PDA

View Full Version : Diles named "Will" starter

barrett
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
per BRB

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/9/2/1012302/texans-name-zac-diles-starting

hot pickle
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
was a intense battle between him and adibi i do like diles alot so hopefully he can start the season were he left off lat season before his injury

Blake
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
After Monday night, and Kubiaks comments, I am not surprised.

Hooston Texan
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Adibi has more potential, but Diles is more reliable. With our shaky secondary, we cannot afford poor gap integrity, and that is a big weakness in Adibi's game right now. I imagine he'll be worked into our longer yardage packages, but we can't afford to give up 75 and 45 yard runs every game.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
per BRB

Defense just got better... IMO, the following defense is at least average in YPG allowed but above average in sacks and turnovers.

Mario, Cody/Okoye, Deljuan/ASmtih, ASmith/Barwin

Diles, Demeco, Cushing/Bentley

Dunta, Reeves, Wilson, ??????

badboy
09-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Come on 7th rounder make me proud. I've been rooting for him. Now if we can just get Foster on the field a bit Friday.

nunusguy
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Didn't they get Diles in the 6th or 7th round ?
This guy has turned into one of the best "Value" picks ever for the Texans.
And also very versatile and resilient. I mean he loses his starting job at SAM last year because he breaks a leg, then it was handed to the teams top pick this year, but ZD says not a proble, I'll "take" the starting job at WIL.
I say kudos to young Mr. Diles for his never say quit attitude.

Porky
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Defense just got better... IMO, the following defense is at least average in YPG allowed but above average in sacks and turnovers.

I agree. A bunch of question marks are better then anything we can roll out at SS. What a joke that position is and anyone who says we no longer have any glaring holes isn't paying much attention. Yes that means you Richard Justice.

I have been sorely disapointed with Adibi. I really thought he would improve and nail that job down but he has looked lost, isn't making any tackles, is out of position, and just overall looks like a guy that is closer to being cut then being named a starter. Diles isn't great, but is competent and can hold down that fort until Adibi either gets his act together or we make a move in the offseason.

rmartin65
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Not surprised. I never saw what people saw in him.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree. A bunch of question marks are better then anything we can roll out at SS. What a joke that position is and anyone who says we no longer have any glaring holes isn't paying much attention. Yes that means you Richard Justice.

I have been sorely disapointed with Adibi. I really thought he would improve and nail that job down but he has looked lost, isn't making any tackles, is out of position, and just overall looks like a guy that is closer to being cut then being named a starter. Diles isn't great, but is competent and can hold down that fort until Adibi either gets his act together or we make a move in the offseason.

I actually think Diles is a quality starting LB. I was discussing with Barrett how deep our LB corp is, because Bentley is a hell of a player too. I fully expect him to see significant time at SLB until Cushing really gets going. Frankly, I'd love to see Bently in the starting lineup and Cushing on the bench, not because I'm not high on Cushing but because Bentley is so darn solid!

I've gone giddy! Here we come 12-4!!!!!!!!!!!!

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Not surprised. I never saw what people saw in him.

I'm very high on Adibi. I think he can be an excellent player. He's just a little undisciplined and raw. He can turn himself into quite the playermaker, IMO. However, the team clearly made a good decision. Zac Diles is clearly the better player right now.

badboy
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Didn't they get Diles in the 6th or 7th round ?
This guy has turned into one of the best "Value" picks ever for the Texans.
And also very versatile and resilient. I mean he loses his starting job at SAM last year because he breaks a leg, then it was handed to the teams top pick this year, but ZD says not a proble, I'll "take" the starting job at WIL.
I say kudos to young Mr. Diles for his never say quit attitude.Diles is like Ryans in that he just wants on the field.

brakos82
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Anybody know what Will Demps is doing? :thinking:

He may have been a bit "odd" but he's better than ??????.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Boy, the Texans' safety history is comically bad. When your fondest memories at safety are of: Eric Davis and Marlon McCree, you know it's been pretty ugly. I'm actually fine with Eugene Wilson at FS, despite his poor game Monday. However, our SS situation is really ugly! I'm looking forward to seeing Busing play a lot on Friday. And, I'm hoping to see the team make a little trade or grab someone after cutdowns. I actually expect it to happen.

rmartin65
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm very high on Adibi. I think he can be an excellent player. He's just a little undisciplined and raw. He can turn himself into quite the playermaker, IMO. However, the team clearly made a good decision. Zac Diles is clearly the better player right now.

