PDA

View Full Version : Cushing Injured

DoCRoN
08-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow. 610 AM just talked about Cushing missing 'significant time' due to a knee injury he sustained during practice. Cato June is also apparently hurt.

WTF.:gun:

False Start
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, this sucks. I hope its not too serious.

Polo
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
That sucks.

I hope the injury concerns that haunted him in college do not follow him throughout his career.

4x4tx
08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Brutal

Yankee_In_TX
08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
MRI last night, no results (released to us at least) yet.

Thorn
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5452

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow. 610 AM just talked about Cushing missing 'significant time' due to a knee injury he sustained during practice. Cato June is also apparently hurt.

WTF.:gun:

well if thats true, the start of the season just got alot more difficult. hopefully it only takes a couple weeks

gary
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
That sucks. What happend to June? Hopefully July will come up big in their absence.

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Sigh.

I had almost forgotten what a kick in the balls it is to be a Texans fan sometimes.

El Tejano
08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Remember that year we came off the 7-9 year and we were so pumped because our schedule looked relatively easy and we thought we had a much better team?......

Injuries really suck. I was looking forward to seeing him in this up coming game.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Sigh.

I had almost forgotten what a kick in the balls it is to be a Texans fan sometimes.

Personally, I have to admit that I've been half waiting for this to happen.

hobie
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Well then I guess we will see him play at our first home preseason game, no way I would put him out there for a series or 2 this Saturday night....

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
It appears it's only a sprain. It could've been worse.

Cushing, who was inserted into the starting lineup on the strong side from the first organized team activities in the offseason, complained of soreness in his knee on Tuesday. An MRI revealed the sprain in his knee.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6569754.html

disaacks3
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
It appears it's only a sprain. It could've been worse.

I hope that's all it is and he's back for action before pre-season is over. :crying:

El Tejano
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
How long does a sprained knee take to recover.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
OK ... where's Babin ...:splits:

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Personally, I have to admit that I've been half waiting for this to happen.

I was a Clay Matthews guy. I wasn't so hot on Cushing because I was afraid he would be injury prone.

Cush has everything set up to win me over. All that was left for him to do was to show me on the football field. His attitude, professionalism, the way he carries himself, etc., all that stuff he has absolutely knocked out of the park... but this was what worried me about him. I was afraid he would have series of not overly-serious, but bad-enough injuries that he's always going to miss a game here or there.

Hopefully this is just a fluke.

Texans_bull
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
When camp first started . DeMeco told him to SLOW DOWN. its early in camp.
He needs to listen to the veterans and maybe this would not happen.

I pray its not nothing major...:texflag:

gwallaia
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I will stay tuned to this thread for Cloak's evaluation.

edo783
08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
How long does a sprained knee take to recover.

That would be pretty much a June Allison type of answer.... it Depends. My guess would be something in the 3-6 week range assuming nothing is partially tore and what exactly is sprained. My concern is that this team has a history of being less than forth coming regarding the extent of an injury.

chicagotexan2
08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
OK ... where's Babin ...:splits:

I'd rather take one of the bus boys from Babins Seafood over Jason Babin.

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Wasn't Andre Johnson's injury in 2007 a sprained knee? He missed seven games.

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Well then I guess we will see him play at our first home preseason game, no way I would put him out there for a series or 2 this Saturday night....

knee injury, 'significant time'... i think you're being very optimistic in predicting he'll be back for the second preseason game

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM

yep.. so was schaub last yr. a sprain means weeks rather than months. he'll still miss alot of time

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
yep.. so was schaub last yr. a sprain means weeks rather than months. he'll still miss alot of time

Yeah - and right in the thick of the pre-season. This is not good. I bet he doesn't play until week two at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT - okay, that was stupid. I'm not a doctor and there's no reason or basis for me to speculate like that.

gary
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I will stay tuned to this thread for Cloak's evaluation.Ah, yes leave it all up doctor Cloak that's right the Texans might have their own team doctor but TT has Cloak no one knows as well as he does.

spurstexanstros
08-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Sigh.

ditto that

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah - and right in the thick of the pre-season. This is not good. I bet he doesn't play until week two at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, considering "he complained of soreness in his knee", I assume he finished Tuesday's practice with it bothering him. Which kinda sounds as if it isn't that bad...*crosses fingers*

Hooston Texan
08-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Schaub had an MCL tear (not a sprain) that was announced shortly after the Viking game.

Missing Cushing for any length of time would be a big, big loss. He's basically the only thumper we have at linebacker. We have a small army of speed guys but nobody else who can lay the wood on the TE play after play.

jaayteetx
08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
i wake up to this news, not good! ok, maybe if i just go back to bed and come back later, this will all be a bad dream?

TimeKiller
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Go lay in that hyperbaric chamber for a month straight. We'll bring you food, water and a can. Get well soon!!!!!!!!

Injuries and the ghost of steroids is why I was against Cushing at first (and for CM3). I hopped on the bandwagon when the pick was made. Seriously though, it seems like a little too many people are getting hurt for training camp. Coming off the Dan Stevenson drama I'd think this is kind of a nightmare for Rick Smith and Kubiak.

I hope this is something he's able to shake off and come into the season strong.

Tailgate
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Man, was having the perfect day so far too. CRAP!

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Watch the video of Kubiak's comments on Cushing. He doesn't sound like it'll be something that'll keep him out for an extended amount of time.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3301&play_clip=y

"We're kind of in an evaluation period," Kubiak said. "He's been fine, he practiced all day yesterday, actually even got in his weight workout after practice. Then, last night his knee got sore on him, and so we're kind of evaluating where he's at right now. He's going to miss some time. How much? I won't know for a couple days."

He practiced on it then even lifted on it.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5452

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

IIRC, AJ not only had a severe sprain, he tore his PCL.

awtysst
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I am not Cloak, but here is what I know. Cloak, please correct any mistakes I make.

The length of time Cush misses is related to what kind of sprain he has: mild, moderate, or severe.

Mild sprains (grade 1) have mild swelling, mild tenderness, and perhaps some mild bruising around the joint. Movement of the joint may be somewhat decreased. In a mild ankle sprain there may be some limp, but people are able to walk.

Moderate sprains (grade 2) are accompanied by more swelling and more tenderness (a greater degree and also more of the joint feels sore). There is usually bruising around the joint, and movement of the joint is decreased. People with moderate ankle sprains are unable to run and can walk only with an obvious limp.

Severe ankle sprains (grade 3) have obvious bruising, accompanied by diffuse swelling and tenderness around the joint. The joint is obviously less mobile. People with a severe ankle sprain are usually unable to bear weight on the ankle.

Mild sprains usually heal within 2 weeks. Moderate sprains usually heal within 4 weeks. Severe sprains usually last longer than a month.

Treatment involves rest, ice, compression, and elevation (R.I.C.E.) Moderate or severe sprains may need a splint or a cast to hold the injured joint in the right position for healing. Exercises are often prescribed to speed healing. Some moderate or severe sprains may also benefit from physical therapy.

