PDA

View Full Version : Young fired up to wear Oilers' logo

Brando
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Looks like Halloween comes early for Vince.

Vince Young grew up in Houston rooting for the Oilers, and said he's excited about the chance to put on a uniform of the team that became the Tennessee Oilers in 1997, and became extinct two years later when the change-over to Titans became official.

"It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I'm pretty excited about it," Young said. "A lot of memories, a whole bunch of memories. It's the team's history. I'm looking forward to it. I've been talking to [fellow Houstonian and rookie cornerback Ryan] Mouton all day, I was like 'These guys don't know anything about this on their helmet right now.' So we've been having fun with it.

"Definitely they look sharp, I'm a big fan of it. It's a dream come true, growing up watching the Oilers, watching Chris Chandler, Warren Moon, Lamar Lathon ... I know a lot of the history of the Oilers. It's very cool to put the logo on."

You're a Titan Vince and if wearing the logo makes you feel like an Oiler your wrong, sorry. It's just a costume.

Goldensilence
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah you'll look great in it... on the sidelines. Can you get a matching clipboard with that?

Brando
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah you'll look great in it... on the sidelines. Can you get a matching clipboard with that?

Well since it is preseason he will get to play as he needs the reps.

Hookem Horns
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6672/vyoilerss.jpg

Goldensilence
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Well since it is preseason he will get to play as he needs the reps.

How many QB draws can you call in a row?

Brando
08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
How many QB draws can you call in a row?

:heh:

TITAN1
08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6672/vyoilerss.jpgHookem, is that score your wildest dream?:)

Hookem Horns
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Hookem, is that score your wildest dream?:)

LOL .. 42-3, 13-12, it's all good to me. ;)

TITAN1
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
LOL .. 42-3, 13-12, it's all good to me. ;)I hear you, a "W" is a "W" for any of us. Hope you are doing well?

chicagotexan2
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
It's baby blue and the uni's will pobably remind him of his Madison H.S. uni. Then he'll quickkly see that he can't dominate in the pro's which will remind him he's now in the NFL.

Honoring Earl 34
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Is #6 taken ?

Hookem Horns
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I hear you, a "W" is a "W" for any of us. Hope you are doing well?

Doing good man. Hope all is well with you as well!

TITAN1
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Doing good man. Hope all is well with you as well!Just ready to get this season started. I think our division is up for grabs with exception of Jags. I think the Colts will not be as good and the Texans will be better than last season, Titans about the same, but hopefully deeper into the playoffs. I just don't see where the Jags have improved and I have never been sold on Del Rio.

Texan_Bill
08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
It's baby blue and the uni's will pobably remind him of his Madison H.S. uni. Then he'll quickkly see that he can't dominate in the pro's which will remind him he's now in the NFL.

http://www.yankees2000.com/y2k/uploaded_images/44_Vince-Young-Sitting-743129.JPG

Hookem Horns
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.yankees2000.com/y2k/uploaded_images/44_Vince-Young-Sitting-743129.JPG

Was he practicing for his career in the pros in this picture?

Texan_Bill
08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Was he practicing for his career in the pros in this picture?

:spit:

Blazing Arrow
08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6672/vyoilerss.jpg

You can tell this is doctored because of the score ....

Specnatz
08-14-2009, 11:29 PM

A week later Flaming Sparrows brain has the smoke clear and comes up with a witty retort.

Blazing Arrow
08-14-2009, 11:57 PM
A week later Flaming Sparrows brain has the smoke clear and comes up with a witty retort.

Actually I only take the time to respond to decent post ... ones like this i respond to when bored. Glad you were sitting on it to respond though. To bad your Kennedy champion just passed. My condolences.

Hookem Horns
08-15-2009, 01:28 AM

42-3, 13-12, a loss is a loss, a win is a win. :)

Blazing Arrow
08-15-2009, 02:42 AM
42-3, 13-12, a loss is a loss, a win is a win. :)

The Texans Super Bowl ....

Super Bowl: A game played after the the playoffs for the championship of the NFL ....

Sorry

Playoffs are games played after the 16 game season. Typically played in January.

I know i know this is a lot to take in all at once but games are actually played after regular season. As a .500 hopeful Texan fan it is hard to take in all at once; but some teams plays football after regular season is played.

SteveSlaton20
08-15-2009, 03:56 AM
The Texans Super Bowl ....

Super Bowl: A game played after the the playoffs for the championship of the NFL ....

