PDA

View Full Version : Official Training Camp Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Andrew6
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
is there a practice tommorow?

Jackie Chiles
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I have some thoughts on Martinez he made some great catches today over the past two days in camp and looked decent on punt returns as another person has stated in this thread already. I like what I've seen from him so far although it has only been two days. I know how stacked at WR the Texans are right now. Does anyone have any other thought on this guy? Does he have enough to make a push on either of the wideouts who made the team last year? Is too early to tell right now? I am also wondering about number 84 Jenkins. Does anyone have any other thoughts on Martinez and Jenkins and their chances of being a Texan and where they might fit in on this team?

I would guess that in order for Martinez or Jenkins to make the team Jacoby would have to perform poorly. We would lose some playmaking ability but gain consistency. I won't be shocked if it happens but I imagine the coaches and most fans want to see Jacoby succeed.

Jackie Chiles
08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I really do like Grossman though. He could air it out at Miami. I just hated what I saw on Friday. I guess what I saw on Friday left THAT much of a bad taste in my mouth. I'll try to be more objective in the AM.

Florida, although I imagine he probably did have some nice games at Miami. I also thought he would have had more success in the NFL by now.

gary
08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
is there a practice tommorow?Tomorrow morning.

gary
08-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I would guess that in order for Martinez or Jenkins to make the team Jacoby would have to perform poorly. We would lose some playmaking ability but gain consistency. I won't be shocked if it happens but I imagine the coaches and most fans want to see Jacoby succeed.I want JJ to succeed and I think all the fans do.

gary
08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Yep. Her dad was a hippie. Obviously.I'll keep my eye out.

Kimmy
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I want JJ to succeed and I think all the fans do.

Raises Hand -- I do, I do!

If he has matured during this offseason, he will be great.

gary
08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Raises Hand -- I do, I do!

If he has matured during this offseason, he will be great.As long as he holds onto the football he should be alright.

Honoring Earl 34
08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
As long as he holds onto the football he should be alright.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PuZoLkvmBbc/SYpEBg793II/AAAAAAAACXw/XauVe1uVMvk/s320/Clifford+Franklin.jpg

NitroGSXR
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
I want JJ to succeed and I think all the fans do.

I want him to succeed too but I'm done with the Jacoby Jones experiment. He is NOT a WR and has issues at PR despite all the flash he brings to the table. I was one of those who groaned when Jones dropped an easy catch (from Grossman?) today.

He really was a fan favorite. Probably signed the 2nd most autographs that were not team ordered on Friday. Kris Brown had to be number one since his practice session ended a little quicker than the rest of the team. Jacoby showed love for the fans. I like him.

gary
08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I want him to succeed too but I'm done with the Jacoby Jones experiment. He is NOT a WR and has issues at PR despite all the flash he brings to the table. I was one of those who groaned when Jones dropped an easy catch (from Grossman?) today.

He really was a fan favorite. Probably signed the 2nd most autographs that were not team ordered on Friday. Kris Brown had to be number one since his practice session ended a little quicker than the rest of the team. Jacoby showed love for the fans. I like him.How about Eric Winston? My friend told me that Eric signed both sides of the gate and the sweat was pouring off him.

Kimmy
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
How about Eric Winston? My friend told me that Eric signed both sides of the gate and the sweat was pouring off him.

He did, he signed for everyone. A real trooper.

NitroGSXR
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
How about Eric Winston? My friend told me that Eric signed both sides of the gate and the sweat was pouring off him.

I did not see Eric. I only hung out in there on Friday. I did not do the autographs today. I just wanted to go home. I was tired. I'll definitely do it tomorrow though.

Texan JBZ
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just received a tweet on my G1 from Eric Winston's blog. He stated that "Samson" aka Brian Cushing got a haircut tonight! He says they gave him the Matt Schaub fade. Thank goodness!

mexican_texan
08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I have some thoughts on Martinez. He made some great catches over the past two days in camp and looked decent on punt returns as another person has stated in this thread. I like what I've seen from him so far although it has only been two days. I know how stacked at WR the Texans are right now. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this guy? Does he have enough to make a push on either of the wideouts who made the team last year? It is too early to tell right now? I am also wondering about number 84, Jenkins. Does anyone have any other thoughts on Martinez and Jenkins and their chances of being a Texan and where they might fit in on this team?
I expect Jenkins to be a strong contender to make the roster or be on the short list in case a WR gets hurt.

J. Sean Wonton
08-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Wonder who the fourth DL was on this play...?
I only see Mario, Antonio, and Connor.
You're telling me that just those three guys totally collapsed the pocket like that??

...oh and where are the rest of these photos?

It looks like Bulman is in there too, or maybe Cody. I guess Cody makes more sense. I can't see who's blocking him or what happens to him from the pictures. The rest of the pictures are here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1219924&postcount=61).

whiskeyrbl
08-03-2009, 04:54 AM
thanks, I find it weird how the fans come early to camp every year but can't get the stands as full before kickoff in a regular season game.
Probably because the real games are not first come first serve. It's a shame though. We are in our seats every game by 11 or 11:15.

ObsiWan
08-03-2009, 06:27 AM
BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just received a tweet on my G1 from Eric Winston's blog. He stated that "Samson" aka Brian Cushing got a haircut tonight! He says they gave him the Matt Schaub fade. Thank goodness!

Other than giving Cush the rookie treatment, why is his long hair an issue?

ObsiWan
08-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Probably because the real games are not first come first serve. It's a shame though. We are in our seats every game by 11 or 11:15.

Agreed. And too, it's easier for 3000-some DIEHARD fans to get there early as opposed to 60,000+ fans, many of whom are tailgating, to do so.

False Start
08-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Other than giving Cush the rookie treatment, why is his long hair an issue?

I never really had a problem with it, I mean look at some of the players with the dreadlocks hanging down to their ass.

Shaft75
08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Anyone at practice this morning??? I'm jonesing for some Texan TC reports.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
As long as he holds onto the football he should be alright.

Well, I kept an eye on JJ a few times over tha past few days and have to say, he's gotta be on the bubble. I've made it known in the past that I like Jenkins and he has yet to drop a ball. JJ had better watch his back because he's got Jenkins and Martinez looking to steal his spot. IMO, they've outperformed JJ by far. It's still early, but the JJ experiment might be cut short.
I think they've forced him to stay at the team hotel in order to keep him focused and out of trouble.

Here's a picture of how he's been carrying the ball. Not good! Plus, notive has small his hands are.

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10426.jpg

spurstexanstros
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I did see Jacoby make a spectacular catch on the # 2 field ...it was encouraging.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I did see Jacoby make a spectacular catch on the # 2 field ...it was encouraging.

That's JJ. He'll make a spectacular play then turn around and drop a wide open pass or bobble a punt. He's way too inconsistant, IMO anyway.

Texan JBZ
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Any updates on Glover Quin's injury?

NitroGSXR
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
That's JJ. He'll make a spectacular play then turn around and drop a wide open pass or bobble a punt. He's way too inconsistant, IMO anyway.
He dropped way too many passes today. Some were even wide open passes! Passes were thrown into heavy traffic were still hauled in by Martinez and #84.

The Jacoby Jones experiment is over.

My thoughts on today's practice...

Camp was great today. I'm seeing new new things from our defense. I saw us lining up in 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2 formations. Cushing would line up at end to cover a TE while Ryans slid over to the outside along with Diles. It was really really interesting seeing it. When that happened... I also thought that I saw Dressen, Hill, and Daniels line up in a 3 TE formation. OD and Hill on one side and Dressen on the other? What's that all about?

Hill looks really thin. I think he needs to bulk up a little bit.

Cushing... I don't know. The man can play football. That I know but I also noticed his intensity would waver at times. I just didn't see the same heart that he put into his weightlifting videos in the past on the field today. He did intercept Orlovsky's (??) pass right at the end of practice so we know Cushing is ALERT on the field. Definitely a severe upgrade from Morlon.

Connor Barwin... oh man! The man is small. 255 lbs but his spin move is devasating. He has so much speed it's silly. I definitely am CERTAIN we will be rushing the passer so much more effectively from now on and Barwin will be a HUGE reason why. The man is F-A-S-T! He has this instinct that can't be taught. Motor chugs!

Camp was fun. I'm headed back to Austin this afternoon to bring home our new dog, Marley. Thanks Andrew6 and Amy!! I'll be back without the family on Wednesday so that'll help my pocketbook. I think I overspent at the reduced merchanise section. Ugh. Me? I just come for football so can't wait for more training camp!!

Anyone know if they have wi-fi at the camp? I was thinking about bringing my laptop and trying to upload pictures and report as the camp goes along.

The Texans in 2009 are going to be something special.

NitroGSXR
08-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Any updates on Glover Quin's injury?
Ugh. He got injured? I didn't see that. As camp was finishing up today, I was thinking that camp has been going along pretty good considering only one minor injury came out of it, #30 on the first day of practice. Now I'm hearing about Quin?

Texan JBZ
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Ugh. He got injured? I didn't see that. As camp was finishing up today, I was thinking that camp has been going along pretty good considering only one minor injury came out of it, #30 on the first day of practice. Now I'm hearing about Quin?

Yeah, texanmojo linked a report from chron.com that indicated that he left practice this morning with some sort of lower leg or foot injury.

Andrew6
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
vonta Leach laid the wood today on Fred Bennet. nocked Bennets hellmet off and ran him over.

jaayteetx
08-03-2009, 11:42 AM
vonta Leach laid the wood today on Fred Bennet. nocked Bennets hellmet off and ran him over.

Vonta is a beast!

NitroGSXR
08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Vonta is a beast!
So is Grigsby. I'm really liking Boomer Grigsby. He also nailed a block that knocked Diles down flat on his face yesterday. I hope they both make the team.

nunusguy
08-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I dunno, anybody else think Cushing looks more like a DE than a LB ?
Today was my first trip to TC and really the guy was even taller than what I'd expected and he appears much more rangy than most LBs who are often downright stockily. And he does move well. I was favorable impressed.

Andrew6
08-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Offense today
O Line held ok but DLine has kicked it up from last year and rushed the passer
QB Grossman well he's the same
Dan looked decent
Schaub looked decent
RB core looked good all around, Chris Brown looks to run bit high for his height. Slaton is the man and Foster is following behind.

WR looked decent I saw JJ make one catch and well thats it . . .

TE looked decent didn think Owen really cared to be out there and Casey looked good.

Defense

Mario GREAT
Amobi heh is it ok to say he's still so young?
Okam is HUGE. GUy looks like he should be destroying Oline but has no motor kind of like an old 69 Pontiac bonneville with a 4 cyl honda motor in it. If that guy ever increases his intensity he'll be unstopable. Right now he reminds me of a big lazy guy kind of like that Z guy that got cut and then brought back with the huge calves
Barwin is light and small and got pushed around but is quick enough to make Oline miss and get behind them to make plays. T. Johnon did alot of watching. Rest of the D didn't look horrible.
I like our LB core and I'm sure someone wants to hear bout Cushing. He looked good and bad on plays. He over persued on a few and was in the right place right time on others. He'll have to work on his angles a little bit but dude is quick. Demeco looks better and looks like he put some weight on. I really didn't pay too much attention to anyone else.

Other than that The VONTA hit on Bennett was the highlight of practice for me.

ObsiWan
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Three plays stood out for me this morning...

(1) Vonta Leach steamrolling Bennett. That drew a big "OOOOOH!" from the crowd.

(2) The INT by Cushing. Dan O. was trying to hit someone (Davis?) with a 15-yarder over the middle. Cushing step in front of it and made a clean pick.

(3) The only non-catch by A.J. today was on a go route down the right sideline. McCain was with him step for step and nearly picked it off (see HT.com Camp Photos: Day 4, Photo 3 of 16).
That was the ONLY time A.J. was actually covered - by ANYBODY - all day. You guys who were there know what I mean. A.J. had been a beast all day - catching everything that came close.

McCain is someone worth keeping an eye on. He's already getting some time with the 1's...
...Dunta, are you listening?

