PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs Texans - Preseason Game 1

Wolf
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (0-0)
VS.
HOUSTON TEXANS (0-0)

PRESEASON GAME #1
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15, 2008 – 7:00 pm (central)
ARROWHEAD STADIUM – KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

THE MATCH-UP

The Todd Haley era officially gets underway on Saturday when the Chiefs host the Houston Texans in the preseason opener for both clubs at Arrowhead Stadium (8/15). The second-youngest head coach in Chiefs history, Haley was named to that post on February 6th after serving a two-year stint as the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli is also entering his initial campaign in Kansas City, and has made several key off-season additions to the Chiefs roster. QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel were acquired from New England in exchange for a second-round draft choice. Notable free agent acquisitions for the Chiefs have included LBs Zach Thomas and Monty Beisel, WRs Bobby Engram and Amani Toomer, as well as G Mike Goff, S Mike Brown and C Eric Ghiaciuc. All of the club’s 2009 draft picks are in camp.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey returns for his second season in that role. KC’s offense features two-time Pro Bowl RB Larry Johnson (D1-03), who needs 433 more yards to become the all-time leading rusher in franchise history. WR Dwayne Bowe (D1-07) posted 86 catches for 1,022 yards with seven TDs in 2008. Four-time Pro Bowl G Brian Waters returns on the offensive line along with C Rudy Niswanger, as well as Ts Damion McIntosh and Branden Albert (D1b-08).

The Chiefs are making the transition to a 3-4 base defensive alignment in 2009 under new offensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. LB Derrick Johnson (D1-05) has moved to an ILB post, while LB Tamba Hali (D1-06) makes the transition from defensive end. The club’s defensive front also includes former LSU DEs Glenn Dorsey (D1a-08) and Tyson Jackson (D1-09), as well as DEs Alfonso Boone and Alex Magee (D3-09) and DTs Ron Edwards and Tank Tyler (D3-07).

Steve Hoffman coaches Kansas City’s special teams. That unit includes P Dustin Colquitt (D3-05) and K Ryan Succop (D7c-09). The Chiefs break camp next week and travel to Minnesota (8/21) for preseason Game Two.

more on the link
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/10/chiefs_vs_texans__preseason_game_1/

Wolf
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The Texans registered their initial regular season win against the Chiefs with a shocking 24-21 victory at Arrowhead (9/26/04) as CB Marcus Coleman’s 103-yard INT return TD dramatically turned the tide in the Texans favor. Kansas City dominated the inaugural regular season meeting between the two clubs as the Chiefs registered a 42-14 win at Reliant Stadium (9/21/03). Houston native WR Dante Hall scored on a 73-yard punt return TD in that contest, while RB Priest Holmes registered a pair of scoring jaunts.

I forgot about that.. that went from "oh no" to "Holly shi*t YEAH"

djohn2oo8
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Met Priest Holmes through my cousin, b/c they were good friends in high school, he is a cool dude

Norg
08-10-2009, 09:38 PM
iam pretty sure we are not going to show or unleash what our D can do maybe just give a little sample

other then that iam sure we will see who our #2 QB should be

Hervoyel
08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Interesting stuff. KC goes to a 3-4 and moves Derrick Johnson inside. Who here remembers all the "We can't take him because we run a 3-4" talk? If he does well in this then it's going to be one more reason why it's hard to look at Travis Johnson's fat worthless slug ass.

When I think about the first round draft picks of the C&C regime I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin
Travis Johnson

Now Andre Johnson probably would have been Charles Roger if Detroit hadn't been managed by a drooling ***** named Matt Millen so we're just dumb-lucky that C&C lucked into going 1-4 on those. It could easily have been 0-5.

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.

Norg
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
we could have had both julius Peppers and Ben rothensbeger ............

dalemurphy
08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
The reality is that the team has floundered, not because of 1st round decisions, but because of the fiasco that Casserly made out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds... along with FA.

Charles Hill
Tony Hollings
Vernon Morency
Phillip Buchanon (traded for with a 2nd and a 3rd)
Babin (traded away a 2nd, 3rd and 4th)
Seth Wand
Dave Ragone

uggh. I'm going to go vomit now!