Sorry

Playoffs are games played after the 16 game season. Typically played in January.

I know i know this is a lot to take in all at once but games are actually played after regular season. As a .500 hopeful Texan fan it is hard to take in all at once; but some teams plays football after regular season is played.
LMK when you guys don't choke again in the Playoffs.

Hookem Horns
08-15-2009, 05:31 AM

Choking is the mechanical obstruction of the flow of air from the environment into the lungs or what the Oilers/Titans do every time they reach the post season.

You seem to forget that most of us were Oilers fans long before you were. I know you are slowly catching up however we've experienced a lot more playoff choking and failure than you have.

Sure, it's nice to have your team in the playoffs however it sucks to high heaven to have high hopes and watch them fail in the most cruel ways. When it's all said and done you are almost better off as a fan if your team wasn't in the playoffs.

Let's see, what stands out ...

1989 Loss at home to Bubby flippin Brister and the Steelers in the first round.

1990 Killed by the Bengals 41-14 in the first round.

1991 Blew a 21-10 halftime lead and choked up at least 2 4th and longs in the closing minute to John Elway and the Broncos which would have ended the game only to lose 26-24

1992 Led Buffalo 35-3 in the 3rd Qtr in the first round only to make history by setting the record for worst postseason choke in NFL history which still proudly stands today.

1993 Earn first round bye and 2nd round home playoff game by winning their last 11 regular season games. Will things be different this season? No, Joe Montana and the Chiefs come into the Dome and win 28-20 as former Longhorn then Chief Keith Cash fires the ball at a picture of Buddy Ryan after scoring a TD that helps seal the deal.

1999 The Titans almost choke away another 1st round home game by blowing another late game lead however are spared by a controversial kick off return some called the Music City Miracle. Others argue that the Titans player made an illegal forward pass on the return as one ESPN anaylist called it the Immaculate Deception. Bud Adams karma would soon catch up to them in the Super Bowl though as they fall one yard short of tying the game as the clock goes down to zero. The new fans in Tennessee would quickly learn that heartbreak is all one gets with their newly stolen team. At this point I am SO glad this team is no longer ours because after all of that I would have jumped out a window.

2000 The Titans earn home field throughout for the first time in their history. Would this be the road back to the Super Bowl for them to FINALLY end the heartbreaks and chokes to finally come home a champion? Of course not. The Ravens come in and easily win 24-10 as once again their season ends in heartache and disappointment.

2002 Facing the Oakland Raiders on the road with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line the Titans appeared to be in good shape late in the first half leading 17-14 on the road. However, 2 costly fumbles deep in Raiders territory gave the Raiders a 24-17 halftime lead. The Titans would go on to yet another postseason failure losing 41-24.

2003 Another postseason failure as the Pats take the lead 17-14 late in the 4th Qtr. The Titans stall at midfield on the following drive to concede yet another season ending in disappointment.

2007 Titans faced the Chargers in the first round. For much of the first half the Titans dominated the game, but they could not take full advantage of great field position and only held a 6-0 lead at halftime. In the second half the Chargers would come alive, scoring 17 unanswered points to beat the Titans 17-6 and yet another postseason down the drain.

2008 The Titans dominate the regular season with the best record in the NFL earning for the 2nd time in their history home field throughout. Many are penciling them in for the Super Bowl. Just like last time in 2000 when they had home field advantage throughout they had to face the Ravens at home again. Would the Titans avenge that 2000 loss? Of course not as yet another season ends in heartbreak for Bud Adams and his powder blue cronies. The Titans leave the field in shame after losing 13-10. At this point most of the fans in Tennessee are starting to get the picture of how this all works.

So if you want to compare our former team to our current team, here is the final tally.

Oilers/Titans: 41 years in the NFL 0 Lombardi Trophies.
Texans: 7 years in the NFL 0 Lombardi Trophies.

Blazing Arrow
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Were you up at 5 AM writing this. That is dedication.

Silver Oak
08-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Were you up at 5 AM writing this. That is dedication.

interesting that you chose to not address any of his points.

Specnatz
08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
interesting that you chose to not address any of his points.

It takes him a week to comprehend and then write a half witted response.

Double Barrel
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
BA is the only bandwagon fan I know that chooses a historically choking team.

Houston fans had little choice since we live here. BA decided that he didn't want to root for a winning home team and picked Slug's franchise, happily changing jerseys wherever they go, because he has a thing for choking, I guess. There is a personality flaw in there somewhere for those that want to psychoanalyze it.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
BA is the only bandwagon fan I know that chooses a historically choking team.

