PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Players

rmartin65
08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought this was interesting, and it made me think, why have people not been trying this?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/leagues-stars-taylor-made-for-nfl-20090824-ewdy.html

Hervoyel
08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd be interested to see what might come of it but I have to think that if this was a truly viable thing it would have happened by now. I notice in the article they seem to speak in generalities about running, hitting people, and athleticism but the NFL is such a specialized sport that we've all heard numerous times of players who have spent most of their careers at one position failing to transition to another position even when the spots are superficially similar.

I'm all for trying it but I would be surprised if very many of them could find a place on a roster.

Vinny
08-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I thought this was interesting, and it made me think, why have people not been trying this?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/leagues-stars-taylor-made-for-nfl-20090824-ewdy.html

I think the NFL Europe wanted to attract this kind of guy like the NBA attracts top players around the world but there is no minor league in football, careers are really incredibly short, and the learning curve is steep. Until we see football played at a younger level, I'm not sure the league will attract much foreign talent.

TimeKiller
08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't know much about Rugby but right off the bat it seems like the size disadvantage a rugby player will have will limit all the positions open. I certainly see them having enough sand in the pants to man a safety/RB position or maybe the bigger guys can play LB/TE but no way do those guy gets onto lines. 100 grand to train for a year and learn the game? F'n right I would take that!!!

rmartin65
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't know much about Rugby but right off the bat it seems like the size disadvantage a rugby player will have will limit all the positions open. I certainly see them having enough sand in the pants to man a safety/RB position or maybe the bigger guys can play LB/TE but no way do those guy gets onto lines. 100 grand to train for a year and learn the game? F'n right I would take that!!!

The guy they are talking about is supposedly 6'1" 270, that is plenty large for a LB. And why would you make a rugby guy into an in the trenches guy?