The NFL, AFL, CFL and the FA market are littered with players with physical tools but lack the mental tools and instincts. Adibi lacks instincts. Hopefully he can learn, but I am not feeling it.

barrett
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Boy, the Texans' safety history is comically bad. When your fondest memories at safety are of: Eric Davis and Marlon McCree, you know it's been pretty ugly. I'm actually fine with Eugene Wilson at FS, despite his poor game Monday. However, our SS situation is really ugly! I'm looking forward to seeing Busing play a lot on Friday. And, I'm hoping to see the team make a little trade or grab someone after cutdowns. I actually expect it to happen.

Trying to figure out what Ferguson did to be slotted behind Barber other than being born sooner. I certainly haven't seen him play worse than Barber.

badboy
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Me too. I think we might pick up 3-4 guys. Not saying all will stick but I expect some new faces.

Jackie Chiles
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
This is a good move, our run defense is going to benefit from this. I was as excited about Adibi as anyone coming into this season but you can't play as poorly as he has so far and still get a job. Diles doesn't have the prototype athleticism for the weakside but he is going to be rock solid against the run and I trust him to be disciplined and know his assignment on every play. Potentially 3 good run stopping LBs when Cushing gets back. I also won't be surprised to see Adibi get a little playing time in obvious passing situations, especially early with Cushing still shaking off the rust.

TimeKiller
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Rightfully so. If this was based on who played better last year I think Adibi probably ends up with the spot but this decision was clearly made yesterday because Diles has outplayed Adibi during these 3 preseason games. I think Diles' frame suits WILL over SAM anyway. I'd say I'm disappointed with Adibi but Diles has always shown himself to be a player.

Ah, what the hell, I AM disappointed with Adibi. He played well last year, got some lbs. in the offseason and still looks fast/agile. He had a nice tip that almost caused an interception on Monday but I can't think of anything else. He's not a wrap up tackler like Diles but I doubt Diles can bring the coverage because of his speed which is a clear step under Adibi's.

Adibi for SS. Molden for FS. Madden for real life.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
This is a good move, our run defense is going to benefit from this. I was as excited about Adibi as anyone coming into this season but you can't play as poorly as he has so far and still get a job. Diles doesn't have the prototype athleticism for the weakside but he is going to be rock solid against the run and I trust him to be disciplined and know his assignment on every play. Potentially 3 good run stopping LBs when Cushing gets back. I also won't be surprised to see Adibi get a little playing time in obvious passing situations, especially early with Cushing still shaking off the rust.

Perhaps, but I think the rotation with Cushing will generally involve Bentley. Bentley has more bulk and is a better fit at SLB, particularly running a 4-3 Under. Plus, Bentley's consistently high performance on ST and whenever he's called on has earned him some playing time.

badboy
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Trying to figure out what Ferguson did to be slotted behind Barber other than being born sooner. I certainly haven't seen him play worse than Barber.You probably know this but Smith was real high on Barber when he was drafted. His pedigree did not hurt but so far has not helped.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Rightfully so. If this was based on who played better last year I think Adibi probably ends up with the spot but this decision was clearly made yesterday because Diles has outplayed Adibi during these 3 preseason games. I think Diles' frame suits WILL over SAM anyway. I'd say I'm disappointed with Adibi but Diles has always shown himself to be a player.

Ah, what the hell, I AM disappointed with Adibi. He played well last year, got some lbs. in the offseason and still looks fast/agile. He had a nice tip that almost caused an interception on Monday but I can't think of anything else. He's not a wrap up tackler like Diles but I doubt Diles can bring the coverage because of his speed which is a clear step under Adibi's.

Adibi for SS. Molden for FS. Madden for real life.

with Demeco's good health, the addition of Cushing, ASmith, Barwin, I don't think we are in as desperate need for athleticism on defense. Clearly, right now, tackling and discipline are much greater issues for this defense.

Jackie Chiles
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Perhaps, but I think the rotation with Cushing will generally involve Bentley. Bentley has more bulk and is a better fit at SLB, particularly running a 4-3 Under. Plus, Bentley's consistently high performance on ST and whenever he's called on has earned him some playing time.

Oh I love Bentley too, I was mainly talking about nickle D with two LBs. I think Cushing is going to be one of those two but it may take him a little while (maybe not) to play an entire game and missing a couple passing downs won't be the end of the world.

