PDA

View Full Version : Our D still has a loooooong way to go

blitz90
08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I was hoping to see this 'more aggressive' defense and have been nothing but dissapointed thus far. I guess they could still improve for the regular season but after watching defenses in the preseason like the Vikes, Giants, Ravens, etc. this team is no where near a D that is aggressive. Just sayin.....

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
What game are you watching?

TheIronDuke
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Did you just start following the Texans because this D we're seeing is a hell of a lot more aggressive than what we did last year. We're still using the 8 yard cushions on the receivers but the blitzes we're running are extremely exotic by our usual Texans standards.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
I think he's watching the defense that's giving the Vikings 300 yards and 17 points so far. I think the technical term for this defense is "shit". We are in for a long, long season with this pack of stiffs serving as our defense. They can't tackle to save their lives just like Richard Smith's version of this mess.

I'm so pissed off right now for believing in these guys. They are so soft and just incompetent tacklers.

Amobi is lost. I'm so disgusted with that kid. I've been watching him all night and he's essentially useless. He just gets steered out of plays with what appears to be almost no effort. Hell, half the time he takes himself out of the play. When they send him packing ala TJ next year or the year after I'm going to be so sick. Until then I'm going to watch him suck and "be so sick". Classic damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't project that we foolishly gambled on.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Did you just start following the Texans because this D we're seeing is a hell of a lot more aggressive than what we did last year. We're still using the 8 yard cushions on the receivers but the blitzes we're running are extremely exotic by our usual Texans standards.

Yes, more aggressive. Just as ineffective of course but definitely more aggressive. They can't tackle anybody. Nobody can wrap up the ball carrier.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, more aggressive. Just as ineffective of course but definitely more aggressive. They can't tackle anybody. Nobody can wrap up the ball carrier.

I think you're being overly harsh.

blitz90
08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about football? You watch a team like the Giants, Vikes, or maybe the Eagles and you tell me our D is on the same level as that.

Yeah we started making some plays as the Vikes game has progressed but we still got a long way to go. I'm an optomist when it comes to my boys but i'm also keepin it real. They just aint there quite yet. Period.

TheIronDuke
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
We're only a good DT and a SS and a FS and a couple of good CB's until we're at the level of those defenses you mention. Check back in 3 drafts and we'll have all those holes filled then we can start worrying. Until then just enjoy these exotic blitzes we're seeing and Amobi getting completely blasted out of plays in microseconds. Also take joy in the .3 turnovers our defense forces a game. Go Houston Titans!!

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
I think you're being overly harsh.

I disagree. After four years I recognize what I'm seeing. They're winning more downs than they did before but they still tackle like shit and drives go on, and on, and on.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about football? You watch a team like the Giants, Vikes, or maybe the Eagles and you tell me our D is on the same level as that.

Yeah we started making some plays as the Vikes game has progressed but we still got a long way to go. I'm an optomist when it comes to my boys but i'm also keepin it real. They just aint there quite yet. Period.

You're new here but we don't go in for personal attacks. Yes. I have watched a couple of games in my life.

And no, I'm not saying that we're on the same level as any of those defenses. I'm saying that we don't HAVE to be on the level of that to be very successful.

Was the Rams defense that good when they had the greatest show on turf? If our defense can go from a the bottom third to the middle third of the league, we can have a very good season.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM

Making a good name for yourself newbie.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 10:47 PM
You're new here but we don't go in for personal attacks. Yes. I have watched a couple of games in my life.

And no, I'm not saying that we're on the same level as any of those defenses. I'm saying that we don't HAVE to be on the level of that to be very successful.

Was the Rams defense that good when they had the greatest show on turf? If our defense can go from a the bottom third to the middle third of the league, we can have a very good season.

I tend to agree with you but I don't see players out there doing anything that would inspire me to think that's going to happen now. We'll finish 20th maybe. Maybe 19th. We didn't change much when we promoted Frank Bush from within and all those years of being pretty much incapable of drafting defensive talent are catching up to us.

So we get Dunta back and he's rusty as hell and useless until he gets up to speed and even then it's not like he's Asomugha or something. He's just Dunta Robinson and he doesn't shut anybody down. He just hits them really hard after they catch the pass and move the chains. So we get Cushing finally and he's a rookie so he's going to be making some rookie mistakes for a while. Between the two of them we're not going to be getting any better over the next 4 weeks. Our safety play is pathetic. Our run defense is embarrassing. Our tackling is comical to say the least. We need at least one CB, a FS, SS, AND a pair of DT's minimum. That's just on defense.

