PDA

View Full Version : Good News: Injured Texans Mending Fast

nunusguy
08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Pitts went through his third practice since missing time with a shoulder injury, and he's ready to go for Monday Night Football and the Vikings."I'll probably play three quarters," Pitts said. "We'll come out at halftime and (play) maybe a series or two to really see where (we) are conditioning-wise."
Cornerback Jacques Reeves still is recovering from a fractured fibula and is hopeful that he'll return in time for the regular season opener against the Jets."We're making progress and I feel good," Reeves said. "(I'm) not having any pain and I'm bouncing around a little bit. I've been rehabbing it pretty tough and once the bone heals I'll be good."

Kubiak added that Reeves is on a faster track to a return than previously thought.

"To say that he'll be ready for New York would be a pleasant surprise for us, but he is doing pretty good," Kubiak said. "I think the plan all along was hopefully for Week 2. If he's ready Week 1, that will be a bonus."
Center Chris Myers (high ankle sprain) practiced with the team for half of the reps on Thursday. Kubiak plans to play him on Monday night.
** Cushing was happy to be back at practice Thursday—albeit in a limited role—and is aiming for a return to game action as soon as possible.

"I think everyone would like to see me out there, including myself," Cushing said. "But we have to be smart. It is a preseason game (Monday) and the biggest thing is being healthy for the real season. My main goal right now is to get some playing time versus Tampa, but to be ready for New York."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5502
The big question mark it appears is still Cushing ? And more importantly, how's his knee gonna be after he first returns and plays ?
And I had no idea Reeves could back this soon ?

mussop
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Molden will also get some actoin with the second team Monday night.

In other news looks like Cody will get the start with Omobi at DT.

Cody rising (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6590536.html)
Defensive tackle Shaun Cody, signed as a free agent, will get more playing time in the last two games. He had been backing up Amobi Okoye, but it looks like he'll play next to Okoye against the Vikings on Monday.

“He's playing very well,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “When he's had his chances to play, he's been very effective, so we've got to look at a way of getting him on the field. He's going to get an opportunity to play with our (starters) a great deal.”

Injury update
Guard Chester Pitts and cornerback Antwaun Molden knew they were going to play for the first time in preseason Monday night. Pitts starts at left guard. Molden will play with the second team.

Coach Gary Kubiak said center Chris Myers, who has been out after suffering a high ankle sprain, will see his first action.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Cody has been playing well as a 3 tech DT, yet we might start him at the nose? Yeah, that's the ticket, he's been out playing Okoye at his own position, but instead of yanking Okoye we're yanking Okam/Robinson? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm behind this computer.

mussop
08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Cody has been playing well as a 3 tech DT, yet we might start him at the nose? Yeah, that's the ticket, he's been out playing Okoye at his own position, but instead of yanking Okoye we're yanking Okam/Robinson? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm behind this computer.

Maybe their thinking they just need to get Omobi all the playing time they can right now while it doesnt count to see what he has. Thats all I can think of.

False Start
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Great news about Reeves. I'm still not sold on Cushing being ready to play, I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.

Spike
08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe their thinking they just need to get Omobi all the playing time they can right now while it doesnt count to see what he has. Thats all I can think of.

Maybe the coaching staff is just trying to get the best two available players on the field.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Maybe the coaching staff is just trying to get the best two available players on the field.

If that were truly the case Okoye would not be one of them. At least not at this time.

GP
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM

They are most likely giving Amobi all the reps he can get.

They know Robinson is solid. Why risk getting him hurt in preseason, when you've got to see if Amobi can hack it?

That's my only guess.

If it's a deal of playing Amobi because he's a 1st rounder, one of those situations where he's in good with someone on the staff, then I'll be disappointed.

DelJuan and Bulman are better. And they BETTER be playing more, IMO.

And if Cody is also doing well, then so be it.

Spike
08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
If that were truly the case Okoye would not be one of them. At least not at this time.