Another "honorable mention" play was when Slaton got the handoff with the whole line flowing right. He decides to cut back left and ran smack into Mario. This did not end well for Steve. I mean Slaton looked like he had just run into a dump truck. It was almost funny the way he bounced off Mario.

Overall, the intensity seemed down from the practices I attended last year, as I recall. Maybe it's me.

At this early stage, I'd say our RBs will be Slaton, Brown (like it or not), Foster, and Moats. That would give us two small, quick guys and two bigger, "power" guys. J.Johnson is another small, quick guy so he has serious work to do if he's going to leapfrog Moats on the depth chart.

On the whole, the D-line seemed to get the better of the O-line. Several times they would have gotten a sack had these been full contact scrimmages.

Dan O. seems to have more zip on his passes than the other two guys. But maybe that's because Schaub dumped off quite a bit - well, for my tastes anyway.

Those who haven't should go over to HT.com and sign up for tickets to the Saints/Texans open T/C sessions (http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/TexansvsSaintsOpenPractice.asp). Those are mid-week sessions Weds/Thurs., 8/19-20.

D-Frank
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Quick off the mark: In drills between the defensive and offensive linemen, rookie defensive end Connor Barwin blew by veteran offensive tackle Eric Winston.

Defensive line coach Bill Kollar made them do it again. Barwin beat Winston a second time, and they got testy, resulting in tempers flaring briefly, but the pushing and shoving was quickly broken up. - JOHN McCLAIN

I remember Pitts talkin on 610 the other day about Barwin coming in with a lil bit of "Swagger", sounds like it and thats great

ObsiWan
08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Winston seemed to have trouble with speed guys all last year.

D-Frank
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Quin walked without a problem after practice. He underwent an MRI as a precaution. per chron.com

76Texan
08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
... I also thought that I saw Dressen, Hill, and Daniels line up in a 3 TE formation. OD and Hill on one side and Dressen on the other? What's that all about?

We didn't use the 3-TE set hardly last year because Bruener was not right, but we had used it here and there before.

I don't know what the Texans call it, but the Broncos call that their TREY-Formation when you have 3 TEs, 1 Back, and a flanker (Z).
The first TE is the Y-man, the second is the U-man, and the third is the TREY.
They even have a play called Far West RT Slot, in which the Z-receiver lines up in the weakside slot. The U-man would go to his outside, and the TREY goes wide-right, the Y-man in the TE normal strong side position.

They also have a U-Goal line set with no receiver.
3 TEs, a FB and a RB.
They call the TEs: the Y-man, U-man, and Z-man.

The Texans was about to try that in the Jags game in that goal line series, using Salaam as the third TE, but there was a mix-up so they called it off.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Foster impressing the coach? Keep in mind Kubiak was supposedly impressed with Wali Lundy too. So take it FWIW.

I've been to all open practices thus far and he looks the part. There's still a lot of camp to go though.

"It's very early, but it's obvious – he's impressive," Kubiak said. "He's kind of what you look for. He's a downhill runner, no nonsense. He's got a big body. Reminds me of Chris Brown when he came out of college a few years ago.

"So we'll see, but I think we knew we were getting a talented young man. As long as we have everyone else in line and he's being a pro and taking care of his business, he's got an excellent chance to help the team."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5414

gary
08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
JJ has wideouts breathing down his back in camp with him just making one catch all morning. I don't have a device to post any updates during practice. I did not see Parson do anything noticeable. Conner on one play just man handled Winston driving him back across the field it looked looked like they were going to get into it I don't know if it was for real but players started heading over to break it up as Eric was hot about it afterwards. Foster is going to be the second RB I feel and Chris Brown biggest thing is not his play on the field but his health as everyone already knows. Frank must play with more drive out there if he did he'd be a real beast and make the D that much better. The DL did bring the heat alot more often than last season. OD has some great play making counter parts at TE with Casey I'm telling you all that guy is going to be good.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 02:29 PM
-Clifton Dawson's injury doesn't look good. He must've shredded it while making his cut while running a pattern.

FWIW, Dawson has already been waived.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

NitroGSXR
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
JJ has wideouts breathing down his back in camp with him just making one catch all morning. I don't have a device to post any updates during practice. I did not see Parson do anything noticeable. Conner on one play just man handled Winston driving him back across the field it looked looked like they were going to get into it I don't know if it was for real but players started heading over to break it up as Eric was hot about it afterwards. Foster is going to be the second RB I feel and Chris Brown biggest thing is not his play on the field as everyone already knows. Frank must play with more drive out there if he did he'd be a real beast and make the D that much better. The DL did bring the heat alot more often than last season. OD has some great play making counter parts at TE with Casey I'm telling you all that guy is going to be good.
Arian Foster is the guy that I am the second most excited about. Number one has to be Connor Barwin after seeing him yesterday and today but Arian Foster has definitely shown that he should be making this team. What to become of Chris Brown? I think we're going to pound Chris Brown early on in the season until he breaks then slide Foster into his role then. We're saving Foster for our playoff run.

I looked for you but I did not find you today. Andrew6 texted me where you were but I did not have my phone on me at the time. I left it in the car so I could focus on watching and enjoying practice with my family. I will be back for the Thursday practice and the Wednesday Saints practice. Let's try to meet then. Maybe you should PM me for my text number so we can arrange to meet then. Mary Jane REALLY wants to meet you. You're one of her heros. She'd rather meet you than Andre Johnson and she's a big Texans fan. That much, Gary! Anyway, you're definitely a busy young man so don't make a special effort just for us. We will have plenty of opportunites, my friend.

gary
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks Nitro you rock man. I am liking the other wideouts more and more over JJ. I left you some rep.

spurstexanstros
08-03-2009, 03:12 PM
It was great to meet you Gary. I dont know how you guys do it every day...its freaking humid there. I am still buzzin about my camp experiance.

Now that my buzz has worn off, I have some thoughts.

I will agree with you that JJ has some competition just to make the team. I spent the most of my time there on the second field and I saw Jacoby drop alot of balls, although he made a spectacular catch while guarded. I liked the play of (i dont know his first name)Martinez and Mikey Jones #19. David Anderson is quick as heck . AJ makes every DB look like they are back in Highschool.(Is that a good thing or bad thing?) Kevin Walter is by far the best reciever not named Andre Johnson on our team. Glover Quin is as fast as Andre Davis.
Rex Grossman is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be I have a pic of a 50 yard bomb that was put right on AD's hands in the endzone.

Orlovsky is a giant (I am six 8 and I know tall people) I can see why the DanOs have man crushes on him. Now if he can play like he looks than maybe I will join the club.

Also I think that we have a young superstar on our defense and his name is Tim Bulman...that guy is fast and plays hard and he is relentless. I wasnt too impressed with Barwin on the first day(SAT) , but then I realized that was his first day and on the second day (sun) I was in position to watch the o-line vs d-line drills, but they moved it down the field and I looked down for some reason the moment Barwin beat Winston. (why does Barwin remind me of Vinny del Negro?)

I was impressed with Brown and his handling of Mario (for the most part)

I was fortunate to get some autographs from the team. TJ was great with my son, he brought him out of his shell. Sean Cody was great, his attitude impressed my wife , who also loved Jeff Zgnina.(she doesnt like pro athletes)

I am officially hoping John Busing makes the team. That guy had had a smile on his face the entire time and soaked up every minute of the signing session.

I told Jacques Reeves that I had to leave SA because there was a giant sucking sound in the Alamodome and he laughed pretty hard. The DB's were very gracious to the fans and so was the defensive line.

All in all it was a great trip....if you think I was a fan before the trip...you havent seen anything yet:texflag:

Porky
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Nitro you rock man. I am liking the other wideouts more and more over JJ. I left you some rep.

JJ won't make the team as a WR, but let's not forget his PR skills. I think he makes the squad myself.

gary
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
JJ won't make the team as a WR, but let's not forget his PR skills. I think he makes the squad myself.That's possiable but I've seen him have trouble on punt returns as well.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I found this tidbit from AJ interesting. I hope it can help Reeves's performance on the field.

Texans WR Andre Johnson
(on CB Jacques Reeves) "I think he's more comfortable in his place. I think last year, he was kind of here and there, probably thinking a lot more than just playing. I think he's definitely a much better player."

(on exchanging ideas with CB Jacques Reeves) "Well, we really don't talk about it in practice. Most of the time, the things that happen in practice, once we get in the locker room, we'll talk about plays here and there. That's mostly when we talk about football. It won't be when we're competing against one another. Also, when we go in from practice and see something on film, we may come back out and talk about what we watched. We just try to help each other out as much as possible."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5415

ObsiWan
08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Did anyone else see the play where David Anderson took the snap in the shotgun formation? There were RBs on either side of the "QB". After looking downfield for a count, he handed off to Foster (I think. ...couldn't see the number and he looked too big to be Slaton or Johnson and Moats was the other RB.)

Yes, friends and neighbors, we ran a WILDCAT-type play with Mr. Crazy, David Anderson at QB. I couldn't see if one of the QBs was split wide or not. I was so in shock to see 89 taking the snap I forgot to look until it was too late.

It caught the defense offguard and went for six.

I sure hope TexansBullpen.com captured that in today's photo bunch.

GuerillaBlack
08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I heard that Dunta Robinson has flown back to his Tampa area home (per ClutchFans poster that was on the same flight). Not a good sign if he is flying back to Florida.

barrett
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
it's been reported that they were running that formation with backups to help the 1's on Defense. Carrucci maybe? I can't remember.

barrett
08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
that's two really unsubstantiated posts back to back! wow!

mexican_texan
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Three plays stood out for me this morning...

(1) Vonta Leach steamrolling Bennett. That drew a big "OOOOOH!" from the crowd.

(2) The INT by Cushing. Dan O. was trying to hit someone (Davis?) with a 15-yarder over the middle. Cushing step in front of it and made a clean pick.

(3) The only non-catch by A.J. today was on a go route down the right sideline. McCain was with him step for step and nearly picked it off (see HT.com Camp Photos: Day 4, Photo 3 of 16).
That was the ONLY time A.J. was actually covered - by ANYBODY - all day. You guys who were there know what I mean. A.J. had been a beast all day - catching everything that came close.

McCain is someone worth keeping an eye on. He's already getting some time with the 1's...
...Dunta, are you listening?

Another "honorable mention" play was when Slaton got the handoff with the whole line flowing right. He decides to cut back left and ran smack into Mario. This did not end well for Steve. I mean Slaton looked like he had just run into a dump truck. It was almost funny the way he bounced off Mario.

Overall, the intensity seemed down from the practices I attended last year, as I recall. Maybe it's me.

At this early stage, I'd say our RBs will be Slaton, Brown (like it or not), Foster, and Moats. That would give us two small, quick guys and two bigger, "power" guys. J.Johnson is another small, quick guy so he has serious work to do if he's going to leapfrog Moats on the depth chart.

On the whole, the D-line seemed to get the better of the O-line. Several times they would have gotten a sack had these been full contact scrimmages.

Dan O. seems to have more zip on his passes than the other two guys. But maybe that's because Schaub dumped off quite a bit - well, for my tastes anyway.

Those who haven't should go over to HT.com and sign up for tickets to the Saints/Texans open T/C sessions (http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/TexansvsSaintsOpenPractice.asp). Those are mid-week sessions Weds/Thurs., 8/19-20.

I'll rep ya when I can, just signed up for both days.

Just a couple questions:
Do they have a list of the players? And would they allow me to take a small notebook to take notes?

Does anyone ride the Metrorail to the practices? Is it the same as gameday?

mexican_texan
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I heard that Dunta Robinson has flown back to his Tampa area home (per ClutchFans poster that was on the same flight). Not a good sign if he is flying back to Florida.
What was he doing in Houston in the first place? He can't negotiate a deal anyway.

Houston_Fanatic
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I'll rep ya when I can, just signed up for both days.

Just a couple questions:
Do they have a list of the players? And would they allow me to take a small notebook to take notes?

Does anyone ride the Metrorail to the practices? Is it the same as gameday?

They handed out a list of players with their numbers and other info at the Sunday practice. You can take notes and pictures - just no video cameras.