So, based on how we see him (sitting vs standing) or with/without a boot/cast may give us insight into what we are dealing with.

texanskan
08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
man shooting Winstrol is not good for you

beerlover
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
better now than latter. Cushing has never been known for slowing down this should help him focus mentally & be as close to 100% healthy by Game One :cool:

Porky
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Awtyyst is on the track I was thinking. Although his post regarded ankles, I do know there are 3 grades of sprain. If it's a grade 1, he'll probably be back for the 3rd pre-season game. Grade 2 he will probably be ready to go by game one, and grade 3 would potentially put game 1 in doubt but it wouldn't be a long term issue within the season.

However, this is concerning because he has a reputation of pushing himself too hard and being so aggresive that he gets easily injured. I don't know how you tame the wild beast in him, or even if they should try. I had a slight preference for Matthews becasuse I liked his athletism/speed a little better, he seemed to still be a rising athlete, and he didn't have the injury concerns....but let's all hope Cush comes back strong and finishes the season without another significant injury.

Texecutioner
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I was a Clay Matthews guy. I wasn't so hot on Cushing because I was afraid he would be injury prone.

Cush has everything set up to win me over. All that was left for him to do was to show me on the football field. His attitude, professionalism, the way he carries himself, etc., all that stuff he has absolutely knocked out of the park... but this was what worried me about him. I was afraid he would have series of not overly-serious, but bad-enough injuries that he's always going to miss a game here or there.

Hopefully this is just a fluke.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't really wanting him before the draft either. He had so many injuries in college to ignore. I warmed up to it after we drafted him, but this doesn't make me feel so good right now, especially with that sprain being in the knee. So far this pre season has not been going to well for us.

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Yeah, that's why I wasn't really wanting him before the draft either. He had so many injuries in college to ignore. I warmed up to it after we drafted him, but this doesn't make me feel so good right now, especially with that sprain being in the knee. So far this pre season has not been going to well for us.

could be worse, we could be the eagles /glass half full

TexansFight
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
This absolutely sucks. His injury history was why I wasn't really excited about this pick. I know he hasn't even been busted with doing steroids but his injuries seem to suggest it.

Texan JBZ
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
This was just posted at 11 per McClain:

Barring an unforeseen setback, outside linebacker Brian Cushing could play in the Texans' third preseason game against Minnesota and should be 100 percent for the regular-season opener against the New York Jets.
Cushing, the first-round pick from USC, is out for two to three weeks with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his left knee. The injury should not require surgery.

Good news. I'd just go ahead and hold him out for the rest of the preseason.

Malloy
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Sucky news.

I hope it's not because of his oxygen tent ;)

drewmar74
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Sucky news.

I hope it's not because of his oxygen tent ;)

Me, I'm thinking that if hadn't had the oxygen tent his knee would have actually exploded and his lower leg would have fallen off.

That thing has already paid for itself in spades!

awtysst
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Ok, so this would suggest a mild to moderate strain.

beerlover
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I had a slight preference for Matthews becasuse I liked his athletism/speed a little better, he seemed to still be a rising athlete, and he didn't have the injury concerns....

pretty much sums up this board & John McClain pre-draft opinion :thinking:

truth of matter is the Texans could have traded down & extorted all kinds of picks & still drafted Matthews or taken that GB package. Instead Smith/Kubiak went for the best SAM playmaker available as Ourlads suggests its a "sticky wicket" if he can stay healthy all season?

thankfully this is only pre-season. Brian has time to make a full recovery & become the player he/Texans expect him to be. :texflag:

valleytexfan
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Man, this is terrible. Hope this is one of those "Not as bad as we feared" things.
Paging Dr. Cloak!!!!

Texecutioner
08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
pretty much sums up this board & John McClain pre-draft opinion :thinking:

truth of matter is the Texans could have traded down & extorted all kinds of picks & still drafted Matthews or taken that GB package. Instead Smith/Kubiak went for the best SAM playmaker available as Ourlads suggests its a "sticky wicket" if he can stay healthy all season?

thankfully this is only pre-season. Brian has time to make a full recovery & become the player he/Texans expect him to be. :texflag:

You guys need to get off of this "Kubes should have traded down" stuff with every draft situation. I mean, hell it seems like some people think that Kubiak can simply just trade down on any pick he wants every year as if that's option B on a multiple choice test. Trading down is not always there where teams want to trade down and if they do in many cases they won't be giving up much to make the trade down option even worth it. Just because we traded down to get Brown doesn't mean that it's something you can do every year.

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
well since it looks like cushing will be ok in a couple weeks (thank god), how about the other kinda big story in all this: that bentley is ahead of adibi on the WILL depth chart. how in the hell did that happen?

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Geez, the dude sprains his knee a little and now it's a draft mistake?

Specnatz
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Do not forget his career is over and his knee will never be the same again.

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

I don't think a single person said that.

Myself and some others are just saying this is the reason we preferred someone else. The guy has pretty much won me over... now I just need to see him on the field. I don't think it was a draft mistake at all. They addressed a position of need, and I'm fine with that.

Nawzer
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh man, this is not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully Cushing will do whatever it takes to heal his knee. More importantly, he'll miss valuable reps at practice and in those first 2 preseason games. Man I wish there was some way we could put players in invisible bubbles during training camps...

Hardcore Texan
08-12-2009, 11:42 AM
The thread title alone took days off of my life....

:cry2:

dc_txtech
08-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Man, the link mentioned the name Dr. Andrews and a shudder went through my body.

"Cushing's agent, Tom Condon, wants his client to have Dr. James Andrews check out the MRI."

swtbound07
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
this was nothing if not predictable.

Texan JBZ
08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Man, the link mentioned the name Dr. Andrews and a shudder went through my body.

"Cushing's agent, Tom Condon, wants his client to have Dr. James Andrews check out the MRI."

Condon is a superagent. He only wants what is best for his client. And Dr. Andrews is the best there is. He actually did my knee surgery when I tore my ACL. Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. His office is pretty cool too. He's got autographed pictures from just about any athlete you can name.

Norg
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
CB reeves
C myers
OLB cushing
OLB cato june
TE Hill

whats next :gun:

we might has well be looking at a 7-9 season right here

Tailgate
08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Cushing, the first-round pick from USC, is out for two to three weeks with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his left knee. The injury should not require surgery.

I mean is it too much to ask for John to use the word WILL instead of should here? Its not just Cushings health thats at risk here!!

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
CB reeves
C myers
OLB cushing
OLB cato june
TE Hill

What's the common denominator with most of the guy's you listed? They will be back before the end of camp with the exception of Reeves being a couple weeks after.

:rolleyes:

Tailgate
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
What's the common denominator with most of the guy's you listed? They will be back before the end of camp with the exception of Reeves being a couple weeks after.

:rolleyes:

Exactly. Once season rolls around, these players WILL play. Playing nicked up is all apart of the NFL. As long as Cush doesn't need surgery he will be fine. Reeves is our only major injury at this point.

