PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Jets @ Texans scorecard

Wolf
08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
first Calvin Pace

New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been suspended for the first four games of the 2009 NFL regular season for violating the league's performance-enhancing substance policy.

The NFL, announcing the suspension on Thursday, said Pace will be eligible to return after the Jets' Oct. 4 game against the New Orleans Saints.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4303126

now this with Shaun Ellis

The Star Ledger is reporting that New York Jets defensive end is going to be suspended for the week one game in Houston against the Texans.

Veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis is expected to be suspended for the opener against the Houston Texans for his arrest on Nov. 29 in Morris County for possession of marijuana, according to two league officials with knowledge of the situation.

They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they’re not authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

Ellis, who led the Jets with eight sacks last season, was stopped near the Jets’ Florham Park complex on a Saturday morning for speeding and police detected the smell of marijuana in his car. He had possession of less than 50 grams, a disorderly person offense in New Jersey. He was also cited for driving without insurance.

It is strange that the league would wait this long to suspend him. Regardless, the players are resposible for their actions. They need to realize that they can negatively impact the team with the decisions they make.

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=2689

I'd rather see the Jets at full strength but if not.. well nothing we can do about that , except pull out a freaking win :texflag:

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Our first win of the season!

Was going to be either way. ;)

DiehardChris
08-09-2009, 12:25 PM
After the way Rex Ryan's defense absolutely destroyed us last year - I'll be terrified of this game until it's over.

drewmar74
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
After the way Rex Ryan's defense absolutely destroyed us last year - I'll be terrified of this game until it's over.

Is he going to have the same kind of horses that he had in Baltimore? Are the Jets really going to be comfortable in his scheme by then?

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.

gtexan02
08-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Thats two of their best pass rushers. Our OL should be relived

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Ravens defense >>>>>>> Jets defense.

jaayteetx
08-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm expecting the fans to be rabid and the team will respond with a resounding home "W". Week 2, on the other hand, I'm a little worried about.

DocBar
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I can't see anything but a W for us here. Sanchez is supposed to be kicking butt as a rookie QB, but I think the real games are gonna be a surprise for him. BTW, what in the world is an NFL player doing with no auto insurance?? What a stupid individual.

DiehardChris
08-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Is he going to have the same kind of horses that he had in Baltimore? Are the Jets really going to be comfortable in his scheme by then?

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.

No, he doesn't have the same talent, aside from Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard (sp?).

But - his scheme is fantastic, plus - I'm a worrier. I started worrying about Owen, DeMeco, and Dunta's contract back in October, for example. LOL

ChampionTexan
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
No, he doesn't have the same talent, aside from Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard (sp?).

But - his scheme is fantastic, plus - I'm a worrier. I started worrying about Owen, DeMeco, and Dunta's contract back in October, for example. LOL

If scheme was all that, The Bengals would have multiple Super Bowl trophies brought to them by Dick LeBeau and/or Marvin Lewis!

Scheme's nice - scheme without adequate horses don't do much.

DiehardChris
08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
All I'm saying is - that game worries me. If you guys think we're just going to blow them out easily, that's fine - I'm not at all convinced of that. I think we'll win, but I think it's going to be a tough game.

ChampionTexan
08-09-2009, 01:50 PM
All I'm saying is - that game worries me. If you guys think we're just going to blow them out easily, that's fine - I'm not at all convinced of that. I think we'll win, but I think it's going to be a tough game.

Is there a game on the RS schedule that doesn't worry you?

DiehardChris
08-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Haha... well, not really. But if pressed:

Jax at home
Oakland at home
49ers at home
Seahawks at home

Not too concerned about any of those at this early date - but I'm sure I'll find reasons once it's the week of each of those games.

NitroGSXR
08-09-2009, 02:02 PM

I realize you're responding to DieHardChris but I have to chime in here.

To answer your question, no there is not a single game that does not worry me. The Texans have not won enough games for me to start talking smack. We haven't earned it yet. Until we win some more games... I'm going to be tentative because...

Any Given Sunday.

:fans:

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm with Nitro on this. I worry about every game. There's not a game on the schedule that I don't think we can find a way to lose.

That said, I'm expecting 9-7. Don't know if that will be good enough to make the play-offs. I'm hoping it is.

I'd really like to be wrong and for us to win 120 games.

ChampionTexan
08-09-2009, 02:08 PM

To answer your question, no there is not a single game that does not worry me. The Texans have not won enough games for me to start talking smack. We haven't earned it yet. Until we win some more games... I'm going to be tentative because...

Any Given Sunday.

We're fans - our main job is to worry about our team.

I'm not one of those who said the Texans will blow the Jets away. I'm just saying that it's no more likely that Rex Ryan turns the Jets D into a bunch of monsters in his first game as a HC than it is that the Texans blow out the Jets.

