PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson TRADED to Chargers...

Mean Machine
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Per the General at Chron.com.
No news on who or what we get in return.

Good move. One of the last of Dom's and Charley's crew.....

08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
just got this off of adam schefter on twitter. woah.

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
For what?!

chicagotexan2
Good. He was another Casserly bust.

Malloy
Fudge... No likie...

Oh well, let's see what we got instead, if we were to trade him, now was a nice time to do it. :)

it hasn't been announced yet. i'm very curious myself.

Thorn
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
thread merge coming soon. LOL

Well, looks like Amobi better get his butt in gear now.

Texecutioner
For what?!

Does it really matter??? I doubt that it was for much. At least he's not taking up a roster spot out here anymore.

Honoring Earl 34
For Louis Castillo and Jamal Williams .

Malloy
08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
For Louis Castillo and Jamal Williams .

hehe, ok, I would sign off on that one :)

False Start
08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Sad to see him go....... :sarcasm: :heh:

Hopefully we will get something decent in return.

Malloy
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Grabbed from the Chargers forum:
'ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Chargers have acquired NT Travis Johnson from the Texans in exchange for undisclosed considerations.'

So... undisclosed considerations...

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Does it really matter??? I doubt that it was for much. At least he's not taking up a roster spot out here anymore.

Well he was our best run stuffing DT, so I want to know if we got anything of value for him.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Just like I thought, it was for a ham sandwich.

On the positive side "Ding, Dong, The Slug is Gone!"

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
We probably got some scrubs, like jammer, and Cromartie

drewmar74
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Grabbed from the Chargers forum:
'ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Chargers have acquired NT Travis Johnson from the Texans in exchange for undisclosed considerations.'

So... undisclosed considerations...

Is that like a "happy ending" at a massage parlor?

Texecutioner
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Well he was our best run stuffing DT, so I want to know if we got anything of value for him.

Oh, I know, I was just pointing out that it was most likely for a ham sandwich like Herv pointed out. No team in their right mind was going to give up anything nice for Travis Johnson.

08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
arghhhhh i wanna know what we got in return. i'm too impatient!!!

Silver Oak
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
wow...MNF buzz and excitement really building now!

Norg
08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
this is a bad move IMO Weather he was hurt or not

swtbound07
mark my words, this is a trade we will regret.

Adam_Schefter - More info on deal: Texans traded DT Travis Johnson to Chargers for a 6th round pick that turns into a 5th with minimum playtime.

PEANUTS. DAMMIT.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Chronic saying 5th or 6th depending on what he does in San Diego.

I'd have preferred the ham sandwich.

Texecutioner
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Chronic saying 5th or 6th depending on what he does in San Diego.

I'd have preferred the ham sandwich.

I don't think that's really a bad deal. At least we got something for an under achieving player.

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
We turned a 1st round pick into a 5th! Its a higher number, we fleeced 'em!

Thorn
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
if he does a good job there, it's going to make us look bad.

Not to mention how much it will piss all of us off if he does.

Silver Oak

consider your words marked...as well as your words saying passing on Reggie Bush was something we would regret. :texflag:

Spike
Don't know what to think about this move. I would feel better if we would have at least adequate DT play last game.

The Texans clearly had no intention of pursuing him again next year. By making this move now, we save his salary and we get something in return.

Too early to tell. If he can't get up to playing condition or gets injured again, we got something for nothing.

drewmar74
We turned a 1st round pick into a 5th! Its a higher number, we fleeced 'em!

:spit:

Seriously? Really?

Wow. Just. Wow.

Did they at least throw in the "big finish?"

hot pickle
08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
borrrinnggggg

hadaad
08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
This makes me think they were going to release him, either because of injuries or whatever, and were just seeing if they could get anything for him instead.

Too bad. Hate to see high draft picks gone.

I hope SWTBound's marked words work out the way his David Carr marked words worked out, but I think he might be right.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think that's really a bad deal. At least we got something for an under achieving player.

I hear you. C&C might have taken him in the first round but if Travis Johnson was a first round talent then Van Pelt was the second coming of Joe Montana. Trading TJ for anything is like finally getting that last patch of mildew out of the hardest corner in your shower to reach.

Dude will be out of football in two more years.

Mr. White
3 words

Fair market value.

rmartin65
:spit:

Seriously? Really?

Wow. Just. Wow.

Did they at least throw in the "big finish?"

Joke bro...

Anyway, Chargers fans seem pretty happy about this.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=70227

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 02:43 PM
If anyone thought we would get higher than a fifth or a sixth for TJ, you're smoking crack.

drewmar74
08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Joke bro...

No, your part was hilarious. I was laughing out loud at that one and getting odd looks in the office.

The "Wow. Just. Wow." was the sad reality of that whole situation sinking in.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
consider your words marked...as well as your words saying passing on Reggie Bush was something we would regret. :texflag:

Hey Oak......Your lying. Find one post in HISTORY where I said anything positive about reggie bush. Please. I hate that man like fat people hate atkins.

for a refresher, go here
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744757#post744757

Malloy
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Is that like a "happy ending" at a massage parlor?

lol, I'm glad to see Im not the only one with a dirty mind today :)

Hardcore Texan
08-31-2009, 02:46 PM
If anyone thought we would get higher than a fifth or a sixth for TJ, you're smoking crack.

Just pass the pipe brah.

Malloy
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
wow...MNF buzz and excitement really building now!

Not only that, but TJ completely missed out on the third week of TC! :)

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Original headline on the Chron before correcting - "Texans trade Travis Johnson to Texans."

LOL

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Chargers are reporting that we initially wanted a 2nd rounder and got knocked down to a 5th/6th. Damn.

GuerillaBlack
Word is, LT was apart of the trade.

Hervoyel

That's very true but you have to admit that when you hear that someone like TJ was traded there's always that little bit of hope that somebody somewhere overpaid for him. It can happen and it happens just enough to keep that little sliver of hope alive. The only thing that makes trading a guy like TJ away feel better is learning that your GM managed to get some ***** like Casserly (think PBuc) to give you too much for him.

TEXANS84
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Casserly!
3 years removed and still screwing us!

