PDA

View Full Version : I am Starting to miss Sage already

fikster
08-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I hope Schaub stays healthy ALL year. Even though they say Orlosky has the physical tools, it's evident he needs alot of work on the mental side.

I am still giving the guy and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because they know talent alot more than I do. Let's go Texans. Come on Dan O, show me something.

jaayteetx
08-22-2009, 09:48 PM
They got three qbs, maybe we could get him back? :stirpot:

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Dan O is going to need some time in our system it looks like...

But to be fair, Sage had two offseasons and a full season here, before he was really counted on to start games for us.

But like you said.....hopefully Schaub doesn't get hurt this year.

Brisco_County
08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Right, Rosenfels never would've embarrassed himself by trying to do too much on one play.

fikster
08-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Right, Rosenfels never would've embarrassed himself by trying to do too much on one play.

not saying he was the greatest. i am just saying that the learning curve wouldn't have been there and we have seemingly gotten the same result so far. I want us to be the best, period.

V3rm0nt3r
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
not saying he was the greatest. i am just saying that the learning curve wouldn't have been there and we have seemingly gotten the same result so far. I want us to be the best, period.

yeah well they tried to get a QB that wouldn't have a learning curve didn't they? one with starting not to mention playoff experiences and unfortunately they forgot that Grossman was a first round bust with an exceptional D.

this is completely unrelated with this thread but when would anybody need to use this-> :butterfly: it popped up as one of the smiles on my original screen and i don't think i've seen a more pointless smiley

eriadoc
08-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I am Starting to miss Sage already

I submit for your viewing pleasure the definitive Sage Rosenfels highlight reel:

LINK 1 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b680e1/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)
LINK 2 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b683c4/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)
LINK 3 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b6992e/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)

MEGA SWATT
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
sorry but I'm glad Rosencopter is gone.:ant:

Carr Bombed
08-23-2009, 12:05 AM

Anthony hill doesn't look too bad. Schaub just has to stay healthy and this is a none issue.

MojoMan
08-23-2009, 12:08 AM
I think you guys have it exactly wrong.

1. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to obtain a backup QB who clearly has the skills to be a starter. If you happen to get one who meets this criteria, your team will probably not be able to hold onto him for very long. There are not anywhere close to 32 of the these guys in the league (one starter for each team), much less 64.

2. Orlovsky is a guy who is reasonably intelligent for an NFL player, and who has experience as an NFL starter. Granted, he did not lead his team to victory, but his successor, #1 overall pick Matt Stafford, is unlikely to either.

3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB, and Coach Kubiak has great confidence in him and his prospects to help the team going forward.

4. It is unreasonable to expect new QB's to start right away, or to be successful stepping in and leading a bad team to success. Football is a team game, and players take a few years to develop.

5. The Texans have done a tremendous job of recruiting and signing back-up QB's since the inception of the franchise. Tony Banks generally played well in a backup roll. Rosenfels was excellent, to the point where he was seriously discussed as a potential starter for the Texans. It appears that Rosenfels would have started for the Vikings this year if Favre had not made another comeback.

6. Orlovsky is an optimal developmental prospect, and an excellent signing of a #2 QB. Who could the Texans have signed that would have been better? What better can we reasonably expect going forward? Let's try and be reasonable here.

Once again, I think we are being too harsh on Orlovsky way too soon. Let's try not to be so quick to condemn our players and to jump to a negative conclusion so rapidly. What do you say guys?

Norg
08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
well i havent watched the second half yet but i think Dan O was doing good i even said to a guy that sits next time maybe one day Dan can challenge Matty for the starting job

Showtime100
08-23-2009, 12:15 AM
I think you guys have it exactly wrong.

1. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to obtain a backup QB who clearly has the skills to be a starter. If you happen to get one who meets this criteria, your team will probably not be able to hold onto him for very long. There are not anywhere close to 32 of the these guys in the league (one starter fpr each team), much less 64.

