PDA

View Full Version : Start Orlovsky

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 08:53 PM
:jk:

DexmanC
08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Be careful. Orlovsky is WAAAAYYY more talented than Sage.
I think a thread like this could catch real fire!

Spike
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
It would be sweet if Minn cut Sage and we picked him up off the wire.

Pantherstang84
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM

I was hoping to see a repeat of the Rosencopter tonight. I'm glad to see him in another color jersey myself. I still want to puke just thinking of that game.

brakos82
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
*ponders starting a Start Brink thread*

DocBar
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Start Yo Mama. LOL

V3rm0nt3r
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM

i'm thinking that they'll put one of them up for a trade. maybe get sage back for that 5th we got from SD. Rick Smith would be GOD.

keyser
09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
:jk:

On a serious note, I wouldn't be upset if they did start Orlovsky for the last preseason game. I don't think it will help Schaub that much, and I'd rather him not risk injury. Plus, I think Orlovsky is improving with practice. Same goes for many of our critical starters (not any of the linemen on O ro D, except maybe Mario, though - they need more practice...)

brakos82
09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Start Carr! :tomato:

Mr. White
09-01-2009, 06:58 AM
It's just a matter of time until he's the starter anyway.

Texan_Bill
09-01-2009, 07:30 AM
*ponders starting a Start Brink thread*

Start Carr! :tomato:

:bat:

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
On a serious note, I wouldn't be upset if they did start Orlovsky for the last preseason game. I don't think it will help Schaub that much, and I'd rather him not risk injury. Plus, I think Orlovsky is improving with practice. Same goes for many of our critical starters (not any of the linemen on O ro D, except maybe Mario, though - they need more practice...)

The 4th preseason game is for the 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Orlovsky should start. I doubt Mario, Demeco, or Andre see any time.

Porky
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I have to admit, I think Dan O has gotten better week by week. If he keeps improving, I'll feel comfortable with him as a backup. Week one I would give him a D+. Just didn't look good. Last week a solid C, and this week deserved a B to me. Still missed some throws, but had better decision making and made some really nice throws and has a heck of an arm. I would like to see him start and play extensively Fri.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I have to admit, I think Dan O has gotten better week by week. If he keeps improving, I'll feel comfortable with him as a backup. Week one I would give him a D+. Just didn't look good. Last week a solid C, and this week deserved a B to me. Still missed some throws, but had better decision making and made some really nice throws and has a heck of an arm. I would like to see him start and play extensively Fri.

I agree. I think he's got the physical tools to be better than Schaub. It's what goes on between the ears than has to be re-trained. The dude has a bigger cannon than I thought he did, but unless he can get it dialed in it's useless. Two overthrows to AJ, one would've been a definite TD.

cuppacoffee
09-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree. I think he's got the physical tools to be better than Schaub. It's what goes on between the ears than has to be re-trained. The dude has a bigger cannon than I thought he did, but unless he can get it dialed in it's useless. Two overthrows to AJ, one would've been a definite TD.

On one of the throws it looked like AJ slowed down.

I guess he was thinking Schaub was still playing.

:coffee:

drewmar74
09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
On one of the throws it looked like AJ slowed down.

I guess he was thinking Schaub was still playing.

That was my thought.

Schaub doesn't seem to have the arm strength that Dan does and, as such, AJ might have pulled up for the ball out of habit.

Porky
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Dan needed to put more air under that ball and let AJ adjust to it. He had his man beat and with that big body and those hands just fling it up there and let AJ haul it in. Instead he threw a frozen rope to AJ and it would have had to be perfectly placed. This is why he needs to play, so he can learn these things. He's got the physical tools, but still needs work on stuff like this and his decision making still leaves something to be desired, but is improving.

cuppacoffee
09-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Dan needed to put more air under that ball and let AJ adjust to it. He had his man beat and with that big body and those hands just fling it up there and let AJ haul it in. Instead he threw a frozen rope to AJ and it would have had to be perfectly placed. This is why he needs to play, so he can learn these things. He's got the physical tools, but still needs work on stuff like this and his decision making still leaves something to be desired, but is improving.

I really think that we lucked into something when we signed Orlovsky.

As you say, he has the physical tools. Maybe Kubiak can work some magic on the other stuff.

Norg
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
if matty ice goes down we might have no choice LOL

76Texan
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I really think that we lucked into something when we signed Orlovsky.