With Johnson and Robinson out, Okoye is probably the next in line if Cody is at the other spot. As inconsistent is Okoye is, Okam isn't much better. I don't think Zgonina is really being considered to take a big load, assuming he makes the team.

I won't argue that Okoye is the third, or even forth best DT when we are at full strength.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
With Johnson and Robinson out, Okoye is probably the next in line if Cody is at the other spot. As inconsistent is Okoye is, Okam isn't much better. I don't think Zgonina is really being considered to take a big load, assuming he makes the team.

I won't argue that Okoye is the third, or even forth best DT when we are at full strength.

Other than the elbow problem, what's wrong with Robinson? Who said he's out?

TexansSeminole
08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
This is pre-season so I guess I understand trying to get guys reps with 1st teamers but if we dont have Robinson starting week 1 there is a problem.

dalemurphy
08-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Other than the elbow problem, what's wrong with Robinson? Who said he's out?

He got that stinger in week one.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
He got that stinger in week one.

Yes, but he came back in later that game and he played last weekend. I haven't seen anything saying "he's out".

Jackie Chiles
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
What is Robinson's elbow injury anyway? Anyone know when that happened or if it is going to linger a good ways into the season?

El Tejano
08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=mussop;1235447]

In other news looks like Cody will get the start with Omobi at DT.

QUOTE]

I'm not picking on you but there was a really funny thread started about how people spell Matt Schaub - Shwab, the kicker Kris Brown - Chris Brown, Slaton-Slayton etc....

This just brought back the memory.

texasguy346
08-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Doesn't make much sense to me either. Especially when we're facing a dominant running back like Peterson. I can only guess that they're keeping Okoye in there to see how he'll respond to being so utterly embarrassed by the Saints O-Line last week. I hope he surprises me, but I expect him to get pushed around by the Vikings O-Line as well.

nunusguy
08-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me either. Especially when we're facing a dominant running back like Peterson. I can only guess that they're keeping Okoye in there to see how he'll respond to being so utterly embarrassed by the Saints O-Line last week. I hope he surprises me, but I expect him to get pushed around by the Vikings O-Line as well.

But then it should get easier Monday night in Reliant, afterall he's only got a wuss named Steve Hutchinson across from him. That's a guy that baby-Amobi should be able to man-handle, right ?

barrett
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Scurfield on his twitter page just confirmed that not only will Meyers play Monday, but he'll start.

Texanmike02
08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
And I had no idea Reeves could back this soon ?

If you'd of read my thread...
:whip::whip::whip:

I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so...

Mike

Big Lou
08-28-2009, 03:51 PM

In other news A. Okoye has asked the Texans front office to make a trade to the Titans for Petey Faggins. Okoye hopes that by getting one of the Houston Fanbases favorite all time players it will take some of the spot light off of him.......

Just kidding Okoye better start making some plays or he and D. Rob are gonna be sharing a condo in another city next year.

Brisco_County
08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
But then it should get easier Monday night in Reliant, afterall he's only got a wuss named Steve Hutchinson across from him. That's a guy that baby-Amobi should be able to man-handle, right ?

I wouldn't worry about it. What could the Vikings possibly do with one gaping hole in our defensive line?

TimeKiller
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. What could the Vikings possibly do with one gaping hole in our defensive line?

Ignore it?

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Ignore it?

Brett Favre is going to beat us with his legs.

Specnatz
08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Brett Favre is going to beat us with his legs.

Well that is how you win the Super Bowl and get to the HOF, right?

76Texan
08-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Cody played quite a bit at the nose in the Saints game.
The combination of Cody (NT), Bulman (UT), and Barwin + Nading at DE actually looked pretty good in the second half.

When Deljuan came in, he didn't perform as well.

I had gone back and check. Cody did play at the nose at times for the Lions last year in at least 3 games.

barrett
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Scurfield reports via twitter that Cushing practiced full time with the scout team today.

Cushing practiced full time today, took all the scout team reps. Kubiak said he'd prob be a game-time decision if this were reg season

also, TJ will be game time decision for Minn

http://twitter.com/NickScurfield