Given that the Jets will be missing 2 starters from what was a middle of the road D last year, and given that there are precious few blow-outs in the NFL, neither is likely to happen.

Insideop
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
This scenario (Jets-week 1, @ Titans-week 2) kind of reminds me of 2 years ago when we played the Chiefs-week 1 and @ Panthers-week 2. I don't think we were given much of a chance (at least on paper) to start out 2-0, especially playing that 2nd game at Carolina. That was the 1st game, I think, where we got a glimpse of what a high powered offense we could have with Schaub at QB. And then the walls came crashing down in week 3 with all the injuries. Fortunately, I think we are in better shape this year (depth wise) and can withstand some injuries without too much of a drop off in play, but I certainly hope we don't have anything like that again.

Though I don't like to "count my chickens before they hatch" I really feel we can, and should, beat the Jets opening day. They have a new head coach and a rookie QB. That alone should give us a leg up. I will be very disappointed if we "lay an egg" on opening day and get our butts handed to us. I just can't see that happening.

Then if we can go in and beat the "tacks" in week 2, that would be sweeeeeet! :smiliedance: JMHO!

Texan4Ever
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Even with Pace and Ellis suspended, the Jets have some excellent players on defense such as Brian Leonhard, Darelle Revis, David Harris, and Bart Scott. I just hope our offensive line can buy Schaub some time and hopefully we can minimize turnovers. The sight of Kris Jenkins squashing Schaub brings flashbacks of the Carr vs. Pats game where DC was absolutly destroyed!

Maddict5
08-09-2009, 04:00 PM

after oakland last yr, isnt there one you aren't worried about?

m5kwatts
08-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Even if Rex has his defense ready week 1, how is that team gonna score points?? Their passing game is pathetic (rookie QB, horrific receiving corps). Unless their gonna run the ball 60 times a game and we can't stop that, they won't score more than 10 points week 1.

Maddict5
08-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Even if Rex has his defense ready week 1, how is that team gonna score points?? Their passing game is pathetic (rookie QB, horrific receiving corps). Unless their gonna run the ball 60 times a game and we can't stop that, they won't score more than 10 points week 1.

the jets have a nice running game & we're not very good at stopping the run. i think 10 is optimistic for us.. it'll prob be in the 17 range

jppaul
08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Even with Pace and Ellis suspended, the Jets have some excellent players on defense such as Brian Leonhard, Darelle Revis, David Harris, and Bart Scott. I just hope our offensive line can buy Schaub some time and hopefully we can minimize turnovers. The sight of Kris Jenkins squashing Schaub brings flashbacks of the Carr vs. Pats game where DC was absolutly destroyed!

Yeah they are all solid players, but break it down. Leonhard looked good becuase he was surrounded by so much talent and his running mate at safety makes anybody look good. Not to say he isn't solid, but I don't think he will look as good as he did last year.

Revis is good, but against AJ who do you think that checkmark goes to. I like David Harris and I think he is a great fit for the scheme, but he isn't a dynamic playmaker, more of a solid reliable player who stays within his assignments. Bart Scott, I grade out the same way I did Leonhard.

I think it is a huge blow to lose a DE and a Pass Rush OLB in that defense. Nevertheless the game still scares me, as someone already said they all do.

barrett
08-10-2009, 01:14 AM

after watching the bills OLine in the first two series of the HOF game... I'm concidering putting money on that one.

RipTraxx
08-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Our front four against a Rookie QB? ill take it.

Welcome to the NFL rookie.

m5kwatts
08-10-2009, 03:50 AM
the jets have a nice running game & we're not very good at stopping the run. i think 10 is optimistic for us.. it'll prob be in the 17 range

Isn't this why we spent $30 million dollars in guaranteed money to Cushing and Antonio Smith? I expect run defense to be a strength not a weakness after handing out that coin.

And who are these blocking tight ends on the Jets who are gonna wash Cushing and Smith? Edge runs will be extremely difficult with those two guys and their lack of blocking tight ends. They won't be able to run off center all game when we know its coming.

dalemurphy
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
after watching the bills OLine in the first two series of the HOF game... I'm concidering putting money on that one.

I think I enjoyed watching the second quarter the most... My prediction is that VYoung will either enter the season as the Titans #3 qb or he will be waived before the season. He is a joke!

Giant Tiger
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Our front four against a Rookie QB? ill take it.

Welcome to the NFL rookie.

QFT :cool: I'd be more worried if they still had Pennington. But since they traded him away for a one year wonder... :tease: :shrug:

Vinny
08-10-2009, 09:19 PM
The Lions were undefeated in the preseason last year.

