PDA

View Full Version : SR610: Cato June has broken his forearm

DiehardChris
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Adam Clanton just reported this on 610.

TEXANS84
08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Wonderful.
What once was the deepest position, is now the one of the weakest.

Drew_Smoke
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I heard that earlier too....not good.

TexanSam
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
F*ck!

Wolf6151
08-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Why so many injuries this year? At this rate half the team will be on IR or PUP when the season starts.

Thorn
08-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, crap. Here we go again.

False Start
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM
And so it begins........ :headhurts:

Mike Kerns
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow....just, wow.

RipTraxx
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Holy hell. We're paying a steep price for a six point win. *sigh*

TimeKiller
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Damn. We're gonna need to start bubble wrapping the players before they go out to practice...

valleytexfan
08-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Why does it seem like every year some players are made out of bosalwood?

dalemurphy
08-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm determined to have Chaun Thompson make the team. So, I am actually relieved. Now, it sets up well: Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Demeco, Cushing, Thompson.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually, I wasn't expecting him to make the team. And if he did make the team, I was expecting him to get minimal playing time.

I mean, I'm sorry he broke his arm and everything but this does not upset me.

Fox
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Actually, I wasn't expecting him to make the team. And if he did make the team, I was expecting him to get minimal playing time.

Ditto, here's to a rapid recovery but I'm also having a sigh of relief that it wasn't one of the other LB's.

disaacks3
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM

I mean, I'm sorry he broke his arm and everything but this does not upset me. It upsets me, but it's not like I projected him to be a starter. I just hate losing 'quality' depth.

Marcus
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, crap. Here we go again.

I don't think this team is having any more injuries per se than any other team in the NFL. But injuries are indeed part of the game. More so than any fan is willing to admit, or deal with.

Injuries are the reason why W-L predictions are silly.

76Texan
08-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Anybody knows the extent of the injury?

76Texan
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM

I saw Todd Verdell in punt return coverage, looking sharp!
Was that a sign? :thinking:

nunusguy
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm determined to have Chaun Thompson make the team. So, I am actually relieved. Now, it sets up well: Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Demeco, Cushing, Thompson.

I dunno, can we really feel comfortable about Cushings situation ? I heard he wasn't at practice yesterday and I was there myself today and saw no sigh of him ? I hope his knee injury isn't more serious than what the Texans are
reporting but with the lack of candor they have about such things one never knows ?

badboy
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Can't have these guys playing "touch" or something like that from another thread on injuries and I also like this post "this is pro football and injuries happen."

Hardcore Texan
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
June was a bubble guy from everything I read, so I don't think this particular injury is a big set back.

hookinreds
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
June was a bubble guy from everything I read, so I don't think this particular injury is big set back.

That's pretty much how I felt...and with Cushing, I'm fine if he's not practicing if it's get healthy...no need for him to be out there just for the sake of being out there if he's even the least bit off his springs.

Insideop
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Does this mean Diles goes back to WLB and Thompson will backup Cushing? How about Davis? Where does he fit in? :thinking:

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I dunno, can we really feel comfortable about Cushings situation ? I heard he wasn't at practice yesterday and I was there myself today and saw no sigh of him ? I hope his knee injury isn't more serious than what the Texans are
reporting but with the lack of candor they have about such things one never knows ?

Cushing was there today and walking around just fine after an ice down.

Uprising
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM

That's great to hear. Definitely need him healthy. I hate how many injuries there are during preseason / practices. :(

Can't wait for Saturday though, been missing the sight of the inside of Reliant! Go Texans! :texflag:

Thorn
08-20-2009, 12:59 PM

That's good to hear.

I don't think this team is having any more injuries per se than any other team in the NFL. But injuries are indeed part of the game. More so than any fan is willing to admit, or deal with.

Injuries are the reason why W-L predictions are silly.

You must have misplaced your 10 Commandments Of Being A Football Fan. Commandment number three clearly states "Thou shall not deprive the right of a fellow fan of his unfounded panic."

Insideop
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM
You must have misplaced your 10 Commandments Of Being A Football Fan. Commandment number three clearly states "Thou shall not deprive the right of a fellow fan of his unfounded panic."

