PDA

View Full Version : Brink Re-signed

HOU-TEX
08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
As we all expected.

Texans have re-signed quarterback Alex Brink to replace the injured Rex Grossman.

Brink was the Texans' seventh-round draft choice in 2007. He was on the roster last season and was waived in the offseason after Grossman was signed.

Grossman is expected to miss four to five weeks with a pull hamstring he suffered in Saturday's preseason opener against Kansas City.

The Texans' top two quarterbacks are starter Matt Schaub and backup Dan Orlovsky.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6575660.html

badboy
08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
As we all expected.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6575660.htmlNo real surprise here but I think Smith will be watching wire.

Ryan
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
i'm shocked.:user:

Thorn
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
As I said elsewhere, having Brink is probably a better option than Grossman anyway. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Grossman gets healthy.

Malloy
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
As I said elsewhere, having Brink is probably a better option than Grossman anyway. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Grossman gets healthy.

Im guessing released...

painekiller
08-17-2009, 02:58 PM

He'll get an injury settlement, released ,and then he might be available later in the year if needed.

76Texan
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
No wonder Brink was still in town and dining with Brisiel!
Maybe he went to a psychic! :cool: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Buffi2
08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Or maybe he saw Grossman in training camp. :smiliedance:

76Texan
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Or maybe he saw Grossman in training camp. :smiliedance:

LOL, LOL! You're right!

TimeKiller
08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Championship!

76Texan
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
19-0! :kingkong:

Yankee_In_TX
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Yay - one heck of a bowler.

Brisco_County
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Has anyone ever seen him play in a game before? If he plays next week, I'm sure he'd look better than Grossman did.

Thorn
08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Has anyone ever seen him play in a game before? If he plays next week, I'm sure he'd look better than Grossman did.

He was almost OK last year, but I thought Boyd was a better 3rd stringer than Brink. But I'll take Brink over Grossman as far as the 3rd string QB goes.

Jackie Chiles
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
He gets us through camp/preseason and we start the season with two QBs on the roster as usual. Could have started with three if Grossman had been healthy and showed something, I don't see us keeping Brink on the active roster though.

76Texan
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
He was almost OK last year, but I thought Boyd was a better 3rd stringer than Brink. But I'll take Brink over Grossman as far as the 3rd string QB goes.

If we can combine Boyd and Brink, we'd have quite good a QB.

Boyd is quick on his feet and is a good runner.
If we carry 3 QBs, it's good to have a guy like that on the roster.

But in the long term, I believe Brink has more potential to develop into "more" of a complete QB.

He was quite streaky in college.
I think he completed 23 straight in one game, including some long ones.

He's not the runner Boyd is, but he might be better on his feet than Sage.

Thorn
08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
There'll be 3 QBs around at all times, even if one is on the practice squad. Since Grossman was signed, and is not eligable for the practice squad, that tells me Kubiac was planning on 3 QBs on the active roster. That's probably one reason for all this talk we've been having about players playing multiple positions.

Is Brink good enough to be on the active roster? Well, if Grossman was, Brink is. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

DiehardChris
08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Unless I'm missing something, we should be learning about two cuts now, right? With Campbell and Brink both signing... wonder who's gone?

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Unless I'm missing something, we should be learning about two cuts now, right? With Campbell and Brink both signing... wonder who's gone?

Harrison for sure.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I just still have visions of Brink in the last 2008 preseason game.............4 for 17, and an interception. If he shows similar stats his next showing, I will be praying not only for Schaub's, but also for Orlovsky's good health.:headhurts:

m5kwatts
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I just still have visions of Brink in the last 2008 preseason game.............4 for 17, and an interception. If he shows similar stats his next showing, I will be praying not only for Schaub's, but also for Orlovsky's good health.:headhurts:

I don't think Schaub's planned snaps will be altered by this even if it means putting Casey or Owen back there at QB and running option. If Brink is just awful or gets hurt its Orlovsky getting overtime, once Schaub puts that cap on he's done.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2009, 07:16 AM
I don't think Schaub's planned snaps will be altered by this even if it means putting Casey or Owen back there at QB and running option. If Brink is just awful or gets hurt its Orlovsky getting overtime, once Schaub puts that cap on he's done.
I was referring to going into the regular season with Brink at 3.

aj.
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Nolan was waived-injured yesterday. Brink's contract hadn't made it through the league office as of late last night. Expect something this morning - along with the other shoe to fall. Grossman or McClover would be my guess.

gtexan02
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Troy Nolan was released already? That was a wasted draft choice. I really wish they would have gone with that liberty RB now. No way to validate passing at this point. I was kind of excited about Nolans potential

HOU-TEX
08-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Troy Nolan was released already? That was a wasted draft choice. I really wish they would have gone with that liberty RB now. No way to validate passing at this point. I was kind of excited about Nolans potential

I would think he's going to be IR'd.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2009, 12:50 PM

He'll be IR'd. I wouldn't consider him a total waste just yet.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
He'll be IR'd. I wouldn't consider him a total waste just yet.

Yeah, Kubiak hasn't cut one of his draft picks in their first year. I think he'll have to clear waivers before being IR'd

aj.
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Not released. Waived-Injured.

If he clears waivers (he most likely will), he will revert back to the Texans and go on IR and his four year deal would remain intact. He would get full pay this year while on IR.

They could also reach a settlement and outright release him - in which case he would become a free agent, but I'm guessing they'll carry him on IR this year.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Kubiak hasn't cut one of his draft picks in their first year. I think he'll have to clear waivers before being IR'd

Exactly. They've waived him. When he clears waivers, they'll IR him.

badboy
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Seems Texans have been fairly successful with 6th & 7h round selections. One of our 6s went for Myers If I remember correctly & that has been pretty good. Nolan intrigues me & could have a future here. See stats for 2007 & 2008
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/troy-nolan?id=71415

10 INTS and 4 TDs with another TD off a fumble. He does know his way to the ball and the end zone.