Hardcore Texan
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks Casserly!
3 years removed and still screwing us!

minus vasoline I might add

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Original headline on the Chron before correcting - "Texans trade Travis Johnson to Texans."

LOL

Rick Smith has a time machine. No kidding.

He originally tried to travel back in time and trade TJ (2009) to an excited Charlie Casserly who had just drafted TJ (2005). Cass was thinking "I'm gonna have TWO of these guys and we're doing to be a friggin wall!" but then the deal fell through so he had to go with the Chargers offer.

Thorn
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh well, no more TJ to kick around any more. I wonder what the ESPN announcers will say about it tonight?

Silver Oak
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Oak......Your lying. Find one post in HISTORY where I said anything positive about reggie bush. Please. I hate that man like fat people hate atkins.

for a refresher, go here
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744757#post744757

I apologize then sir. I thought you were one of the Reggie lovers.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 02:54 PM

its all good. I'll take a lot of criticism for a lot of things, but never never that. You might as well slap my momma!

brakos82
Oh well, no more TJ to kick around any more. I wonder what the ESPN announcers will say about it tonight?
They'll say that we're gonna trade Mario to the Broncos for seven first-round picks.

Silver Oak

LOL

Chronic folks were so excited to be breaking some news, they couldn't think straight.

DiehardChris
Chargers are reporting that we initially wanted a 2nd rounder and got knocked down to a 5th/6th. Damn.

LOL

I guess we initially contacted the Raiders, then.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM

I think that was on me back then. I thought Reggie Bush was going to change the very nature of reality when he came to the NFL. I was a dumbass saying dumbass stuff.

I'm sorry.

Malloy
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM

LOL

Dont be so hard on them, so many teams to mix up, at least they got the player right :)

brakos82
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Dont be so hard on them, so many teams to mix up, at least they got the player right :)
I bet there would've been pandemonium and death threats if they said it was the other Johnson...

Bulluck53
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Was this a move solely to get rid of Johnson? I thought talent-wise he'd be worth more than a conditional sixth.

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
It just hit me... We traded a starter (most likely) for at best a 5th round pick.

Porky
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Al Davis must have been napping.

I'm kind of mixed on it. TJ was a lazy ass bum who never approached his draft slot but was also our best run stopping nose. So, it's kind of hard to be happy about it, but it's kind of hard to not. It's like an enigma.

hadaad
08-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Assuming that they say anything that doesn't involve Andre Johnson, Brett Favre, Adrian Peterson and the Jared Allen/Matt Schaub history, they'll probably get his name, the terms of the deal, or the other team wrong.

But my money is on them not saying anything at all.

Hardcore Texan

Like when the tin man got his courage.....:whip:

m5kwatts

Schefter will be on so there's a chance it could be something rational/intelligent. Of course ESPN has to balance it out with the peanut gallery (Keyshawn, Ditka, Carter)

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Was this a move solely to get rid of Johnson? I thought talent-wise he'd be worth more than a conditional sixth.

They were going to release him. Those of us who have been paying attention have known that most of the off-season. He's been okay against the run, but constantly underachieving, and constantly hurt - especially in training camp, which always gets him off to a slow start.

I mean, talent-wise, David Carr was also at some point worth more than a 5 or 6, but talent means little in the NFL when you've been in the NFL for four years. Results are what matters.

Vinnie
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't know what's more amazing, that they were able to trade him at all or that the team they did trade him to wasn't Denver. :thinking:

DiehardChris
It just hit me... We traded a starter (most likely) for at best a 5th round pick.

No way he was a starter anymore. Kubiak even said that DelJuan Robinson was the starter and he would be tough to replace. In Kubiak-speak, that's pretty telling because usually he won't ever name a new starter in place of an old starter until it's already happened.

HOU-TEX
Considering the subpar performance at the DT position the first game and a half of preseason, I'm not sure I like this deal, yet.

I was wanting to see TJ in this new "aggressive" scheme in his contract year to see what he could do. He definitely couldn't do worse than what we witnessed last week.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
They were going to release him. Those of us who have been paying attention have known that most of the off-season. He's been okay against the run, but constantly underachieving, and constantly hurt - especially in training camp, which always gets him off to a slow start.

I mean, talent-wise, David Carr was also at some point worth more than a 5 or 6, but talent means little in the NFL when you've been in the NFL for four years. Results are what matters.

his underachieving was better than okoye, okam, and zgonina

Malloy
08-31-2009, 03:06 PM
TJ will have to clear the medical right, or is it a done deal as long as he's not on the IR/PUP?

Silver Oak
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
TJ will have to clear the medical right, or is it a done deal as long as he's not on the IR/PUP?

I was thinking the same thing. Surely SD hasn't seen the results of his hernia surgery.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Considering the subpar performance at the DT position the first game and a half of preseason, I'm not sure I like this deal, yet.

I was wanting to see TJ in this new "aggressive" scheme in his contract year to see what he could do. He definitely couldn't do worse than what we witnessed last week.

This.

We never know what that fifth round pick could turn out to be, but I still wouldn't mind seeing what TJ would have done in his contract year. You know he would have played a lot better. Watch him turn into Warren Sapp this year. Wouldn't surprise me, with the Texans luck.

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
No way he was a starter anymore. Kubiak even said that DelJuan Robinson was the starter and he would be tough to replace. In Kubiak-speak, that's pretty telling because usually he won't ever name a new starter in place of an old starter until it's already happened.

Eh. He started last year, and was one of, if not, the best run stuffer on the team. We wont get that out of a 5th/6th round pick.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Eh. He started last year, and was one of, if not, the best run stuffer on the team. We wont get that out of a 5th/6th round pick.

Or any DT currently on the Texans roster.

Signed,

Mike Bell

Silver Oak
08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
This.

We never know what that fifth round pick could turn out to be, but I still wouldn't mind seeing what TJ would have done in his contract year. You know he would have played a lot better. Watch him turn into Warren Sapp this year. Wouldn't surprise me, with the Texans luck.