Two worrying issues on the other side are the fact that Schaub is made of glass and Slaton looks very Wali Lundy like for some reason. He appeared slow and indecisive to me tonight. Chris Brown should have little trouble taking Slaton's place as the starter if Steve doesn't get it together.

I'm depressed. This game was like a mini version of the first four weeks of last season to me.

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 10:49 PM

The Rams Defense wasn't all that bad...... the Colts Defense would have been a much better comparison. Indy ruled the AFC South for years, with a sub-par D.

If we can break even with Indy, and outscore Tennessee, we're looking pretty good.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 10:54 PM
I tend to agree with you but I don't see players out there doing anything that would inspire me to think that's going to happen now. We'll finish 20th maybe. Maybe 19th. We didn't change much when we promoted Frank Bush from within and all those years of being pretty much incapable of drafting defensive talent are catching up to us.

So we get Dunta back and he's rusty as hell and useless until he gets up to speed and even then it's not like he's Asomugha or something. He's just Dunta Robinson and he doesn't shut anybody down. He just hits them really hard after they catch the pass and move the chains. So we get Cushing finally and he's a rookie so he's going to be making some rookie mistakes for a while. Between the two of them we're not going to be getting any better over the next 4 weeks. Our safety play is pathetic. Our run defense is embarrassing. Our tackling is comical to say the least. We need at least one CB, a FS, SS, AND a pair of DT's minimum. That's just on defense.

Two worrying issues on the other side are the fact that Schaub is made of glass and Slaton looks very Wali Lundy like for some reason. He appeared slow and indecisive to me tonight. Chris Brown should have little trouble taking Slaton's place as the starter if Steve doesn't get it together.

I'm depressed. This game was like a mini version of the first four weeks of last season to me.

20th is out of the bottom third and into the middle third.

After that first big play, our run defense calmed down. We were still over-pursuing sometimes on plays and we were going for big hits instead of wrapping up but overall, I think this defense is head and shoulders better than what we put on the field last year. I think we're going to get a lot more turnovers, a lot more pressures, and more stops on 3rd down.

And our offense was going against a damned good defense. Granted, I haven't seen the burst from Slaton, yet. But I'm not too worried about the offense, yet. Our line was going against a damned fine d-line and for the most part, we held up.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
The Rams Defense wasn't all that bad...... the Colts Defense would have been a much better comparison. Indy ruled the AFC South for years, with a sub-par D.

If we can break even with Indy, and outscore Tennessee, we're looking pretty good.

That first year, the Rams defense was protected by the offense. It finished top 10 in points and yards but the next year, it collapsed utterly.

But you're right, the Colts D was a better comparison.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
20th is out of the bottom third and into the middle third.

After that first big play, our run defense calmed down. We were still over-pursuing sometimes on plays and we were going for big hits instead of wrapping up but overall, I think this defense is head and shoulders better than what we put on the field last year. I think we're going to get a lot more turnovers, a lot more pressures, and more stops on 3rd down.

And our offense was going against a damned good defense. Granted, I haven't seen the burst from Slaton, yet. But I'm not too worried about the offense, yet. Our line was going against a damned fine d-line and for the most part, we held up.

Yup, if you approach it mathematically, you have 32 teams.

1st third=1-10
2nd third=11-21
3rd third=22-32

So, to be a 2nd tier team we need to be at worst 21st of 32. To be a solid team you want to be in the middle of that group, say around 15.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Pencil Neck,

It would be hard bent to think that if we saw the first teamers of the Cowboys or the Titans missing as many tackles so badly, we would not have a 10 page thread of nothing but derogatory ridicule. I don't think that it's a stretch to be quite concerned specifically about that aspect of the game. It seems that players have still not learned well and the coaches still have not taught well............and Demeco is one of the "self taught" prodigies. You can't pick up the "aggressiveness" in lieu of or in exchange for losing the basics. And that's what has apparently occurred.

hot pickle
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
amobi looked like a boy playing football with men out there.. not good

TexansSeminole
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
I thought we brought a lot more pressure today than I have seen in the last 2 years. These guys need to run a lot because of all the missed tackles. Just poor fundamentals. The run D was much better than the Saints game.

