brown could be a shock and he will be fun to watch
heck as long as brown is healthy ill be happy

if we gota pick a back as of now moats will be behind slaton

untell we get to the redzone and let brown carry the gang

vote and post what yall think

i voted neather as of right now

Fox
08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
If they're both healthy, it's Brown for me, hands down. You can plug in Moats and the offense will keep churning, but Brown's physical style of play is a better compliment to Slaton, IMO, as well as being more suited to dictating the pace of the game to the D.

m5kwatts
08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Brown's running impressed me most but the fumble docks him some points.... I think Brown's size makes him the better compliment to Steve... both guys ran very well though

hradhak
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
If they're both healthy, it's Brown for me, hands down. You can plug in Moats and the offense will keep churning, but Brown's physical style of play is a better compliment to Slaton, IMO, as well as being more suited to dictating the pace of the game to the D.

Moats had a few big runs which probably helped his average. But I think this is a good problem to have. I'm hoping that we can use Moats to rest Slaton since they have similar running styles.

pbat488
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Don't look at the averages... first think about what defense each player was playing against for the most part.. Brown vs the Chief's starting D, Moats vs the Chief's second/third stringers.

Carr Bombed
08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
If Brown is healthy, moats doesn't have a shot to be the #2 back. Moats is just a smaller, slower, and less talented Steve Slaton. Brown actually brings something different to the backfield with his size....he's a nice compliment to Slaton.

Ben Frank
08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I picked non until I can get a better look at the 2.. but I have to admit.. Brown seemed like the power back we needed.. and I hope he can stay healty.. cuz if he play's the way he did in yesterday game.. our Red Zone TD's will improve immediately.. he look's a lot bigger than Moats

Hervoyel
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Moats has been consistently underrated since he got here but he's really the better "Slaton backup" of the two. Brown is clearly the better "Slaton alternative" and I don't see how anyone else displaces either of these two on the roster provided that Brown stays healthy and Moats continues to perform as Slaton's understudy.

Hervoyel
08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Brown's running impressed me most but the fumble docks him some points.... I think Brown's size makes him the better compliment to Steve... both guys ran very well though

I thought about that too but then when you look at it the guy hasn't had any real contact since 2007 and he was playing for the first time in a rain storm. Finally that tackler put his helmet right on the ball and it's not like Brown was swinging it out there like a loaf of bread. I have to give him a pass on that. He did everything right and the defender just made a turnover happen. I give the KC player a thumbs up for making a play and at the same time I'm happy to see that Brown can still take off and go. He'll improve as he gets more reps in preseason games.

He might be the one back on our roster who needs them most. Unfortunately he's also the one back on our roster I'm cringing over every time he gets hit because I'm afraid he'll get injured again.

Carr Bombed
08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Moats has been consistently underrated since he got here but he's really the better "Slaton backup" of the two. Brown is clearly the better "Slaton alternative" and I don't see how anyone else displaces either of these two on the roster provided that Brown stays healthy and Moats continues to perform as Slaton's understudy.

Funny, I always thought Moats gets overrated on this board. 94 yards, 1 TD, and a 3.6 ypc average for a backup RB is nothing to write home about. It's one position on the team that we REALLY need to get better production out of....hopefully a healthy Brown (and I know that's asking alot) will do that.

Thorn
08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Have to give the nod to Brown right now, but I still want to see Foster play. There's been to many nice things said about him by folks that have been to the open practices, and it's got my curiosity peeked about him.

I don't think Brown will stay healthy the whole year, he never did for the Titans, so why would the Texans be any different? I think for this year it'll be Brown when he's usable, and either Moats or Foster after that.

gary
08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll go with Moats because Brown made one mistake and an NFL player shouldn't ever fumble the football even though it was just a great play by the defender. Therefore Brown stinks and should be cut right this instant. NFL players should always be perfect LMHO. Both of them looked good but I want to more of them and Foster run as well before I choose who should be the number two back behind Slaton for the season.

HouSportsWriter
08-16-2009, 08:11 PM
i think its would be a good idea to have moats take alot more reps next week

see if he is a stud you never know

*edit*

this is my best thread yet =o

Wolf6151
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
It was only the 1st preseason game against a really bad Chiefs team, it's way to early to decide who'll be Slaton's backup. If they're both healthy to start the season then I'd have Brown as #2 behind Slaton for as long as possible so that the team can get as much out of Brown as possible before he goes down with injury. You know it's coming. Then Moats will be #2 behind Slaton probably after game 2 or 3.

