PDA

View Full Version : Texans-Saints Post Game Thoughts

Fox
08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Overall butt-kicking by the Saints, they look great - best of luck to them this year.

Individual performances:
- Positives -
- Defense -
Mario got after the QB.
Okoye was spotted applying some semblance of pressure once or twice.
Nading played well vs. scrubs, not so well vs. first teamers.
Jamison played well vs scrubs.
Barwin continues to impress, he provides consistent energy and pass rush.
McCain appeared to provide tight coverage when I was able to see him.
Adibi laid a huge hit on Henderson.

- Offense -
AJ's still a beast.
Slaton made productive runs off of less than optimal blocking.
Schaub's throws were mostly well-placed, just too often short of the marker.
David Anderson continues to be a reliable 4th WR who exceeds expectations.
Dreesen does a great Owen Daniels impression, very authentic.
Andre Davis burned #1 draft pick Jenkins for a TD.

I'm giving Orlovsky an overall positive review for his 2nd preseason game. It's obviously up for debate. Did he look better than Sage? No. However, his throws were strong and mostly on target and he was decisive in the pocket. His INT was a horrible decision more than a bad throw. His goal line sack I don't really put on his shoulders, Casey was open but he had the defender on him before he had any chance to **** his arm and throw. I think with time in the system Orlovsky can be a good back-up QB.

- Negatives -
- Defense -
Okam and Okoye gave no push on run downs and gave up some huge runs. This doesn't bode well.
Our LB's as a group appeared to over pursue and/or get sealed off on big runs.
Glover Quin had plenty of tackles - because he gave up plenty of easy catches. He wasn't able to provide tight coverage on the plays I watched him.
Fred Bennett doesn't appear to have good recovery speed, once he bites on a move someone else has to make the tackle. Didn't look good to me tonight.
Busing had some good pass rushes, but as a safety he gave up multiple huge runs to the outside to the Saints 4th teamers. Consecutive plays went wide right for TD's (first was brought back for a hold, but Busing missed the tackle 1 on 1). I like his size and aggression, just don't think he was a very good last line of defense.... which isn't a good thing for a safety.

- Offense -
Arian Foster looked like 'just a guy'.
Chris Brown followed up an awesome game 1 performance with a dismal week 2 performance, although he had no holes whatsoever.
Duane Brown looked o.k. in pass pro but did his best to kill some drives with penalties.
Brink sucks.
Casey made a nice grab or two, he also had a drop and gave away a pick. Not going to be too rough on him, the Saints already did that for me.

- First team overall impression -
- Offense -
Our OL got man-handled in the run game, it took quick decisive running by Slaton to make anything out of it. The Saints dominated the LOS and our offense sputtered without a run game to move the chains.

- Defense -
Our DL, particularly the tackles, got pushed around by the Saints interior lineman, and our linebackers were rendered ineffective without good play up front. Our secondary just looked average to me. The Saints are the best offense in the league, so I'm not horribly disappointed, but at the same time I didn't want to see Mike Bell walking all over us. I expect our secondary to struggle at times this year, but if our front seven struggles to stop the run as well we're going to have problems.

V3rm0nt3r
08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
i for one am willing to let Brink slide this game. how long has he been in camp? a week? still a better option than Grossman in my opinion.

m5kwatts
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Jacoby should be added as a positive on offense as well as Glenn Martinez. Both guys ran several different routes and made tough catches.

Fox
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
i for one am willing to let Brink slide this game. how long has he been in camp? a week? still a better option than Grossman in my opinion.

Valid point. Should've said 'sucked.'

Jacoby should be added as a positive on offense as well as Glenn Martinez. Both guys ran several different routes and made tough catches.

I'm with you on Martinez. Jacoby made a great outstretched catch, but he also had a penalty that again demonstrated a lack of concentration, I was indifferent on his performance.

b0ng
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Preseason game #2, I think the game would've been more much interesting if this were a regular season game. Again, our 1's I didn't think look too badly. The run defense left A LOT to be desired, but overall I'm not that worried about the defense. It was very hard to watch that whole game but I'm not too worried how badly our guys got beaten once the half happened.

The Vikings will be a great test for our O and our D, but again it's preseason so no telling what can happen.

Work that DL this week Kollar, the middle guys were getting beaten consistently in the run game and that's your department.

Big Poundcake
08-22-2009, 11:32 PM
How did OG Kasey Studdard look?

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Preseason game #2, I think the game would've been more much interesting if this were a regular season game. Again, our 1's I didn't think look too badly. The run defense left A LOT to be desired, but overall I'm not that worried about the defense. It was very hard to watch that whole game but I'm not too worried how badly our guys got beaten once the half happened.

Seriously.......

Bell had 100 yards on 10 carries before halftime. The starting defense was just as bad as the reserves...actually we didn't start pressuring the QB until the reserves came in.

Jackie Chiles
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Didn't watch him specifically but we didn't get much push, especially up the middle, on running plays. Pass protection looked fine to me pretty much all around.

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Like a backup/fringe player. I can't wait until Pitts gets back, I love the effort of Studdard, but I don't think he's a legit NFL lineman.

b0ng
08-22-2009, 11:38 PM

I thought he played well in the first quarter.

dalemurphy
08-22-2009, 11:44 PM

I'll put it this way, Studdard and Okoye would be a fair fight! that's how bad Studdard looked.

dalemurphy
08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Amobi Okoye has absolutely no business playing football on run downs. Perhaps he could be effective rushing the passer, but I will be extremely dissapointed with this coaching staff if he's not immediately replaced as a starter by either Cody, or TJ (that's right, he made me miss TJ tonight) when he gets healthy.

Okoye was the epicenter for basically every good run the Saints had tonight. Other than Okoye, I was unhappy with the secondary's tackling as well as the LBs filling and containing on some of the zone runs. Pretty sad effort in the run game tonight! I'm very close to getting some pink soap with Amobi printed on it.

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Amobi Okoye has absolutely no business playing football on run downs. Perhaps he could be effective rushing the passer, but I will be extremely dissapointed with this coaching staff if he's not immediately replaced as a starter by either Cody, or TJ (that's right, he made me miss TJ tonight) when he gets healthy.

