PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports article "Why Young, Bush and Leinart went bust"

Hookem Horns
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
This article didn't really address the "why" however it might be an interesting read for Texans fans since we were supposed to pick one of these guys.

Actually the comments were more entertaining than the article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9899800/Why-Young,-Bush-and-Leinart-went-bust

Bulluck53
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
VY is a bust because he is mentally weak. Forget the gun/suicide incident. He hears people say he can't get it done with his arm so he stops doing what he does best, running. He doesn't dedicate himself to improving enough to get his starting job from a 36 year old man who hasn't moved in the pocket in ten years. He has a team that he just has to know what going on (ie not make dumb mistakes) and he can succeed, yet he fails to do so.

Off topic, but I don't understand the quote in your sig. We played NYJ in week 12. If whoever wrote that meant week 15 then you guys won by a point, is that owning? If its some sort of joke then feel free to laugh at my ignorance.

Mr teX
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
VY is a bust because he is mentally weak. Forget the gun/suicide incident. He hears people say he can't get it done with his arm so he stops doing what he does best, running. He doesn't dedicate himself to improving enough to get his starting job from a 36 year old man who hasn't moved in the pocket in ten years. He has a team that he just has to know what going on (ie not make dumb mistakes) and he can succeed, yet he fails to do so.

Off topic, but I don't understand the quote in your sig. We played NYJ in week 12. If whoever wrote that meant week 15 then you guys won by a point, is that owning? If its some sort of joke then feel free to laugh at my ignorance.

I take it you weren't impressed with VY's performance last night?

Double Barrel
08-10-2009, 05:59 PM
VY looks like an overpaid 3rd string QB. Ramsey played better.

Hookem Horns
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. It was week 15, I just copied the quote and didn't think about it. Yes, obviously it was meant in humor since it made me laugh.

BTW, why the Titans want to promote the city of a division rival is beyond me. If I were a fan of a team that was stolen from another city I would probably want to forget that fact and not have the team reminding me of that even if it is just for nostalgia.

Blazing Arrow
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM
http://www.www.bleacherreport.com/articles/231043-vince-young-reports-of-his-career-demise-have-been-greatly-exaggerated

The link is from bleacher report but I can not believe someone came up with 9 pages of excuses for Young. Just amazing.

Bulluck53
08-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I take it you weren't impressed with VY's performance last night?

Its not even about last night. People write fluff articles about how he is working hard in the offseason and trying to get on the same page as his receivers, etc, but it doesn't show on the field. He has trouble reading defenses and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has lost the confidence that made him so good in college and he needs to get back to what he did best in order to regain that confidence. He needs to learn to actually go through his reads and if nothing is there don't hesitate and take off. He has the ability but just can't put it together in his head. I would love for him to be our QB of the future but its just not going to happen.

I'm not worried about his throwing motion, accuracy would come with more confident passes and knowledge of what the defense is doing each play.

VY looks like an overpaid 3rd string QB. Ramsey played better.

I think the coaches feel the same way. It might not show up that way when the season starts (if VY is still with the team) but it will be interesting to see who gets the nod if Collins goes out.

Spled
08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Vince has gone from being overrated to underrated. He should never have been rookie of the year, it should have been Maurice Jones Drew. He was getting most of the credit for playing on a great team until people started to see through that. Now people go the other way and say he's a bust. I see him being like Vick. He can defenses problems with his scrambling, but he's never going to have a great deep ball.

brakos82
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Yall are a bunc of raceists

http://www.slapyo.com/wp-content/thats_racist.gif

steelbtexan
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
You're asking VY to learn how to read defenses? LOL

I'm not sure VY has the ability to learn much of anything as his 6 on the Wunderlich would seem to suggest.

Double Barrel
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Vince has gone from being overrated to underrated. He should never have been rookie of the year, it should have been Maurice Jones Drew. He was getting most of the credit for playing on a great team until people started to see through that. Now people go the other way and say he's a bust. I see him being like Vick. He can defenses problems with his scrambling, but he's never going to have a great deep ball.

I've seen Vick, and VY is no Vick.

Plus, NFL defenses figured Vick out, and they would use the same against VY. So he would be forced to rely on his arm and his ability to play QB. Wow, I actually typed that with a straight face.

Thorn
08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow. I was SO wrong about Vince Young. * hangs head in shame *

Hookem Horns
08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow. I was SO wrong about Vince Young. * hangs head in shame *

Yeah me too. Actually I never thought of the guy as an NFL QB until I started falling for all of the hype after the Rose Bowl. Of course a big part of my problem back then was I just wanted David Carr gone and I knew VY would instantly make the Texans the most popular NFL team in Texas.

Man, we really dodged a bullet in the 2006 draft. Imagine if the Texans would have drafted VY or Leinhart. It would have been David Carr all over again. Bush wouldn't have been as bad since the Texans still might have landed Schaub.

I heard someone say before that draft that if the Texans screw up that draft that it would set them back for years. Man, it sure would have especially if the Texans would have drafted one of those bust QBs. They would have never signed Schaub and we would still be waiting for either VY or Leinhart to develop like we did with Carr.

m5kwatts
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
It just goes to show you, college production means SQUAT when it comes to evaluating a player as an NFL prospect. Charles Rogers is the all-time receiving yards leader at Michigan State. Chris Weinke. Jason White.

