PDA

View Full Version : Cushing expects to play against the Vikes next week

indiantexan
08-22-2009, 04:53 PM
From PFT

Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing, the fifteenth overall pick in the draft, suffered a sprained LCL in his knee earlier this mont. To heal the injury, he's taking a page out of the Michael Jackson/T.O. playbook.

Cushing has been sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber.

"I take naps in there because it gets too hot to sleep in all night," Cushing recently wrote in his personal blog (via the Houston Examiner).

Cushing also said he hopes to play in the August 31 preseason game against the Vikings, and to be "full speed" for the final preseason game at Tampa.

m5kwatts
08-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I just hope he's not pushing it too hard

Texecutioner
08-22-2009, 04:59 PM
YYYeeeeaaahhhhh!!:fans:

Thorn
08-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Even if he only goes in for one or two series, it'll be nice to see him play. I expect him to make a few rookie mistakes, but I also expect him to lay out a few folks. Him and Ryans are going to make a fine pair of LBs for us. :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Even if he only goes in for one or two series, it'll be nice to see him play. I expect him to make a few rookie mistakes, but I also expect him to lay out a few folks. Him and Ryans are going to make a fine pair of LBs for us. :texflag:

I hope that just playing at all that soon is not his first rookie mistake.

m5kwatts
08-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Yep. I hope he's completely honest about his pain with the medical staff.

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Would've been nice to have him tonight......Houston put up no resistence on that first drive.

SheTexan
08-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Cushing will help light the fire that was apparently about dead, under our D. I saw Meco out there trying his best to put some spark under those guys, and they just didn't light it up!

On the other hand, I could care less about preseason! We need him full power for the Jets, not the freaking Vikes or TB. I realize he hasn't played one down as an NFL player, and needs the work out, BUT, geeeeezzzzz, we can't afford to lose him for the entire season just because he wants to PUSH it to early.

Hooston Texan
08-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Would've been nice to have him tonight......Houston put up no resistence on that first drive.

Can Cushing play DT? If not, I doubt he'd have made much difference.

Brisco_County
08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
The recovery time is on schedule, and he has an extra couple of days since it's a Monday night game.

b0ng
08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I liked his demeanor and attitude during his interview pre-game. The kid looks like he just wants to get out on the football field and hurt somebody. Holding him out of the Vikes game wouldn't bother me a bit since it is still seems kind of early to be coming back.

:butterfly: :butterfly: :butterfly:

^^^^^^^^^What are these things?

TheRealJoker
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd like him to get about 2 series in but not if he's anything less than 100%. Diles is a solid SAM but i'd prefer to have Cushing there and wouldn't want him to aggravate an injury and make it nagging for the rest of the season.

nunusguy
08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not worried about him playing in what remains of the preseason, I'm worried about his availability 'bout the 2nd or third game and thereafter after he plays in the regular season opener ?

Jackie Chiles
08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
:butterfly: :butterfly: :butterfly:

^^^^^^^^^What are these things?

I think I saw a couple of those playing DT for us last night.

DiehardChris
08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Not gonna happen. He MIGHT play against the Bucs, but he's not going to play Monday.

steelbtexan
08-23-2009, 11:41 PM

Yep

I hope the Texans use good judgement. I would hate it if they rush him back and he misses regular season time.

How long does it usually take to heal and be 100% from this type injury C-N-D ?

steelbtexan
08-23-2009, 11:42 PM

Spot On

Thorn
08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I can't find the thread that posted it, but in one of our threads someone posted Cushing's web page (or facebook, I forget). In any case, there was a link to send him an email so I did, welcoming him to Houston. This morning I get an email back from him saying he looks forward to playing and bringing a higher level of intensity to the defense.

Cool. :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Yep

I hope the Texans use good judgement. I would hate it if they rush him back and he misses regular season time.

How long does it usually take to heal and be 100% from this type injury C-N-D ?

We do not know the exact extent of the "sprain." If it is a low level sprain, you can expect 2-3 weeks before first return to field action.......not 100% performance. Seeing that determination of healing and return to action is heavily based on the SUBJECTIVE factor of resolving pain with activity, it leaves me somewhat worried that Cushing may not be entirely candid with his progress due to his zealous nature of always pushing himself to the max with whatever he does.

Remember also that we are relying on the Texans and Cushing being candid and candid about his injury. LCL damage very often is accompanied by structural damage to other knee elements. If the damage is greater than low level sprain and/or is accompanied by additional structural damage, return to action could easily be delayed for 6-8 weeks............especially, if there is "re-injury" or extending of the injury due to too early return.

Unfortunately, we fans do not necessarily have accurate and detailed injury information to work with in order to precisely answer your original question.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
As much as I want to see Cushing in action, I do not wish him to push too hard to play againt the Vikes. I do realize he needs some reps before reagular season begins. However, we really need him from September 13th against the Jets.

