PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld: Texans waive Nolan, Grigsby, and McClover

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
No source cited (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU).

Apparently all three are headed for IR once they clear waivers... I suspect Grigsby and McClover will get an injury settlement and be released outright at some point... but Nolan will be stashed on IR for the year.

I did a quick entry about it here (http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=5819), also.

I guess they'll also have to make a cut to make room for Molden returning from the PUP, no?

ChampionTexan
08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
No source cited (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU).

I did a quick entry about it here (http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=5819), also.

I guess they'll also have to make a cut to make room for Molden returning from the PUP, no?

Nope (thankfully) - the active (pre-season) PUP guys still count against the 80 man roster-limit, so Molden's already accounted for, and won't require a roster cut.

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Ah, yes - I knew there was some kind of rule about that. Thanks.

El Tejano
08-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Apparently all three are headed for IR once they clear waivers... I suspect Grigsby and McClover will get an injury settlement and be released outright at some point... but Nolan will be stashed on IR for the year.

McClover is the DL right?

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
McClover is the DL right?

Yes, he was a draft pick of the Panthers, but could never stay healthy.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I never really thought Grigsby would make the final roster, but it sucks it had to end this way. He seems like great guy.

Hervoyel
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Pity about McClover. I had high hopes for him.

El Tejano
08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I never really thought Grigsby would make the final roster, but it sucks it had to end this way. He seems like great guy.

Hey you never know. Maybe a roster spot opens up later and this dude can get signed back on. Hopefully that never happens because it means someonelse got hurt but if someonelse gets waived to make room for him that could be a good thing too.

TexansSeminole
08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
First Harrison, now Nolan. Seems like our late round safeties are jinxed. I was more excited to see what Nolan could do than I ever was with Harrison or Barber.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
First Harrison, now Nolan. Seems like our late round safeties are jinxed. I was more excited to see what Nolan could do than I ever was with Harrison or Barber.

Other than the fact he sucks, what's wrong with Harrison? :thinking:

TimeKiller
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Tough luck for Nolan. Seminole is right about looking for him to be a player rather than Harrison or Barber. Or Harrison.

m5kwatts
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Does anybody know if Jeremiah Johnson successfully passed through waivers and onto our IR list?

TimeKiller
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Too...too....

TALL!!! :kingkong:

TexansSeminole
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Well I do agree that he sucks, but what I was referring to was their rookie years. I remember hearing good things about Harrison and then he got injured early in his rookie year. I was looking forward to Nolan but he too is injured early in the season.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Well I do agree that he sucks, but what I was referring to was their rookie years. I remember hearing good things about Harrison and then he got injured early in his rookie year. I was looking forward to Nolan but he too is injured early in the season.

Ah, gotcha

Unlike a few, I like Barber. I think he's got the size of a prototypical safety.

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Does anybody know if Jeremiah Johnson successfully passed through waivers and onto our IR list?

Yes - I emailed Nick Scurfield at HT.com this same question a few days ago and he says he is on IR, it just hasn't been updated to say so yet.

KMG 365
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Yes, Johnson cleared waivers and is now on IR.

TexansSeminole
08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Ah, gotcha

Unlike a few, I like Barber. I think he's got the size of a prototypical safety.

I think Barber has potential. He didn't play all that well last year, but from what I hear he is working very hard right now, so he should only improve. He has a big shot to grab a starting role due to the weakness of the group. Kind of like how CC Brown became a starter.

ObsiWan
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, Johnson cleared waivers and is now on IR.

I suspect that's what will happen to Nolan too. Grigsby can't go on the PS. But I think he'll be back. I think the guy they signed is a placeholder while Grigsby is on the mend.
from HT.com....
Texans notes: With fullback Boomer Grigsby expected to be out for at least four to five weeks, the team signed fullback Jonathan Evans to provide additional depth. Evans signed with the Cowboys out of Baylor in 2005 and has bounced around the league with stints on various teams and practice squads. Evans most recently spent time on the Washington Redskins' roster….the addition of Evans will not change the playing time picture at fullback by tight end James Casey. Kubiak said that Casey will still take reps at fullback provided that he doesn't fall behind at his primary position of tight end.

Seems like I recall they pulled Boomer in to play special teams and FB. I think he'll be back.

ObsiWan
08-18-2009, 07:58 PM

When do they HAVE to declare these things? Only T.J. and Molden are still listed on IR according to today's HT.com roster.
Probably not until the cut date in Sept, huh?

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I suspect that's what will happen to Nolan too. Grigsby can't go on the PS. But I think he'll be back. I think the guy they signed is a placeholder while Grigsby is on the mend.
from HT.com....

Seems like I recall they pulled Boomer in to play special teams and FB. I think he'll be back.

He can't come back if the report is true... because the report says he'll be put on injured reserve. He could only come back if the Texans did an injury settlement with him and he signed with another team.

Now - if the report is wrong and they're just releasing him outright - then yeah, he could be back. This new term "waived/injured" is causing a lot of confusion.