Pitts is a concern however. As soon as he gets in pads I will be a much happier man.

michaelm
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
For all of you who said that you wanted Matthews, he's been dealing with a hamstring for a while now.
On June 22, he announced that he was 100% recovered from a hammy that limited him in offseason workouts, but he apparently reinjured it, or injured the other one. He's been out of practice since August 6 due to a hamstring injury.

http://www.kffl.com/player/20745/NFL

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
As long as these guys are ready for the Jets I don't care

Thorn
08-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, frankly, I think the world is coming to an end and we should prepare ourselves for it. I shall start by making a beer run.

DocBar
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's a link on ligament strains. W/O knowing the grade of strain, it's hard to tell.
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/ilateralligament.html

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Cushing was the one guy I was gonna lock eyes onto in these preseason games because I think he is the difference maker on this defense. Now I'm thinking just get him healthy to the Jets game and thats that.

Malloy
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Well, frankly, I think the world is coming to an end and we should prepare ourselves for it. I shall start by making a beer run.

OMG you're right... I should stock up on some Tequila too, and no reason to go the the gym, thats wasted effort. CHEERS! :)

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
For all of you who said that you wanted Matthews, he's been dealing with a hamstring for a while now.
On June 22, he announced that he was 100% recovered from a hammy that limited him in offseason workouts, but he apparently reinjured it, or injured the other one. He's been out of practice since August 6 due to a hamstring injury.

http://www.kffl.com/player/20745/NFL

I don't get the relevance of that. Hindsight is always 20/20. I've followed Matthews' hamstring issues. I'm not saying that I would NOW prefer one over the other. Cushing is a Texan, and I'm 100% behind him... I just want to see him on the field.

keyser
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Whether someone is injured or not isn't the issue. Matthews (and most other players) weren't known for having a history of injury (note: I wasn't a Matthews fan, either - I didn't want any of the USC linebackers, though I'm glad to support Cushing now that he's on the team). Any player can be injured, and you can't expect a team to predict injuries for some general player or fault them when it happens. For example,l I don't think Hill had any significant injury history, and even if he were to miss a whole season (I know he's already improved), I wouldn't say the team had made a bad pick for that reason. But, when a team picks a player that has a significant history of repeated injuries, then if that player misses time with yet another injury, some of the blame goes to the team. With Cushing, his injury history was a known flag when he was drafted, so I expect the team should have taken extra precaution to evaluate him in that area. And, if there continue to be injury issues, we can certainly fault the team for not evaluating this correctly, just like we could if some player had a continuing history of missing blocks, dropping passes, etc.

But, hopefully this is all academic - hopefully Cushing will heal and play several years of injury-free ball hereafter...

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
How about we all act like this isn't a problem and maybe it'll go away? After all the report says he'll be ready for the Jets. As far as I'm concerned Cushing is healthy and ready to go week 1. /blinders off

Texan4Ever
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I was looking foward to seeing Cushing in action, hopefully he can rehab and suit up during the preseason and see some playing time.

Is Zach Diles injured as well or will he be able to play the strong side OLB position?

Hervoyel
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Do not forget his career is over and his knee will never be the same again.

Tony Boselli, Bennie Joppru, and Charles Spencer didn't make the slightest impression on the field for the Houston Texans but together they left a a scar on the average Texans fans psyche that can be seen from space. Between the three of them we've spent every single year the Texans have ever existed thinking about some player who we're sure will make a difference but who we've not seen play (or will not see play again). When something like this happens we all go to SF9 instinctively.

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Tony Boselli, Bennie Joppru, and Charles Spencer didn't make the slightest impression on the field for the Houston Texans but together they left a a scar on the average Texans fans psyche that can be seen from space. Between the three of them we've spent every single year the Texans have ever existed thinking about some player who we're sure will make a difference but who we've not seen play (or will not see play again). When something like this happens we all go to SF9 instinctively.

Dude, slaughter a lamb or throw some salt over your left shoulder if you're gonna say something like this. The football gods are laughing right now.

Hervoyel
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
No worries man, it's all mental. I'm just saying we've been conditioned to feel the "I think I'm going to throw up" kind of panic we're all experiencing right now. From the first post in the thread to the last page things got (IMO) much better. He'll be fine and ready to destroy the Jets in no time. It's a shame though that he's going to miss all that work in the preseason. Rookies need that kind of stuff.

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
No worries man, it's all mental. I'm just saying we've been conditioned to feel the "I think I'm going to throw up" kind of panic we're all experiencing right now. From the first post in the thread to the last page things got (IMO) much better. He'll be fine and ready to destroy the Jets in no time. It's a shame though that he's going to miss all that work in the preseason. Rookies need that kind of stuff.

Agreed, wish he could be getting this work in...I can't help but think though this guy's played linebacker since pop warner, he's got the experience I just want the kid healthy and ready week 1 and it looks like thats the reality here thank God. I know this is a scare for Kubiak and hope he manages our health as best he can (not that this was his fault).

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM

To be quite honest, I kinda lost my breath upon reading the initial post. Once the reports began to surface I was thinking a couple weeks. Once they get Kaplan's thoughts this afternoon we'll know more about how significant the sprain is and how long the recovery might be.

If the sprain's as mild as I think it is, we might get to see him play a brief stint against the Vikes.

From what Chet says, we'll know more after this afternoon's practice.

Marcus
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
CB reeves
C myers
OLB cushing
OLB cato june
TE Hill

Do you all finally see why W-L prediction threads are ridiculous?

HoustonFrog
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Do you all finally see why W-L prediction threads are ridiculous?

And why I hate them. I even prefaced the prediction thread with this.

Spike
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
The thread title alone took days off of my life....

:cry2:

No kidding. It would be nice if someone could place an update at the top. I had to hold my mouth until the fourth page of the thread so I wouldn't throw up all over myself.

Injuries are part of the game. As an organization, we have had bad luck. Looking at the glass half full, most everyone injured to date should be back prior to the start of the season. This gives some young guys the opportunity to get meaningful snaps.

The pre-season would have been good for Cushing to get some reps, but I am not worried about him getting up to speed.

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Theoretically, Cushing is engraved as a starter so it would lend some sense to see the two guys who are in direct competition (Adibi and Diles) on the field at the same time. They're the one linebacker position battle in camp. Yes WILLs and SAMs have different assignments but now we can really see who makes a bigger imprint on the game. I know it doesn't make sense, how could Diles playing well at the SAM improve his chances of being a starter at the WILL but I think in the eyes of the coaches they want to see you're execution and instincts at work. Diles can't hurt himself by playing well and picking up where he left off last year.

