PDA

View Full Version : Boo-birds let Broncos know how they feel

Wolf
08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The largest crowd ever to watch a Denver Broncos practice didn't much like what it saw.

New quarterback Kyle Orton, acquired from Chicago for Pro Bowl passer Jay Cutler in the biggest NFL trade of the offseason, was booed by the crowd of 13,402 at his unofficial debut at Invesco Field when he threw two interceptions and several bad passes during a structured scrimmage Thursday night.

Orton drew the fans' ire when he was picked off twice by cornerback Andre' Goodman, the second of which was returned for a long touchdown.

"I had a good day," Goodman said in a lonely sentiment afterward.

Orton also was jeered when he threw behind receiver Chad Jackson, again when he missed a wide-open Jabar Gaffney in the end zone and also when he floated a pass down the middle that Champ Bailey busted up.

"Fans can cheer. They can boo," Orton said. "We've got good fans, and they're passionate about their football, that's for sure."

Orton wasn't alone in the fans' disapproval.

The crowd also booed punter Brett Kern for a pair of poor punts and also let kicker Matt Prater have it for missing consecutive 43-yard field goal attempts at the end of the scrimmage, one to the right and one way left.

"I heard a few boos. I had heard them during other boos and then I missed a kick and really heard the boos," Prater said. "That's part of the business."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090807/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_broncos_camp

could be a long season for the boncos (yes I spelled it that way)

Specnatz
08-08-2009, 03:23 PM

I think it will be more like the Bozos. :joker:

WWJD
08-08-2009, 04:33 PM
If they made those mistakes in a game ok boo if you want.

but to boo at a practice seems a bit dramatic to me....

gtexan02
08-08-2009, 04:40 PM

I dont think this was a normal practice. This was the first scrimmage after the debacle that has become Josh McDaniels. I would have booed too

WWJD
08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
well it still seems a bit extreme to boo them but it's that person's choice I guess.

I'd save my boo's up for a game that really counted...and lots of people don't agree or like booing your team at all.

I see both sides of it.

NitroGSXR
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Considering the riffs McDaniels started... I'd boo 'em too. That franchise was a healthy one in severe rebuild mode with not much to show for it. I'd boo louder than the average person. Now is the time to let the organization know that one is not happy with their moves. Not in games but training camp when not so many eyes are on them.

Lucky
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
It's practice for the fans, too. There will be plenty of booing going on at Invesco this season.

SteveSlaton20
08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
lol

Simms is gonna start by week 5.

Giant Tiger
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Good... they've won games even while being slapped around. It's about time they lose because of their own mistakes :heh:

awtysst
08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
The second the Broncos start to win the fans will cheer McDaniels. Based on the offense that McDaniels is hoping to establish, Orton should be more than capable. The Defense last year was abysmal and will be better. They will likely drop off a bit offensively but the D should be better. Their Division stinks, so I predict they will end up 2nd with about 6 wins next year.

Second Honeymoon
08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
The second the Broncos start to win the fans will cheer McDaniels. Based on the offense that McDaniels is hoping to establish, Orton should be more than capable. The Defense last year was abysmal and will be better. They will likely drop off a bit offensively but the D should be better. Their Division stinks, so I predict they will end up 2nd with about 6 wins next year.

pretty reasonable prediction. all they have to do is win half their divisional games and win 3 out of the remaining 10.

i do think its gonna be a tough season though and lots of boo-birds. McDaniels has probably had the worst beginning to a head coaching career in the history of the NFL and they spent 3 1st Round picks and didn't address the QB position.

ChampionTexan
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM

But considering he took over a team that won 8 games last year, and would have gone to the playoffs (albeit undeservedly) if they could have managed to win even one of their last three games, do you really think the fanbase will understand and cheer McDaniels for a 6 win season?

We cheered Kubiak for going 6-10 in his first year (well, lots of us did), but taking over a team that had just gone through a Bataan Death March of a season is a little different than taking over a team who's fans were expecting a division title right up to the end (see previous undeserved disclaimer).

TEXANRED
08-09-2009, 06:45 PM

I predict, oh screw it. The Denver Broncos are now on the clock.......

With the first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Denver Broncos select QB from OU Sam Bradford.

Lucky
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
With the first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Denver Broncos select QB from OU Sam Bradford.
The Broncos don't own a 2010 1st round pick. That potential #1 overall selection would belong to the Seattle Seahawks.

Specnatz
08-09-2009, 09:03 PM
The Broncos don't own a 2010 1st round pick. That potential #1 overall selection would belong to the Seattle Seahawks.

And they select Tim Tebow ... buying into the hype.

TEXANRED
08-09-2009, 09:05 PM

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did the Seahawks end up with the Broncos #1?

Double Barrel
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM

It might be the fans first chance to let McDaniels know what they think about letting go of their franchise QB. Just sayin'...

drewmar74
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
It might be the fans first chance to let McDaniels know what they think about letting go of their franchise QB. Just sayin'...

Yup.

That Orton - Cutler trade would be like Rick Smith trading AJ to the Giants for David Tyree and a sixer of Milwaukee's Best. You'd be pissed, too, and probably inclined to boo the first thing you could.

GP
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I predict, oh screw it. The Denver Broncos are now on the clock.......

They'd better select McCoy if they have the first pick.

I'm no UT homer. Red Raiders are my college team, and the leadership he exhibited against TTU in that game in Lubbock was awesome. I actually found that I admired a UT player for a change.