Norg
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Man i hope its the De and OLB on the same side that way we can just run down there throats at will and maybe then throw massive points upon them if we dont get at least 30+ points on them i will be shocked

barrett
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
The Lions were undefeated in the preseason last year.

I didn't pay attention to who won the game. I did pay attention to the interior lines for the first two periods.

I'll stand by my original post.

barrett
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I think I enjoyed watching the second quarter the most... My prediction is that VYoung will either enter the season as the Titans #3 qb or he will be waived before the season. He is a joke!

dude, seriously. I actually thought at one point that if the Bills hadn't muffed the punt and given him another chance he may have quit before they could release him!

dc_txtech
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM

I thought I read that the Titan's can't cut VY because with the hit on the cap it's better to just let him sit for another year.

barrett
08-11-2009, 12:20 AM
is there a cap hit if he just stops showing up?

there is an awesome shot of him sitting on the training table at the end of that game with maybe an injured guy or something and he just looks pathetic. if anybody has the ability to screen shot that it's in like the last minute or so of the game I think.

DiehardChris
08-11-2009, 12:28 AM
From LZ's Twitter (http://twitter.com/LanceZierlein):

Insiders in tennessee confide that VY's cap hit if cut is the only thing saving him this year. Team is very unhappy with his work ethic.

barrett
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
i don't know why i don't follow him. i follow all the players. he's a pretty good source.

Wolf
08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
not much news and we all knew it ,but Jets made it official

Jets tab Sanchez as starting quarterback

Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, inked a five-year contract believed to be worth $60 million, with $28 million of that guaranteed.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Florham Park, NJ (Sports Network) - The New York Jets have reportedly named rookie Mark Sanchez as their starting quarterback for the season opener September 13 against the Houston Texans.

http://www.ktsmradio.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104670&article=5931197

TexansFanatic
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Any Given Sunday.

Man, you nailed that one. Dead on.

There's not a team our boys can't play with. There's also not a team they can't lose to if they're not sharp.

mariowillshine15
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
I would rather have had Clemens starting for week 1 although Sanchez getting named starter was inevitable. You know what your getting with Clemens(not much). Sanchez may be a rookie but he has the talent to beat us.

V3rm0nt3r
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I would rather have had Clemens starting for week 1 although Sanchez getting named starter was inevitable. You know what your getting with Clemens(not much). Sanchez may be a rookie but he has the talent to beat us.

this is where you and i disagree. i watched the Monday Night game the other night and was hoping that Ryan would name his guy rather than Clemens as the starter. from the first time Sanchez dropped back the Ravens front 7 got in his face and even if the ravens only sent 3 or 4 he still looked far too uneasy. if Bush can razzle him early, send 5-6 for the first few passing downs, and get Mario into the backfield i see no reason why it won't work for us. He went 3-8 against Baltimore with a TD (which was a lucky break, as the D looked absolutely befuddled as they tried to figure out assignments before the snap and he ended up having Washington going deep in man coverage against an OLB not to mention that both Reed and Lewis were off the field at the time) and a pick 6 (first play of the game).

TexansSeminole
08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Well I will tell you one thing, this game is going to be a big test for our offensive line and their ability to pick up the blitz. Rex Ryan has already implemented a pretty complex blitz scheme in a short period of time. Just watching the Jets-Ravens game proves that; the blitz was coming from everywhere.

Carr Bombed
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Well I will tell you one thing, this game is going to be a big test for our offensive line and their ability to pick up the blitz. Rex Ryan has already implemented a pretty complex blitz scheme in a short period of time. Just watching the Jets-Ravens game proves that; the blitz was coming from everywhere.

This...

And it's also why I get frustrated year after every damn year, where we can even pull off a damn blitz of any kind.

mariowillshine15
08-27-2009, 02:17 AM
this is where you and i disagree. i watched the Monday Night game the other night and was hoping that Ryan would name his guy rather than Clemens as the starter. from the first time Sanchez dropped back the Ravens front 7 got in his face and even if the ravens only sent 3 or 4 he still looked far too uneasy. if Bush can razzle him early, send 5-6 for the first few passing downs, and get Mario into the backfield i see no reason why it won't work for us. He went 3-8 against Baltimore with a TD (which was a lucky break, as the D looked absolutely befuddled as they tried to figure out assignments before the snap and he ended up having Washington going deep in man coverage against an OLB not to mention that both Reed and Lewis were off the field at the time) and a pick 6 (first play of the game).

You make alot of sense but the way i see it is can we get pressure on him? If we can then yea we can rattle him and perhaps get some INTs. But if we can't and he gets to sit back there and get comfortable he has the arm to get it to his receivers and make plays, not to mention the comfort of having a 3 headed running game (Jones,Washington,Greene) which im sure they will use early and often if our run D doesnt fix itself.

