PDA

View Full Version : Level of Concern

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Be reasonable

Brisco_County
08-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Very. Our first string defense got rolled.

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 02:50 AM
I hit the "Very concerned" button.....If we don't improve next week, go ahead and bump me up to "Extremely concerned". If we get raped in the running game like we did tonight, I'll start to question the coaching change that we made.

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 02:56 AM
I gotta say, as concerning as the run defense is right now, the fact that that Saints defense actually made some plays against our O and made some key stops was equally disturbing. Schaub & 1st team had a good drive but from then on the offense was far from clean and was basically a huge let down considering the talent they were facing. There was yards and points left out there to say the least.

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 03:02 AM
I gotta say, as concerning as the run defense is right now, the fact that that Saints defense actually made some plays against our O and made some key stops was equally disturbing. Schaub & 1st team had a good drive but from then on the offense was far from clean and was basically a huge let down considering the talent they were facing. There was yards and points left out there to say the least.

That wasn't as alarming to me, they hired Greg Williams (a guy I wanted Houston to take a look at, not just trusting someone already on our inept staff), he's a good defensive coach and they should be pretty damn good as a team this season. I actually expected NOLA to be pretty tough on D.

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 03:03 AM
That wasn't as alarming to me, the hired Greg Williams (a guy I wanted Houston to take a look at, not just trusting someone on our staff), he's a good defensive coach and they should be pretty damn good as a team this season.

I really hope you're right cause that Saints D couldn't stop a thing last year

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 03:07 AM

That changed alot over that year, Mainly with their D coord, the draft/FA pickups, and Jonathan Vilma the year before. They actually have some quality players now. Greg Williams got a bad rap in Jacksonville, he's a good proven coach. I'm still holding out hope for Bush, but so far, I'm seeing much of the same.

ReliantTexan
08-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Not worried at all. This time last year it didn't look like we would have anything resembling a running game, our O-line couldn't open up anything, kind of like how it looks now. Every year you'll see this after these exhibition games whether it be summer league in the nba or pre-season everyone always overreacts, and I've seen it too many times to fall for it again.

thunderkyss
08-23-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm voting not really. Not just because it's the preseason, but because the N.O. Saints had the #1 offense last year. Our opponents this season don't.

Of course i would have liked to have seen something better than what we saw tonight..... but whatever.

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Not worried at all. This time last year it didn't look like we would have anything resembling a running game, our O-line couldn't open up anything, kind of like how it looks now. Every year you'll hear this after these exhibition games whether it be summer league in the nba or pre-season everyone always, overreacts, and I've seen it too many times to fall for it again.

There's only a couple of problems...

Last year you "expected" a running game with Green going down once again, but you got one with Slaton, and our Oline.

This year, you expected a running game, but aren't getting one. (as well, you aren't stopping the run either, go figure...we'll see how that works out)

This isn't the NBA summer league either (kind of a weak comparison) Nobody really gives a crap about that (NBA summer league), because that's a bad comparison......how many NBA starters play during "summer league"? It doesn't happen.....Summer league is like the NFL practice squad. The whole entire Summer League can be summarized into the 4th and final preseason game..and even then I don't know if it matters as much. So the last thing you should be comparing preseason football to is summer league basketball.

ReliantTexan
08-23-2009, 04:30 AM
There's only a couple of problems...

Last year you didn't "expect" a running game with Green going down once again, but you got one with Slaton, and our Oline.

This year, you expected a running game, but aren't getting one. (as well, you aren't stopping the run either) Which proves my point. They were wrong about our running game then just like they're probably wrong about our defense now. And let's not get ahead of ourselves, it was one preseason game that we didn't stop the run. One game in which our starters played a little over a quarter.

This isn't the NBA summer league either (kind of a weak comparison), nobody really gives a crap about that (NBA summer league), because that's a crappy comparison......how many NBA starters play during "summer league"? It doesn't happen..... Regardless of what you think they are similar in that they are used mainly to evaluate rookies and bubble players trying to get a roster spot(including high draft picks who will be starting for their teams), I definitely wouldn't compare it to an nfl practice squad.

