PDA

View Full Version : Quit Whining

Texans_bull
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Everyone needs to quit whining..

Its just preseason. Everybody needs to be positive and BELIEVE in our Texans and coaches.

Lets wait and see how the first regular season game is played. If it looks like the preseason then we can start to panic. But until then lets be positive.:texflag:

:fans:

Vinny
08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I think you have this forum confused with HomersRus.com We discuss what we see here...it's not a giant pep rally.

Porky
08-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Did Joe Texan change his screen name? :user:

Texecutioner
08-25-2009, 10:37 AM
When Mike Bell of all people (A guy who couldn't even make the Texans squad last season) runs all over the Texans in their second pre season game, you better believe there will be some questions being asked especially when it's a team that was awful against the run last season. Like Vinny said, it's a message boards for opinions and discussions, not a Giant Pep Rally.

Tailgate
08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree in a sense. One preseason game does not make an entire 16 game season. This is one of those games where it seems way more important than it really is. This past preseason game will be looooooong forgotten here soon. I seriously doubt we look back to the NO game and go, yep.... thats where it all started.

Heck, I bet this board sings a much different tune come a week from today. To which that game will also be buried in memory once the season starts.

Texans_bull
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM
My bad i just want to read some positive things what we are doing. Everyone here always seems to be so negative.

DocBar
08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Monday night will be a good measuring stick. Does the D man up or show up in skirts? Preseason or not, they really need to show us fans, and more importantly, their coach that they have the goods to be on the field. Besides, we should get a little closer to our planned starting lineup.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Whining? I think it has to do more with anger and disappointment. We're told every damn off season about how "aggressive" the defense will be, yet we've seen the same f-in defense for 4 years now and excuse it as "vanilla due to preseason". Whatever!

I like Kubiak a lot, but this type of defense for the past few years will get him fired.

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Its just preseason. Everybody needs to be positive and BELIEVE in our Texans and coaches.

Lets wait and see how the first regular season game is played. If it looks like the preseason then we can start to panic. But until then lets be positive.:texflag:

It walked like a duck and quacked like a duck but ladies and gentlemen it's a mongoose .

Tailgate
08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I will say this, from watching the game it looked like NO was doing every misdirection back door screen type play they had in their first couple of drives. Going this way... no that way, etc,etc... They may very well be the top offense in the league this year. Its almost like after the snap our players had to look up to see whats going on because they had no clue. On our heels the entire time. We haven't even started game planning yet.

Again, this will all come out in the wash here soon.... I hope anyway. I seriously doubt our defense got worse with our additions and a much more healthy Dunta coming back sooner or later. I am thinking its gonna take some time for it all to come together.

nunusguy
08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I dunno 'bout others, but I'm not the least bit concerned 'bout losing the game, this past weekends game or any other preseason game, even by 24 points. What I think a lot of us are genuinely worried about is the performance of the starting defense for their time in the game, especially the Dlinemen playing inside, and the manner in which they were so dominated by the opposition.

Vinny
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I dunno 'bout others, but I'm not the least bit concerned 'bout losing the game, this past weekends game or any other preseason game, even by 24 points. What I think a lot of us are genuinely worried about is the performance of the starting defense for their time in the game, especially the Dlinemen playing inside, and the manner in which they were so dominated by the opposition.in preseason I don't pay attention to the score, but I do pay attention to individual play and I like to see key players winning their share of their individual battles. It's a glorified scrimmage.

eriadoc
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM

I believe in our Texans. They have demonstrated exactly what they can do on defense, repeatedly. When they start showing they can play good defense consistently, then I'll believe that. See? I'm easy. I believe in whatever they do.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 11:19 AM
After that performance Saturday, I think any criticism is warranted. Not only were we outplayed, but we got pushed around like a bunch of Nancy's. I for one, can't sugar coat that especially under the premise of "it's just preseason". If it were correctable mistakes, that's one thing. Getting pushed around by a team who is not considered one of the more physical teams in the NFL is completely unacceptable.

That said, I will be in the Bull Pen every game, screaming my head off. :fans:

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
After that performance Saturday, I think any criticism is warranted. Not only were we outplayed, but we got pushed around like a bunch of Nancy's. I for one, can't sugar coat that especially under the premise of "it's just preseason". If it were correctable mistakes, that's one thing. Getting pushed around by a team who is not considered one of the more physical teams in the NFL is completely unacceptable.

Yup, I won't be at every game, but when I'm there I'm all bidness

BTW, you just make sure them beads stay around your neck, okay?

dalemurphy
08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I dunno 'bout others, but I'm not the least bit concerned 'bout losing the game, this past weekends game or any other preseason game, even by 24 points. What I think a lot of us are genuinely worried about is the performance of the starting defense for their time in the game, especially the Dlinemen playing inside, and the manner in which they were so dominated by the opposition.

