PDA

View Full Version : With okam less is more

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Many have seen his potential. We may now be able to enjoy his production.

By losing weight, Texans DT Frank Okam believes he has improved his agility, his footwork and even his strength (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6579606.html)

After an impressive preseason game at Kansas City, defensive tackle Frank Okam is raising more than a few eyebrows around Texans training camp.

“Frank was impressive in the game,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “He played a lot of plays. You're starting to see young veteran backup players starting to play like they belong on the field a lot, and that's important for our team. It's a big step forward for Frank.”

Okam, a former University of Texas star, was honored to be on the receiving end of a compliment from Kubiak, a former Texas A&M Aggie, but it was an even stranger scene after Wednesday morning's practice when several Texans fans shouted his first name just to congratulate his good play.

Okam is more accustomed to people calling him a bust or a letdown, but as a fifth-round pick entering his second season, he's prepared to grow into a bigger role.

“Sure, I had two batted balls, but after watching the film, there's still a lot of things that I can improve on,” Okam said. “I'm pleased with my play, and I'm glad the coaches are complimenting me, but I still have plenty of work to do to make myself better.”

Okam's value to the Texans' defense has increased dramatically in recent weeks.

It seems like a long two months ago when he showed up at OTAs overweight, much to the displeasure of Kubiak, who said in June that Okam couldn't run stunts and be as athletic as he needed to be if he weighed 360 pounds. Still the team's heaviest player, Okam currently weighs about 335 pounds but is more agile than he has been in a long time.

A weighty commitment

As a senior at Lake Highlands High School in Dallas, Okam ran a 4.9 40-yard dash and posted a 29-inch vertical leap, impressive abilities to complement his strength. But at UT and after his rookie season with the Texans, Okam developed a reputation for not being able to keep his weight down.

But that's changing.

“I knew I had to make a commitment to help this team any way possible,” he said.

So Okam worked vigorously throughout the summer with Texans strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright and stayed true to his diet. One of the things people were talking about the first day of training camp was how much he had slimmed down. Many were concerned that with the weight loss, he had lost his power.

Plenty of power

“Actually, I got a little stronger,” Okam said. “It was part of a program they set out for me, and I just went by it to the T, and it all took care of itself. I'm feeling much more capable of doing the things that I need to be doing, and my footwork has improved.”

Okam's power has always been one of his strengths as a defensive tackle. If he's not the strongest player on the team, he's at least in contention.

“I'd say it's pretty close between me and Mario (Williams),” Okam said. “Mario's a freak of nature. There are some lifts where I can do more than him, and there's probably a lot of lifts where he can do more than me.

“But I'm up there — definitely top three.”

Thorn
08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Okam calls Mario a freak of nature! LOL

Fox
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Pretty excited by Okam's progress so far, hopefully he continues to show up in games and keeps turning up that motor.

TimeKiller
08-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Hard to say that weight loss is the key component of Okam's emergence. I'd say it was more due to playing like a big mean badass and not an even bigger softy mcsoftersons. Just kiddin'....but really, he looks like he dropped 50 pounds, not 20. I don't know about stronger, maybe everything just feels lighter haha....His impact was noticeable on several plays. He looks like a guy whose effort is catching up to his talent. I'd love to see where his progression goes next but I'll enjoy this first step for what it is.

Top 3? Mario, Okam....who?

TexansFanatic
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
If Smith and Kubiak continue to have the kinds of drafts they've been having, where they find a Frank Okam in the 5th round, there will be no stopping this team for years to come.

DiehardChris
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
It still bothers me that he showed up to OTAs grossly out of shape - but right now, he's showing improvement - and more than that, he's showing it ON THE FIELD. So I'm pretty excited.

Hooston Texan
08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
It still bothers me that he showed up to OTAs grossly out of shape - but right now, he's showing improvement - and more than that, he's showing it ON THE FIELD. So I'm pretty excited.

Sometimes, a guy just needs a wake-up call. Getting his then-ample behind chewed at OTA's because of his weight may have been his. Hopefully, his weighty arrival at OTA's (or, more accurately, the way he responded afterwards) will go down as the turning point in his career. If he plays like he did Saturday between September 2009 and (hopefully) February 2010, no one will care what he was doing between January and May of 2009.

Wolf6151
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Hopefully he's not like most of us that once we lose weight we go back to our old diet and non-exercise program, hopefully he stays with it and continues to workout get stronger and lose another 10 lbs..