Jackie Chiles
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Even though we have had our share of injuries this preseason I would say we have been dodging bullets left and right in regards to their severity. Only Reeves is going to miss any real action and even then it shouldnt be extended. It would be nice if whoever was firing those bullets at us would take a friggin break every now and then though.

nunusguy
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Benny Joppru is the other name that came to mind when I first heard this news this moring 'bout Cushing because he didn't get beyond the practice field his rookie year on account of a season-ending knee injury (or was it a groin or a hammy ?) in preseaon, and of course it happened multiple years for the incredibly unlucky Joppru. Now while Cushing has been injury-prone in college, he's didn't have a season-ending injury. But I'm reliveved, very relieve this is all that involved.
And for all of you guys who are already complaing that you wanted Matthews instead of Cushing, he's not a 4-3 SAM like Cushing is which is what we wanted if we were to draft a LB in the first round. If Matthews were to play 4-3, he'd clearly be a WIL which is a position we don't need help at as we do SAM.

michaelm
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Benny Joppru is the other name that came to mind when I first heard this news this moring 'bout Cushing because he didn't get beyond the practice field his rookie year on account of a season-ending knee injury (or was it a groin or a hammy ?) in preseaon, and of course it happened multiple years for the incredibly unlucky Joppru. Now while Cushing has been injury-prone in college, he's didn't have a season-ending injury. But I'm reliveved, very relieve this is all that involved.
And for all of you guys who are already complaing that you wanted Matthews instead of Cushing, he's not a 4-3 SAM like Cushing is which is what we wanted if we were to draft a LB in the first round. If Matthews were to play 4-3, he'd clearly be a WIL which is a position we don't need help at as we do SAM.

IIRC, it was a groin.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I was looking foward to seeing Cushing in action, hopefully he can rehab and suit up during the preseason and see some playing time.

Is Zach Diles injured as well or will he be able to play the strong side OLB position?

Diles is healthy and will take over the SAM.

Our starting LB's will be Adibi, Ryans, and Diles.

painekiller
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Awtyyst is on the track I was thinking. Although his post regarded ankles, I do know there are 3 grades of sprain. If it's a grade 1, he'll probably be back for the 3rd pre-season game. Grade 2 he will probably be ready to go by game one, and grade 3 would potentially put game 1 in doubt but it wouldn't be a long term issue within the season.

However, this is concerning because he has a reputation of pushing himself too hard and being so aggresive that he gets easily injured. I don't know how you tame the wild beast in him, or even if they should try. I had a slight preference for Matthews becasuse I liked his athletism/speed a little better, he seemed to still be a rising athlete, and he didn't have the injury concerns....but let's all hope Cush comes back strong and finishes the season without another significant injury.

We can only hope. But with his history I am not holding my breath.

El Tejano
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I am glad to see that Diles will get action again. If we need a back up to play I am glad it's Diles. I am hoping that Cushing makes his return well and okay and Diles can show he still has it.

brakos82
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Amen brutha. :beer:

Fox
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Sucks, but could've been so much worse. Worst part is a) he misses valuable TC time, and b) I don't get to see him light people up in pre-season. On the other hand it's just a couple weeks (it looks like), and we have excellent depth with Diles, IMO.

m5kwatts
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Sucks, but could've been so much worse. Worst part is a) he misses valuable TC time, and b) I don't get to see him light people up in pre-season. On the other hand it's just a couple weeks (it looks like), and we have excellent depth with Diles, IMO.

I was thinking he might push himself too hard in pre-season games trying to light guys up like you said. I'd rather save the wear and tear and have him ready to go week 1.

SheTexan
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
SEEEEEE!!!!! I told you all he should NOT have cut his hair!!:) Blame the vets!!

:shetexan:

Carr Bombed
08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
This sucks....

We have all these injuries and we still haven't even played a preseason game yet. We still have 4 football games we've got to get through just to get to the regular season.....things could get bad.

drewmar74
08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
This sucks....

We have all these injuries and we still haven't even played a preseason game yet. We still have 4 football games we've got to get through just to get to the regular season.....things could get bad.

OR

We could not suffer any significant injuries and get everyone healthy for the regular season opener!

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Kool-Aid.jpg

Carr Bombed
08-12-2009, 04:03 PM
OR

We could not suffer any significant injuries and get everyone healthy for the regular season opener!

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Kool-Aid.jpg

LOL, hopefully

indiantexan
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
PFT's report, albeit a little old, says that he could be out for 10 days

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/12/cushing-currently-is-expected-to-miss-ten-days/

Dan B.
08-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it is a bit unrealistic to expect these guys to do what they do and perform at the level they are expected to and not suffer some injuries from time to time. The one thing I've been really happy about is our ability to build depth at various positions. Linebackers are going to get injured. All 3 of our starting LB's were hurt at some point last year to a varying degree. That's why we need at least 5-6 that are capable of spot starting if necessary. When a team progresses to the point where you have a solid and reliable bench you are able to consistently compete and are less likely to suffer a bad week against a weaker team when a starter misses significant time. This also helps minimize injury as you do not have to rely on your starters for every single down.

I'm not saying that your bench is automatically going to perform at the same level. I'm just saying that a deep bench is a necessity in today's NFL because this type of thing is going to happen. It is inevitable. There's not a team in the league that escapes it. All you can do is prepare for it by insuring that all 53 players you field each week are capable of stepping in at any point.

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
[optimism] Theoretically, Cushing is engraved as a starter so it would lend some sense to see the two guys who are in direct competition (Adibi and Diles) on the field at the same time. They're the one linebacker position battle in camp.

thats what i was saying earlier though- its bentley that is now the starter at WILL not adibi. how?!

ATXtexanfan
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
l'm just glad we're deep at lb

RipTraxx
08-12-2009, 04:50 PM
While im dissappointed im not worried.

Push comes to shove we have Diles who was leading the team in tackles before he got hurt last year.

As a SAM in a 4-3 being the leading tackler is pretty impressive. Its usually your MLB and WILL that collect all the tackles (unless u have stud SS) Paired w/ the fact that he was next to a Pro Bowl MIKE and was considered undersized for the position, i think we'll be ok.

disaacks3
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
thats what i was saying earlier though- its bentley that is now the starter at WILL not adibi. how?! Uhm...that's a negative

Per the Texans website and the 'injury' articles...Bentley will be moving over from 2nd MIKE to 2nd WILL. Adibi is still the starter at WILL.

Diles moves from 2nd WILL to 1st SAM.

Maddict5
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Uhm...that's a negative

Per the Texans website and the 'injury' articles...Bentley will be moving over from 2nd MIKE to 2nd WILL. Adibi is still the starter at WILL.

Diles moves from 2nd WILL to 1st MIKE.

ok i get ya thanks. the way kubiak said it it sounded like bentley was moving to the will. that makes alot more sense

DiehardChris
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
PFT's report, albeit a little old, says that he could be out for 10 days

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/12/cushing-currently-is-expected-to-miss-ten-days/

Am I just missing where the original source article on the Chronicle says it could be ten days?