Carr Bombed
08-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Interesting stuff. KC goes to a 3-4 and moves Derrick Johnson inside. Who here remembers all the "We can't take him because we run a 3-4" talk? If he does well in this then it's going to be one more reason why it's hard to look at Travis Johnson's fat worthless slug ass.

When I think about the first round draft picks of the C&C regime I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

Now Andre Johnson probably would have been Charles Roger if Detroit hadn't been managed by a drooling ***** named Matt Millen so we're just dumb-lucky that C&C lucked into going 1-4 on those. It could easily have been 0-5.

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.

I wouldn't lump Dunta into that group....the guy is atleast a legit starter and it's not like he's a top 3 pick. If we would've just been able to get "legit starters" with all our picks, we would not have been as bad as we were.

David Carr
Travis Johnson
and
Jason Babin aren't even starters. Dunta would actually start on alot of other teams in this league........when healthy.

dc_txtech
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
iam pretty sure we are not going to show or unleash what our D can do maybe just give a little sample

Please don't say that, I have nightmares of "vanilla" defenses in the preseason that lead to "vanilla" defenses in the regular season.

nunusguy
08-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't lump Dunta into that group....the guy is atleast a legit starter and it's not like he's a top 3 pick.
Even with the P-Burnt screw-up, Casserly got us some good DBs led by Robinson & Glenn in the Xpansion Draft. And this whole thing with Robinson went south and has gotten semi-ugly only because of the devastaing injury he suffered in '07. I suspect everything would have been different and Robinson would remain one of the most popular players in town, signed a new contract by now, etc. if not for that very unfortuante injury.
Then there's the Draft of '06 masterminded by Casserly which is without doubt head-and-shouders above any Draft anybody has had here to date. Casserly has left his mark here, some of it bad, but remember some of his smart moves - AJ, Robinson, Mario, DeMeco, OD, Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, et al.

Fred
08-11-2009, 06:47 AM

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

The reality is that the team has floundered, not because of 1st round decisions, but because of the fiasco that Casserly made out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds... along with FA.

Charles Hill
Tony Hollings
Vernon Morency
Phillip Buchanon (traded for with a 2nd and a 3rd)
Babin (traded away a 2nd, 3rd and 4th)
Seth Wand
Dave Ragone

uggh. I'm going to go vomit now!

Would you guys stop it please? Now everyone on the board is puking.

Hervoyel
08-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Even with the P-Burnt screw-up, Casserly got us some good DBs led by Robinson & Glenn in the Xpansion Draft. And this whole thing with Robinson went south and has gotten semi-ugly only because of the devastaing injury he suffered in '07. I suspect everything would have been different and Robinson would remain one of the most popular players in town, signed a new contract by now, etc. if not for that very unfortuante injury.
Then there's the Draft of '06 masterminded by Casserly which is without doubt head-and-shouders above any Draft anybody has had here to date. Casserly has left his mark here, some of it bad, but remember some of his smart moves - AJ, Robinson, Mario, DeMeco, OD, Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, et al.

Which is why I always refer to the "C&C regime". For whatever reason the two of them together were a train wreck. I don't think Capers has the sand to be a head coach in the NFL and I personally don't think much of Casserly the GM but he admittedly had a moment here and there. Together though they were actually less than the sum of their parts.

What I really want to know though is will the Chiefs be sporting their Dallas Texans gear? I want to see the Texans play the Texans.

Maddict5
08-11-2009, 08:30 AM

well DJ has shown to be a very ordinary 4-3 player.. which is what he wouldve been in in houston (after his rookie season)...

Hervoyel
08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
well DJ has shown to be a very ordinary 4-3 player.. which is what he wouldve been in in houston (after his rookie season)...

I'll take the ordinary LB over the "usually outplayed by street free-agent" DL every day.

Maddict5
08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I'll take the ordinary LB over the "usually outplayed by street free-agent" DL every day.

would you take an ordinary LB over a below average DT & a good RT though?:)

that draft pretty much sucked for everybody anyway so its hardly a standout bad pick by us when you compare it to our other infamous picks

Hervoyel
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
True but you've got to take into account that I've had four years to nurture my intense dislike for TJ so I'm going to hang on to that for as long as possible regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I understand that we got more than just TJ for trading down but it's depressing watching him get out-motored by damn near every free agent we bring in at his postion.

TheRealJoker
08-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Its funny how everyone references DJ when we talk about TJ but using hindsight we clearly screwed up by passing on Saints LT Jamaal Brown. Could've used the 3rd to take RT Erik Winston and wouldn't have needed Spencer.

But of course Ron Dayne would've probably ruined Brown's career as well so not so much would've really changed :(

Whoever said it earlier was spot on, its not the 1st round picks that were so devastating to our franchise in the early years. It was the fact that we were so terrible with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the first two years when we were given 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We should've been able to snare some really solid players but when we needed to draft solid starters in those rounds we just couldn't make it happen. Thankfully we've been making up for it though :)

badboy
08-11-2009, 11:19 AM

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.Travis Johnson "does what they tell him to do." At least that is the comment I got recently on another thread, when I posted about TJ. I am not sure what it is he does so well. Don't expect to see much from starters but I am focusing on new guys and back ups at this point anyway.

Wolf
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Head coach Todd Haley and quarterback Matt Cassel will make their respective debuts as members of the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday night, when the team opens its preseason schedule against the Houston Texans in the initial warm-up for both teams.

Haley, who presided over one of the league's most prolific offenses with the Arizona Cardinals over the past two years, is being counted on to help the Chiefs overcome a stretch of 6-26 football over the past two years.

One of the lynch pins of his recovery effort will be Cassel, who was obtained from the New England Patriots in a February trade that also yielded Kansas City outside linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Cassel, who hadn't started a game since high school, stepped in for an injured Tom Brady last season and went 10-5, throwing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions for a team that narrowly missed the playoffs.

Among Cassel's targets on Saturday will be another newcomer, ex-Giant Amani Toomer, who was acquired via free agency during the early stages of training camp.

The defense, coordinated by ex-Cardinals hand Clancy Pendergast, will include newcomers such as Vrabel, former Pro Bowl inside linebacker Zach Thomas, and rookie defensive end and No. 3 overall draft choice Tyson Jackson (LSU).

The Texans, meanwhile, will enter Saturday's contest seeking to take their first tentative steps toward the franchise's first-ever postseason berth.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1184396.html

Thorn
08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Can't wait for this, just can't wait. I know most of the game will be for 2nd string and wanna be's trying to catch on, but that's what makes pre-season games so much fun.

If they shorten the preseason, I hope they only do it by one game. They can then make it a 17 game schedule for the regular season, and give all the teams two byes. Makes it's a longer season, NFL makes more money, and we get to watch football over a longer period of time. I think the two byes a season would do all the teams a lot of good.

m5kwatts
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

Just to clarify, Charles Rogers was taken off the Texans' draft board according to CC. He said on NFLN during the draft that the organization soured on him for many reasons including legal troubles, personality and lacked coachability. Not to excuse his many errors but the org. did have Charles Rogers pegged correctly.

dalemurphy
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Can't wait for this, just can't wait. I know most of the game will be for 2nd string and wanna be's trying to catch on, but that's what makes pre-season games so much fun.

If they shorten the preseason, I hope they only do it by one game. They can then make it a 17 game schedule for the regular season, and give all the teams two byes. Makes it's a longer season, NFL makes more money, and we get to watch football over a longer period of time. I think the two byes a season would do all the teams a lot of good.

It's possible that I've never agreed with a statement more than I agree with this one!

SheTexan
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Hittin the road about midnight headed to KC. Can't wait to see our boys on the field. I know it's a long drive for a preseason game, but, I go see our "boys" anytime I get the chance. PLUS, I get to see DiapHer, aka Marcie!! Life is sweet!! Texan football and good friends!! Can't get any better than that!!!

Texan_Bill
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Hittin the road about midnight headed to KC. Can't wait to see our boys on the field. I know it's a long drive for a preseason game, but, I go see our "boys" anytime I get the chance. PLUS, I get to see DiapHer, aka Marcie!! Life is sweet!! Texan football and good friends!! Can't get any better than that!!!

Have fun and be carefull!! Give Marcie a big hug for me!! I'll get mine from you in about 8+ days. :heart:

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
It's possible that I've never agreed with a statement more than I agree with this one!

Me, too.

D-Frank
08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
kubiak said Mccain was starting opposite bennet, although he said Quin would alternate through the first half, i believe Mccain has been more impressive to the coaches. He IS starting, I just thought Quin had this in the bag

all bs aside I want whats best for our team:shades:

awtysst
08-13-2009, 07:46 PM
we could have had both julius Peppers and Ben rothensbeger ............

Not necessarily. Yes, we could have had Peppers, but who knows where our record would have been had we taken him? Had we taken Peppers in 02, we may have been looking for a QB in 03 to groom behind Banks. Even if we had the same record, we might have reached on QB for the first pick in 03 instead of taking AJ. I mean it could have been Peppers and Byron Leftwich!

DiapHer
08-13-2009, 10:11 PM

I am giving you a head start since we will only have about a 2 1/2 hour drive!!! :diapher: Please make sure you have Louie or Shadow drive because we all know how you are on the road :scarygirl:...god speed to you my friend until we see each other on Saturday!!!

80+ YANKEE'S will be representing the TEXANS :texflag: (hopefully they all got the memo to wear BLUE) The majority of us will be in the eastside lower bowl of the endzone...Sandy and I will try to recreate the BULLPEN!!! :kingkong:

I will take pictures and post when I can...and some might be getting some cell phone pictures that you can post if you like as we go!!!! I will make sure SheTexan keeps her clothes on :shetexan: for the well being of all the children on the board!!!

SheTexan
08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
:)HA HA!! Just wait until you see the shirt I'm bringing you!! THEN we'll wonder who's keeping thier clothes on!! :scarygirl:

Marcie and I will make sure those YANKEE Texan fans know the rules of the Bullpen!! Stand up and be LOUD!!

Gonna be fun!

DiapHer
08-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Have fun and be carefull!! Give Marcie a big hug for me!! I'll get mine from you in about 8+ days. :heart:

:blowakiss::friends::blowakiss:

disaacks3
08-13-2009, 11:31 PM
You guys ROCK THE HOUSE on our behalf, will ya!! :wild:

It's Kayla's first Texans game to watch...I want a "W"...even if it's pre-season! :texflag:

HOU-TEX
08-14-2009, 08:43 AM
You guys ROCK THE HOUSE on our behalf, will ya!! :wild:

It's Kayla's first Texans game to watch...I want a "W"...even if it's pre-season! :texflag:

Love the name! :winky:

Norg
08-14-2009, 09:40 AM
im sure we will beat thoes cheifs

Texans_Chick
08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Here's my Texans-centric review of the game:

Houston Texans - Kansas City Chiefs Preview: Some things to check out, 100% Vick-free (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/08/houston_texans_kansas_city_preview.html)

McCain was getting first teams reps this week, but was getting yelled at bigtime at yesterday's practice, but he should still start on Saturday.

HouSportsWriter
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Houston Texans - Kansas City Chiefs Preview: Some things to check out, 100% Vick-free (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/08/houston_texans_kansas_city_preview.html):spit::spi t::spit:

McCain was getting first teams reps this week, but was getting yelled at bigtime at yesterday's practice, but he should still start on Saturday.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thorn
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Houston Texans - Kansas City Chiefs Preview: Some things to check out, 100% Vick-free (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/08/houston_texans_kansas_city_preview.html)

As always, a good article. :texflag:

SteveSlaton20
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
i never get hyped up for a preseason game, but dammit, ive been waiting for football season to come in forever

Go Houston Go!:party::fans:texanpride:texan:

SteveSlaton20
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Not necessarily. Yes, we could have had Peppers, but who knows where our record would have been had we taken him? Had we taken Peppers in 02, we may have been looking for a QB in 03 to groom behind Banks. Even if we had the same record, we might have reached on QB for the first pick in 03 instead of taking AJ. I mean it could have been Peppers and Byron Leftwich!
not necessary.

david garrard was still around till the forth round. hes a great qb, and was the best one in the 02 draft.

badboy
08-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I am giving you a head start since we will only have about a 2 1/2 hour drive!!! :diapher: Please make sure you have Louie or Shadow drive because we all know how you are on the road :scarygirl:...god speed to you my friend until we see each other on Saturday!!!

80+ YANKEE'S will be representing the TEXANS :texflag: (hopefully they all got the memo to wear BLUE) The majority of us will be in the eastside lower bowl of the endzone...Sandy and I will try to recreate the BULLPEN!!! :kingkong:

I will take pictures and post when I can...and some might be getting some cell phone pictures that you can post if you like as we go!!!! I will make sure SheTexan keeps her clothes on :shetexan: for the well being of all the children on the board!!!Watch out for flying Jacoby Jones. I think he will be jumping in the end zone again.

mexican_texan
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I forgot about that.. that went from "oh no" to "Holly shi*t YEAH"
Not to mention the great AJ catch. That's the game that started my love affair with the Texans.

michaelm
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
KC’s offense features two-time Pro Bowl RB Larry Johnson (D1-03), who needs 433 more yards to become the all-time leading rusher in franchise history.

Man, is it just me, or is it almost unbelievable that this is Johnson's seventh season?

Khari
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM
the sooner i go to bed, the sooner the game will be here......

bckey
08-15-2009, 02:52 AM

This is exactly what I was talking about to a buddy of mine last week. I'm all for a longer season with 2 byes. And the 4th preseason game is pretty much useless already. Three seems like a perfect number.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Anyone have an injury report?

El Tejano
08-15-2009, 07:47 AM
This is exactly what I was talking about to a buddy of mine last week. I'm all for a longer season with 2 byes. And the 4th preseason game is pretty much useless already. Three seems like a perfect number.

I could've swore that one year they did have a 2 bye schedule back in the Oiler days.

Wolf
08-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Todd Haley says he hasn’t been to Arrowhead Stadium since becoming Chiefs head coach, preferring to wait for the day of the first home game to make the visit.

That comes with tonight’s exhibition opener against the Houston Texans. But Haley might not have as much time as he’d like for a leisurely tour. The demands of his job of specifically preparing for his first game as a head coach will see to that.

The Chiefs have a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive systems and 37 of their 80 players playing in Kansas City for the first time with the home team.

“Every part of Saturday night is going to be a steppingstone for us and for me,” Haley said this week. “There are a lot of different things to be worrying about. Just starting to look like a team as much as anything else.

“We’re not going to be real complicated, so I would say the most important thing is does everybody know what to do and then how well are we doing it. Going all the way back to (offseason practices), we want guys who do it the way we want it done, the way they’re being coached to do it, and then how well are they doing it. If we do that, I would imagine we would execute OK and, like I said, start to look a football team.”

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1384008.html?

Texan4Ever
08-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm looking foward to seeing DelJuan Robinson play over Travis Johnson at the DT spot next to Amobi Okoye. On the Houston Texans unofficial depth chart he is listed as a starter on our DL and is a mjor upgrade then TJ IMO.

Go Get Em' Texans! :wild:

b0ng
08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I like Todd Haley as a coach only because he is an absolute DICK to every one of his players, good bad or otherwise. Apparently during one of the practices, after an incomplete pass he give the two handed "T" to his defense signaling for them to call a timeout. All the defensive players then jumped to call a timeout only to be chewed out by Haley because you can't call a timeout after an incomplete pass.

D-Frank
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I like Todd Haley as a coach only because he is an absolute DICK to every one of his players, good bad or otherwise. Apparently during one of the practices, after an incomplete pass he give the two handed "T" to his defense signaling for them to call a timeout. All the defensive players then jumped to call a timeout only to be chewed out by Haley because you can't call a timeout after an incomplete pass.

LMFAO! thats a good way to keep em on their heels i guess

Vinny
08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
that's good stuff. I officially like this guy now. He'll probably piss me off in a few hours but for now, he's the man.

Fox
08-15-2009, 11:14 AM
No dice on getting the game televised in Dallas, looking forward to hearing a full report from you guys on how Barwin and the new DB's show up!

TEXANRED
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

But keep in mind that without Travis Johnson there would be no Eric Winston. We would of been left with Charles Spencer.

Thorn
08-15-2009, 02:03 PM
7PM can not get here fast enough.

m5kwatts
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
7PM can not get here fast enough.

Agreed, I'll start boozing and eating soon, which will put me to sleep right up until kickoff when I'll awaken to more booze and Red Bull and FOOTBALL.

Norg
08-15-2009, 06:28 PM
30 mins i got off of work early just so i can watch this game LIVE ..... :shades:

Ryan
08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
IF chris brown can stay healthy, we have an awesome back to compliment slaton.

Hardcore Texan
08-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I was impressed with Barwin and RB Brown tonight.