Metrorail would be a long walk but I suppose you could. Parking is FREE in the Purple lot, right across from the field next to the bubble where they practice.

Houston_Breed
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Just wondering who else is going on the 19th and 20th. I would love to meet some of you guys (and gals) and talk during the practice.

ObsiWan
08-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Just wondering who else is going on the 19th and 20th. I would love to meet some of you guys (and gals) and talk during the practice.

I signed up for tickets.
...now whether I can actually make it depends on how late I have to work.

J. Sean Wonton
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

I'm going!

TexMexMom
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I wish I could go! :foottap:

gary
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
It is my understanding that you are just allowed to sign up for tickets for only one of the open Saints practice and not the other. Is that true?

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
It is my understanding that you are just allowed to sign up for tickets for only one of the open Saints practice and not the other. Is that true?

Nah, you can get both, Gary. Initially they had the 20th locked out for some reason, but it's open now.

gary
08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Is it too late to sign up for the second practice?

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Is it too late to sign up for the second practice?

I don't think so, go for it Gary. If you can't get one, I can eventually email the ticket to you. I don't think they're numbered at all so they can't track anything.

gary
08-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I've lost the link.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I've lost the link.

Here's the link for the 20th.

https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/register.asp?m=143&c=210

gary
08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Here's the link for the 20th.

https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/register.asp?m=143&c=210I'm done. Thanks Hou-Tex.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm done. Thanks Hou-Tex.

No worries, my man. :winky:

gary
08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
:cool:

blitz90
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
From The General's blog (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/08/kubiak_rips_players_after_morn.html)

Kubiak rips players after morning practice

I've seen Gary Kubiak chew out players on the field. I've seen him jump on them off the field. He does it when he believes they deserve it.

I hadn't seen Kubiak go ballistic about his players until after today's morning practice. He was fuming becaue he considered it a terrible practice. He thought the players were sloppy and that center Chris Myers' injury in which a teammate rolled on his leg could be attributed to sloppy play.

After each practice, Kubiak gathers his players and coaches and other team personnel around him in the middle of the field. He let them have it. Then he did the same when he met with reporters. I imagine this means they'll have a spirited afternoon practice.

Myers wasn't the only player injured. Cornerback Jacques Reeves limped off the field after he went up in the end zone to try to take away the ball from receiver Andre Davis. Reeves had him covered like a rash, but Davis made a spectacular catch. Reeves stayed down for a while and then limped away. He didn't return to practice.

By the way, Davis looked outstanding in practice this mornning. Every time I looked up he was catching the ball, and it didn't matter if it was across the middle, down the sideline or a post route.

Each day, I watch cornerback Antwaun Molden run sprints by himself, and he looks pretty darn good to me. He's on PUP because of the foot injury that required surgery in December. Like Dunta Robinson last season, being on PUP means a player can work out by himself. Molden is running and cutting very well when he's outside on grass or inside on Field Turf. I don't think he'll be on PUP much longer. He looks terrific.

Former Denver coach Mike Shanahan is coming to Houston to watch the Texans on Tuesday. He'll stay a few days and visit with his son, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. They have a tremendous relationship. Kyle is the only one who dares take shots at his father, who was fired by the Broncos after last season.

Asked after practice today why his father is coming to watch the Texans next week, Kyle Shanahan said, "to learn how to coach." Ouch! We'll see how daddy responds on Tuesday.

Secondary coach David Gibbs does a good job working with young defensive backs. He had three rookie starters at cornerback last season with Kansas City. He's ideal for coaching young corners like Glover Quin, Brice McCain and even Fred Bennett, who enters his third season. Gibbs didn't get this job just because he's the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I was reading AJ's comments after yesterdays practice and this caught my attention.

That's just awesome!

Lots of youth football players in the crowd today. Several were yelling for Mario as he took a drink. Mario looked over and waved, and by the look on the kids' faces they'll be talking about that for a long time.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m8d3-Texans-training-camp-report-Day-4

Vinny
08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
According to the monitor, the heat index — combining air temperature and relative humidity — reached 110-degrees Fahrenheit during Tuesday’s morning practice, making it the hottest practice since camp started. It was also the first day players practiced in full pads and pants. - ANNA-MEGAN RALEY http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6560207.html

GP
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
From The General's blog (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/08/kubiak_rips_players_after_morn.html)

Rep your way! You'll be off of "zero" before too long.

Thank you for posting this!

Brando
08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
So Reeves went down with a deep bone bruise today?

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
So Reeves went down with a deep bone bruise today?

I think it's Quinn that has the bad bruise, no? I think Myers and Reeves have ankle issues.

Hardcore Texan
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Asked after practice today why his father is coming to watch the Texans next week, Kyle Shanahan said, "to learn how to coach." Ouch! We'll see how daddy responds on Tuesday.

Booya! Can't wait for that response.

ObsiWan
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I think it's Quinn that has the bad bruise, no? I think Myers and Reeves have ankle issues.

Today's M.A.S.H. report From Chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6560663.html)
(Yikes!!)

Texans cornerback Jacques Reeves suffered a fractured fibula in his leg during the morning practice Tuesday and is going to be out for six to eight weeks.

Reeves was covering receiver Andre Davis in the end zone. Davis made a leaping catch and came down with the ball. Both players fell. Reeves didn’t get up.
Reeves won’t require surgery. He was replaced in practice by rookie Brice McCain, the sixth-round pick from Utah.

Glover Quin, the fourth-round pick from New Mexico, would have replaced Reeves, but he’s sidelined because of a bruise on the outside of his knee.
Quin should return to practice soon.

Center Chris Myers suffered a high ankle sprain in the morning practice. He’s going to be out an undetermined time. He’s being replaced by veteran Chris White. Rookie Antoine Caldwell, the third-round pick from Alabama, will continue to back up at center and right guard.
Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, a fourth-round pick from North Carolina State, was on crutches because of a foot injury.

A bit more info from HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5420)

Reeves was in a walking boot on his left leg at the afternoon practice. He suffered the injury when he got tangled up covering wide receiver André Davis in the end zone during morning practice.

...shouldn't Reeves be on crutches too?

mexican_texan
08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Did anyone get their tickets emailed for the Saints practice? I signed up for both and got 2 emails telling me I should receive the tickets in an email soon after.

ObsiWan
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Did anyone get their tickets emailed for the Saints practice? I signed up for both and got 2 emails telling me I should receive the tickets in an email soon after.

Same here...
:o/

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
interesting

Morning practice notes: Tight end James Casey made a nifty one-handed grab during a team period over linebacker Brian Cushing, who was covering Casey on a corner route…offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said that Casey would "definitely" get some carries near the goal line during the preseason…

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5419

AFTexanFan
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I cant wait to see Casey on the goal line this season. It really sucks that Reeves is hurt now and without Dunta were stuck with Bennett and a rookie. On an optimistic side of it though, Reeves wont miss much of the season, and we may just find a pretty good corner in one of these rookies... See what David Gibbs did with Brandon Flowers in KC last year.

mexican_texan
08-04-2009, 09:26 PM
interesting

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5419
What I wanna know is...can he cover Reggie Wayne?

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
What I wanna know is...can he cover Reggie Wayne?

He could out Duke John Wayne :specnatz:

HOU-TEX
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Per the Nickster at the .com

Rookie cornerback Glover Quin returned to practice on Wednesday morning after missing two days with a leg bruise, though he did not participate in the entire practice session.

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/

badboy
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
He dropped way too many passes today. Some were even wide open passes! Passes were thrown into heavy traffic were still hauled in by Martinez and #84.

The Jacoby Jones experiment is over.

My thoughts on today's practice...

Camp was great today. I'm seeing new new things from our defense. I saw us lining up in 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2 formations. Cushing would line up at end to cover a TE while Ryans slid over to the outside along with Diles. It was really really interesting seeing it. When that happened... I also thought that I saw Dressen, Hill, and Daniels line up in a 3 TE formation. OD and Hill on one side and Dressen on the other? What's that all about?

Hill looks really thin. I think he needs to bulk up a little bit.

Cushing... I don't know. The man can play football. That I know but I also noticed his intensity would waver at times. I just didn't see the same heart that he put into his weightlifting videos in the past on the field today. He did intercept Orlovsky's (??) pass right at the end of practice so we know Cushing is ALERT on the field. Definitely a severe upgrade from Morlon.

Connor Barwin... oh man! The man is small. 255 lbs but his spin move is devasating. He has so much speed it's silly. I definitely am CERTAIN we will be rushing the passer so much more effectively from now on and Barwin will be a HUGE reason why. The man is F-A-S-T! He has this instinct that can't be taught. Motor chugs!

Camp was fun. I'm headed back to Austin this afternoon to bring home our new dog, Marley. Thanks Andrew6 and Amy!! I'll be back without the family on Wednesday so that'll help my pocketbook. I think I overspent at the reduced merchanise section. Ugh. Me? I just come for football so can't wait for more training camp!!

Anyone know if they have wi-fi at the camp? I was thinking about bringing my laptop and trying to upload pictures and report as the camp goes along.

The Texans in 2009 are going to be something special.I read not too long ago that team wants him up to 265 & should not hurt his quickness.

GP
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Camp was great today. I'm seeing new new things from our defense. I saw us lining up in 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2 formations.

The Cardinals defense did a lot of shifting and multiple looks.

When you watch the Cards' games last season (I saw the playoff games and the Super Bowl mostly, glanced occasionally at the reg season games) you'll have a hard time finding Antonio Smith because they move people around.

I am excited about the defense adding different looks.

badboy
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Booya! Can't wait for that response.Daddy S. will chuckle, shake his head and say "That's my boy!"

badboy
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
He could out Duke John Wayne :specnatz:But could he out karate Chuck Norris?

blitz90
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
For those that need their training camp fix for today.
Chronic Camp Insider (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6561550.html) Looks like Thor is human afterall.

Camp insider: Texans RB Brown having strong camp
By JOHN McCLAIN, JORDAN GODWIN and ANNA-MEGAN RALEY Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:13PM

Running back Chris Brown is having an outstanding camp. He’s making excellent cutbacks, and he doesn’t stop running until he reaches the end zone. Brown, 6-3, 234, made an tremendous run in the morning practice by cutting back, exploding through the hole, and outrunning free safety Brandon Harrison down the sideline for a 40-yard touchdown. In a two-minute drill, Brown had a 60-yard touchdown run. - JOHN McCLAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROWN AND OUT: Strong safety Nick Ferguson, who played well when paired with free safety Eugene Wilson over the second half of last season, made a terrific play on running back Chris Brown in the morning practice. Brown cut to his right once he broke through the line, but Ferguson was there to greet him hard enough that both went down. - JOHN McCLAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUNE STRIPS MOATS: Outside linebacker Cato June, who earned a Super Bowl ring with Indianapolis and played with Tampa Bay last season, made an exceptional play in the morning practice by stripping the ball from running back Ryan Moats. The defense was terrible at taking away the ball last season and must improve in that area if it’s going to improve overall. - JOHN McCLAIN

GOOD HANDS MAN: Two years ago, in his first camp with the Texans, receiver Andre Davis impressed everyone in camp by making just about every catch. Now he’s up to his old tricks. While most people watch Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels, Davis has been putting on a show. He’s made diving catches and leaping catches, and it hasn’t mattered who has been covering him. Unfortunately, his best catch might have been the one in the end zone Tuesday in which he came down with the ball and Jacques Reeves suffered a fractured fibula. - JOHN McCLAIN

OKAM MOVES UP: Second-year defensive tackle Frank Okam got some practice time with the first team Wednesday. Okam played next to Amobi Okoye. If Okam improves, he could help the line immensely. He’s still got a long, long way to go. - JOHN McCLAIN

HILL RETURNS: Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, 6-6, 269, was on crutches Tuesday but was back on the field Wednesday. Hill, who grew up in Houston and played at North Carolina State before the Texans selected him in the fourth round, had been bothered by a hamstring injury. He was on crutches because of a sore foot. In practice, he looked healthy as can be. - JOHN McCLAIN