Yep! it was a truly disgusting performance from Okam and especially Okoye. The coaches better figure out they need to get that guy off the field. Otherwise, if he's starting week one, I'm going to have to root for another freakin' twisted ankle or ingrown hair to get him off the field for a month or so... hopefully, then, we can slow down some mediocre running games.

Livid13
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM

No Vinny, it's NOT a giant pep rally. This board has got to be the most vexing one in the NFL, imhmfo ! I know everyone here supports the Texans, but damn it, EVERY SINGLE GAME is do, or die. You guys remind me of a bunch of Longhorn fans. Maybe it's being a Houstonian, I don't know. It just seems to me that the Texans are constantly berated and over critized. I know, I know, go back to the Titans board 13 ! Lighten the freak up, it's pre-season.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Yup, I won't be at every game, but when I'm there I'm all bidness

BTW, you just make sure them beads stay around your neck, okay?

Dude, last year Gma gave me her front row seat. We scored and the net starting going up. My ticket lanyard, beads and crap got hung up in it. I thought I was going to be hung. That would've been one way to get some TV time.
:gun:

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Dude, last year Gma gave me her front row seat. We scored and the net starting going up. My ticket lanyard, beads and crap got hung up in it. I thought I was going to be hung. That would've been one way to get some TV time.
:gun:

:spit: That would've been the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

I know the young lady was Dr2bKay, but who was the guy on the other side of her?

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

If you show up at the home opener and play like they did , you have issues . Part of the backlash comes with the territory of being a team with playoff expectations . It's time to put up or shutup and I for one don't want to go through anymore shutup .

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
:spit: That would've been the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

I know the young lady was Dr2bKay, but who was the guy on the other side of her?

I don't remember because some of us moved around from our regular seats. Eventually I moved down to the first row, but at that point I was in no fear of us scoring or the net. :shades:

J. Sean Wonton
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
I think the expectations are high for this team. Playing well against a good offense is required if the playoffs are a realistic goal.

False Start
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
YAY!!! Texans rule! It was only preseason. We are going to go 16-0 in the regular season, and win the first of 4 consecutive Super Bowls!

Is that better? :heh:

People here call it like they see it. That's what I like about this place. When we play well we give credit where credit is due, when we play like dogs, we let em have it!

Silver Oak
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
People here call it like they see it. That's what I like about this place. When we play well we give credit where credit is due, when we play like dogs, we let em have it!

problem with that is that many in here were calling "playoffs or bust" before voluntary workouts even began! setting expectations so high, so early in the season can only lead to disappointment.

a knee jerk fan base is never a happy one. :bender:

Livid13
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
YAY!!! Texans rule! It was only preseason. We are going to go 16-0 in the regular season, and win the first of 4 consecutive Super Bowls!

Is that better? :heh:

I don't expect the board to be a bunch of vapid homers, but imo, this board is overly critical on a consistent basis. That was my point and I'm not ragging any individual. The vibe here can be very cool, but at times.....

Fox
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
problem with that is that many in here were calling "playoffs or bust" before voluntary workouts even began! setting expectations so high, so early in the season can only lead to disappointment.

I'm still calling playoffs or bust. Aside of extraordinary circumstances (Schaub, AJ, and Slaton all getting injured in game 1 etc.) this regime's tenure may hinge on making the playoffs. There are high expectations because this franchise's fan base has been more than patient for a winner.

I don't expect the board to be a bunch of vapid homers, but imo, this board is overly critical on a consistent basis. That was my point and I'm not ragging any individual. The vibe here can be very cool, but at times.....

Agreed. Come here after a win and there's a lot of back-slapping and optimism. Come here after a loss and everyone's suddenly mediocre, just like we've always known! Of course it's only natural, and a good number of posters are relatively constant in their views, but the 'vibe' certainly highly depends on the antecedent game, victory or loss.

J. Sean Wonton
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM

I agree. It's one thing to call it like you see it, but we tend to see it, call it, blow it up, run it over, put it in reverse, run it over again, and say bad things about its momma.

:deadhorse

Corrosion
08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Havent seen a thread like this since .... Last Preseason. :gun:

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM

When our team has had a defense consistantly ranked in the bottom half of the League, why can't fans be consistantly critical of the defense?

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree. It's one thing to call it like you see it, but we tend to see it, call it, blow it up, run it over, put it in reverse, run it over again, and say bad things about its momma.

:deadhorse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE&feature=related

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Exactly. :gun:

Wolf6151
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM

I believe in our Texans and will root for them always, but I don't drink the Kool-Aid, I'm more realistic than that.