If the run D isnt fixed they'll gash us left and right and then sucker us in on play action. David Clowney has the jets(no pun intended) to burn our secondary so i hope they watch him carefully, especially on play action.

TimeKiller
08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Sanchez the starter?

:money: cha-chiiiiing!!!!!!!! :money:

Chalk this one up as a win....and if we don't then ervrybody get your pitchforks and torches....

Thorn
08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Sanchez the starter?

Chalk this one up as a win....and if we don't then ervrybody get your pitchforks and torches....

http://patriotroom.com/images/upload/Pitchforks_and_torches.jpg

TEXANS84
08-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Sanchez the starter?

I don't know if I'd go that far. Sanchez looked pretty decent against a great Ravens defense the other night.

I just have a bad feeling about this game. Too many people are chalking this one up as a win, similar to the Chargers opening day game back in 2004. Nobody gave the Chargers a chance in hell, and they came in and shocked the hell out of us (no pun intended for the balloon incident that knocked out the power).

Wolf
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
NFL network is showing Jets-eagles. grante the starters aren't playing but it is the last look before week 1

Speedy
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Marvin Lewis was a defensive guru and even Dom Capers was good defense guy, but both of those guys as head coaches never had a defense worth a flip.

Rex Ryan is not a defense only guy any more. He's over the whole team. He has a D coordinator running the D.

Maybe Ryan does turn the Jets into a monster D but as history shows, it's not always the case.

As for worrying about this game, or any game for that matter, yes, I worry about them all because the Texans are quite capable of bad tackling, not stopping the run, and turning the ball over, for me to think they can't lose to teams they should beat.

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Here is a good Jets board, in case anyone is interested in visiting with a bunch of Jets fans:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php

Let's try not to throw shame on the whole city of Houston, OK?

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 09:09 AM
There are whispers that the Jets will be announcing a big deal, possibly a Brandon Marshal trade. Can't imagine that he would be ready by Sunday even if this occurs, but.........

False Start
09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Ive learned from watching this team over the years, to never count any game as a W. While I think we should handle the Jets, I wont start celebrating until there's no time left on the clock.

whiskeyrbl
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't know if I'd go that far. Sanchez looked pretty decent against a great Ravens defense the other night.

I just have a bad feeling about this game. Too many people are chalking this one up as a win, similar to the Chargers opening day game back in 2004. Nobody gave the Chargers a chance in hell, and they came in and shocked the hell out of us (no pun intended for the balloon incident that knocked out the power).

They also went 12-4 that year.

whiskeyrbl
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
The key to us winning against the Jets or anyone actually is going to be the success of our running game. If we can establish that early I think we are one of the top play action teams in pro football. If we are forced to come from behind late is when we will be in trouble if the D can just pin their ears back and come after Schaub.

Texans_Chick
09-07-2009, 09:28 AM
The key to us winning against the Jets or anyone actually is going to be the success of our running game. If we can establish that early I think we are one of the top play action teams in pro football. If we are forced to come from behind late is when we will be in trouble if the D can just pin their ears back and come after Schaub.

Actually, I think the key to this game is good Texans defense. The Ravens-Texans game was close for most of it, but then the Texans defense couldn't get the Ravens off the field. Then the Texans got into a come from behind mode and then the wheels totally fell off.

Silver Oak
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Here is a good Jets board, in case anyone is interested in visiting with a bunch of Jets fans:

interesting what this poster thinks.

Depending on the way Sheppard plays, it may wind up a 4-2 or 3-3. I can see Revis on Houston's #2 (Walter isn't too shabby) and a double on AJ. Gholston could see a fair amount of DE.
The problem with HOU is they can run also. Not a lot of base defense in this one.

AFTexanFan
09-07-2009, 10:26 AM

"I guess im just a worrier, thats why my friends call me whiskers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAhdtDmsOw

The scheme is great, and from what I have heard we will still be seeing Vernon Gholston in week 1 whom Rex Ryan really likes.

silvrhand
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
The Jets have a massive 1-2 punch in their running game, if they get the running game going on us it's going to be problematic. Let's hope that the defense that came to play after the long 75 yard run by Adrian is what we see next week. If they suck us in with the run it'll be very easy for Sanchez to throw down the field, which will be bad, it'll be just like he's at home again with USC.

Offensively I'm a bit confused/concerned again with Schaub, even though the throws a lot of yards it always seems like he's behind in his reads and never quite hits the receiver in stride giving us a hit on the YAC for the receivers. Our offense wasn't what I would consider outstanding early on so until they can sit down and drive the ball a couple games I'm still a bit nervous.

First few games are going to tell the season for sure.

b0ng
09-07-2009, 12:26 PM

http://Jetnation.com/forums has been very hospitable to me.

