PDA

View Full Version : ABC 13 Preseason broadcasts are sucking

blitz90
08-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Whats up w/this station and the lack of quality for our preseason games?

- Graphics on the screen were fuzzy most of the time.
- Before many plays they wouldn't show the down and distance
- No line of scrimmage and first down line on screen for a lot of the game.
- Joel Myers(?) called #94 'Antwaun' Smith and then after that said that Antwaun Molden was in on some coverage! Dude didn't even play! LOL
- Spencer Tillman said 'Johnny on the spot' and 'he needs to run lower to the ground' and 'center of gravity' waaay too many times.

I don't remember it being this sub-par last year.

Jackie Chiles
08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Joel Myers rocks. "Check that," he is terrible.

ChrisG
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
i didn't watch texans preseason much last year, but this year the lack of 1st down line started pissing me off after the first 3rd down play

old_man_1898
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
And in the 4th quarter Myers says,"with touchdowns by David Anderson and Andre Johnson."
He even mixes up AD and AJ after 2 seasons.

b0ng
08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Grass is green and water is wet. More news at 10.:bender:

IlliniJen
08-23-2009, 10:14 PM
The pre season games on ABC 13 are like an amateur comedy hour that lasts far too long.

The quality of the broadcast and the clowns they have in the booth are an embarrassment to this city and its Texans fans. We deserve better.

beerlover
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
the broadcast sucked even harder than the Texans themselves :pop:

mexican_texan
08-23-2009, 10:53 PM
The NFL.com highlights showed the KC feed last week. The quality was much, much better.

Hervoyel
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
There's no doubt about it. 13 is dropping the ball on this and I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to get together and let the Texans know we're not happy with this. They probably already see what we see but just to be sure I think it's letter writing time. I've no doubt they have a contract or something that precludes them just kicking 13 to the curb but maybe they don't or maybe they could simply apply a little pressure and push them to do a better job. Our broadcasts stink right now. It's bad enough with preseason that you get lousy football but does it have to be broadcast in manner that would embarrass XFL teams too?

TexansFight
08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Disgusting quality and production value for these games. Channel 13 should be embarrassed as hell. I always record the games I go to but didn't knowing that Ch. 13 would be sending in a NON-HD crap broadcast. I have set to record the HD broadcast on NFLN which will be the Saints broadcast.

Totally inexcusable. I think we are the ONLY TEAM in the NFL with NON-HD preseason broadcasts.

TexanSam
08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Disgusting quality and production value for these games. Channel 13 should be embarrassed as hell. I always record the games I go to but didn't knowing that Ch. 13 would be sending in a NON-HD crap broadcast. I have set to record the HD broadcast on NFLN which will be the Saints broadcast.

Totally inexcusable. I think we are the ONLY TEAM in the NFL with NON-HD preseason broadcasts.

Lance Z tweeted that it's the Texans decision not to air the games on HD and not Channel 13's

Hookem Horns
08-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Honestly, we are just lucky in Austin to be seeing anything so I can't complain.

mexican_texan
08-23-2009, 11:29 PM
i didn't watch texans preseason much last year, but this year the lack of 1st down line started pissing me off after the first 3rd down play
I remember seeing it on a play that was challenged. It was about 3 yards off though.

ChampionTexan
08-23-2009, 11:39 PM
The worst one all night was a pressure/knockdown of the QB by Shaun Cody. Myers misread Cody's jersey number as 75 (it's actually #95) and gave credit for the hit to Stanley McClover. McClover was waived this past week. Spencer acknowledged the hit was by Cody, but I never heard the McClover reference corrected. Perhaps they decided there was no way to do it without making Myers look like a buffoon.

Revolution
08-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Myers is horrible. He can't get any names right and he just doesn't know what he is saying half the time. Time to replace him! I really don't pay attention to him anymore, since he makes so many mistakes during the broadcast, but I am tempted to go back and listen, so I can list the many examples. I catch them as he is saying them, but do not waste the memory space!

It is bad!

Second Honeymoon
08-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Whats up w/this station and the lack of quality for our preseason games?

- Graphics on the screen were fuzzy most of the time.
- Before many plays they wouldn't show the down and distance
- No line of scrimmage and first down line on screen for a lot of the game.
- Joel Myers(?) called #94 'Antwaun' Smith and then after that said that Antwaun Molden was in on some coverage! Dude didn't even play! LOL
- Spencer Tillman said 'Johnny on the spot' and 'he needs to run lower to the ground' and 'center of gravity' waaay too many times.

Was it this sub-par last year??

i read that they are having technical problems. what a load of c**p. they were just too cheap to hire an HD-enabled camera crew/production booth. Now that they have gotten lots of complaints they claim they are looking into it and should have it ready for next year. give me an f'ing break.

this week, they will finally be shot in HD and we won't have to live through that. going back and watching last nights game on TV was tough.

Runner
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
It's just preseason. It doesn't matter.

DiehardChris
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
My favorite Myers moment so far (aside from the McClover/Cody debacle) was last week when he referred to fantasy football as "rotisserie football". That was hysterical.

steelbtexan
08-24-2009, 12:30 AM
YEP

More of uncle Bob being uncle BoB

Carr Bombed
08-24-2009, 12:40 AM
YEP

Who's uncle Bob?