Houston fans had little choice since we live here. BA decided that he didn't want to root for a winning home team and picked Slug's franchise, happily changing jerseys wherever they go, because he has a thing for choking, I guess. There is a personality flaw in there somewhere for those that want to psychoanalyze it.

If you had actually cared enough about your team they would still be in Houston and not the dud of a franchise you have right now. Seven seasons and counting of not having a winning year. Must be fun to expect failure each year. Have you gotten so accustom to it that losing is just another thing that happens for the Texans?

Texan_Bill
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
If you had actually cared enough about your team they would still be in Houston and not the dud of a franchise you have right now. Seven seasons and counting of not having a winning year. Must be fun to expect failure each year. Have you gotten so accustom to it that losing is just another thing that happens for the Texans?

Are you really that ignorant? You have been schooled repeatedly about the Oiler's departure. Please, for the love of God come up with some new material.

And here's a little history lesson for your pathetic, display in futility of a franchise. They've gone 8 seasons and 6 seasons without a playoff birth. A couple of times five seasons. That's a combined 24 years for a team that's only been around 50 (and that doesn't include a couple of years here or there. No wonder Dud Adams and his uneducated fans don't realize that the franchises winning percentage is .495. Or should I say, their losing percentage is .505.

So please, quit acting like the Tinnbreds are anything but a losing, choking POS. Win a Super Bowl before you cast stones. Hell Tampa has won one and their fans are really, pretty classy. *realizes the futility in trying to discuss, class with a fan of "Pud's" team*

Hookem Horns
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

I always forget you aren't in Tennessee. Why in the world would you volunteer for the abuse of being a fan of Bud's team especially when you have historically successful franchises in your own state?

We stick it out and root for our home team so we had no choice. I guess it is just a Texas pride thing or something.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I always forget you aren't in Tennessee. Why in the world would you volunteer for the abuse of being a fan of Bud's team especially when you have historically successful franchises in your own state?

We stick it out and root for our home team so we had no choice. I guess it is just a Texas pride thing or something.

I follow and like the 9ers but stick by the team I chose. Why didn't you become a Cowboys fan when the Oilers left?

Hervoyel
08-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Our team is in Houston. They're called the Texans. We're just fine and going in the right direction thank you.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Our team is in Houston. They're called the Texans. We're just fine and going in the right direction thank you.

Wouldn't "going in the right dirrection" imply that you are getting more wins then in the previos year?

Hookem Horns
08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I follow and like the 9ers but stick by the team I chose. Why didn't you become a Cowboys fan when the Oilers left?

Because Dallas might as well be in Oklahoma.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Because Dallas might as well be in Oklahoma.

It's not??

Hervoyel
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't "going in the right dirrection" imply that you are getting more wins then in the previos year?

That's certainly a very significant method of measuring improvement. It's not the only one though and you know that as well as I do. The 2006 Texans were 6-10, in 2007 they improved by two games to 8-8. The 2008 Texans did not improve on that 8-8 record but they were clearly a better team than the previous season, even if the results didn't appear in the W/L column.

Statistics clearly show this. My eyes tell me this. I keep the Texans progress in perspective. We reached .500 a year sooner than the Cowboys did and we'll get over .500 a year later than they did.

You know, the Buc's were legendary losers and finished under .500 in 19 out of their first 21 seasons but when Bucs fan and Titan fan start talking smack to one another only one of those guys can say "Ring, STFU".

At the other end of the spectrum you have the Houston Oilers. Winners of two AFL titles they have since gone a remarkable 48 years without another one. I hope the Texans can avoid a drought like that.

Double Barrel
08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
If you had actually cared enough about your team they would still be in Houston and not the dud of a franchise you have right now.

You're just ignorant, man. Caring about the team had absolutely nothing to do with the monumental greed of Slug and gigantic ego of the mayor at the time.

But just keep spewing your stupidity. You remove all doubt by doing so.

What you'll never understand is hometown loyalty. You'd rather just be Chokeboy.

hobie
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM

I guess what will your assesment be then when your team fails to win 13 games this season? Uh oh, you know that won't happen this year, so then they must be heading in the wrong direction...man, that's got to be tough to take !

