PDA

View Full Version : Dreessen:Mustang great still an NFL force

Wolf
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Mustang great still an NFL force
By R.B. HEADLEY, Times Sports Editor
Posted: 08/05/2009 03:11:02 PM MDT

Now a millionaire whoís fresh off his best NFL receiving season, Fort Morgan High School alum Joel Dreessen has began another training camp with the improving Houston Texans.

The Texans didnít hesitate to re-sign tight end Dreessen after he finished a two-year contract in January. On the first day of free agent signings (Feb. 26), they offered this leader of Fort Morganís 1999 3A state champion team a three-year extension reportedly worth $3.6 million.

Dreessenís value to the Texans really canít be measured by mere stats. Described as a ďspecial-teams stalwart,Ē he appeared in virtually every game while making eight total tackles (six solos) and catching 11 passes covering 77 yards ó five of those during Houstonís final five games last season. He didnít score a touchdown in 2008 after snagging his first two NFL TD passes during the 2007 campaign.

Yet the Texans valued Dreessen enough to sign him before No. 1 tight end Owen Daniels, whose 70 receptions for 862 yards ranked second behind only Pro Bowler Andre Johnson (115 for 1,575 yards, eight TDs).

Dreessen will likely back up Daniels again on a Texans team coming off consecutive 8-8 seasons. One preseason NFL publication predicts Houston will earn its first ever playoff spot in 2009.

http://www.fortmorgantimes.com/ci_12998406

kozanack
08-08-2009, 10:11 PM
My guess is that Dreessen's mother was the ghost writer for this article. The article seems to suggest that Dreessen had displaced OD as the #1 TE, and that waiving Dreesen led to Mangini being fired by the Jets.

mexican_texan
08-09-2009, 02:34 AM
While it's likely the writer goes to the same family reunion as Dreessen, I share some of the same enthusiasm for him. There's been a lot of times I swore OD made a play only to find some guy wearing #85.

HOU-TEX
08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I like Dreessen, but I think he's the least athletic of the TE group we have now. If OD receives a new deal and Casey and Hill continue to improve throughout this season, I don't foresee Joel being a Texan next season. I may be off-base here, but I just can't see us going with 4 TE's for two consecutive years. Dreessen's the odd man out IMO.

El Tejano
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
He is a special teams standout though. If Casey can master the long-snapping duties or even become the back up FB there will be room for four TEs. Dreesen may have his role limited, but there would still be room for a special teams guy that we know can come in and play if needed.

Honoring Earl 34
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I bet Dreesen's Hulk's cousin .

TimeKiller
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Dreessen is a quiet contributor. Doesn't do anything spectacular but accumulates here and there and ends up with a nice season (and a nice new contract to boot).

I believe the weaponry at TE is invaluable to this team and it's success. Lots of people point immediately (and rightfully so) to WR as the strength of the team but where to next? LB or TE I'd say.

Insideop
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
He is a special teams standout though. If Casey can master the long-snapping duties or even become the back up FB there will be room for four TEs. Dreesen may have his role limited, but there would still be room for a special teams guy that we know can come in and play if needed.

Don't be surprised if it isn't Dreessen doing the Long Snapping this year. He was trained as a LS last year and is listed as the 3rd backup behind Clark Harris and Zgonina (both still with the team for now). Also, Dreessen is heavier than Casey by 25 lbs. If they decide to cut Harris (who is also a TE by the way) to save a roster spot, and cut Zgonina when TJ gets back, then they will be rolling the dice IMO. Neither Casey or Dreessen has LS experience in a NFL game. That's a big risk when you're a team trying to get into the playoffs. I look for Harris, Dreessen and Casey to be getting a lot of looks during TC and PS to decide who the LS will be. JMHO!

mexican_texan
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM
His role as a LS would keep him on the team. We've been wasting a spot for Pittman for years, it's only fitting that spot goes to a guy who can contribute on offense.

76Texan
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Dreessen is underrated, IMO.
I like him!