PDA

View Full Version : Richard Justice Spot-on with his Indictment of NFL Training-Camp

nunusguy
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
The Texans have now lost three starters in less than two weeks of this camp. At this rate, they'll lose about half their starting lineup by the opening game. There just has to be a better way.
About this time last year, one of the Texans said, ''Do you find it peculiar that we're more prepared to play a game on the first day of camp than the last?''
Once upon a time, the Texans went to Seattle and got crushed. Afterwards, one of their running backs, Dominick Davis, admitted he'd been cramping up before the game.

That was a week when coaches worked the players extra hard because they were upset with their practice habits and wanted to teach them a lesson. Instead, the entire organization got embarrassed.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/08/turns_out_dunta.html

badboy
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
To me TC is more for draft picks, UDFA, any new guys like Grossman for example to pick up scheme & impress coaches. A pickup like A. Smith this season or Myers last year should only need abut 10 days to be ready. Most players today stay in shape all year & those that do not suffer if not ready to go. I would I think prefer no OTAs (I am not certain on this) and a much reduced TC with one sparring match against another team at end of 10 day TC and then at most two pre-season games. I do not want regular season expanded. Way too many injuries prior to game one.

Texans_Chick
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I can't say that the Texans training camp is much more physical than anyone else's. The heat is a problem, but short of moving camp, there's not much you can do about that. Moving camp has some of its own issues--for example, the facilities in Houston are better than what they would have at remote camp locations.

They do more of a walkthrough sort of practice in the afternoon, and they often cut morning practices short. They don't work out in full pads that often. They sit players who have injury issues, and don't let some players play on the turf indoors. They also have been doing a ton of scheduled water breaks.

I'm not sure what they should be doing that is much different. How are you supposed to prepare for an NFL season, tickle fights?

Andrew6
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't say that the Texans training camp is much more physical than anyone else's. The heat is a problem, but short of moving camp, there's not much you can do about that. Moving camp has some of its own issues--for example, the facilities in Houston are better than what they would have at remote camp locations.

They do more of a walkthrough sort of practice in the afternoon, and they often cut morning practices short. They don't work out in full pads that often. They sit players who have injury issues, and don't let some players play on the turf indoors. They also have been doing a ton of scheduled water breaks.

I'm not sure what they should be doing that is much different. How are you supposed to prepare for an NFL season, tickle fights?

Sounds like something fun with the cheer leaders

HOU-TEX
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

I agree. I actually think our TC is one of the least physical from what I've noticed by watching NFLTA. I think we've had 2-3 practices in full pads? That's pretty lenient if you ask me.

80 grown men having tickle fights would likely scar my retina's for life.

disaacks3
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
The day RJ is spot-on with much of anything, I'm going to check and see if h*** has frozen over.

NFL Training camp is needed less these days than old, due to more guys staying in shape throughout the year, but...

If your players (especially draft picks) don't have the new system down in time, they will fall by the DROVES come real game time vs. a prepared opponent. there isn't any substitute for real action, but the reps are necessary to ensure that all players are on the same page.

Giving DDs example of "cramping" is anecdotal - it happened due to players not being hydrated enough / stretching before the game...nothing more. That points back to players either not following directions, or the training staff not prepping them appropriately.

Maddict5
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
id say kubiak runs a pretty modern camp- not alot of hiting with more emphasis on teaching. no two a days really. i dont really see what the problem is. injuries happen all the time no matter whether its OTA's, TC or games

badboy
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

I'm not sure what they should be doing that is much different. How are you supposed to prepare for an NFL season, tickle fights?How much preparation is needed for veterans after a couple seasons? I think 10 days is enough. Seems to be more a timing thing.

cuppacoffee
08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds like something fun with the cheer leaders

I'm in, is there an age limit on participants. I'll will sign a waiver if necessary.

:coffee:

ChampionTexan
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
A slightly dissenting viewpoint from Andy Reid (Who I consider to be a top-5 NFL coach):

Reid, who is known as "Big Red" around the Eagles' organization, refuses to apologize for maintaining his rigid, physical camp approach, regardless of season-ending injuries to linebacker Stewart Bradley and rookie tight end Cornelius Ingram.

"I believe blocking and tackling is still involved in this game and until they change it, you gotta practice a certain way [in training camp]," said Reid. "We practice blocking and tackling, so we have live [hitting] team periods and if you do it the right way, don't take cheap shots on each other, it works. We've had injuries this year, but the crazy part about it is, they weren't in live periods. You get some bumps and bruises but normally they don't get hurt because they're going after it pretty good."

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=4392751)

Honoring Earl 34
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Cushing said USC's camps were more physical than the Texans .

76Texan
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
As an organization, the Texans just have to keep looking for ways to improve every things little by little.

It's a long season, we need to protect our assets, but we also want to get them ready for deployment.

How about moving the morning practice up half an hour/an hour, evaluate the pros and cons, and gauge the players' feedbacks.