Okoye was the epicenter for basically every good run the Saints had tonight. Other than Okoye, I was unhappy with the secondary's tackling as well as the LBs filling and containing on some of the zone runs. Pretty sad effort in the run game tonight! I'm very close to getting some pink soap with Amobi printed on it.

Yeah as much as I'm disapointed with T.J., Amobi is just as bad right now.....His occasional pass rush isn't worth all the times he's blown completely off the field on running plays. Amobi is simply a tweener right now, too big to beat tackles around the corner....too small to hold up at the POA against guards.

Another guy who isn't showing me much of anything is sadly.....Antonio Smith. He didn't do crap against the run either. I hope he won't be added to the long list of FA wash outs.

Wolf
08-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I didn't get to see the game I was out and about

but from what I can tell CONSISTENCY is what the Texans are still missing

and that is what we should look at during preseason and I am guessing (by the posts) is NOT happening

texanhead08
08-22-2009, 11:59 PM
The biggest improvment on offense will come once they are healthy again. The defense has to be better against the run or teams like the Tacks and Jags will kill us and control the clock and I don't want to have to go against the Tacks defense in catch up mode. I am willing to cut them slack just because they are still learning the new defense but I would like to see them play better against the Vikes and if they don't their run defense will look worse next week that it did tonite.

dalemurphy
08-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah as much as I'm disapointed with T.J., Amobi is just as bad right now.....His occasional pass rush isn't worth all the times he's blown completely off the field on running plays. Amobi is simply a tweener right now, too big to beat tackles around the corner....too small to hold up at the POA against guards.

Another guy who isn't showing me much of anything is sadly.....Antonio Smith. He didn't do crap against the run either. I hope he won't be added to the long list of FA wash outs.

I was actually encouraged by A.Smith's play. He and Mario were collapsing the edges quite a bit. I think he over-pursued on a run but I don't recall seeing him driven off the ball.

I really developing a dislike for Okoye. On chron.com/sports, there is a little video of Okoye talking about the Defenses performance. He's not sure what went wrong. He says that you don't know anything until you look at the tape. Apparently, he's not aware that going on a piggy-back ride with saints olmen has a detrimental affect on their ability to stop the run. And this guy supposedly graduated with honors 2 years early? Hmm...

Showtime100
08-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Fred Bennett doesn't appear to have good recovery speed, once he bites on a move someone else has to make the tackle. Didn't look good to me tonight.

Maybe it's just me, but I would have worded that a little stronger. The Saints knew it too.

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 12:12 AM
I was actually encouraged by A.Smith's play. He and Mario were collapsing the edges quite a bit. I think he over-pursued on a run but I don't recall seeing him driven off the ball.

I really developing a dislike for Okoye. On chron.com/sports, there is a little video of Okoye talking about the Defenses performance. He's not sure what went wrong. He says that you don't know anything until you look at the tape. Apparently, he's not aware that going on a piggy-back ride with saints olmen has a detrimental affect on their ability to stop the run. And this guy supposedly graduated with honors 2 years early? Hmm...

Antonio Smith didn't have one single tackle tonight, for a guy who's billed as a run stopping DE, that's not good. This is the second game where he hasn't really been a factor....atleast not for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong I loved the hussle to pick up the loose ball that got turned over.

Norg
08-23-2009, 12:13 AM
yeah TBO i missed Travis johnson today has well there is no Way TJ would let people run on him like we seen today

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I would have worded that a little stronger. The Saints knew it too.

Bennett's problem is he bites on just about every move under the sun....also his hips aren't too hot for a CB.

Jackie Chiles
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM

Just saw this interview as well, I know its preseason but he didn't seem to realize how bad the DT play was today. At the end Anna Megan actually got him to smile while talking about that "almost sack" that he had. WTF? Not going to be anyone to sack if we play from behind and get gashed in the running game all day. Remember last year when he predicted what, 10 or 20 sacks or something? Forget the damn sacks Amobi.

b0ng
08-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Okay you can call me an apologist or an over optimistic or whatever, but I'm fairly indifferent right now.

Were the players giving 100% effort? Oh absolutely not and that's a problem that is on Kubiak's ability to motivate the players for a preseason game. Something which could quite easily carry over into the regular season.

But for the most part I'm calmed down after the loss (made a few choice posts on some sites here and there) and in the end, the ball is in the coaches court again. They need to make the players motivated to get out there and play with max effort on every play. Vs the Chiefs last week, we looked just plain hungrier, we hustled, made plays and did lots of good things. This week we were flat, unmotivated, and showed none of the hustle they showed in the previous game. The Saints are definitely not the Chiefs, but overall I believe in this staff of young coaches. I try not to get too high or too low after a game in the preseason because it is what it is. A slight indication of what is coming, but what you see is almost never what you get.

I'd say that if the coaches were doing a lot of experimenting and evaluating for this game, then I hope they got plenty of film on what doesn't work, because there will be a ton of it.

michaelm
08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I didn't even bother to read this thread, unfortunately.
I do apologize to the OP.
The reason I didn't read any of it, is because I'm sure there are some posts within that grasp at some optimistic view of the game.
Sorry fellas, there is no optimism to be found in that game.
That was literally one of most lackluster, identity lacking, sorry ass excuses for a game that I've seen in a while.
If you're looking for positives in that performance, you need to re-evaluate your expectations, because your expectations are very low.
I want more.
I expect more.
I deserve more.
And I ****ing demand more.

Buffi2
08-23-2009, 01:02 AM
I am really disappointed in the defense. If they don't step up fast, our winning season hopes will be gone by week 8. NO ran all over our defense and we couldn't seem to stop them. The goal line stand was excellent but that was the only laudable series I saw - some of that could be attributed to crowd noise.

And the penalties - what's with that? I know it is preseason but that is just sloppy football and should be stopped.

Amobi needs to get with the program. He looked like he was just watching the game go by him - oh, wait - the running backs did with ease.

It really looked like the defense was lost from the beginning and never found themselves.

Minnesota is capable of using the Texans as mops Monday Night. I certainly hope this game serves as a wake up call and the Texans come back Monday and play some serious football.