RipTraxx
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Why the hell cant TJ get his wake up call?

Marcus
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM

He's gotten plenty of them. He just hits the snooze button and goes back to sleep.

nunusguy
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Sometimes, a guy just needs a wake-up call.

I dunno maybe he bombed his LSAT ?

Texecutioner
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been hearing this stuff about Okam for like 3 straight years now. Wake me up when this huge improvement actually happens.

Insideop
08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I read this article on chron.com this morning. What bothers me about Okam is he seems to be one of those type of people/players who will have to stay on top of his weight/eating habits for the rest of his life. It will require a lot of discipline on his part and I'm not sure, at this point, if he has that or not. If he stays with it over the span of 2 or 3 years, especially during the off season, it could bode well for his health and career, not to mention the Texans D-line play. Time will tell. JMHO!

badboy
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I think Brice McCain should walk up to Okam and slap him silly then run using his 4.33 speed to stay just out of Frank's reach. After about ten minutes, as Okam hangs his head panting, McCain slips up behind him and kicks him in the butt. A few days of this and the NT will be at 310lbs and hopefully as mad as hell. My concern with this is when game one whistle blows, Okam will turn from the LOS and bull rush the corner and body slam the little guy who is so shocked that Okam could move that quickly.

TimeKiller
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been hearing this stuff about Okam for like 3 straight years now. Wake me up when this huge improvement actually happens.
This is the beginning of his 2nd season. The huge improvement just happened last Saturday!! Did you see Okam? He was on fire at times. That's a huge improvement over being inactive for 80% of the year. We'll see if it was real or not if that kind of play continues but there's no denying that was a leap for Okam.

I think Brice McCain should walk up to Okam and slap him silly then run using his 4.33 speed to stay just out of Frank's reach. After about ten minutes, as Okam hangs his head panting, McCain slips up behind him and kicks him in the butt. A few days of this and the NT will be at 310lbs and hopefully as mad as hell. My concern with this is when game one whistle blows, Okam will turn from the LOS and bull rush the corner and body slam the little guy who is so shocked that Okam could move that quickly.

Nice!

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
This is the beginning of his 2nd season. The huge improvement just happened last Saturday!! Did you see Okam? He was on fire at times. That's a huge improvement over being inactive for 80% of the year. We'll see if it was real or not if that kind of play continues but there's no denying that was a leap for Okam.

I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.

badboy
08-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.Like many college players going to NFL I think Frank figured he could just show up and place his large corpuscle in the main shipping lanes like a u-boat and be successful. Maybe he has come to realize it takes a wee bit more to kiss the Blarney Stone. If this guy actually becomes what many of us thought he could he could be as good or better than Raji. If so, this will be one of the better selections ever made by Texans. Shutting down the run would no longer be an issue.

badboy
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Like many college players going to NFL I think Frank figured he could just show up and place his large corpuscle in the main shipping lanes like a u-boat and be successful. Maybe he has come to realize it takes a wee bit more to kiss the Blarney Stone. If this guy actually becomes what many of us thought [/[B]B]he could he could be as good or better than Raji. If so, this will be one of the better selections ever made by Texans. Shutting down the run would no longer be an issue.
I don't think I have ever seen "he could he could" in a sentence. I amaze me.

TexansFanatic
08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.

Frank went through a number of defensive coordinators at Texas. He was asked to perform different functions under each DC.

Frank's last year was under Duane Akina who failed as DC and was demoted back to secondary coach after that one year.

I think Big Frank will do great in Bush's scheme.

Dan B.
08-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Okam's stats (http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/16/510140/frank-okam-setting-the-rec)by season:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/5811/Okam_College_Stats_2.JPG

He didn't really disappear. He just failed to live up to the lofty expectations of the average Longhorn fan. I went to UT. I root for the Horns in every game, in every sport. That being said, there might not be a fan base I loathe more than UT fans. They either love a guy, or hate him. They decide early. And nothing ever changes their mind.

Texecutioner
08-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Nice!

People have been trying to hype up Okam since college man, and he wasn't even dominant then. The guy is soft and lazy. He doesn't have that mean streak you want out of your DT's. Texas has had a reputation for having soft lineman for a while now. They've got great talent, but many of those guys lack a mean streak. Roy Miller wasn't that way last season, but Okam was his entire time at Texas.

