PDA

View Full Version : Texans Re-sign Zgonina

HOU-TEX
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, just as I was ragging on his performance, we re-sign him. Did I know Okoye had a scope? :thinking:

The Texans are re-signing defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina because Travis Johnson and Amobi Okoye are recovering from surgery.

Zgonina, 39, spent the last two seasons as a reserve with the Texans. His contract expired after last season.

The defense needs him because Johnson had surgery to repair a sports hernia four weeks ago and Okoye underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in June.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6554535.html

Jackie Chiles
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
There have been reports about Okoye's scope for a while now but everything indicated that he would be 100 percent by camp. This signing is a bit of a bummer if it means that Amobi is not fully recovered.

gtexan02
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I think Zgonina is also a long snapper, iirc, so maybe they are looking for more versatility

Goldensilence
07-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Ultimately I think he'll be not much more then a camp body.

I think Josh Leonard has more potential to make an impact then Zgonina.

badboy
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Ahman Green is in negotiations?

76Texan
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Ultimately I think he'll be not much more then a camp body.

I think Josh Leonard has more potential to make an impact then Zgonina.

Unfortunately, I think Leonard will not make it!
The Texans loved Zgonina's work ethic so I don't mind see him in camp either.
But I will be surprised if he makes the roster for another year.

Goldensilence
07-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Agree on Leonard not making it, I like his speed and athleticism though.

I like Zgonina's work ethic and the fact that's he's 39 and wanting to suit up for another TC says a lot about the guy. That's something I don't think I could see out of a guy like TJ, suiting up at 38-39 and making a team.

76Texan
07-30-2009, 03:35 PM

I like Zgonina's work ethic and the fact that's he's 39 and wanting to suit up for another TC says a lot about the guy. That's something I don't think I could see out of a guy like TJ, suiting up at 38-39 and making a team.

You always hope something would rub off of Zgonina onto TJ! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

BTW, just a reminder, if anybody goes to TC, can you check out DE Tim Jamison please. I really like his motor!

Silver Oak
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
the man is always the first to take the field every game. that shows me someone who's ready to play the game every week.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM

I can agree with y'all on work ethic, but if he ends up being more than just camp fodder we're in trouble. He might've been a good DT at one time, he was, by far, our worst DT last season.

I doubt I'd be surprised if he made the team, but I'd surely be disappointed.

76Texan
07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I can agree with y'all on work ethic, but if he ends up being more than just camp fodder we're in trouble. He might've been a good DT at one time, he was, by far, our worst DT last season.

I doubt I'd be surprised if he made the team, but I'd surely be disappointed.
I know what you mean! :gun:

TimeKiller
07-30-2009, 04:21 PM
If he's on the roster for game 1 something went wrong somewhere.

Ben Frank
07-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I can't seem to understand why athletic's wait a month or 2 before the season's about to start to have surgery.. if Amobi knew he needed surgery he should have gotten it done 2 weeks - a month after the season was over.. do some of these guys really want to play.. or just sit back and collect a check

Polo
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Unexpected.

BSofA04
07-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Best case scenerio: He's a warm body that's an insurance policy, not expected to be the starter like last season at times.

Something good out of this is that Okam should see some significant playing time. We should know wheter or not he's worth a roster spot or not. He dedicated himself to losing weight this offseason, let's see if his hard work is going to pay off on the field.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
BTW, just a reminder, if anybody goes to TC, can you check out DE Tim Jamison please. I really like his motor!

I second this. I've got hopes for this kid and I was happy when we got him UDFA.