Speedy
08-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I absolutely refuse to get excited about Chris "breaks like glass" Brown when he's a hangnail away from his season ending. Not gonna do it. It'd be nice if he could stay healthy, but I'm not believing it 'til I see it.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
This is just the first game.

I think Brown is definitely the better back of the two but he's got to make it out of pre-season.

Like someone else said, I see Moats as an adequate backup to Slaton because he does a lot of the same things that Slaton does just not as well. But Brown is a totally different animal and when he's healthy, he's a beast and he's our second back. When Eddie George retired, I really expected Brown to step in and be a monster in that offense, but it never happened.

I just have to see Brown get out of the pre-season and I'd like for him to play more than a couple of games.

ObsiWan
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll go with Moats because Brown made one mistake and an NFL player shouldn't ever fumble the football even though it was just a great play by the defender. Therefore Brown stinks and should be cut right this instant. NFL players should always be perfect LMHO. Both of them looked good but I want to more of them and Foster run as well before I choose who should be the number two back behind Slaton for the season.

Gary the Merciless has spoken!
It's a good thing Schaub went 7 for 7 or he'd be gone too.
:D

for the record, I voted "none yet..."

gary
08-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Gary the Merciless has spoken!
It's a good thing Schaub went 7 for 7 or he'd be gone too.

for the record, I voted "none yet..."Some others on this board think so Kris made his FG's so he may stay.

ObsiWan
08-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Some others on this board think so Kris made his FG's so he may stay.

What about A.J. and O.D.? They only caught one pass apiece and both failed to take it to the house for six.
Isn't that considered Epic Fail?

gary
08-16-2009, 10:05 PM
What about A.J. and O.D.? They only caught one pass apiece and both failed to take it to the house for six.
Isn't that considered Epic Fail?
:D:spit::spit::spit: rep for ya.

edo783
08-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Brown performed well against the 1st line defense and Moats did well against the 2nd & 3rd line defenses, so given that the nod should go to Brown at this early date. A good point was made that Moats is pretty much a lesser copy of Slaton, but Brown is the real compliment big back. Like Thorn, I want to see Arian Foster before crowning Brown. It would be great if we could have 4 RBs on the squad, two smaller quick guys and 2 big bruiser types, but I doubt we can afford that.

Carr Bombed
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Does anybody know how much longer Arian is supposed to be out?

ArlingtonTexan
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Brown's problem has never his ability to run. It is staying healthy and untimely (versus high total) fumbling. Moat can do more special team wise but is not a better ballcarrier.

ArlingtonTexan
08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Does anybody know how much longer Arian is supposed to be out?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5468

(on RB Ryan Moats) "He played a great deal. He did a good job running the ball. Ryan has always been a very active player. He did some good things for Joe (Marciano). One of my disappointments in the game from a running back standpoint was we have to get better at protecting the quarterback. That has been a point of emphasis for us as a team this whole training camp and I did not think we got better doing that last night and we'll go back to work on that tomorrow. It will be an interesting battle. (Arian) Foster should be back on the field tomorrow. There are plenty of reps to go around so it will be interesting to see how this pans out but we are going to protect the quarterback. We're not doing it well enough at that position right now."

gary
08-16-2009, 10:59 PM
That's great for Adrian and great for the team it means I'll go to bed just a little bit happier tonight.

beerlover
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Brown reminds me somewhat of Chuck Muncie, very large/fast for a RB, run upright which subjects him to injury & carries the football like a loaf of bread.

Moats is a great utility back that's willing to do whatever he can to help the team. His cut-back ability is explosive, he dissapears behind linemen & is ideal back-up to Slaton.

jlam
08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
:bowdown: Moats.

TimeKiller
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I chose Brown but really wanted to choose all 3 options. Brown came in and was the rumbler this team has needed since Ron Dayne left. I take back every non-health related burn I've dealt about Brown's game. Best outcome possible, he got back, did some damage and none of it was to his back.

Also Moats continues to not go away. Every chance he's gotten he's shown just enough to hang around. Only reason I'm not totally backflipping on him right now is that he was up against lesser competition in the 2nd/3rd stringers.

The other because I want to see where Foster is at. I'm sure we'll see some of him against NO if he is practicing this week. Brown sure did set the bar high for the power backs on the roster.

Porky
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think there is any doubt that it's Chris Brown IF healthy. The bigger battle to me is the #3 spot between Moats and Foster. I want to get a good look at Foster over these next couple of games and see what he can do. I've never been all that impressed with Moats but I think there is a place on the team for him. Having said that, I thought he did pretty well the other night, albeit the quality of competition wasn't what he will face in the regular season. Brown was extremely impressive on his one main drive, and he's the man as of this moment.

