PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub Speaks: An Interview with the Houston Texans' Starting QB

Wolf
08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
The congestion of bodies is absolutely punishing. You look to your left and right, hoping to dash for a clear passage through to the other side, but it's not promising.

After inching for what feels like forever, a crevice to maneuver through finally opens. If you pick up enough speed, you can hit the opening before the big guy coming from the other direction forces you off course.

Sweat drips into your eyes and your breathing is heavy. The crowd is shifting even closer, everyone astutely aware of the opportunity as the opening ahead becomes even narrower.

Drenched in your own sweat and overwhelmed by the stifling conditions, you collapse. Defeated.

Yet, this is not an attempt to create the atmosphere of a torturous football game. Not in the slightest. In New York City, that's called riding the train in July and August.

But the perils of such conditions are very real. And such hazards are exactly what inspired Matt Schaub, the NFL, and Gatorade to launch the "Beat the Heat" campaign this summer.

Speaking with passion and unquestionable enthusiasm on the topic, Schaub detailed the importance of staying hydrated on the field.

And understandably so. Taking measures to prevent against heat exhaustion has been a chief concern in the NFL since the untimely passing of Minnesota Vikings' lineman Korey Stringer in 2001.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/244545-matt-schaub-speaks-an-interview-with-the-houston-texans-starting-qb

b0ng
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Quarterback Matt Schaub here to tell you about hydration!

He could be the next Billy Mays.

MightyTExan
08-29-2009, 12:24 PM
http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/04/brawndo01.gif

DocBar
08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
"Idiocracy" just popped into my mind from out of nowhere.

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I read this piece yesterday. This interview response sort of bothered me:

AN: Did you learn anything from watching his game that youíve adopted to yours?

MS: Iíd like to say I learned how to run really fast and be very quick (laughs). But thatís not my M.O.

I definitely learned a lot from Mike. Just watching him and seeing how he prepared himself to play, and handle all the things you need to handle as a QB in the NFL, I learned how I wanted to go about things when I got my opportunity.

Specnatz
08-29-2009, 10:43 PM

It was a PC answer, no big deal.

Wolf
08-29-2009, 10:46 PM

it bothered me also..figured it was a pc response

I thought I read some link on hear where matt said that Vick wasn't really like that and used his athleticism more than studying films

RagingBull
08-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Notice Schaub never says he was going to do anything like Vick. I have learned over the years sometimes you learn what to do, sometimes you learn what not to do.

V3rm0nt3r
08-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Notice Schaub never says he was going to do anything like Vick. I have learned over the years sometimes you learn what to do, sometimes you learn what not to do.

like dog fighting? although Schaub was gone before he was brought up on those charges wasn't he?

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2009, 07:37 AM
A PC response is, indeed, what it seemed to be to me also. It still bothered me. Sometimes, as a "leader," it's better to say nothing or respond with a humorous evasive retort.

Hooston Texan
08-30-2009, 08:06 AM
A PC response is, indeed, what it seemed to be to me also. It still bothered me. Sometimes, as a "leader," it's better to say nothing or respond with a humorous evasive retort.

Why do we even care what Schaub thinks (or says he thinks) about a former teammate from three years ago? Just because Schaub told someone in an interview that he may have learned something from Vick in 2004-06, are we now going to disbelieve all the accounts in the local media that Schaub lives in our film room? Are we suddenly going to question whether Kubiak's constant praise of Schaub's work ethic is just smoke and the guy is just plain lazy? Are we now going to wonder whether Eric Winston and his other teammates are deluded when they say he sets an example for the team with his hard work? Do we actually think that because he says he learned something from Vick that Schaub is justthisclose to setting up his own dogfighting ring?

We need some real football to start.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Why do we even care what Schaub thinks (or says he thinks) about a former teammate from three years ago? Just because Schaub told someone in an interview that he may have learned something from Vick in 2004-06, are we now going to disbelieve all the accounts in the local media that Schaub lives in our film room? Are we suddenly going to question whether Kubiak's constant praise of Schaub's work ethic is just smoke and the guy is just plain lazy? Are we now going to wonder whether Eric Winston and his other teammates are deluded when they say he sets an example for the team with his hard work? Do we actually think that because he says he learned something from Vick that Schaub is justthisclose to setting up his own dogfighting ring?

We need some real football to start.

Agreed.............but, if we find out that he's wacking dogs, I say hang the mutha.........:D

infantrycak
08-30-2009, 11:39 AM

That is interesting because just within the last week or so he gave an interview in which he said Vick wasn't a hard worker and relied on his natural talent.

Found it:

Meanwhile, Texans QB Matt Schaub, Vick's former teammate in Atlanta, said he had problems about Vick's work ethic when they played together. He told told Dan Patrick on Wednesday there were signs that Vick didn't work hard.

"He's such a phenomenal athlete. No matter what happened on the field, he could always overcome it with his athleticism," Schaub told Patrick. "That was always his fall-back."

Schaub said he would try to cajole Vick into staying longer at the team facility and putting in more work "You can only say so much to someone until a light clicks in their brain," he said.

Link (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/08/michael-vick-set-for-debut-tonight-matt-schaub-questioned-his-work-ethic-with-falcons/1)

Maybe someone told him to be PC after that interview.