Specnatz
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Damn you dug that right out of mothballs.

:user:

beerlover
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
generally thinking Texans have improved & on cusp of doing great things like winning division or making playoffs to see this revamped defense both new players/coaches look same as old players/coaches gives one reason to pause :barman:

Porky
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Isn't it interesting how close quit whining is to quit winning? :thinking:

Texecutioner
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Well after 3 years with a new head coach that's gone 8-8 for two straight years and with a team that's never even had a winning season I think it's about time to have those expectations. You can't keep saying "well we're an expansion team." At some point you've got to say it's time to be a winner! It's time to be at the top half of the league instead of floating in the middle or being at the bottom and demand that as a fan from management and the coaching staff. We've all been very loyal and patient fans and supported this new franchise. They've got to give us some glory at some point. We have enough talent on this team where that isn't really that unreasonable of a thing to ask especially when there are finally a lot of people around the country picking us to make the post season.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Isn't it interesting how close quit whining is to quit winning? :thinking:

Quit philosophizing. :shades:

b0ng
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Remember 2007 preseason where somebody started a thread about how Mario hadn't gotten any sacks in the preseason.

Yeah. Also this place is practically a ghost town after a win in comparison to when we lose.

EDIT: also, I can totally see 1st string players who have a solidified position not going balls out in preseason.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
in preseason I don't pay attention to the score, but I do pay attention to individual play and I like to see key players winning their share of their individual battles. It's a glorified scrimmage.

Yeah, I basically said the same thing before the Saints game.

In a preseason game, I'm not worried about the score. But I am worried about how people are playing. Especially our starters. And our starters, assuming Okam and Okoye are our starters, were getting manhandled in the middle of our defense. Our LB's for the most part were doing their Morlon Greenwood imitations and making tackles 5-7 yards down the field (or just plain overrunning the play) and that's not going to cut it. Our safeties were repeatedly out of position.

I actually felt like Mario, Smith, and Barwin were playing pretty good on the edges although I need to look at that part of the game again.

I'm hoping that Pitts and Myers improve the interior of our o-line and if they do, I won't be so worried about our running game.

But for myself, I've got to look at these preseason games and the performance of our players and use that to set my expectations for the year. I've been saying 9-7 this year but if we play like we did against the Saints, I could be way off on that. And if I'm that far off, then Kubiak should be fired.

TEXANRED
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
My bad i just want to read some positive things what we are doing. Everyone here always seems to be so negative.

OK. Thats fair.

I am positive that we sucked on Saturday.

TEXANRED
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha.

That is exactly what it was like going from playing the Chiefs to after the Saints game. That was awesome.

Spike
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
The team gave up more points than any other team has given up in the pre-season. It is the pre-season, so it isn't the end of the world, but this was an exceptionally poor performance.

Arguably, we would have the same sort amount of whining if it were just another loss - but old habits are hard to break. This board was founded on whining...

El Tejano
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I feel like I have the right to whine when I see that Green Bay's defense looks like a monsster in their first year under a DOM CAPERS 3-4 and we still look the same.!

barrett
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
against the Browns and the Bills.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I feel like I have the right to whine when I see that Green Bay's defense looks like a monsster in their first year under a DOM CAPERS 3-4 and we still look the same.!

We weren't running Dom Capers' D, we were running Vic Fangio's D.

hadaad
08-25-2009, 02:52 PM

How do you think Dom Capers got to be such a horrible head coach? Because he was such a good defensive coordinator. If he hadn't been good at that, he wouldn't have gotten the shots he did at HC.

Marcus
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Oh c'mon. Capers was the HC. Do you think he was going to let Fangio run a different type of 3-4 than Capers?

If Capers' 3-4 is a "monster" in Green Bay, that's because he's got the players to make it a monster. It's not rocket science.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh c'mon. Capers was the HC. Do you think he was going to let Fangio run a different type of 3-4 than Capers?

If Capers' 3-4 is a "monster" in Green Bay, that's because he's got the players to make it a monster. It's not rocket science.

Actually, had you been listening to 1560 the other day, they talked about this very thing and that Caper's 3-4 was much more aggressive using his Pittsburgh and Carolina defenses as examples. Fangio's style was much less aggressive which is what we got here.

All in all though, that first year wasn't too bad, but mainly because we had some pretty good players that just didn't have too much tread left.

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM

Actually, had you been listening to 1560 the other day, they talked about this very thing and that Caper's 3-4 was much more aggressive using his Pittsburgh and Carolina defenses as examples. Fangio's style was much less aggressive which is what we got here.

All in all though, that first year wasn't too bad, but mainly because we had some pretty good players that just didn't have too much tread left.

Just to add..................