Capt. Spaulding
09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm not here to trash talk but what has your team done since coming into the league? Show promise? I'm not saying the JETS are the Ravens but you are not the PATS either.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm not here to trash talk but what has your team done since coming into the league? Show promise? I'm not saying the JETS are the Ravens but you are not the PATS either.

You're not here to trash talk but you're talking trash?

Come on, man. Get real.

You've got a talented team but at this point, you're realistically looking at 3rd in your division and out of the playoffs. You don't know what you've got, yet. You're hoping that Ryan improves your defense but defensive coordinators made into head coaches frequently don't improve the defense.

We've got a talented team and at this point, we're realistically looking at 3rd in our division and out of the playoffs. We're hoping for our first ever winning season. If our O continues to play like it did last year and our defense improves, we're going to be a tough team to beat.

You think your team is better and you think your team is going to win. And that's fine. We think our team is better and we think our team is going to win.

But don't come here and lie about not talking trash and then start talking trash.

False Start
09-07-2009, 04:51 PM

This is like saying, "I'm not trying to be an a$$hole, but I think your kid is ugly."

To answer your question, the Texans haven't done squat since coming into the league waaaaay back in 02. I'm not talking trash, but Superbowl III called, it wants it's claim to fame back. ;) :cool:

TEXANRED
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't find this to be talkin trash, just a true statement. All we have done over the past 3 years has been showing promise with a let down at the beginning of the season and a let down at the end of the season.

I will say this, we have more talent across the board than the Jets. But talent doesn't mean much if you can't put it all together.

I personally have a bad feeling about this game. I think Jones and Washington are going to run, run, run, run, and run. And then when they are tired of running a big pass play will be given up because our secondary will be out of position cus they are trying to play the run.

But then again we are getting DRob back, Cushing back, perhaps Reeves, and Diles is a pretty sure tackler. Combine that with Meco and we will see what we get. The D unit that played in preseason is not the same unit that will be taking the field opening day so maybe I am worried for no reason.

But in any case:

J!!!E!!!T!!!S!!! SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!

And what up with Jets and Eagles spelling out there team names? We know, we get it, you learned how to spell a word and we are all happy for you. Good for you. But must you spell it out every five minutes?

Capt. Spaulding
09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
You're not here to trash talk but you're talking trash?

Come on, man. Get real.

You've got a talented team but at this point, you're realistically looking at 3rd in your division and out of the playoffs. You don't know what you've got, yet. You're hoping that Ryan improves your defense but defensive coordinators made into head coaches frequently don't improve the defense.

We've got a talented team and at this point, we're realistically looking at 3rd in our division and out of the playoffs. We're hoping for our first ever winning season. If our O continues to play like it did last year and our defense improves, we're going to be a tough team to beat.

You think your team is better and you think your team is going to win. And that's fine. We think our team is better and we think our team is going to win.

But don't come here and lie about not talking trash and then start talking trash.

How is that trash talking? I said WE weren't the Ravens, didn't I? Yes. We are not. And I said you weren't the Pats. Are you. No. What I was pointing out that there seems to be a bit of bias here that is seen less on our site. I haven't read one post regarding this game that has the TEXANS losing. As a fan of my team for 30 years I've had to take a step back, on occasion, to be realistic when preditcing the outcome of a season or even a game prior to the season starting.

Jackie Chiles
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
How is that trash talking? I said WE weren't the Ravens, didn't I? Yes. We are not. And I said you weren't the Pats. Are you. No. What I was pointing out that there seems to be a bit of bias here that is seen less on our site. I haven't read one post regarding this game that has the TEXANS losing. As a fan of my team for 30 years I've had to take a step back, on occasion, to be realistic when preditcing the outcome of a season or even a game prior to the season starting.

If this game was in NY I think you would see a completely different perspective from a lot of people on this board. As it stands, we are 12-4 the last two seasons at home and Vegas has us as 5 point favorites. Couple these facts with the optimism that comes every year at this time I think you are being a little short sighted here. We recognize a lot of flaws in our team, trust me. Check this thread (you must have missed it) for some:http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64183

buddyboy
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM

You might see this cheery optimism now, but since your a noobie on this site, it get's ugly fast. Real fast. As in, if the first play of the game is botched, we're definitely doomed to 0-16 without a doubt.

Btw, you also said "what has your team ever done?" Honestly, we haven't done anything so far. But I don't care what a team has done in past years when we're playing against them, I care what they're going to do this year.

euro-Texan
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I just came from the jets insider site and didn't see anyone who though the Jets would lose on the road for week one.

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
I just came from the jets insider site and didn't see anyone who though the Jets would lose on the road for week one.

Oh yeah. I started a thread over there that is six pages long now. They all think they are going to win. Here is the thread:

Mark Sanchez, meet Mario Williams (and welcome to the NFL) (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198998)

I have tried to straighten them out, but so far they are not convinced.

