PDA

View Full Version : Vick looks good in return to playing field

Hookem Horns
08-28-2009, 12:48 AM
He played quarterback, ran the wildcat formation, even lined up at wide receiver and completed a pass right-handed.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32588851/ns/sports-nfl/

Specnatz
08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Really? I think it looked like shit. I have seen better football from SMU over the last 10 years.

Hookem Horns
08-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Really? I think it looked like shit. I have seen better football from SMU over the last 10 years.

I didn't see the game, just going off the article there. If the Eagles are looking like crap that is good news for me as a Giants fan.

Specnatz
08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I didn't see the game, just going off the article there. If the Eagles are looking like crap that is good news for me as a Giants fan.

It looked like the 4th quarter of preseason game #1. No fluid motion, the game plan looked like it was put together on Wednesday.

jgl35
08-28-2009, 07:41 AM

They are just plain sloppy and have been all pre season. The reasons given don't cut it. Peters, the LT they got from the Bills, has a *^&%$ game. Much more important to worry about then giving Vick five plays. They still don't run the ball to set anything up and when they do run, they can't.
The young guys seen to be more focused then the "starters", but the starters now get to sit against the Jets next week. The Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins are better right now.

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
The Eagles did not look on the same page as they tried to implement Vick into the offense, as well as having plenty of new guys at offensive skill positions. However, once Vick was involved, he looked very good for a guy who spent two years in the pen. The zip he had on the ball may be a tenth of a second off what he once had.

HoustonFrog
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
The Eagles did not look on the same page as they tried to implement Vick into the offense, as well as having plenty of new guys at offensive skill positions. However, once Vick was involved, he looked very good for a guy who spent two years in the pen. The zip he had on the ball may be a tenth of a second off what he once had.

Prison may have made him more accurate.:cowboy1:

Mr teX
08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Vick looked good in his return but they did implement him poorly. The eagles as a whole have looked inconsistent all preseason, but McCoy won't be the primary RB when they start the season as he's been all preseason & if i'm not mistaken Trent Cole has been out on the defense. Once the season starts, i expect game plans & strategies to be shored up tremendously.

whomever is the giants fan in here, they're the ones that need to worry b/c Cutler made that defense look terrible last week.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM

I suppose I never kept up with Vick when he was playing. I thought his first completion was a freakin bullet. I also think he's added quite a bit of muscle compared to what he used to have.

I think you're 100% right about how the Eagles looked. Not much rythm

Specnatz
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Prison may have made him more accurate.:cowboy1:

There is a joke in and out there some where

:backsout:

Texecutioner
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't see what people are talking about when they say he looked good. He didn't hardly even do anything to say he looked good. He only threw one real pass from what I saw and granted that one pass was good, but other than that, he just shoveled a few tosses forward which made his completions at 100%. He didn't hardly do anything though really. On that play where he boot legged it to the side he didn't seem to have the same speed either. Granted, it's still early and all and I'm not judging his speed off of that one play, but I don't see why people are saying he looked real good. If this was any other back up playing that did what he did in that game, no one would have even cared or said that the player really looked good.

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Taken down from behind by a friggin' DEFENSIVE END.:pop:

StarStruck
08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I forgot all about Thursday night pro ball and was watching Yates vs. Washington. Any idea when the game will rebroadcast?

Hookem Horns
08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
whomever is the giants fan in here, they're the ones that need to worry b/c Cutler made that defense look terrible last week.

They have a new D Coordinator due to Spags departure to St Louis. However they are stacked on the D side of the ball. I am not too concerned right now since they looked strong against Carolina. I didn't see the Bears game, so I don't know who they had in there, what type of schemes they were monkeying around with, etc.

Mr teX
08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't see what people are talking about when they say he looked good. He didn't hardly even do anything to say he looked good. He only threw one real pass from what I saw and granted that one pass was good, but other than that, he just shoveled a few tosses forward which made his completions at 100%. He didn't hardly do anything though really. On that play where he boot legged it to the side he didn't seem to have the same speed either. Granted, it's still early and all and I'm not judging his speed off of that one play, but I don't see why people are saying he looked real good. If this was any other back up playing that did what he did in that game, no one would have even cared or said that the player really looked good.