Thorn
08-23-2009, 07:48 AM
I voted "very concerned". :brickwall:

SheTexan
08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I voted NOT REALLY! It's preseason, and most of those players that played like Jr High kids, won't be around in a couple of weeks. PLUS, no reason for the guys to put out 100% in a meaningless game, esp the first string. I sure as hell don't want to see anyone HURT!!!

Put this poll back up after the Jets game! Our boys fail to show some HEART, and play like puzzy's, THEN I'll be concerned!

alphajoker
08-23-2009, 09:29 AM
voted very concerned - run defense has me worried the most.

DavidC
08-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I voted Kinda Concerned. It is preseason, and I am sure that they will become much more intense once the season starts, but I would have liked to see them stop the run a little better last night.

MojoMan
08-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I am not particularly concerned. The Texans were competitive with their first team guys on the field. Matters did not get out of hand until later in the game.

Texan's players have been hearing themselves touted as a playoff caliber football team all summer. This is a perfect time to take a loss like this, if you are going to. The coaches will use this performance to light a fire under their butts, and to emphasize that all the preseason prognosticating means exactly zero.

This team has never had a winning season, and they will not have one this year either if they cannot consistently play better than they did last night. If the Texans are going to earn a playoff spot this year, they are going to have to win it on the football field on Sundays against other NFL teams with the same hopes and expectations as the Texans. There is no other way.

Kubiak and company will realize this loss as a "teachable moment," and I expect they will make the most of it.

HTown2ATX
08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm walking a razor thin line between Very and Extremely. I posted in the gameday thread that I saw the loss last night coming since we did not smash KC into dust like we should have. The response that I got was that I was looking at that wrong b/c the Vikings barely beat KC and the Vikes are SB contenders.....says who??? ESPN? Anyone REALLY think that Favre will just magically take them to the SB??? Maybe I will have to eat my words on that, but for right now, we still should have CRUSHED a weakling team like KC and the fact that the Vikes barely beat them indicating that the KC win was quality for us is rubbish in my mind because we know that KC did not make some major jump to playoff status. So the Viking game indicates that they are either A)- not as good as we think or B)- Favre is just getting used to the system or C)-every dog has his day and KC played well. Anyway you slice it we should have smashed KC and at least competed with with NO. It's the same lame-ass song and dance that I have seen for too many years out of this team. Win one week, just show up and suck b@ll$ the next week. Pure crap and I was very dissapointed last night. Please don't tell me about how NO has the No 1 scoring offense.....b/c that's true but we did not even COMPETE!!!! G-D I am getting tired of this!! So put me down for very and if they play like this next week raise me up a notch! Run D got raped, pass D got smoked, LB's were pretty much silent.....offense moved backwards.....total crap accept for that 1st drive.

:bat:

steelbtexan
08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
New def coordinator

Same crappy defense

Sick of seeing the same bad product for 7 years.

Yankee_In_TX
08-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I voted Kinda Concerned. It is preseason, and I am sure that they will become much more intense once the season starts, but I would have liked to see them stop the run a little better last night.

Ditto.

Houston_Fanatic
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I voted very because of the tissue-paper run defense by our 1's.

I realize this is pre-season practice, but we don't have much time to fix this before it counts. I am tired of us always starting out so slow every year and digging ourselves a hole we can't get out of.

We are very similar to NO with a high-powered offense and a weak defense (last year) but they seem to have made bigger strides with their defense than we have with ours. Looks like Sean giving up part of his salary to get the def. coordinator he wanted is paying off. They had us stopped on our first drive if it wasn't for their stupid penalty and they did a good job containing our running game.

scourge
08-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Very. I am tired of hearing every preseason that we are running a vanilla defense. We have always done that in the regular season as well.

b0ng
08-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Voted "Kinda". My problem with the game was nobody looked motivated to do anything outside of a few players. I'm sad that Slatons decent day running is getting drowned out by the "woe is us" crowd only wanting to point out the negatives.