As you say, he has the physical tools. Maybe Kubiak can work some magic on the other stuff.

:coffee:I believe it's called due dilligence!

Same with Shaun Cody's case.

The one off-season move I still don't like is Antonio Smith.
Only because the money... he will have to prove to me that he's worth the money... money that we can spend to make other players on the roster happy, and therefore having a good team.

cuppacoffee
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I believe it's called due dilligence!

Same with Shaun Cody's case.

The one off-season move I still don't like is Antonio Smith.
Only because the money... he will have to prove to me that he's worth the money... money that we can spend to make other players on the roster happy, and therefore having a good team.

ok. Then we were lucky no other teams were exercising due diligence.

Thorn
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
I think DanO is going to be a fine QB given some more time under Kubiac and company. You are probably looking at our future starting QB a few years from now. I'll bet Kubiac and Smith didn't just give him that 9 million for nothing.

SheTexan
09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I think DanO is going to be a fine QB given some more time under Kubiac and company. You are probably looking at our future starting QB a few years from now. I'll bet Kubiac and Smith didn't just give him that 9 million for nothing.

Then they should have kept Sage and worked with him a little harder. Why start over with the same calibur QB? Nothing I have seen so far has proved to me DO is any better than Sage.

Thorn
09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Then they should have kept Sage and worked with him a little harder. Why start over with the same calibur QB? Nothing I have seen so far has proved to me DO is any better than Sage.

I think he has a better arm than Sage, but needs more training to use it properly. When we first traded for Schaub, I was saying back then we shouldn't have traded those picks and just used Sage until we could draft a better QB. Whatever. Spilt milk and all that stuff.

Double Barrel
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
It's just a matter of time until he's the starter anyway.

Sad, but true.

I trust Kubiak's judgment, though, and if he thinks Orlovsky has got the goods, then I'll have faith in that assessment. Our season might depend on it.

SheTexan
09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
DB, glad you trust Kubiak, I don't. He does some crazy things, and bringing on DO for 9mill bucks was one of them. I hope I have to eat my words, but, I just don't think he will ever earn his money. I'm still pissed about that interception! The boy is immature and seems to learn SLOWLY! Dumb mistakes will take him out of the pic.

Double Barrel
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I feel your distrust, ST....and part of me pulls that way...I'm just tryin' to be optimistic in the pre-season, and it's tougher than it would seem. :shades:

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
DB, glad you trust Kubiak, I don't. He does some crazy things, and bringing on DO for 9mill bucks was one of them. I hope I have to eat my words, but, I just don't think he will ever earn his money. I'm still pissed about that interception! The boy is immature and seems to learn SLOWLY! Dumb mistakes will take him out of the pic.

On the bright side there's a smaller gap between DanO and Schaub than Manning and Sorgi .

Big Lou
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Maybe the Texans only keep 2 QB's because Kubiak thinks he can pull a Farve and come out retirement if need be. Perhaps a start Kubiak thread is in order.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Orlovsky starting is a nightmare. Just because he looks like a QB, it does not mean he can play one on the field - like David Carr.

I do not want potential entering into the dialogue about QB2, especially when the model is to keep two QBs, but that is the story line for Orlovsky. If Schaub goes down I would feel more comfortable with going to the Wildcat, and I hate the Wildcat.

Specnatz
09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Orlovsky starting is a nightmare. Just because he looks like a QB, it does not mean he can play one on the field - like David Carr.

I do not want potential entering into the dialogue about QB2, especially when the model is to keep two QBs, but that is the story line for Orlovsky. If Schaub goes down I would feel more comfortable with going to the Wildcat, and I hate the Wildcat.

Well Grossman was to be the third but he pulled his hamstring while trying to remove his head from where he placed it.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Well Grossman was to be the third but he pulled his hamstring while trying to remove his head from where he placed it.

Grossman ain't a wildcat, he's a hamstrung manbearpig.

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Grossman ain't a wildcat, he's a hamstrung manbearpig.

I was leaning capybara myself .

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I was leaning capybara myself .

ROUS's? I don't believe they exist.

http://sortingoutscience.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/rous.jpg

Supposedly, this is a pic of Connor Barwin taking on Grossman at the Texans' offseason team-building exercise.

keyser
09-01-2009, 08:07 PM

I know that the Texans have felt OK with just 2 QBs in the past, and I'm wondering if they'd feel comfortable with that again. I believe their #3 emergency QB has been Owen Daniels. I'm wondering if Casey might be one to take over that emergency role, if they go with just 2, now.