TimeKiller
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM

per ht.com

Bentley 6' 245
Cushing 6'3'' 262

And Cushing has muscles popping out of muscles so I don't understand that. But your absolutely correct about discipline vs. athleticism. The D just got a big injection of bigger, stronger, faster.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
per ht.com

Bentley 6' 245
Cushing 6'3'' 262

And Cushing has muscles popping out of muscles so I don't understand that.

More bulk than Diles or Adibi.. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Porky
09-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I actually think Diles is a quality starting LB. I was discussing with Barrett how deep our LB corp is, because Bentley is a hell of a player too. I fully expect him to see significant time at SLB until Cushing really gets going. Frankly, I'd love to see Bently in the starting lineup and Cushing on the bench, not because I'm not high on Cushing but because Bentley is so darn solid!

I've gone giddy! Here we come 12-4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Define quality. He is competent overall. But he isn't a plus LB. He is a liability in coverage, and is average to above average against the run. At least that is my take. He's an effort guy and has gotten the most out of his God given abilities that he can, but he is a fairly limited athlete and is somewhat under-sized. He is what he is. Competent, but works better as a really good backup in the long run imo.

Ultimately, my guess is he is in on run downs and Adibi works himself on the field in nickel and dime packages. Both will play.

barrett
09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
You probably know this but Smith was real high on Barber when he was drafted. His pedigree did not hurt but so far has not helped.

No doubt. I remember liking the pick at that point in the draft for his bloodlines alone. I'm a HUGE fan of his big brother. But as a coach, I'm trying to figure out what they saw that suggested that he should be on the field with the 1's. I never saw it. Not even when he was with the 2's. I figured they wanted to see how he did with better support around him but after seeing it with my own eyes I know the coaches see it too. I don't expect him to be starting on Sundays. I'll be surprised if he is.

Mr teX
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
The NFL, AFL, CFL and the FA market are littered with players with physical tools but lack the mental tools and instincts. Adibi lacks instincts. Hopefully he can learn, but I am not feeling it.

In the NO game where he laid the big hit on the slant route & jarred the ball loose to force a 4th down

the tipped favre pass in the red zone that should've been picked forcing a 4th down

You don't call those instincts?

I think kubes is being a little too quick with this decision, especially since our DT's aren't exactly stallwarts.

barrett
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Ultimately, my guess is he is in on run downs and Adibi works himself on the field in nickel and dime packages. Both will play.

I agree that we could see both of them. Maybe not week 1 but as the season progresses. I'm still an Adibi guy. I'm a Diles guy too. Hell, I'm a Bentley guy. Demeco is just okay.

rmartin65
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM
In the NO game where he laid the big hit on the slant route & jarred the ball loose to force a 4th down

the tipped favre pass in the red zone that should've been picked forcing a 4th down

You don't call those instincts?

I think kubes is being a little too quick with this decision, especially since our DT's aren't exactly stallwarts.

No, I dont really consider those. Even if I did, 2 plays out of 3 games cannot qualify as instincts.

Silver Oak
09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Me too. I think we might pick up 3-4 guys. Not saying all will stick but I expect some new faces.

got any ideas on who's on the cut bubble on other teams?

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
It makes no sense to me why this decision would be made now, and not after the last preseason game, where Kubiak has already said both Diles and Adibi will play a lot.

barrett
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I would guess that it was leaked. I would guess that Diles had been told but that Adibi hadn't. I would like to clarify that I'm totally guessing.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I would guess that it was leaked. I would guess that Diles had been told but that Adibi hadn't. I would like to clarify that I'm totally guessing.

sorry, I leaked it. I thought I was having a private conversation.

barrett
09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
speaker phone is a *****. sorry. Rick and I were having coffee.

:: ok, enough. i have to mix a record. enough of this football nonsense.::

TexansSeminole
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
It makes no sense to me why this decision would be made now, and not after the last preseason game, where Kubiak has already said both Diles and Adibi will play a lot.

Maybe to light a fire under Adibi.

HOU-TEX
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Define quality. He is competent overall. But he isn't a plus LB. He is a liability in coverage, and is average to above average against the run. At least that is my take. He's an effort guy and has gotten the most out of his God given abilities that he can, but he is a fairly limited athlete and is somewhat under-sized. He is what he is. Competent, but works better as a really good backup in the long run imo.

This is similar to my opinion. I was really hoping Adibi did well due to the need for speed at the LB position. IMO, we already have D-Ryans, who might be a stud, but is a liability in coverage. Now we're adding Diles, who is also a liability in coverage.