Barwin is reminding me of Slaton of last preseason. If he can keep up the pressure and the creativity with is pass rushing he's going to be harder and harder to keep off the field. AJ is still beastly, and the TE's are all making plays now. Owen Daniels is pretty good, and Dreesen keeps making plays. James Casey is showing great things on the field no matter where they put him.

Yeah, Amobi looked pretty run-of-the-mill. Frank Okam did a dissappearing act. The LB's were not nearly as instinctive and quick getting to the ball. The CB's were looking quite out-matched, and I didn't see anything from the S position really.

But it seems like after a loss everybody wants to focus on the negative (More to conversate about), and it reminds me how the season went last year. This board would almost be dead on Monday after a win, but when we lost to the Raiders, oh my god. All in all, you hope that since this was a preseason game the coaches now have a lot more to hammer the players on so that they can get the work in to improve.

Ryan
08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
it's preseason. that is all. Even Detroit looks good in preseason.

Texan4Ever
08-23-2009, 02:18 PM
This IS the preseason and we are playing a good Saints team that has a good passing offense. I am concerned about our performance but I am not hitting the "Panic Button" just yet.

I just hope we can look at these game tapes and improve, otherwise its going to be another 8-8!

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Voted "Kinda". My problem with the game was nobody looked motivated to do anything outside of a few players. I'm sad that Slatons decent day running is getting drowned out by the "woe is us" crowd only wanting to point out the negatives.

Barwin is reminding me of Slaton of last preseason. If he can keep up the pressure and the creativity with is pass rushing he's going to be harder and harder to keep off the field. AJ is still beastly, and the TE's are all making plays now. Owen Daniels is pretty good, and Dreesen keeps making plays. James Casey is showing great things on the field no matter where they put him.

Yeah, Amobi looked pretty run-of-the-mill. Frank Okam did a dissappearing act. The LB's were not nearly as instinctive and quick getting to the ball. The CB's were looking quite out-matched, and I didn't see anything from the S position really.

But it seems like after a loss everybody wants to focus on the negative (More to conversate about), and it reminds me how the season went last year. This board would almost be dead on Monday after a win, but when we lost to the Raiders, oh my god. All in all, you hope that since this was a preseason game the coaches now have a lot more to hammer the players on so that they can get the work in to improve.

Have to disagree about Amobi. He showed up more in this one...not that he was lighting the place up but he did hit Brees once and got pressure.

Okam not showing up was disturbing because its the same old crap he pulled at UT. He's not a football player, he's just a smart dude in a big DT's body. He has the ability to dominate in streaks versus anyone's interior line but then gets completely moved out of plays like he doesn't belong out there.

The difference between this one and KC, last week our defensive front four controlled the tempo all game, this week it was bad and got worse.

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm on the fence between Kinda and Very. But I chose Very.

I really expected more out of us last night. I expected more out of Okam and I expected more out of our 2nd stringers.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game (Mario looks good, Smith looked much better than Weaver, Barwin looked good, Slaton) but there were a lot of things that concerned me:

1. Our offense didn't seem to be clicking like normal. Hopefully getting Pitts and Myers back will clear some of that up.

2. Our interior d-line was simply bad. Hopefully, we can find a combination that really works and have the guts to do whatever we need to do with Okoye.

3. Arian Foster and Chris Brown didn't look as good as I expected. I'm very let down by that.

4. Our overall base defense just didn't look good. The LB's didn't seem to be in the right places and the CB's seemed to be playing a lot of off coverage. Really, this looked just like our old defense. And that bothers me the most.

scourge
08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
it's preseason. that is all. Even Detroit looks good in preseason.

They went undefeated last years preseason... look where that got them.

Texan JBZ
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Not concerned at all. Guys, it's preseason. Check out the Titans poor tackling versus the Cowboys as exhibit A or the Bears beating the Giants 17-3 as exhibit B. It's just another meaningless preseason game. The only preseason game that matters is the third one and even it is meaningless.

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm on the fence between Kinda and Very. But I chose Very.