Last season people tried hyping him up all over again saying how he was this great later round pick and how he would finally come into his own in the pros and he showed nothing. This is one pre season game. Just don't be surprised when the guy is a disappointment again. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've heard this stuff about Okam for 3 straight years and I'm not buying in until he actually does it.

Brisco_County
08-21-2009, 03:53 AM
That being said, there might not be a fan base I loathe more than UT fans. They either love a guy, or hate him. They decide early. And nothing ever changes their mind.

College kids are like that in general.

Brisco_County
08-21-2009, 04:05 AM
In the history of this franchise, has anyone ever seen a DT be as dominant as Okam was in that Kansas City game? If so, it probably wasn't with this roster.

That's what makes this the most important development of the preseason. Even if TJ gets another chance to win back his job, the odds are not in his favor.

barrett
08-21-2009, 04:17 AM
In the history of this franchise, has anyone ever seen a DT be as dominant as Okam was in that Kansas City game? If so, it probably wasn't with this roster.

This is exactly what I saw. Then answer is NO. I literally couldn't believe it. I have never seen anyone in a Texans uni on the interior blow up a play like that. Never. And he did it a few times.

But can he do it again? Will he do it do it consistently? MASSIVE questions remain for him but you can't deny that he could be very impressive. I'm maintaining my reservations until I see it at least in consecutive games.

I think he'll turn out to be a let down. But I'd love to be wrong.

Brisco_County
08-21-2009, 04:56 AM
This is exactly what I saw. Then answer is NO. I literally couldn't believe it. I have never seen anyone in a Texans uni on the interior blow up a play like that. Never. And he did it a few times.

So no, it hasn't ever happened. It has always eluded us, despite two first round picks that were supposed to address it. Then, the solution came from a potential fifth round bust-- an underachiever who, one day, decided to flip a switch.

But can he do it again? Will he do it do it consistently? MASSIVE questions remain for him but you can't deny that he could be very impressive. I'm maintaining my reservations until I see it at least in consecutive games.

I think he'll turn out to be a let down. But I'd love to be wrong.

With Okam, it's mental. The good news is that he has just experienced a breakthrough that will set his personal standards and goals. "Here's my level of play, and I need to achieve or surpass that in every game."

The idea of the Texans having an affective middle will be hard to get used to. It's like being told that we have a really good offensive line. Your first reaction is, "REALLY?" It takes a while to soak in.

barrett
08-21-2009, 05:11 AM
I'd wait to assume that he's "flipped a switch". You might want to check with some of the people who have watched him over the previous years at Texas. I would imagine that he was dominant in spurts there too. If I'm not mistaken that has always been the knock on him. "Sooooo much potential... but then what?"

I hope you're right.

Jackie Chiles
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Go put in the tape and watch our win against Tennessee last season, Deljuan Robinson had the best game any DT for the Texans has ever had including preseason and he did it against a top team with a top Oline. We don't win that game without him. Okam had a good preseason game but it doesn't even remotely compare imo.

Texan4Ever
08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but if Frank Okam continues to improve then I think it will make a BIG difference in Amobi Okoye's performance and will improve our LBs. Okam is like this big road block and if he can take on and fight double teams then that makes Okoye's job easier as well as keeps the linemen out of the LBs way freeing them up to make plays.

badboy
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but if Frank Okam continues to improve then I think it will make a BIG difference in Amobi Okoye's performance and will improve our LBs. Okam is like this big road block and if he can take on and fight double teams then that makes Okoye's job easier as well as keeps the linemen out of the LBs way freeing them up to make plays.Exactly and puts our potent offense back in the game for more points. If Okam resolves our "stopping the run" issue and Brown/Foster provides moving the chains offense and more scoring in the RZ, we should move up into the top 8 teams in Ws.

Even better if this happens and Smith/Barwin are successful, we can use our next draft to shore up DBs.

triplethreat
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
He's gotten plenty of them. He just hits the snooze button and goes back to sleep.

There is no snooze buttons on wake up calls silly...

Only on alarm clocks

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
There is no snooze buttons on wake up calls silly...

Only on alarm clocks

I thought the mixed metaphor was funny in and of itself.