Well, from my perspective i meant he looked good ...as in it doesn't look like he's lost much if anything.

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I forgot all about Thursday night pro ball and was watching Yates vs. Washington. Any idea when the game will rebroadcast?

It's on right now. It will be on several times this weekend.

Texecutioner
08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, from my perspective i meant he looked good ...as in it doesn't look like he's lost much if anything.

How in hell could you tell? He didn't do anything, but a few shovel passes that even an offensive lineman could do. Hell, Travis Johnson could have made those passes. They were practically hand offs. That one pass he made was pretty good, but that was one pass that was only like 10 yards. Other than that, he did absolutely nothing for anyone to say that he "looked good." He just looked like any typical back up that went in there and shoveled a 12 inch toss, but it was forward. They were glorified hand offs.

If this was any other back up in the league, no one would have said that the guy looked good. Everyone would have been saying the guy didn't get a shot at show casing his abilities, so we don't know how the guy really looked. But since it's Vick people are looking way further into 1 yard shovel passes and sensationalizing it like he went out there and had some impressive performance. In reality Vick didn't even get any real opportunities to really have a true perspective on how he did. This has got to be the first time in the history of this sport where so many people act like a QB played well and looked good from doing like 3 shovel passes that were glorified hand offs and complimented the guy so well.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
McNabb appears to be having difficulty biting his tongue (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/mcnabb-calls-vicks-role-a-gimmick/).

McNabb calls Vick's role a "gimmick"

Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb faced the media on Monday for the first time since venting after Thursday night's preseason game regarding the inability of the offense to establish a rhythm, due to the periodic use of quarterback Mike Vick.

McNabb, in response to questions from WIP Howard Eskin, tried to downplay the in-game discussion with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, during which quarterback told coach how to do his job.

Asked whether McNabb would be more comfortable with Vick taking consecutive snaps or engineering an entire series, McNabb had this to say, via the Philadelphia Inquirer: "Before you can come up with gimmicks, before you can come up with something else, you got to get your base offense going."

It's the same notion McNabb mentioned on Thursday night, and we still don't know what it means.

At what point has the team gotten the "base offense going"? When leading by 10 or more points? After gaining 250 yards?

And if "coming up with gimmicks" (a phrase that, in our view, inherently demeans Vick's role in the offense) disrupts the ability of the offense to get up to full speed, doesn't using Vick constitute tapping the breaks if/when the offense otherwise is humming along?

Bottom line? It's great that the Eagles have given Mike Vick a second chance. But his second chance ultimately could screw up the team's best chance to win a Super Bowl.

Goldensilence
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
McNabb appears to be having difficulty biting his tongue (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/mcnabb-calls-vicks-role-a-gimmick/).

I think McNabb is right though. Vick looks pretty forced because I think the coaches want to see what they've got and some of the fans as well. I'm expecting once the season starts most Vick talk will die down as he's by far the third best QB on the roster. Kolb looked fairly impressive as well. Eagles are giving him a second chance, but I expect it to be more of an opportunity to trade him for a pick for a team desperate at QB. Could see a few of those soon too. If Russell can't develop into a decent QB that might be worth a mid to late round flyer. Vick plus the RBs there might make for an interesting scenario.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Yay?

NEW YORK NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick is eligible to play beginning in the third game of the regular season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6601274.html

rmartin65
09-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Eh, I would have said let him play. 2 years is a long time, people have done worse and not missed as long.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
They could've let him play opening day and I still would've cared less. :)

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Last night, Vick looked like a scrub (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/03/rusty-vick-on-display-against-jets/)playing amongst scrubs.

Thursday night, Michael Vick looked like a guy who hasn't played quarterback in the NFL since New Year's Eve 2006.

Hours after getting the news that he'll be reinstated to the NFL at the start of Week 3, Vick got extended play against the Jets. His stat line: eleven attempts, seven completions, 26 yards passing, one interception, and four sacks for 40 lost yards. He also fumbled once, but he recovered it.

Vick rushed seven times for 35 yards, and he scored a first-half touchdown from two yards out.

His best runs came in the second half. Of course, the second half of the fourth preseason game is often populated by young men destined to be bouncing booze hounds from the local tavern by the first day of fall.

Vick also took several hard shots from the Jets scrubs in the second half as the defense turned up the pressure late.

Sitting on a chair outside the visitors interview room at Giants Stadium, Vick said, "I'm gonna be sore tomorrow."

Eagles coach Andy Reid maintained his rose-colored glasses approach to all things Vick.

"I thought it was great to get him the work," said Reid. "Good to get him in there. I'm sure he'll be sore tomorrow. That's OK. He's got a couple of weeks to recover from it."

Reid also mentioned he was impressed with Vick's escapability.

"I think you all got a chance to see that he still has a little juice in those legs," Reid said. "He turned it on a couple of times."

One of the times came in the third quarter when Vick, facing third down and eight, spun and parried his way into a 22-yard strip sack. On that play, and a couple others, Vick's legs didn't seem able to carry out what Vick's brain was asking them to do.

"I was surprised we were able to sack him as many times as we did," said Jets coach Rex Ryan, who intimated that he began to blitz late because the Eagles began to blitz in the second half.

"We ran a four-man rush and I don't think they did a good job of identifying the fourth guy," said Ryan. "Then they started to blitz. Andy is a great guy. He probably knew we wouldn't go a whole game without blitzing."

Texan_Bill
09-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I watched the game last night to get a look-see at the Jets. Vick is just a guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Specnatz
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I watched the game last night to get a look-see at the Jets. Vick is just a guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although he did look like he mastered the VY art of passing.

Kaiser Toro
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Not sure if the author of the article actually watched the game. Vick had a fumble off a sack that was recovered by the defense.

Double Barrel
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM
He was nothing special last night. I don't think McNabb has much to worry about right now. Vick has a long way to go to be up to gameday speed.

Mr teX
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
i mean really who expected him to come fresh outta the klink in 2004 form? He clearly still has the burst to run away from people & he's learning a new offense. I don't think Reid had any plans to replace Mcnabb anyway. He's got some rust to knock off & he can be a real asset if used in the right situations.

Goldensilence
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Frankly I'm a little surprised that despite everything he's still managed to get a semi warm welcome to Philly and well o course the media. He's gets way more attention that any third string QB should get. Also thought the three game suspension was surprisingly lenient from the Commish.

In my opinion this Eagles team should have the talent to go all the way to the Super Bowl and I think the FO was kind of crappy heaping Vick on the team. He's clearly a distraction for a team that has SB aspirations and needs to get get the starters into a rhythm. I haven't heard much about Maclin either who should form an interesting combo with DeSean Jackson.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Frankly I'm a little surprised that despite everything he's still managed to get a semi warm welcome to Philly and well o course the media. He's gets way more attention that any third string QB should get. Also thought the three game suspension was surprisingly lenient from the Commish.

In my opinion this Eagles team should have the talent to go all the way to the Super Bowl and I think the FO was kind of crappy heaping Vick on the team. He's clearly a distraction for a team that has SB aspirations and needs to get get the starters into a rhythm. I haven't heard much about Maclin either who should form an interesting combo with DeSean Jackson.

Then what do you think of the revised 2 game suspension (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2009/09/03/sp-vick-suspension.html)?

Goldensilence
09-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Then what do you think of the revised 2 game suspension (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2009/09/03/sp-vick-suspension.html)?

To be honest I'm a bit ambivalent about length of the suspension it just surprised me that the "new sheriff" would go so lenient on a guy that just got out of prison with some pretty big charges levied against him. Priorities in this league are kind of funny sometimes, a guy breaks the substance abuse policy by smoking pot and gets hit with a suspension. It's what a 4 game suspension for using steroids? Donte Stallworth is rightfully suspended the whole season. Mike Vick, former dog killer and felon, down to two games.

In the end I'm reminded its a business and people still want to see Mike Vick play in some form or fashion.

edo783
09-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Mediocre at best so far.