Smith, Kubiak, and Bush have seen TJ enough to know what they were going to get out of him this season. Who knows...the 5th could be packaged down the road for a higher pick or as part of a trade.

nunusguy
08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Let's just hope this isn't all we get for Okoye if we have to part company with him ?

rmartin65
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
This also means we are drafting a DT next year. It is a good year to do it, lots of good DT's coming out.

chicagotexan2
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Adam_Schefter - More info on deal: Texans traded DT Travis Johnson to Chargers for a 6th round pick that turns into a 5th with minimum playtime.

PEANUTS. DAMMIT.

I'll take a sack of peanuts for this sorry sack of k-wrap anyday. Damn when was the lastime the words Sack and Travis Johnson were used in a sentence?

Bulluck53
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM

I'll give you your talent point, but if it is just a motivation issue I'd be happy if the Titans gave up a 5th and took a shot with him. I think its a great trade for the Chargers. If he was going to be cut anyway then obviously it was good for Houston, too.

brakos82
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I'll take a sack of peanuts for this sorry sack of k-wrap anyday. Damn when was the lastime the words Sack and Travis Johnson were used in a sentence?
Just against Miami.

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll give you your talent point, but if it is just a motivation issue I'd be happy if the Titans gave up a 5th and took a shot with him. I think its a great trade for the Chargers. If he was going to be cut anyway then obviously it was good for Houston, too.

Yeah, pretty much how I see it too.

Thing is, if he does well in SD, Texans fans will be mad at the front office for trading him - but he was never going to be a high-level player for the Texans. The team had seen plenty enough to decide whether or not he was going to be the same player he was, or slightly better. If he does well it will be because he's with a different team in a different system - not because he was going to suddenly be great or even good with the Texans.

Man, the Titans look GREAT with the DT rotation. You don't need an allegedly lazy, and confirmed constantly-injured Travis Johnson.

HoustonFrog
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
There goes your one guy with a mean streak. On the other hand, at least they got something for him. I thought he was pretty useless and no matter what was tried you already saw his best IMHO.

Bulluck53
08-31-2009, 03:27 PM

Thing is, if he does well in SD, Texans fans will be mad at the front office for trading him - but he was never going to be a high-level player for the Texans. The team had seen plenty enough to decide whether or not he was going to be the same player he was, or slightly better. If he does well it will be because he's with a different team in a different system - not because he was going to suddenly be great or even good with the Texans.

Man, the Titans look GREAT with the DT rotation. You don't need an allegedly lazy, and confirmed constantly-injured Travis Johnson.

That happens a lot, though. It will bring the coaching staff into question but it shouldn't. Different scheme/environment/supporting cast has just as much to do with it, IMO.

Titans line looks good factoring in the loss of Haynesworth. They'll be very active but we miss the push up the middle against the pass. We need a force in there and I think TJ could be that if he got his head on straight.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got to believe that, in light of this move, even though we may have some "potential" DTs already on the roster, the Texans have their eye on a VET DT we may not yet know about. At learst, I sure hope so.

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM

Maybe their killing two birds with one stone .

1st bird , Johnson always has his bobos and comes to camp needing to wear sweat pants to get in shape I guess . Not the player they describe as being a real pro .

2nd bird ,a message to Amobi or anyone else who thinks they can't get cut or traded because they still believe the Texans run a country club and 8-8 is a great season .

disaacks3
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't know what's more amazing, that they were able to trade him at all or that the team they did trade him to wasn't Denver. :thinking:

Let's just hope this isn't all we get for Okoye if we have to part company with him ? Pretty much my thinking / fears on this as well. "Conditional 5th/6th" is pretty much garbage, but seeing as TJ took off 4 out of every 5 plays...

Spike
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I've got to believe that even though we may have some "potential" DTs already on the roster, the Texans have their eye on a VET DT we may not yet know about. At learst, I sure hope so.

This is what I was thinking...or at least hoping for...as well. I would think that this move opens up some cash as well.

El Tejano
08-31-2009, 03:32 PM

They will say "Who cares? Brett's playing and my pee pee feels good!"

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
I've got to believe that, in light of this move, even though we may have some "potential" DTs already on the roster, the Texans have their eye on a VET DT we may not yet know about. At learst, I sure hope so.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UOC3TT81i8k/RcBqirRIICI/AAAAAAAAFWw/678DZcHCrUk/s400/grizzly+bears+taken+by+Rory+D+Peters+at+lightscape +photography.net.jpg

Shaft75
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh well... I just hope they can package that pick with another to trade for another DT that can actually play.

I hate Casserley...

El Tejano
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Anybody know any vet DTs available or assume who will be available?

TexansFight
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM

Agreed. No doubt he is a bust as a 1st rounder but was needed depth at the line and as pathetic as it sounds he was our best run stuffer.

m5kwatts
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Anybody know any vet DTs available or assume who will be available?

Packers possibly cutting DT's who don't fit their new 3-4 scheme....Giants have unbelievable D-line depth someone could be cut here...

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
There goes your one guy with a mean streak. On the other hand, at least they got something for him. I thought he was pretty useless and no matter what was tried you already saw his best IMHO.

Disagree. Being a knucklehead is different than having a mean streak. TJ is a knucklehead.

DiehardChris
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM

I think that's the case... and even the radio guys are talking about this.

I'd love to make a run at Vince Wilfork, but that would take a pretty high draft choice, so that's out.

Or um... maybe a sign and trade with Dunta and the fifth we got for Travis for Wilfork? Dunta seems like Belichick's kind of player... but I don't think the franchise tag rules allow for a sign and trade.

Yeah, that's me - Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester. (I'd do that in a second, though - if it was possible, because we're not going to get anything in return for Dunta).

4Texans
08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
This is a contract year for TJ. Getting traded will probably wake him up and realize he better perform for that next Contract. :ohsnap:

Carr Bombed
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Disagree. Being a knucklehead is different than having a mean streak. TJ is a knucklehead.

Exactly.....there was nothing "mean" about Travis at all, just a whole bunch of "stupid". I find it funny how people are trying to act like Travis Johnson was a good player now. He's not even the run stopper, some of them are making him out to be. The problem is, he's been playing next to Amobi, which makes him look alot better against the run than he really is.

A healthy Shaun Cody, a guy who Detroit let go for nothing can give us what Travis did. I knew this day was coming so I'm not surprised at all....good riddance, glad to have the 6th and hope it becomes a 5th.

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
This.