TimeKiller
08-21-2009, 03:52 PM
People have been trying to hype up Okam since college man, and he wasn't even dominant then. The guy is soft and lazy. He doesn't have that mean streak you want out of your DT's. Texas has had a reputation for having soft lineman for a while now. They've got great talent, but many of those guys lack a mean streak. Roy Miller wasn't that way last season, but Okam was his entire time at Texas.
Last season people tried hyping him up all over again saying how he was this great later round pick and how he would finally come into his own in the pros and he showed nothing. This is one pre season game. Just don't be surprised when the guy is a disappointment again. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've heard this stuff about Okam for 3 straight years and I'm not buying in until he actually does it.
He didn't make a difference as a 5th round rookie at DT? Couldn't have guessed that would've happened. Better completely write him off, especially while staring change in the face. Working off the weight, showing up big in the game...what more could you possibly ask? Consistency? Sure, I'll grant everyone that but give credit where credit is due. I'm not trying to put him in the HOF here, I'm just praising the best game I've ever seen a Texan DT have.

infantrycak
08-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm just praising the best game I've ever seen a Texan DT have.

He had a good game and gave reason for optimism. IMO Seth Payne had several better games. Prior to the New Orleans game in 2003 Payne was a force in the middle.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 04:07 PM
He didn't make a difference as a 5th round rookie at DT? Couldn't have guessed that would've happened. Better completely write him off, especially while staring change in the face. Working off the weight, showing up big in the game...what more could you possibly ask? Consistency? Sure, I'll grant everyone that but give credit where credit is due. I'm not trying to put him in the HOF here, I'm just praising the best game I've ever seen a Texan DT have.

All I'm saying is that it's one pre season game. Okam has always had the talent and ability, but if he was never even that great in college or showed much last season, then there is really no reason to think he's going to do much this season. Not for me any way. I've watched him very closely for years being an avid Texas fan, and I've just never been impressed with the guy. I think most DT's need to be really mean and ruthless on the line like a Sapp, Randy White, Sean Rogers, and Haynesworth type. Okam is a softy.

I hear different things like this about players all over the NFL every season about how their finally in great shape and lost a ton of weight, and all of these great things, but for a guy that I've been waiting to really turn it on for like 3 years now, sorry but my confidence in him is completely shook. I don't think he has the mentality to want to be a great player and to run over O lineman and put fear into their hearts. Some people have that mentality and some people don't.

It would be great and a very pleasant surprise for him to prove me wrong and make me eat my words. I'd love nothing more than for that to happen, but I won't hold my breath.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
He had a good game and gave reason for optimism. IMO Seth Payne had several better games. Prior to the New Orleans game in 2003 Payne was a force in the middle.

Yeah Payne was a pretty nice player. If he hadn't had so many injuries while here it would have been really nice to see what Payne could have done. I really liked Seth Payne while he was here when he was healthy.

Thorn
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess we'll find out more tomorrow night. NO has a heck of a better offense that KC.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess we'll find out more tomorrow night. NO has a heck of a better offense that KC.

We won't find out until several games into the regular season. I don't care what kind of a beast Okam might look like against a few back ups or guys in pre season.

This is starting to remind me of how everyone went ga ga over Vernan Morency in pre season in Kubiak's first year when Morency had those two long runs and people thought he was going to be some great back for us, or when Jacoby Jones went off in pre season and people thought he was the next Andre Johnson. It's pre season, and there are guys every year on every team that start to look like studs.

disaacks3
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM

:spit:

young veteran backup players...from the original piece Cloak referenced. Those four words just sound weird together.

TheRealJoker
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Go put in the tape and watch our win against Tennessee last season, Deljuan Robinson had the best game any DT for the Texans has ever had including preseason and he did it against a top team with a top Oline. We don't win that game without him. Okam had a good preseason game but it doesn't even remotely compare imo.

Dont forget Amobi's clutch stop on 4th and 1 against Lendale White. That was his best play last season and left a glimmer of hope during an otherwise lackluster sophomore season.

dalemurphy
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
We won't find out until several games into the regular season. I don't care what kind of a beast Okam might look like against a few back ups or guys in pre season.

This is starting to remind me of how everyone went ga ga over Vernan Morency in pre season in Kubiak's first year when Morency had those two long runs and people thought he was going to be some great back for us, or when Jacoby Jones went off in pre season and people thought he was the next Andre Johnson. It's pre season, and there are guys every year on every team that start to look like studs.