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
That's certainly a very significant method of measuring improvement. It's not the only one though and you know that as well as I do. The 2006 Texans were 6-10, in 2007 they improved by two games to 8-8. The 2008 Texans did not improve on that 8-8 record but they were clearly a better team than the previous season, even if the results didn't appear in the W/L column.

Statistics clearly show this. My eyes tell me this. I keep the Texans progress in perspective. We reached .500 a year sooner than the Cowboys did and we'll get over .500 a year later than they did.

You know, the Buc's were legendary losers and finished under .500 in 19 out of their first 21 seasons but when Bucs fan and Titan fan start talking smack to one another only one of those guys can say "Ring, STFU".

At the other end of the spectrum you have the Houston Oilers. Winners of two AFL titles they have since gone a remarkable 48 years without another one. I hope the Texans can avoid a drought like that.

I was just giving you a hard time but at the end of the day I still think the Texans have over looked there secondary and it will come back to bite them. Without improved S play and better coverage by the CBs you guys will float in that 7-9 win area until your O starts to drop off and the team looks to rebuild. As AJ gets older he is going to want to start going to the playoffs and looking for that ring. Its only a matter of time that it either happens on this team or he moves on. He is 28 and probably has about 4 to 5 more productive seasons in him. If you don't make the playoffs this season his days are numbered as a Texan IMO.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I guess what will your assesment be then when your team fails to win 13 games this season? Uh oh, you know that won't happen this year, so then they must be heading in the wrong direction...man, that's got to be tough to take !

I think 13 wins is pretty doable this season.

BTW why is this thing named after you? :hobie:

Texan_Bill
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I was just giving you a hard time but at the end of the day I still think the Texans have over looked there secondary and it will come back to bite them. Without improved S play and better coverage by the CBs you guys will float in that 7-9 win area until your O starts to drop off and the team looks to rebuild. As AJ gets older he is going to want to start going to the playoffs and looking for that ring. Its only a matter of time that it either happens on this team or he moves on. He is 28 and probably has about 4 to 5 more productive seasons in him. If you don't make the playoffs this season his days are numbered as a Texan IMO.

:rolleyes:

Good thing he's locked up through the 2014 season.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Good thing he's locked up through the 2014 season.

Yup and a player has never found a way out of a contract in the NFL they are iron clad.

hobie
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I think 13 wins is pretty doable this season.

BTW why is this thing named after you? :hobie:

Because my meat is classy, thus the top hat and cane !!

Texan_Bill
08-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Yup and a player has never found a way out of a contract in the NFL they are iron clad.

With the way that contract is structured, I don't think he's going anywhere, anytime soon. But feel free to sling more crap at the wall, something's bound to stick, huh?

Hervoyel
08-17-2009, 04:55 PM

I agree with you that the secondary has again received the smelly end of the stick but the Texans think that if they can improve the pressure they get with the front seven then they can get away with the secondary they have. I don't think that's totally crazy thinking though I'd feel better if they'd go out and steal somebody's "real-deal" FS. I know they're not easily found but our secondary is more or less leaderless and has been since Aaron Glenn left.

AJ isn't going anywhere. He'll get a trip to the post-season this year and be all smiles.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree with you that the secondary has again received the smelly end of the stick but the Texans think that if they can improve the pressure they get with the front seven then they can get away with the secondary they have. I don't think that's totally crazy thinking though I'd feel better if they'd go out and steal somebody's "real-deal" FS. I know they're not easily found but our secondary is more or less leaderless and has been since Aaron Glenn left.

AJ isn't going anywhere. He'll get a trip to the post-season this year and be all smiles.

Getting pressure up front helps a secondary but the front four can be contained. Only way to stop that is to overload which puts your secondary in man. A good QB will eat that apart. Might help you to get an extra win or two but when it comes playoff time and you are playing the elite it the weakness will get exposed.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Because my meat is classy, thus the top hat and cane !!

:backsout:

Double Barrel
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM

*ahem* May I remind you...

How this thread made it as far as it did I will never understand. You guys always take the bait. By the time we get to page 2 (or 4, your page count may vary) we're talking about...

This thread is not about the Texans secondary. :foottap: It's about VY and Slug wearing the dead carcass of the former Houston team because the former has a hard time discerning the difference between reality/fantasy and the latter is a fat, greedy bastard.

badboy
08-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I skipped through most of these posts. I say only that I followed the Oilers from their inception. Had to thank my dad I guess because he liked the Cowboys. I suffered through many losses, 100+degree San Antonio weather during TC, bad decisions on players, coaches and owner. Watched as head coaches and GM's cycled through. Went through Luv ya Blue, Bum Phillips, run and shoot, Pastorini, Bill Cannon, Tolar, the Tyler Rose and Steve McNair that later was murdered. They were MY Oilers even in powder blue. For what ever reason, Bud took them to another state. Munchak and Matthews became another team. I tried to watch them first year or two because of the players, but that quickly went by the wayside.