2. Orlovsky is a guy who is reasonably intelligent for an NFL player, and who has experience as an NFL starter. Granted, he did not lead his team to victory, but his successor, #1 overall pick Matt Stafford, is unlikely to either.

3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB, and Kubiak has great confidence in him.

4. It is unreasonable to expect new QB's to start right away, or to be successful stepping in and leading a bad team to success. Football is a team game, and players take a few years to develop.

5. The Texans have done a tremendous job of recruiting and signing back-up QB's since the inception of the franchise. Tony Banks generally played well in a backup roll. Rosenfels was excellent, to the point where he was seriously discussed as a potential starter for the Texans, and to the extent wher he would have started for the Vikings this year if Favre had not made another comeback.

6. Orlovsky is an optimal developmental prospect, and an excellent signing of a #2 QB. Who could the Texans have signed that would have been better? What better can we reasonably expect going forward? Let's try and be reasonable here.

Once again, I think we are being too harsh on Orlovsky way too soon. Let's try not to be so quick to condemn our players and to jump to a negative conclusion so rapidly. What do you say guys?

I saw it last week and was surprised, a little more surprised still tonight all the negativity toward him.

To chime on Sage. Don't miss him a bit. I don't care what he does for another team I just - don't - miss him. eriadoc's links are just what I'm talking about. He was way too Oileresque for me. I've seen enough of that kind of tradition in Houston.

Norg
08-23-2009, 01:52 AM
DOnt worry he will be here monday how about u cheer for him then

Brisco_County
08-23-2009, 03:25 AM
I liked Sage, but I like Orlovsky more. I had to keep track of him last year since Calvin Johnson was one of my fantasy receivers, and he did the best job of all the Lions' three QB's. As far as back-ups go, he's good talent with a lot of upside. His interception in this game didn't bother me, and his touchdown didn't surprise me.

Thorn
08-23-2009, 06:52 AM
I liked Sage, but I like Orlovsky more. I had to keep track of him last year since Calvin Johnson was one of my fantasy receivers, and he did the best job of all the Lions' three QB's. As far as back-ups go, he's good talent with a lot of upside. His interception in this game didn't bother me, and his touchdown didn't surprise me.

I agree, DanO will be a fine QB learning under Kubiac and company, and he will eventually be a better backup than Sage. But he isn't there just yet.

Specnatz
08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Sage is not a Texan I do not care if he does well or does poorly. It seems some forget all the boneheaded plays he made and only remember the few good ones.

For example the game against the titans in 2007, the good sage kept us in that game and threw TDs and the bad sage kept the titans in that game by throwing Int.

With Orlovsky I see the work that needs to be done and then I see the touch he has on the ball with the TD pass.

As far as this being :butterfly: the most useless smiley, nt sure that this :wwfsmd: is not ahead of it.

Lucky
08-23-2009, 07:25 AM
3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB...
It's not that apparent to me. Is Orlovsky a better athlete than Matt Schaub? Sure. But, that doesn't translate to tremendous athletic abilities. Orlovsky may have athleticism along the lines of Sage Rosenfels. Maybe even David Carr. Tremendous? I don't see it on the field.

If Gary Kubiak can coach anything (pause for dramatic effect), it's the QB position. He made Sage Rosenfels better. Hell, he made David Carr as good as he was ever going to be. I'll drink the koolaid and believe that he can get the most out of DanO. Will that be good enough? I'm not sure.

El Tejano
08-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Sage is going to hand us our rear ends this Monday.

Specnatz
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Either that or throw a bunch of ints.

Livid13
08-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Let's just hope it NEVER comes down to Grossman !

Dan B.
08-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Holy cow we have a FSM smiley?!?!? These are officially the coolest mods evah.