The Texans ran Vic Fangio's 3-4, and inexplicably, rumor has it that Capers did little with the defense and meddled more on the offensive side of the ball, with doubleplus ungood results).

I wonder if Steph remembers writing that. :thinking:

Here's an old Blog of Steph's: The Houston Texans: Bad Team or Not So Much?
(http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2006/08/29/the-houston-texans-bad-team-or-not-so-much/)

Marcus
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Well, then it's come down to the same age old question that never get's settled. Is it the the scheme, or the players? But I don't want to hijack a "Quit Whining" thread. :heh:

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, then it's come down to the same age old question that never get's settled, is the the scheme, or the players. But I don't want to hijack a "Quit Whining" thread. :heh:

Here's the players .

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, then it's come down to the same age old question that never get's settled. Is it the the scheme, or the players? But I don't want to hijack a "Quit Whining" thread. :heh:

Right! So QUIT whining about it! :pirate:

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
:cowboy1:Right! So QUIT whining about it! :pirate:

First you steal newby's flags now your picking on a guy with a bad foot . :pirate:

Second Honeymoon
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM

exactly what has there been to be positive about? 8-8 with most wins coming against teams with little to nothing to play for or the wins coming against the scrubs of the NFL?

should Saturday's embarassing defensive outing be considered a positive? should our inability to even interview, much less hire, an experienced and truly qualified defensive coordinator be a positive?

should the fact that our 1st Round pick couldn't even stay on the field in college in part-time duty and now can't get on the field in the NFL in a full-time role be considered a positive?

give me something positive and i will talk about something positive. The offense was productive, albeit turnover prone, and that is a positive compared to previous years. The stadium has a $5 deal for a hotdog and a coke. That is a positive. DeMeco looks healthy this year. AJ and Mario look like they haven't lost anything. Our schedule sets up nicely this year for a change. Other than that, there isn't much to be positive about...at this time.

Lets hope that changes and we have more to be positive about.

Marcus
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
:cowboy1:

First you steal newby's flags now your picking on a guy with a bad foot . :pirate:

:spit:

Texan_Bill
08-25-2009, 03:33 PM
:cowboy1:

Would you please QUIT whining about the newbies and Marcus' foot?? :pop:

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Would you please QUIT whining about the newbies and Marcus' foot?? :pop:

What if the newby was going to give Marcus a flag to put around his foot on game days ? What if that flag would have made Marcus feel better ? :pirate:

b0ng
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
exactly what has there been to be positive about? 8-8 with most wins coming against teams with little to nothing to play for or the wins coming against the scrubs of the NFL?

should Saturday's embarassing defensive outing be considered a positive? should our inability to even interview, much less hire, an experienced and truly qualified defensive coordinator be a positive?

should the fact that our 1st Round pick couldn't even stay on the field in college in part-time duty and now can't get on the field in the NFL in a full-time role be considered a positive?

give me something positive and i will talk about something positive. The offense was productive, albeit turnover prone, and that is a positive compared to previous years. The stadium has a $5 deal for a hotdog and a coke. That is a positive. DeMeco looks healthy this year. AJ and Mario look like they haven't lost anything. Our schedule sets up nicely this year for a change. Other than that, there isn't much to be positive about...at this time.

Lets hope that changes and we have more to be positive about.

I knew this thread was missing something. And here it is.

Specnatz
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM

From the way the Packers have played this preseason I would have to agree with Bill :gun: :specnatz: The Packers are blitzing a lot and creating a lot of turnovers, and they had a really bad D last year. Now granted it is preseason but that is what we are talking about. :thinking:

m5kwatts
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
I have to agree with the original post here, everyone needs to calm down its ridiculous. After saturday's game I got calls from half my relatives asking for answers and it just hit me, these games don't count yet. Lets hit the panic button when they go towards the W-L record.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I was going to wear a sack over my head just to watch the game on TV Monday. Not only because the Texans horribly suck, but also because it's in HD and I'm not used to a quality picture from watching freaking channel 13.

Also my whittle toe hurts and yall are beginning to make it worse. I can't get rid of the little gray aliens talking in my head through the chip they implanted so that's pissing me off too. And Randall's didn't have good oranges the last time I went there.

So, all in all, I like to *****, it makes me feel better so yall just might as well get used to it, if you haven't already. LOL

Blake
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I think that everyone has the right to be a pessimist about our defense after what we have produced on the field the past x years. Until we take it to a team like the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, or some other high flying offense, the fans are going to jump on a bad outing.

badboy
08-25-2009, 05:05 PM
:gun:Was that in HD?

badboy
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
If the coaches and players can make corrections against GB then we are moving in right direction. If not expect more complaints and that is fair. Most Texans fans give major "ups" when things are right and usually give fair criticisms when things are not right. Either compliments or negatives should be supported with evidence not opinions. I believe most of us do that.