As to Orlovsky, he looked better tonight than last week, but if Schaub goes down - we are in deep dirty diapers.

For me, this was a painful game to watch.

Brisco_County
08-23-2009, 01:33 AM
The only thing I can compare this game to is the season opener last year against the Steelers. Willie Parker ran it down our throats on every play. I felt that if that game had happened at the end of the season, there would've been a different outcome.

So maybe we needed to get this game out of the way before we are ready for the regular season. Maybe some old habits in the front seven are just now surfacing, and Bush and Kollar haven't had a chance to address them. Or maybe Bush needs a little more experience as defensive coordinator.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing away all indications that we're in for another mediocre to sub-par season. But judging by the schizophrenic week-to-week record of this team, history shows that the odds are in our favor next week.

Porky
08-23-2009, 06:13 AM
My general thoughts -

On O, we are in deep doo doo if Schaub misses any extended time. He better play 14 plus full games or we can kiss a winning season goodbye. Dan O is a not ready for prime time player. Sure I can see he has some tools and good physical ability, but he looks raw all the way around. At this stage of the teams development, I would feel better with a real veteren journeyman, a John Kitna type of player who has been around the block, is smart and who isn't going to continually make bone headed decisions ala Dan O. I think in hindsight, this staff may have made a serious error with their backup QB and it may be this teams undoing.

The line blocking in the run game was subpar all across the line to me. A few times, Slaton made lemonade out of lemons, but come on guys this isn't 2002 all over again. And it ain't like the Aints D is all that and a bag of chips. It's no wonder every back looked like a spam sandwich. The pass blocking was pretty good in their defense.

On D - Wow. Just wow. I think I just saw Mike Bell fly by my window at 6am. He still hasn't been caught. Mike freaking Bell? Hell, a door Bell could have run thru this D like a hot knife thru butter. Three most dissapointing guys to me were Okoye, Okam and Bennett. Okoye looks like he just bought a one way ticket to Bustville. No deposit, no return. Sure, a play or two he provided a nice rush, but as an every down player I am quickly losing faith. Okam wasn't much better a week after a breakout performance. He simply disapeared. I think I just saw Okam's picture on a milk carton at the store. And Bennett? Man, that guy was toasted more times than the brides at the Rev. Sun Myung Moon group wedding. He looked lost, bit on every fake the WR offered and was out of position, slow and just awful. He looked like a UDFA that was being given a courtesy look and is going to be cut, not a guy that was a starter. TERRIBLE performance by Bennett and just overall by the D. Very disapointing one week after an encourging performance.

DavidC
08-23-2009, 08:21 AM
What happened to the Under defense that we were going to start seeing? I noticed them lineup once in what appeared to be an Under, and that was the play Mike Bell burned us for the long TD. Other than that, I didn't really notice it at all. Maybe when Cushing comes back?

Okam and Okoye were stood up and taken out of the play repeatedly. Okam claims he is neck and neck with Mario for being the strongest guy on the team, but he couldn't get any kind of push against the Saints line. Okoye does not seem to be strong enough to play DT, he is somewhat quick, but that does not get it done on the inside of the line.

I was excited about the blitz at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, they brought just about everyone, and Okoye forced a bad pass by Brees. Hope to see more of that in the future.

Mario, Smith, and Barwin had their fair share of plays. Most of the runs went up the middle, so it is hard for me to fault Smith and Williams on those, and they did have some good moments of pressure. Mario should have gotten credit for the sack, and Smith would have had the FR. Barwin needs to be on the field more, his athleticism was a constant problem for the Saints whenever he was in the game.

I am not really concerned about the final score of this game. When the 1's stopped playing it was 14-7, which is hardly anything to be too worried about. Overall I was pleased with the offense, Slaton ran well, and Schaub seemed to be playing within himself and not trying to force things. The defense has some work to do, but they were also missing 4 starters, which could make a huge difference.

I am excited about the upcoming Vikings game. Hopefully they will work on the run defense with Peterson coming to town, and I would really like to see Cushing on the field this week.

HTown2ATX
08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
dissapointed, lack of effort, dismal, hapless, embarressed, weak, crappy, non-playoffesque performance, burnt toast, swiss cheese, lay down, sucked b@ll$...... that about sums up what I saw from the 1st team except for one drive on offense. I think anything else is candy coating it and I no longer am willing to accept mediocrity!

:bat:

Houston_Fanatic
08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
If Kubiak can't do a better job getting his team prepared to make a playoff run, then maybe WE should be one of the teams considering Mike Shanahan for next year :yikes:

Big Lou
08-23-2009, 10:09 AM
It is preseason and week 2, but sure would like to have seen something to get fired up about.

Offensive Line: At least we know there will be improvement when Pitts, and Myers return.

Rush Defense: Hopefully Cushings, and D Rob help this issue, although it seems to be the D Line more than the front 7 overall.

On the flip side injuries are part of football, and everyone has them. Hopefully the vanilla scheme/play calling is part of the problem......

TheRealJoker
08-23-2009, 10:51 AM
The refs sure were flag happy this game. Its preseason they just need to let the guys play sometimes and let some penalties go. We cant have so many turnovers and expect to win. The Saints took advantage of our penalties and turnovers, we didn't take advantage of their mistakes.

I was surprised to see us get physically manhandled by a team that I thought we outmatched in that regard even if it is preseason.

I hope the team uses this as a wakeup call and treats this loss as if it happened in regular season. Excuses are counterproductive and we need to just realize we got embarrassed in our home opener. The team needs to have the attitude that this is the last time we get embarrassed this season.

gary
08-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Fred Bennet was picked all game long as was the rest of secondary. While I agree that this team has hidden talent that isn't being used not so much though in the secondary. All three Saints QB's pretty much had a field day last night. The first team DL did a good job of getting to the QB early on with Mario and Smith but that's about it. The rest of the DL sucked untill Barwin got one sack in the game so good for him. The O after that first drive was not even a threat. Who the hell drafted Brink? That guy throwing a football around is the biggest laughing stock that I have ever seen. The Texans do not have a hard noised leader on the team and they need one. It's back to having no run stopper up the middle Okam was not seen on my T.V. screen much last night.