Is San Diego still running a 3-4? if so, he'll be playing the Nose again. & he'll do a fine job there. We should have had him playing the NT in our 3-4.

I would have liked to have seen him playing the 3 Tech here in our 4-3 before shuffling him off though.

ChampionTexan
08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Agreed. No doubt he is a bust as a 1st rounder but was needed depth at the line and as pathetic as it sounds he was our best run stuffer.

If Travis Johnson was the difference between having a successful season, and an unsuccessful season, we were screwed no matter what we did.

Marcus
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but this was his contract year, and they were going to release him anyway. It should say loud and clear what they thought of him.

At least they got something for him.

b0ng
08-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Seems like an odd time to trade a DT for lottery tickets.

Carr Bombed
08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
We need a force in there and I think TJ could be that if he got his head on straight.

Travis Johnson can barely "force" his fat ass into his pants. even if he has a good year, the moment you sign his lazy ass, he'll go back to being the slug he's been since the day he signed his rookie contract.

gwallaia
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
What I remember about that draft was trading down with New Orleans, passing on Derrick Thomas, and taking Travis Johnson. I can still hear all the moaning from the UT fans.

By the way, DeMarcus Ware went at the #11 spot. The Texans had the 13th pick and traded down to 16.

Carr Bombed
08-31-2009, 04:29 PM
What I remember about that draft was trading down with New Orleans, passing on Derrick Thomas, and taking Travis Johnson. I can still hear all the moaning from the UT fans.

Well, to their credit....if we passed on Derrick Thomas for Travis Johnson I'D BE MOANING TOO...

Luckily we just passed on Derrick Johnson. :)

jppaul
08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, to their credit....if we passed on Derrick Thomas for Travis Johnson I'D BE MOANING TOO...

Luckily we just passed on Derrick Johnson. :)

I am just wondering how the Chargers even give up a potential 5th after watching the tape of Johnson getting manhandled in a 3-4. Smith has a pretty good rep for player personnel, maybe he saw something that the 5 million in Houston missed.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
They weren't the only ones. I am far from a UT fan and I was like "TAKE DERRICK JOHNSON!!!! DO IT NOW!!!!"

Charlie Casserly needs to come back to Houston so I can put my boot in his ass like I've been wanting to since that day. No, Derrick Johnson is not a perennial Pro Bowler but he's not getting traded for a 6 that might become a 5 today. Sure they play different positions and I get that. His rookie season he sacked the QB twice. That's equal to what TJ did the last four years in that department.

We passed on him because (and I remember this so clearly) He wasn't a good fit for the 3-4. I wonder if anybody has told the Chiefs that they have to move DJ because he won't work in the 3-4 they're installing. Casserly needs to get on the phone with that. He's an expert though, I'm sure he's already made the call.

Not a UT fan at all but damn I hated that draft.

gwallaia
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm ashamed to say I was hoping that would have taken Thomas when they had the chance. I still remember saying, "Travis Johnson? Who is Travis Johnson." when that pick was made.

Carr Bombed
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm ashamed to say I was hoping that would have taken Thomas when they had the chance. I still remember saying, "Travis Johnson? Who is Travis Johnson." when that pick was made.

Again.....why would you be ashamed of wanting them to take a GREAT player like Derrick Thomas :)

gwallaia
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Here is a review of the 2005 1st round

1 San Francisco 49ers Alex Smith Quarterback Utah
2 Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Running back Auburn
3 Cleveland Browns Braylon Edwards Wide Receiver Michigan
4 Chicago Bears Cedric Benson Running back Texas
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams Running back Auburn
6 Tennessee Titans Adam Jones Cornerback West Virginia
7 Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland) Troy Williamson Wide Receiver South Carolina
8 Arizona Cardinals Antrel Rolle Cornerback Miami (FL)
9 Washington Redskins Carlos Rogers Cornerback Auburn
10 Detroit Lions Mike Williams Wide Receiver USC
11 Dallas Cowboys DeMarcus Ware Linebacker Troy
12 San Diego Chargers (from New York Giants) Shawne Merriman Linebacker Maryland
13 New Orleans Saints (from Houston) Jammal Brown Offensive Tackle Oklahoma
14 Carolina Panthers Thomas Davis Linebacker Georgia
15 Kansas City Chiefs Derrick Johnson Linebacker Texas
16 Houston Texans (from New Orleans) Travis Johnson Defensive Tackle Florida State
17 Cincinnati Bengals David Pollack Linebacker Georgia
18 Minnesota Vikings Erasmus James Defensive End Wisconsin
19 St. Louis Rams Alex Barron Offensive Tackle Florida State
20 Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo)[7] Marcus Spears Defensive End LSU
21 Jacksonville Jaguars Matt Jones Wide Receiver Arkansas
22 Baltimore Ravens Mark Clayton Wide Receiver Oklahoma
23 Oakland Raiders (from Seattle) Fabian Washington Cornerback Nebraska
24 Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers Quarterback California
25 Washington Redskins (from Denver) Jason Campbell Quarterback Auburn
26 Seattle Seahawks (from New York Jets through Oakland) Chris Spencer Center Mississippi
27 Atlanta Falcons Roddy White Wide Receiver UAB
28 San Diego Chargers Luis Castillo Defensive Tackle Northwestern
29 Indianapolis Colts Marlin Jackson Cornerback Michigan
30 Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller Tight End Virginia
31 Philadelphia Eagles Mike Patterson Defensive Tackle USC
32 New England Patriots Logan Mankins Offensive Guard

Carr Bombed
08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Here is a review of the 2005 1st round