DADS WATCH PRACTICE, TOO: Defensive backs coach David Gibbs and defensive coordinator Frank Bush aren’t the only people watching safety Eugene Wilson during practice. His father, Eugene Wilson Sr., has been watching his son go up against the Texans’ receivers during several practices. Daddy should be happy because his son has been doing well since camp began. Still, he doesn’t stop critiquing his son’s performance during each of his reps. - ANNA-MEGAN RALEY

CASEY GOES DOWN: The defense continued its abuse of rookie tight end James Casey. Safety Troy Nolan, a seventh-round pick from Arizona State, had a tough hit to prevent Casey from catching a pass over the middle. Casey had been catching everything in sight. Slow to get up, Casey limped away in pain and didn’t return. After practice, Casey revealed a swollen lower calf but had no complaints. - JORDAN GODWIN

BIG DAY FOR BENNETT: In the first practice without injured cornerback Jacques Reeves, Fred Bennett stepped up in a big way as the main cornerback. Bennett batted down balls all over the field and led the secondary in a terrific day of coverage. Working opposite Bennett were rookie corners Brice McCain and Glover Quin. - JORDAN GODWIN

BROWN PERFECT AS ALWAYS: During kicking practice, special teams coach Joe Marciano made an effort to get into kicker Kris Brown’s head. Marciano stood close to Brown and tried to distract him. Marciano tried everything, including taunting. Naturally, it didn’t work. Brown is one of the best clutch kickers in the league, and it’s hard to imagine his coach distracting him. But Brown was perfect from 40 yards out. Later, Brown missed two and wasn’t happy with himself. - JORDAN GODWIN

CALDWELL GETS MORE REPS: With the injured Chris Myers wearing a boot on his left foot, rookie Antoine Caldwell got more reps in practice at center. Chris White played with the first team while Caldwell, the third-round pick from Alabama, continued to back up at center and right guard. Myers’ absence means more reps in practice and more playing time in preseason games. During a break, Myers walked with Caldwell, giving him pointers on blocking. Myers may be out, but he's still making an impact on his team. - JORDAN GODWIN

CUSHING GETS TO SCHAUB: Rookie linebacker Brian Cushing, the first-round pick from USC, broke through the line on a blitz, getting Matt Schaub, who knew he would have been sacked if quarterbacks were allowed to be hit. If Cushing shows that ability to blitz in his first season, he'll be a crucial element to the Texans’ defense overall and pass rush in particular. - JORDAN GODWIN

MOATS STEPS UP: Veteran running back Ryan Moats, who played well near the end of last season as the backup to Steve Slaton, made a spectacular one-handed catch during the morning practice. He’s competing for playing time behind Slaton with veteran Chris Brown and rookies Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson. As much as the Texans threw to Slaton last season, good hands are an asset to the running backs. - JORDAN GODWIN

HOU-TEX
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
HILL RETURNS: Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, 6-6, 269, was on crutches Tuesday but was back on the field Wednesday. Hill, who grew up in Houston and played at North Carolina State before the Texans selected him in the fourth round, had been bothered by a hamstring injury. He was on crutches because of a sore foot. In practice, he looked healthy as can be. - JOHN McCLAIN

WTH, going from crutches directly back to the practice field. What's up with this dude?

gtexan02
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
WTH, going from crutches directly back to the practice field. What's up with this dude?

More of our famous Houston Texans healthy system at work. They are the strangest group Ive ever seen..

Hooston Texan
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Oh, to be 24 again. Plus, he's probably aware that there are three other very good tight ends in camp. While he's not in danger of being on the wrong side of the final 53, if he wants to play, he needs to practice.

J. Sean Wonton
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM

I'm getting an unsubtantiated impression that he is a TJ, Jr. TJ being someone that I have an unsubstantiated impression of being interested in avoiding two-a-days.

Vinny
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm getting an unsubtantiated impression that he is a TJ, Jr. TJ being someone that I have an unsubstantiated impression of being interested in avoiding two-a-days.

I doubt that very seriously. It's not like he is a first rounder with a big guaranteed contract. I don't know if he has any job skills but I doubt he would rather work than play football for a living.

badboy
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
For those that need their training camp fix for today.
Chronic Camp Insider (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6561550.html) Looks like Thor is human afterall.the heck with the players who is this Jordan Godwin giving these tidbits? Seriously, I know he is with Chron but I enjoy getting this type of info.

Big Lou
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
ESPN reports Arian Foster is nicked up with a pulled hammy from this mornings practice. Didn't see anything on this!

Brisco_County
08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Kubiak says that Casey will definitely receive some goal line carries in the preseason:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5138&line=147157&spln=1

Has anyone seen this during practice?

ObsiWan
08-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Kubiak says that Casey will definitely receive some goal line carries in the preseason:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5138&line=147157&spln=1

Has anyone seen this during practice?

I've only been to one camp session, but I didn't see Casey take any handoffs.

And I don't know how RotoWorld made the leap from the Kubiak quote they noted into "Casey will be taking goalline carries". Kubes never even mentions Casey. :headhurts:

Coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that fifth-round TE/FB James Casey will receive some goal-line carries in preseason action.
The Texans' goal-line duties are wide open right now. "Steve [Slaton] has to get much better in that area and we've got some guys that can push him," said Kubiak. Chris Brown and Arian Foster are also in the mix, with Brown entering camp as the favorite.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I've only been to one camp session, but I didn't see Casey take any handoffs.

And I don't know how RotoWorld made the leap from the Kubiak quote they noted into "Casey will be taking goalline carries". Kubes never even mentions Casey. :headhurts:

[/COLOR]

It was actually Lil Shanahan that mentioned Casey getting the ball in goaline situations....during preseason.

(on if he thinks TE James Casey get some carries near the goal line during the preseason) "In the exhibition season, definitely. We've got to see what they can do and the only way to see that is throwing them in games. So we're going to give everybody a shot in the preseason and whoever our best guys are in every situation, those will be the guys once week 1 starts."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5418

Ryan
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
So who's gonna be there tonight? I will be there sporting my Battle Red Demeco jersey :fans:

HOU-TEX
08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
In the roster prediction thread a while back I stated that Jeramiah Johnson would likely be IR'd due to his shoulder. Well, it seems like that might happen any day now. His shoulder's been popping out.

(on the injury to RB Jeremiah Johnson) "He can't come out and get hit right now. His shoulder pops out. We knew that when we brought him in; we knew what we were dealing with. Since we're in shorts today and tonight, you're going to see him working right now, but he's not ready for contact."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5430

rmartin65
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
In the roster prediction thread a while back I stated that Jeramiah Johnson would likely be IR'd due to his shoulder. Well, it seems like that might happen any day now. His shoulder's been popping out.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5430

That stuff is not fun. I played hockey all through high school, and had this problem. It is a pain, and I wish him the best recovering.

blitz90
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
J. Johnson needs to get that fixed ASAP if he wants a pro career. I had a recurring dislocated shoulder and know how that is. I got it fixed and its better then before. The Orthopedist basically sews the tendons up real tight and puts anchors in the bone so it won't come out EVER. Its a tough recovery but if your a pro athlete and are doing balls out rehab then he might miss 1/2 to 3/4 of the season assuming he got it done soon.

76Texan
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
It wasn't any surprise as many of us already know!
I think it's best for him to get it taken care of and come back strong next year.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
J. Johnson needs to get that fixed ASAP if he wants a pro career. I had a recurring dislocated shoulder and know how that is. I got it fixed and its better then before. The Orthopedist basically sews the tendons up real tight and puts anchors in the bone so it won't come out EVER. Its a tough recovery but if your a pro athlete and are doing balls out rehab then he might miss 1/2 to 3/4 of the season assuming he got it done soon.

I had the same procedure done except I had to have a 2nd surgery to have bone fragments removed that were initially not found. Unlike you, I finished playing the football season instead of having it repaired. When they did finally did the surgery, the top bone (don't know the name) was rounded off and the ball had a flat spot. Hence the bone fragments. Doc had to tighten it up so much my arm will not raise above my head. It did fine the remainder of my football career (1 yr).

Other than the annoyance of arthritis throughout the joint, it's still doing well.

TheRealJoker
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
That explains why JJ went undrafted.

GuerillaBlack
08-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Why didn't he get it taken care of before?

mexican_texan
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM
As a rookie, you don't want to admit you're injured when you're competing for the 5th spot.

Lucky
08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Quick notes on tonight's open practice (8/6):

Jacoby Jones - The star of this practice was Jacoby Jones. Yes, the the same Jacoby Jones that half this forum has on the waiver wire. From his "Air" drum major routine to the beat of the Texans Bullpen pep band at the beginning of practice, to the red zone drill that saw him score on 3 consecutive plays, Jones was dominating and entertaining. No one who watched this practice could ever say with a straight face that Jacoby is not one of the 53 best players on this roster.

The New Guys - Newly inked CB Deltha O'Neal participated in group drills only. But, Andre Hall hit the practice field running...both literally and figuratively. Hall has a nice burst and a willingness to hit the hole inside that Ryan Moats lacks. Not that Hall is a big back, but he has more size than Moats, as well. Hall's experience in the Gibbs' style attack shows, and I won't be surprised to see him make this squad.

The Rookie Corners - I paid close attention to both Glover Quin and Brice McCain during this practice. While both had their up and downs, overall McCain looks like the more NFL ready prospect. McCain was totally mismatched against Andre Johnson, but so is just about every other CB in the league. McCain showed well when faced off against guys like Anderson, Simmons, and Davis. McCain's tight coverage (maybe a tad too tight) against AD on the final play of practice was indicative of his willingness and his ability to stick with a NFL WR. Also, McCain flashed his acceleration during kick return drills, and wil be interesting to follow his progress in the preseason.

Glover Quin had more downs than ups, but you can see the potential in his ability to break on the ball. Quin was toasted by Jones on multiple occasions. But, he had a near red zone interception against Grossman, a series later. Gover is coming off a slight injury, so he may not be at 100%.

There are a lot of Mark Parson fans on the forum, so I would be remiss in not addressing this rookie free agent's performance. Parson was smoked by Darnell Jenkins on a fly pattern, early in practice. But during 2 minute drills (1st team offense vs. 2nd team defense), Parson broke up Schaub passes on both 3rd and 4th down, giving the 2nd team D the "win". Overall, I question whether parsons has the size/speed to make it as a NFL corner. But, he's got enough moxie to possibly keep around on the practice squad in case of an emergency.

Miscellaneous - Didn't see Diles put on his helmet during practice. Not sure why he was held out. Barwin tipped another pass. His leaping ability and timing could come in handy on those occasions when he is stoned on the pass rush. Chris White is currently 1st center. Larry Kirksey deserves credit for developing this group of WRs. I love how these guys come back to the ball to give the QB a better target, and settle into zone seams. I'm sad that this was the only night open practice. Hope that the Texans will re-think this very popular time slot's availability in 2010.

D-Frank
08-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Jacoby Jones - The star of this practice was Jacoby Jones. Yes, the the same Jacoby Jones that half this forum has on the waiver wire. From his "Air" drum major routine to the beat of the Texans Bullpen pep band at the beginning of practice, to the red zone drill that saw him score on 3 consecutive plays, Jones was dominating and entertaining. No one who watched this practice could ever say with a straight face that Jacoby is not one of the 53 best players on this roster.

The New Guys - Newly inked CB Deltha O'Neal participated in group drills only. But, Andre Hall hit the practice field running...both literally and figuratively. Hall has a nice burst and a willingness to hit the hole inside that Ryan Moats lacks. Not that Hall is a big back, but he has more size than Moats, as well. Hall's experience in the Gibbs' style attack shows, and I won't be surprised to see him make this squad.

The Rookie Corners - I paid close attention to both Glover Quin and Brice McCain during this practice. While both had their up and downs, overall McCain looks like the more NFL ready prospect. McCain was totally mismatched against Andre Johnson, but so is just about every other CB in the league. McCain showed well when faced off against guys like Anderson, Simmons, and Davis. McCain's tight coverage (maybe a tad too tight) against AD on the final play of practice was indicative of his willingness and his ability to stick with a NFL WR. Also, McCain flashed his acceleration during kick return drills, and wil be interesting to follow his progress in the preseason.