Double Barrel
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8

yep, who can't get excited about that? :yawn:

I am happy that it's football season, though, win, lose, whateva'! :texflag:

badboy
08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8

yep, who can't get excited about that? :yawn:

I am happy that it's football season, though, win, lose, whateva'! :texflag:Yeah, the last woman did not treat me well but guess what? If a new attractive sweetie came prancing up, I'd be a teen ager all over again.

Double Barrel
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the last woman did not treat me well but guess what? If a new attractive sweetie came prancing up, I'd be a teen ager all over again.

Straight up! :cowboy1:

It's the great thing about a new season. The hope and optimism that it could be a better year.

But, that doesn't change the pragmatic side of fans that have been conditioned by years of mediocrity and just plain bad football.

You beat a dog down enough, guess what? He's going to flinch when you raise your hand. Us dogs (aka Texans fans) need a Scooby snack thrown to us every once in awhile! Maybe 2009 will be that time. :)

Vinny
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
No Vinny, it's NOT a giant pep rally. This board has got to be the most vexing one in the NFL, imhmfo ! I know everyone here supports the Texans, but damn it, EVERY SINGLE GAME is do, or die. You guys remind me of a bunch of Longhorn fans. Maybe it's being a Houstonian, I don't know. It just seems to me that the Texans are constantly berated and over critized. I know, I know, go back to the Titans board 13 ! Lighten the freak up, it's pre-season.Vexing? hmm, at least it's passionate and has actual conversations. I think this place is pretty civil compared to most other message boards. I'm biased of course, but I do run a bunch of these things, so I do have some perspective.

I like to think this place is a great place to trade your thoughts without being personally attacked while doing it. Sometimes you just gotta hear what you don't wanna hear. It's been a long time since 2002 and this team had a wining streak for the first time ever last year and we are still waiting for our first winning season (when we started this franchise I was in my 30's and now I'm getting close to my 50's for cripes sake). Patience is for doctors at this point. Breaking down the bad parts of your team is healthy...It sure beats the perpetual pep rally boards that are loaded with nothing but homers who constantly deny reality. I think this place is emotional, like NFL fans tend to be. It's a good thing.

DocBar
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Was this thread started by someone in the Lions organization???:pop:

Texanmike02
08-26-2009, 02:18 AM
I think I'm a pretty level headed fan most of the time. I try not to get too excited or too down... though I ride the emotional rollercoaster like everyone else.

Before everyone goes all haywire on us lets remember we had a team in Houston that went 2-14 once in the 90's. They hired a first time head coach who had a lot to learn about coaching and they went 7-9, 8-8, 8-8 and 8-8 in his first four years. He made some pretty bad mistakes in those four years too but there was a lot of positives to see. He made a lot of progress and shored up some weaknesses while struggling in mediocrity. Oh his name. Jeff Fisher.

I'm not saying Kubes is Fisher, one is an offensive genius, the other a defensive mind... but they are cut from the same mold. I don't know how many followed the Oilers back then (I did until the day they moved, and I'll confess I even watched them afterwards until I moved) but he had a lot of the same deer in the headlights looks at pressers. He had a lot of wtf calls. But he knew football. I'm not speaking about this season in particular, I'm talking about watching a coach grow, and we've seen that. The one shortcoming that Kubes seems to have is he has yet to find a good DC. Its just an interesting parallel and I think barring a complete collapse Kubes is back next year, and rightfully so. I really think that we are a DT/SS away from really being a contender. We might slip into the playoffs but when I really sit and look I don't know that 10 wins gets us in this year, and I'm not positive we win 10 games. Please let us find a DT this year or next. Kollar get on your guys and make a DT out of Fraivs Johnkam. We need it badly.

Mike

Livid13
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Vexing? hmm, at least it's passionate and has actual conversations. I think this place is pretty civil compared to most other message boards. I'm biased of course, but I do run a bunch of these things, so I do have some perspective.

I like to think this place is a great place to trade your thoughts without being personally attacked while doing it. Sometimes you just gotta hear what you don't wanna hear. It's been a long time since 2002 and this team had a wining streak for the first time ever last year and we are still waiting for our first winning season (when we started this franchise I was in my 30's and now I'm getting close to my 50's for cripes sake). Patience is for doctors at this point. Breaking down the bad parts of your team is healthy...It sure beats the perpetual pep rally boards that are loaded with nothing but homers who constantly deny reality. I think this place is emotional, like NFL fans tend to be. It's a good thing.