Adibi has disappointed me big time in the run game this preseason so I suppose we're doing this to stop the bleeding in run defense while making our pass defense worse.

My random LB thought of the day: I think Buster Davis has a decent shot at making this roster if we keep 6. Thompson has been a major failure and June is on IR already.

D-Ryans
Cushing
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Davis

Jackie Chiles
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
My random LB thought of the day: I think Buster Davis has a decent shot at making this roster if we keep 6. Thompson has been a major failure and June is on IR already.

D-Ryans
Cushing
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Davis

I can get behind that. Davis has been a guy that has stood out on ST this preseason and those guys have been few and far between. I mean our coverage has been poor on punts and we haven't given our guys any room. I thought that area was going to be much more of a strength. He has looked solid as a LBer as well.

nero THE zero
09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Trying to figure out what Ferguson did to be slotted behind Barber other than being born sooner. I certainly haven't seen him play worse than Barber.

Ferguson has been fine, if not good, for us.

I think Barber was getting a chance to start because (1) he's younger, (2) he's better outside of the box, and (3) he's a better blitzer.

But, Ferguson's proved to be the better player, so I'd be surprised if he's not starting against the Jets.

DiehardChris
09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I can get behind that. Davis has been a guy that has stood out on ST this preseason and those guys have been few and far between. I mean our coverage has been poor on punts and we haven't given our guys any room. I thought that area was going to be much more of a strength. He has looked solid as a LBer as well.

I think the (continued) nagging injuries to Chaun Thompson have pretty much sealed the LB competition to the six that were just mentioned.

HOU-TEX
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Plus, he's been pretty impressive at LB too. Albeit against backups, but that's his role as well.

When camp began a month ago I thought he looked really out of shape, but he's got my attention (not that that means much)

will742
09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm fairly dissapointed in this decision. Not to say it wasn't the right one, just I expected big things from Adibi this season. I really hope he gets A LOT of playing time if he isn't starting by our bye week.

GP
09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree that we could see both of them. Maybe not week 1 but as the season progresses. I'm still an Adibi guy. I'm a Diles guy too. Hell, I'm a Bentley guy. Demeco is just okay.

(chuckles at how this comment slipped by someone's radar)

disaacks3
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
In pre-season, both N.O. and the Vikes have exposed the weaknesses in our LB corps.

Diles - Has really played better this year (athletically), but is still slower than Adibi and whiffed on tackles in the backfield against the Vikes and failed to 'wrap up' several times.

Adibi - Has "big" playmaker potential, but appears a tad slower than last year and keeps finding himself out of position to make the play. NOT what you want to see in a WIL. IMHO - Will be better long-term WIL than anyone on the roster.

Ryans - Looks like he's recovered from his injuries last year and is laying the wood like never before. Exposed by N.O. though for keying on the FB too much and when RB went opposite the FB flow, he was out of position. He's still our best tackler.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
In pre-season, both N.O. and the Vikes have exposed the weaknesses in our LB corps.

Diles - Has really played better this year (athletically), but is still slower than Adibi and whiffed on tackles in the backfield against the Vikes and failed wrap up several times.

Adibi - Has "big" playmaker potential, but appears a tad slower than last year and keeps finding himself out of position to make the play. NOT what you want to see in a WIL. IMHO - Will be beter long-term WIL than anyone on the roster.

Ryans - Looks like he's recovered from his injuries last year and is laying the wood like never before. Exposed by N.O. though for keying on the FB too much and when RB went opposite the FB flow, he was out of position. He's still our best tackler.

You need to adopt Travis Johnson ... quick .

Mr teX
09-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Diles - Has really played better this year (athletically), but is still slower than Adibi and whiffed on tackles in the backfield against the Vikes and failed wrap up several times.

This is what i'm saying i saw that alot from him during the vikes game. wasn't he also part of the duo that let harvin out of that double tackle b/c they didn't wrap up? I can't recall of him making any plays during any of the games.

Adibi - Has "big" playmaker potential, but appears a tad slower than last year and keeps finding himself out of position to make the play. NOT what you want to see in a WIL. IMHO - Will be beter long-term WIL than anyone on the roster.
The thing with him is he's got the big play potential & we have to remember he hasn't played a whole lot in his 2 seasons alot less than even diles

I say just let adibi get his turn & if he continues to screw up in the season, then u bench him.