:spit:

76Texan
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Myers still had his boot on; he walked around quite actively though!

nunusguy
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I missed him. I hope he was getting iced-down after some serious running or other exercise ?
BTW, saw Pitts taking a few snaps with the first-team.
How many fights were there, 5 or 6 ? Guys were trading hooks and jabs today.

m5kwatts
08-20-2009, 01:08 PM
They need to slow down in practice sheesh is it really necessary to bust it like this and lose guys? I'd rather have nothing but mental reps and film study until week 1, nothing physical!

4Texans
08-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Chron.com Notes said he will undergo surgery this afternoon to put a plate in at the break.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6580200.html

Houston_Fanatic
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I was at practice today and saw Cato over walk over to the sideline and they were looking at his right forearm and then he left, so I didn't figure that was a good sign. Tough break for June.

I saw Cushing with a giant ice bag around his knee. Good to see Pitts out there. Moved over from the far field sideline to the main field endzone when I heard the commotion, so I missed the fights. I should have stayed put!

I thought the team looked a little tired and worn out compared to the Sunday practice I went to (3rd day of camp), but that can be expected with the training camp grind wearing them down.

Brink looked terrible and Orlovsky didn't look too sharp so Schaub better stay healthy or I'm afraid our season is toast.

nero THE zero
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM

What does his presence have to do with the severity of his injury? It's not like he was expected to start practice this week.

indiantexan
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I was at practice today and saw Cato over walk over to the sideline and they were looking at his right forearm and then he left, so I didn't figure that was a good sign. Tough break for June.

I saw Cushing with a giant ice bag around his knee. Good to see Pitts out there. Moved over from the far field sideline to the main field endzone when I heard the commotion, so I missed the fights. I should have stayed put!

I thought the team looked a little tired and worn out compared to the Sunday practice I went to (3rd day of camp), but that can be expected with the training camp grind wearing them down.

Brink looked terrible and Orlovsky didn't look too sharp so Schaub better stay healthy or I'm afraid our season is toast.

Orlovsky almost invariably throws wobbly balls. Against KC, I figured that might be due to the rain. But even at practice his balls are wobbly and take forever to get to the receiver.

Brisco_County
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Is it a bad sign or does it not matter that Cushing has a giant bag of ice on his knee a week after the injury?

drewmar74
08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Is it a bad sign or does it not matter that Cushing has a giant bag of ice on his knee a week after the injury?

Was thinking the same thing.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
It is normal to ice down after working an injury out. Once the ice down was done he looked fine walking around.

I would assume they begin to slowly work him back in early next week. I hope he can play a little against the Vikes, but won't be upset if we hold him out. I'd like to see him get a few reps in at least one of the last 2 preseason games. We'll see

m5kwatts
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
It is normal to ice down after working an injury out. Once the ice down was done he looked fine walking around.

I would assume they begin to slowly work him back in early next week. I hope he can play a little against the Vikes, but won't be upset if we hold him out. I'd like to see him get a few reps in at least one of the last 2 preseason games. We'll see

I don't want him playing a snap in preseason personally. I don't see what good it serves to risk it.

Brisco_County
08-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I'm just hoping we do whatever it takes to get the right people on the field to sack Favre eight times on MNF. We'd probably cultivate a new national fanbase.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't want him playing a snap in preseason personally. I don't see what good it serves to risk it.

I think he absolutely needs a few reps. He needs to get used to the speed and get involved with the defense during true game situations before the real bullets begin to fly.

If it's that big of a risk to play a rookie in a preseason game then he ain't worth taking a chance on, right?

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM

I ice my shoulders when I work out and they haven't been seriously injured for a few years now.

I wouldn't worry about this. He probably just did some rehab and had to ice afterwards.

m5kwatts
08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I think he absolutely needs a few reps. He needs to get used to the speed and get involved with the defense during true game situations before the real bullets begin to fly.

If it's that big of a risk to play a rookie in a preseason game then he ain't worth taking a chance on, right?