Vinny, I am a native Houstonian and I can say with a great deal of certainty That the NFL fans of our fair city are some of the most critical in the league (Philadelphia wins hands down). They show up late, leave early and save for The Bullpen, are as quiet as a proverbial, geriatric, mouse. It's a different story on sports talk shows and message boards. The bitching never ends. I agree with your point of certain MB's being all candy coated turds. HOWEVER this board seems to always read like the glass is half EMPTY. BTW, congratulations on making it to 50, it gets a lot worse.

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Vinny, I am a native Houstonian and I can say with a great deal of certainty That the NFL fans of our fair city are some of the most critical in the league (Philadelphia wins hands down). They show up late, leave early and save for The Bullpen, are as quiet as a proverbial, geriatric, mouse. It's a different story on sports talk shows and message boards. The bitching never ends. I agree with your point of certain MB's being all candy coated turds. HOWEVER this board seems to always read like the glass is half EMPTY. BTW, congratulations on making it to 50, it gets a lot worse.

This board is a medium like radio, TV , print, etc. Should it be surprising that the board perhaps mirrors the tenor and angst of other outlets where this acute audience gathers?

If you do not like it, simply change the narrative. :bender:

Livid13
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice syntax there. Quite the eloquent writer. No, I enjoy the site, it just reminds me of why I left Houston for Austin. The board is indeed a mirror like reflection of it's fans, not necessarily the "product".

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice syntax there. Quite the eloquent writer. No, I enjoy the site, it just reminds me of why I left Houston for Austin. The board is indeed a mirror like reflection of it's fans, not necessarily the "product".

In my opinion the board has a pretty accurate finger on the pulse of this product, based on my experience of being at the games since the franchise's inception and time and money spent engaging with the product.

DBCooper
08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Has the regular season started yet?

Grams
08-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Maybe because the a lot of the "fans" that come late and leave early are corporate visitors and not the most vocal ones that yell and scream at the tv during the games.

Message boards are free - therefore open to all us poor fans.

I am probably one of the more optimistic fans here. I do not like to lose, but I do like football and am glad we have a team here in Houston - win, lose or draw.

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
In my opinion the board has a pretty accurate finger on the pulse of this product, based on my experience of being at the games since the franchise's inception and time and money spent engaging with the product.

The dude moved to Austin from Houston because of sports fans ... that's serious .

IMO ... Houston fans aren't nearly as bad ... why ... cause we certainly aren't spoiled . :bender:

Vinny
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I've been an Oiler fan since the early 70's and I'm still waiting for Houston's first Super Bowl appearance. I think the glass isn't even half empty if you consider the Bengals have been to a couple of Super Bowls and that franchise is one of the laughing stock franchises of the league. The fact of the matter is that you are a Titan fan even though you are a a native Houstonian and fellow Texan, but since you jumped off the Houston bandwagon I'm not sure how I should take your critique of the fan base since you bailed on it for the Nashville express. I've seen their message boards, so I think it is safe to say I have no envy.

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I've been an Oiler fan since the early 70's and I'm still waiting for Houston's first Super Bowl appearance. I think the glass isn't even half empty if you consider the Bengals have been to a couple of Super Bowls and that franchise is one of the laughing stock franchises of the league. The fact of the matter is that you are a Titan fan even though you are a a native Houstonian and fellow Texan, but since you jumped off the Houston bandwagon I'm not sure how I should take your critique of the fan base since you bailed on it for the Nashville express. I've seen their message boards, so I think it is safe to say I have no envy.

I remember listening to the Oilers on the radio because they couldn't sale out . This was before Sid Gillman was coach and Charlie Johnson was the QB . I think they drafted George Amundson ( sp) with their 1st pick around then . I remember Bobby Bethard's brother QB for the Oilers and had George Webster's card in my spokes . I can tell you about Houston fans especially when half of them aren't from Texas ( sorry Yankee ) .

Vinny
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I remember listening to the Oilers on the radio because they couldn't sale out . This was before Sid Gillman was coach and Charlie Johnson was the QB . I think they drafted George Amundson ( sp) with their 1st pick around then . I remember Bobby Bethard's brother QB for the Oilers and had George Webster's card in my spokes . I can tell you about Houston fans especially when half of them aren't from Texas ( sorry Yankee ) .
Houston in the 70's was chock full of the rust belt refugees. The franchise had lots of blackouts but the stadium sold out quite often due to the blue collar fan base that tended to buy their tickets the week of the game. I can't remember how many times the game was blacked out, but still sold out after the 72 hour rule. I became a fan during the back to back 1-13 years.

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Houston in the 70's was chock full of the rust belt refugees. The franchise had lots of blackouts but the stadium sold out quite often due to the blue collar fan base that tended to buy their tickets the week of the game. I can't remember how many times the game was blacked out, but still sold out after the 72 hour rule. I became a fan during the back to back 1-13 years.