Or is Florio saying he has another source that's telling him differently?

barrett
08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
per nick scurfield via twitter:

Cushing made his first comments on the injury and said he's not worried, it's just a knee sprain from the wear and tear of playing football

http://twitter.com/nickscurfield

"it's just a knee sprain from the wear and tear of playing football"????????????????????????

what the hell does that mean?

Polo
08-12-2009, 06:35 PM
per nick scurfield via twitter:

http://twitter.com/nickscurfield

"it's just a knee sprain from the wear and tear of playing football"????????????????????????

what the hell does that mean?

I don't know, but it doesn't sound encouraging...

Lucky
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Diles moves from 2nd WILL to 1st MIKE.
I think you meant to say that Diles becomes 1st team SAM LB in Cushing's absence.

I take what the Texans say regarding injuries with a grain of salt. If not the entire box. Their reputation for being less than candid when discussing player injuries is well earned.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry guys, I just got moved out of my house for major repairs from Ike. That night it simultaneously took a direct hit from a tornado. This past week, I have had no internet at the temporary housing, until now. Just went through this thread with great surprise and disappointment like all of you.

As has been stated before, the prognosis for return depends greatly on the extent (grade) of strain. As has also been pointed out, we've heard other players in the past be categorized with "don't worry, it's only a sprain".........some certainly had not fared well after that useless "classification." Without specific grade (which the front office does not typically volunteer), we are left to dangle and use our imagination and prayer to bring about as quick a recovery as possible. Remember, a "sprain" is actually a TEAR of the ligament. In lay terms, it can be a "microtear," a "moderate tear," or a "megatear" (with the ligament just holding on by a thread for dear life (or not at all)...............and we won't really know unless the Texans are totally forthright..............and, unfortunately, we know that answer.........they have no real reason to be........and can claim privacy laws. Whatever may turn out to be the real extent of the injury, being forced back (or pushing to get back) on the field too soon can predictably extend the magnitude of the tear already present.......and easily significantly prolong the recovery.

dalemurphy
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry guys, I just got moved out of my house for major repairs from Ike. That night it simultaneously took a direct hit from a tornado. This past week, I have had no internet at the temporary housing, until now. Just went through this thread with great surprise and disappointment like all of you.

As has been stated before, the prognosis for return depends greatly on the extent (grade) of strain. As has also been pointed out, we've heard other players in the past be categorized with "don't worry, it's only a sprain".........some certainly had not fared well after that useless "classification." Without specific grade (which the front office does not typically volunteer), we are left to dangle and use our imagination and prayer to bring about as quick a recovery as possible. Remember, a "sprain" is actually a TEAR of the ligament. In lay terms, it can be a "microtear," a "moderate tear," or a "megatear" (with the ligament just holding on by a thread for dear life (or not at all)...............and we won't really know unless the Texans are totally forthright..............and, unfortunately, we know that answer.........they have no real reason to be........and can claim privacy laws. Whatever may turn out to be the real extent of the injury, being forced back (or pushing to get back) on the field too soon can predictably extend the magnitude of the tear already present.......and easily significantly prolong the recovery.

Would you agree that an LCL tear that doesn't incorporate a significant loss of cartilidge or damage to the PCL has enough blood flow and surrounding stability to heal fairly quickly?

DocBar
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Would you agree that an LCL tear that doesn't incorporate a significant loss of cartilidge or damage to the PCL has enough blood flow and surrounding stability to heal fairly quickly?ligaments have poor blood supplies and require extended time to heal, even after surgery to reattach them. Not having a crtilidge problem means he won't have to worry about getting scoped to clean the cartilidge problem up. The length of time to heal will depend on how badly the ligament is torn.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
ligaments have poor blood supplies and require extended time to heal, even after surgery to reattach them. Not having a crtilidge problem means he won't have to worry about getting scoped to clean the cartilidge problem up. The length of time to heal will depend on how badly the ligament is torn.

Agree.

My concern is that "healing" does not equate to "return to pre-injury performance." The lateral collateral ligament is a very important structure to be strong for cutting, sudden change-of-direction movement.........a very important armament for an OLB like Cushing.

disaacks3
08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I think you meant to say that Diles becomes 1st team SAM LB in Cushing's absence.

I take what the Texans say regarding injuries with a grain of salt. If not the entire box. Their reputation for being less than candid when discussing player injuries is well earned. You're right, brainfart on my part..I fixed it.

NO team is ever entirely forthcoming about injuries, but the Texans border on deception, especially in the off-season (ie. Season Ticket buyer time)

dalemurphy
08-12-2009, 09:24 PM
ligaments have poor blood supplies and require extended time to heal, even after surgery to reattach them. Not having a crtilidge problem means he won't have to worry about getting scoped to clean the cartilidge problem up. The length of time to heal will depend on how badly the ligament is torn.

If I'm not mistaken, the LCL and MCL have better blood supply than the PCL or ACL or cartilidge. I've torn everything in my knee except the PCL and I'm pretty confident about this.

GP
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Agree.

My concern is that "healing" does not equate to "return to pre-injury performance." The lateral collateral ligament is a very important structure to be strong for cutting, sudden change-of-direction movement.........a very important armament for an OLB like Cushing.

Could the damage have been partly due to him lifting incredible amounts of weights, such as squats/leg lifts?

We know he's big on the big lifts. Wondering if that weakens the knees over time?

DocBar
08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the LCL and MCL have better blood supply than the PCL or ACL or cartilidge. I've torn everything in my knee except the PCL and I'm pretty confident about this.I have no idea. I DO know that cartilidge has an excellent blood supply. My torn tendons are relegated to my elbow and rotator cuff and they have very poor blood supplies. I just hope we give him time to heal and not rush him back. I'm not overly concerned if Diles or Adibi go back to SAM. They did pretty OK there last year. Like C&D said, the ligament he strained holds the femur and the fibula and keeps the bones from seperating, so I would be very careful with this injury if I didn't want to make things worse than they are. After a quick google search, I found some interesting articles on blood supplies to ligaments, but nothing specific to this topic.

DocBar
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Could the damage have been partly due to him lifting incredible amounts of weights, such as squats/leg lifts?

We know he's big on the big lifts. Wondering if that weakens the knees over time? Usually, the leg muscles protect the knee joint. I've heard of guys on 'roids or other supplements getting too strong too quickly and injuring tendons and ligaments because they didn't have time to get strong enough to prevent tearing.

Statis22
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah this is bad news. First thing I thought of was when Chad Greenway tore up his knee in his rookie season for the Vikings.

Even though Cush has no tears I hope he's ready to go against the Jets

DocBar
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah this is bad news. First thing I thought of was when Chad Greenway tore up his knee in his rookie season for the Vikings.

Even though Cush has no tears I hope he's ready to go against the Jets A strain is a partial tear. Thankfully it's not a full thickness tear.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I have no idea. I DO know that cartilidge has an excellent blood supply. My torn tendons are relegated to my elbow and rotator cuff and they have very poor blood supplies. I just hope we give him time to heal and not rush him back. I'm not overly concerned if Diles or Adibi go back to SAM. They did pretty OK there last year. Like C&D said, the ligament he strained holds the femur and the fibula and keeps the bones from seperating, so I would be very careful with this injury if I didn't want to make things worse than they are. After a quick google search, I found some interesting articles on blood supplies to ligaments, but nothing specific to this topic.