1 San Francisco 49ers Alex Smith Quarterback Utah
2 Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Running back Auburn
3 Cleveland Browns Braylon Edwards Wide Receiver Michigan
4 Chicago Bears Cedric Benson Running back Texas
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams Running back Auburn
6 Tennessee Titans Adam Jones Cornerback West Virginia
7 Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland) Troy Williamson Wide Receiver South Carolina
8 Arizona Cardinals Antrel Rolle Cornerback Miami (FL)
9 Washington Redskins Carlos Rogers Cornerback Auburn
10 Detroit Lions Mike Williams Wide Receiver USC
11 Dallas Cowboys DeMarcus Ware Linebacker Troy
12 San Diego Chargers (from New York Giants) Shawne Merriman Linebacker Maryland
13 New Orleans Saints (from Houston) Jammal Brown Offensive Tackle Oklahoma
14 Carolina Panthers Thomas Davis Linebacker Georgia
15 Kansas City Chiefs Derrick Johnson Linebacker Texas
16 Houston Texans (from New Orleans) Travis Johnson Defensive Tackle Florida State
17 Cincinnati Bengals David Pollack Linebacker Georgia
18 Minnesota Vikings Erasmus James Defensive End Wisconsin
19 St. Louis Rams Alex Barron Offensive Tackle Florida State
20 Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo)[7] Marcus Spears Defensive End LSU
21 Jacksonville Jaguars Matt Jones Wide Receiver Arkansas
22 Baltimore Ravens Mark Clayton Wide Receiver Oklahoma
23 Oakland Raiders (from Seattle) Fabian Washington Cornerback Nebraska
24 Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers Quarterback California
25 Washington Redskins (from Denver) Jason Campbell Quarterback Auburn
26 Seattle Seahawks (from New York Jets through Oakland) Chris Spencer Center Mississippi
27 Atlanta Falcons Roddy White Wide Receiver UAB
28 San Diego Chargers Luis Castillo Defensive Tackle Northwestern
29 Indianapolis Colts Marlin Jackson Cornerback Michigan
30 Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller Tight End Virginia
31 Philadelphia Eagles Mike Patterson Defensive Tackle USC
32 New England Patriots Logan Mankins Offensive Guard

2 thoughts...

1.) Looking back on it in hindsight, passing on Aaron Rodgers is what upsets me the most and...

2.) David Pollack was a great player until he unfortunetly broke his neck, it's still sad that he got robbed of his career, but atleast he can still live a normal life which is the important thing.

infantrycak
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Someone (dale murphy maybe) was all over Jamaal Brown. Looks like should have been the pick over either Johnson. But you know Casserly - Brown is strictly a RT.

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
If Travis Johnson was the difference between having a successful season, and an unsuccessful season, we were screwed no matter what we did.

Agreed. Fortunately for us we have nothing to fear because Travis Johnson has not once made a difference in his time here. There's no reason to believe that he would have done so in 2009.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Someone (dale murphy maybe) was all over Jamaal Brown. Looks like should have been the pick over either Johnson. But you know Casserly - Brown is strictly a RT.

I don't know if I was posting here at that point, but I was a HUGE proponent of Jamaal Brown. I thought he was the best player available and would fill a major hole at LT. My second choice was Derrick Johnson. Imagine my surprise when we took a DT that I had rated as a mid second rounder instead of either of these two guys.

The only good thing with that trade down is that it resulted in Eric Winston getting drafted the next year. Fortunately, Asserly was not in charge to waste the pick. Knowing him, he would have taken some scrub.

Texecutioner
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
2 thoughts...

1.) Looking back on it in hindsight, passing on Aaron Rodgers is what upsets me the most and...

2.) David Pollack was a great player until he unfortunetly broke his neck, it's still sad that he got robbed of his career, but atleast he can still live a normal life which is the important thing.

God, we screwed up in that draft!! We could have traded up and had Pac Man Jones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shots:

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
God, we screwed up in that draft!! We could have had Pac Man Jones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shots:

And just think about that for a second. Had we drafted Pac Man he would have still managed to do more for us than Travis Johnson ever did despite his "abbreviated" career. Pac Man accomplished more in his rookie season than TJ did in the last four years just like damn near every player selected in the general vicinity of Travis.

4Texans
08-31-2009, 05:12 PM
God, we screwed up in that draft!! We could have traded up and had Pac Man Jones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shots:

:challenge

He's still available, isn't he????? Lol....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-31-2009, 05:14 PM

Did you ever eat your hat on webcam from losing that bet? :)

gwallaia
08-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Looking back at that draft, I would have bet Troy Williamson and Marcus Spears would have been much better players than they turned out to be.

BigBull17
08-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Remember, the 3rd from N.O. was used to get Eric Winston. It wasn't a horrible trade, just kinda of bad.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I expected TJ to get cut. So I'm glad we got SOMETHING for him.

Jackie Chiles
08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
The only good thing with that trade down is that it resulted in Eric Winston getting drafted the next year. Fortunately, Asserly was not in charge to waste the pick. Knowing him, he would have taken some scrub.

No one remembers this part of the TJ trade down even though Eric is arguably just as valuable to us as any of the players we could have drafted in the 13-16 range.

As for Travis we can replace him with some selective scanning of the waiver wire after the final cuts, no doubt in my mind.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Did you ever eat your hat on webcam from losing that bet? :)

Remind me the parameters of this bet? I vaguely remember it.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Remind me the parameters of this bet? I vaguely remember it.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52818&highlight=webcam

Hervoyel
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
No one remembers this part of the TJ trade down even though Eric is arguably just as valuable to us as any of the players we could have drafted in the 13-16 range.

As for Travis we can replace him with some selective scanning of the waiver wire after the final cuts, no doubt in my mind.

That's because Charles Spencer is missing from that draft. We look back at it and we could have had Winston without the pick we got in the TJ screwing. We would have just had him one pick sooner... or we would have had merely had Charles Spencer. Nobody could have predicted the outcome but we ended up with one tackle out of two anyway.

Thorn
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Let's see how the D line does tonight, and then revisit all of this.

bckey
08-31-2009, 05:29 PM

This is exactly what I am thinking Cloak.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52818&highlight=webcam

THANKS! I forgot all about that one!

I think the whole episode was forgotten.

Jackie Chiles
08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
That's because Charles Spencer is missing from that draft. We look back at it and we could have had Winston without the pick we got in the TJ screwing. We would have just had him one pick sooner... or we would have had merely had Charles Spencer. Nobody could have predicted the outcome but we ended up with one tackle out of two anyway.

Considering Spencer was the guy starting at LT as a rookie while Eric was being groomed I am highly skeptical that we would have Winston on the team without that pick. We can what if it to death but the fact is Eric was taken with the pick we received from the Saints not Charles.

gwallaia
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, at least no one will have to worry about taping over the name of their Travis Johnson jerseys. I think TJ was probably the only person in Reliant wearing one.

