PDA

View Full Version : Preseason QB Pecking Order Established

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Opportunity for Orlovsky (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6572218.html)

When he backed up John Elway at Denver, Gary Kubiak was an August All-Star who knew he wouldn't get much playing time in regular season.

The Texans are paying quarterback Dan Orlovsky an average of $3 million a year to replace Sage Rosenfels as Matt Schaub's backup. Orlovsky will play the second and third quarter against the Chiefs.

“As a backup quarterback, this is your season,” Kubiak said. “Dan's going to play half a game, probably pretty close to the same in Week 2, not as much in Week 3 then play a whole game in Week 4, so this is his season to prove to this team that if something happens to Matt, he's ready to go.”

Rex Grossman, who played in a Super Bowl with Chicago, will play in the fourth quarter.

“He may even play a little more than that,” Kubiak said. “He's really made a lot of progress and done some good things for us.”

Curious words chosen by Schaub:

“Obviously, I'm a little healthier than last year,” he said. “We feel really good. We're clicking real well and playing good football.”

alphajoker
08-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Maybe Schaub's remarks were sarcastic being that he had surgery over the off-season last year?

Texans_Chick
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Shouldn't read much into Schaub's words. What he is saying is that he is healthy.

As for Orlovsky, he has the lead going into camp because of the nature of his contract. But he has had some really garbage training camp sessions--whether because of miscommunication with WR or his fault. Yesterday, he looked really bad in 11 on 11--not even coming close with most throws.

Grossman realizes that he isn't going to get many snaps and is trying to make the most of them. Basically, his best shot to make the team is for Orlovsky not to play that great and for him to play well.

mexican_texan
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Shouldn't read much into Schaub's words. What he is saying is that he is healthy.

As for Orlovsky, he has the lead going into camp because of the nature of his contract. But he has had some really garbage training camp sessions--whether because of miscommunication with WR or his fault. Yesterday, he looked really bad in 11 on 11--not even coming close with most throws.

Grossman realizes that he isn't going to get many snaps and is trying to make the most of them. Basically, his best shot to make the team is for Orlovsky not to play that great and for him to play well.
Against the Chiefs' 2nd string defense, I expect nothing less than 2 TDs from Orlovsky. Feels great to have football back.

DocBar
08-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I think Schaub was just saying he's feeling good this year and is healthy. Also, I think Kubes is really considering starting the season with 3 QB's this season. It's not his norm, but after trading Rosencopter, I think he realizes the need for 3 until Schaub proves himself durable enough to keep only 2 on the roster.

Porky
08-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Against the Chiefs' 2nd string defense, I expect nothing less than 2 TDs from Orlovsky. Feels great to have football back.

Don't forget he will be playing with 2nd string olineman and skill guys as well. I'm more interested in seeing how sharp he is, is he making the right reads, can he avoid the rush and show some awareness in the pocket etc then I am in demanding a certain number of TD's.

ObsiWan
08-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Not to mention Kubiak may reverse the order in the next game. The 2-3 QB "pecking order" isn't set in stone IMHO. So I wouldn't put too much stock in this here opener.