76Texan
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Is this just for the last preseason game or is it set in tone for the season opener?

nero THE zero
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Yikes.

I'm going to assume he was being facetious.

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2009, 04:27 PM

I don't think it slipped by. I think everyone read it and laughed.

BorrowMe
09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I just can't wait for the season to start already....Go TEXANS!!

Fox
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm a fan of the move. I started the off-season really excited about Adibi and his potential, and I still have a lot of hope for his potential to eventually develop into a starter for us, but after the last 3 preseason games I think the team is in better hands with Diles for the time being. Diles has shown much more aptitude for diagnosing run plays and has been much more apt to stick his nose in there than Adibi has exhibited. Diles has whiffed on some tackles, as has most of the team, but at least he wraps up when he gets his hands on them.

Adibi has loads of athleticism, potential, and playmaking ability but too many times his failure to read the play left huge holes for running backs to run through. With our run D being in the current state that it is, we can't afford the luxury of having a linebacker like Adibi who's shown some soft arm tackling and little ability to play tough vs the ground game. Besides, Diles was our most productive LB last year while healthy, he's decent in coverage and can rush the passer when called on. Pair him with a pro-bowler in Demeco and a young stud like Cushing and I think we're doing alright in our LB corp. Adibi and Bentley should make for good depth as well.

mussop
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
No one here is a bigger Adibi supporter than me but I think its the right move albeit a little early. Right now we need the most consistant players on the field. clearly Dyles is that player at the moment. I still beleive Adibi will blossum into a really good LB. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Right now the biggest weakness I have seen isnt the DT's like so many others point out but the lack of run support by our safetys. I cant remember a single play where one of our safeties have made a big play by blowing up a run play. There nonexistant in run support. I dont know if its the scheme or were just that bad. I was hoping when we became "Denver South" that we would inherit an Atwater or Lynch style safety along with the ZB offense.

Mike Kerns
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
per BRB

Hey, I wrote that! LOL

Anyways, I was surprised at the reaction I received on there in the comments section after saying that I thought he was having a good year last season before his injury. I always liked Zac Diles and I think he deserves it. And I really like Adibi, too. But apparently there are more people good with Diles on this board than the faithful over at BRB.

barrett
09-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Believe it or not, (I can't believe I'm saying this out loud) this is a pretty well informed group. (Not exactly modest however.) I'm not taking anything away from BRB. I read it several times a day. It's a great source of information. I'm usually frustrated with how reactionary this group is but in all honesty, it's because many of the posters here are very well informed. (Thanks to great sources such as BRB) So sometimes there's a tendency to over react to every piece of news.

Okay, okay... I love you guys! There I said it!

Now I'm going to go shoot something.

Rozelle
09-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Runs himself out of plays...
Can play out of control...
Misses too many easy tackles...
Takes time to digest what he sees...

These were the knocks by some scouts on Adibi coming out of Va Tech. With a new DC, may take Adibi some time to absorb things.
Thought they played fairly well defensively after the big run by Peterson. DeMeco sure looked good!

Vinny
09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Haven't yet read the thread yet....Too bad Cato June had to get injured. This was his job if Adibi disappointed. I think Diles will do a good job though. He's technically sound.

badboy
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
got any ideas on who's on the cut bubble on other teams?I am definitely not a guru and do not follow other teams as I prob should but following links may give you some info and one is insider's comments on what players go through.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2008/08/30/cut-down-day-in-the-nfl-players-galore-getting-axed/
Of note is Vikings releasing Bollinger as John David Booty wins a spot.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/09/02/mindset/index.html

badboy
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm fairly dissapointed in this decision. Not to say it wasn't the right one, just I expected big things from Adibi this season. I really hope he gets A LOT of playing time if he isn't starting by our bye week.I think it would have been interesting to see if Adibi would have been the starter if DIles had been healthy.

badboy
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
No one here is a bigger Adibi supporter than me but I think its the right move albeit a little early. Right now we need the most consistant players on the field. clearly Dyles is that player at the moment. I still beleive Adibi will blossum into a really good LB. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Right now the biggest weakness I have seen isnt the DT's like so many others point out but the lack of run support by our safetys. I cant remember a single play where one of our safeties have made a big play by blowing up a run play. There nonexistant in run support. I dont know if its the scheme or were just that bad. I was hoping when we became "Denver South" that we would inherit an Atwater or Lynch style safety along with the ZB offense.
I want both safeties, the water boy, cheer leaders, Bob McNair and a tuna sandwich (slip on this!) playing against the pass to help our corners. Our moves on Dline and LBs should stop the run. If the RB gets past these guys, Hey, AD! Man you can run!, I want the safeties to run forward to tackle not be caught in the box trying to guess the play and then trying to run down a WR from behind.

barrett
09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Is this just for the last preseason game or is it set in tone for the season opener?