Right but Cushing only knows one speed and I fear he'll go too hard, he's never going to take it easy on himself. I understand him getting comfortable with the speed of the game but we wouldn't have drafted him if we thought he wouldn't be ready for it. To flip your question the other way, if the speed of the game is too much or overwhelming for Cushing then he aint worth taking a chance on right? I think he'll be ready for it, its the mental side that I think Cushing should be working on until week 1.

TimeKiller
08-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Kubiak said Cushing was a definite no for the Saints so I wouldn't be worrying about him yet. Honestly, I've wondered if this injury was the kind that a tough-guy of Cushing's reputation would play through? Doesn't matter but I'd like to see him in one of the last two preseason games for sure.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 03:59 PM

From Kubiak on Cushing:

(on LB Brian Cushing) "You know what, he's doing really well. He ran yesterday a little bit, I don't know if y'all have watched him. It's my understanding he ran a little bit today. He's on schedule; we don't have any doubts that he'll be ready to go opening week. Do we play him in the preseason next week or Tampa Bay? I think that's still up in the air. Our target date is to make sure he's ready to go against the Jets."

An ice down after a run is wise

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5484

Texans Pride
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
So I know I've seen players play with a cast on their arm. Is this a break that June can play with a cast?

If not, how much time could we be looking at?

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d807b22ad_gallery_600.jpg (javascript:void(0);)

I saw this man play with a cast on each arm. But this man, Larry Wilson, is in the HoF.

DiehardChris
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
So I know I've seen players play with a cast on their arm. Is this a break that June can play with a cast?

I heard on the radio earlier that the initial timetable is 6-8 weeks.

Wouldn't surprise me if they cut him and do an injury settlement though, since he was already on the bubble to begin with.

I hate to lose quality depth. Damn.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d807b22ad_gallery_600.jpg (javascript:void(0);)

I saw this man play with a cast on each arm. But this man, Larry Wilson, is in the HoF.

Larry Wilson was the God of Safeties before Ronnie Lott.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Larry Wilson was the God of Safeties before Ronnie Lott.

Indeed.
52 career INTs. Not bad for a 7th rd pick

Brisco_County
08-21-2009, 03:02 AM

Shaun Alexander played with a cast in 2005. Unfortunately for anyone who drafted him in fantasy, he didn't produce much more yardage than if he sat on the bench.

Malloy
08-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Indeed.
52 career INTs. Not bad for a 7th rd pick

7nd rounder... what a bust ;)

On June, a broken arm is nothing, recovery is fairly fast and no crap once it's healed.

barrett
08-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Based on Kubiak's tone after practice, I'd say he's done. I hoped he'd get cut because it would have suggested that our LB core is solid. I didn't want it on the cheap like this. But I think he's not much of a loss.

Buster looked quick on ST. For what it's worth.

Kimmy
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Extent enough for surgery for a plate to be put it - he posted on his twitter that surgery was a success.

I want to say thank you to everyone that showed support and said prayers! Surgery was a success and I'll be back in business soon!
about 9 hours ago from TwitterFon

Tough day today.. Broke my forearm.. Going into surgery later this afternoon to get a plate put in.. A setback is a setup to comeback!!
about 21 hours ago from TwitterFon

m5kwatts
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Out 6-8 weeks

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5482

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
It sounds like Cato's fracture included both bones of the forearm (ulna and radius), which is a common combination from a direct blow to the forearm in football. When both of the bones are broken along their shaft, the various muscles groups attached to them will spasm/contract in response to the injury and pain. This creates constant differential torquing stresses and variable movement of the bone segments. This combo fracture almost always requires surgery in an adult, since without surgery, the forearm is generally unstable and there is no ability to cast this type of fracture in a proper orientation.

These type of forearm fractures are most commonly treated by placing a metal plate and screws on both the radius and ulna bones. Some surgeons will use a rod within the bone to maintain the position of the bone, but this can't be done in fractures where rotational stability is an issue. Therefore, most both bones forearm fractures are treated with a plate and screws. This approach also allows quicker football ready return since you are not relying only on bone strength through natural healing. If the aforementioned scenario is indeed the case, true "football ready" rather than just being able to begin testing the arm, hopefully will be 6-8 weeks.