GO TEXANS!!

Vinny
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Scurf's twitter page said that TJ and Pitts are practicing today.
Travis Johnson on the field at practice today- limited, but off the PUP. C. Pitts practiced and lined up with the starters in team periodsAs much as I want to see Cushing in action, I do not wish him to push too hard to play againt the Vikes. I do realize he needs some reps before reagular season begins. However, we really need him from September 13th against the Jets.

GO TEXANS!!
Kubiak said that it's not likely Cushing plays this Monday.

Fox
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
We do not know the exact extent of the "sprain." If it is a low level sprain, you can expect 2-3 weeks before first return to field action.......not 100% performance. Seeing that determination of healing and return to action is heavily based on the SUBJECTIVE factor of resolving pain with activity, it leaves me somewhat worried that Cushing may not be entirely candid with his progress due to his zealous nature of always pushing himself to the max with whatever he does.

Remember also that we are relying on the Texans and Cushing being candid and candid about his injury. LCL damage very often is accompanied by structural damage to other knee elements. If the damage is greater than low level sprain and/or is accompanied by additional structural damage, return to action could easily be delayed for 6-8 weeks............especially, if there is "re-injury" or extending of the injury due to too early return.

Unfortunately, we fans do not necessarily have accurate and detailed injury information to work with in order to precisely answer your original question.

Grade 2.
http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_My-Hyperbaric-Chamber/BLOG/533306/113583.html?widgetId=209922

steelbtexan
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks

God I hope management doesn't mess this up.

Patience would seem to be the better part of valor.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Grade 2.
http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_My-Hyperbaric-Chamber/BLOG/533306/113583.html?widgetId=209922

Unfortunately, that is still inadequate information in that the grade 2 sprain can encompass a significant range of damage...........always enough ligament damage to produce laxity.......all the way to just short of total rupture. What can be expected is anywhere from a 4-8 week rehab depending of the true extent of injury.

What's important in trying to determine the endpoint before being able to return to "normal" activity is heavily based on subjective factors.

The progression you look for to safe endpoint is:

+The injured knee can be fully straightened and bent without pain.

+The injured knee is not swollen.

+The injured knee and leg have regained normal strength compared to the uninjured knee and leg.

+There is the ability to walk, bend and squat without pain.

Return to prior level of activity should be gradual, likely with brace support, backing off with any return of pain, swelling or knee instability.

Again my main concern is Cushing taking the "Superman" approach, ignoring the basic signs for backing off.

Somewhere, I've read that he is still experiencing swelling and discomfort.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Cushing will start to do drill work with Johnny Holland, will not practice. "Far reach" that he plays vs. MIN as of now, per Kubiak3:36 PM Aug 23rd from web

http://twitter.com/NickScurfield

Brisco_County
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM

How could he do that degree of damage and not know how it happened? I personally think he does remember the injury, but tried to fly it under the radar due to Superman syndrome.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
How could he do that degree of damage and not know how it happened? I personally think he does remember the injury, but tried to fly it under the radar due to Superman syndrome.

Certainly makes you think.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Scurf's twitter page said that TJ and Pitts are practicing today.

Kubiak said that it's not likely Cushing plays this Monday.

Wise decision by Kubiak. Just bring him up slowly. No need to rush.

Thanks for your info Vinny.

GO TEXANS!!

nunusguy
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
You know we're all thinking about this "in the back of our mind" as the saying goes. I'm just expecting to click on a website and see a story about Cushing needing surgery along with all of the stuff that follows that. I know it's not constructive to be so pessimistic, but the vibes here just aren't positive for me ?

El Tejano
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
You know we're all thinking about this "in the back of our mind" as the saying goes. I'm just expecting to click on a website and see a story about Cushing needing surgery along with all of the stuff that follows that. I know it's not constructive to be so pessimistic, but the vibes here just aren't positive for me ?

It's also based on things we've seen before with this club. Okoye comes to mind.

BigBull17
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

He will alot, actually. When you have DT's that penitrate, you need LB's who can fill the lanes and stop the run. Since Cush has played someDE, he makes ours a semi 5 man front.

Vinny
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
He will alot, actually. When you have DT's that penitrate, you need LB's who can fill the lanes and stop the run. Since Cush has played someDE, he makes ours a semi 5 man front.

Cushing may be up on the line but he would be an edge player, not an inside player.

Hervoyel
08-26-2009, 12:35 PM

I think that the first time I saw this post I didn't read this part because my mind was trying to protect me from the potential for panic. It was there but my mind just didn't process what what my eyes sent it.

Today it came through as I was reading further down the thread and saw it quoted. I've gone to "Pucker Factor 11" now.