Colt is going to be the shizz in the NFL, IMO. Very Elway'ish. Tough, gritty, determined, and almost held everything together when it looked like it was over against TTU.

rmartin65
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
They'd better select McCoy if they have the first pick.

I'm no UT homer. Red Raiders are my college team, and the leadership he exhibited against TTU in that game in Lubbock was awesome. I actually found that I admired a UT player for a change.

Colt is going to be the shizz in the NFL, IMO. Very Elway'ish. Tough, gritty, determined, and almost held everything together when it looked like it was over against TTU.

No, Bradford will be the top QB of the draft class. McCoy will be above average, but not an all-star. McCoy is a great college QB, but I dont see him as a great pro QB.

awtysst
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
But considering he took over a team that won 8 games last year, and would have gone to the playoffs (albeit undeservedly) if they could have managed to win even one of their last three games, do you really think the fanbase will understand and cheer McDaniels for a 6 win season?

The smart Bronco fans will cheer a 6 win team. While they did win 8 games last year, one of those wins was the infamous Ed Hocule incident. Another was a 2 point win over the Saints when Gramatica missed a 43 yarder to win the game. A 43 yarder is not a gimmie, but you should make that kick if you are an NFL kicker. So, very easily the Broncos could have been a 6 win team last year. And last year's schedule was not tough.

This season's schedule looks awful for them. Take a look at it:

@Bengals
Browns
@Raiders
Dallas
New England
@San Diego
Bye
@Ravens
Steelers
@Redskins
Chargers
Giants
@Chiefs
@Colts
Raiders
@Eagles
Chiefs

If you they can win 6 of those games, the smart fans will cheer.

awtysst
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did the Seahawks end up with the Broncos #1?

It was a draft day trade. The Broncos gave up next year's #1 for Seattle's #37 in order to draft CB Alphono Smith.

BSofA04
08-12-2009, 02:41 PM
It was a draft day trade. The Broncos gave up next year's #1 for Seattle's #37 in order to draft CB Alphono Smith.

Yeah, considering the Broncos wil be picking in the top 10...this is no where near a smart trade.

Dan B.
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow. I missed that Denver has no first rounder next year. McDaniels better produce something fast. He's off to a really rocky start.

This probably belongs more in the Fantasy Football category, but I am honestly thinking about taking a flier on Orton as my backup QB. Here's my thinking:

Denver has a good WR corps. Marshall, Royal, Stokely, and Brandon Lloyd, along with several nice TE options, give Orton a lot of choices.

McDaniels is virtually certain to install a New England style offense into place, by brute force if necessary.

The AFC West doesn't have the best secondaries on average, which means he'll have a few chances against weak pass defenses.

I suspect Denver will be playing from behind. A lot. This means tons of passing yards. Not so hot for the team, but great for the QB's fantasy numbers. Think Carr circa 2004.

No, Bradford will be the top QB of the draft class. McCoy will be above average, but not an all-star. McCoy is a great college QB, but I dont see him as a great pro QB.

I agree that Bradford will go first among QB's. I also think he should go first, probably first overall depending on the needs of the team drafting of course. I do think McCoy will be a very successful QB in the NFL. Particularly if he falls low enough to go to a team that already has the other pieces in place. Let's just say the prospect of Colt going to Tennessee honestly sickens me.

JCTexan
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Wow. I missed that Denver has no first rounder next year. McDaniels better produce something fast. He's off to a really rocky start.

This probably belongs more in the Fantasy Football category, but I am honestly thinking about taking a flier on Orton as my backup QB. Here's my thinking:

Denver has a good WR corps. Marshall, Royal, Stokely, and Brandon Lloyd, along with several nice TE options, give Orton a lot of choices.

McDaniels is virtually certain to install a New England style offense into place, by brute force if necessary.

The AFC West doesn't have the best secondaries on average, which means he'll have a few chances against weak pass defenses.

I suspect Denver will be playing from behind. A lot. This means tons of passing yards. Not so hot for the team, but great for the QB's fantasy numbers. Think Carr circa 2004.

I agree that Bradford will go first among QB's. I also think he should go first, probably first overall depending on the needs of the team drafting of course. I do think McCoy will be a very successful QB in the NFL. Particularly if he falls low enough to go to a team that already has the other pieces in place. Let's just say the prospect of Colt going to Tennessee honestly sickens me.

Well, if they pick Mccoy that means they either are picking pretty low, or that no team wanted him in the top half of the draft. Neither really concerns me. However, if they had the option of taking him you know Bud Adams would love to.

Dan B.
08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, if they pick Mccoy that means they either are picking pretty low, or that no team wanted him in the top half of the draft. Neither really concerns me. However, if they had the option of taking him you know Bud Adams would love to.

Not necessarily. If Tennessee becomes a one dimensional team with no passing threat but a great defense they could easily end up among that huge percentage of the league that hovers around .500. It's not outside the realm of possibility that (like last year) many of the teams in the 6-12 range or so feel they have different needs than QB, and he falls a bit. There's also the chance that Tennessee could trade their mid 1st round pick and something else to move up a few spots and snatch him. Teams do that all the time for that "Can't miss" QB.

I should mention that I've got a bad feeling about the Titans this year. As in I think they are going to be a pretty good team. Still, if Collins (or a major piece of the offense such as Johnson) goes down they could easily end up being on the wrong end of a ton of 3 point losses. Anyway I just used Tennessee as an example because of the obvious UT connection (and as kind of a worst case scenario for me), but there are a few teams that could end up getting Colt and become very good very fast IMO.

Yankee_In_TX
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Huh, Gaffney.