Second Honeymoon
08-24-2009, 12:44 AM
YEP

i thought the onus was on ABC13? I know they have to have a format that works for the rest of the Texans Television Network affiliates but they would just shoot it in HD and then truncate it down to SD for the non-HD channels/affiliates of the Texans Television Network (sic). it's a cheap move and I am hoping the NFL Network's rebroadcast will have a feed from New Orleans affiliate that was shot in HD. I know NFLN stated that all games are availabe in HD this preseason, but last weeks KC feed wasn't true HD although it was broadcasted in that format.

oh well, ESPN will make it all better. after having to suffer through wall to wall Favre, Yankees, and Vick coverage, its the least they could do.

OT - i have some seats for sale to the MNF game v. the Vikings. Favre! PM if interested..ill make link on tickets forum

blitz90
08-24-2009, 08:14 AM
My favorite Myers moment so far (aside from the McClover/Cody debacle) was last week when he referred to fantasy football as "rotisserie football". That was hysterical.

I missed that. Funny stuff right there.

Porky
08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
It's been bad, no doubt about it. The picture sucks, the graphics suck, the play by play is right out of amatuer hour. No HD in 2009? What's up with that crap?

Myers messes up more names and numbers than I can count. I like Spencer Tillman's personality but he uses the same trite sayings game after game year after year. Slow too, fast thru - low man wins and on and on. I could probably come out with a book called Spencer Tillman's trite sayings that don't mean shit. Available in fine bookstores everywhere.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm kinda glad they didn't broadcast in HD. That way NFLN wouldn't broadcast Ch13's pathetic attempt of football coverage. It's almost as bad as the Texans defense.

"Tillmans Takes" over-lapping gameplay? Are you f-in serious?! Who gives a crap about Tillman, or his take on Texans football?!

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Was it only my TV, or did some of pregame interviews broadcast audio sound like it was processed through a helicopter cockpit?

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Was it only my TV, or did some of pregame interviews broadcast audio sound like it was processed through a helicopter cockpit?

Ha, if you're talking about the little show with Tim Melton that started at 6:30, yes, it was horrible as well. I can't remember the name of the show, which is probably a good thing.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Ha, if you're talking about the little show with Tim Melton that started at 6:30, yes, it was horrible as well. I can't remember the name of the show, which is probably a good thing.

Extra Points. Houston Texans Edition. :cool:

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Extra Points. Houston Texans Edition. :cool:

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the reminder. :foottap:

BTW, why did you wear your love-beads to the game. :heh:

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the reminder. :foottap:

BTW, why did you wear your love-beads to the game. :heh:

I just have big ba............. errrrr beads.

Thorn
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
our local ABC 13 sucks. At least Monday's game will come from ESPN and be in HD.

badboy
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I did not appreciate the black square giving info on plays or the Texans' emblem rotating. I want as much time as possible to watch the players move into position and know who is where. Often, the ball was snapping before the crap was removed and they missed one play completely. These are training games as has been noted, however they are important to me to critique players. That is why I watch them.

Marcus
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Joel "too much time" Myers is pathetically awful. I don't know what games he broadcasts besides the Texans' preseason games, but if it's even high school football, I'd kill the sound in a heartbeat.

Speedy
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Joel Myers rocks. "Check that," he is terrible.

Joel Myers has called AJ Andre Davis on several occasions already in the 2 pre-season games. This guy is terrible.

Spencer Tillman however, ROCKS!!!

our local ABC 13 sucks. At least Monday's game will come from ESPN and be in HD.

Except all they're going to be talking about is #4.

Double Barrel
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Lance Z tweeted that it's the Texans decision not to air the games on HD and not Channel 13's

The game replay on NFLN is in HD. Wonder why the Texans made that decision?

painekiller
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know how many times they said a tackle was made by one guy usually the second guy. They keep saying Moulden was in the game, he wasn't.

Horrible and Spencer was just as bad as Joel.

Second Honeymoon
08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
The game replay on NFLN is in HD. Wonder why the Texans made that decision?

In other words, New Orleans local affiliate is better than Houston's affiliate. If that isn't pathetic, I don't know what is. Basically, Houston's affiliate is cheaper and more incompetent than New Orleans.

Shame on ABC13 and I hope they lose the rights. Our local radio and TV shows are really embarassing compared to other cities. Our radio lineup is the worst in any major city...trust me. Too much chipkicker and tejano and crap err rap.

Mean Machine
08-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Best way to at least improve the sound of the broadcast would be to simulcast Vandermeer and Andre....they knwo the team, the players, the nuances that Myers is clueless about.
Plus, it's just cool, simulcast!

False Start
08-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Well, they are supposed to have it fixed by next season. We only have one more game to deal with it this season so I guess that's a good thing. Oh, and the announcers are straight up terrible, Tim McCarver thinks they suck.

Brando
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Tim Brando and Solomon Wilcots were horrible on the Saints feed. They were definitely biased toward the Saints on the broadcast.

I agree, time to replace the preseason broadcast team for the Texans, I haven't watched the Texans feed this year but from years past Joel Myers is not very good.

junior
08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Who's uncle Bob?

He's Bud's uncle in Urban Cowboy.

You know the worst part of this is we get to Dave Wards old ass in HD every night yet not my Texans defense, well maybe they only deserve SD, but at least when we have the ball we should get some HD.