We desperately need new safeties and better DT depth.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
I think Mario williams might actually be too good. Hear me out. He gets so much penetration and push off the snap, he ends up behind the qb and has to get back up to him.

Marcus
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm depressed.

Obviously.

But seriously, did you actually expect a lightyear improvment from last year to this one overnight defense-wise. If you did, you're knee-jerkin.

I made the statement in in a couple of threads that I could make a pretty good judgment of whether they are playoff game caliber or not.

If you had asked me right after AD's opening TD run, I'd of said HELL NO! But I thought the defense stepped up after that, made a pretty good showing of themselves. Were they perfect? No. Did they make mistakes? Yes. But I saw them be aggressive, and I saw pressure on the opposing QB.

I'll say this. I don't have nearly, anywhere near, as bad of feeling going into opening day now, as I did before this game.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought we brought a lot more pressure today than I have seen in the last 2 years. These guys need to run a lot because of all the missed tackles. Just poor fundamentals. The run D was much better than the Saints game.

We desperately need new safeties and better DT depth.

Terrifying considering we gave the Vikings 180 yards on the ground

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM

If you don't consider 180 yards a turning point and the signs of a really kickass, cohesive unit on D, I dunno what to tell you?

TexansSeminole
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM

If you consider the differnece in the Saints and the Vikings, it is a step forward. Obviously we aren't dominating anybodys run game but I saw improvement after that first run by AD. The Vikings offensive line is MUCH better than the Saints. AD is 100 times better than Mike Bell.

AD ended up with 11 carries for 117 yards or close to. After the 1st play we held him to 3.something yards per carry. Obviously it happened so you can't just ignore it but it aint like the team went into get trucked mode after that first play. I thought they responded well.

Look I agree that the D has a good ways to go, but I saw a better D than what I saw against the Saints.

It looks to me like we are going to pressure the QB a lot more this year. If we can limit the missed tackles, we should be much better against the run and the run after catch.

We are way more agressive and attacking, as Bush said we'd be. The problem was poor tackling for the most part. I like what Frank Bush has done in little time.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
If you consider the differnece in the Saints and the Vikings, it is a step forward. Obviously we aren't dominating anybodys run game but I saw improvement after that first run by AD. The Vikings offensive line is MUCH better than the Saints. AD is 100 times better than Mike Bell.

AD ended up with 11 carries for 117 yards or close to. After the 1st play we held him to 3.something yards per carry. Obviously it happened so you can't just ignore it but it aint like the team went into get trucked mode after that first play. I thought they responded well.

Look I agree that the D has a good ways to go, but I saw a better D than what I saw against the Saints.

It looks to me like we are going to pressure the QB a lot more this year. If we can limit the missed tackles, we should be much better against the run and the run after catch.

We are way more agressive and attacking, as Bush said we'd be. The problem was poor tackling for the most part. I like what Frank Bush has done in little time.

Yeah, if you take away the homerun play from the homerun back, he had a pretty solid game. Numbers don't work that way.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Obviously.

But seriously, did you actually expect a lightyear improvment from last year to this one overnight defense-wise. If you did, you're knee-jerkin.

I made the statement in in a couple of threads that I could make a pretty good judgment of whether they are playoff game caliber or not.

If you had asked me right after AD's opening TD run, I'd of said HELL NO! But I thought the defense stepped up after that, made a pretty good showing of themselves. Were they perfect? No. Did they make mistakes? Yes. But I saw them be aggressive, and I saw pressure on the opposing QB.

I'll say this. I don't have nearly, anywhere near, as bad of feeling going into opening day now, as I did before this game.

I don't think there's a topic posted where I comment and if my post isn't all "My Little Pony" you don't show up shortly thereafter to tell me how I'm "knee-jerking".

I expected better than I saw. I didn't expect perfection. Was it "more aggressive"? Yes. I said that. Tackling is a fundamental. Why in the hell can't these SOB's tackle? They've only been practicing this particular skill (or lack thereof) for better than a decade in most cases.

I wanted to see the first string come out, settle down, and play better. I guess they did that but I'd like to watch one Texans game in my lifetime that doesn't look like we've fielded a defense right out of a Three Stooges short.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, if you take away the homerun play from the homerun back, he had a pretty solid game. Numbers don't work that way.

Are you having a problem understanding my point? I thought they responded well after that first play. The team could have very well lost composure after that play, but they didn't.

If yall were expecting a top 10 defense this year, you were wrong.