Glover Quin had more downs than ups, but you can see the potential in his ability to break on the ball. Quin was toasted by Jones on multiple occasions. But, he had a near red zone interception against Grossman, a series later. Gover is coming off a slight injury, so he may not be at 100%.

There are a lot of Mark Parson fans on the forum, so I would be remiss in not addressing this rookie free agent's performance. Parson was smoked by Darnell Jenkins on a fly pattern, early in practice. But during 2 minute drills (1st team offense vs. 2nd team defense), Parson broke up Schaub passes on both 3rd and 4th down, giving the 2nd team D the "win". Overall, I question whether parsons has the size/speed to make it as a NFL corner. But, he's got enough moxie to possibly keep around on the practice squad in case of an emergency.

Miscellaneous - Didn't see Diles put on his helmet during practice. Not sure why he was held out. Barwin tipped another pass. His leaping ability and timing could come in handy on those occasions when he is stoned on the pass rush. Chris White is currently 1st center. Larry Kirksey deserves credit for developing this group of WRs. I love how these guys come back to the ball to give the QB a better target, and settle into zone seams. I'm sad that this was the only night open practice. Hope that the Texans will re-think this very popular time slot's availability in 2010.

Thanks Lucky, you answered what intrigued me most, the competition between Quin and Mccain, I am on the Quin wagon and hope for him to win but at the same time I want whats best for the team. Overall I am happy in a sense that them 2 have been able to get so many reps with our top 3 recievers, who all bring something different to the table.

TheRealJoker
08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm happy to hear Mccain is doing well, we need his speed in the secondary.

I wouldn't count out Quinn just yet though, he's been making noise this offseason for a reason.

I cant wait for Molden to start practicing with the team, we need to see what he can do on defense this year. Especially if Reeves and Dunta aren't up to speed for a significant chunk of time.

mexican_texan
08-07-2009, 12:37 AM

Chris White is ahead of Caldwell at C? I just heard Kubiak complimenting Caldwell earlier today.

Andrew6
08-07-2009, 12:44 AM

appreciate the heads up.

Goldensilence
08-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Chris White is ahead of Caldwell at C? I just heard Kubiak complimenting Caldwell earlier today.

I think this staff, like most, tends to take the preference of someone more experienced initally. White has at least seen some NFL plays...not that he was stellar in those plays though. Really sucks to have Myers go down this early but, at least this gives us a chance to see what Caldwell can do.

steelbtexan
08-07-2009, 12:56 AM
It is better that Myers went down now because he has time to recover before the start of the reg season.

Carr Bombed
08-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Did anybody esle notice Frank Okam or was I just crazy, because I thought he was don't a pretty good job at shutting the middle down. I thought he had a pretty good practice.

However Travis Johnson once again showed how big of a bust he is....I'm sick of that guy.

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:15 AM

It happened in his 2nd game again Utah St.
He popped it after his first run of the game that went for 37 yds.
Sat out the rest of the game.

Came back the next week to gain 106 yds on 17 carries against Purdue.

He played well the rest of the way.

And then there were preparations for the draft, the combine, pro day...

Teams knew about it, that was why he went undrafted.

Looks like the Texans just want to bring him in and spend some time to evaluate him to be sure that he can fit the scheme for the long run.

Then he will have to undergo surgery.

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Did anybody esle notice Frank Okam or was I just crazy, because I thought he was don't a pretty good job at shutting the middle down. I thought he had a pretty good practice.

However Travis Johnson once again showed how big of a bust he is....I'm sick of that guy.

TJ is still not right!

Will you just forget where he was drafted at! :shades:

Carr Bombed
08-07-2009, 03:24 AM
TJ is still not right!

Will you just forget where he was drafted at! :shades:

Did you watch the practice tonight? I don't care about TJ, because I really don't think he'll make the team...really I just want to know if I'm crazy for thinking Frank Okam did well (I didn't have the best of seasts), but it sure looked like he did well.

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:24 AM

Miscellaneous Barwin tipped another pass. His leaping ability and timing could come in handy on those occasions when he is stoned on the pass rush.

Barwin loves to jump the passing lane.
I think we will see the best drop-back DE the Texans ever have, seriously!
(Move over, Weaver, LOL!)

What's the interception record for a Texan D-lineman?
I think, eventually, Barwin will surpass it.
That odd is pretty good!

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Did you watch the practice tonight? I don't care about TJ, because I really don't think he'll make the team...really I just want to know if I'm crazy for thinking Frank Okam did well (I didn't have the best of seasts), but it sure looked like he did well.

No, I would have love to make it!
Glad to hear about Okam.
You're gonna post more details or what? :specnatz:

Carr Bombed
08-07-2009, 03:29 AM
No, I would have love to make it!
Glad to hear about Okam.
You're gonna post more details or what? :specnatz:

I just remember about three plays in a row where he blew up the middle of the line and killed the running plays our offense was trying to run. He just seems like a much more motivated player.

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:31 AM
I just remember about three plays in a row where he blew up the middle of the line and killed the running plays our offense was trying to run. He just seems like a much more motivated player.

Against first team or second team offense?

Who were on the O-line, can you tell?

Carr Bombed
08-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Against first team or second team offense?

Who were on the O-line, can you tell?

It was against the 1st team offense and the 2nd team offense.....late in the practice they kept the 1st team defense against both and they had Frank Okam playing NT.

The offense tried to run like 3 plays up the middle and Frank killed all penetration which caused every play to be stuffed at the line.....pretty much he controled the middle. On another play shortly after, they called a passing play and Okam pushed the pocket right into the QB which forced a early pass which was almost picked off.

76Texan
08-07-2009, 03:44 AM
It was against the 1st team offense and the 2nd team offense.....late in the practice they kept the 1st team defense against both and they had Frank Okam playing NT.

The offense tried to run like 3 plays up the middle and Frank killed all penetration which caused every play to be stuffed at the line.....pretty much he controled the middle. On another play shortly after, they called a passing play and Okam pushed the pocket right into the QB which forced a early pass which was almost picked off.
That's very encouraging to hear about Okam!
I've always thought he can do better at a lower weight, ever since we first drafted him.

.... But ... It was because the O-line was missing Myers, LOL!

Brisco_County
08-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Was Caldwell playing center?

HOU-TEX
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Meh, I don't think you can really assess a practice like last night. I tell my self every year I'm not going back to a Thursday night practice, but I always end up there for some reason. Too crowded, no pads and players only going 3/4 speed, but I guess they put on a nice show for the fans. That's exactly what it looked like they were doing to me. When the number 1 offense was in the #2-3 defense went half speed, allowing deep balls to be easily caught. When the #1 defense was in the offense seemed to slow down a bit.

I left at 8:30. :)

Vinny
08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Was Caldwell playing center?

White is running with the first team and Caldwell second team. Mentally, Center is the hardest position on the line and the team has the vet in there.

pek281
08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Here's a few of my take from last night's action. I'm not a d-line or o-line guy, so no comments there. This was also my first practice to ever attend.

I guess there were two drumline impressions done because Alan Burge claims that Jacoby Jones did one, along with an earlier post here. I saw Andre Davis do a really good one that got the crowd involved. That guy is a ham.

Jacoby Jones looked like a starting receiver. He made several long catches, never missing one. Seriously, if that's where he is as receiver, he's got to be getting more play time.

Orlovsky was overthrowing his receivers on the long passes. He looked like he'd be taking some sacks if it were real action, he was holding on to the ball for a while waiting on a receiver to open up. He slightly missed a long one to James Casey, who got a hand on it, but missed it. Kub discussed it with Casey afterwards.

I never saw Grossman throw any deep ones, but he seemed very efficient dropping back and throwing the shorter passes. He was quick and the passes were nice and crisp.

Shaub looked by far the best. He's def'ly the starter. Not that's anything new to anyone.

Ferguson impressed me a few times in rushing situtations. He seemed to have the knack for where the ball was going and he was very quick. He would've made a few tackles.

TE Anthony Hill is one big dude. He looks like an O-line guy running around out there. They put him in a couple of passing situtations.

K Kris Brown has got a helluva leg. In practicing kick off returns (Andre Davis got the most reps), he started easing up some so that they could be returnable. They were going outside the end zone.

Can someone confirm for me that the one coach talking to the crowd at the 10-yard line was Frank Bush? That's where my seats were. He was a real down to earth guy, very friendly. He made one kid's day. At the end of practice, he called the kid over and then looked so happy to take the guy to midfield to the rest of the team, carrying his autograph ball.

Carr Bombed
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention......I did get James Casey's autograph. He's a cool humble dude, real down to earth. LOL, the guy thanked me after he signed my ball.

b0ng
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
So what are your guys early thoughts on Cushing?

Vinny
08-08-2009, 11:19 AM
So what are your guys early thoughts on Cushing? I hope he plays as well as he looks.

nunusguy
08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I hope he plays as well as he looks.
What does that mean V ? Are you being sarcastic ? And what did you really think of him (besides his appearance) ?
But on the subject of apparances, he is big. And he's rangy if not lanky and has more of the look of a DE than a LB to me. I thought for a moment "this guy resembles Jack lambert", then I thought "stop dreaming dummy". Hey, can't I can hope ?

Wolf
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
thread about 8/6 practice from ITB..

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707

Vinny
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I hope he plays as well as he looks.

What does that mean V ? Are you being sarcastic ? And what did you really think of him (besides his appearance) ?
But on the subject of apparances, he is big. And he's rangy if not lanky and has more of the look of a DE than a LB to me. I thought for a moment "this guy resembles Jack lambert", then I thought "stop dreaming dummy". Hey, can't I can hope ?Jack Lambert played at around 216 - 220 lbs fwiw. Cushing looks great and carries his 260 or so lbs very well so he passes the visual test is all I'm getting at. I don't think we can glean too much from non contact drills and I haven't seen him play at full speed yet so I'll sit on my opinion right now since I haven't fully formed it.

nunusguy
08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Jack Lambert played at around 216 - 220 lbs fwiw. Cushing looks great and carries his 260 or so lbs very well so he passes the visual test is all I'm getting at. I don't think we can glean too much from non contact drills and I haven't seen him play at full speed yet so I'll sit on my opinion right now since I haven't fully formed it.
Being of a reticent opinion is no fun, besides seeing the guy in the flesh and how he moves at his position in simulated or semi-contact situations is somewhat instructive. Hey there's a little hitting going on out there, though not what we'll see in KC a week from tonight. I'm looking forward to the
that first game, even if presesson.
Yea 250-260 lb backers were rare in Lamberts day, now they are common place. I suspect a Jack Lambert would find a way to play at 250 or so in todays NFL, if you know what I mean. But he and Cushing are of the same generic physique-type.

08-08-2009, 01:27 PM
so umm... there's been like two or three practices we haven't heard anything about. anybody?..

NitroGSXR
08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
so umm... there's been like two or three practices we haven't heard anything about. anybody?..

Practices are now closed to the public until Wednesday's Texans/Saints practice.

I don't expect to hear much until then unless it's an injury report.

ObsiWan
08-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Those weren't open practices so we have to settle for the HT.com vids (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3296&play_clip=y) / quotes / etc (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5439). or the various chronicle.com blurbs
...err, blogs...
...err, twits ...I mean tweets

Wolf
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
link will make you gag
but here is the best parts

Here are highlights of Gary Kubiak's Saturday morning news conference...

• Defensive players ran gassers after practice. ''Well, we have a deal where if they don't get enough turnovers in practice, they run a gasser,'' Kubiak said. ''If the offense has too many turnovers in practice, they run a gasser. Just trying to emphasize what we're doing.''

• Chris Brown and Ryan Moats are going to be the running backs splitting time with Steve Slaton unless something happens. Brown has a history of injuries, so his story has yet to be told. Kubiak doesn't tolerate players that can't stay on the field, and that's why Oregon rookie Jeremiah Johnson is gone and why Tennessee rookie Arian Foster needs to get on the field. ''This game is about staying on the field and doing it on the field, so you look right now and you look at Steve and Chris and Moats,'' Kubiak said. ''This new young man (Andre Hall) we brought in the last few days, he's done a good job. Arian has got to get in the training room and get his butt out here. He's a good football player but he's got to stay out here.''