TheRealJoker
08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Steve Slaton is a heck of a player. He made yards when nothing was there and as Spencer Tillman pointed out, he fixed his mistake in pass protection that allowed the Chiefs to sack Schaub last week and made a block on a similar play this week.

When Brown came in he couldn't make those yards with the same blocking. This season Brown is gonna be a good short yardage back if healthy but between the 20s is Slaton's domain (and maybe Moats can get a carry or two to give Slaton a breather every now and then).

The blocking should be improved once Pitts and Myers return to the lineup. Caldwell will eventually be our best center but Kubiak is going to give him time to learn the offense because Myers gives us that luxury.

When the starting OL is back Slaton will be running wild!!!

gary
08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
As fans we all better hope the first team O stays healthy because if they don't look out.

Maddict5
08-23-2009, 12:29 PM
And just think yall gave us Reggie and Bell thanks houston...lol

lol is right because everyone here is sorrier about giving you bell after one preseason game than about reggie after 3 yrs. says it all really. for NO's sake, it might be better for their chances if reggie stays on this chronic injury proneness hes currently enjoying:smooch:

Maddict5
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
if anybody has the stomach id really appreciate it if somebody analysed the terrible 1st team run defence- namely who the 2 DT's were on each play (that gashed us up the middle), who was the worst/best at the POA, who got double-teamed/matched up v evans etc

TheRealJoker
08-23-2009, 12:34 PM
if anybody has the stomach id really appreciate it if somebody analysed the terrible 1st team run defence- namely who the 2 DT's were on each play (that gashed us up the middle), who was the worst/best at the POA, who got double-teamed/matched up v evans etc

I was at Reliant for the game but I just rewatched the starters on DVR. The main problem was the DT play. Okam was the starter at NT for this game alongside Amobi. Okoye just got blown off the LOS too many times, Okam didn't get manhandled but he made poor decisions that allowed the Saints to take advantage with cutbacks.

Okam's problem can be fixed with playing time and coaching. I'm afraid Okoye's needs to be fixed in the weight room, although Kollar can help by continuing to coach him on using his hands and getting his pads under the guard. We're probably gonna see Okam and Deljuan on running downs this season if Okoye keeps getting blown off the LOS, it certainly doesn't help Okoye's case for being drafted # 10 overall.

A secondary problem (literally) is that our secondary, mainly Fred Bennett, were trying to arm tackle way too much. This problem should be rectified when Dunta and Reeves return to the lineup but that doesn't solve the main problem which is that we're still pretty soft up the middle as long as Okoye is starting.

All in all, after watching the film i'm not as concerned as I was at the game. The corner's arm tackling will not be a big deal when Dunta and Reeves are back in the fold. Okam can be coached up, but Amobi is best used as a pass rushing DT at this stage of his career. We'd be best served going with Deljuan and Okam as the starting DTs for the season but I doubt we'll do that because of Amobi's paygrade.

b0ng
08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I was at Reliant for the game but I just rewatched the starters on DVR. The main problem was the DT play. Okam was the starter at NT for this game alongside Amobi. Okoye just got blown off the LOS too many times, Okam didn't get manhandled but he made poor decisions that allowed the Saints to take advantage with cutbacks.

Okam's problem can be fixed with playing time and coaching. I'm afraid Okoye's needs to be fixed in the weight room, although Kollar can help by continuing to coach him on using his hands and getting his pads under the guard. We're probably gonna see Okam and Deljuan on running downs this season if Okoye keeps getting blown off the LOS, it certainly doesn't help Okoye's case for being drafted # 10 overall.

A secondary problem (literally) is that our secondary, mainly Fred Bennett, were trying to arm tackle way too much. This problem should be rectified when Dunta and Reeves return to the lineup but that doesn't solve the main problem which is that we're still pretty soft up the middle as long as Okoye is starting.

All in all, after watching the film i'm not as concerned as I was at the game. The corner's arm tackling will not be a big deal when Dunta and Reeves are back in the fold. Okam can be coached up, but Amobi is best used as a pass rushing DT at this stage of his career. We'd be best served going with Deljuan and Okam as the starting DTs for the season but I doubt we'll do that because of Amobi's paygrade.

I have a feeling that if Okoye isn't in the DT (not NT) spot on a play, that TJ will be taking his spot. Robinson looks like a pretty good NT and I think Okam is going to need some work but can serve as a rotation guy unless he proves he needs to start for the betterment of the team.

TJ being hurt really makes it tough to evaluate, but I have a feeling that even with the missed time he's going to try to play his heart out (contract year and all).

gary
08-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Dunte is going to be a boost when he comes back for sure but if Reevs has not lerned to turn his head around and look for the football then one filled CB spot is not going to make the secondary that much better.

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Antonio Smith didn't have one single tackle tonight, for a guy who's billed as a run stopping DE, that's not good. This is the second game where he hasn't really been a factor....atleast not for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong I loved the hussle to pick up the loose ball that got turned over.

I thought he should have gotten credit for at least one tackle.

Runner
08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Many posters don't understand how I can do anything less than condemn a "spoiled player" who holds out for a better contract. I'm perceived as someone who thinks the players can do no wrong.

Well, I think it's wrong when players take their checks and put little effort into improving during the off-season or performing during the pre-season. That lackadaisical attitude never fails to pop up again in a few regular season games. It's been part of the Texans corporate culture since day one.

They sure do sound good when they talk about a playoff run though.

gary
08-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought he should have gotten credit for at least one tackle.I went ahead and gave him some credit.

thunderkyss
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Offensive Line: At least we know there will be improvement when Pitts, and Myers return.

I obviously have no say in what will happen, and what will not. But seeing Caldwell & White at center, i wonder why we're wasting out time with White. Caldwell needs to be getting as many snaps at center as possible, in the event Myers don't make it all season. A lot of people are fully aware of how our season will end up, if Schaub can't make 13+ games. It will be worse, if Myers can't do the same.

I'd also bump Studdard down a notch, I don't know who we'll put in his spot. But we can't get much worse.

TimeKiller
08-23-2009, 02:56 PM
My impressions:

The OL sorely misses Pitts and yes, Myers. Studdard is clearly undersized, his only use is to be in the way of a pass rusher. No running lanes were open all night.