We brought in Cushing for tough nosed run stopping at SLB and versatility at getting to the QB. Given what I saw from the pressure packages today I can see him being pretty effective there. Let's just hope he doesn't miss tackles left and right like some of our other players.

We also, hopefully, have Dunta to insert into the lineup. We had Brice McCain starting out there guys. Don't forget that Reeves is injured as well. I actually thought McCain played well for a rookie 6th rounder.

We have a new defensive coordinator, who has never called plays before, and 3 usual starters out. Are there some concerning trends going on in this preseason? Yes, but I saw a better defense than I did last week.

Postives are rookies like Conner Barwin, who has been playing well this preseason, and a 6th round rookie corner who has played better than DeMarcus Faggins.

Call me a crazy but I see some progress.

Perhaps we have forgotton how terible our defense has been the last 2 or 3 years.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Are you having a problem understanding my point? I thought they responded well after that first play. The team could have very well lost composure after that play, but they didn't.

If yall were expecting a top 10 defense this year, you were wrong.

We brought in Cushing for tough nosed run stopping at SLB and versatility at getting to the QB. Given what I saw from the pressure packages today I can see him pretty effective there. Let's just hope he doesn't miss tackles left and right like some of our other players.

We also, hopefully, have Dunta to insert into the lineup. We had Brice McCain starting out there guys. Don't forget that Reeves is injured as well. I actually thought McCain played well for a rookie 6th rounder.

If your trying to tell me this is a decent defense, we'll have to agree to disagree. How many 60 plus yard tds will it take? Some of our players are still trying to catch lee evans.

TexansSeminole
09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
If your trying to tell me this is a decent defense, we'll have to agree to disagree. How many 60 plus yard tds will it take? Some of our players are still trying to catch lee evans.

I'm saying they were better than last week and perhaps it isn't time yet to decide that the D is going to suck this year.

We aren't going to be a good defense unless Cushing plays at a pro bowl level, Dunta and Reeves come back in better form than last year, and we actually start taking guys down on the first or second hit.

The Saints game was a disaster all the way through. This game was better.

What does Lee Evans have to do with anything? Nothing at all. We actually covered pretty well considering our top 2 corners didn't play. The problem hasn't been coverage.

Norg
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
after watching the game live i must say our D got Ran on yet agian with ease

and Our O was even worse

Marcus
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't think there's a topic posted where I comment and if my post isn't all "My Little Pony" you don't show up shortly thereafter to tell me how I'm "knee-jerking".

I expected better than I saw. I didn't expect perfection. Was it "more aggressive"? Yes. I said that. Tackling is a fundamental. Why in the hell can't these SOB's tackle? They've only been practicing this particular skill (or lack thereof) for better than a decade in most cases.

I wanted to see the first string come out, settle down, and play better. I guess they did that but I'd like to watch one Texans game in my lifetime that doesn't look like we've fielded a defense right out of a Three Stooges short.

:ok:

bah007
09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think the defense played terrible, but if we don't stop giving up the big play then we are going to get roasted. The screen play at the end of the first half was just atrocious defense.

TexansSeminole
09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I don't think the defense played terrible, but if we don't stop giving up the big play then we are going to get roasted. The screen play at the end of the first half was just atrocious defense.

I thought it was a great call by the Vikings. 3rd and 3, they expected penetration, and they caught us looking for the run. It was bad defense though.

Brisco_County
09-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Our defense performed better this week, and against a better team. They are not where they need to be, but it's progress. I'm satisfied with that for now.

blitz90
09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Only bright spot i saw was Demeco which is a given. We did get some good pressure and push from the front 4/5 as the game went on. Still lots of work to be done to contend for the playoffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk).

buckaroo_banzai
09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
watching the D last night reminded me of the first couple of games in '06 when richard smith's defence gave up something like 35 points per game and well over 300 yards per game.
back then, players were completely lost out there trying to figure out where to be on the field.
this game looked to me like a work in progress (at least it's in preseason and not the first three regular season games like in 2006)
hey, at least i know what a blitz looks like from the Texans now....:mcnugget:

TimeKiller
09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Uh guys.....

that guy's name is Adrian Peterson. Oh and he's really been working hard at RB so give him a little bit of credit. My god all the talk about let's just be a 15th ranked defense combined with the whining about why nobody could tackle THE BEST RUNNING BACK IN THE LEAGUE TODAY behind a DOMINANT OFFENSIVE LINE is making me sick. That's what he do. And he did.

eriadoc
09-01-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm not as close to the edge as you are, but I generally agree with you. My main concern, however, is what happens when this defense achieves the same results as the last couple years?

