PDA

View Full Version : So did Amobi Akoye play well . . or not?

Marcus
08-31-2009, 11:55 PM
After browsing the threads, I'm reading comments that he played well, and comments that he didn't.

So which is it? If you thought he did, explain the reasons why? If you thought he didn't, explain the reasons why.

Goatcheese
09-01-2009, 05:52 AM
After browsing the threads, I'm reading comments that he played well, and comments that he didn't.

So which is it? If you thought he did, explain the reasons why? If you thought he didn't, explain the reasons why.

I thought he flashed some of what we were expecting from him last night. He got 4 or 5 good pressures, and penetrated a few times in the running game. He played well laterally and made some nice diving plays to keep AP from breaking loose into the secondary for a big gain. He's still not exactly stout at the point of attack, and we may just have to be willing to accept that as a flaw in his game.

I would give him a B- for this game overall. Pretty good, but not a great game.

ATXtexanfan
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Agree with goatcheese. Nice post. Good game from amobi and entire D.

wolf123
09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I thought he flashed some of what we were expecting from him last night. He got 4 or 5 good pressures, and penetrated a few times in the running game. He played well laterally and made some nice diving plays to keep AP from breaking loose into the secondary for a big gain. He's still not exactly stout at the point of attack, and we may just have to be willing to accept that as a flaw in his game.

I would give him a B- for this game overall. Pretty good, but not a great game.

I agree he definatly had some good pressures. The thing I was most impressed about was on the outside runs I could see him effectively moving through the trash and running sideline to sideline.

TEXANS84
09-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I saw Amobi in the backfield alot last night. Problem was the runningback was already past him.

Texan_Bill
09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I saw Amobi in the backfield alot last night. Problem was the runningback was already past him.

Sad but true... :heh:

eriadoc
09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Just off the top of my head, I remember Okoye getting good pressure on a couple pass plays, and I remember some good backside pursuit (which we already knew he was good at). I also remember him running himself right out of a few plays.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Amobi looked like a back up DT with potential to start one day in the NFL. In my mind a lot has changed week over week, but it sure does not make me feel better about our DT situation.

BTW, I believe Barwin is too disruptive to be off the field and we should try Smith at DT.

Goatcheese
09-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Just off the top of my head, I remember Okoye getting good pressure on a couple pass plays, and I remember some good backside pursuit (which we already knew he was good at). I also remember him running himself right out of a few plays.

These are the sort of things you would expect to see in an attacking defense. You attack the backfield, then try and make a play. Mario over ran plays, and went the wrong way a few times himself. It's the price we pay for dumping the read and react crap from the last few years in favor of a more aggressive playmaking style. This sort of defense is going to get more stops behind the line of scrimmage, but also stuff fewer runs at the line as a trade off. Personally I like it.

eriadoc
09-01-2009, 09:12 AM
These are the sort of things you would expect to see in an attacking defense. You attack the backfield, then try and make a play. Mario over ran plays, and went the wrong way a few times himself. It's the price we pay for dumping the read and react crap from the last few years in favor of a more aggressive playmaking style. This sort of defense is going to get more stops behind the line of scrimmage, but also stuff fewer runs at the line as a trade off. Personally I like it.

Yep. I didn't say it was good or bad - the results will dictate that. I don't think Okoye had a bad game, but I don't think he had the results to say he had a good game, either. He showed me enough to put me back in "wait and see" mode. Besides, what choice do we have?

Goatcheese
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Yep. I didn't say it was good or bad - the results will dictate that. I don't think Okoye had a bad game, but I don't think he had the results to say he had a good game, either. He showed me enough to put me back in "wait and see" mode. Besides, what choice do we have?

Uncontrolled nerd rage all over the front page of Texans Talk? :scarygirl:

HOU-TEX
09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Better than last week (can't get much worse), but still ain't good enough.

GP
09-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Like I said a few days ago:

He isn't going to get his name in the papers on Monday.

He's what we call a "role player," or a "utility guy."

He's the guy who commands a double-team, and some other dlineman busts through and gets the tackle or sack.

I noticed it last night.

I think we're getting hung up on Amobi being Mario version 2.0, and we might need to settle for the idea that he's going to be the guy who occupies blockers.

There's lots of guys like him on other teams--guys who don't get the stats, or the notice, but who are actively helping the other players around them.

I'm not saying let's throw a pity party for poor Amobi, and that he's being scapegoated or anything. I think it just "is what it is," IMO.

Hervoyel
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Runs himself out of plays all the time and he is seemingly very easy to steer out of position. The Vikings offensive line had their way with him for the most part and every time I saw him in the backfield the ball was on it's way out or the back had already departed. I'm ready to see Smith and Robinson back there. Go with Williams-Robinson-Smith-Barwin and just see what happens.