PDA

View Full Version : Texans linemen anticipate initiation Caldwell, Barwin will get a taste of the NFL

Wolf
08-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Texans coach Gary Kubiak begged off weighing in on whether transitioning from college to the NFL is more challenging for an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman, explaining, "If I pick one or the other, the guys on the other side will give me a hard time." So Kubiak suggested the question be addressed to his right-hand man, Alex Gibbs. Funny guy, Kubiak. Assistant head coach Gibbs never converses with the media.

"Truthfully," Kubiak said, "it's hard for both of them."

He'll get no argument from defensive end Connor Barwin or center/guard Antoine Caldwell.

"Everybody's bigger, older, faster, better," is how Barwin puts it, summing up what he and Caldwell confront as Texans rookies.

The pass-rushing whiz at Cincinnati last fall (12 sacks) and the center who was one of Alabama's team captains were Houston's second and third draft choices, respectively, this spring. Two weeks into their first training camp, neither is drowning, but both admit the leap they've taken is an exponential one, all the more reason to be excited about their first exam at Kansas City on Saturday night.

Interest will be intense

With top pick Brian Cushing sidelined by a sprained knee for at least a couple of weeks, Barwin and Caldwell figure to be the Texans' most scrutinized rookies.

"I'm so ready to go against somebody else's tackles and try to use what I've learned to get after the quarterback," Barwin said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9937776/Texans-linemen-anticipate-initiation-Caldwell,-Barwin-will-get-a-taste-of-the-NFL-TEXANS:-Caldwell,-Barwin-ready-for-action-