• On Chris Brown staying on the field. ''Very promising and I think a lot of it has to do with his offseason,'' Kubiak said. ''He was as good of an offseason worker as we had.''

• On Andre Johnson. ''I'll tell you, we were talking, us coaches, the other night in an evaluation meeting, and it seems like we say this every year, but I'm not sure that he doesn't look as good as I've ever seen him look,'' Kubiak said. ''Just conditioning-wise, making every play. He's special. I tell y'all every time, you're watching something special watching this guy's career, because he's as good as I've been around.''

• On the O-line. ''I thought it was becoming a strength of our team last year,'' Kubiak said. ''When five guys play every snap like that, it brings a mentality to your football team, so that's been really special. They should only get better, but the problem right now is that they haven't been working together because Chester (Pitts) has basically not been a part of the offseason yet, or anything. Now, Chris (Myers) is missing time. Now that can make you better, because guys can step up, but they are missing some valuable continuity right now and hopefully we can get them back out there.''

• On DeMeco Ryans. ''DeMeco leads the team, not just the linebackers,'' Kubiak said. ''He's the captain around here, that's his nickname. No doubt, I told the players, every day after practice, I say to the young guys, 'You want to see why guys make the Pro Bowl, see what a pro is, you've been watching one.' And I gave them a few examples today, but he was the first one I went to.''

• On the first week of camp. ''We're always going to get guys nicked up, Kubiak said. ''Numbers-wise, we're probably about the same as we've been in the past at this point. The thing I've been impressed with is our conditioning. I think our veteran guys are in as good of condition as they've been since I've been here. Now we lock into playing, so we'll find out where we're at the end of each week.''

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/08/if_you_dont_lik_3.html

El Tejano
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
So I guess we have to wait til later to hear about anything from Today's practice right?

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
So I guess we have to wait til later to hear about anything from Today's practice right?

Yeah. And since it's not an open practice, we only have the official reports. :(

badboy
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Friday the 7th, I was listening to 610 radio and John McClain was asked about Travis Johnson. "They really like Travis" was the reply. I almost ran off the freeway. I am unsure why he is so well thought of.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Friday the 7th, I was listening to 610 radio and John McClain was asked about Travis Johnson. "They really like Travis" was the reply. I almost ran off the freeway. I am unsure why he is so well thought of.

I think he was doing what they were asking him to do.

The real problem is WHAT they were asking him to do. Hopefully, they're asking him to do different stuff now and hopefully he'll do what they ask him. I'm hoping they ask him to create havoc and destroy offenses.

But that's just me.

Vinny
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Arian has got to get in the training room and get his butt out here. He's a good football player but he's got to stay out here.'' you can't make the club from the tub.

badboy
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I think he was doing what they were asking him to do.

The real problem is WHAT they were asking him to do. Hopefully, they're asking him to do different stuff now and hopefully he'll do what they ask him. I'm hoping they ask him to create havoc and destroy offenses.

But that's just me.He can't get into the backfield let alone close to the QB. None of the DTs stopped the run. Uh, what was he being asked to do? He could kneel down, shoot marbles and have as big an impact.

HOU-TEX
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
It'd be nice to be able to wrap AJ in some sort of protective bubble wrap until the regular season. I hope Kubiak will limit his time in the preseason. I think we all know he's ready to go.

Brief scare: Everyone held their breath after the first passing play of practice when Andre Johnson ran into a large cart on the sidelines.

Johnson was running full speed, barely inbounds when he caught the pass, and his momentum carried him hard into the cart parked about 10 yards from the sideline. The cart hoists a platform that supports the camera man that films the practice.

Johnson jumped into the machine and appeared completely unharmed. -JORDAN GODWIN

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6567258.html

badboy
08-10-2009, 03:00 PM
It'd be nice to be able to wrap AJ in some sort of protective bubble wrap until the regular season. I hope Kubiak will limit his time in the preseason. I think we all know he's ready to go.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6567258.htmlDefensive backs everywhere just let out a loud groan in unison.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
He can't get into the backfield let alone close to the QB. None of the DTs stopped the run. Uh, what was he being asked to do? He could kneel down, shoot marbles and have as big an impact.

He was being asked to basically not penetrate. He was being asked to just stay at the line and pursue sideline to sideline. That was from an interview that Jethro Franklin had on 610 at one point last offseason when he said that TJ was good and doing what they were asking.

Like I said, they need to change what they were asking him and hopefully, they have.

Brisco_County
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Like I said, they need to change what they were asking him and hopefully, they have.

Either way, we won't be seeing the same Travis Johnson in 2009. He'll either be noticeably improved in the new defensive philosophy (and after hernia surgery), or he's gone.

Texan4Ever
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Either way, we won't be seeing the same Travis Johnson in 2009. He'll either be noticeably improved in the new defensive philosophy (and after hernia surgery), or he's gone.

Well, according to the Texans unoffical depth chart on there home page, they have DelJuan Robinson instead of TJ playing the other DT position. The way I see it, Mario, Okoye, Robinson, and Smith would make a hell of a defensive line.

GP
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
you can't make the club from the tub.

I've always wanted to play where you CAN make the club from the tub.

That'd be a superbadass job. :cowboy1:

Malloy
08-11-2009, 01:36 AM

Invent your own game then, the tub version of BASEketball! :)

ObsiWan
08-11-2009, 03:28 AM

Didn't Matt Leinhart get in trouble making a club in his tub?
:D

RipTraxx
08-11-2009, 05:58 PM
This might be mentioned already but this is a long thread. When healthy, everytime i see highlights from camp on the website Quinn is EVERYWHERE. Batting balls, forcing fumbles, so much to the point where i could almost care less if dunta comes back.

Good draft pick.

D-Frank
08-11-2009, 07:05 PM
This might be mentioned already but this is a long thread. When healthy, everytime i see highlights from camp on the website Quinn is EVERYWHERE. Batting balls, forcing fumbles, so much to the point where i could almost care less if dunta comes back.

Good draft pick.

along with his forced fumble and near interception on matt shaub, he had 3 deflections in the goaline today per 610 5 minutes ago. impressive, im excited:texflag:

TheRealJoker
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I wish the NFL would give us seven 4th round picks instead of a pick each round. We would already have a dynasty because we are money in the 4th round!!!

badboy
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, according to the Texans unoffical depth chart on there home page, they have DelJuan Robinson instead of TJ playing the other DT position. The way I see it, Mario, Okoye, Robinson, and Smith would make a hell of a defensive line.Cody got good write up in Chronicle. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6569405.html

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Don't we have an open practice with the Saints today? Is anyone there or anyone going or something?

I'm starved for info. :texflag:

bignasty
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
The next open practice is on the 19th and the 20th. Next Week

ObsiWan
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't we have an open practice with the Saints today? Is anyone there or anyone going or something?

The Saints/Texans practices are next week. Our guys are getting ready for the Sat.'s game with the Chefs.

HOU-TEX
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Considering it is you that asked this question, I'll just chalk it off as temporary brain flatulence. :)

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Considering it is you that asked this question, I'll just chalk it off as temporary brain flatulence. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that.

For some reason, I had my dates messed up.

I was wondering why we would be scrimmaging against the Saints this week, playing the Chiefs on Saturday, and then playing the Saints next Saturday. Didn't make sense. :wacko:

mexican_texan
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I listened to McCain on Friday and I wonder if he just throws random names out there when he's asked who's impressed him. He always goes with a 7th string DB none of us have heard of.

NitroGSXR
08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I listened to McCain on Friday and I wonder if he just throws random names out there when he's asked who's impressed him. He always goes with a 7th string DB none of us have heard of.

To be fair... McCain and Nolan have both looked really good especially considering where they were selected. They both have shown some playmaking ability here and there. McCain has some raw speed and... eh they're just a 6th and a 7th rounder but I like what I saw of them when I went to practice.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
To be fair... McCain and Nolan have both looked really good especially considering where they were selected. They both have shown some playmaking ability here and there. McCain has some raw speed and... eh they're just a 6th and a 7th rounder but I like what I saw of them when I went to practice.

I think Mexican Texan meant "McClain".

Dan B.
08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I remember reading this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60988) and getting more and more excited about Nolan by the post. I really hope he can step it up, as FS is a position we could stand to improve in IMO. I have nothing against Wilson, and I know many here are fans. I think he is a solid player, but not a spectacular one.

76Texan
08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I remember reading this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60988) and getting more and more excited about Nolan by the post. I really hope he can step it up, as FS is a position we could stand to improve in IMO. I have nothing against Wilson, and I know many here are fans. I think he is a solid player, but not a spectacular one.

Kubiak (on the progress of S Troy Nolan) "He's showing signs that he can play in this league. He's making too many mistakes at times, and if we can get that corrected, he's got the ability to play."

Exactly what I said when discussing the draft picks early on.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61596

NitroGSXR
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I think Mexican Texan meant "McClain".

I know exactly who he was referring to. John. I'm referring to Bryce McCain. Our 6th round selection at CB. I was referencing low draft picks. Just trying to throw out that McClain is not alone in thinking that our low picks (specifically Nolan but I threw McCain in the mix) look good.

mexican_texan
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Not McCain and Quin. Many people are impressed by them, though I haven't heard much about Nolan.

McClain, the writer, throws out names of guys who are long shots to make the PS.

drewmar74
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2009/08/12/17859195/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Every time I see someone wearing #37, I wish they'd retire it. That's DD/DW's number, dammit!

spurstexanstros
08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Did yall hear the ESPN 1250 the zone from SA was inside the bubble for training camp. They had alot of good interviews. I believe this was a first for Texans fans in San Antonio.

steelbtexan
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM

Every time I see someone wearing #37, I wish they'd retire it. That's DD/DW's number, dammit!

I would rather retire players from the Texans Super Bowl winning teams instead of players from Texans teams that have never had a winning record.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
FWIW, the Jets will be playing the Rams tonight on NFLN at 6 PM for those who might want to scout our week 1 opponent. Followed by the Broncos/Niners

I'll be watching as I finish my last two solar screens. :gun:

drewmar74
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I would rather retire players from the Texans Super Bowl winning teams instead of players from Texans teams that have never had a winning record.

Hell, DD was the offense there for a while. You can't deny his rather prominent place in early Texan history.

Fox
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Agreed, just doesn't look right without Domanick in the jersey.

drewmar74
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Agreed, just doesn't look right without Domanick in the jersey.

Thanks, at least I know I'm not the only one.

Didn't look good with Darius Walker in it and it doesn't look good with Arian Foster, either.

DD/DW is about the only player I feel that way about, FWIW.

mexican_texan
08-14-2009, 02:43 PM
The only Texans jersey I have is DD's. I bought it shortly before his knee injury. :(

I don't think I'll wear it again, and not just because I shed a few shirt sizes since I bought it. I think I'll hang it up in my room.

Vinny
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Retire DD's jersey? It's not like he was Gail Sayers or anything like that.

utahmark
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
he played like 3 full seasons for us. he was'nt even the same person after he changed his name.:thinking:

HOU-TEX
08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, did anyone go to the practice this morning? Any updates yet?

I couldn't go this morning due to work, but will likely go tomorrow.

TEXANS84
08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
790am reported that Mark Brunell (Brees not here due to personal matters) absolutely lit up the Texans secondary. Not good news.

jlam
08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, did anyone go to the practice this morning? Any updates yet?

I couldn't go this morning due to work, but will likely go tomorrow.

Same story for me, I'm gonna try to make it out tomorrow.

I've heard some reports out of the practice, but they obviously had a Saints-centric point of view. I'll sum up some of what I've read.

-Drew Brees wasn't there (mother's funeral services) so our passing O wasn't quite at full-bore

-Texan's passing O looked pretty good, especially in 7-on-7 drills with no DLine. This is pretty much always the case, but it's still good practice for the defenses.