"It" is torn and will require surgery where they will find other damage of some sort and see the pressing need to clean out something or other because of left over scar tissue from I don't know what. Then the swelling will not go away for weeks and we won't see Cushing on the field until week 11 or something like that. Later we'll hear that he was never truly 100% this season but that he's completely recovered and can't wait until OTA's where he will participate but the coaches will have him "take it easy" just to be on the safe side. Some time before the start of training camp next year we will learn from an off-the-cuff remark at the end of a John McClain article that Cushing was widely believed to have some damage in that knee from the previous college season and that the Texans were aware of it BUT they chose to take the chance anyway because of all the upside he represented.

That's where my brain's gone. I've decided to pretend that Conner Barwin was our first round pick and he's working out splendidly!

Going to my happy place now!

badboy
08-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I think that the first time I saw this post I didn't read this part because my mind was trying to protect me from the potential for panic. It was there but my mind just didn't process what what my eyes sent it.

Today it came through as I was reading further down the thread and saw it quoted. I've gone to "Pucker Factor 11" now.

"It" is torn and will require surgery where they will find other damage of some sort and see the pressing need to clean out something or other because of left over scar tissue from I don't know what. Then the swelling will not go away for weeks and we won't see Cushing on the field until week 11 or something like that. Later we'll hear that he was never truly 100% this season but that he's completely recovered and can't wait until OTA's where he will participate but the coaches will have him "take it easy" just to be on the safe side. Some time before the start of training camp next year we will learn from an off-the-cuff remark at the end of a John McClain article that Cushing was widely believed to have some damage in that knee from the previous college season and that the Texans were aware of it BUT they chose to take the chance anyway because of all the upside he represented.

That's where my brain's gone. I've decided to pretend that Conner Barwin was our first round pick and he's working out splendidly!

Going to my happy place now!mmmmm mmmm kumbaya. mmmm

mmmmm all is well mmm mmmmm kumbaya.:thisbig:

The Pencil Neck
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Odd.

I've been thinking almost the same thoughts.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! :tinfoil:

steelbtexan
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM

With all of the past injuries and misdiagnosis that have happened on the Houston sports scene lately I can see how fans have become jaded.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Do you have enough room in your happy place for me????:spy:

Carr Bombed
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I almost wish he heard a pop, felt a pull or something and knew when he hurt it. Usually these "phantom injuries" turn out to be the worst of all.....it can be a sign of a chronic condition developing. :gun:

ChampionTexan
08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Let me play devil's (angel's?) advocate to a few of the more recent posts.

Yeah, there have been some times that the Texans staff either underestimated, misunderstood, or simply misdiagnosed some injuries initially. I don't know that the Texans are much different than most other NFL teams in this regard, but we don't typically scream incompetence, or dishonesty when another team's player is out a week or two longer than initially reported, or suffers a career ending injury early, or in the prime of their career (in fact, I'm guessing many of us view New England's lack of candor on such matters as an admirable trait). Charles Spencer is the poster child for this, and while I don't know if it's applicable or not, it could be that Boselli created a culture of "Oh my gosh, every time one of the Texans has an injury, we will assume a worst case scenario, and not believe anybody actually employed by or associated with the team, but we will determine amongst ourselves here in cyberspace land the extent of the injury, and the length of time it will take for the Texans to come out and 'fess up that it's career ending.

Perhaps Cushing's injury will end up being worse than currently indicated by the Texans staff, but I present two counter-arguments to the 100% gloom and doom mentality.

1. Dunta Robinson
2. Matt Schaub

Simply put, Dunta came back lass than a year after suffering an injury that many feared would be career ending. Perhaps his career truly was in peril, or perhaps not, but he made it back ahead of almost everyone's schedule, and while not 100% by anyone's admission, he was healthy enough to get on the field for more than half of the games last year, and it's realistic to expect him to demonstrate further recovery when he finally decides to get his butt on a football field for the '09 season.

Schaub was injured by the hit from Jared Allen, and was reportedly going to miss 6 games. He ended up missing 4, and despite concerns expressed on this message board (and I'm sure other places) that his return was premature and an example of the ineptness of the Texans medical staff, he threw for over 400 yards in his first game back, and finished the season strongly. Miraculous? Absolutely not. Probably not even all that unusual AND THAT'S THE POINT. Sometimes they miss long, sometimes they miss short, and sometimes they come pretty close to hitting the bullseye, but the idea that the Texans always understate, mis-diagnose or hide the severity of an injury due to either incompetence, or deviousness simply isn't the case.

RipTraxx
08-27-2009, 05:44 AM
I know im late but i say leave him out till the Jets game.

We've invested too much money for him to rush a 'sprained knee' back and lose him for the whole season vs. him taking it easy and having him for the whole season.

TimeKiller
08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Anyone seen any new reports on how/what Cush is doing in practice?

Reading the gloom and doom posts are...gloomy....and doomy....

BigBull17
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Cushing may be up on the line but he would be an edge player, not an inside player.

Yeah, but he is still a big dude on the LOS. That will help the run D some.

Vinny
08-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but he is still a big dude on the LOS. That will help the run D some.no argument there. This team is in dire need of more physical play and a mean streak. I'd like to see the players play like they're in a bad mood. With this team I've noticed they like to dance alot when they finally make a play. You shouldn't feel like dancing if your pee'd off!

BigBull17
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
no argument there. This team is in dire need of more physical play and a mean streak. I'd like to see the players play like they're in a bad mood. With this team I've noticed they like to dance alot when they finally make a play. You shouldn't feel like dancing if your pee'd off!

I agree 100%. Dancing is for the show boats. Just pop a guy in the mouth and go back to work.

Vinny
08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but he is still a big dude on the LOS. That will help the run D some.

no argument there. This team is in dire need of more physical play and a mean streak. I'd like to see the players play like they're in a bad mood. With this team I've noticed they like to dance alot when they finally make a play. You shouldn't feel like dancing if your pee'd off!

I agree 100%. Dancing is for the show boats. Just pop a guy in the mouth and go back to work.
maybe I'll suggest to Nick that they play the macarena (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN62PAKoBfE) over the loud speakers when someone creates a turnover or makes a game changing play. The players might enjoy that.

Second Honeymoon
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I really hope this guy can stay on the field. I think most of us were aware that he wasn't a full time starter at USC and still had a hard time staying on the field yet we draft him to be our OLB of the future? We drafted him to fill a blatant need and he could be the missing piece. The guy has heart and does work his tail off. I'm all for trying to find a round peg to fit into a round hole but if the round peg is broken, whats the use?

Don't like the Cushing pick at all. Not only does he have a history of injuries but he seems like he is at his ceiling with little upside. Then when you add the steroid rumors and the fact that he played amongst so much talent at USC, I worry if he can make the transition.

As for Barwin, he seems like a guy that may be able to develop into a quality pass rusher. Probably would have drafted William Moore at that point, but I wanted either Barwin or Moore at that point and the Texans drafted one of them, so it wasn't a total loss.

I hope Cushing works out for us, but I just have a bad feeling about this guy.

Hopefully the Texans will wake us all up with a little Coffee tomorrow morning.

Second Honeymoon
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
maybe I'll suggest to Nick that they play the macarena (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN62PAKoBfE) over the loud speakers when someone creates a turnover or makes a game changing play. The players might enjoy that.

while your at it, could you ask them to retire 'Football Time In Houston' and the 'First Down!!!' chants and they can get rid of the flag guys if they want...im hot/cold on those guys.

at least we won't have 10,000+ Saints fans at Monday Night's game. A lot of Saints fans were being pretty freaking rude and obnoxious. I think thats why I was a little extra upset about the loss.

disaacks3
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
no argument there. This team is in dire need of more physical play and a mean streak. I'd like to see the players play like they're in a bad mood. With this team I've noticed they like to dance alot when they finally make a play. You shouldn't feel like dancing if your pee'd off! Fat Albert was a good example (whether or not you like/dislike him personally). - I'll never forget him pacing back and forth with a glare, waiting for the O-Line to get back to the LoS. - truly menacing stuff.

Second Honeymoon
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Fat Albert was a good example (whether or not you like/dislike him personally). - I'll never forget him pacing back and forth with a glare, waiting for the O-Line to get back to the LoS. - truly menacing stuff.

Reggie White used to get pretty lathered up too.

Porky
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM

What is this turnover and game changing plays that you describe? I have heard of this from friends around the country but haven't been able to see it myself.

nunusguy
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
610 Radio just reported that Cushing practiced 'bout 20 minutes today and
it's looking like he will not play Monday against the Vikings.

TimeKiller
08-29-2009, 02:25 PM
while your at it, could you ask them to retire 'Football Time In Houston' and the 'First Down!!!' chants and they can get rid of the flag guys if they want...im hot/cold on those guys.

at least we won't have 10,000+ Saints fans at Monday Night's game. A lot of Saints fans were being pretty freaking rude and obnoxious. I think thats why I was a little extra upset about the loss.

Yeah, I hate that FTIH song too. The pep band can go as well, that's awful. In high school I was on the bass line and our drumline played tons of grooves during the games that were awesome and crowd pleasing. Sure we had to do the cheesy high school band fight song crap too but this is the NFL...there's no need for Deep in the heart of Texas, that's corn on the cob. Bust out some chops instead of being an annoying side show! I know the guy that runs it though, Lamar Burkhalter. He's a cool guy but it won't ever progress past the high school mentality.