Thank God there is someone to remind us that preseason and the regular season are different. Man, I was really unclear about that. I just assume that a team that has a winning record in preseason will also be good in the regular season... apparently that isn't always the case?! wow!:gun:

Everyone participating in this thread realizes that it's "only preseason". Can we just all agree to not post that anymore, please? What's ironic is that those of you that keep reminding the rest of us that fact, only do it to temper enthusiasm. When people say they're concerned about Amobi's performance in the first game, or the secondary's performance, where is your post saying "it's only preseason and I won't believe there is a problem for a few more weeks"?

badboy
08-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Thank God there is someone to remind us that preseason and the regular season are different. Man, I was really unclear about that. I just assume that a team that has a winning record in preseason will also be good in the regular season... apparently that isn't always the case?! wow!:gun:

Everyone participating in this thread realizes that it's "only preseason". Can we just all agree to not post that anymore, please? What's ironic is that those of you that keep reminding the rest of us that fact, only do it to temper enthusiasm. When people say they're concerned about Amobi's performance in the first game, or the secondary's performance, where is your post saying "it's only preseason and I won't believe there is a problem for a few more weeks"?Preseason is just that and regular season is well regular season. And then there is potential...

I just want to be considered part of this conversation...oops just noticed it is time to go home. I will bring more thoughtful reflection next week. Until then just let me say we should take this one game at a time...

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 05:25 PM

Everyone participating in this thread realizes that it's "only preseason". Can we just all agree to not post that anymore, please? What's ironic is that those of you that keep reminding the rest of us that fact, only do it to temper enthusiasm. When people say they're concerned about Amobi's performance in the first game, or the secondary's performance, where is your post saying "it's only preseason and I won't believe there is a problem for a few more weeks"?

What are you even talking about? You're just hammering random stuff out there as usual when someone's not being overly as optimistic as you are. Don't jump down my throat because I'm not buying into Okam as being some highly improved player this year. He's in the same boat as Travis Johnson as far as I'm concerned until he proves otherwise in the season. Just because you think every single Houston Texan is due for a great season out of homerism, don't get all starky with me simply because I don't get all giddy over one game in a pre season over a guy I've been watching very closely for several years and have had high hopes for each of those years, and finally threw in the towel on that optimism. Actually last season I was very optimistic that maybe Okam would finally wake up after being a 5th rounder when he was hyped up for like 3 years in college where he was expected to be a big time NFL prospect, but he didn't do it last season, so I'll wait and see on him for now on. I'm not going to sit here and scream for joy just to please you because of one pre season game against such a HOF O line like the Chiefs.

dalemurphy
08-21-2009, 05:36 PM
What are you even talking about? You're just hammering random stuff out there as usual when someone's not being overly as optimistic as you are. Don't jump down my throat because I'm not buying into Okam as being some highly improved player this year. He's in the same boat as Travis Johnson as far as I'm concerned until he proves otherwise in the season. Just because you think every single Houston Texan is due for a great season out of homerism, don't get all starky with me simply because I don't get all giddy over one game in a pre season over a guy I've been watching very closely for several years and have had high hopes for each of those years, and finally threw in the towel on that optimism. Actually last season I was very optimistic that maybe Okam would finally wake up after being a 5th rounder when he was hyped up for like 3 years in college where he was expected to be a big time NFL prospect, but he didn't do it last season, so I'll wait and see on him for now on. I'm not going to sit here and scream for joy just to please you because of one pre season game against such a HOF O line like the Chiefs.

Nobody is asking you to "scream for joy". I just don't think you add anything to the conversation by saying "it's preseason and I'm skeptical". Everyone knows that on both counts. I am skeptical of Okam as well. My posts about his performance were specifically about the fact that he just stood up out of his stance on multiple plays. My problem with you is your constant need to squash enthusiasm of others. If the most insightful thing you have to offer is "it's preseason", then perhaps not posting anything is a better way to go.

On the other hand, if you have a fresh insight or concern, then I'm sure many of us would like to read it. Your characterisation of me as a dooey-eyed homer is pretty far off the mark:

vinny complains that I'm too critical of Chester Pitts. Everyone thinks I'm too critical of Casey Studdard. I've been very critical of Ryan Moats. I don't want Cato June to make the team, I loath Brandon Harrison's game and I was one of the first to call for the removal of Richard Smith.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Nobody is asking you to "scream for joy". I just don't think you add anything to the conversation by saying "it's preseason and I'm skeptical". Everyone knows that on both counts. I am skeptical of Okam as well. My posts about his performance were specifically about the fact that he just stood up out of his stance on multiple plays. My problem with you is your constant need to squash enthusiasm of others. If the most insightful thing you have to offer is "it's preseason", then perhaps not posting anything is a better way to go.