According to McClain Diles will start at SAM on Friday and Adibi at WILL. I imagine the "announcement" is in regards to Sunday when Cushing returns to the lineup. I expect to see Bentley getting several reps at SAM on Friday so that He's ready to spell Cushing.

Vinny
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
According to McClain Diles will start at SAM on Friday and Adibi at WILL. I imagine the "announcement" is in regards to Sunday when Cushing returns to the lineup. I expect to see Bentley getting several reps at SAM on Friday so that He's ready to spell Cushing.
From what I understand Cushing will be brought along slowly at first. I imagine in certain down and distance packages they will have him in there and as long as he doesn't get hurt he'll start week 2....at least thats what I get when I read between all the lines.

76Texan
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM

What I'm thinking then, since June is down and out, we need to see guys at the WILL. Besides Adibi, Diles seems the logical choice at the position.

They plan on having Cushing at the SAM; and Bentley can always back up the spot.

Giving Diles reps at the WILL is only natural.

It will be interesting to see who will play most at OLBs for us this season!

El Tejano
09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I just want to know what this does for our defense on Madden!

mussop
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I want both safeties, the water boy, cheer leaders, Bob McNair and a tuna sandwich (slip on this!) playing against the pass to help our corners. Our moves on Dline and LBs should stop the run. If the RB gets past these guys, Hey, AD! Man you can run!, I want the safeties to run forward to tackle not be caught in the box trying to guess the play and then trying to run down a WR from behind.

Im not talking about putting them in the box. Watch the Minnasota game. There safeties came up and made plenty of good plays against the run without being in the box. Our safeties are just horrible at run support. THe only time you see them in on a run play is if its 10 yards down field. Im actually starting to miss CC Brown after watching these guys. Please football gods let someone cut a decent vet S and let us sign him.

LZ (http://www.scribd.com/doc/19407504/2009-View-Week-One) agrees with me.

ObsiWan
09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
From what I understand Cushing will be brought along slowly at first. I imagine in certain down and distance packages they will have him in there and as long as he doesn't get hurt he'll start week 2....at least thats what I get when I read between all the lines.

I don't care what he looks like physically, having Cushing start reg season games without any other real time experience scares the bejeezus outta me.

Goldensilence
09-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Diles doesn't excite me as a starter, but like others have said he's pretty sound overall. Disapointed that Adibi hasn't had had the preseason I thought he would since adding some extra weight in the off season. We really need Cush to be ready to go by the first or second game of the season.

If not i get these terrible premonitions about TEs over the middle again this year.

If Davis doesn't make the roster there's some interesting names at LB.

Far as SS goes I wish the team would've signed Mike Brown formerly of the Bears. When he was healthy in Chicago he was a playmaker.

dalemurphy
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Diles doesn't excite me as a starter, but like others have said he's pretty sound overall. Disapointed that Adibi hasn't had had the preseason I thought he would since adding some extra weight in the off season. We really need Cush to be ready to go by the first or second game of the season.

If not i get these terrible premonitions about TEs over the middle again this year.

If Davis doesn't make the roster there's some interesting names at LB.

Far as SS goes I wish the team would've signed Mike Brown formerly of the Bears. When he was healthy in Chicago he was a playmaker.

A WLB that is in position and makes the tackle is quite exciting to me after the past two preseason games.

thunderkyss
09-04-2009, 09:34 AM

They've been saying that Cushing was going to be playing...... they needed a starter at WILL......... why wait 'till after the game to name your starter?

Specnatz
09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
They've been saying that Cushing was going to be playing...... they needed a starter at WILL......... why wait 'till after the game to name your starter?

Not to mention I doubt starters will be playing a whole lot during to nights game.

Goldensilence
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
A WLB that is in position and makes the tackle is quite exciting to me after the past two preseason games.

True, but I am meaning as whole he's not a guy that I think has the talent to be special. I think his skill set is solid but his footspeed is probably better set at him playing MLB, but we're got a pretty darn good one starting.

I think with the position relatively set for now it wouldn't surprise me to see Adibi settle in and start looking good as he did last year. Really sucks that June went down so early.