DocBar
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah. I started a thread over there that is six pages long now. They all think they are going to win. Here is the thread:

Mark Sanchez, meet Mario Williams (and welcome to the NFL) (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198998)

I have tried to straighten them out, but so far they are not convinced.I just registered there and am awaiting account activation or moderator acceptance. They seem pretty confident, but only a few seem aware of anything not on ESPiN, which would make me confident if I were a Jet fan. It seems they haven't learned about living by the blitz and dying by the blitz. The West Coast offense was the biggest reason the 46 defense fell out of favor. Short timing passes eat up blitzes in general and the 46 in particular. Our entire offense is a much improved unit ans Schaub should be able to hit the hot read on their blitzes. I kinda hope they come a little overconfident. Maybe we can get a few TD's up before they realize the error of their way.

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I just registered there and am awaiting account activation or moderator acceptance. They seem pretty confident, but only a few seem aware of anything not on ESPiN, which would make me confident if I were a Jet fan. It seems they haven't learned about living by the blitz and dying by the blitz. The West Coast offense was the biggest reason the 46 defense fell out of favor. Short timing passes eat up blitzes in general and the 46 in particular. Our entire offense is a much improved unit ans Schaub should be able to hit the hot read on their blitzes. I kinda hope they come a little overconfident. Maybe we can get a few TD's up before they realize the error of their way.

Great point.

I think they have some people there that are quite knowledgeable, but just like here on TexansTalk, those guys are not the majority of posters.

One guy posted that the Jets were going to "bring the house" after Schaub, and other such boasts.

I told him if they bring the house, they can expect Andre Johnson to bring it TO the house. That seemed to wrap up that burgeoning line of discussion.

l_j_r
09-07-2009, 10:27 PM
... hey gang - big n.y. jets fan here ...

... let me start by thanking mojo for coming over to our sites and inviting us to come chat with you guys ...

... i'm very pumped for this season to start, as i'm sure you all are as well ...

... both of our teams have given us as fans a great gift going into this year ...

H - O - P - E

... to best express how i feel i need to steal a quote from one of my favorite movies ...

"Supermodels are beautiful girls, Will. A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack & Coke all morning. She can make you feel high, full of the single greatest commodity known to man... promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl... In her smile, in her soul, in the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are... Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels. A beautiful girl is all-powerful and that's as good as love. That's as good as love!"

l_j_r

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
... hey gang - big n.y. jets fan here ...

... let me start by thanking mojo for coming over to our sites and inviting us to come chat with you guys ...

... i'm very pumped for this season to start, as i'm sure you all are as well ...

... both of our teams have given us as fans a great gift going into this year ...

H - O - P - E

... to best express how i feel i need to steal a quote from one of my favorite movies ...

"Supermodels are beautiful girls, Will. A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack & Coke all morning. She can make you feel high, full of the single greatest commodity known to man... promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl... In her smile, in her soul, in the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are... Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels. A beautiful girl is all-powerful and that's as good as love. That's as good as love!"

l_j_r

Welcome to the board, l_j_r.

I have tried to set you guys straight a little bit over on your board. So now maybe you can impart some of your Jets wisdom to us here at TexansTalk. Thanks for joining in with us for the week. I hope you enjoy your time here.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2009, 11:03 PM

"What has your team ever done since coming into the league"?

How would you feel if someone asked you that? Seriously?

It has nothing to do with predictions. At this point in the year, most everyone has high expectations for their own team.

Frankly, I don't think very many of us have high expectations for your team. That's not meant to be mean or anything but that's why we expect to win. And I'm sure you're thinking the same thing in reverse. You've got a good running game and a new HC bringing a new philosophy on defense and you've got a new QB. I'm sure you're feeling very optimistic right now. But for an outsider looking in, that's not a recipe for success.

l_j_r
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the board, l_j_r.

I have tried to set you guys straight a little bit over on your board. So now maybe you can impart some of your Jets wisdom to us here at TexansTalk. Thanks for joining in with us for the week. I hope you enjoy your time here.

... thanks mojo ... and please more of you guys hit our jets sites ...

... a quick snapshot of what you guys can expect from us ...

... strengths ...

... OL ... jenkins ... washington ... revis ... harris ... rhodes ... scott ...

... weaknesses ...

... #2 cb ... inexperience at qb ... inexperience at hc ... #2 wr ... pace & ellis unavailable ...

l_j_r

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
... thanks mojo ... and please more of you guys hit our jets sites ...

... a quick snapshot of what you guys can expect from us ...

... strengths ...

... OL ... jenkins ... washington ... revis ... harris ... rhodes ... scott ...

... weaknesses ...