Apparently you haven't read my posts then. I made one post early on in the thread and then was quoted and responded to for what my thoughts were. I then responded myself. It wasn't an irrational discussion until you chimed in with your typical starky remarks actually Dale. And don't sit here and act like I didn't provide anything to the discussion other than saying "it's pre season" because you either are to lazy to read the entire thread where I mentioned plenty of things about him in college which is all there was to judge by before he even came to the team since it's only his 2nd season which hasn't even started.

On the other hand, if you have a fresh insight or concern, then I'm sure many of us would like to read it. Your characterisation of me as a dooey-eyed homer is pretty far off the mark:

Try actually reading the thread then, instead of using one line of mine then. And just because you don't agree, don't sit here and say I or anyone else didn't offer any insight. I've actually been a fan of Okam for years because he's a Longhorn which pretty much makes me a fan of all Longhorns since that's been my team ever since I could watch football so I've watched Okam very closely since he was at Texas.

vinny complains that I'm too critical of Chester Pitts. Everyone thinks I'm too critical of Casey Studdard. I've been very critical of Ryan Moats. I don't want Cato June to make the team, I loath Brandon Harrison's game and I was one of the first to call for the removal of Richard Smith.

Well woopty doo, there's a few Texan players you actually don't think our pro bowl material. I firmly remember you last season jumping down my throat before the season for not being optimistic on Jacque Reeves either when we first got him from Dallas. Reeves didn't exactly have a pro bowl season for us either last season while trying to find the ball every single game.

The fact of the matter is that if you've watched Okam closely at all for any period of time in his career in college after his sophmore year where he got all hyped up as "The Nightmare," and graced the cover of ESPN magazine, then you wouldn't be getting all chippy simply because someone isn't buying into the hype with Okam going into the season and is taking a wait and see approach. When Okam proves me wrong, then I'll gladly eat my words and jump for joy because that will make me one happy fan, but again I'm not holding my breath.

DexmanC
08-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I've just read thru 3 screens o Okam bashing, and the chief Texans Pessimist has yet to post. Have ya'll heard from Coogbull? I wonder how he thinks this latest draft is panning out.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I've just read thru 3 screens o Okam bashing, and the chief Texans Pessimist has yet to post. Have ya'll heard from Coogbull? I wonder how he thinks this latest draft is panning out.

How has it been 3 screens of Okam bashing? Most people in here have had positive posts regarding Okam in this thread. I hope that they're right, but there's no need to call out other posters just to do it when they haven't even posted anything. I've been mainly the only guy thus far in this thread that hasn't been optimistic as far as Okam and maybe one other person. Everyone else seems to be high on the guy.

Thorn
08-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Killjoy. Why don't you just take a blow torch to my beer? LOL

I'm not upset by the way. We all bees nothing but fans with different ways of looking at things. About the particular subject at hand though, any improvement on the interior defense line is good, I wouldn't knock it.

DexmanC
08-21-2009, 06:59 PM
How has it been 3 screens of Okam bashing? Most people in here have had positive posts regarding Okam in this thread. I hope that they're right, but there's no need to call out other posters just to do it when they haven't even posted anything. I've been mainly the only guy thus far in this thread that hasn't been optimistic as far as Okam and maybe one other person. Everyone else seems to be high on the guy.

I wasn't callin' the brotha out; in fact, I think he has a way with getting homers and naysayers alike to check themselves with his perspective.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2009, 07:13 PM

But, but, but, Okam doesn't need to hang on to a ball.............and he's bigger, too!:D

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Killjoy. Why don't you just take a blow torch to my beer? LOL

I'm not upset by the way. We all bees nothing but fans with different ways of looking at things. About the particular subject at hand though, any improvement on the interior defense line is good, I wouldn't knock it.

Fire to your beer Thorn!! :spit:

Agree with you there. Any improvement we can get is great. We need it because our secondary is well, do we have a secondary???? :spit:

I'm more hoping that Okoye can turn into a beast actually since we're paying him the bucks. He's the guy with the real high ceiling any way.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I wasn't callin' the brotha out; in fact, I think he has a way with getting homers and naysayers alike to check themselves with his perspective.

Nah, it's all good man. We all hope that Okam improves a lot.

Thorn
08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Nah, it's all good man. We all hope that Okam improves a lot.