Indeed, ligaments have poor blood supply. However, articular cartilage in general has equally poor blood supply. This is why articular cartilage has virtually no regenerative power.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM

We know he's big on the big lifts. Wondering if that weakens the knees over time?

This is certainly a possibility if he came down somewhat uncentered (bow-legged)
with ultra heavy weights beyond his stable control.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2009, 10:50 PM
A strain is a partial tear. Thankfully it's not a full thickness tear.

The Chronicle is again reporting a sprain rather than a strain.

Texans rookie Cushing out with sprained knee

The Texans' first-round draft choice should miss 2-3 weeks and be back to 100 percent for the regular season opener.

“He’s going to wear the brace from two to four days until the swelling goes down, and then he can start on his rehab,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “We feel very positive that Brian’s going to be ready to go for this season.”

After practicing Tuesday and doing his weight work that night, Cushing complained of soreness in his left knee. Rather than attend his position meetings, Cushing was sent to get an MRI that showed the sprain.

We're expanding the recovery period again........I'm curious if come 3 weeks we get another story..........hopefully not.

[FOR THE WHOLE STORY (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6569754.html)]

Norg
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
U know even if Cushing is 100% come wk 1 i dont think he should be the starter dontcha think having a guy with some games under his belt would be better to start and less risky

i dont think throwing a rookie out there wk1 is such a good idea

ObsiWan
08-12-2009, 11:05 PM
The Chronicle is again reporting a sprain rather than a strain.

We're expanding the recovery period again........I'm curious if come 3 weeks we get another story..........hopefully not.

[FOR THE WHOLE STORY (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6569754.html)]

I, for one, hope that they take their time bringing him back. I don't think we're so desperate at LB that we need to risk imcomplete/improper healing; especially if Diles starts off like he did last year.

rollinstone18
08-12-2009, 11:17 PM
U know even if Cushing is 100% come wk 1 i dont think he should be the starter dontcha think having a guy with some games under his belt would be better to start and less risky

i dont think throwing a rookie out there wk1 is such a good idea

demeco ryans disagrees.

ObsiWan
08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
demeco ryans disagrees.

so does Mario Williams.
:fans:

JayCee
08-13-2009, 12:01 AM
fingers crossed they are correct for once with their projection on when a player is coming back from an injury.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2009, 07:17 AM
I, for one, hope that they take their time bringing him back. I don't think we're so desperate at LB that we need to risk imcomplete/improper healing; especially if Diles starts off like he did last year.

I agree, that's a point I tried to make earlier re. a hurried return to action. However, in this post, I was referring to hoping we don't get another story in 3 weeks conerning the EXTENT of his injury.

Thorn
08-13-2009, 07:33 AM
I agree, that's a point I tried to make earlier re. a hurried return to action. However, in this post, I was referring to hoping we don't get another story in 3 weeks conerning the EXTENT of his injury.

Mario had foot problems most of his rookie year, now look at what he's doing. Not say this is going to be the case with Cushing, but it's not the end of the world if he stays out a bit. Injuries happen, we just got lucky last year when we didn't have a whole lot of them. The injury list for other teams is mounting up as well, so we're no different than them.

nunusguy
08-13-2009, 07:50 AM
AJ in the Houston Examiner reports that Cushing previously had this same knee scoped. Now that's troubling. And Cushing has such a lengthy injury history in college. Dam !
At first I thought of Benny Joppru when I heard about this, but with all the other rumors whirling around Cushing about you know what before the Draft, now the name that pops into my mind is another LB named Brian who had an illustrious college career in a major football program (just north of the Red River) but busted big-time in the NFL.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
AJ in the Houston Examiner reports that Cushing previously had this same knee scoped. Now that's troubling. And Cushing has such a lengthy injury history in college. Dam !
At first I thought of Benny Joppru when I heard about this, but with all the other rumors whirling around Cushing about you know what before the Draft, now the name that pops into my mind is another LB named Brian who had an illustrious college career in a major football program (just north of the Red River) but busted big-time in the NFL.

With the history of knee scope, and several ankle traumas and arthroscopy, somebody better hold him back from performing any heavy vertically oriented weight bearing exercises, which put unusual pressure on the knee and ankle articular surfaces. They are evidently already compromised (thinned) from previous trauma and resurfacing planing procedures. The more the trauma, the closer to "bone to bone" and its accompanying arthritis picture comes in to play. Just carrying around the massive weight he has for his frame, simply standing and walking, contributes to the ongoing trauma to his lower extremity joint surfaces. You can't help most of the playing trauma you incur, but you can be smart about the weight lifting program you choose to follow.

Tailgate
08-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Sheesh.... you guys sure now how to depress me with all this "Doctor" talk.

badboy
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I am going to look at this as a chance to let Diles show how he has recovered. He was doing pretty good as the starter prior to his injury. If Cushing comes back and is named over Diles, then we have a pretty good LB crew going imo. Adibi is no slouch either.

Dan B.
08-13-2009, 12:05 PM

You know, I made that same comparison during the draft. I'm not afraid to admit that it was totally wrong. I haven't seen Cushing making any movies yet at least. From what little I've seen of his personality, he seems a lot more willing to play football and ignore the celebrity crap than does the Boz.

gary
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I just saw a video of Cush on the local KHOU news he was walking around at an indoor team practice wearing a brace. It was said that he won't miss that much time.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I just saw a video of Cush on the local KHOU news he was walking around at an indoor team practice wearing a brace. It was said that he won't miss that much time.

Hope that's true, but KHOU has no more information to work with as to when he may return as we do...........even though they, like many other media, they usually tout their information to be inarguably insider solid stuff.:thinking:

m5kwatts
08-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Saw it too...he totally downplays injury... I get the feeling that if Saturday's game counted he'd be fighting the staff tooth and nail to be out there starting.

nunusguy
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I hear he may be headed to Birmingham to visit Dr. Andrews, atleast that's
reportedly what his agent wants him to do ? I'd be interrested in C-nn-Ds thoughts on getting that exam ? Good idea or can they accomplish what they need to from visiting local doctors ?

HOU-TEX
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
reportedly what his agent wants him to do ? I'd be interrested in C-nn-Ds thoughts on getting that exam ? Good idea or can they accomplish what they need to from visiting local doctors ?

No, Condon just wanted Andrews to look over the MRI results. Second opinions never hurt, especially from Andrews.

gary
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Hope that's true, but KHOU has no more information to work with as to when he may return as we do...........even though they, like many other media, they usually tout their information to be inarguably insider solid stuff.:thinking:We'll see what happens Cloak, all I am doing is playing the role of a reporter.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Isolated injuries of the lateral collateral ligament are uncommon and typically occur in association with ACL or posterior cruciate ligament tears. Injuries of the lateral compartment are complex, usually with injuries to multiple components; they are often more disabling than injuries of the medial structures because of the greater forces to which lateral structures are subjected during normal walking movements. Besides other ligament damage, you worry about lateral meniscal tears, lateral tibial plateaus or medial femoral condyle bone bruises or fractures. You also have to consider a condition called iliotibial band syndrome. The iliotibial band spans from the hip, crosses the knee joint on its lateral surface, attaching to the tibia. It’s a structure that helps stabilize the knee laterally and assists in flexion of the knee joint. This syndrome occurs with “bow-legged” stresses on the knee (ala extreme vertical weight lifting). When this band becomes inflamed from trauma, it no longer allows fluid motion of the knee, and creates increasing pain. Continued offending stress only worsens the condition. So those are the things that you wound be trying to identify or rule out with MRI. Remember that potential stress fractures may not be identified radiographically clearly immediately, and may be delayed for 1-2 weeks.

I don't know that it would be necessary to leave the Med Center for a 2nd opinion. But I would be surprised if another MRI and/or bone scan is not requested by whatever Orthopod does see him. And I would be surprised if there is not worry that something is being missed.................again, hopefully not.

awtysst
08-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Isolated injuries of the lateral collateral ligament are uncommon and typically occur in association with ACL or posterior cruciate ligament tears. Injuries of the lateral compartment are complex, usually with injuries to multiple components; they are often more disabling than injuries of the medial structures because of the greater forces to which lateral structures are subjected during normal walking movements. Besides other ligament damage, you worry about lateral meniscal tears, lateral tibial plateaus or medial femoral condyle bone bruises or fractures. You also have to consider a condition called iliotibial band syndrome. The iliotibial band spans from the hip, crosses the knee joint on its lateral surface, attaching to the tibia. It’s a structure that helps stabilize the knee laterally and assists in flexion of the knee joint. This syndrome occurs with “bow-legged” stresses on the knee (ala extreme vertical weight lifting). When this band becomes inflamed from trauma, it no longer allows fluid motion of the knee, and creates increasing pain. Continued offending stress only worsens the condition. So those are the things that you wound be trying to identify or rule out with MRI. Remember that potential stress fractures may not be identified radiographically clearly immediately, and may be delayed for 1-2 weeks.

I don't know that it would be necessary to leave the Med Center for a 2nd opinion. But I would be surprised if another MRI and/or bone scan is not requested by whatever Orthopod does see him. And I would be surprised if there is not worry that something is being missed.................again, hopefully not.

Does the fact that he was walking around wearing a brace tell us anything? I was under the impression that a grade 1 sprain is one where a person can walk, a grade 2 is when a person can walk with an obvious limp, and grade 3 the person cannot put any pressure on it. So, if he is walking does that tell us possible grade 1 or grade 2 sprain?

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Does the fact that he was walking around wearing a brace tell us anything? I was under the impression that a grade 1 sprain is one where a person can walk, a grade 2 is when a person can walk with an obvious limp, and grade 3 the person cannot put any pressure on it. So, if he is walking does that tell us possible grade 1 or grade 2 sprain?

Actually, awtysst, Grade III sprains can be associated with LESS pain than Grade II sprains. All grades can walk with braces, and actually usually without, although there is significant instability of gait with Grade III. My guess is that they believe he is most likely dealing with a Grade I or II.............and, if the Texans are really really fudging, a Grade III. But there is still that question of undiagnosed associate injury as I reviewed in my previous post.

texansdrummer
08-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I like that the Texans are being extremely cautious about this situation and taking all means necessary in order to have it thoroughly evaluated. Given Cushing's nature, I'm sure if this were the regular season, he'd just play. He's clearly got a high motor and is willing to risk life and limb to perform at the highest level....even in practice. Yes, he's had a slate of injuries, but UNLIKE many of our other problematic players w/injuries, he ALWAYS comes back. I think someone needs to slow him down a bit....he's likely trying TOO hard, but I'll take that anyday vs. the alternative. Nice to (finally) have someone like that on our team. Let's hope we can tone him down a bit and then let him out on game days!!!!!:whip:

Brisco_County
08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
I just want to make sure the guy has a chance to sack Sanchez in week 1.

steelbtexan
08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
If I was Cushing I would get a 2nd opinion from DR. J.Gugenheim.

He works at Texas Orthopedic hospital and is one of the top ortho docs in the world.

He did my 14 year old sons foot surgery (The Yao surgery) Friday and how he rebuilt his foot amazed me.

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2009, 07:05 AM
If I was Cushing I would get a 2nd opinion from DR. J.Gugenheim.

He works at Texas Orthopedic hospital and is one of the top ortho docs in the world.

He did my 14 year old sons foot surgery (The Yao surgery) Friday and how he rebuilt his foot amazed me.

Indeed, Dr. Gugenheim is an excellent pediatric orthopedic surgeon, especially well-known for his limb lengthening technique expertise. However, Orthopedics has become a highly subspecialized surgical specialty. A surgeon dealing strictly in sports medicine would probably be more appropriate.

HouSportsWriter
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
i no what happend.....

he was seting up his big toy the *blah blah blah* chamber and he twisted it

damn u sience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
i no what happend.....

do you know or do you no?

HouSportsWriter
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
-.- im never ever guna show yall my report card ... lmao

HouSportsWriter
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
it like this.....

math F
science F
english F-
history f

texans pride A+

nero THE zero
08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
do you know or do you no?

No.

badboy
08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
No.
No, he knows....nothing.

rmartin65
08-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Damnit, he is back

HouSportsWriter
08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
**** yall man

i suck at spelling i admit

yall need to ****ing cheal

i let this go to far and now im pissed

Specnatz
08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
**** yall man

We get your a terrible speller, hell so are a lot of people in america. But you type like most kids do in text message form and here it is not appropriate. not to mention the site has a spell checker. Use it when you type a message and stop using text message abbreviations when it is not appropriate to do so.

Oh and I doubt seriously if anyone gives a rats ass if you are pissed or not.

Thorn
08-14-2009, 05:41 PM
**** yall man

I, for one, don't give a **** about your spelling, because it's the frigging internet so I'm not sure why anyone cares. It's a free country and a free internet (well, not free, but you know what I mean).

Keep posting and ignore the grammer Nazis. But I would work on those grades if I was you.

gtexan02
08-14-2009, 05:58 PM
We get your a terrible speller, hell so are a lot of people in america. But you type like most kids do in text message form and here it is not appropriate. not to mention the site has a spell checker. Use it when you type a message and stop using text message abbreviations when it is not appropriate to do so.