... #2 cb ... inexperience at qb ... inexperience at hc ... #2 wr ... pace & ellis unavailable ...

l_j_r

So since Sanchez is new, you have two receivers out, and your offensive strength is your running game, it sounds like the Texans best defensive strategy is to load up against the run and play man coverage on your receivers.

Shut down the run.

thunderkyss
09-07-2009, 11:19 PM

They've got a Hottie's Forum.

Why the hell don't we have a "hottie's forum"

NSFW... ain't the same.

Babe of the day... ain't the same.

I don't post in either of those... but I view quite a bit.

We need a Hottie's forum.

thunderkyss
09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh.... & if you can remember one thing I've said..... Kerry Rhodes.

remember that name.

Kerry Rhodes.

ReliantTexan
09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
And Jets fans think we don't take criticism well..:barman:

Jetsinsider.com (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198998&page=8)

Why do we even have a state named texas? bunch of cowboy hat wearing pickup driving egomaniacs. You want to secede from the US? Good luck, traitors. I'm sure you and chuck norris will stand up well against the federal government and the most powerful military in human history.

Maybe you can recruit davie crocket and jim bowies' corpses to fight for texas again

MojoMan
09-07-2009, 11:55 PM

Jetsinsider.com (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198998&page=8)

Yeah that was directed at me. The person that posted that apparently has a lot of pent up hostilities.

Jackie Chiles
09-07-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Why do we even have a state named texas? bunch of cowboy hat wearing pickup driving egomaniacs. You want to secede from the US? Good luck, traitors. I'm sure you and chuck norris will stand up well against the federal government and the most powerful military in human history.

Maybe you can recruit davie crocket and jim bowies' corpses to fight for texas again

They are onto us, I don't know who spilt the beans but Chuck will not be pleased.

l_j_r
09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Oh.... & if you can remember one thing I've said..... Kerry Rhodes.

remember that name.

Kerry Rhodes.

... agreed ...

... i agreed with you in the AJ/revis thread ... forgot which of you had brought this up ...

... mangini totally had rhodes handcuffed last season as lowery and ty law were getting burnt left and right, and needed his help ...

... rex by all accounts is going to let him freewheel a bit more in centerfield ... and rhodes has talent out his *$$ ...

l_j_r

l_j_r
09-08-2009, 12:38 AM
So since Sanchez is new, you have two receivers out, and your offensive strength is your running game, it sounds like the Texans best defensive strategy is to load up against the run and play man coverage on your receivers.

Shut down the run.

... agreed ...

... houston should plan on stopping the run ... thomas jones is a 3 yards up the middle cloud of dust rb ... leon washington should be brought in on 3rd downs ... he is our homerun threat on offense ... if washington gets out in space - look out ... jones is not fast enough to hit the corner and is slow hitting the LOS ... he will not break a long one ... and if you guys stack the middle it will create a pile that jones will not be able to move despite his build ...

... cotchery is a very solid possession receiver ... keller has shown skill up the seam and over the middle ... and stuckey has flashed for us as a wes welker type in the slot this preseason but none of these guys have proven to be gamechangers when it matters yet ...

... ryan has let schottenheimer have total control over the offense and it will be up to him to decide how to initiate sanchez ...

... the safest way to bring him along is to let the strength of our team (the ol & rb's) do the dirty work ... expect jones up the middle on 1st & 2nd downs ... delayed handoffs, screen passes to washington or short slants to keller on 3rd downs for the 1st half ...

l_j_r

l_j_r
09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
... fyi guys - here's a link to one of our better posters breakdown of the game ...

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199072

l_j_r

rmartin65
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
... fyi guys - here's a link to one of our better posters breakdown of the game ...

l_j_r

I disagree with him saying Williams does not offer much in the way of run support. Williams is above average in that regard he is the total package at DE.

Other than that though, it is a pretty fair review.

Thorn
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM

l_j_r

A good read, thanks for posting the link.

barrett
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
very good review. Other than Williams against the run and "unproven" WR's after Walter, the guy really knows his stuff.

Hell, he even knows about how lopsided our running attack is on the right side.

Very impressive.

SDJetsFan
09-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey fellas. Big Jets fan here. Good luck this week. i like your site layout, but you should have a "Girls of Texas" picture forum. Please. Oh yeah, to my fellow Jet fan who said we're objective, you obviously haven't seen the predict the score thread:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199080

buddyboy
09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
very good review. Other than Williams against the run and "unproven" WR's after Walter, the guy really knows his stuff.

Hell, he even knows about how lopsided our running attack is on the right side.

Very impressive.

Yeah, people think that since Mario is a good pass rusher, he's bad against the run, but he's actually very good against the run as well.

b0ng
09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/11/will-the-texans-run-right-at-gholston/

With Jets linebacker Calvin Pace suspended (not to mention defensive end Shaun Ellis), Rex Ryan isn't playing with a full deck in his first game as Jets head coach.

