PDA

View Full Version : Glen Coffee Doing Well

eriadoc
08-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I hate watching this. I know one shouldn't get their hopes up on any given player being drafted by your team, as the odds are pretty steep against it, but I was really hoping that the Texans would take Coffee. And I know most didn't, but I had a second round grade on him, and I feel like that's going to bear out.

At least he went to the NFC, I guess, but damn I hate watching him do well for another team.

mexican_texan
08-26-2009, 11:13 PM
He looked very good, I'm not in the least surprised.

GP
08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I think Kubiak and Smith were VERY clear that they were going to take him had he not being taken already. :vomit:

DUH!

That's why you take him earlier.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

He would have been great here.

After watching the Saints preseason game, I wonder how many teams are noticing that Steve Slaton almost always seeks a left-side cutback?

I watched several of his runs, and TK is onto something: He's choosing to go right, then cut back to the left. A lot.

Maddict5
08-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Well, I think Kubiak and Smith were VERY clear that they were going to take him had he not being taken already. :vomit:

DUH!

barwin has also been pretty good so far. tag this one along with deangelo williams as another close miss by us on taking a good rb

Carr Bombed
08-27-2009, 06:47 AM

DUH!

After watching the Saints preseason game, I wonder how many teams are noticing that Steve Slaton almost always seeks a left-side cutback?

I watched several of his runs, and TK is onto something: He's choosing to go right, then cut back to the left. A lot.

Connor Barwin has played pretty strong so far......and are we really going to complain about a RB that put up 1250+ rushing yards in his first season, which lead all rookie rushers in one of the strongest RB classes in recent memory?

Coffee would've been great on this team no doubt, but if Barwin works out, pass rushers are MUCH harder to find. So until Barwin flops, I'm not going to get worked up about Glen Coffee.

If anything maybe we could've taken that 4th we picked up for Sage and tried to trade up a few spots to secure him. Oh well, I'll be drafting him in the bottom rounds of my fantasy draft, much like I did with Slaton and Chris Johnson last season. Every year, rookie backs end up being some of my best picks.

GP
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Connor Barwin has played pretty strong so far......and are we really going to complain about a RB that put up 1250+ rushing yards in his first season, which lead all rookie rushers in one of the strongest RB classes in recent memory?

Coffee would've been great on this team no doubt, but if Barwin works out, pass rushers are MUCH harder to find. So until Barwin flops, I'm not going to get worked up about Glen Coffee.

If anything maybe we could've taken that 4th we picked up for Sage and tried to trade up a few spots to secure him. Oh well, I'll be drafting him in the bottom rounds of my fantasy draft, much like I did with Slaton and Chris Johnson last season. Every year, rookie backs end up being some of my best picks.

This team has not done well when it has zero running attack.

That's a good idea about trading up with our 4th. Missed opportunity, maybe.

eriadoc
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM

I'm not complaining about anything, I'm just lamenting the "what if". Big difference. I like Barwin, and I really like Caldwell.

Vinny
08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
To me, Coffee runs a little like Mike Rozier ran. He wasn't big, he wasn't a blazer but he ran with some toughness, had a good eye for seams and runs well after contact. He'll end up taking a ton of carries from Gore, but Gore doesn't need to carry the ball as much as he used to. I wish we found a way to take him but right now I can't argue with the Texans draft day. Perhaps if Coffee becomes a feature back and the other guys end up journeymen we have a debate, but till then he's just another good looking back with nice potential.

m5kwatts
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
@MoveTheSticks on twitter said Antoine Caldwell was the steal of the draft and that he'll be starting very soon...said experience vs. the size in the SEC will help vs. huge NT in the NFL

I don't always agree with Jeremiah but its an interesting take

Carr Bombed
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not complaining about anything, I'm just lamenting the "what if". Big difference. I like Barwin, and I really like Caldwell.

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the people questioning the way Slaton runs. I mean the guy only lead the AFC in yards from scrimmage.

I mean, don't get me wrong...I'd LOVE to have Coffee on this team, he runs like he's a 220+ pound back.

Carr Bombed
08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
That's a good idea about trading up with our 4th. Missed opportunity, maybe.

Yep, if they REALLY wanted him bad enough, they should've made moves to move up. I guess they thought he'd fall into their laps.......he almost did.

Porky
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Like GP, I'm pretty sure that it came out the Texans coveted Coffee and had he dropped to them in the 4th he was to be the pick. But, I like our draft and I am not going to cry over spilt milk.

As for Caldwell, I think he has great potential, but so far I'm not all that impressed. I don't think he is near ready to start. I think it's next year before he pushes for the starter job. Maybe malter this year, but I think next year is a safer bet.

Carr Bombed
08-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Has anybody been watching the OTHER rookie runningback for the 9ers?

That Kory Sheets looks like he has some skill as well, it looks like San Fran is going to be a very good rushing team this year. I hope we get our defense fixed, before we meet them, because they can play tough D and run the ball. Samurai Mike has that team going in the right direction and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they won that division.