PDA

View Full Version : Spotlighting Duane Brown from the MNF game

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I started re-watching the MNF game with the intent to keep my eye on a couple of other players, but the guy (aside from DeJesus 59) that is jumping off the screen, is Duane Brown. He didn't just have a good game - he's often DOMINANT in this game... plus, as was discussed in a previous thread, he's also developing quite a mean streak and "enforcer" type attitude.

Also, I'd add to that - the guy looks like he could become a quite a leader.

I was never against the drafting of Brown - but he was not even on my radar as a possibility for the Texans, I must admit. I don't buy into all the reasons why he gave up so many sacks last year, but MY GOD he looked GREAT against ELITE competition on Monday night.

This guy is going to be a Texan for a long, long time.

Hardcore Texan
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I haven't re-watched the game yet but I will. He stood out to me as well watching it live. He handled Allen very well, including a pancake block he put on him that they showed a replay of. I didn't key in on him every play or anything but his effort and performance made an very good impression during my normal viewing of the game.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I started re-watching the MNF game with the intent to keep my eye on a couple of other players, but the guy (aside from DeJesus 59) that is jumping off the screen, is Duane Brown. He didn't just have a good game - he's often DOMINANT in this game... plus, as was discussed in a previous thread, he's also developing quite a mean streak and "enforcer" type attitude.

Also, I'd add to that - the guy looks like he could become a quite a leader.

I was never against the drafting of Brown - but he was not even on my radar as a possibility for the Texans, I must admit. I don't buy into all the reasons why he gave up so many sacks last year, but MY GOD he looked GREAT against ELITE competition on Monday night.

This guy is going to be a Texan for a long, long time.

What I noticed is that he finished the play with an extra shove . That's what Erik Williams of Dallas used to do , block his guy and give him an extra push for good measure .

BorrowMe
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Dude was simply a beast...

76Texan
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I was definitely in the very minority who actually target him for the LT position in our scheme.

I hoped that we didn't have to spend a first rounder, but LTs was falling wayside by the bunches!

I didn't like the fact that he reported to camp heavier than his playing weight (and couldn't adjust it during the regular season, especially in the early going).

I had emphasized before pre-season that he can get beat off the edge by the quick-twitch guys.
Then I had warned during pre-season that he also needs to watch the inside move.
(I had a "healthy" discussion with a poster named YoungTexanFan).

I did not want Brown to start early in the season, especially against a 3-4 like the Steelers.

But I have always stood by that pick for the long term future of the Texans.

painekiller
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
On the 1st day of the open training camp, i waited for the one on ones of the big guys. And Brown v Mario was not a disappointment. I yell to Brown after the rep, it shows we can see the work you've done. He just smiled and got ready for his next rep.

Told everyone I knew at the practice, don't worry about Brown, he's got it figured out.

He is going to be a rock for us for year to come. Finally.

painekiller
09-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I was definitely in the very minority who actually target him for the LT position in our scheme.

I hoped that we didn't have to spend a first rounder, but LTs was falling wayside by the bunches!

I didn't like the fact that he reported to camp heavier than his playing weight (and couldn't adjust it during the regular season, especially in the early going).

I had emphasized before pre-season that he can get beat off the edge by the quick-twitch guys.
Then I had warned during pre-season that he also needs to watch the inside move.

I did not want Brown to start early in the season, especially against a 3-4 like the Steelers.

Brown was on my radar, in fact I told some people during the Shrine game that we were watching our future tackle. I just had him targeted as a 3rd rounder, who needed work, but with a very high upside.

Was not happy with the timing of the selection, but glad we landed him.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Now that it's 2009, I'm glad that he did get that experience though. Clearly it didn't set him back in terms of confidence. Instead, he was obviously highly motivated to lose some weight, get quicker, and work on technique. I know Freeney was very impressed with him last season. I think the entire league will be this season.

Unfortunately, as a Texan fan, I've been this excited about a LT twice : the first time was in 2002 when we drafted Boselli. The second was in 2006 after watching Spencer play in the preseason. Surely the law of averages are in our favor this time, right?

badboy
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
If he is our LT long term I am relieved. Now if we can just find a DT....

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Now that it's 2009, I'm glad that he did get that experience though. Clearly it didn't set him back in terms of confidence. Instead, he was obviously highly motivated to lose some weight, get quicker, and work on technique. I know Freeney was very impressed with him last season. I think the entire league will be this season.

Unfortunately, as a Texan fan, I've been this excited about a LT twice : the first time was in 2002 when we drafted Boselli. The second was in 2006 after watching Spencer play in the preseason. Surely the law of averages are in our favor this time, right?

Either the law of averages, or "third time's a charm". It's got to be one of them.