-Saints running game was pretty good, but a large grain of salt to be taken since the practice wasn't full-contact. Bush was a full go today, which probably means he either won't be this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

-I heard Jacoby Jones had a long reception in the 2nd or 3rd team drills over Leigh Torrence.

-Everyone was very impressed with Andre Johnson. Not that I didn't already know, but people were reminded that he's for sure a top 5 receiver in the league. Jabari Greer was covering him, and Greer's been very good so far in camp, but Johnson was too good to hold him.

It's all second hand, so I'm sure some will come in with more first-hand accounts from a Houston standpoint.

jlam
08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
790am reported that Mark Brunell (Brees not here due to personal matters) absolutely lit up the Texans secondary. Not good news.

I'm actually pretty confident in Brunell as a short-term backup to Drew if for some reason Drew couldn't go. He's old as dirt, but pretty smart and can avoid pressure in the pocket fairly well.

I wouldn't worry too much about either team's defense getting lit up just yet. Not that both offenses aren't better because they likely are, but it was no contact which severely limits the D's aggressiveness and lets the qb's play a lot looser knowing there's no consequences for holding onto the ball.

Honoring Earl 34
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
John Lopez said Duane Brown played well vs Will Smith and Mario did well vs Jamall Brown .

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm actually pretty confident in Brunell as a short-term backup to Drew if for some reason Drew couldn't go. He's old as dirt, but pretty smart and can avoid pressure in the pocket fairly well.

I wouldn't worry too much about either team's defense getting lit up just yet. Not that both offenses aren't better because they likely are, but it was no contact which severely limits the D's aggressiveness and lets the qb's play a lot looser knowing there's no consequences for holding onto the ball.

Yeah, if you let Brunell get comfy, he'll pick you apart. He's still a good QB.

jlam
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Haven't read it yet, but just saw it go up from ESPN.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-11-111/Observations-on-Texans-D-line-versus-Saints.html

jlam
08-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's another report, this time from the Times-Picayune. Obviously it's Saints-centric but he discusses our weaknesses which could easily be interpreted as Houston strengths.

Also, I'm sure he knows it's "Cushing", but 'ole boy was probably in a hurry to get this posted up after practice.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/08/_an_overflow_crowd_was.html

OzzO
08-19-2009, 12:29 PM
/\ thanks for the link. From that, I'm hearing more and more "bad things" about this....

Saints highly regarded right guard Jahri Evans stopped Amobi Okoye twice, seemingly with ease.

flip side, more good things of this...
Frank Okam looked very strong against third-team center Digger Bujnoch, shifting him aside before heading to the quarterback on one snap.

jlam
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
/\ thanks for the link. From that, I'm hearing more and more "bad things" about this....

flip side, more good things of this...

Heh, I hear you. Jahri Evans is a damn good guard, though. There's a lot of talk of him actually being one of the best in the league, or at least one of the best that no one talks about. I think Okam can be a pretty nice space eater for you guys and he's someone I wanted the Saints to have a look at in the draft in rounds 3-5. I will say that as big of a fan as I am, though, I've never heard of Digger Bujnoch.

I'd be more excited about Williams handling Jamal Brown, although it was said that they split their reps. Williams victory sounded more impressive, though.

TEXANS84
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Williams ran right though Jammal Brown, leaving the starting left tackle flat on his back.

Awesome.

TheRealJoker
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I watched Williams vs Brown in one on ones today. The first play he ran Brown over with a bullrush and the second play he slipped trying to beat Brown around the edge. When the play ended Williams was angry about the slip taking away another win in one on one drills. I'm sure he's going to make Brown pay for it tomorrow and Saturday though!!!

In that same drill Tim Jamison looked good with a nice spin move to beat his blocker. Jamison is looking like a steal as a UDFA so far :)

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
In that same drill Tim Jamison looked good with a nice spin move to beat his blocker. Jamison is looking like a steal as a UDFA so far :)

That's my boy.

76Texan
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I watched Williams vs Brown in one on ones today. The first play he ran Brown over with a bullrush and the second play he slipped trying to beat Brown around the edge. When the play ended Williams was angry about the slip taking away another win in one on one drills. I'm sure he's going to make Brown pay for it tomorrow and Saturday though!!!

Yikes, I don't want the Saints to steal Jamison from us! :bat:

76Texan
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Heh, I hear you. Jahri Evans is a damn good guard, though. There's a lot of talk of him actually being one of the best in the league, or at least one of the best that no one talks about. I think Okam can be a pretty nice space eater for you guys and he's someone I wanted the Saints to have a look at in the draft in rounds 3-5. I will say that as big of a fan as I am, though, I've never heard of Digger Bujnoch.

I'd be more excited about Williams handling Jamal Brown, although it was said that they split their reps. Williams victory sounded more impressive, though.

Evans is a good player, I agree!

Topher
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Texans/Saints practice

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81200f8a/Texans-Saints-practice

b0ng
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Texans/Saints practice

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81200f8a/Texans-Saints-practice

God what a tease.

Lucky
08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
ESPN's AFC South blog (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-11-114/Focusing-on-offense-at-Texans-Saints-practice.html) on the afternoon Texans/Saints practice session:

I watched backup quarterback Orlovsky closely during his snaps in red zone seven-on-seven, and he was 5-for-5 passing. I understand the take-what's-available approach, but only one of the throws came close to the goal line. The ball started at the 15-yard line and gradually moved a bit closer. He hit tight end Joel Dreessen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8612) on the left side at about the 5. He checked down to the left to running back Andre Hall (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10411), evoking a colorful reaction from Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who marveled at "a behind the line throw in seven-on-seven." He hit Jones at about the 5. He zipped a ball to rookie tight end Anthony Hill (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12541) close to the goal line in the middle of the field. And after a long wait, he found Moats wheeling out of the backfield to the left flat.

So, for a team trying to get better at red zone production, the questions are: Is it good that Orlovsky was able to get the ball to targets, giving them a chance to make plays? Or should he be able to throw and complete at least a couple balls into the end zone in a drill that favors the offense?
I saw the same from Orlovsky in the KC game. He has a bad habit of throwing in front of the 1st down marker. It's early (and Kubiak has had a very short time to work with DanO) but...Orlovsky sort of reminds me of a former Texan QB whose name should not be mentioned in this forum. But like I said, it's early.

No Andre Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4461). They generally don't work him when they are inside on the turf.A good philosophy. No need to embarrass your guests. :)

mexican_texan
08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
I wish I could make it tomorrow. I just can't justify waking up at 4AM to catch a few buses and the metrorail.

YellerLotYeller
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
So the attachment in the email confirmation, that looks like a flyer are actually the tickets?

76Texan
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I saw the same from Orlovsky in the KC game. He has a bad habit of throwing in front of the 1st down marker. It's early (and Kubiak has had a very short time to work with DanO) but...Orlovsky sort of reminds me of a former Texan QB whose name should not be mentioned in this forum. But like I said, it's early.

I think it might be the other way around.
Sounds like Kubiak wants him to get the ball out of there quickly.

As I've said before, the one thing about DanO that I noticed when he was in Detroit is that sometimes he held on to the ball a bit too long, trying to make a play.

(In one of the game, I remembered the announcer praise DanO's ability to go through the progression pretty well for a young QB.)

As far as the first down marker is concerned, you just need to ask our secondary from Dunta to Reeves, Bennett... how DanO had them on their heels all day last time we played the Lions.
Too bad, Faggins isn't here any longer to answer the charge.

It was a good thing that our front 7 was able to put some pressure on early and never really allowed DanO to get into a rythm; otherwise our secondary would have looked really really bad!

76Texan
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I was late to the open practice and was standing with Gary and his mom most of the time in the back of the endzone so I couldn't see much.

Chris Brown continues to look good running the ball.
Foster is back and also looks good.

JJ took a punt return to the house.

Caldwell was in at Center with the second unit.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I just got back to the office and I must say, our defense kicked bootay today. There was constant pressure in the backfield. The DB's were tight. It was a sight for sore eyes.

There were fights every where! I was only watching defense today and there were two fights on our defensive side. D-Ryans and Shockey got into it pretty good. The other was on the far side of the field so I didn't get but the second number which was a 1. I think it was either Thompson or Harrison.

You just knew there was going to be fights when Daddy Gibbs was pacing back and forth through the warm up lines barking "this is our statement day"! Well, I think the D made a statement Mr Gibbs.

There were a couple more on the main field where the offense was so I didn't see those. I believe my boy Leach was in one of them.

We (defense) were most definitely the more aggressive. I think we only allowed 1 score during the redzone drill. McCain should've had a pick on the goaline, but it bounced out of his hands. Richardson almost had another in the endzone.

Buster Davis put a nice lick on one of their backup RB's

I'll post more as it comes to me, but that was a very fun practice to watch!

76Texan
08-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Watkins was in one, he got the other guy down; and then there were lots of bodies on the ground, LOL!

dtran04
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Bob McNair had an awesome quote regarding the fights. Maybe one of the best lines he's ever said.

“Well, at least our players kept their helmets on, so that showed some intelligence.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6580151.html

76Texan
08-20-2009, 11:46 AM
After practice, I saw Pitts in lineman drill with 71 Watkins, 74 Helm, and another guy.

He looks pretty good.
I think he can play this week, but maybe they will hold him out another game.

The young DEs were working on the spin move.
Barwin and Jamison look to be smoother than the others.

Tailgate
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Here is a link to a Saints board.... they have some fans there that were twittering updates quite a bit. Kind of a play by play if you will.

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117892&page=3

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
After practice, I saw Pitts in lineman drill with 71 Watkins, 74 Helm, and another guy.

He looks pretty good.
I think he can play this week, but maybe they will hold him out another game.

The young DEs were working on the spin move.
Barwin and Jamison look to be smoother than the others.

IIRC, Kubiak said Pitts might play in the Vikings game not this weekend.

Barwin is impressive at times around the edge. He definitely can't be a 3 down player at this time. He's shoved around pretty good along the LOS on run plays. He never quits though.

hookinreds
08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
ESPN's AFC South blog (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-11-114/Focusing-on-offense-at-Texans-Saints-practice.html) on the afternoon Texans/Saints practice session:

A good philosophy. No need to embarrass your guests. :)

I was on Bourbon Street and didn't get to see the game, but was he throwing short of the 1st down marker, or were the WRs cutting their routes off short of the marker?

infantrycak
08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Here is a link to a Saints board.... they have some fans there that were twittering updates quite a bit. Kind of a play by play if you will.

From their reports Troy Evans was involved in two of the fights.

Cjeremy635
08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Bob McNair had an awesome quote regarding the fights. Maybe one of the best lines he's ever said.

“Well, at least our players kept their helmets on, so that showed some intelligence.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6580151.html

That was a great article! I couldn't help but be fired up for the season (not that I needed another reason though) after reading that. I really like this team's mentality about "this is our house and no one is going to come in here and push us around!". Granted, that should always be the case, but I never really felt like that from our past teams. This is a good/great thing to see. I love the intensity this year's team has and I think it's going to breed success.

TheRealJoker
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I stayed in the bleachers today. There were two fights on the field I was watching and I heard at least one other on the other field. The first fight was Cliff Washburn vs Troy Evans and the second was Vonta Leach (with an assisted tackle from Moats) against ex Texan Troy Evans again. The one involving Washburn looked like a bench clearer because so many other players briefly joined the ruckus!!!

Cjeremy635
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM

I read through their thread and came away a little confused. I understand it's from their team's/fan's persepctive, so it's going to be moreso in their favor, but who's team was taking it to the other? From their fans, it made it out like it was their team taking it to ours and the Chron article made it out like it was the other way around. So, anyone who was there today care to give a neutral opinion on which team seemed to have the swagger?

djohn2oo8
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Watch the clip of the fights

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3322&play_clip=y

WesmanTexanfan
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Practice was fun this morning for sure, Mario did his best to avoid the mass of people, but I got to say what up to Andre and got an awesome pic with Demeaco, it was nice of him to do that.

The Shockey V Ryans fight was a good one, I love that Mcnair quote.