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM

Did you and Thorn get your sox mixed up to ?

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2009, 05:38 PM
I think that's the case... and even the radio guys are talking about this.

I'd love to make a run at Vince Wilfork, but that would take a pretty high draft choice, so that's out.

Or um... maybe a sign and trade with Dunta and the fifth we got for Travis for Wilfork? Dunta seems like Belichick's kind of player... but I don't think the franchise tag rules allow for a sign and trade.
Yeah, that's me - Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester. (I'd do that in a second, though - if it was possible, because we're not going to get anything in return for Dunta).

I believe a sign and trade is possible until week six of the season.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Let's see how the D line does tonight, and then revisit all of this.

This is kinda how I feel. I'm not sold on the trade, but willing to buy in if the DT's pick their game up to the NFL level. Sadly, I think my money will be safe.

infantrycak
08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I believe a sign and trade is possible until week six of the season.

It would have to be an "agree in principle" and trade. The Texans cannot execute a contract extension with Dunta until the end of the regular season.

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Looking back at that draft, I would have bet Troy Williamson and Marcus Spears would have been much better players than they turned out to be.

Remember, the 3rd from N.O. was used to get Eric Winston. It wasn't a horrible trade, just kinda of bad.

Looking at that draft again, I'm glad it fell the way it did. Of the 32 players selected, only a handful were really worth a first round pick (using hindsight of course).

I guess I missed all the "evidence" that make some fans think Travis is lazy. I thought he put out good effort. I do wish that effort was worthy of a first rounder..... but you can't blame Travis for being Travis.

I wish him luck, and hope that 5th will be used to move up somewhere, and get a bonafide cover corner.

Texecutioner
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Did you and Thorn get your sox mixed up to ?

What are you talking about?

Texan JBZ
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Hey, hey, hey, hey

GOODBYE!!!

More trash swept off of the streets of Houston. Travis was a good guy and all, but he wasn't a productive player. Good move to cut bait. Now, let's just see who the Texans sign tomorrow to fill his roster spot. Could be either Darwin Walker or Ellis Wyms. Not significant upgrades, but possibly better than Travis.

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/gameday/first_rounders800.jpg

We could have had something special...........

I think I'm going to cry.

bckey
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
What are you talking about?

Your avatar.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
It would have to be an "agree in principle" and trade. The Texans cannot execute a contract extension with Dunta until the end of the regular season.

Cak,

I came across this re. Cassel dated Jan 2009. Is this a markedly different scenario?:

11. Myth: If Tom Brady isn't available to start the season, the Patriots can trade Cassel when he is ready. Fact: Again, this isn't entirely false, but there's a significant caveat. If Brady is healthy enough to start by, say, Week 5, the Patriots could carry Cassel and then trade him; they would have to pay him 1/17th of the franchise tender each week until then. However, if Brady ends up on the Physically Unable to Perform list, then he will not be eligible to return until after the trade deadline. That might be the worst possible situation, as Cassel would be untradeable at that point.

Update: The above is true, but the wording of the CBA is ambiguous on whether or not a player traded after July 15 while still under the franchise tag can sign a multi-year contract with his new team.

LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/107653-matt-cassel-and-the-franchise-tag-myths-and-facts)

Goatcheese
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
We actually got something for this turd?

Color me surprised.

76Texan
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm guessing it's both the financial situation the FO will have to deal it and the sport hernia (and possibly other health issues) that trigger this deal.

And perhaps his work ethic, too!?!

We'll see how it play out!

mexican_texan
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree. I know what we've gotten out of our 5th's, but we were better off with him on a contract year.

thunderkyss
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree. I know what we've gotten out of our 5th's, but we were better off with him on a contract year.
I don't know about that..... I'm a TJ fan.... really. But for a 6th, maybe a 5th.... I can't see any reason for the Texans to do this now, but to cut bait and run.

Think about the situation with Dunta. If you're thinking DR is a "pro bowl" player, this won't make sense to you. But this will help us avoid the "do the right thing" with an average player next year. We won't be "franchising" an average player, and paying him $9 million that he'll never be able to earn on the field.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't know about that..... I'm a TJ fan.... really. But for a 6th, maybe a 5th.... I can't see any reason for the Texans to do this now, but to cut bait and run.

Think about the situation with Dunta. If you're thinking DR is a "pro bowl" player, this won't make sense to you. But this will help us avoid the "do the right thing" with an average player next year. We won't be "franchising" an average player, and paying him $9 million that he'll never be able to earn on the field.

I think Smith and Kubes knew that TJ was not making the team. Why not get something for him rather than nothing. A fifth(or 6th) can be used to move up in a round to select a better player.

swtbound07
08-31-2009, 11:09 PM
I think Smith and Kubes knew that TJ was not making the team. Why not get something for him rather than nothing. A fifth(or 6th) can be used to move up in a round to select a better player.

If TJ didn't deserve to make this team over amobi "what the F is going on i can't play defense why am i ever on the field on a running down" Okoye, then none of us know anything whatsoever about football. Clearly.

awtysst
08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Here is a list:
Brandon Harrison, Brandon Frye, Kasey Studdard, Frank Okam, Dominique Barber, James Casey, and Brice McCain.

These are the 5th and 6th rounders that Smith and Kubes have selected. Not a bad group huh?

DocBar
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Here is a list:
Brandon Harrison, Brandon Frye, Kasey Studdard, Frank Okam, Dominique Barber, James Casey, and Brice McCain.

These are the 5th and 6th rounders that Smith and Kubes have selected. Not a bad group huh? That's not an "oh my God, I can't believe the were drafted so late" list, but they ARE, for the most part, contributors. I was a TJ supporter for a while, I'm just all sentimenstrual about draft picks, but TJ went the way of Carr and so underwhelmed me that I had to forsake my innate hoerisms and agree that the guy was/is a slug. Maybe a trade is the wakeup call he needs to play up to his potential, whatever that may be. If he does great in SD, I'll be a bit butt hurt, but I'll also remember the laziness he brought to the team. Maybe we should thank Gary Walker for that influence.

mexican_texan
09-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I was upset with the trade, but Cody is what TJ could have been. Cody deserves to start.