Well, if the Texans don't have a winning season, Kubiak may be gone. OK, let's concede that Kubiak is gone and get him out of the equation. The DC gets canned as well. You're still left with the same ole players that can't tackle, can't move their guy, and can't cover. What do you do?

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
All I wanted to see last night was some attitude and some aggression. I didn't want to see the same old 10 yard cushions and the linemen looking like they're playing in molasses.

Yeah, there were a few plays where the tackling was really bad but there were several more plays where the wood was laid... and not just by Demeco. We were able to get pressure on the QB. We were able to cover long enough to allow for COVERAGE sacks. We were able to force them to punt a few times.

I consider all of these things improvements over what we've had the past couple of years. In past years, if we had given another team the ball that deep in our territory, you could bet it was going to be a TD but we held them to a field goal.

And if we get improved defense... which I think we've go... then I expect a better record.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I would like to take this time to award Eugene Wilson the "P-Buch tackle of the game" patch to wear proudly on his super hero underoos.

If it weren't for D-Ryans I think the score would've been a little more uneven.

On AP's TD run I saw Cody taken inside, Adibi bit hard inside, Mario was doubled, Fred Bennett was trying to fondle Mario's ass or something and where the hell were the safty's? If I was forced to point blame without knowing what we called, it'd be Adibi. He had a perfect chance to fill that hole unblocked, but failed.

I didn't re-watch the dump screen for a TD a 2nd time and didn't notice who was initially in coverage. D-Ryans was following 10 yards behind Taylor after the catch, but Kubiak stated the Vikes rubbed off the coverage. I'll have to re-watch.

I was giddy as hell seeing Barwin used as a stand up "pick his *****" type rusher. I've been wanting them to use Mario like that forever. That was a nice looking formation too.

In the end, I think the D performed better than last week after being punched in the face. However, it ain't good enough. There have been 2 long running plays given up going against the same damn scheme they see every damn day in practice. Giving up 2 big plays + 0 take aways = Loss

El Tejano
09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Mario williams might actually be too good. Hear me out. He gets so much penetration and push off the snap, he ends up behind the qb and has to get back up to him.

That happens when you don't have good DTs.

WesmanTexanfan
09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I think we are fine, Im going to say it "its preaseason", I garuntee once mario and cushing have a couple sacks and Slaton goes off for 120 against the jets we wont even remember that they played these games.

The secondary IMO is still the only major issue on our entire team, Frank Bush was just starting to practice some of his blitzs and we'll see ALOT more than that(than we did against the vikes) during the season. So again I say to anyone worried about anything, relax for 2 more weeks, and if we suck against the jets, freak out then.

El Tejano
I think this team looked like its going to make an NFL favorite of Brett Favre?

HoustonFrog
Just a quick aside. IMO, it doesn't matter if a guy covers 78 yards or whatever in one play or they drive it down the field in 8 plays and he averages 9-10 yards a carry. It covers the same ground and is a TD. It shows up in the stats book the same way. So it is a failure. The defense played better after that but if you heard AP interviewed aftwerward, he seemed to think they could have just kept running. Preseason is preseason but if the same weaknesses jump out then it is time for concern.

Buffi2
09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
It seems to me that our D is missing the basics among other things - how is that possible after they have been playing since they were 5? Shouldn't they at least know the fundamentals of how to tackle when they get here?

I feel more hopeful than I did after the Saints game - but that isn't saying much. We were better than last week - but that isn't saying much either.

For sure, our D isn't play off caliber and I really expected much more after all of the Bush More Aggressive Hype. Granted, they are more aggressive but just as inept.

I don't think that Rookie and Rusty (Cushing and Dunta) are going to catapult us to a division championship especially since they haven't played in a game yet and I have about as much faith in Cushing's ability to stay healthy as I do in Schaub's.

However, hope springs eternal in the heart of a Texan fan and my hope is that we continue to see an improved D - but it sure as hayull better be fast - we only have a couple of weeks.

Hervoyel
09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I think we are fine, Im going to say it "its preaseason", I garuntee once mario and cushing have a couple sacks and Slaton goes off for 120 against the jets we wont even remember that they played these games.