ChampionTexan
08-23-2009, 11:30 AM
My feeling on this is with Orlovsky as the backup, we're very likely screwed in terms of playoff hopes if Schaub goes down. However, if Sage were still here, and Schaub went down, my feeling would then be that we would very likely be screwed in terms of playoff hopes.

If you're an offensive oriented team that's a playoff "hopeful" as opposed to a playoff "probable", and you're #1 QB goes down for any appreciable length of time, most likely you're screwed. The exception to this would be if the coaches (for whatever reason) started the wrong QB (see New England when Bledsoe got injured and the world was introduced to a guy by the name of Brady). I know Sage had his supporters, but I feel strongly that Schaub gives us a better chance to win than Sage would have, and almost everyone feels strongly that he gives us a better chance than Orlovsky.

The question is will the defense "Not suck" enough to give any QB a chance to lead this team to the playoffs. Tune in next Monday for your next clue to the answer to that question.

Brisco_County
08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Right before Cushing and DeMeco give us Rosencopter part deux.

ChampionTexan
08-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah, but the good news is that he'll likely leave the football stuck in the crack when he does it.

Porky
08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I hate to admit it, but Sage is a better QB than Dan O at this time. Dan O might have a better future, but we are talking about 2009. Which backup gives us the best chance to win in 2009. I think that answer is plainly Sage. He has won games for us in the past, whereas Dan won ....oh wait he didn't win diddly squat in Detroit. I know he had a bad team around him, but he couldn't manage to lead his team to even one measely victory?

b0ng
08-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I hate to admit it, but Sage is a better QB than Dan O at this time. Dan O might have a better future, but we are talking about 2009. Which backup gives us the best chance to win in 2009. I think that answer is plainly Sage. He has won games for us in the past, whereas Dan won ....oh wait he didn't win diddly squat in Detroit. I know he had a bad team around him, but he couldn't manage to lead his team to even one measely victory?

That's pretty obvious really. Sage has been in the league for awhile (What 8, 9 years?) and Dan has been on the Lions (Which is more like being in NFL Europe). Trading Sage for any kind of value is what I consider a good thing since he was not going to re-sign here to be a backup when his contract was up.

As far as "Sage wins games" I submit this:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1005/nfl_u_rosenfeis_580.jpg

I don't think Dan O is going to try to "win" a game for us so that he can attempt to grab a starter spot.

Dan B.
08-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I feel for Sage personally. Being from Iowa, I think he really wanted to go home and play near his family and friends. This was a great opportunity for him. I'm pulling for him in every game that matters and doesn't involve us.

I'm ok with letting Sage go, though I'm not sold on Orlovsky yet. I think Sage had reached his ceiling here and needed to move on.

V3rm0nt3r
08-23-2009, 03:21 PM
As far as this being :butterfly: the most useless smiley, nt sure that this :wwfsmd: is not ahead of it.

i take my hat off to you sir.

Pantherstang84
08-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I submit for your viewing pleasure the definitive Sage Rosenfels highlight reel:

LINK 1 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b680e1/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)
LINK 2 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b683c4/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)
LINK 3 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b6992e/Colts-Defense-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Texans-2008)

There needs to be a warning with this post. I just ate lunch a few minutes ago and don't want to puke it back up.

Texecutioner
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
It would be nice if people would move on from the Rosencoptor play. It was last season and that's over with. The guy was a damn good back up here. Anyone denying that really doesn't have a clue. Back up QB's are back ups for a reason and like one guy pointed out in here if a back up is starter material most likely he won't be with your team that long. The Texans wouldn't have traded Sage at all, if he didn't have any value. As a matter of fact he played well enough for a team to trade a 4th rounder for him which is pretty good for any back up, so he obviously didn't play as bad as people like to claim. The guy was a really nice player to have as a back up QB and he'll be missed in that role because he could always be counted on to play pretty well in limited time. It was when he had to start for several games he became more exposed as what he was which was a back up. The guy played as hard as he could over here though, and he shouldn't be getting trashed by anyone.