I really expected more out of us last night. I expected more out of Okam and I expected more out of our 2nd stringers.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game (Mario looks good, Smith looked much better than Weaver, Barwin looked good, Slaton) but there were a lot of things that concerned me:

1. Our offense didn't seem to be clicking like normal. Hopefully getting Pitts and Myers back will clear some of that up.

2. Our interior d-line was simply bad. Hopefully, we can find a combination that really works and have the guts to do whatever we need to do with Okoye.

3. Arian Foster and Chris Brown didn't look as good as I expected. I'm very let down by that.

4. Our overall base defense just didn't look good. The LB's didn't seem to be in the right places and the CB's seemed to be playing a lot of off coverage. Really, this looked just like our old defense. And that bothers me the most.

I voted VERY for very much the same reasons that you point out.

I feel that Schaub was being hurried on every play.......the interior OL was either being bunched in the middle leaving no holes for the RB, or embarassingly pushed backwards when pass protecting. On many plays, it was to Schaub's credit that he merely got as many passes off as he did.

The penalties were rookie mistakes, but produced by vets.......very disconcerting.

Let me also point out something that should be obvious when using the argument that we didn't have 2 of our OL starters...........speaks to a sad testimony of "depth."

Our D looked like they took the turd that was our defense last year, polished it, and threw it back on the field.

ReliantTexan
08-23-2009, 04:50 PM
IMO the only area in which the first string was horrible in was the run d other than that I thought they were fine. They got consistent pressure on Brees (sacking him twice) in the time they were out there. The pass coverage was ok minus a couple of blown coverages, it wasn't great but what can you expect with your two starting CBs from last year out.

Texecutioner
08-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I voted very concerned. This defense looked like a bunch of rookies. Mike freaking Bell ran all over the Texans like they were a college squad. Mike Bell? Really?

The Texans are still an 8-8 team that has never had a winning season under their belt and is being coached by a guy that's never experienced a winning season either, so when I see a performance like last night, yeah I'm concerned and very concerned.

Pre season is for evaluating things and seeing how certain players are playing and where they are improving and getting chemistry together. The defense didn't look like it had a lot of chemistry last night. Pre season games really aren't for winning and losing, but to see how certain mixtures of players are playing and I didn't see a lot of success out there with the mixtures on defense.

Thorn
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Not concerned at all. Guys, it's preseason. Check out the Titans poor tackling versus the Cowboys as exhibit A or the Bears beating the Giants 17-3 as exhibit B. It's just another meaningless preseason game. The only preseason game that matters is the third one and even it is meaningless.

If you think you can take away my god given right to panic, forget about it. I can panic with the best of them and be drinking kool aid the next weekend.

:panic: then :smiliedance: then :brickwall: then :victory: then :crying: then :shots: = Texans fans

NitroGSXR
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
They no longer have Jason David. I was really missing him last night.

Is this a public poll? I can't seem to click on the numbers and see where what and who stands.

Hervoyel
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I am entirely unconcerned by this. First team offense was fine. First team defense did not do well against the best offense in the league last season while missing Cushing and Robinson* so that's not surprising to me. If this was a regular season game then it's a scoring contest and hopefully our first team defense wakes up at some point and gets a couple of necessary stops. Instead it was preseason and once Matt Schaub sits down we've got Orlovsky and Alex Brink. Our backup QB's are complete crap right now and that does concern me but what can we do about it? New Orleans third string QB (Brunell) is better than our 2 & 3 combined. That's a problem and I can't believe that the best option for replacing Rosenfels was to go track down this guy and Grossman. There were very good options out there and hopefully Orlovsky gets better and proves me wrong but right now it's Schaub or lose.

*No, I don't think much of Dunta as a CB but it's plainly visible that the players around Dunta play better and harder when he's on the field, warts and all.

Fox
08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I voted 'kind of' concerned. The way I see it much of preseason is about evaluating individual performances. You play relatively vanilla, have your guy line up in front of their guy and just go, see how they do. The concerning part is that for the most part their guy lined up and whooped our guy's butt (especially in the trenches). On the other hand I'm not ready to chalk up our defense as crap again, because I want to see what Bush can do schematically with the D with a week of game planning for an opponent.