Oh and I doubt seriously if anyone gives a rats ass if you are pissed or not.

its easy to ignore a user if you don't want to read their messages. Who cares how they speak or how they type. Maybe its faster for him to talk in txt form. Its an internet messageboard, not an english essay. Type however you want

disaacks3
08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
its easy to ignore a user if you don't want to read their messages. Who cares how they speak or how they type. Maybe its faster for him to talk in txt form. Its an internet messageboard, not an english essay. Type however you want Actually, I'd like to read his messages - therein lies the problem. It's sometimes almost 'painful' to do so. I spend more time "decoding" the message than processing the meaning.

I think he does actually have something worthwhile to contribute to the discussion, but it's like hitting a sinkhole when I get to the message.

Thorn
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Actually, I'd like to read his messages - therein lies the problem. It's sometimes almost 'painful' to do so. I spend more time "decoding" the message than processing the meaning.

I think he does actually have something worthwhile to contribute to the discussion, but it's like hitting a sinkhole when I get to the message.

I used to be a mod on a BBS, and the problem with that is you HAVE to read every post whether you want to or not. But, we are not mods, the mods are the mods, so let them read the posts we don't want to.

I'm not picking on you personally, so don't get upset with me. My point all along is the internet is a free form communication medium and we should NEVER allow any censorship of that. And yes, that would include negative responses to my posts or any post.

disaacks3
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I used to be a mod on a BBS, and the problem with that is you HAVE to read every post whether you want to or not. But, we are not mods, the mods are the mods, so let them read the posts we don't want to.

I'm not picking on you personally, so don't get upset with me. My point all along is the internet is a free form communication medium and we should NEVER allow any censorship of that. And yes, that would include negative responses to my posts or any post. I'm not upset in the least. I'd really LIKE to read what the young man has to say.

Specnatz
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
For those that commented to me, I was responding to his post and have never said one way or the other how he should type until he started acting like a child who is upset.

Thorn
08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not upset in the least. I'd really LIKE to read what the young man has to say.

It's all in the training. Drink heavily, type a message, and the next day try to read it. After a while you get pretty good at it. Or, be a mod for a while and have to read all this ****. Either way you can learn.

The guy that is prompting all this discussion is either a troll or just simply can't handle a keyboard. In all honesty, I don't know which is the case. I'm just defending him against grammer Nazis which I have a serious problem with.

I could end up getting a real black eye out of this, but my point is still the same.

gtexan02
08-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I find them kind of funny. Every once in a while, this board gets awfully serious. Im sure its all an act, but somehow it works for me every once in a while

Carr Bombed
08-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey! If we didn't hold ourselves to higher grammar standards, then what would be the difference between this board and a Titans' board? :)

Thorn
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey! If we didn't hold ourselfs to higher grammar standards than what would be the difference between this board and a Titans' board? :)

I'm sorry, but it should have been "ourselves" not "ourselfs". Also, "than" should have been "then". You loose. You are ejected from the board.

However, in my mightyness as Galatic Ruler Of Grammer on the TexansBBS, you can send me ten bucks for beer, and I'll forgive you.

76Texan
08-14-2009, 07:12 PM
it's all in the training. Drink heavily, type a message, and the next day try to read it. After a while you get pretty good at it.

lol lol!

SteveSlaton20
08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry, but it should have been "ourselves" not "ourselfs". Also, "than" should have been "then". You loose. You are ejected from the board.

However, in my mightyness as Galatic Ruler Of Grammer on the TexansBBS, you can send me ten bucks for beer, and I'll forgive you.

Hmmmm

BigBull17
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Hmmmm

Thats why I never correct internet grammer. When I do, I always make typo's and look like an ass.

Specnatz
08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats why I never correct internet grammer. When I do, I always make typo's and look like an ass.

It is ok he is drinking which makes him a professional at it.

DocBar
08-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I wonder if Cushing's grammar was affected by his injury....I agree w/ Thorn that it IS a fee country, so I guess we can ***** about grammar AND get inundated with it. I DON'T like the text message crap, though.

Carr Bombed
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I already fixed those before you posted (but thanks), that's what I do. LOL. I'm not a good speller either, but I usually go over everything I type and fix it.

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
It's unfortunate that this thread like others has been hijacked by Slatonisabeast. Grammar and spelling, in this case, is not the problem. Purposeful dysfunctionality is.

Thorn
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Three billion years ago we were one celled slime. Two hundred thousand years ago we were walking upright. A few years ago were got the Texans.

All things take time.

bckey
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM

I'll send you 10 bucks for the first twelve pack and the next one is on you. Beats whatever they are gonna charge this year for 1 beer at Reliant.

Thorn
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I'll send you 10 bucks for the first twelve pack and the next one is on you. Beats whatever they are gonna charge this year for 1 beer at Reliant.

I'm sorry, but at this time I'm starting my own religion. Please send me whatever money you have, and I promise you a good life. Really.

barrett
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Am I a grammar Nazi if I can't spell but always correct people on Kevin Walter[s]? Just curious where I would fall in this discussion? Hypocrite? I dunno. Sounds good to me.

Go Texans.

76Texan
08-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Three billion years ago we were one celled slime. Two hundred thousand years ago we were walking upright. A few years ago were got the Texans.

All things take time.

Thorn is getting all philosophical.
He must be on a binge, LOL!

steelbtexan
08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
i no what happend.....

Damn u spelin
redin
rithmatic
ritin

Publik scul all str

This is how I type after I've had a few.

ObsiWan
08-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Am I a grammar Nazi if I can't spell but always correct people on Kevin Walter[s]? Just curious where I would fall in this discussion? Hypocrite? I dunno. Sounds good to me.

Go Texans.

I would classify that as a pet peeve. One I share with you. I mean how hard is it look up our guys' names if you're not sure.

now what was this thread supposed about...?
oh yeah, Cushing and his strained knee
:ouch:

b0ng
08-15-2009, 09:07 AM
It's unfortunate that this thread like others has been hijacked by Slatonisabeast. Grammar and spelling, in this case, is not the problem. Purposeful dysfunctionality is.

I like to consider slatonisabeast our own little Horvil Tiki (http://horviltiki.com/), only without the comedy.

Wait, that's not good at all.

Marcus
08-15-2009, 04:03 PM
I pirsonali kudnt giv 2 chitz how bad yu spel as long as yur cohairint.

But if yur posts cant be cohairint you shudnt post at all.

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I pirsonali kudnt giv 2 chitz how bad yu spel as long as yur cohairint.

But if yur posts cant be cohairint you shudnt post at all.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

I try not to be a grammar nazi because everybody makes mistakes, misspellings, etc. And it's a law that if you get after someone for their poor spelling or grammar, your response is going to have some glaring fault.

Poor spelling and poor grammar really does irritate me but I'll put up with it as long as I can understand the message. And that's the problem with poor grammar and poor spelling, it frequently obscures the message. There are some people that I consistently cannot understand. That doesn't mean that they don't have good points or good logic, I just don't understand what those points are. Instead of getting on them about it, I try to just skip their messages.

I try.

I don't always succeed.

I will occasionally try to be helpful with someone who has a misunderstanding... like a phrase that they've misinterpreted or something like that. But I try to take that offline.