So Ryan is forced to turn to a wild card: last year's first-round pick Vernon Gholston. Despite some numbers in the preseason, most folks around the Jets aren't convinced Gholston is up to the challenge.

New York Daily News writer Rich Cimini expects the Texans to run right at Gholston, who struggled in the preseason to shed blocks and show natural football instincts. (Which is somewhat important when you are, um, a professional football player.)

Matt Schaub has declared himself ready for the season opener, but we have suspicion that Florio favorite Steve Slaton will be a bigger key in the game. And the presence of Gholston may make life a lot easier on the entire Houston running game.

Thorn
09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I love this comment about Gholston:

Nitro says:
September 11, 2009 2:35 PM
i'd run right by him not right at him, if you go right at him you may trip as you go over him

Dapper
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
If scheme was all that, The Bengals would have multiple Super Bowl trophies brought to them by Dick LeBeau and/or Marvin Lewis!

Scheme's nice - scheme without adequate horses don't do much.

it's hard to make chicken salad from chicken ******!!:specnatz:

l_j_r
09-12-2009, 10:23 AM
... gholston and sheppard are going to be our two biggest weaknesses on defense by a big margin ... that is definitely where you guys should attack ...

l_j_r

Wolf
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
New York, NY (WFAN) -- Let the games begin...the regular season gets underway for the Jets on the road in Houston. As with every team, there are a number of positives and a number of question marks as the Jets prepare for week one and this game is the first test to see how those things stack up in the "serious season."

What look to be team strengths this year:

1. Offensive line. Without question this is the least flawed part of this whole team (flawed might be the wrong word choice here...) but there are no holes or concerns when it comes to this bunch. They are experienced and battle tested and should be very helpful to rookie Mark Sanchez as he looks to start his quest to be the next Joe Namath (that's an obvious joke...or not...depending how you want to look at it).

2. Secondary. We think..or at least MUCH improved over the debacle that was last year's play. Darrelle Revis, Kerry Rhodes, Jim Leonhard, Lito Sheppard... on paper this looks like a tough bunch, but Lito did struggle a bit in the preseason with pass interference calls. Texans WR Andre Johnson should be a pretty good test for this group as they stack up against one of the top receivers in football.

3. The defense in general. Rex Ryan...former Ravens defensive coordinator. Baltimore = Defense. Enough said.

4. The running game. Thomas Jones led the AFC in rushing last season and we all know what Leon Washington brings to the table. The Texans defense wasn't all that stellar last season..31st in the league, but they do have Mario Williams (get to him in a second). Washington needs to get 10-15 touches, at least, a game and this attack will be lethal. Running behind Mangold, Faneca, Woody, Moore..this 1-2 punch of Jones and Washington has the ability of being one of the best in the league.

Now the question marks:

1. Sanchez. He has looked good all preseason. He has shown poise and confidence and an ability to make adjustments on the field. Will it all translate to regular season play? Who knows? A tough test will be the aforementioned Mario Williams who has developed into one of the best pass rushers in the league. He had 12 sacks last season making the Pro Bowl.

2. The wide receivers. Jerricho Cotchery is the only one in this bunch who has proven to be a quality NFL receiver. Not to say the other guys are not....but Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney and Brad Smith are young and haven't really had the touches to be stand outs. They might not be, but if the running game can do enough that these guys only have to step up at "times" the question mark here could go away. TE Dustin Keller made great strides in his rookie season and looks to be a good strong target for Sanchez.

3. Punting. The Jets are on their 7th punter since the end of 2008. Coach Ryan joked this week that they would have open tryouts on Fridays for a punter. Steve Weatherford will take on the duties against the Texans (for now...at this rate they could go through 2 more punters before kickoff!). Weatherford was in Jacksonville and Ryan's friend Jack Del Rio gave him the stamp of approval and Ryan said he was kicking the ball very well in practice..so we'll see how #7 works out.

The Texans offense is high powered. 3rd in the NFL last season. The Jets must get pressure on Matt Schaub and if they do that can cut down the number of big plays to their play maker Johnson. If the defense can attack and rattle this offense I see the Jets coming home with a win in Week 1. I'll say that will happen (sidebar: I'm awful at picking scores....). Jets 23-20.

http://www.wfan.com/Jets-Texans-Preview/5198375

thunderkyss
09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I understand that Johnson is the cog that makes this machine run...... But I like how they single him out, against their whole defense. Never mind Owen Daniels... ProBowler. Never mind Kevin Walter, or Andre Davis.. proven, solid. Never mind David Anderson, or Jacoby Jones....

It's going to be a good game.

Wolf
09-12-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKQ5AaAP58

Jets pep rally