The secondary IMO is still the only major issue on our entire team, Frank Bush was just starting to practice some of his blitzs and we'll see ALOT more than that(than we did against the vikes) during the season. So again I say to anyone worried about anything, relax for 2 more weeks, and if we suck against the jets, freak out then.

Deal

cuppacoffee
09-01-2009, 10:50 AM
It seems to me that our D is missing the basics among other things - how is that possible after they have been playing since they were 5? Shouldn't they at least know the fundamentals of how to tackle when they get here?

I feel more hopeful than I did after the Saints game - but that isn't saying much. We were better than last week - but that isn't saying much either.

For sure, our D isn't play off caliber and I really expected much more after all of the Bush More Aggressive Hype. Granted, they are more aggressive but just as inept.

I don't think that Rookie and Rusty (Cushing and Dunta) are going to catapult us to a division championship especially since they haven't played in a game yet and I have about as much faith in Cushing's ability to stay healthy as I do in Schaub's.

However, hope springs eternal in the heart of a Texan fan and my hope is that we continue to see an improved D - but it sure as hayull better be fast - we only have a couple of weeks.

I agree with all points, especially about Cushing.

:coffee:

Texan JBZ
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I saw a lot of things I liked about the defense last night. A lot! As far as the missed tackles..folks, I've watched the Titans and Giants defenses play this preseason and they were horrid at tackling. Do I think they will play the same way once the season starts? Hell naw! It's preseason. But I loved some of the schemes and blitz packages that Bush was dialing up. It was Jim Johnson-esque. He was bringing blitzes from every corner and every angle. That's what good defenses do. They blitz and take chances. Sometimes you get burned (see Chester Taylor), but its a chance that defense coordinators have to take to stop good offenses. Plus, the Texans were playing against the best RB in football, the best backup in football, and the best LG and one of the best LT in football and held up pretty well all things considered. They flew around, played fast, and hit hard. Once Cushing and Robinson return to the fray and they have 3-4 weeks to gel as a unit, they have a chance to be a really good unit. Oh yeah, the real DeMeco Ryans is back!!!

WesmanTexanfan
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I saw a lot of things I liked about the defense last night. A lot! As far as the missed tackles..folks, I've watched the Titans and Giants defenses play this preseason and they were horrid at tackling. Do I think they will play the same way once the season starts? Hell naw! It's preseason. But I loved some of the schemes and blitz packages that Bush was dialing up. It was Jim Johnson-esque. He was bringing blitzes from every corner and every angle. That's what good defenses do. They blitz and take chances. Sometimes you get burned (see Chester Taylor), but its a chance that defense coordinators have to take to stop good offenses. Plus, the Texans were playing against the best RB in football, the best backup in football, and the best LG and one of the best LT in football and held up pretty well all things considered. They flew around, played fast, and hit hard. Once Cushing and Robinson return to the fray and they have 3-4 weeks to gel as a unit, they have a chance to be a really good unit. Oh yeah, the real DeMeco Ryans is back!!!

I agree with most points, and would like to also point out that besides a 75 yarder(which is a problem) one of the most dynamic offenses had to run check downs and screens all night...

Texan JBZ
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll tell y'all another thing I liked about the defense. Last season, the defense was terrible with dealing with a sudden change. Last night, after Schaub threw that interception I just knew that the Vikings would score a TD because that's what has been happening the last two seasons. But hey held firm after being put in a bad situation. Even after a bad call on 3rd down gave the Vikings a new set of downs deep in Texans territory, they were still able to hold them out of the endzone. Like I said, I saw a lot of things I liked from the defense last night.

TexansSeminole
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM

I see it almost exactly as JBZ does. What I liked the most was the design and use of the blitz. I am pretty excited to see that continue in the regular season. Let's hope the missed tackles are due to the limited amount of full on tackling practice the guys have had since the Bears game last season.

thunderkyss
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Demeco Ryans is a star..... he's special, and he looks like he'll play like he did his rookie season. If Cush can give us half of that, I think we're going to be better than fine.

ReliantTexan
09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I think he's watching the defense that's giving the Vikings 300 yards and 17 points so far. I think the technical term for this defense is "shit". We are in for a long, long season with this pack of stiffs serving as our defense. They can't tackle to save their lives just like Richard Smith's version of this mess.

I'm so pissed off right now for believing in these guys. They are so soft and just incompetent tacklers.