I know that's the source of much frustration among those who highly regard the prognostic value of preseason (the 'vanilla' excuse), but I truly do want to see what kind of game plan our new D coordinator can put together and I don't think we'll truly get a good look at that until the regular season. I want to see what kind of packages he can put together to get pressure, and I want to see if and how he's able to veil some of our personnel's deficiencies.

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm paradoxically mildly pleased that we took a good thumping this early in the preseason. Mistakes are an opportunity to learn and improve. The Saints gave our players and coaches some great film of our weaknesses, hopefully they can use that in the future to some benefit.

P.S. Please don't feed the troll, he's already hijacked one thread.

Wolf
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
I voted kinda .. mainly because at this time I don't know how frank bush will be as a DC.. because he is an unknown variable at the position so I don't know how things are going to go yet.

I think we do have some horses on the defensive side(for the most part) but just a wait and see on the scheme of things

jaayteetx
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Press the panic button....lol Houston we have a problem...lol Mike Bell...lol

Reggies backup...lol

lol...20 years before first winning season...lol 39 years before first playoff "w"...lol Aints...lol Reggie Bush running between the tackles....lol 23-10

Texecutioner
08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I wonder if the fans over on the Saints board are as infatuated and obsessed with Slaton as fans over here are about Reggie Bush?

Wolf
08-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I wonder if the fans over on the Saints board are as infatuated and obsessed with Slaton as fans over here are about Reggie Bush?

I don't think it has sunk into the minds of the Saint fans that Kim K isn't going to be in the stadium watching her EX ... they will miss her
:pirate:

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Nope

So do you have a Reggie Bush jersey? And his GQ magazine covers with all the pages stuck together and the lube? Have fun with your bandwagon hand parties rat

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
So do you have a Reggie Bush jersey? And his GQ magazine covers with all the pages stuck together and the lube? Have fun with your bandwagon hand parties rat

I heard Reggie signed one of his crutches for him........you know, Reggie's normal game day equipment.

SteveSlaton20
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
It's Preseason.

TEXANRED
08-23-2009, 07:07 PM
My only level of concern is that Demeco wants a raise as the Saints go marching in the middle of the field and run it in for a TD.

Ryans needs to have his man card taken from him after last night.

GP
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I voted NOT REALLY.

No injuries in a preseason game is the only objective right now.

We could get beat all four games, and I'd be OK with it as long as the 1's did a good job when they were in there. The other 75% of what happens in each preseason game is really just a glorified scrimmage in my opinion--Guys trying to get some playing time and make the roster.

If Keith Null gets cut by the Rams, he'd make a good backup QB alongside Orlovsky. We'd get him on the cheap, and the guy is tall and can hit WRs.

imatexan
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Are all these worried threads serious after 2 pre-season games, one we won and one we lost!
At times we looked good, at times we looked bad..this is going to happen during the pre-season.

The lions were undefeated last year in pre-season, come on people.

thunderkyss
08-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Are all these worried threads serious after 2 pre-season games, one we won and one we lost!
At times we looked good, at times we looked bad..this is going to happen during the pre-season.

The lions were undefeated last year in pre-season, come on people.

I don't think it's that we lost the game. But that we looked totally unprepared.

Think the Steelers game from last year. Think Raiders.....

I can understand if the Saints whipped us with a bunch of trick plays, but they just came at us straight up, with a make shift OL.

:polevault:

m5kwatts
08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I'll say this.... lets enjoy these weeks where horrible embarrassing losses like this can occur and by September 13th all of it can be erased and we reset to 0-0.

imatexan
08-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think it's that we lost the game. But that we looked totally unprepared.

Think the Steelers game from last year. Think Raiders.....

I can understand if the Saints whipped us with a bunch of trick plays, but they just came at us straight up, with a make shift OL.

:polevault:

I understand but a lot of that was put on our second/third string players.