Now I have another Houston team. The Titans are just another team to go down before us this year. And that's the name of that tune. Tony Baretta and I are out of here.

Hervoyel
08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
*ahem* May I remind you...

This thread is not about the Texans secondary. :foottap: It's about VY and Slug wearing the dead carcass of the former Houston team because the former has a hard time discerning the difference between reality/fantasy and the latter is a fat, greedy bastard.

Point taken. I screwed up and started talking football with the enemy in the wrong forum! I know better than this!

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Point taken. I screwed up and started talking football with the enemy in the wrong forum! I know better than this!

:whip:

SheTexan
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
You guys are SOOOOO entertaining!!!! THANKS!

Wolf
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Are you really that ignorant? You have been schooled repeatedly about the Oiler's departure. Please, for the love of God come up with some new material.

And here's a little history lesson for your pathetic, display in futility of a franchise. They've gone 8 seasons and 6 seasons without a playoff birth. A couple of times five seasons. That's a combined 24 years for a team that's only been around 50 (and that doesn't include a couple of years here or there. No wonder Dud Adams and his uneducated fans don't realize that the franchises winning percentage is .495. Or should I say, their losing percentage is .505.

So please, quit acting like the Tinnbreds are anything but a losing, choking POS. Win a Super Bowl before you cast stones. Hell Tampa has won one and their fans are really, pretty classy. *realizes the futility in trying to discuss, class with a fan of "Pud's" team*

well the Titans could look into getting a new stretching coach...

how not to stretch
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2219090891_b30ec3fbf8.jpg

and with a new stretching coach.. HOW to stretch

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/rsz_1millertd.jpg

SheTexan
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
AWWWWWWW! My boy Billy!!!!!!!! Sweet memory!!

Blazing Arrow
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
well the Titans could look into getting a new stretching coach...

how not to stretch
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2219090891_b30ec3fbf8.jpg

and with a new stretching coach.. HOW to stretch

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/rsz_1millertd.jpg

To bad you don't have a coach that can get you past .500 that might be valuable.

Specnatz
08-19-2009, 12:06 AM
To bad you don't have a coach that can get you past .500 that might be valuable.

To bad you can't find a coach who can prevent choking.

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 12:38 AM

Seriously you want to compare coaches? If you think your coach is better then Fisher you know absolutly NOTHING about football. If Fisher was was on the open market I would bet money the Texans would be in the running along with 20 other teams.

Specnatz
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I know the history of the team you supposedly have always followed is not a subject you are very (I should say any) good at but Jeff Fishers record his first few years was not all that great.

1994 Houston Oilers 1 - 5 (Took over mid-season)
1995 Houston Oilers 7 - 9
1996 Houston Oilers 8 - 8
1997 Tennessee Oilers 8 - 8
1998 Tennessee Oilers 8 - 8

So far they are running parallel to one another. One is defensive minded one is offensive minded.

Texan_Bill
08-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I know the history of the team you supposedly have always followed is not a subject you are very (I should say any) good at but Jeff Fishers record his first few years was not all that great.

1994 Houston Oilers 1 - 5 (Took over mid-season)
1995 Houston Oilers 7 - 9
1996 Houston Oilers 8 - 8
1997 Tennessee Oilers 8 - 8
1998 Tennessee Oilers 8 - 8

So far they are running parallel to one another. One is defensive minded one is offensive minded.

Kubiak:
2006 6-10
2007 8-8
2008 8-8
22-26 after 48 games

Porn 'stache:
1994 1-5
1995 7-9
1996 8-8
1997 5-5

21-27 after 48 games

I'm not saying......... I'm just sayin'

HOU-TEX
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Fisher might be the better coach at this time, but he's been hamstrung by a carcass wearing ass-jockey his entire career.

Hookem Horns
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

I have to agree with BA here. You can't blame Fisher for all the choking because that team was choking in the postseason LONG before Fisher got there and will be doing the same LONG after he leaves.

Vince Lombardi himself couldn't overcome the Curse.

