PDA

View Full Version : Next step for Schaub: Make the playoffs

Tailgate
08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
There's a distinct difference in the way Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub carries himself these days. It's apparent when he confidently eyes his teammates in the huddle. It's obvious when he's interacting with defensive players, special teamers and anybody else who doesn't make his living solely on offense.

"You can see that Matt knows this is his team now," Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. "He's more upbeat. He doesn't go into the tank when things don't go right. And you can tell that he knows the players around him know that he can play. He doesn't walk around like he has to prove himself now."

That's a critical realization for Schaub, because this is the season he really needs to elevate himself and his team in the process. He has the ability to play at a Pro Bowl level, especially when you consider his impressive combination of size (6-foot-5, 239 pounds), smarts and accuracy. The issue, however, is whether Schaub now can take this team into the postseason for the first time. That's the best way he can showcase his growth on a team that has finished 8-8 in each of the past two seasons.

Even Schaub admits that part of his excitement for the coming season has to do with Shanahan's assessment; the sixth-year veteran has settled into his job as Houston's leader....

Link to entire article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4388743

:texflag:

Hookem Horns
08-10-2009, 05:20 PM
For me, the next step for Matt Schaub is to stay healthy for an entire season. If he can do that we will be in great shape at the QB position and we should achieve the following step which is the playoffs.

DBCooper
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
For me, the next step for Matt Schaub is to stay healthy for an entire season. If he can do that we will be in great shape at the QB position and we should achieve the following step which is the playoffs.

I agree.

He stays upright and the Defense steps it up, Playoffs baby!

barrett
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I can't help but think that last year he was hit in the knee and got sick. That's it. Missed games are missed games. Period. BUT, I'm assuming he'll play 16. I won't say "here we go again" if he gets hurt. I don't know how that's fair. I feel like he had alot more lingering little injuries in his first season. Last year, I just don't see it. He got hit in the knee. (TWICE). He got sick once.

I'm more interested to see how his turnover ratio improves than any of this "stay healthy" talk. He's got all the tools needed. Just has to put it all together. I'm a fan.

GuerillaBlack
08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
All we really need to do is cut down on our turnovers. Especially in the Red Zone. That and if Matt stays healthy, playoff time in Houston.

Hookem Horns
08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
All we really need to do is cut down on our turnovers. Especially in the Red Zone. That and if Matt stays healthy, playoff time in Houston.

Not having Sage should help us improve in that area.

Texans_Chick
08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Not having Sage should help us improve in that area.

If you talk to the stat guys, they will also say that the Texans look to be playing easier pass/scoring defenses this season versus last. "Look to be" because from year to year those numbers change--the Jets could be better this year versus last--but there's no Vikings, Ravens, Steelers on the schedule.

Dapper
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I really think this will be Matt's breakout year. The o-line is in tune with Gibb's blocking scheme and i believe there are parts of his offensive scheme we haven't seen yet. With an established running game with Slaton, and a defense that's poised to give the offense better than average starting field position, I can see him earning a Pro-Bowl nodd if we protect the ball and the Texans make the playoffs. That's the only way we can get street cred it would seem.

I tried to make a prop bet with an old friend and Steeler homeboy that Schaub would go to the Pro-Bowl this year. I wanted 5:1 and he wouldn't take it. Would that have been a stupid bet? I don't think so.

Texans Pride
08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
At last Thursday's night practice, while getting autographs from the offensive players that were signing that night, someone said to Schaub, "Ready for the playoffs this year Matt?" Without hesitating he said, "We're going to the playoffs." Then he stopped signing, looked up at us, and with undeniable confidence, said flat out, "We will go to the playoffs."

It was a confidence and attitude I have never seen or heard from any Texans player, and it was an awesome feeling. The look on his face and the tone of his voice indicated he meant it from every part of his body, and that he wasn't going to let anything keep that from happening.

Let's go baby. . .I'm ready and on board!

TexansBlood
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
This is the yr! Book it

badboy
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
It is obvious that we have leaders, some like AJ or Mario do the job at a tremendous level and just force their will on the opponent. Some just never leave the field like Demeco and Pitts. I think Cushing will develop into this category, but I want a QB that the offense, defense, ST and even the kickers look to. Schaub began this process by contacting players immediately after signing his contract. I want to see him cheering the defense on. Yes, he will need most of his time listening to the OC and Kubes but to see the QB patting a D player on the back and yelling stick 'em is what I want. IMO Schaub can be a top 5 QB.

sakebomb
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
That is the next step for the entire team.

Cut down of turnovers
Score touchdowns in the redzone
Defense gets to opposing QB's
Defense doesn't give up a bizillion yards/points

Those are the keys to the season. Fix those four things and we are in. Quite simple isn't it? :mcnugget:

TheRealJoker
08-11-2009, 11:18 PM
The thing that stands out about Schaub's leadership style the most to me is the way he talks. He talks exactly like Coach Kubiak and Lil Shanny.

HOU-TEX
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread.

Anywho, here's a bold prediction with decent comments discussing the possibility of Schaub's fantasy numbers.

2. He's almost there already. Schaub finished 2008 seventh among QBs in fantasy points per game. This includes Week 9 at Minnesota, when Schaub was pulled at halftime with a knee sprain. His 8.0 yards-per-attempt average -- an indicator of aggressiveness and potency in the vertical passing game -- tied for second in the NFL with Drew Brees. Schaub's 66.1 completion rate was bested by only Chad Pennington, Kurt Warner, and Peyton Manning. Think about it for a minute. High completion rate + large YPA = deadly combination.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2009/08/another_bold_prediction_schaub.php