Heck, it's summer.
If they can start at 5:30 A.M.; in the long run, it would probably be better for the players.

nunusguy
08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Cushing said USC's camps were more physical than the Texans .

And he also said Carroll had the luxury of having more players in TC than
Kubiak does.

Honoring Earl 34
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
And he also said Carroll had the luxury of having more players in TC than
Kubiak does.

Which means Kubiak is protecting his players .

Texan JBZ
08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
It just goes to show that Dick has never slapped on a pair of shoulder pads in his life. You have to hit in training camp to get your body accustomed to it again. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing football, you're swore as hell after the first day or two of hitting. It also helps you get into football shape. You may feel like you're in shape already, but it's a different story when you slap all that gear on.

nunusguy
08-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Which means Kubiak is protecting his players .

Not necessarily, it could mean a lot of things so we're left to draw our own conclusions as you've done. One would be that Kubiak wants to devote more time to coaching, to teaching the palyers which is something else that Cushing mentioned when he said the NFL was more mental.

TimeKiller
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
What is the point of the article? I missed it....

Last year Rashard Mendenhall opened his mouth and Ray Lewis shut it for him and then handed him his collar bone back. So clearly the Steelers were not prepared like they should be because someone got hurt....

HOU-TEX
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
What is the point of the article? I missed it....

Last year Rashard Mendenhall opened his mouth and Ray Lewis shut it for him and then handed him his collar bone back. So clearly the Steelers were not prepared like they should be because someone got hurt....

Does Dick ever have a point in any of his articles? I dunno because I haven't read his crap in a very long time.

ATXtexanfan
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Injuries happen, wtf

Specnatz
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Without having read the article I can safely take an educated guess that dickie does not have any quotes or names to back up his premise. This is another article without any facts and it is his opinion and we all know he loves him some RJ opinion.

infantrycak
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I am extremely dubious of his purported player quote from last year's camp about being more ready to play the 1st week than the last. Mics are stuck in player faces all over the league every year and they talk about getting back into football shape and adjusting back to the game. That doesn't happen with a couple days of patty cake. Kubiak's reputation (and Denver's under Shanahan) was one of having one of the lighter training regimens around. What more are they supposed to do? - no running only jogging or maybe we can have the table dancer 3 foot rule so nobody falls on each other.

badboy
08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I am extremely dubious of his purported player quote from last year's camp about being more ready to play the 1st week than the last. Mics are stuck in player faces all over the league every year and they talk about getting back into football shape and adjusting back to the game. That doesn't happen with a couple days of patty cake. Kubiak's reputation (and Denver's under Shanahan) was one of having one of the lighter training regimens around. What more are they supposed to do? - no running only jogging or maybe we can have the table dancer 3 foot rule so nobody falls on each other.Thanks. Now with your post & the earlier one about tickling, I have this image of Dlinemen and OLinemen chasing each other around the practice bubble with one dollar bills in their hands. UGH!

Honoring Earl 34
08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Not necessarily, it could mean a lot of things so we're left to draw our own conclusions as you've done. One would be that Kubiak wants to devote more time to coaching, to teaching the palyers which is something else that Cushing mentioned when he said the NFL was more mental.

Really .... boy that's one of the biggest no kiddings I've run into in awhile . You mean they weren't playing duck , duck , goose . That they actually were walking through assignments and such . I guess that's what they were doing the practice that I went to . Guess who else didn't scrimmage during practice ... Bum's Oilers ... why ... he said Houston's not on their schedule .

HoustonFrog
08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
There's medical evidence that practicing in the heat and humidity doesn't condition players to practicing in the heat and humidity. It tears bodies down in a way that fluid replacement can't fix.

I have to disagree with this. I played high school ball in the day...the 80s. Every year we went to this hell hole in Granbury, Texas for 2 a days. You could see the heat coming off the field...really a sand field of burrs. It was only for a week but we were always the best conditioned team in the 4th quarter. It doesn't make you like the heat and humidity any better but it can make you "adjusted" to it where you can be game conditioned for it. I'll put this way, once the real Fall weather hit, games were a walk in the park and that was playing both ways. Just my stance.

Buffi2
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Ever see the movie, The Junction Boys? Now, there's a TC to complain about.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Justice is still pissed off that his S&C friend was fired.

Speedy
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
With the way players keep in shape all year long now, I think it's time to cut the pre-season in half. We don't need a month of 4 meaningless games, or what 7, 8 weeks of camp, to get ready for a season.

Back in the day when players got and shape in camp, you had 6 pre-season games. That's not the case any more. Let's cut it to 2 games.

This really doesn't have much to do with injuries because you can get hurt at any time. I just don't like the long pre-season when everybody's already in great shape.

Texans_Chick
08-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Interesting contrast for Saturday's game.

The Chiefs have played in full gear, once a day every day of camp except for yesterday. The Texans not so much.

So do the Chiefs play more physical because they are used to physical? Or are they more worn down? Or will it be impossible to tell because the Texans and Chiefs are just very different football tames.