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Kubiak:
2006 6-10
2007 8-8
2008 8-8
22-26 after 48 games

Porn 'stache:
1994 1-5
1995 7-9
1996 8-8
1997 5-5

21-27 after 48 games

I'm not saying......... I'm just sayin'

If you want to count the 1-5 mid season take over that is fine but again if you think Kubiak is a better coach then the Fish you have lost your mind.

Texan_Bill
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
If you want to count the 1-5 mid season take over that is fine but again if you think Kubiak is a better coach then the Fish you have lost your mind.

For fairness' sake you can only compare an equal amount of games, so yes count the 1-5. I know Fisher was handed a bad team, but so was Kubiak, no excuse. At this point in his career, Kubiak has one more win than Fisher had at the same point in his career. Draw your own conclusions.... Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
For fairness' sake you can only compare an equal amount of games, so yes count the 1-5. I know Fisher was handed a bad team, but so was Kubiak, no excuse. At this point in his career, Kubiak has one more win than Fisher had at the same point in his career. Draw your own conclusions.... Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

Yes but Kubiak has an entire off season to get the team ready Fisher had a week. HUGE difference.

Hervoyel
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Right now? With Fisher in his 14(.5) season as HC and Kubiak in his 4th? No. Compare apples to apples whenever possible and for the sake of fairness drop each of their first seasons. Fisher didn't get an entire first season and arguably in both of their cases it was the year they had each had the least amount of input into the team they had to take on the field. Fisher inherited a R&S offense without a triggerman and Kubiak inherited an offense with nobody (DC) at the helm.

Then all you can do is compare Kubiak's last two years with Fishers first two complete seasons. That would be Kubiak's twin 8-8 records vs. Fishers 7-9 and 8-8 records in 95-96.

Kubiak could go 8-8 for two more years and still have Fisher by a single game.

If you take each of their careers from the year following the teams 2-14 crash then it reverses. Kubiak went 6-10, 8-8, and 8-8. Fisher went 7-9, 8-8, and 8-8.

It's a one game swing either way.

The facts show clearly that Fisher started almost exactly like Kubiak has. I know how bad both of those rosters were at the time each man took over their respective franchise and I'm here to tell you Fisher had less rebuilding to do in 1995 than Kubiak did here in 2005. Granted he had the move to cope with so I call that a wash either way.

If Kubiak gets the Texans over .500 this year and dare I hope, to the playoffs then yes, he is absolutely a better coach than Jeff Fisher was following his fourth year. He will have gone from 2-14 to a winning record and a playoff berth in a shorter period of time than Jeff did.

How it plays out remains to be seen. 2009 is an important year if you're a Texans fan (and I know you're not but you can't help but acknowledge this). It's really "the" year where we find out if we're going in the right direction or not.

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
:spit:

I love the tip toe around the '99 season. Good work but it's a little early to be drinking isn't it?

Hervoyel
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Nobody's doing any tip toeing around 99'. That took place in Fishers 5th full season as coach. When Kubiak gets to his 5th then comparisons to Fisher will, shall I say "have the bar set rather high".

Still it took him 5 years to get there. I'd think if you gave somebody 5 years to put something together and they didn't finally do something then there would be a problem wouldn't you?

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
He not only put it together he took the team through two moves and a name change and ran it all the way to the Super Bowl. Then for the next three seasons set a record for most wins by a team over a three year span which was eventually beaten by the Colts. In 14 seasons he has only had 4 teams with losing records. Won the division 4 times including a conference championship. He has coached an MVP and dealt with several 1st round busts. All of that and survived a cap purge.

You gotta admit Kubiak could never hope to have such a sweat stash?

Double Barrel
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
This thread is supposed to be about making fun of Radio playing dress up in old Oilers unis. :bigboss:

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 02:57 PM
This thread is supposed to be about making fun of Radio playing dress up in old Oilers unis. :bigboss:

This thread is about a lot of things ... :smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes but Kubiak has an entire off season to get the team ready Fisher had a week. HUGE difference.

Yes, but... yeah but... :rolleyes:

Or one could argue that Fisher was already with the organization and Kubiak had to be introduced to an organization and move his family and deal with a draft not knowing the personnel he had on the team....

See how excuses work?

Texan_Bill
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the reminder!

http://beat.bodoglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/vince-young-hurt.jpg

+

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/vince-young-shirtless.jpg

+

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/vyoung.jpg

+

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/146708/48071_Titans_Camp_Football.jpg

=

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2003_Radio/2003_radio_001.jpg

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, but... yeah but... :rolleyes:

Or one could argue that Fisher was already with the organization and Kubiak had to be introduced to an organization and move his family and deal with a draft not knowing the personnel he had on the team....

