PDA

View Full Version : Keith's training camp diary

Wolf
08-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Day 3 of Texans training camp saw the players pull on the shoulder pads for the first time, and the intensity soon followed. Noisy practices are good practices, and there was plenty to hear on the field Sunday morning.

Plenty to see too, as first round pick Brian Cushing made his first on-field appearance since inking a five-year contract. And while it's still so-so-so early, the early indications are that your new starter at strongside linebacker did not disappoint.

But enough of the pre-show. Time to get on with the training camp diary.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20090802.html

8:17 - Ahh, there he is! Cushing opts to go without the ponytail today, and yes, hopefully this is my last hair-related update for awhile. God willing. As Cushing immediately takes his place as the starter at Sam, Zac Diles moves in for walkthrus as the Will with DeMeco Ryans as the Mike. Ryans and Cushing share a laugh, and I can only imagine it has something to do with general manager Rick Smith and not shampoo (crap!).

:spit:

Wolf
08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
8:20 - Shhh... what's this? As a part of their walkthrus, Kevin Bentley joins the linebackers while Cushing drops down to left end. The move is specific to have Cushing cover the tight end.

hmm

More backups join the fray as Grossman underthrows Jacoby Jones, allowing first-year corner Mark Parson to break up the pass. Jones had been able to create some space before his QB came up just a bit short. Foster then returns to make yet another dazzling downfield run between the tackles. Yum-may! Foster is a terrific fit for this offense. Bid! Grossman then finds a way to unload his cannon deep (yes, again), this time with Martinez running underneath it for the touchdown.

9:53 - Back to 11-on-11, and ho-ho-ho! It's Cushing free on a blitz, unabated to Schaub. Welcome aboard! Here's a high-five from defensive coordinator Frank Bush!

RipTraxx
08-02-2009, 06:59 PM
You may have just been seeing a 4-3 under look where the same stacks over the TE. Did Bentley come in for Diles or did Diles stay?

GP
08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Everybody needs to click the link that's in the first post.

It's basically a play-by-play of the whole camp session.

Lots and lots of good details in there, which makes it a lot better for those of us who want to see mental pictures of what happened at practice.

KEITH: Thank you for providing the details in your website report! Awesome.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
10:12 - The first teams are back as the team focuses on third down conversions. From three yards out, Schaub finds Kevin Walter on a quick hook, complete. Brown then rushes up the middle on failed linebacker blitz. Then from six yards out for a first down, Slaton runs untouched ten yards before he is touched. Daniels then pulls in a low throw by Schaub for the conversion, in spite of decent coverage by Barwin.

What?

Barwin in coverage on Daniels? Was this a zone blitz or are we going to be confusing offenses with the flexibility of our players, sometimes Barwin's a DE, sometimes a LB and the same with Cushing?

Lucky
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
From aj's practice report:

Seen on the field after practice: Richard Justice interviewing Brian Cushing. Someone standing near me suggested that Justice was likely asking Cushing to describe the feeling and just how special it was ... to be on the field with Vince Young during that Rose Bowl game 3 1/2 years ago.Now that's funny! :rofl:

Wolf
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Now that's funny! :rofl:

:spit:

J. Sean Wonton
08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Great info and humor! Thanks a bunch!

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
It sets a tone as the defense begins to take control. Moats fumbles as Williams unleashes a giant swatting arms from the heavens upon him. Slaton saves some face for the offense on the next play, making an awesome backside cut. Nobody was home (Ferguson?), and Slaton is home free.

I saw this and thought "Holy crap!" I mean to tell you, that swat looked devastating from where I was standing. I think it was hard enough to have broken Moats' arm if directly hit.

There has been a lot of swating of the ball compared to past camps. With Mario obviously leading the way.

TimeKiller
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Less Mario, more Wario!!!!!!

NitroGSXR
08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I saw this and thought "Holy crap!" I mean to tell you, that swat looked devastating from where I was standing. I think it was hard enough to have broken Moats' arm if directly hit.

There has been a lot of swating of the ball compared to past camps. With Mario obviously leading the way.
They really have been swatting like crazy all week. Even after the play is finished. I noticed Bennett and Wilson trying to swat balls out of WRs as they jog back to the line of scrimmage.

Swat is the name of the ride this year. Old Astroworld memories...

painekiller
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Now that's funny! :rofl:

Your Welcome

said the voice in the crowd

JCTexan
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
8:17 - Ahh, there he is! Cushing opts to go without the ponytail today, and yes, hopefully this is my last hair-related update for awhile. God willing. As Cushing immediately takes his place as the starter at Sam, Zac Diles moves in for walkthrus as the Will with DeMeco Ryans as the Mike. Ryans and Cushing share a laugh, and I can only imagine it has something to do with general manager Rick Smith and not shampoo (crap!).

So I guess that means Diles is the 3rd starting LB ahead of Adibi. So Adibi's running with the two's?

D-Frank
08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
So I guess that means Diles is the 3rd starting LB ahead of Adibi. So Adibi's running with the two's?

havent been there but from what i heard yes, I hope Diles can hold it down I really love his play. sometimes measureables arent accurate, Adibi taller faster quicker but overall Diles has got skills, kinda like someone sayin they dont want Anquan Boldin starting cause he runs a 4.7.keep fighting Zac!

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM

I wouldn't say that. They've been rotating reps with the 1's. Adibi has been getting plenty of 1st reps. I assume this will be a lengthy competition between the 2. Personally, I'm favoring Adibi to win the position. Although, they're both having a solid camp so far.

The DT position is another that might have a heated competition. Starting or not, I expect a contant rotation of Okoye, Cody, Okam, Robinson with Bulman, TJ and Smith mixed in.

JCTexan
08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't say that. They've been rotating reps with the 1's. Adibi has been getting plenty of 1st reps. I assume this will be a lengthy competition between the 2. Personally, I'm favoring Adibi to win the position. Although, they're both having a solid camp so far.

The DT position is another that might have a heated competition. Starting or not, I expect a contant rotation of Okoye, Cody, Okam, Robinson with Bulman, TJ and Smith mixed in.

So they're rotating reps? That should be a good battle. I personally don't care who wins it as long as it's the better of the two. Having a backup like Adibi or Diles only makes this team better.

The DT position would have been my next question: Are Okam & Robinson are getting the reps with the 1's, or are they sharing with Okoye & Johnson?
9:12 - Yes, now we're talkin'... time for some 11-on-11 work! Frank Okam has joined Deljuan Robinson as the starter on the inside with Williams and Smith flanking them on the ends. Cushing continues work with the first team.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 03:28 PM
So they're rotating reps? That should be a good battle. I personally don't care who wins it as long as it's the better of the two. Having a backup like Adibi or Diles only makes this team better.

The DT position would have been my next question: Are Okam & Robinson are getting the reps with the 1's, or are they sharing with Okoye & Johnson?

Yes, Adibi and Diles are rotating.

Okam, Robinson and Cody have all gotten reps with the 1's. Like AJ mentioned in his TC comments, they are showing all kinds of different Dline looks. It's been interesting to watch so far.

TJ isn't practicing yet due to rehabbing the sports hernia. I'd assume he'd be out for a least another couple weeks (a guess).