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 08:11 PM
When do they HAVE to declare these things? Only T.J. and Molden are still listed on IR according to today's HT.com roster.

TJ and Molden are on the PUP list, not the injured reserve list. Nick from HT.com said it's just an oversight that Jeremiah isn't on there yet. It should be fixed any day now.

ChampionTexan
08-18-2009, 08:16 PM

Technically, it's not IR, it's "Active PUP", and T.J.'s the only one left on it, as Molden came off yesterday. The deadline on getting him (T.J.) off there is the cut to 53. At that time, he will either have to be:

Included on the 53 man roster
Put on the "Reserve PUP" list and miss the first 6 weeks of the season
Put on I.R. and miss the entire season. (Although they'd likely put him on the Reserve PUP first.)
Released

KMG 365
08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Technically, it's not IR, it's "Active PUP", and T.J.'s the only one left on it, as Molden came off yesterday. The deadline on getting him (T.J.) off there is the cut to 53. At that time, he will either have to be:

Included on the 53 man roster
Put on the "Reserve PUP" list and miss the first 6 weeks of the season
Put on I.R. and miss the entire season. (Although they'd likely put him on the Reserve PUP first.)
Released

I'll make a prediction and say the Texans will eventually put TJ on IR and he'll miss the entire season. That way he'll still get paid and we'll cut ties with him during the offseason.

m5kwatts
08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I'll make a prediction and say the Texans will eventually put TJ on IR and he'll miss the entire season. That way he'll still get paid and we'll cut ties with him during the offseason.

What no? TJ is busting it to get back on the field and be ready week 1. If the plan was to cut ties it would've happened already. As much as well all disagree with it, the Texans see TJ as a contributer this year and could possibly be starting week 1.

texanfan2002114
08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
TJ and Molden are on the PUP list, not the injured reserve list. Nick from HT.com said it's just an oversight that Jeremiah isn't on there yet. It should be fixed any day now.

Molden was activated from the PUP list yesterday.

"As thin as the Texans' secondary has looked at times during training camp, cornerback Antwaun Molden's return was a bright spot on a cloudy day of practice.
“He looked really good, and we're really happy to get him back in the mix,” defensive coordinator Frank Bush said Monday. “We're still just easing him into it, but we did get to see his natural reactions to some things outside of the usual drills, and he handled it well.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6576339.html

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Molden was activated from the PUP list yesterday.

"As thin as the Texans' secondary has looked at times during training camp, cornerback Antwaun Molden's return was a bright spot on a cloudy day of practice.
“He looked really good, and we're really happy to get him back in the mix,” defensive coordinator Frank Bush said Monday. “We're still just easing him into it, but we did get to see his natural reactions to some things outside of the usual drills, and he handled it well.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6576339.html

Yeah, I know - I'm saying on the Texans site - Molden and TJ are still on the PUP list. It's not updated. Just like it's not yet updated that Jeremiah is on the IR.

DiehardChris
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Now they've updated that Molden is off the PUP. Grigsby and McClover are still on the roster, but Nolan is not.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
From the HT.com Transactions list...

8/18:
Signed free agent QB Alex Brink, LB Khary Campbell and FB Jonathan Evans. Placed S Troy Nolan on the reserve/injured list

8/06:
Signed RB Andre Hall and CB Deltha O'Neal. Released DT Jake Visser and waived/injured RB Jeremiah Johnson.

What does "waived/injured" mean??
And Nolan isn't on the roster anywhere... why not?

GP
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Waived/injured is a special designation for when you waive a person due to injury (not for poor performance, or other subjective criteria).

'Waived injured' means the team is releasing the player but the player is injured. The team is responsible to pay the player until his injury has healed. This is usually done by reaching an agreement for a specific amount of money, called an injury settlement. Other teams are allowed to pick up players on the waived injured list but they are forewarned that the player is not in condition to play. Sometimes, if a player on the waived injured list is not selected by another team, the team will retain the player and place him on its injured reserve list.

beerlover
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM

When a player is placed on waived-injured status, he has to pass through waivers and can be claimed by another team. If the player is not claimed by another team, the player reverts to the original team's injured reserve (IR) list and will receive full pay for that season if an injury settlement is not reached or is not a desired option. The player does not count against the preseason or regular season roster limit.

- Alan Burge, aka AJ - Texans beat writer for Houston Examiner

DiehardChris
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM

It just hasn't been updated yet. I emailed them and asked the same questions. Troy Nolan and Jeremiah Johnson are both on our IR list, I was told.

DiehardChris
08-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Waived/injured is a special designation for when you waive a person due to injury (not for poor performance, or other subjective criteria).

'Waived injured' means the team is releasing the player but the player is injured. The team is responsible to pay the player until his injury has healed. This is usually done by reaching an agreement for a specific amount of money, called an injury settlement. Other teams are allowed to pick up players on the waived injured list but they are forewarned that the player is not in condition to play. Sometimes, if a player on the waived injured list is not selected by another team, the team will retain the player and place him on its injured reserve list.

Also "waived/injured" means the player with that designation will land on IR when they clear waivers.