See how excuses work?

Still no excuse for your homer view of Kubiak.

Double Barrel
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I want to be because he's a Titan, but I can't dog Fisher. It just figures that once Bud finally decided to stick with a coach and have some stability in his FO, he'd already moved out of Houston.

That being said, the VY-issue might be the divide between Bud and Fisher. Seriously, Bud seems intent on pushing VY, and from looking on the outside, it does not appear that the coaching staff is all too eager to play him. Perhaps some of the old Bud is still in that decrepit body and he forces the issue, thus pushing Fisher out the door. A man can hope, can't he?!

Blazing Arrow
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I want to be because he's a Titan, but I can't dog Fisher. It just figures that once Bud finally decided to stick with a coach and have some stability in his FO, he'd already moved out of Houston.

That being said, the VY-issue might be the divide between Bud and Fisher. Seriously, Bud seems intent on pushing VY, and from looking on the outside, it does not appear that the coaching staff is all too eager to play him. Perhaps some of the old Bud is still in that decrepit body and he forces the issue, thus pushing Fisher out the door. A man can hope, can't he?!

I don't think Fisher is all that against Young. I think he feels he is not ready. He is going to play with the 1st team on Friday so we will see. Pretty sure Collins will start the season but if he starts taking a dump on the field and Young keeps playing like he did in Tampa I could see a move. Need to see him with the first team though. Young and Britt seem to be on the same page; same with Young and Cook. If he is the QB of the future it is a good thing that he works well with two of our top 3 draft picks.

Hervoyel
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
He not only put it together he took the team through two moves and a name change and ran it all the way to the Super Bowl. Then for the next three seasons set a record for most wins by a team over a three year span which was eventually beaten by the Colts. In 14 seasons he has only had 4 teams with losing records. Won the division 4 times including a conference championship. He has coached an MVP and dealt with several 1st round busts. All of that and survived a cap purge.

You gotta admit Kubiak could never hope to have such a sweat stash?

No, we don't have to admit anything like that. So far in his head coaching career Kubiak has pretty much matched Fisher step for step. Until he does otherwise you have to admit that Fisher did no better at the same point in his career. You have to admit this because it is fact.

And let me say that if/when Kubiak falls short of one of Fish's accomplishments I'll be the first to say "Well, Kubiak didn't keep up". Until then our coach is no worse than yours was at this point in his career.

I'm off topic again. So what's the subject? Vince got a pair of vintage Oilers pajamas or something?

We know Vince is fired up to wear the Oilers logo. I imagine former Oilers are nauseous at the sight though.

Double Barrel
08-19-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think Fisher is all that against Young. I think he feels he is not ready. He is going to play with the 1st team on Friday so we will see. Pretty sure Collins will start the season but if he starts taking a dump on the field and Young keeps playing like he did in Tampa I could see a move. Need to see him with the first team though. Young and Britt seem to be on the same page; same with Young and Cook. If he is the QB of the future it is a good thing that he works well with two of our top 3 draft picks.

Well, I hope you're right. I'd love to see VY starting for your team, because I honestly don't think it would take much to get inside his head and scramble those thoughts around after seeing his meltdown last season. Plus, with his inability to read defenses and appearing to believe that he can win with his athletic abilities over his QB skills, that's just a dandy future to envision.

As if preseason meant anything... :rolleyes:

Hervoyel
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
You know all that progress that Vince has been purported to be making? I didn't see a lot of that tonight as he went 3 of 9 for 44 yards and a pick. He looked as lost as he's ever looked to me.

Blazing Arrow
08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
You know all that progress that Vince has been purported to be making? I didn't see a lot of that tonight as he went 3 of 9 for 44 yards and a pick. He looked as lost as he's ever looked to me.

The entire team looked like crap ...

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Man Vince Young really does suck... I'm glad we dodged that bullet. Remember when we had all those Titan trolls telling us how we'd never live that down? Remember all the Titan trolls who said they owned Austin TX?

Well now Vince Young sucks donkey balls err..um, Sausage (Honestly he's probably the worst backup in the League and they drafted him to start games for them) and Titan games have also been pulled out of Austin this year. LOL, even "VY land" knows he's a bust now.