Yep ... like Bud in the Urban Cowboy ... you could find work on Hwy 225 .

Terry Bradshaw said it best in his HOF speech when talking about the old school fans . He said he played for the steel worker who would spend two weeks pay to buy season tickets for his family to watch the Steelers play .

On an old Oiler note , Charlie Tolar ( played in the early 60's ) and some other guy pulled over in their car because my brother and I were playing pass in the road . They wanted to play my brother and I in street football back in the mid 70's . They were feeling real good and and had slacks and dress shoes but we played .

Most significant Houston teams IMHO in order .

Bum's Oilers
Phi Slamma Jamma
Hakeem's Rockets
Moon's Oilers
Ryans Astros
2005 Astros
2002 Texans

silvrhand
08-26-2009, 10:48 AM

I can still remember in the early 90's going to the astrodome, and the playoffs we had the stadium would be shaking it was so loud. That was an erie feeling.

GP
08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I have to agree with the original post here, everyone needs to calm down its ridiculous. After saturday's game I got calls from half my relatives asking for answers and it just hit me, these games don't count yet. Lets hit the panic button when they go towards the W-L record.

Exactly.

This is the first year that I have not treated preseason games as if they were do-or-die.

Did we look bad Saturday? Yes. We got abused.

Is it indicative of the regular season? Only time will tell. There is a growing sense of anxiousness among us, in terms of our defense and the way it's been addressed by Kubiak.

I'm choosing to have "hope" that Frank Bush is a better planner than what we saw last Saturday, and that he doesn't like what he saw, and that he and his staff and the defensive players are able to change things in preparation for Monday night.

The Saints offense seemingly struck gold on almost every offensive play. Is that a testimony to the leadership of Brees, the remaining offensive players, and the offensive coord? Did they do their job so well that we were going to get smoked no matter what? Or are we just THAT bad? I know that it felt like our LBs were frozen in their spots most of the game, and the fullback made a major contribution toward that. We stayed off-balance all game. It seemed like all our defensive guys were late a lot.

Even our dline had guys who were late off the ball, including Mario. Pause it on a DVR right before the snap, then click the fast-forward button a bunch of times to watch frame-by-frame in slow motion. The ball is snapped by the Saints, and there seems to be at least one of our dlinemen on each play who is still in his stance when the ball is snapped and the olinemen are already rocking back for pass pro or moving forward for run blocking.

It's the little things that can make a big difference sometimes.

jaayteetx
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Read my sig.

cuppacoffee
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I learned a long time ago that preseason game w/l's don't really mean much.

I watch them to see how the new players, draftees and fa's, perform.

Barwin seems to be hustling and wants to make the team, same can be said for Casey.

The rest, well maybe its just too soon to tell, but no one really stands out and make you say, wow, what a find.

I like Orlovsky, he might make Schaub expendable in a year or two.
(caveat: I was on the Carr bandwagon way too long) :gun:

Cushing? Not a good feeling here. I like the Matthews bloodline.

:coffee:

badboy
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Vexing? hmm, at least it's passionate and has actual conversations. I think this place is pretty civil compared to most other message boards. I'm biased of course, but I do run a bunch of these things, so I do have some perspective.

I like to think this place is a great place to trade your thoughts without being personally attacked while doing it. Sometimes you just gotta hear what you don't wanna hear. It's been a long time since 2002 and this team had a wining streak for the first time ever last year and we are still waiting for our first winning season (when we started this franchise I was in my 30's and now I'm getting close to my 50's for cripes sake). Patience is for doctors at this point. Breaking down the bad parts of your team is healthy...It sure beats the perpetual pep rally boards that are loaded with nothing but homers who constantly deny reality. I think this place is emotional, like NFL fans tend to be. It's a good thing.I just want to say I am not emotional & quit saying that or I will get angry and KEEL YOU! :bat:

Maddict5
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM

remember mario's crushed, infected toenails in 2006? settle down

cuppacoffee
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
remember mario's crushed, infected toenails in 2006? settle down

I also remember Benjamin Paul Joppru.

Specnatz
08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I learned a long time ago that preseason game w/l's don't really mean much.

I watch them to see how the new players, draftees and fa's, perform.

Barwin seems to be hustling and wants to make the team, same can be said for Casey.

The rest, well maybe its just too soon to tell, but no one really stands out and make you say, wow, what a find.

I like Orlovsky, he might make Schaub expendable in a year or two.
(caveat: I was on the Carr bandwagon way too long) :gun:

Injury/participation update
Linebacker Jeremy Thompson returned to full participation in practice after missing the past couple of weeks with a shoulder stinger.