Amobi is lost. I'm so disgusted with that kid. I've been watching him all night and he's essentially useless. He just gets steered out of plays with what appears to be almost no effort. Hell, half the time he takes himself out of the play. When they send him packing ala TJ next year or the year after I'm going to be so sick. Until then I'm going to watch him suck and "be so sick". Classic damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't project that we foolishly gambled on.So what,the Giants defense is allowing 320 yards per game this preseason. I'm not worried about statistics. I care about what I see on the field, the defense has a completely different look from last year, like most posters have said it's not there yet but this game was a step in the right direction IMO.

bckey
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Demeco Ryans is a star..... he's special, and he looks like he'll play like he did his rookie season. If Cush can give us half of that, I think we're going to be better than fine.

I agree. Demeco was everywhere last night. Can you imagine if he would have been sidelined for some reason last night? It would have been ugly. If Cushing stays healthy and give at least half of what Demeco brings like you said then we are in business. I hope Cushing gets motivated watching the film breakdown of last nights game. He seems like the type of player that wants to be the best at his position.

TimeKiller
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I doubt Cushing needs any motivation.

We have a half Demeco already, his name is Diles. What we need is something that Demeco isn't (which is a sideline to sideline tackling machine) which Cushing has a pretty good chance to bring in. A big, mean badass causing commontion around the line. Once any play breaks past the line we all know DR will be right there to stop it but if Cushing could get into the O's grill and make some stops before the ball gets to Ryans he'll be fully worth the pick to me. I actually hope they let Cushing go this week if he's ready. Not long, maybe a series...long enough for bandwagons and knee jerk reactions.

HOU-TEX
09-02-2009, 11:00 AM

We have a half Demeco already, his name is Diles. What we need is something that Demeco isn't (which is a sideline to sideline tackling machine) which Cushing has a pretty good chance to bring in. A big, mean badass causing commontion around the line. Once any play breaks past the line we all know DR will be right there to stop it but if Cushing could get into the O's grill and make some stops before the ball gets to Ryans he'll be fully worth the pick to me. I actually hope they let Cushing go this week if he's ready. Not long, maybe a series...long enough for bandwagons and knee jerk reactions.

FWIW, D-Ryans was known for being a sideline to sideline type LB coming out of College. Frankly, I think he's definitely lived up to that bill. I'm not sure where you are getting that. Unless you're talking about his pass coverage. If that's the case, I'd probably agree with you.

badboy
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I am just glad that the coaches will not be bored this week.

BigBull17
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM

That happened 4 years ago. And the guys who blew that are in different uni's.

infantrycak
09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
FWIW, D-Ryans was known for being a sideline to sideline type LB coming out of College. Frankly, I think he's definitely lived up to that bill. I'm not sure where you are getting that. Unless you're talking about his pass coverage. If that's the case, I'd probably agree with you.

I'm with you. I don't see how a player who is constantly making plays at either sideline (often in front of the LB that started on that side of the field) is not a sideline to sideline player.

DexmanC
09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Just reviewing the game..

In the late 3rd quarter, when Connor Barwin leaps to knock down a
Brett Favre pass, I realized they lined up on 3rd and 11 in a
3-4 Formation!!

It looked like this:

..........................................Smith Okoye Williams
.......................Barber..............Ryans.. .....Diles.............. Barwin

Imagine the blitz possibilities with that alignment. It's only preseason,
and Frank Bush is ALREADY showing what Smith didn't have: An
imagination!!

Specnatz
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Just reviewing the game..

In the late 3rd quarter, when Connor Barwin leaps to knock down a
Brett Favre pass, I realized they lined up on 3rd and 11 in a
3-4 Formation!!

It looked like this:

..........................................Smith Okoye Williams
.......................Barber..............Ryans.. .....Diles.............. Barwin

Imagine the blitz possibilities with that alignment. It's only preseason,
and Frank Bush is ALREADY showing what Smith didn't have: An
imagination!!

Barwin is a DE so it was still a 4-3 by the way.

DexmanC
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Are you nutZ!??? Did you see how fast the Texans turned in the draft
card for Demeco? The guy was an All-American, borderline COLLEGE
Hall of Fame linebacker. He dropped to the second round, because
many scouts thought he was TOO SMALL to play at the level he did
at Alabama. Johnnie Holland knew better, lucky for us. I think the
defense has ALREADY turned a corner. They don't need to be the
Ravens, Eagles, or Steelers. They just need to be 5 to 8 places
better than they were last year. The offense will handle the rest.