Slaton looks like he needs some help from his big guys. Brown looked slow and wasn't getting much help either but he isn't shifty enough to find the yardage anyway like Slaton.

The receivers looked strong. No surprise there. Schaub looks like he's ready to meet some expectations. Thought Jacoby had a decent game, Anderson too.

DL looked weak inside. I think it may be time to move Okoye out of the starting role and into something he can handle. I don't know who fills in for him but geez he just isn't getting it. Unless it is getting blown up on running plays. Robinson maybe? TJ? Cody? Bulman even maybe-er? Okam didn't have a repeat performance. Seems like being 6'5''330 would make it easy to not get manhandled but I guess it doesn't really matter...

Adibi looked good and really put it to that one receiver! Can't wait to see the big guy next Monday though. If Cush brings the pain maybe the DT play won't be so overwhelmingly bad. Or maybe he can just cover it up a little...

Secondary......I'll just say it'll be nice to have at least ONE player if/when he comes back....23!!!

I know coaches aren't opening up their bag of tricks for 'meaningless preseason games' but some of the play calling just seemed bizarre.

gary
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Teams who rely more on the passing game to open up their running game really scare me as well they should.

TexansSeminole
08-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Run defense was obviously our big flaw in this game. Early on DeMeco was actually the one that looked to be overpursuing. I say looked because I don't know exactly how he is being coached. Okoye is just simply not pushing the offensive line at all. He doesn't even move his feet. He is simply putting his hands on the offensive lineman and taking steps back. Run defense starts with your DTs and your MLB. This was probably DeMecos worst performance I have ever seen of him, and as someone said earlier I am really starting to dislike Okoye.

Overall this game wasn't as terrible as people are making it out to be. It was a one posession game by the time the starters were out. Our starting O didn't even get a chance to answer when the Saints broke the big run to make it 14-7.

It always amazes me how many people jump off the bridge at the first hint at trouble.

My guess is that we will see a very fired up DeMeco against the Vikes. He strikes me as a guy who is very honest with himself and doesn't accept the kind of lackluster performance he had against the Saints. I also assume that either a) Okoye will get his ass chewed out until he understands wtf is happening, b) Okoye will be benched, or c) both.

Brisco_County
08-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Run defense was obviously our big flaw in this game. Early on DeMeco was actually the one that looked to be overpursuing. I say looked because I don't know exactly how he is being coached. Okoye is just simply not pushing the offensive line at all. He doesn't even move his feet. He is simply putting his hands on the offensive lineman and taking steps back. Run defense starts with your DTs and your MLB. This was probably DeMecos worst performance I have ever seen of him, and as someone said earlier I am really starting to dislike Okoye.

Overall this game wasn't as terrible as people are making it out to be. It was a one posession game by the time the starters were out. Our starting O didn't even get a chance to answer when the Saints broke the big run to make it 14-7.

It always amazes me how many people jump off the bridge at the first hint at trouble.

My guess is that we will see a very fired up DeMeco against the Vikes. He strikes me as a guy who is very honest with himself and doesn't accept the kind of lackluster performance he had against the Saints. I also assume that either a) Okoye will get his ass chewed out until he understands wtf is happening, b) Okoye will be benched, or c) both.

I'm guessing that this will be Okoye's last year to prove himself. TJ will have only a few games to do the same. I'm already looking up top rated senior DT's for 2010.

Someone mentioned in the Okam thread that ball awareness was his main problem in the Saints game, but that doesn't explain how he got pushed around.

jppaul
08-24-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm guessing that this will be Okoye's last year to prove himself. TJ will have only a few games to do the same. I'm already looking up top rated senior DT's for 2010.

Someone mentioned in the Okam thread that ball awareness was his main problem in the Saints game, but that doesn't explain how he got pushed around.

Yes, lets draft another DT, we have been so successful in this area. Maybe another avenue of acquisition should be considered.

jppaul
08-24-2009, 02:24 AM
My impressions:

Okam didn't have a repeat performance. Seems like being 6'5''330 would make it easy to not get manhandled but I guess it doesn't really matter...

I thought Okam really pushed the pocket on a lot of pass plays, and on run plays from what I saw he was double teamed. When your running mate at DT is just terrible like Okoye, you are going to look bad even if you did your part.

IMO, Okam did alright Okoye was freakin awful.

nunusguy
08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
For all you guys who wanted Richard Smiths head, here's my question - do you now understand that the problem wasn't with our former DC, it was with the talent (or lack thereof), he had on his defense ? And whatever schemes Frank Bush uses, he's gonna have the same problem that Smith had so just remember that before you start calling for his head.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM
For all you guys who wanted Richard Smiths head, here's my question - do you now understand that the problem wasn't with our former DC, it was with the talent (or lack thereof), he had on his defense ? And whatever schemes Frank Bush uses, he's gonna have the same problem that Smith had so just remember that before you start calling for his head.

I'm not ready to have that full on conversation just yet, but I will say this; this defense has way more problems than just making #23 happy.

Think about it, we were out physicalled on both sides of the ball by a team not known to be physical.

:raises red flag:

Cjeremy635
08-24-2009, 08:10 AM
My post game thoughts were that Bill and Joe Texan got way too much TV air time. I must have seen you guys atleast 3 times during the game. I saw Joe Texan screaming and drinking and I saw Bill just standing and drinking with a couple of other people, one of them I recognized from the chili cook off. (guy with some tatoos....Andrew?)

Runner
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM

So where does the problem lie? What is the proper mix:

Rick Smith and the coaches are responsible for identifying and acquiring the talent.

The players are responsible for being ready to play, both for the season and for each game.

The coaches are responsible to set up the O and the D to maximize the return on the talent available.

The coaches should have the players prepared for each game and opponent.

=======

Or the defense is just fine and will be significantly better this season.

drewmar74
08-24-2009, 08:47 AM
My post game thoughts were that Bill and Joe Texan got way too much TV air time. I must have seen you guys atleast 3 times during the game. I saw Joe Texan screaming and drinking and I saw Bill just standing and drinking with a couple of other people, one of them I recognized from the chili cook off. (guy with some tatoos....Andrew?)