Fox
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Glad to see a thread giving him some props. He looked pretty dang good against Allen, I came away impressed. Still need to see how he holds up for 4 quarters this year, but it sure does look like he's turning into the franchise LT we all wanted.

76Texan
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM

The one thing I had agreed with Vinny was that our coaches didn't do right at the start of last year. They jeopardized our chances early on to give the young guys experience.

Obviously that was the tone I heard from the Kubiak camp ("we're still another year from contention", things like that), but I also remember so many Texan fans hoping otherwise. Of course, Kubiak couldn't just come out and say that we were still in rebuilding mode. They were doing the double, IMHO, wanting to put out a decent product for the fans with an eye for the future.

I'm still not sure about their consistency though, much as Kubiak always says about his players... yah we like to see "this guy" to be more consistent...

Yah, I like to see our FO and the coaches to be more consistent as they preached it, just the same!

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I was saying this as one of the things that made me really happy about that game. DB showed up to play. I was very impressed and I'm feeling a lot better about the LT spot now.

steelbtexan
09-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow

A.Gibbs knows more about OL talent than some people (including me) on this MB.

Shocking I say just Shocking

SARCASM;

Wolf6151
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with the concensus here, Brown was a beast against Allen on Monday. The fact that this guy came into TC in shape, dropped weight, and gained quickness showed what he had been doing during the offseason. I applaud him for his dedication, hope that it rubs off on others.

thunderkyss
09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I didn't see it. I'll rewatch the game again...... just because I love watching the Texans so much..... & I'll make a point to look at DB...

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
For the record and in the interest of showing all sides - Lance Zierlein does not share my enthusiasm. He thinks Duane was just okay - good on pass-pro, and not as good in the run blocking. When I was watching, I thought he looked pretty good in his run blocking, but LZ knows his stuff - especially when it comes to O-line play.

michaelm
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
For the record and in the interest of showing all sides - Lance Zierlein does not share my enthusiasm. He thinks Duane was just okay - good on pass-pro, and not as good in the run blocking. When I was watching, I thought he looked pretty good in his run blocking, but LZ knows his stuff - especially when it comes to O-line play.

Buzz kill...

Lol

Carr Bombed
09-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Well to be fair, there isn't going to be many lineman this year that will be good at run blocking against the Vikings. That Dline is just flat out nasty against the run. One day I hope we can be as strong against he run as they are......especially up the middle.

steelbtexan
09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
If you want the DL to be like the Vikings they need to add two 340lbs guys that are as mean as HE**.

hookinreds
09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I pulled it off the DVR earlier tonight and Brown showed great footwork, much better than he had at anypoint last year. The two times that Allen got MS Brown was not engaged. I don't know what Brown's assignment was on those two plays but it was almost as if Allen was in a delayed rush on one and the other was a misdirection on the naked bootleg where we rolled the dice that Allen would bight on the misdirection and he didn't leaving MS on an island waiting to get smoked. Not one other time did Brown get manhandled by Allen. It's hard for me to "judge" his run blocking but he looked like he kept his assignments.

Carr Bombed
09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
The naked bootleg towards Allen's side of the field was just a braindead call......that was really stupid. If Allen doesn't bite on the fake, it's pretty much a sack everytime.

barrett
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
I think he looked excellent. 2nd week in a row. I will say that I felt like Allen was perhaps slightly aware of the fact that it was preseason. I don't want to take away from Browns showing though. I think Allen at 80% is still better than most DE's any time and Brown didn't flinch. Our entire OLine is looking more consistent in pass pro than last season (and that's with Pitts and Meyers rusty).

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
The naked bootleg towards Allen's side of the field was just a braindead call......that was really stupid. If Allen doesn't bite on the fake, it's pretty much a sack everytime.

I agree and was screaming the same during the game. I know that misdirection and naked boots are a big part of what makes our offense click - but come on, don't make that call against Jared Allen. Nine times out of ten he's not going to bite.

I love that play, just not in that situation, and against that particular DE.

Big Lou
09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
If he is our LT long term I am relieved. Now if we can just find a DT....

I agree a big nasty bad ass DT, but another 1st rounder on D-Line, jeez.....
As that guy at the chron that no one likes said eventually we'll have to get it right besides #90.

dalemurphy
09-03-2009, 12:11 AM
I agree and was screaming the same during the game. I know that misdirection and naked boots are a big part of what makes our offense click - but come on, don't make that call against Jared Allen. Nine times out of ten he's not going to bite.

Don't make that call unless you are gashing them on the run... Clearly, we weren't. I'm not sure what Allen's incentive was to crash down on the run when we are gaining 1 yard at a time.

BigBull17
09-03-2009, 11:02 AM

And with those two monsters, he plays pass first. That was an awfull call, IMO.