In addition to Brooks, sitting out or limited in practice were quarterback Matt Flynn (shoulder), cornerback Pat Lee (back), safety Charlie Peprah (knee), cornerback Will Blackmon (quad), safety Aaron Rouse (hamstring), tight end Devin Frischknecht (leg), linebacker Clay Matthews (hamstring) and defensive end Justin Harrell (back).

McCarthy said the team was still targeting the preseason finale at Tennessee for Matthews' return. Mathews has been hurt most of camp FYI.

TexansFight
08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Playoffs or Bust should be the frigging mantra over at Reliant Park. I want EVERYONE working for the Texans to be thinking that and breathing. No more excuses and no more rope. This team is in its 8th year. Its playoff time now or never with this current regime. As a fanbase, we have been incredibly patient.

Again, this town hasn't had its NFL team in the playoffs for over SIXTEEN YEARS now. I for one am damn tired of waiting.

I want Kubiak to succeed because I am a Texans fan. If he lays an egg this season he should get canned and we should bring in an established NFL winner like Cowher, Marty, etc.

Livid13
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The dude moved to Austin from Houston because of sports fans ... that's serious .

IMO ... Houston fans aren't nearly as bad ... why ... cause we certainly aren't spoiled . :bender:

Nooo, it was my former in-laws !

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Nooo, it was my former in-laws !

He was the chief of HPD ?

Livid13
08-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, how quickly you forget the wonderful game day experience we had together. You were hitting the sauce pretty heavily that day. Anyway, I am primarily a Texans fan and certainly not a Titans cheerleader. I have FRIENDS in Nashville. Their board seems to be a little less analytical. I post over there frequently, as you pointed out, because I genuinely love the people that have become real life friends. Make no mistake Big Kahuna, when the TEXANS line up against Tennessee, I'm pulling for Houston. Vinny, we ALL have envy in our minds, what's yours ? Don't make me turn this car around little mister ! No more club seats for you amigo !

Texan_Bill
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Bum's Oilers
Phi Slamma Jamma
Hakeem's Rockets
Moon's Oilers
Ryans Astros
2005 Astros
2002 Texans

Hobie wants to know why you didn't include his Houston Comets!! :hobie:

cuppacoffee
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Mathews has been hurt most of camp FYI.

As is usually the case, time will tell if we took the best USC linebacker.

I am just so skeptical of the Texans medical staff.

Here's hoping Cushing wins rookie of the year awards.

Texan_Bill
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM

And HOU-TEX is wondering where the Lady Cougars are?

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 12:57 PM

I'm not big into flannel or Rosie .

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, how quickly you forget the wonderful game day experience we had together. You were hitting the sauce pretty heavily that day. Anyway, I am primarily a Texans fan and certainly not a Titans cheerleader. I have FRIENDS in Nashville. Their board seems to be a little less analytical. I post over there frequently, as you pointed out, because I genuinely love the people that have become real life friends. Make no mistake Big Kahuna, when the TEXANS line up against Tennessee, I'm pulling for Houston. Vinny, we ALL have envy in our minds, what's yours ? Don't make me turn this car around little mister ! No more club seats for you amigo !

Are you Hannibal Lecter ?

HOU-TEX
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
As is usually the case, time will tell if we took the best USC linebacker.

I am just so skeptical of the Texans medical staff.

Here's hoping Cushing wins rookie of the year awards.

At the rate they're going right now it'll be Rey Maualuga. He's the only one that has done anything to this point.

HOU-TEX
08-26-2009, 01:04 PM
And HOU-TEX is wondering where the Lady Cougars are?

And TB has forever wondered why Houston never formed a synchronized swimming team.

Texan_Bill
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
And TB has forever wondered why Houston never formed a synchronized swimming team.

:spit: Pole dancing team man. Pole dancing team.

HOU-TEX
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
:spit: Pole dancing team man. Pole dancing team.

Okay TB, we know you like dancing on poles. I was trying to keep that a secret for you, man.

Vinny
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM

actually I thought you were a Titans fan since you tend to hang out over there more than any Texans board. You really haven't come across as a Texan fan and I don't keep up with you, so my apologies. Frankly, I don't envy much, but you started to call out our fan base, so I figured I'd answer...coherent or not.

b0ng
08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Petition to have thread title changed to "Preseason: the Audacity of Hope"

Livid13
08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Fair enough Vin, I watch the Texans games as much as I can, but had to give up my season tix. BTW, I DID have a blast hanging with you that day. You were somewhat of a riot, calling each play, BEFORE they ran the actual design. Do you remember what game it was, because I sure don't ? YES, I'm a Texans' fan, I just know more of the Titans fans on a personal level. I was hoping you'd really answer the second round with a couple of jabs and a right hook. You're getting soft in your old age !