Texecutioner
09-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Your avatar.

What about it?

Brisco_County
09-01-2009, 02:31 AM
I think one of the benefits of this trade is getting rid of Travis Johnson's attitude. It wasn't bad, but it didn't mix with the aggression that Bush wants. Playing aggressive means being forward-thinking, alert, aware, and proactive. None of these things describe TJ. He's on the opposite end of the spectrum from Cushing, who they want setting the tone.

Malloy
09-01-2009, 02:50 AM
What about it?

Its the same one Thorn is using... I'm all confused too :)

Marcus
09-01-2009, 03:18 AM
What about it?

Confuses me too, Tex. I saw that avatar, and immediately thought it was Thorn's. Did you read that thread where some people associate avatars?

I know it's a free country and all that, but his was original. Just sayin.

PHAROAH
09-01-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm glad he got dumped and maybe we need to ship out Amobe.

beerlover
09-01-2009, 04:40 AM
something tells me he'll do fine with a change in scenery, don't let the door hit you on the way out :BananaWav

TimeKiller
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
You know what's sad?

The most TJ ever did for this team was bring in a conditional 5th round pick.

Nice move by Smith.

Texecutioner
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Confuses me too, Tex. I saw that avatar, and immediately thought it was Thorn's. Did you read that thread where some people associate avatars?

I know it's a free country and all that, but his was original. Just sayin.

This is the one that I've always had. Don't remember Thorn with it. Last I checked he had some avy of Tommy Lee Jones. :thinking:

V3rm0nt3r
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
something tells me he'll do fine with a change in scenery, don't let the door hit you on the way out :BananaWav

beerlover's dead on. same as i thought when Carr got cut and signed a backup contract. TJ's going to be a meh starter but a good rotation guy in SD's 3-4.

TexansFanatic
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
This is the one that I've always had. Don't remember Thorn with it. Last I checked he had some avy of Tommy Lee Jones. :thinking:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/c3922e57/i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

infantrycak
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
SAN DIEGO – Travis Johnson hasn't been healthy for two years.

“I don't think I've played more than 60 or 70 percent,” Johnson said Tuesday after his first practice as a Charger. “ I feel better than in years.”

Link (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/01/n22910-charnotes-chargers/?chargers)

:thinking:

HOU-TEX
09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Link (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/01/n22910-charnotes-chargers/?chargers)

IIRC, he had a similar "groin" issue last training camp too.

I know most think the guy's a slug, but with the performance we've seen this preseason, I think we made a mistake. Or traded the wrong one, at least.

Specnatz
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM

I know most think the guy's a slug, but with the performance we've seen this preseason, I think we made a mistake. Or traded the wrong one, at least.

"I don't think I've played more than 60 or 70 percent,” Johnson said Tuesday after his first practice as a Charger. “ I feel better than in years.”

Said Johnson, who will wear No. 72: “Once I get healthy, I think the sky is the limit, especially being in this program this year.”

Is he healthy or is he not healthy? How is it you are hurt and the second you are traded you feel better than you have in years? Oh and how does he not get healthy in the offseason?

TJ is full of crap and I am glad he is gone.

Runner
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
SAN DIEGO – Travis Johnson hasn't been healthy for two years.

“I don't think I've played more than 60 or 70 percent,” Johnson said Tuesday after his first practice as a Charger. “ I feel better than in years.”

But what are you thinking?

El Tejano
09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Is he healthy or is he not healthy? How is it you are hurt and the second you are traded you feel better than you have in years? Oh and how does he not get healthy in the offseason?

TJ is full of crap and I am glad he is gone.

I think management may have been wanting this since TC started.

Other than the fact he is gone, does anyone know how this benefits The Texans cap wise?

Goldensilence
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Been a few weeks since I've been on. School out here is going to be brutal this semester... in a good way though.

Imagine my surprise when I look at HT.com and see TJ traded. Injury plus lack of real contribution for where he was drafted and looks like it was a matter of time before he was cut or traded. At least the FO managed to cut their loses and send a message to others finally. Even if you're a former first rounder, your job isn't safe.

The fact that when they bought Zgonnia who at 38 has a better work ethic then TJ was telling.

I was hoping to see more of Robinson this year and looks like that'll happen. That's what hard work and effort looks like. Looks like Okam might make an impact his year too and Cody as well. It's possible there are other UDFA that could make as much or more of a contribution then TJ was likely to this year.

If they're looking for vets to maybe come in and fill a spot per KFFL there's not a lot of big names available at the moment. Kevein Cater is just about as old as Zgonnia. Former first rounder about a big as bust as TJ Jerome McDougal is available. Dewayne Robertson and Darwin Walker might be guys that can come in and contribute, especially if Walker got his attitude straightened.

Never was a fan of the pick, but as usual wanted him to succeed because of the investment in him. For all those people talking about Derrick Johnson not being a pro bowler, hell at least he's been a positive contributer to his team on and off the field. He's also got 12 sacks in his career.Can't even come close to saying that about TJ.

Someone in the thread earlier pointed out that some players might've been more productive in different situations or less productive in others. It's all about putting players in position to succeed and playing to their strengths. On that note I hope we don't make a first round investment in another DT for a while. Other then QB is possibly is the hardest position to gauge how their talent will translate going to the next level. I'm hoping for a DB next year.

76Texan
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM

My guess is that he's not totally healthy.
He might have ruffled a few feathers as well.
It's just a shame that we loose depth at a need position for cheap.

On the other hand, Cody played a lot of snaps for the Lions last year.
Maybe the coaches had to make a decision to keep the rotation manageable.
We really don't want players mumbling about lack of playing time.

4Texans
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone think that TJ might not even make the final roster with the Chargers and be back on the street. Texans might even pick him back up for nothing.... Could happen...

sayin...

Specnatz
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Anyone think that TJ might not even make the final roster with the Chargers and be back on the street. Texans might even pick him back up for nothing.... Could happen...

sayin...

Hell would have to freeze over first.

badboy
09-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm still thinking we could get a linebacker with that 5th pick or if it is a 6th maybe another strong safety?

indiantexan
09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm still thinking we could get a linebacker with that 5th pick or if it is a 6th maybe another strong safety?

sarcasm?

drewmar74
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM

sarcasm?