Studard has quite a mouth on him.

I was happy I got to boo the saints up close and personal when changing fields, punks. BOOOOO!

Should make for a decent pre season game on saturday.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I read through their thread and came away a little confused. I understand it's from their team's/fan's persepctive, so it's going to be moreso in their favor, but who's team was taking it to the other? From their fans, it made it out like it was their team taking it to ours and the Chron article made it out like it was the other way around. So, anyone who was there today care to give a neutral opinion on which team seemed to have the swagger?

I can't really speak for the offense due to defense being my primary objective, but I can't see how even the biased Saints fan can say their offense did much against our D. IMO, it wasn't even close. Especially in the redzone. Whether it translates to the field, who knows. But today was dominated by the Texans defense.

Cjeremy635
08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I can't really speak for the offense due to defense being my primary objective, but I can't see how even the biased Saints fan can say their offense did much against our D. IMO, it wasn't even close. Especially in the redzone. Whether it translates to the field, who knows. But today was dominated by the Texans defense.

Thanks for the update, that's promising to hear! :texflag:

Fox
08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Sounds like practice was awesome to watch today. I'm fired up for saturday!

P.S. Ryans, Adibi, and Diles all got on Shockey in a hurry on the video (around 1:07). Wouldn't want to be Shockey right there...

WesmanTexanfan
08-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Sounds like practice was awesome to watch today. I'm fired up for saturday!

P.S. Ryans, Adibi, and Diles all got on Shockey in a hurry on the video (around 1:07). Wouldn't want to be Shockey right there...

If only cushing could have been there...aaaaaaahh...(slips into day dream)

Cjeremy635
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know. It's hard to tell from the video, but it seemed like Shockey took down Ryans and had the upper hand on him. It seemed like he was the one with the swagger......hopefully it's just the camera angle and all. I would hope the Ryans would have the bulk to slam Shockey to the ground and manhandle him. I get that Shockey's a big guy though, but I don't want to see him whip one of our best LBs.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
If only cushing could have been their.....aaaaaaahh...(slips into day dream)

Their what?

TEXANS84
08-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Shockey throwing punch at Demeco.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/M_IMAGE.1223cc986ef.93.88.fa.d0.fc28a145.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I stayed in the bleachers today. There were two fights on the field I was watching and I heard at least one other on the other field. The first fight was Cliff Washburn vs Troy Evans and the second was Vonta Leach (with an assisted tackle from Moats) against ex Texan Troy Evans again. The one involving Washburn looked like a bench clearer because so many other players briefly joined the ruckus!!!

Under the present circumstances, you would hate to see additional
injuries occuring because of fights.

TEXANS84
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know. It's hard to tell from the video, but it seemed like Shockey took down Ryans and had the upper hand on him.

Watch www.abc13.com clip of the fight. Demeco had the upper hand and threw Shockey down.

Cjeremy635
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Watch www.abc13.com clip of the fight. Demeco had the upper hand and threw Shockey down.

That's what I'm talking about! That shows it a little different than the other camera angle and Ryans definately throws him face first into the turf. Nice......:shades:

dtran04
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Kinda funny how the other LBs quickly get in on the action and get some shots in.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Ha, a couple of nice quotes from D-Ryans and muh boy Leach.

D-Ryans:
(on telling a reporter yesterday that there wouldn't be any fighting) "What can I say? A different day, a different set of rules."

Leach:
(on getting even) "Yes, we got even. We are not going to be pushed around or bullied. Our offense is not going to be pushed around and our team is not going to be pushed around. Stuff like that is a part of my job so I take it and run with it."

Atta boy!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5484

Silver Oak
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Was that Travis Johnson wandering into that crowd without headgear on?

That's just dumb.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Under the present circumstances, you would hate to see additional
injuries occuring because of fights.

I was out there this morning and that's the first thought that crossed my mind when the scuffles broke out. It would be just our luck to get a starter injured in one of those scrums.

on the other hand, I have to admit, it was gratifying to see our guys stand up for each other :pirate:
when the time came.

infantrycak
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM

That's what I'm talking about! That shows it a little different than the other camera angle and Ryans definately throws him face first into the turf. Nice......:shades:

The Louisiana press version is even a little easier to see - Link (http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=390895)

DeMeco definitely initiates the steer wrestling take down.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
The Louisiana press version is even a little easier to see - Link (http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=390895)

DeMeco definitely initiates the steer wrestling take down.

Is it just me or was Shockey engulfed by Steel Blue jerseys before his boys decided to come to his aid...?
:thinking:

Hervoyel
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM

That's just dumb.

Yeah, that's just Travis.

infantrycak
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Is it just me or was Shockey engulfed by Steel Blue jerseys before his boys decided to come to his aid...?
:thinking:

No, the boys in blue showed up with much more vigor.

Interview from the opposite perspective - Link (http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=390876)

Possible sports hernia for Jamaal Brown. That could put a dent in their season.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Ha, a couple of nice quotes from D-Ryans and muh boy Leach.

D-Ryans:

Leach:

Atta boy!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5484

I think my man crush on Leach just got man crushier.

hookinreds
08-20-2009, 03:31 PM

That's just dumb.

Yup Mr. PUP being in the first wave of players getting in there. What DA. "I'm not down with PUP yeah you know me!"

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 03:41 PM

you should have seen him live. he got crunk when someone took a cheap shot at Moats.

and Leach lost his hat during the skirmish and never slowed down.
it happened right in front of the bleachers and the home folk went NUTS! They were yelling his name and, to his credit, he turned to us and yelled something at the crowd which got them even more into the "festivities".

Leach lined up at FB for the next play but, for some unknown reason, none of the Saints guys got in his way.
...go figure
:)

Best practice session I've seen yet.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Yessir! He's a beast

you should have seen him live. he got crunk when someone took a cheap shot at Moats.

and Leach lost his hat during the skirmish and never slowed down.
it happened right in front of the bleachers and the home folk went NUTS! They were yelling his name and, to his credit, he turned to us and yelled something at the crowd which got them even more into the "festivities".

Leach lined up at FB for the next play but, for some unknown reason, none of the Saints guys got in his way.
...go figure
:)

Best practice session I've seen yet.

I think I can agree to that. Although, from what I've read, it doesn't seem like the offense was as dominant as our D was today. I only focused on D so if somebody focused on offense feel free to give us your .02.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Yessir! He's a beast

I think I can agree to that. Although, from what I've read, it doesn't seem like the offense was as dominant as our D was today. I only focused on D so if somebody focused on offense feel free to give us your .02.

I'll give it a shot. Of course, I must confess that I watched practice thru my Steel Blue sunglasses so I might not have an unbiased viewpoint.

Our #1 offense moved the ball fairly well on their #1 D. I don't think they ever stopped our first team in the redzone. Once we started on about the 18 and Chris Brown ran up the middle for six on them in one play. Lots of oohs and aahs from the fans. Well our fans. the Saints fans (and their were BUNCHES of them) went "aw sh*t"!.

The second team, different story. Moats looked good - the kid is slippery - but Orlovsky is still staring down his receivers. I think twice he either dropped the snap or tripped backing away from center. When he did get the play off as designed he could hit his man.

Man, I though our DBs were suspect; when our QBs put the ball on the money it led to a big play. A.J. was catching everything that came his way. K.W. had a big play on a crossing pattern. The TEs seemed to be open over the middle. If the Saints DBs made a play it was largely because the pass was off the mark.

Saturday night should be fun.
We should kill them. At least when the 1's go at it.

drewmar74
08-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Based off of this: Possible sports hernia for Jamaal Brown. That could put a dent in their season.

and this:Saturday night should be fun.

It sounds like Mario could have a good quarter or so. If I'm a Saints fan I'm praying that Brees doesn't stay in long.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Based off of this:

and this:

It sounds like Mario could have a good quarter or so. If I'm a Saints fan I'm praying that Brees doesn't stay in long.

Yeah, I said the same thing about Mario's chances Saturday. Although, Brees has a knack for getting ball out very quick.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Umm....holding.....maybe?

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10730.jpg

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Joe Marciano thinking: Come on Kubiak! I've got to take a raging dump, man!

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10729.jpg

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Quick Quiz!
Find the real football player in this photo...
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10718.jpg

hint: it's NOT anyone in a white jersey

False Start
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow, what a practice. The Aints better watch out come Saturday, its gonna be on! :wild:

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Umm....holding.....maybe?

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10730.jpg

maybe... as is this.
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10714.jpg
Anyone else detecting a pattern?

HOU-TEX
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
maybe... as is this.
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10714.jpg
Anyone else detecting a pattern?

Actually, the wife and I saw the Saints 2nd (or 3rd) string RT literally bear hug Cody on his way to the ground, taking Cody with him. Cody just kind of got up looking like he was saying 'dude, wtf you big puh C'. It was funny

RazorOye
08-20-2009, 05:37 PM

having Brees with our #1s will hopefully be a bit more capable than they were with Brunell QB'ing the first team today.

as always, the Saints' D scares me (as a Saints fan of course)

and Brown's injury is just potentially frightening

GP
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm going to bring up Dunta Robinson into this thread, because the following quotes and attitude is the reason why you get onto the field in camp and preseason.

There's something a player loses when he's not with the team from the start, to the finish. In my opinion.

DeMeco just convinced me that he should get half of Dunta's money on top of whatever he (Demeco) originally wanted. Reward those who show up, and especially those who establish a tone of no tolerance for opposing teams' shenanigans.

-------------------------

QUOTES from the video clip of the skirmish between Shockey/DeMeco:

DeMeco: "I told my defensive guys, we not just gonna' let these guys come into our house and just think they can take over when they come here to Houston. This is our house."

Reporter: "Vonta said they were taking cheap shots, and that under no circumstances will they allow that."

DeMeco: "No. You can't allow that. We're out here, we're a family. We have to stick up for each other, and if somebody comin' into your house and taking cheap shots you have to protect yourself."

Reporter: "You think they [Saints] thought you were taking cheap shots?"

DeMeco: "No (chuckling). I don't care if they thought it or not."

BOOM goes the 'Meco.

GP
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Kubiak, in the video clip, says the following:

The 1st stringers will play the 1st quarter, and half of the 2nd quarter.

The 2's will play from halfway through the 2nd quarter to end of the 4th quarter.

The 3's will play the 4th quarter.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Puharsky's take on the Texans/Saints scrimmages yesterday (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-11-114/Focusing-on-offense-at-Texans-Saints-practice.html) and today (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-11-119/Fights-fill-final-Texans-Saints-joint-practice.html?post=true). Paul even posted a pix of the start of the Ryans/Shockey skirmish.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0820/nfl_a_ryans_480.jpg

There's short vid too.

I couldn't see our defense against their offense from where I was so I found this tidbit informative. ...and somewhat disturbing.

Glover Quin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12716) lost Lance Moore (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9400) as the receiver cut hard across the middle on one play. In red zone work he covered Marques Colston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9838) well but the throw wasn't anything Colston had a chance to go get. Quin had a very nice pass breakup in the back left corner of the end zone on a throw from Mark Brunell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=445) aimed for Rod Harper (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13149). Quin also got a nice jam on Devery Henderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5575) and stayed tight on him, but Henderson maintained focus and managed to make the catch despite the coverage. That was all in one-on-ones. Later, in a team period, Brees fit a nice mid-range pass between Quin and Dominique Barber (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11407) to Colston.

Brice McCain (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12690) either didn't work a lot in the one-on-one period or I had a hard time finding him in the crowd. I saw one play where he didn't stay particularly close to his receiver. Deltha O'Neal, the veteran who was brought in when injuries mounted, didn't look great to me.

ObsiWan
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Kubiak, in the video clip, says the following:

The 1st stringers will play the 1st quarter, and half of the 2nd quarter.

The 2's will play from halfway through the 2nd quarter to end of the 4th quarter.

The 3's will play the 4th quarter.

Won't the game be over at that point?
:D

mexican_texan
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM

That's just dumb.

It may have been a dumb move on his part, but he was just looking out for his guys.

Or looking to knee Shockey in the head.