Agreed. I've never even met Texan Bill or Joe Texan but I recognized them both. They left TB up on the screen for a good 15-20 seconds at the end of the third quarter. I blurted out "Hey, its Texan Bill!"

Sadly, that was the highlight of the second half.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Rick Smith and the coaches are responsible for identifying and acquiring the talent.

The players are responsible for being ready to play, both for the season and for each game.

The coaches are responsible to set up the O and the D to maximize the return on the talent available.

=======

I get the sinking feeling that the Texans need one of those gravy on everything eating DT's who may not look pretty but are highly effective . I'm not ready to write Amobi , TJ or Okam off but I'd take Deljuan a FA before those two because Deljuan wants it more .

Wanted ... gravy on eveything eating DT , who is 6'4 340 , fairly agile , nasty , and knows if he can stop the run , he can feed his family well for years . This guy is a man John Madden would love because he's big sloppy and good . Heck John would give a turducken to our guy and our man would eat the whole thing with ... you got it ... gravy . His heroes are Gilbert Brown , Casey Hampton , Shaun Rogers , Grady Jackson , Tony Siragusa , Dave Butz , Larry Holmes , and Jamaal Williams .

http://prod.static.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/fans/largea05.jpg

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
My post-game thoughts - We sucked in all 3 phases of the game.

The freakin Saints backup RB's hang 173 yards 6.4 per carry rushing on us!

We run for 70 yards with a 2.8 avg

Shitty return game to go with a shitty punt coverage

Vinny
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Antonio Smith didn't have one single tackle tonight, for a guy who's billed as a run stopping DE, that's not good. This is the second game where he hasn't really been a factor....atleast not for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong I loved the hussle to pick up the loose ball that got turned over.When Smith and Okoye were in the game together the line was particularly awful vs the run. Neither guy can deal with NFL Guards in short space apparently.

Okam and Okoye were stood up and taken out of the play repeatedly. Okam claims he is neck and neck with Mario for being the strongest guy on the team, but he couldn't get any kind of push against the Saints line. Okoye does not seem to be strong enough to play DT, he is somewhat quick, but that does not get it done on the inside of the line.

I was excited about the blitz at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, they brought just about everyone, and Okoye forced a bad pass by Brees. Hope to see more of that in the future. Okoye may have big totals for a bench or on certain lifts but he doesn't have functional football strength. I've seen him set up his man on the right and try to move him with a quick under move inside and Okoye isn't able to budge NFL Guards. I've been calling him lawnmower man to my buddies. He's easier to push around than my honda mower.

It always amazes me how many people jump off the bridge at the first hint at trouble. To watch a finesse offense manhandle your "new and improved defense" is a cause for concern. The Saints Guards looked like NFL players and our tackles looked like Arena league chumps.

For all you guys who wanted Richard Smiths head, here's my question - do you now understand that the problem wasn't with our former DC, it was with the talent (or lack thereof), he had on his defense ? And whatever schemes Frank Bush uses, he's gonna have the same problem that Smith had so just remember that before you start calling for his head. This staff has been given the type of players it has wanted, and these lighter quicker players are getting beat physically. If Bush fails with these guys he is failing with the type of player he wanted, so I have a hard time cutting them slack if they fail. It's been long enough to turn this team around. Other Coaches can do it in two years. Why must it take half a decade or more here?

dalemurphy
08-24-2009, 11:36 AM
When Smith and Okoye were in the game together the line was particularly awful vs the run. Neither guy can deal with NFL Guards in short space apparently.

Okoye may have big totals for a bench or on certain lifts but he doesn't have functional football strength. I've seen him set up his man on the right and try to move him with a quick under move inside and Okoye isn't able to budge NFL Guards. I've been calling him lawnmower man to my buddies. He's easier to push around than my honda mower.

To watch a finesse offense manhandle your "new and improved defense" is a cause for concern. The Saints Guards looked like NFL players and our tackles looked like Arena league chumps.

This staff has been given the type of players it has wanted, and these lighter quicker players are getting beat physically. If Bush fails with these guys he is failing with the type of player he wanted, so I have a hard time cutting them slack if they fail. It's been long enough to turn this team around. Other Coaches can do it in two years. Why must it take half a decade or more here?

I'm a big believer and defender of Kubiak. However, a few things have always bothered me... I think his talent evaluation of his players is suspect. His fascination with Kasey Studdard is a prime example. He's actually talking about him as a starter? Are you kidding me!

Clearly, Amobi Okoye has no business in the game on any run downs. I'm going to lose faith in Kubiak and his staff if Okoye is getting starter snaps when the season starts. Clearly, some combination of Robinson, Cody, and TJ (that's right, I said it) should be on the field on 1st down or on short yardage.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm a big believer and defender of Kubiak. However, a few things have always bothered me... I think his talent evaluation of his players is suspect. His fascination with Kasey Studdard is a prime example. He's actually talking about him as a starter? Are you kidding me!

Clearly, Amobi Okoye has no business in the game on any run downs. I'm going to lose faith in Kubiak and his staff if Okoye is getting starter snaps when the season starts. Clearly, some combination of Robinson, Cody, and TJ (that's right, I said it) should be on the field on 1st down or on short yardage.

Studdard and Okoye ... ones a brawler without much talent and the other might have some talent but isn't much of a brawler .

Fox
08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Clearly, some combination of Robinson, Cody, and TJ (that's right, I said it) should be on the field on 1st down or on short yardage.

This. I'd toss Okam into that mix depending on how he does the next couple weeks. If Okoye is still getting starter snaps in the regular season and we're still giving up huge runs up the middle this staff needs to get their head examined. If I'm Kubiak I'm not willing to risk my job in order to help save face on an ex-1st rounder.

dalemurphy
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
This. I'd toss Okam into that mix depending on how he does the next couple weeks. If Okoye is still getting starter snaps in the regular season and we're still giving up huge runs up the middle this staff needs to get their head examined. If I'm Kubiak I'm not willing to risk my job in order to help save face on an ex-1st rounder.

Okam has about 40 snaps in the preseason, about 5 have been really good, about 10 have been okay, and the other 25 have been horrible. I'm not sure that's what I want at DT. I'll take TJ's mediocrity and Deljuan's 2 good penetrations a game and generally solid play over what Okam or Okoye offers.

dalemurphy
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Studdard and Okoye ... ones a brawler without much talent and the other might have some talent but isn't much of a brawler .

Neither of them any business on the active roster! How much better would this team's depth be if we still had Anthony Maddox at DT and Brandon Frye as a backup G/T and cut loose these two bums last season.

The worst part about Okoye is the coaching staff continues to force him into the lineup. Why? He hasn't produced in about 28 games and is a freakin' sieve in run game.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Neither of them any business on the active roster! How much better would this team's depth be if we still had Anthony Maddox at DT and Brandon Frye as a backup G/T and cut loose these two bums last season.

The worst part about Okoye is the coaching staff continues to force him into the lineup. Why? He hasn't produced in about 28 games and is a freakin' sieve in run game.

I won't even bring up Patrick Willis

nunusguy
08-24-2009, 12:13 PM

=======

My point is that many were critical of Smiths defensive schemes, play-calling, etc. The basic criticism was that his approach was too bland, too vanilla, not agrressive enough with too little blitzing for example. OK maybe his play-calling lacked imagination, but his primary problem was his personnell lacked adequate talent in too many positions.
Now if Smith was also an integral part of evaluating and selecting college players to be drafted for the defense including the Okoye choice, he would share responsibility for that decision.

TheRealJoker
08-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I won't even bring up Patrick Willis

Or Darelle Revis :(

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Or Darelle Revis :(

Oh well hindsight and all that junk .

Ok ... it's back to the smiley faces .

http://www.koolbadges.co.uk/images/thumbnails/yellowdrunkface-200x200.jpg

Fox
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Okam has about 40 snaps in the preseason, about 5 have been really good, about 10 have been okay, and the other 25 have been horrible. I'm not sure that's what I want at DT. I'll take TJ's mediocrity and Deljuan's 2 good penetrations a game and generally solid play over what Okam or Okoye offers.

Not advocating him to be a primary starter, just part of the rotation, again as I said depending on the next couple weeks. He's flashed enough for me to not give up on him yet.

TexansSeminole
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
My point is that many were critical of Smiths defensive schemes, play-calling, etc. The basic criticism was that his approach was too bland, too vanilla, not agrressive enough with too little blitzing for example. OK maybe his play-calling lacked imagination, but his primary problem was his personnell lacked adequate talent in too many positions.
Now if Smith was also an integral part of evaluating and selecting college players to be drafted for the defense including the Okoye choice, he would share responsibility for that decision.

Well I do remember Richard Smith saying that Okoye was their top defensive player on their board. He looked pretty happy at that press conference.

Runner
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Well I do remember Richard Smith saying that Okoye was their top defensive player on their board. He looked pretty happy at that press conference.

Richard Smith told Johnny Holland that to argue for drafting a player like DeMeco Ryans is a good way to short circuit his coaching career. Luckily for the Texans, Kubiak sided with Holland.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I think this regime has shown that they really don't know how to assess DT talent. We've blown two early 1st round picks on really crappy DT's the last few years. The best DT's that were ever in this franchise came from the Capers/Casserly era. They couldn't rush the passer to save their lives but they got great tackle play from guys who could actually hold their ground and keep the Guards off mediocre players like Jay Foreman, assuring them of some fabulous tackle numbers.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I think this regime has shown that they really don't know how to assess DT talent. We've blown two early 1st round picks on really crappy DT's the last few years. The best DT's that were ever in this franchise came from the Capers/Casserly era. They couldn't rush the passer to save their lives but they got great tackle play from guys who could actually hold their ground and keep the Guards off mediocre players like Jay Foreman, assuring them of some fabulous tackle numbers.

I read somewhere that DT's are graded to much on one on one drills ( say at the senior bowl ) and such . In a game , there's not much room to manuever plus there's four other OL so the one on one drill is out the window .

Vinny
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I read somewhere that DT's are graded to much on one on one drills ( say at the senior bowl ) and such . In a game , there's not much room to manuever plus there's four other OL so the one on one drill is out the window .all I've been reading from Camp Texans for years and years now is how they want lighter faster tackles that can rush the passer. Yeah, that's great and all but if you face 2nd and 3rd and short all year it really doesn't matter how good you rush the passer because you don't have to hold on to the ball if you only have to run a 3 yard pattern.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
all I've been reading from Camp Texans for years and years now is how they want lighter faster tackles that can rush the passer. Yeah, that's great and all but if you face 2nd and 3rd and short all year it really doesn't matter how good you rush the passer because you don't have to hold on to the ball if you only have to run a 3 yard pattern.

It pains me to say this and I may get bashed but Okam and Okoye may be to smart and nice to play a position where your job is to do the dirty work . Ask KC about drafting a small DT high . Sapp was the exception , not the rule .

If we had a NT , I'd say got to a 3-4 with Cushing and Barwin on the outside . Ryans , Adibi , and Diles in the middle .

nunusguy
08-24-2009, 03:49 PM

That doesn't surprise me. I remeber a lot of people being wowed with the Senior Bowl week of practice Okoye had. And BTW the only real steller defensive player coming out of the first round of that Draft was Willis, whom I doubt the Texans would have drafted even if Okoye wasn't available because of the presence of DeMeco on the roster.
But if what you're saying is true, so what ? The reason people were griping about Smith last year was the perceived incompetant manner he managed the defense, not his inability to identify potential NFL level talent in college.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
That doesn't surprise me. I remeber a lot of people being wowed with the Senior Bowl week of practice Okoye had. And BTW the only real steller defensive player coming out of the first round of that Draft was Willis, whom I doubt the Texans would have drafted even if Okoye wasn't available because of the presence of DeMeco on the roster.
But if what you're saying is true, so what ? The reason people were griping about Smith last year was the perceived incompetant manner he managed the defense, not his inability to identify potential NFL level talent in college.

I think Willis and Demeco are flexible enough where they could play together .

Silver Oak
08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Just get a new team
:whip:

says the dude with a solid red rep bar. how about this...go find a new message board to troll?

TexansSeminole
08-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Willis has the talent to play strongside, or we could have moved Meco to one of the outside spots. Its all hindsight but we shouldn't assume any player is off limits just because we have a player already at one position, aside from QB.

Perhaps you've forgotten the constant need for Smith to run the prevent defense with Jesse frickin Nading roaming the middle (as a spy?). Or continuing to play Greenwood with Bentley on the roster. Or dropping Mario into coverage with no other passrushers on the field. Or having the corners line up way off the LOS in crucial situation.

Smith was not a good coach. You combine that with a low talent level and you have a problem. I'm not ready to say that what we will get with Bush is equally bad or worse than what we got from Smith because of one poor performance in pre-season.

Texan4Ever
08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
What if we moved Antonio Smith to DT and put TJ or DelJuan next to him and let Barwin play the other DE spot?

Vinny
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
What if we moved Antonio Smith to DT and put TJ or DelJuan next to him and let Barwin play the other DE spot?
imo, Smith was awful at DT so I donno how much that helps.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
says the dude with a solid red rep bar. how about this...go find a new message board to troll?

If he's a Titan fan , he hasn't seen the scores lately .

TexansSeminole
08-24-2009, 04:18 PM
The best thing the Texans can do is just play the best player. Forget about where they were drafted or how much money they make, just play the best player in that situation. If the Okoye we saw against the Saints is the best DT we have on 1st and 2nd down than we are in for a rough season.

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
The best thing the Texans can do is just play the best player. Forget about where they were drafted or how much money they make, just play the best player in that situation. If the Okoye we saw against the Saints is the best DT we have on 1st and 2nd down than we are in for a rough season.

Carolina is looking for a DT ... hmmm .

nunusguy
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Duh ! I just realized why they continue to keep TJ around, and it scared me !
He's the best DT we've got on the roster (with the possible exception of
DelJuan).

Vinny
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Duh ! I just realized why they continue to keep TJ around, and it scared me !
He's the best DT we've got on the roster (with the possible exception of
DelJuan).the sad but true post of the day. :fans:

disaacks3
08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
On re-watching the game again via PVR (with lots of slo-mo replays)..

1. I thought we looked better than I remembered 1st-Team vs. 1st-team.

2. The first big run to daylight (by the saints) was accomplished by several factors, not the least of which was one of our own players knocking down the man closest to the action and then taking himself out of the play by doing so. A Safety should rarely find himself within 5 yds. of the line of scrimmage after the snap of the ball, but it happened on that play.

3. Was there holding? Certainly, but we were getting man-handled - the call on Amobi for Defensive holding was a joke though considering.

4. The drive-extending flag on our opening scoring drive was legit, though it was most definitely a Face-Mask, NOT a "blow to the head".

5. Illegal Motion should have been called (an additional three times) on the Saints in the first half alone... Two by the QB, one by the LT. (The LT one I saw during the game at full speed from 40+ yds away).

6. I'm praying that we were playing pure-vanilla Defensive packages, because as even the great observer Spencer Tillman pointed out...It sure looked like the Saints knew EXACTLY what we were calling defensively.

7. Connor Barwin will be OK - Good motor, but without the brain farts.

8. Casey looked reasonably good as well, even though he did finally drop one.

9. Dan O. has some scary similarities to Rosencopter & HWSNBN - fix the tendencies or get him outta town.

10. Is there some reason we avoided even really trying to get the ball to OD. He had 1 catch on a screen in the first half (overturned by flag). Is the F.O. trying to send him a message or what? He was a better option on several plays where our QB (Schaub AND Dan O.) "locked on" a receiver...usually to his detriment.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
6. I'm praying that we were playing pure-vanilla Defensive packages, because as even the great observer Spencer Tillman pointed out...It sure looked like the Saints knew EXACTLY what we were calling defensively. I don't think we were. I have the game taped also but haven't broken much down yet (busy weekend). If I remember correctly, the big TD run was against a run blitz where we moved some of our linebackers down to the los ala the 4-6 defense. When the Guards pushed lawnmower man out of the way their wasn't much left but the secondary standing in the way since it looked like Barber (I think it was Barber) dropped down to become the mike backer....long story short, imo we were not playing totally vanilla. I think the Saints out-muscled us more than out-guessed us though.

BSofA04
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I think that this game might be one of the best things to happen to this team whos egos' might have been inflated with the national and local media love. They haven't earned any more respect from last season, and the defense was simply humiliated. This slap in the face in our own backyard should wake them up for the Vikings and the regular season. IMO, we're a very good team with the talent and potential to do great things this season, but nothing is going to be handed to us. Unfortunatly, the Saints were more than happy to take us to the woodshed. I fully expect a much better and more competitive team to take the field next Monday.

It sucks, but sometimes you need your arse kicked before you realize what it takes to become a true playoff caliber team.

Brisco_County
08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
2. The first big run to daylight (by the saints) was accomplished by several factors, not the least of which was one of our own players knocking down the man closest to the action and then taking himself out of the play by doing so. A Safety should rarely find himself within 5 yds. of the line of scrimmage after the snap of the ball, but it happened on that play.

This was the first thing I noticed on the replay. It looks like a team that's out of synch, or not ready to play.

I think that this game might be one of the best things to happen to this team whos egos' might have been inflated with the national and local media love.

I don't think mind reading will give us any answers. Just looking at how they played, it's obvious that they weren't ready-- just like they weren't ready for Pittsburgh last year.

It looks like the only way this team gets into fighting shape is after a few games into the season. Coaching isn't preparing them. Why not is a mystery, because it's not from a lack of effort.

BSofA04
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
This was the first thing I noticed on the replay. It looks like a team that's out of synch, or not ready to play.

I don't think mind reading will give us any answers. Just looking at how they played, it's obvious that they weren't ready-- just like they weren't ready for Pittsburgh last year.

It looks like the only way this team gets into fighting shape is after a few games into the season. Coaching isn't preparing them. Why not is a mystery, because it's not from a lack of effort.

I hope not. The whole goal this season is to "start fast" and not dig ourselves a hole. Clearly we were not ready on Saturday but hopefully things will get better with the national audience tuning in next week to watch Brett Favre.