I thought our starting offense looked great and defense was bad but had somme good sacks.

markn
08-24-2009, 12:14 AM
As horrible as it was, I voted 'kinda'... Last year we looked alright in preseason and then took the mother of all whuppings against the steelers.

Hopefully this was our steeler-esque wake-up call in an unimportant match-up - rather now than against the Jets.

/removes rose tinted glasses.

J. Sean Wonton
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I chose "very concerned". I'm not disheartened, but we have to make corrections. I'm talking about teams running up the middle on us. I'm not worried about our run game. In that area, I'd say it will work out, but stopping the run up the middle has been a problem for awhile, and the Saints made it look like we have had no improvement. I'm afraid that we don't have a correction. What could we realistically do to fix this problem before we play the Vikings?

barrett
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM

I somewhat agree. In the preseason I'll accept "unprepared" but where my "somewhat concerned" lies is in the fact that we looked physically unable, on the defensive side. We looked like we just didn't have enough good football players.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
"Kinda"

As others have stated, we were physically pushed around. Front 7 looked weak and the secondary was weak.

Cjeremy635
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, for those of you who say "it's only preseason, it's no big deal", Coach Kubiak doesn't feel the same way. His presser from the game recap doesn't have the tone that it isn't anything to not be concerned about. I don't know if it was posted or not, but here it is:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5491

A few things that stood out to me:

Kubiak: "Just talking about the game real quick, I was disappointed in our overall effort, as I told you all last night. New Orleans was much more physical than we were as a football team in all three phases. That was disappointing for me. We didn't stop the run and turned the ball over and those two things get you beat in this league week in and week out.

"Then, defensively it's just difficult to find any when somebody moves the ball like that on you. I will say this, I think (LB) DeMeco (Ryans), I'm impressed with how he looks right now, he looks like his old self from a couple years back as far as his legs and the way he's bouncing around. So I feel good about his direction and the camp he's having.

"Bottom line we weren't physical enough. We were very, very poor against the run. There were some missed assignments that also led to that. It's not the group that I've seen practice the last two weeks, so it's disappointing as we try to move forward here and move onto this week.

"We took a step back, I hate to say that because preseason is about stepping forward, but I got to be honest with our players and honest with myself. We took a step backward last night. It's disappointing but we've got to be able to rebound this week against, to me what I think is one of the best overall football teams in the league. Offensively, the way they can run the ball, the quarterbacks they have, with (QB) Brett (Favre) of course coming in here and then (QB) Sage (Rosenfels) on their team. Great players there.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I somewhat agree. In the preseason I'll accept "unprepared" but where my "somewhat concerned" lies is in the fact that we looked physically unable, on the defensive side. We looked like we just didn't have enough good football players.

"Kinda"

As others have stated, we were physically pushed around. Front 7 looked weak and the secondary was weak.

Sure, the defense was horrible, but let's not exclude our running game. Other than a couple decent runs by Slaton, it was very anemic as well.

I think Pitts should be back and as much as I hate to say it, we need Myers back in order to determine Studdard and White have been the turnstiles in the middle.

I was watching some of the Vikings game at lunch and came to the conclusion their 2nd team D was far better than our 1st. If we play like we did against the Saints in the trenches, it'll be even more embarrassing against the Vikes.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Sure, the defense was horrible, but let's not exclude our running game. Other than a couple decent runs by Slaton, it was very anemic as well.

I think Pitts should be back and as much as I hate to say it, we need Myers back in order to determine Studdard and White have been the turnstiles in the middle.

I was watching some of the Vikings game at lunch and came to the conclusion their 2nd team D was far better than our 1st. If we play like we did against the Saints in the trenches, it'll be even more embarrassing against the Vikes.

I knew what was wrong with the offense and that it's correctable; that's why my ire was towards the "d".

Double Barrel
08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
It's preseason. Wake me when it counts. :yawn:

JWarren14
08-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I am not too worried. Things I am worried about-

1. The run d - If we can't stop the run we will be in for a looong season. Our division is all about the run outside of the Colts and even they are going to run the ball more with Donald Brown sharing the load with Addai. Chris Johnson, Lendale White, and MJD will run at us alllll day if this becomes a constant problem. Is TJ missing that big of deal? Are we focusing too much on rushing the passer? Did we forget to tackle? Playoff teams can run the ball and stop the run.

2. The secondary - from the CBs to the Safeties we don't have anywhere close to elite talent. I know we are playing mostly rookies, but damn we gave up a TD to a guy who didnt have a defender within 15 yards of him. I think he came out of the backfield but still WTF? Is Dunta missing that big of a deal? Do we miss Reeves that much? I know rushing the passer is supposed to help a weak secondary, but you have to cover to give the dline sometime to work.

3. The RB depth - Chris Brown looked good in KC but did not impress me at all vs NO. Moats looks good, but if we lose Slaton for any length of time we will be in some trouble.

4. Lil Shanny/Frank Bush - One thing I noticed on the good D plays is we had multiple guys around the ball and there was a lot of gang tackling going on. I was excited for a change to the D coord, but NOLA exposed us. Lil Shanny has done OK, but I was really ticked off about some of the plays he called, most notably that bootleg when we were on the 2 yard line. Red-Zone struggles continue. Give it to your big play makers and let them work, dont roll out the QB and make him try and beat someone in space.

5. Not making the mothereffffffin playoffs this year!

Did anyone else catch they had Anthony Weaver's name when they were showing the starting defense? I am worried about A.Smith being an Anthony Weaver.

Speedy
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry, I just can't see anything that happens in the pre-season being any kind of indicator of what to expect in the regular season. I know it looked bad from the starters on down, but there were only 34 yards in the 1st half given up on the ground last week against KC, so what does that mean?

Sure, as a team you want to see a better performance, and with our history against the run, I can certainly understand the concern, but I'm not rushing to judgement because of a bad outing in a meaningless pre-season game.

I mean the Texans didn't fare too well rushing the ball in that game. Does that mean the Texans won't be able to run the ball this year? No.

Double Barrel
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
0-16 2008 Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the pre-season.

12-4 2006 Indianapolis Colts (Super Bowl champs) were 1-3 in pre-season.

Go figure.

Fox
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
0-16 2008 Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the pre-season.

12-4 2006 Indianapolis Colts (Super Bowl champs) were 1-3 in pre-season.

Go figure.

Anyone heard of stats for which teams won the first quarters of their preseason games and how that extrapolated to the regular season? Seeing as first quarters see the most starter play, I'd be interested to see if that drew any correlation to regular season success.

DocBar
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Well, I just watched most of the 1st half and am downgrading to somewhat concerned, but it's the preseason. To me, it looked like we just came out flat on D and got our ass handed to us. It was so bad I couldn't really tell who had busted plays. The thing that bothers me the most was all the trash talking guys were doing during practice (and fights) about the sAints not coming into "OUR HOUSE AND PUSHING US AROUND" then letting them come into our house and make it their own. That's pathetic and I put it squarely on the players. Well, Saturday nite, they were the Saints and we were the tExans. Looking forward to Monday night and a shot at redemption.

Goatcheese
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm very concerned, tipping toward extremely.

The running game is going nowhere; there simply aren't any holes. Slaton got nothing that he didn't produce for himself, and Brown went flat out nowhere. The passing attack looks like it will still be good, but if they can't get the running game sorted it will suffer also.

The defense was just ugly. How do we get blown off the ball on every snap? Our D-line weighs almost 1200 lbs, they shouldn't be getting pushed around, especially not our over-priced free agent. So far he looks like he's not going to be any better than Weaver, and may be weaker against the run.

DocBar
08-25-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm very concerned, tipping toward extremely.

The running game is going nowhere; there simply aren't any holes. Slaton got nothing that he didn't produce for himself, and Brown went flat out nowhere. The passing attack looks like it will still be good, but if they can't get the running game sorted it will suffer also.

The defense was just ugly. How do we get blown off the ball on every snap? Our D-line weighs almost 1200 lbs, they shouldn't be getting pushed around, especially not our over-priced free agent. So far he looks like he's not going to be any better than Weaver, and may be weaker against the run.