Vinny
08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I liked them both Saturday. I think Moats improved his north south running and his sense of urgency. I'd be comfy with Slaton, Brown and Moats going into the season.

badboy
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Here is my starting rotation using 4 backs in regular season. I want Slaton doing same roll as last year but # of plays drastically reduced @ RB. I want to see him line up slotted out some and to be used as a reverse at least once per game. The # 2 back will be Foster. This kid is going to be the real deal. I hope they sometimes use both in a two back system with no FB & either 4 WR or 3 and a TE. I could see Brown in this formation also replacing Foster. Brown will be my 3rd down and short or Red Zone guy. I think limiting his attempts will help keep him healthy and very effective. Moats is the guy who I relieve Slaton with to keep both fresh. I would be very selective as to what back I rotate in depending on situation. Between Foster pounding the ball and rotating Brown in, this would be my eat the clock duo. My concern is Foster may be a bit loosey goosey when he gets on field during next game as he may see himself a bit behind and think he has to catch up. After game one behind us, I am extremely pleased with backs.

Vinny
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Here is my starting rotation using 4 backs in regular season. I want Slaton doing same roll as last year but # of plays drastically reduced @ RB. I want to see him line up slotted out some and to be used as a reverse at least once per game. The # 2 back will be Foster. This kid is going to be the real deal. I hope they use both in a two back system with no FB & either 4 WR or 3 and a TE. I could see Brown in this formation also replacing Foster. Brown will be my 3rd down and short or Red Zone guy. I think limiting his attempts will help keep him healthy and very effective. Moats is the guy who I relieve Slaton with to keep both fresh. I would be very selective as to what back I rotate in depending on situation. Between Foster pounding the ball and rotating Brown in, this would be my eat the clock duo. My concern is Foster may be a bit loosey goosey when he gets on field during next game as he may see himself a bit behind and think he has to catch up. After game one behind us, I am extremely pleased with backs. Foster won't make the club if he is always injured. That was one reason he wasn't drafted I think. You can't make the club from the tub. It's gonna be Slaton, Brown and Moats. I like Foster quite a bit but he's worthless if he can't get on the field.

Thorn
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Foster won't make the club if he is always injured. That was one reason he wasn't drafted I think. You can't make the club from the tub. It's gonna be Slaton, Brown and Moats. I like Foster quite a bit but he's worthless if he can't get on the field.

Foster is supposed to be back on the practice field soon. I still want a look at him.

badboy
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Foster won't make the club if he is always injured. That was one reason he wasn't drafted I think. You can't make the club from the tub. It's gonna be Slaton, Brown and Moats. I like Foster quite a bit but he's worthless if he can't get on the field.You are correct but he will play on this season's roster and miss less than 3 games.

tex
08-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Use them both in certain situations.Like coach K said you got choice 2a or 2b.

Vinny
08-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Here is my starting rotation using 4 backs in regular season. I want Slaton doing same roll as last year but # of plays drastically reduced @ RB. I want to see him line up slotted out some and to be used as a reverse at least once per game. The # 2 back will be Foster. This kid is going to be the real deal. I hope they sometimes use both in a two back system with no FB & either 4 WR or 3 and a TE. I could see Brown in this formation also replacing Foster. Brown will be my 3rd down and short or Red Zone guy. I think limiting his attempts will help keep him healthy and very effective. Moats is the guy who I relieve Slaton with to keep both fresh. I would be very selective as to what back I rotate in depending on situation. Between Foster pounding the ball and rotating Brown in, this would be my eat the clock duo. My concern is Foster may be a bit loosey goosey when he gets on field during next game as he may see himself a bit behind and think he has to catch up. After game one behind us, I am extremely pleased with backs.

Foster won't make the club if he is always injured. That was one reason he wasn't drafted I think. You can't make the club from the tub. It's gonna be Slaton, Brown and Moats. I like Foster quite a bit but he's worthless if he can't get on the field.

You are correct but he will play on this season's roster and miss less than 3 games.
Thank you Ms Cleo! :voodoo:

Malloy
08-18-2009, 04:08 AM
I chose Brown but really wanted to choose all 3 options. Brown came in and was the rumbler this team has needed since Ron Dayne left. I take back every non-health related burn I've dealt about Brown's game. Best outcome possible, he got back, did some damage and none of it was to his back.

Also Moats continues to not go away. Every chance he's gotten he's shown just enough to hang around. Only reason I'm not totally backflipping on him right now is that he was up against lesser competition in the 2nd/3rd stringers.

The other because I want to see where Foster is at. I'm sure we'll see some of him against NO if he is practicing this week. Brown sure did set the bar high for the power backs on the roster.

me2