If Okam actually pans out, and isn't a one pre-season hit wonder, we're looking at a darn good line. We'll see. Like I said, NO is a better test than KC will ever be. And the Vikings, a good running team, is another good test.

Texecutioner
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
If Okam actually pans out, and isn't a one pre-season hit wonder, we're looking at a darn good line. We'll see. Like I said, NO is a better test than KC will ever be. And the Vikings, a good running team, is another good test.

Yeah, NO looked damn good in their first pre season game when their first stringers were in. Vilma was all over the place like a mad man. NO will definitely be a better test. When is that game any way? Saturday?

Yeah if he does pan out and Okoye could go back to his rookie form but with improvements we could have a damn good D line. That's two big what if's though, but hey it could happen. If we could just have one of our DT's improve drastically I'll be happy with that. We'll most likely still be moving Smith inside at times any way.

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
The Sage of Hampton has been awakened and may make an appearance.

Okam's development will be ongoing, and last week was the first time we were able to measure him in-game against last year's work. Pre-season or not, folks are intrigued by what they saw.

gary
08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm nor high or low on Okam I just hope he continues to show improvment each week but I am not going to hold my breath on him untill I hear the CBS guys call his name more often.

Brisco_County
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
As you already know, preseason is a time when people are in a desperate frenzy to extrapolate meaning out of just about anything. We're starved for football, but the games we're watching are meaningless.

That being said, Okam's performance was not in any way conclusive, but it was significant.

I'm very eager for the N.O. game tomorrow.

Texecutioner
08-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Boy this thread sure got quiet after yesterday's game. Anyone think Okam was a beast again????? :foottap:

Brisco_County
08-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Boy this thread sure got quiet after yesterday's game. Anyone think Okam was a beast again????? :foottap:

Thanks for drawing attention to it. I've already lost enough street cred.

TheRealJoker
08-24-2009, 01:56 AM

Okam didn't get manhandled but he was taken advantage of on counter plays when he tried to plug the wrong hole. Lots of young DL have the problem of ball awareness, only way to get rid of it is more reps.

Brisco_County
08-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Okam didn't get manhandled but he was taken advantage of on counter plays when he tried to plug the wrong hole. Lots of young DL have the problem of ball awareness, only way to get rid of it is more reps.

I hope experience really is the issue, but he also got pushed around.

TheRealJoker
08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope experience really is the issue, but he also got pushed around.

Its a big difference between plugging the wrong hole then losing the leverage battle when attempting to pursue the running back post cutback then just being driven off the ball and into the ground multiple times as soon as the QB hikes the ball.

If Okam had chosen the correct hole to drop anchor in I highly doubt he'd be manhandled by too many OL in the league.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2009, 10:56 AM

What about Robison, Okoye, Cody and the other DT's? You can't single Okam out just for the sake of being correct in a thread. They all equally sucked!

SAMURAITEXAN
08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't know if Okam can be a good DL or not. Sometimes I can see his protential sometimes not. However, this is what his second year and last year he was over weight. I say give Okam some experience before you judge on him.

GO TEXANS!!

Texecutioner
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
What about Robison, Okoye, Cody and the other DT's? You can't single Okam out just for the sake of being correct in a thread. They all equally sucked!

I never said that any of the other DT's played well. They didn't. It continues to be a reoccuring problem. I'm just reiterating the fact that Okam isn't going to be the answer to our problems there. I wish he would, but he's got way to much potential to have fallen short this many seasons in a row now up until this point. I'm not worried about Okam though, because I won't expect much.

It's Okoye that I'm ticked about. We spent a really early draft pick on the guy, and he's what's worrying me. He's the guy getting paid first round pick money.

badboy
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
What about Robison, Okoye, Cody and the other DT's? You can't single Okam out just for the sake of being correct in a thread. They all equally sucked!Our linebackers did not do much either to slow the run. I am really hoping I was wrong about prefering a DT in first round rather than OLB. Cushing not being able to play is not helping my anxiety. Bentley on the other hand continues be around the ball & that is good. I still believe LBs are going to be real good against the run. Too bad they will have to be.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Our linebackers did not do much either to slow the run. I am really hoping I was wrong about prefering a DT in first round rather than OLB. Cushing not being able to play is not helping my anxiety. Bentley on the other hand continues be around the ball & that is good. I still believe LBs are going to be real good against the run. Too bad they will have to be.Its hard to flow to the ball when your DT's are sieves.