I rewatched the 1st half again, and it only got worse. I REALLY didn't think the D would play that badly twice in a row.LOL. The schemes looked OK. We had people in place to make plays, but the sAints OL just blasted them outta the way. THEY came to play football. WE...well, I don't know what WE came to do. It wasn't to play football on the D side of the ball. How much of it was lack of leadership and motivation from the coaches? I dunno, but I'm like a few other posters on here and feel it's a lack of leadership from the players side. I think they were just happy to get out of there uninjured. I'm a little worried because you play like you practice, and this was a practice game. Can they just "turn it on" come Sept. 13th? I don't think so. They need to turn it up several notches on Monday and play with the heart and aggressiveness we've been told to expect and they say they've needed for years. That can be done from vanilla packages. You don't have to show your whole playbook to play with urgency.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 10:19 AM
I re-watched the 1st half again last night as well. When does there come a time where players like D-Ryans and Mario confront players like Okoye who get taken completely out of a play without much resistance? Hell, what do the freakin coaches say when they see thar crap on film?

Personally, I don't care how young he is, there's no excuse for being pushed 10 yards the opposite direction of the play. On the TD run by Bell he was pushed 7-10 yards downfield and away from the play, which was directly over his position. Plus, there were several plays the Dline looked identical to last season. I didn't see any of this "more aggressive penetration", just more of the same 'stand up at the LOS to see which way the play's going'. Ugh! Sickening and aggravating!

BTW, Adibi was pancaked on the same play. Needless to day, with him on the ground and Okoye on his back 40 yards down field there was a hole larger than a semi. A couple missed tackles....bye, bye

When do players get in these players grill?!?

Vinny
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I re-watched the 1st half again last night as well. When does there come a time where players like D-Ryans and Mario confront players like Okoye who get taken completely out of a play without much resistance? Hell, what do the freakin coaches say when they see thar crap on film?

Personally, I don't care how young he is, there's no excuse for being pushed 10 yards the opposite direction of the play. On the TD run by Bell he was pushed 7-10 yards downfield and away from the play, which was directly over his position. Plus, there were several plays the Dline looked identical to last season. I didn't see any of this "more aggressive penetration", just more of the same 'stand up at the LOS to see which way the play's going'. Ugh! Sickening and aggravating!

BTW, Adibi was pancaked on the same play. Needless to day, with him on the ground and Okoye on his back 40 yards down field there was a hole larger than a semi. A couple missed tackles....bye, bye

When do players get in these players grill?!?
I've been rewatching casually this morning and I'm disgusted at the (in)ability to anchor. The downside to "lighter, quicker" players is getting pushed around and manhandled at times. Smaller quicker teams have to swarm, swarm, swarm but that's hard to do when you are on the ground or everyone is pushed ten yards to the left with equal ease.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I've been rewatching casually this morning and I'm disgusted at the (in)ability to anchor. The downside to "lighter, quicker" players is getting pushed around and manhandled at times. Smaller quicker teams have to swarm, swarm, swarm but that's hard to do when you are on the ground or everyone is pushed ten yards to the left with equal ease.

Yep, it almost seemed as if Okoye wasn't even trying. Like he was using the Saints Oline for body surfing, going wherever the wave took him.

DocBar
08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
I've been rewatching casually this morning and I'm disgusted at the (in)ability to anchor. The downside to "lighter, quicker" players is getting pushed around and manhandled at times. Smaller quicker teams have to swarm, swarm, swarm but that's hard to do when you are on the ground or everyone is pushed ten yards to the left with equal ease.That's a good point. We're kinda living by the sword and dying by the sword with our D. Kollar even states that. I think we, as fans, can live with giving up the occassional big play for a generally stouter D. What we witnessed Saturday night was the opposite.

Livid13
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Be reasonable

Post of the thread......and I didn't even read the rest.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM

We experience moments absolutely free from worry. These brief respites are called panic. ~Cullen Hightower