Blazing Arrow
08-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Man Vince Young really does suck... I'm glad we dodged that bullet. Remember when we had all those Titan trolls telling us how we'd never live that down? Remember all the Titan trolls who said they owned Austin TX?

Well now Vince Young sucks donkey balls err..um, Sausage (Honestly he's probably the worst backup in the League and they drafted him to start games for them) and Titan games have also been pulled out of Austin this year. LOL, even "VY land" knows he's a bust now.

I was going to make a comment on 3 consecutive 1st round busts by the great Reese but I started looking at the picks in the 1st round over those seasons ... even the second rounders and there is a lot of garbage in there.

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 12:49 AM
I was going to make a comment on 3 consecutive 1st round busts by the great Reese but I started looking at the picks in the 1st round over those seasons ... even the second rounders and there is a lot of garbage in there.

Well how many of those are still on the roster? Oh and Reese didn't have anything to do with Young.....you can thank your owner for that one, he's still there right? Or did Satan already come knocking?

Blazing Arrow
08-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Well how many of those are still on the roster? Oh and Reese didn't have anything to do with Young.....you can thank your owner for that one, he's still there right? Or did Satan already come knocking?

Are you trying to solidify my point?

Young isn't dead yet ... if you come back he will bight your legs off!

Carr Bombed
08-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Are you trying to solidify my point?

I wasn't talking about Young, I was talking about your owner.

Specnatz
08-22-2009, 01:40 AM
The entire team looked like crap ...

They have looked like crap for 10 years it is just that your used to looking at that kind of crap in SF. So you did not notice.

infantrycak
08-22-2009, 09:01 AM

He is going to form a loop out of his legs to where they fall off? That might be the most impressive thing he has done since the Rose Bowl.

Sadly he wouldn't be able to throw a football through the leg bight even if someone was threatening to bite his legs off.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Dallas Morning News article from Jean Jacques Taylor

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082409dnspotaylorcol.33da293.html

It's sad watching Vince Young play football these days. There's no other way to describe it.

The sensational playmaker we saw deliver a national championship to Texas no longer exists. When Young played at UT, you never missed a play because you never knew when he would deliver the spectacular.

All we knew is that it would occur and if you didn't miss a play, you didn't have to rely on descriptions from friends and other writers that simply wouldn't do it justice.

Frankly, Young should've won the Heisman Trophy instead of Reggie Bush.

All you need to know is on USC's most important play in the national championship game, Bush was standing on the sideline. On UT's most important play in the waning seconds, Young scored the game-winner.

That's among the reasons it was so difficult to watch the Tennessee Titans' backup quarterback play in a preseason game Friday against Dallas. These days, Young plays with none of the swagger of the youngster who once convinced Mack Brown it was OK to be a rapper.

If the Titans have the courage to deal with the embarrassment, none of us should be shocked if they cut him.

He's just not that good.

It's hard to believe he was recently quoted as saying he would be the next African-American quarterback to win a Super Bowl, and that he'll eventually be in the Hall of Fame.

Actually, those comments sound like the kind of empty braggadocio usually associated with prize fighting.

Roy Williams needed nearly 10 seconds to figure out a way to describe his former teammate's career.

First, Williams smiled. Then he paused. Then he shrugged. Then he looked upward.

Then he smiled awkwardly. Again.

Finally, Williams spoke.

"I wish the best of luck to the guy," he said. "We all know he can play and we all know the things he can do when his head is on right."

The glory days, for Young, are over.

He can tell his kids that once upon a time, he was the best. There's certainly no shame in being a college legend who failed as a pro.

Archie Griffin is doing quite well.

Hervoyel
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
The reader comments on that story are worth the price of admission all by themselves. One guy rationalizes that Vince is just too damn strong for his own good and that every time he goes to throw the ball he has to stop and think about it to keep from (presumably) overthrowing his receiver or possible crushing someone's rib cage I guess.

Vince Young apologists are priceless. Their takes are bizarre but you gotta love their passion and ability to deny reality.

What's next? "Vince's arm is so strong that before he attempts a pass he has to remember which direction he's facing so as not to accidentally create a "throwing wave" that could alter the earths rotation. By keeping his passes sub-orbital he manages to minimize the damage. There is some speculation that Vince Young is responsible for the increased winds that have contributed to the larger number of hurricanes coming off the coast of west Africa in recent years."

Double Barrel
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, VY is so strong that when he does push ups, he's actually pushing the Earth down. So there is some validity to that reader's comments. :muscles: