PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson being shopped?

JWarren14
08-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I saw this from a guy I follow on Twitter who says "Travis Johnson is actively being shopped by the Houston Texans"

Here is the guy's info:

2003-2006 BLT Ravens Scout 2007-2008 CLE Browns Scout (Now the One and Only Twitter Scout)
Time Zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Following: 126
Followers: 4313
Updates: 1232
Twitter: twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

What do you guy's think? What is his value considering he is coming off of Sports Hernia surgery?

Fox
08-27-2009, 10:58 AM
And what would we be seeking in return? CB, S, RB?

GP
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Cash for Clunkers ended on Monday, though.

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Carolina is looking for a DT also .

JWarren14
08-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Well done...

I have no idea what we can get in return, would be nice to get a player in the secondary, or a descent draft pick in next year's draft. No idea really, just saw that today and thought I would pass is along. Maybe try and get something before you have to cut the guy?

Thorn
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM

LOL, good one!

HOU-TEX
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I can't see this being true. The DT position needs all the help it can get. Getting rid of TJ in a contract year doesn't make much sense considering the play of the other DT's. Unfortunately, TJ is currently our 2nd or 3rd best DT on the roster.

bckey
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
The troubling thing is that the Texans need a dt not to get rid of one of our better ones. Did I just say that about TJ? I'd shop either a TE or WR because those are positions with really good depth. Hopefully something will show up on the scrap heap when final cuts are made next month. I just don't see where shopping TJ benefits us in any way.

TimeKiller
08-27-2009, 11:13 AM
How do you trade a DT for a better DT?

dalemurphy
08-27-2009, 11:15 AM

a better DT?

I guess this would be the sell:

Rick Smith "He's injured and not very good but he was drafted in the 1st round. The guy we want is pretty darn good but he was only a 5th round pick. He's obviously not that great because his salary is so inexpensive. What do you think?"

Al Davis "Makes sense. Let's do it.... Just win, baby!"

ArlingtonTexan
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I can't see this being true. The DT position needs all the help it can get. Getting rid of TJ in a contract year doesn't make much sense considering the play of the other DT's. Unfortunately, TJ is currently our 2nd or 3rd best DT on the roster.

He actually maybe our best DT. Which is more damning with faint praise than anything.

to answer the broader question, don't get too existed about anything back for him. Probably a late round pick.

MojoMan
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Just because they are shopping him does not mean he will be traded. There is still a strong chance that he finishes this season as a starting DT for the Texans.

Vinny
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
hmmm, he hasn't played much so far. Perhaps we are. I wish we could trade OkOye instead but I'm afraid the other teams have that game-film technology thing that stands in our way.

Specnatz
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
hmmm, he hasn't played much so far. Perhaps we are. I wish we could trade OkOye instead but I'm afraid the other teams have that game-film technology thing that stands in our way.

Okoye is young and there is always a coach who thinks they can turn a player around and get more out of them. Look at PBurnt still playing in the league.

dalemurphy
08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
or, we could take this approach:

Smith, "TJ has questionable character, owns a lot of guns, and is a guy I wouldn't trust in a room with my kids. Any interest?"

Jerry Jones, "Are you kidding?! Sounds like my kind of guy. I'll give you a bunch of draft picks for him. How does a 2nd and 3rd sound?"

Smith, "Okay"

HOU-TEX
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
He actually maybe our best DT. Which is more damning with faint praise than anything.

to answer the broader question, don't get too existed about anything back for him. Probably a late round pick.

Probably so, but I didn't want to go there yet considering he didn't have the chance to play in the debacle some called a game last Saturday. Sadly, I hope he is better than the poor excuse for DT play we had to endure.

BigBull17
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
a better DT?

I guess this would be the sell:

Rick Smith "He's injured and not very good but he was drafted in the 1st round. The guy we want is pretty darn good but he was only a 5th round pick. He's obviously not that great because his salary is so inexpensive. What do you think?"

Al Davis "Makes sense. Let's do it.... Just win, baby!"

I don't know, whats TJ's 40 time? Thats a big deal to Al...

m5kwatts
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Anyone with twitter should be following MoveTheSticks

He posts tons of good stuff and is one of the few football pundits who mentions the Texans publicly

nunusguy
08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I suspect what we may be shopping right now is not TJ (or any other DTs), but our WRs and even TEs in the interests of acquiring another DT(s).
If you didn't see Saturdays game vs the Saints, let me tell you we desperately need help at DT and we have good depth with our receivers to offer in exchange/trade.

Hervoyel
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Ham Sandwich. It doesn't even need to be one of those fancy ones on the french bread with the dijon mustard. The Texan would take a ham & American cheese on wonderbread for TJ. Robinson can do what TJ does in his sleep.

Hervoyel
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
How do you trade a DT for a better DT?

Bundle him with a WR and find the team that Matt Millen is working for?

disaacks3
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Okoye is young and there is always a coach who thinks they can turn a player around and get more out of them. Look at PBurnt still playing in the league.
This is make-or-break for Okoye this year - he steps it up or he's toast.

As far as TJ goes, he's good when he's "darn well and ready" to play. Unfortunately, for the Texans, that isn't too often.

disaacks3
08-27-2009, 01:18 PM

You guys are in Friday form already... :spit:

Second Honeymoon
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM

wow. that is some Grade A stuff.

nero THE zero
08-27-2009, 01:37 PM

You may be on to something:
M.A. Mehta, from the Newark Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum also left the door open for a possible trade for a No. 2 WR. "I wouldn't rule anything out at this point," Tannenbaum said. "If we can add a player at the receiver position or a couple other positions, we're going to take a long look at that. We like our team... This time of year unexpected opportunities come along. I want to keep our options open."

Brisco_County
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Nice.

It's going to take too long for TJ to ramp up, and they need to clear room on the roster.

Marcus
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

:spit:

HA! Good one GP! That was a f'ckin good one! Kudos!

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I saw this from a guy I follow on Twitter who says "Travis Johnson is actively being shopped by the Houston Texans"

Here is the guy's info:

2003-2006 BLT Ravens Scout 2007-2008 CLE Browns Scout (Now the One and Only Twitter Scout)
Time Zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Following: 126
Followers: 4313
Updates: 1232
Twitter: twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

What do you guy's think? What is his value considering he is coming off of Sports Hernia surgery?

Hey JWarren, totally unrelated question, was that your email or text the broadcast crew read on the air for the first preseason game? I figured it was, if so congrats!

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone with twitter should be following MoveTheSticks

He posts tons of good stuff and is one of the few football pundits who mentions the Texans publicly

I wish I could just figure Twitter out, I have no clue who's talking and to whom they are tweetin'.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Ooh, I nominate Jacoby, I will take Martinez or the other "kid".....drawing a blank right now on his name.

m5kwatts
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I wish I could just figure Twitter out, I have no clue who's talking and to whom they are tweetin'.

I've thought about posting his Texans comments on here somewhere for the non-twitterers... he's a former scout and networks with other ones so he knows his stuff. He was recommended by Phil Mortensen too so he's legit.

HOU-TEX
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Ooh, I nominate Jacoby, I will take Martinez or the other "kid".....drawing a blank right now on his name.

Jenkins?

barrett
08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Seems more likely that we would lump TJ in with Daniels. If we could find a team who would take two guys in contract years. (except OD can be locked up because of the CBA) We'd be using a solid trade bait in exchange for a starting DT (perhaps that we wont have to pay out as much for in the offseason). We've got Dreesen locked up for 4 more, cheap. He can block, catch, run, tackle (he was starting long snapper in the NO game.)

We'd be trading away my favorite player but I'm fine with that if it helps us become a more balanced team.

It makes more sense if we're swapping DT's but using someone lucrative like Daniels to get someone lucrative at the DT spot. The benefit for the other team is they get a "big time" TE and a DT with some potential and motivation to play his ass off.

(Trading Okoye talk is crazy to me. He has the ability to be a very good pass rusher. He just doesn't need to be our starting DT.)

rmartin65
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Seems more likely that we would lump TJ in with Daniels. If we could find a team who would take two guys in contract years. (except OD can be locked up because of the CBA) We'd be using a solid trade bait in exchange for a starting DT (perhaps that we wont have to pay out as much for in the offseason). We've got Dreesen locked up for 4 more, cheap. He can block, catch, run, tackle (he was starting long snapper in the NO game.)

We'd be trading away my favorite player but I'm fine with that if it helps us become a more balanced team.

It makes more sense if we're swapping DT's but using someone lucrative like Daniels to get someone lucrative at the DT spot. The benefit for the other team is they get a "big time" TE and a DT with some potential and motivation to play his ass off.

(Trading Okoye talk is crazy to me. He has the ability to be a very good pass rusher. He just doesn't need to be our starting DT.)

Hmm... I dont like the idea of trading away OD, but if it gets us a starting DT, then maybe. Especially if its a pretty good DT, or an above average DT along with a mid round pick. Between Dreesen, Casey and Hill, we would still have a solid TE corp. I am warming up to the idea.

m5kwatts
08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I wonder if the Bengals would give up one of their stud young DT's Peko or Sims for OD and TJ & draft picks ... I'd swap Amobi for one of the guys too even and the Bengals are desperate at TE right now

bigbrewster2000
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Must spread rep yada yada yada........

thunderkyss
08-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Just because they are shopping him does not mean he will be traded. There is still a strong chance that he finishes this season as a starting DT for the Texans.

they may just be trying to put a value on him, preparing for contract negotiations.

Brisco_County
08-27-2009, 05:11 PM

This seems like a smart bargaining chip. As much as I love OD, James "Sticky Hands" Casey can fill his shoes. There's no doubt that this idea hasn't crossed Smith's mind already. If we really want to reach, we could add a receiver to sweeten the deal.

barrett
08-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I think Casey will be good. He's showing flashes already, But Dreesen is basically a Daniels Clone right now with his experience level. Plus he's a bit bigger than Daniels.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Jenkins?

Yes, that's it, thanks. :cow:

Hookem Horns
08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
MovetheSticks followed up that rumor with

"I don't see the Texans getting a whole lot in return for Travis Johnson. Out of shape, lazy and non-aggressive."

edo783
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we could get a bag of chips for TJ. Not the big family bag of course, but I think a snack size could certainly be in the picture.

Wolf
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm pretty sure we could get an empty bag of chips for TJ. Not the big family bag of course, but I think a snack size could certainly be in the picture.

fixed it for ya if TJ's agent has a say in contract negotiations

PapaL
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
MovetheSticks followed up that rumor with

"I don't see the Texans getting a whole lot in return for Travis Johnson. Out of shape, lazy and non-aggressive."

Sounds like my ex-wife.

Norg
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Why are we getting rid of one of our starting DT last year when last week we got Ran all over by the aints

barrett
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Dale Murphy pointed out to me last night that player for player trades are extremely complicated with how their salaries effect the teams essentially releasing the player. It may be a bit presumptuous on my part to assume we could find a trade partner that would include OD and TJ.

Also, he pointed out that if we let OD walk after this year we would get compensatory picks (3rd round-ish?)

He's smart. Ugly as sin, but smart.

El Tejano
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I was going to say that perhaps we were letting go of TJ to rid ourselves of big money and hopefully spend it on Open Daniels or Demeco.

barrett
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
More and more and more I'm wondering if we won't pay Daniels. He going to be asking for top 5 money and we have a lot of depth behind him and several other players to resign who will be asking for top tier cash. I doubt we can afford to pay them all. He may end up being a casualty in this scenario because there is so much capable depth behind him. Plus that ridiculous Winslow contract in Tampa that they would have to gauge from.

I think I'm emotionally preparing myself a year ahead of time for loosing my favorite player.

badboy
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Well done...

I have no idea what we can get in return, would be nice to get a player in the secondary, or a descent draft pick in next year's draft. No idea really, just saw that today and thought I would pass is along. Maybe try and get something before you have to cut the guy?I'd take a second round pick and trade it to Vikings for Sage.

badboy
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
hmmm, he hasn't played much so far. Perhaps we are. I wish we could trade OkOye instead but I'm afraid the other teams have that game-film technology thing that stands in our way.How about Okoye, TJ and TMAC's contract for Jason Babin and Philip Buchannan?

badboy
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
they may just be trying to put a value on him, preparing for contract negotiations.Please God, NOOOOO!

badboy
08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Dale Murphy pointed out to me last night that player for player trades are extremely complicated with how their salaries effect the teams essentially releasing the player. It may be a bit presumptuous on my part to assume we could find a trade partner that would include OD and TJ.

Also, he pointed out that if we let OD walk after this year we would get compensatory picks (3rd round-ish?)

He's smart. Ugly as sin, but smart.But if you could (I doubt it) get a starting DT this year why wait for a 3rd next season?

barrett
08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Because of the concerns I expressed in the post that you're replying to.

Vinnie
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe this is why Casserly is in town, he drafted Travis to begin with so the Texans figured they can trade him to whatever team CC is consulting for. :spit:

El Tejano
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Maybe this is why Casserly is in town, he drafted Travis to begin with so the Texans figured they can trade him to whatever team CC is consulting for. :spit:

I could just see Mcnair grabbing Casserly by the back of the shirt and force Casserly to look at TJ practice and say " You see what the hell your bright ideas gave us."

Runner
08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I could just see Mcnair grabbing Casserly by the back of the shirt and force Casserly to look at TJ practice and say " You see what the hell your bright ideas gave us."

I think McNair is more interested in Rick Smith and Okoye right now.

badboy
08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Because of the concerns I expressed in the post that you're replying to.My comment was "if you could get a starting DT" which seems to eliminate your concerns IE both teams agree, would you not do the deal?

False Start
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I think hes been shopping at McDonald's a bit too much. :thisbig:

TJ just wouldn't gain much in a trade. So sad, another first round DT bust!

barrett
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
My comment was "if you could get a starting DT" which seems to eliminate your concerns IE both teams agree, would you not do the deal?

Apparently it's quite difficult due to the contracts and how they effect the salary cap of the teams. My original post was about a trade that involves a starting DT. My follow up (that you responded to) was mentioning that it's apparently quite difficult to actually do a player for player trade.

If it worked, yes of course. That was my original idea. But apparently it's not a realistic option.

TimeKiller
08-28-2009, 04:52 PM
This thread is hilarious!