One guy to look out for who I think is in this same boat is Jeremy Maclin. There's a laundry list of knocks on this guy but the one prevailing factor that evaluators held on to was his "tremendous production" at Missouri.

Blazing Arrow
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah me too. Actually I never thought of the guy as an NFL QB until I started falling for all of the hype after the Rose Bowl. Of course a big part of my problem back then was I just wanted David Carr gone and I knew VY would instantly make the Texans the most popular NFL team in Texas.

Man, we really dodged a bullet in the 2006 draft. Imagine if the Texans would have drafted VY or Leinhart. It would have been David Carr all over again. Bush wouldn't have been as bad since the Texans still might have landed Schaub.

I heard someone say before that draft that if the Texans screw up that draft that it would set them back for years. Man, it sure would have especially if the Texans would have drafted one of those bust QBs. They would have never signed Schaub and we would still be waiting for either VY or Leinhart to develop like we did with Carr.

Imagine last season if our drafts were reversed. We would have KVB, M Williams and Haynsworth on the same D line. And we would get to play Young twice a season!

Your coach would probably be gone after last season and the comments about your O-line would have been relentless.

gg no re
08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
My balls shriveled up upon thinking about BA's proposed scenario.

Double Barrel
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Imagine last season if our drafts were reversed. We would have KVB, M Williams and Haynsworth on the same D line. And we would get to play Young twice a season!

Your coach would probably be gone after last season and the comments about your O-line would have been relentless.

The Saints would have drafted Mario before Bush if he was still on the board. You would probably have Reggie on your team right now, which is still better than VY as a third-string QB.

Specnatz
08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
The Saints would have drafted Mario before Bush if he was still on the board. You would probably have Reggie on your team right now, which is still better than VY as a third-string QB.

and they would not have Lenwhale and Millie Va Nillie.

Blazing Arrow
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM

I've never seen Bush throw a ball but I would probably agree he would be a better QB. We would have taken Lienart or Cutler IMO. We were still bent over at QB at the time. That was the same year as McNair's banning from the field so he would not injure himself working out or story goes.

Blazing Arrow
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
and they would not have Lenwhale and Millie Va Nillie.

I think we still would. I don't see us taking Bush. We needed a QB much more then we needed a RB at the time.

Double Barrel
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I've never seen Bush throw a ball but I would probably agree he would be a better QB. We would have taken Lienart or Cutler IMO. We were still bent over at QB at the time. That was the same year as McNair's banning from the field so he would not injure himself working out or story goes.

I'm glad that y'all didn't take Cutler. I would not want to be facing him twice a year. I think the kid is going to be one of the better QBs in the league when he fully matures.

Blazing Arrow
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm glad that y'all didn't take Cutler. I would not want to be facing him twice a year. I think the kid is going to be one of the better QBs in the league when he fully matures.

Sadly I wanted Leinart and was upset when we drafted Young.

HoustonFrog
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I was wrong on VY. I saw him at UT and despite some downfalls in his game I thought he really did understand the art of winning and getting it done, no matter what it takes. Flashes of this came about in his rookie year. Then he regressed and that was that.

Bulluck53
08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I think we still would. I don't see us taking Bush. We needed a QB much more then we needed a RB at the time.

Travis Henry was on the roster. Probably would have taken Cutler or traded down to do so.

infantrycak
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM

But will he ever fully mature? Popping off about Denver fans this week - that was just childish and unnecessary. Bag on the management if you like, but not the fans. I am interested to see how he reacts to a reduced passing game. I am sure the Bears will open up the offense from past years, but they still aren't going to throw the ball 550 times a season. Will he be happy with 350 - 400 attempts or will he start mouthing off about that?

Hardcore Texan
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
From the Fox article in the OP

"I don't know when I'll start again. But I will be the next black quarterback to win a Super Bowl. And I will be in the Hall of Fame," Young told Esquire in a piece published this month.

Future Hall of Famers usually know when they'll start again.

LMAO!

BigBull17
08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I was wrong on VY. I saw him at UT and despite some downfalls in his game I thought he really did understand the art of winning and getting it done, no matter what it takes. Flashes of this came about in his rookie year. Then he regressed and that was that.

I had the QB's pretty much spot on. I was in the 1/4th of the board who didn't think VY was going to be a decent QB. It wasn't very fun to be on the boards at that time.

Hookem Horns
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I had the QB's pretty much spot on. I was in the 1/4th of the board who didn't think VY was going to be a decent QB. It wasn't very fun to be on the boards at that time.

Really? I remember a lot of people bashing VY because they were all wanting Bush. I literally had to change my username for short period of time because of all the VY and UT hate.

Double Barrel
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
But will he ever fully mature? Popping off about Denver fans this week - that was just childish and unnecessary. Bag on the management if you like, but not the fans. I am interested to see how he reacts to a reduced passing game. I am sure the Bears will open up the offense from past years, but they still aren't going to throw the ball 550 times a season. Will he be happy with 350 - 400 attempts or will he start mouthing off about that?

I haven't heard about all that. I'm not defending the dude. I just think he's got the most "upside" out of that QB class (not hard to figure out in hindsight).

If he doesn't work out, that entire class might be one big BUST.

BigBull17
08-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Really? I remember a lot of people bashing VY because they were all wanting Bush. I literally had to change my username for short period of time because of all the VY and UT hate.

Well, I didn't really want Bush either, so I was screwed. I wanted trade back, Mario, or Fergison.