Hooston Texan
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm with you. I don't see how a player who is constantly making plays at either sideline (often in front of the LB that started on that side of the field) is not a sideline to sideline player.

I think you're misreading TimeKiller's post. I believe when he wrote "What we need is something that Demeco isn't (which is a sideline to sideline tackling machine) which Cushing has a pretty good chance to bring in." he was trying to say that Meco is a sideline-to-sideline player, but he is not a thumper like Cushing who can cause pileups by blowing up linemen. Ryans just isn't that kind of player, but he is about the best sideline-to-sideline MLB in the business.

At least I hope that's what he meant. Ryans was born to be a sideline-to-sideline player.

dalemurphy
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM

If he's lining up off the ball and we have a NT, and we have two other defensive linemen lined up on, or shading the tackle, then he's playing LB.

TimeKiller
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
hrrmmmm.....lemme do that one again...

Demeco Ryans = sideline to sideline tackling machine, cornerstone of the defense

but I don't think he can make too many plays upfield, usually he's stopping a guy after 2 or 3 yards (my perception anyway)

Cushing = I hope he brings the size and strength to get up into the line and blow up plays before DR can get to it.

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM

For me, it doesn't matter what it says in the roster, if the guy is standing up and moving around behind the guy in the DE spot and the rest of the people are in a normal 3-4 alignment, it's a 3-4. The blocking assignments have to change to accommodate that.

But I hadn't noticed that it was Barber in at the other OLB spot. That means that was from our nickel package.

That's cool.

infantrycak
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
but I don't think he can make too many plays upfield, usually he's stopping a guy after 2 or 3 yards (my perception anyway)

Kinda hard for the Mike to make too many upfield plays if his DT's are getting blown back into him.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
In light of the Texans tackling like they were going after greasy pigs, not Vikings, I came across this piece that analyzed Favre's performance, in detaile, against the Texans. It appears that it was not likely that Favre's performance that did us in, but our own inapt tackling..........during the run AND after the catch.

LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10013000/7-Points:-Favre-is-far-from-shaking-the-rust)

Texanmike02
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Can I underline the need for a dominant DT again? I don't know how else to put it. WE NEED A DT. AO will benefit from a big guy standing next to him and the LBs (DR specifically) won't have linemen in their lap 10 seconds into the play. We better watch the waiverwire veeery very close.

Mike

badboy
09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Kinda hard for the Mike to make too many upfield plays if his DT's are getting blown back into him.eggssactlyy!!

badboy
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Can I underline the need for a dominant DT again? I don't know how else to put it. WE NEED A DT. AO will benefit from a big guy standing next to him and the LBs (DR specifically) won't have linemen in their lap 10 seconds into the play. We better watch the waiverwire veeery very close.

MikeI thought I heard earlier this week on radio that Giants have an excess and may let someone go that could be of benefit to Texans. IMO if Okam and Okoye don't step up big..:goodnight

76Texan
09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
For me, it doesn't matter what it says in the roster, if the guy is standing up and moving around behind the guy in the DE spot and the rest of the people are in a normal 3-4 alignment, it's a 3-4. The blocking assignments have to change to accommodate that.

But I hadn't noticed that it was Barber in at the other OLB spot. That means that was from our nickel package.

That's cool.

We use this a few times last year.
It's actually a 3-3 in our nickel package with 5 DBs.
Nading plays as the stand up OLB. He actually was free to move around from side to side across the box trying to confuse the QB!

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
We use this a few times last year.
It's actually a 3-3 in our nickel package with 5 DBs.
Nading plays as the stand up OLB. He actually was free to move around from side to side across the box trying to confuse the QB!

Yeah, I remember seeing a pure 3-3 and even faking a regular nickle and then dropping a DL into coverage without blitzing someone to make up for it (which gives a similar effect... kinda.) IIRC, we even did some 2-4 kinds of setups with Mario and another DE standing. But those things were pretty rare.

Hopefully we'll make more use of this... or at least GOOD and effective use of it.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing a pure 3-3 and even faking a regular nickle and then dropping a DL into coverage without blitzing someone to make up for it (which gives a similar effect... kinda.) IIRC, we even did some 2-4 kinds of setups with Mario and another DE standing. But those things were pretty rare.

Hopefully we'll make more use of this... or at least GOOD and effective use of it.

We have a lot of possibilities with all the speed and athleticism on the roster.
I can't wait to see the good plays show themselves up on the field!