Surely.

Hopefully, anyway...

rmartin65
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
So, does anyone know how much TJ is playing? Will the Texans be receiving a 5th or 6th?

Grams
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
He has 12 tackles and 2 assists. No sacks, no forced fumbles.

TimeKiller
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
He has 12 tackles and 2 assists. No sacks, no forced fumbles.

So he's been playing every game?

El Tejano
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
So he's been playing every game?

Funny!!!! Too Too Funny!!!!

dc_txtech
12-23-2009, 11:15 AM
The Chargers are 1-2 without TJ in the lineup and 10-1 when he plays. So yeah, I would say he is making a huge impact.:kitten:

eriadoc
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
The Chargers are 1-2 without TJ in the lineup and 10-1 when he plays. So yeah, I would say he is making a huge impact.:kitten:

All he does is win!!

El Tejano
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
All he does is win!!

TraVINCE Johnson?

Brisco_County
12-23-2009, 02:00 PM
He must be doing what the coaches ask him to do.

TimeKiller
12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
He must be doing what the coaches ask him to do.

TJ: Hey coach, I got this part pretty warmed up now!
Norv: Thanks TJ, move down a couple feet and let LT sit there, warm up that next seat for Antonio Gates...
TJ: Sure thing coach, I'm on it.

Malloy
12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Norv: Thanks TJ, move down a couple feet and let LT sit there, warm up that next seat for Antonio Gates...

aaaw... :)

Pollardized
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM

TJ: Oh yeah Coach, I was wondering, would you mind if I eat a hot dog (or a small child) while I sit my big lazy ass on the bench? Mark Sanchez does it...

Fred
12-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Coach, I warmed up enough for LT and Antonio Gates in one sitting. Now I'll warm up two more spots at once...

TimeKiller
12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Coach, I warmed up enough for LT and Antonio Gates in one sitting. Now I'll warm up two more spots at once...

Norv: Whoa, take it easy there big boy....we don't want you pulling a groin and missing the next few games....

HJam72
12-24-2009, 08:49 AM
With our luck, Travis Johnson will sack Peyton Manning 5 times in the AFC Championship and be the Superbowl MVP.

Having said that, he sux and it was definitely time to drop him.

Pollardized
12-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Most likely, Travis Johnson will suck Peyton Manning 5 times in the AFC Championship and be the Superbowl VPA (Valet Parking Attendant.)

HJam, I fixed your post.

mussop
12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
With our luck, Travis Johnson will sack Peyton Manning 5 times in the AFC Championship and be the Superbowl MVP.

Actually that would be a good thing. The better he does the better draft choice we get in return.

Does anyone know what the incentives were in that deal?

GP
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Actually that would be a good thing. The better he does the better draft choice we get in return.

Does anyone know what the incentives were in that deal?

If he doesn't play, we get a jar of Icy-Hot.

If he plays, we get a jar of Icy-Hot AND a box of athletic tape.

It's a win-win.

HJam72
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
If he doesn't play, we get a jar of Icy-Hot.

If he plays, we get a jar of Icy-Hot AND a box of athletic tape.

It's a win-win.

No way we can lose that bet! :fans:

Texans34Life
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6888409.html

The Texans own San Diego's sixth-round pick because of the trade for defensive tackle Travis Johnson.

infantrycak
02-27-2010, 04:10 PM
We missed it being a 5th round pick by 3 snaps of playing time.

painekiller
02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
We missed it being a 5th round pick by 3 snaps of playing time.

You don't think the GM knew this and told the coaches to hold him out of some plays do you? No that would never happen. AJ Smith would never do that...right.

Mike Kerns
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
A sixth is still spectacular for a guy that was going to get cut anyways...

infantrycak
02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
You don't think the GM knew this and told the coaches to hold him out of some plays do you? No that would never happen. AJ Smith would never do that...right.

It's tempting to say that but they actually played TJ more the last game of the season than all but two games the rest of the season. Maybe they had the count down. We'll never know.

GP
02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
It's tempting to say that but they actually played TJ more the last game of the season than all but two games the rest of the season. Maybe they had the count down. We'll never know.

We missed 5th round by 3 snaps?

Then they fixed the number of snaps. No doubt.

You don't miss it by 3 snaps, by accident.

Thank you for the info on this. Verrrry interesting to learn that we missed 5th round by 3 snaps.

Texan4Ever
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh well we got our 6th round pick, I just hope Travis Johnson can salvage his career and play well for the bolts.

GP
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh well we got our 6th round pick, I just hope Travis Johnson can salvage his career and play well for the bolts.

Yeah, not bad.

It's not every day you get a 6th round return-on-investment for (IIRC) the 15th overall pick in one draft.

Capers and Casserly = Genius.

Texan4Ever
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, not bad.

It's not every day you get a 6th round return-on-investment for (IIRC) the 15th overall pick in one draft.

Capers and Casserly = Genius.

I'm not a big fan of the pick but at least we got something. What if no wanted Travis Johnson and we just released him then we get nothing. Better to get a 6th then nothing at all.

Texans34Life
02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I would of liked the 5th rounder, but to get a 6th for garbage, I'm happy.

Brisco_County
02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I would of liked the 5th rounder, but to get a 6th for garbage, I'm happy.

True dat.

Hopefully Travis can "do what they ask him to do."

I bet we'll get an extra CB with that pick.

Lucky
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I bet we'll get an extra CB with that pick.
I'm hoping for a kicker.

Vinnie
02-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm hoping for a kicker.
I'm hoping for a DT :fingergun:

Texan4Ever
02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm hoping for a DT :fingergun:

Oh the irony...

Vinnie
02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh the irony...

Hey, the first rounders haven't worked out so great. You never know. :D

Texans34Life
02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
McNair hoping for a DT :fingergun:

Fixed it for ya. :shades:

CloakNNNdagger
05-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Travis Johnson signed his restricted free agent tender to remain with the San Diego Chargers on Wednesday. The one-year deal is worth $1.226 million.http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/travis-johnson-signs-one-year-1-226m-deal-with-chargers/

Please move to NFL section