MojoMan
09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Be careful what you ask for. You might just get it.

76Texan
09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
ok. Then we were lucky no other teams were exercising due diligence.

Something is telling me that Jon Gruden would have made a play for that "kid". He's known for collecting QBs and he seems to like DanO just fine.

On the other hand, you have the Vikings who stayed with T. Jackson last year... then pick up the copter this year... then bank on Favre's return.

Or you have the Broncos chasing Cutler away.

Many teams already have their established QBs (or big-contract QBs)
Many teams who don't, well you see... they didn't excercise due dilligence in the first place!

Buffi2
09-01-2009, 08:46 PM
DanO may be fine...eventually - in fact, for all I know, with good coaching he could be great. But he ain't right now and now is what matters. Of all the things to worry about with this team - the QB situation is most worrisome.

'Tubs' Grossman is to play in Tampa Bay - maybe we will have QB by committee if Schaub goes down.

Specnatz
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Something is telling me that Jon Gruden would have made a play for that "kid". He's known for collecting QBs and he seems to like DanO just fine.

On the other hand, you have the Vikings who stayed with T. Jackson last year... then pick up the copter this year... then bank on Favre's return.

Or you have the Broncos chasing Cutler away.

Many teams already have their established QBs (or big-contract QBs)
Many teams who don't, well you see... they didn't excercise due dilligence in the first place!

And you have teams like the Bucs and the Chiefs who have 4 QBs. Then you have a team like the Pats who do not really have a backup QB.

76Texan
09-01-2009, 09:00 PM

That INT was bad, but not terrible.
A good idea to go with your bread and butter AJ on a quick slant route.
If anything, he just threw it a little too far ahead if at all.
The DB made a good read. And AJ couldn't help (really, this one is partially AJ's fault, he didn't anticipate the DB's move just the same).

The throw was low where supposedly either AJ would catch it or it would be an incomplete pass.
It just bounced up for grab all it was.

eric138
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Grossman is starting the final preseason game.

HOU-TEX
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Grossman is starting the final preseason game.

No, he's not

Texan_Bill
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Sage 31; DanO 26

Sage owns the Rosencopter, not to mention the fumble on the very next series after Rosencopter. :voodoo: Very rarely can you blame one person for a loss. If there was an exception, that Colts game would've been it.

Last time I checked, the GM handles contracts. Kubiak may suggest that he wants to look at a player, but ultimately it's up to Rick Smith to pull the trigger.

Were you as pissed at Matt's interception? DanO's was deflected. Matt's was not seeing the linebacker drift back into coverage.

:texflag:

badboy
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
:jk:Are you out of your.. oh you were kidding. Ha Ha. I had to stop my rant in mid sentence. Do you know how hard that is? O may eventually be a starter but he has a ways to go now just to be a dependable back up.

TimeKiller
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Were you as pissed at Matt's interception? DanO's was deflected. Matt's was not seeing the linebacker drift back into coverage.

:texflag:

Yessir that did. OD had a guy wrapping him up as the ball was thrown on top of the guy who picked it. Not seeing double coverage 7 yards in front of you....well....that's just not good.

Specnatz
09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Why is no one mentioning the DB draped all over AJ on Dan O int. While I agree the pass was not picture perfect and may as well be ill-advised but if the DB is not trying on AJ's uniform he would have had the pass.

eric138
09-02-2009, 11:38 AM
No, he's not

oops

September 1, 2009 - Rex Grossman will play in the Texans' preseason finale Friday.

its ok, we all make mistakes.

Texan_Bill
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
oops

September 1, 2009 - Rex Grossman will play in the Texans' preseason finale Friday.

its ok, we all make mistakes.

That doesn't say he is starting though. It says he (Grossman) "will play". Your initial post said he was starting and HOU-TEX said he wasn't (starting).

eric138
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
That doesn't say he is starting though. It says he (Grossman) "will play". Your initial post said he was starting and HOU-TEX said he wasn't (starting).

I know I f'ed up.

That's why I said oops we all make mistakes.. :thisbig:

but he will get to play a little, not like that is going to matter... but he WILL be better than Brink.