TimeKiller
09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm just glad to see someone on the offensive side of the ball playing with a frowny face. A little grumpiness even...

mussop
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm just glad to see someone on the offensive side of the ball playing with a frowny face. A little grumpiness even...

What about Pitts? No one gives this guy credit for his nasty play. Remember, he is the one that hunted down Allen last year and seperated his shoulder after his cheap shot on Schaub.

hookinreds
09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Pitts definitly made a difference, and I think that helped Okoye, who I thought improved his play some as well. I was keying on Okoye on D and Brown on O, and I'm trying to remember a specific play were Okoye messed up, and I can't. I thought he did well on a number of plays forcing the RB to bounce the play to the outside and was double teamed quite a few times on stunts for Mario.

DiehardChris
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Pitts definitly made a difference, and I think that helped Okoye, who I thought improved his play some as well. I was keying on Okoye on D and Brown on O, and I'm trying to remember a specific play were Okoye messed up, and I can't. I thought he did well on a number of plays forcing the RB to bounce the play to the outside and was double teamed quite a few times on stunts for Mario.

RE: Okoye

He was better against the pass than he was against the run - which is pretty much how he's always been.

One thing I noticed about Okoye is that often times he was LIGHTNING quick off the snap - way ahead of the rest of the D-line. It's like he knew the snap count on a couple of plays.

So I guess that's good, since his quickness is his strength as a DT.

TimeKiller
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
What about Pitts? No one gives this guy credit for his nasty play. Remember, he is the one that hunted down Allen last year and seperated his shoulder after his cheap shot on Schaub.

Can't say either way...I guess he's got a bit of subtlety in his demeanor.

Carr Bombed
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Also what about Winston? Last year, Winston has mauling people in the running game.......he gets after it as well.

badboy
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree a big nasty bad ass DT, but another 1st rounder on D-Line, jeez.....
As that guy at the chron that no one likes said eventually we'll have to get it right besides #90.
It has been posted that DT is pretty deep in next draft so hopefully.....or maybe we can get one after final cuts Saturday. Doesn't it feel good to hear compliments on a tackle showing iniative, correcting weight and earning a pay check? Bye Bye TJ. I don't care how well Travis does in Cali as long as it is enough to bump the pick to a 5. I am spending it already in my mind. Go DB!

thunderkyss
09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Of course, Kubiak couldn't just come out and say that we were still in rebuilding mode.

rebuilding mode is just another excuse. our schedule lent itself to a better than 8-8 record. Personally, I think Kubiak hurt us by starting Duane Brown, when we had a perfectly fine LT in Salaam. The future no, but he could play that position better than Brown... at that time.

I kinda understand making Slaton a Backup, but Green (& I was very optomistic about signing Green) should have been off the team, with another running back in his place to start the season. But I think Green hurt us as well.... blame Kubiak.

Of course the Richard Smith thing... blame Kubiak.

& Game management.... I think letting Shanahan be a real Offensive Coordinator was huge. I don't know if he was ready at the beginning of the season or not. May be Kubiak was doing his due dilligence? With all the other problems on this team....... he might have made the right choices in the long run. But I think freeing himself up earlier to focus on the game, and not the offense would have helped us out tremendously..... blame Kubiak.

Don't take this the wrong way. Kubiak F'd up. IMHO. But I still think he is the right man for the job.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 02:42 PM

A better call was the bootleg pass to Anderson for a TD against the Saints.
Anderson came in to hold up the DE momentarily before releasing out to catch the ball. (His blocking fooled their secondary).

76Texan
09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
rebuilding mode is just another excuse. our schedule lent itself to a better than 8-8 record. Personally, I think Kubiak hurt us by starting Duane Brown, when we had a perfectly fine LT in Salaam. The future no, but he could play that position better than Brown... at that time.

I kinda understand making Slaton a Backup, but Green (& I was very optomistic about signing Green) should have been off the team, with another running back in his place to start the season. But I think Green hurt us as well.... blame Kubiak.

Of course the Richard Smith thing... blame Kubiak.

& Game management.... I think letting Shanahan be a real Offensive Coordinator was huge. I don't know if he was ready at the beginning of the season or not. May be Kubiak was doing his due dilligence? With all the other problems on this team....... he might have made the right choices in the long run. But I think freeing himself up earlier to focus on the game, and not the offense would have helped us out tremendously..... blame Kubiak.

Don't take this the wrong way. Kubiak F'd up. IMHO. But I still think he is the right man for the job.
I like Kubiak. I hope that relieving himself of the play calling duty will help him to concentrate on the game.

But then again, who knows. He might script the whole game such that play calling becomes a moot point, LOL!