PDA

View Full Version : Will you root for the fake Oilers/Titans (aka Bud Adams)?

stevn8r
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, the first football action will be the Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium on August 9th.
As we all know the Meatballs will be in the AFL Oilers colors.
The only Bills game I remember is what some call the "greatest comeback"!
I call it the most painful day EVER!

Do you think you can pull for them to beat the Bills based on a jersey and a old familiar name?

I think I am going to have to because I have too many years cheering for the powder blue.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, the first football action will be the Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium on August 9th.

Do you think you can pull for them to beat the Bills based on a jersey and a old familiar name?

I think I am going to have to because I have too many years cheering for the powder blue.

Why the heck would I ever cheer them on to win??!! As far as I'm concerned, the Oilers died when they left Houston.

I hope to see a 40 burger hung on them.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Why the heck would I ever cheer them on to win??!! As far as I'm concerned, the Oilers died when they left Houston.

I hope to see a 40 burger hung on them.
Hopefully all in the 2nd half. :kingkong:

m5kwatts
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
The Fake Oilers can lose by 40 and suffer significant injuries and I'd be more than happy
:texflag:

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Personally, I don't think this should even be in this forum. They have 0 to do with Houston football.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Personally, I don't think this should even be in this forum. They have 0 to do with Houston football.
Well, besides us sweeping them this year. :)

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Hell to the no. I will not root for the Titans/Titans (no mistake by the way).

Texan_Bill
07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Will you root ror the Oilers/Titans?

Yeah, I'll root for them...... right about the time I decide to wash my eyes out with bleach or drive a railroad spike through my testicles. :gun:

stevn8r
07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
The Fake Oilers can lose by 40 and suffer significant injuries and I'd be more than happy
:texflag:

now that you put it that way....damage for the season....HMMMM!

I dont care who wins due to it being pre-season and all...Regular season is a different story! I hope there is a curse that goes with the uniform!:mcnugget::voodoo:

:fans:

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
HELLS NO, I will never root for them.

Let's go Bills!!!

spurstexanstros
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I'll root for them...... right about the time I decide to wash my eyes out with bleach or drive a railroad spike through my testicles. :gun:

or agree that Blazing Arrow makes sense. ( you forgot that part Bill)

m5kwatts
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
It makes me happy to know their week 1 matchup is vs. the Super Bowl champs in Pittsburgh...now they'll know how it feels to start the season 0-1 and beat up

euro-Texan
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Amen! This should be the official position of all of us.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
hmmm..... railroad spikes......

:user:

TEXANS84
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Worst.
Poll.
Ever.

Carr Bombed
07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
:backsout: http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

Umm.....NO.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Worst.
Poll.
Ever.
I could make a worse one. :user:

Showtime100
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Worst.
Poll.
Ever.

Could not agree more. :foottap: :smiliedance:

badboy
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Why would you cheer for a team in your division unless you need that team to beat another and that will benefit Texans?

Showtime100
07-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Why would you cheer for a team in your division unless you need that team to beat another and that will benefit Texans?

Read the thread my friend.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm waiting for BA to show up and vote "Yes".

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM

He's probably busy "roughing up the suspect" to a shirtless VY photo.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
He's probably busy "roughing up the suspect" to a shirtless VY photo.
I bet the 'suspect' will vote 'yes' as well.

As we drag the thread straight downhill... :user:

Hookem Horns
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
This shows you that many fans root for the uniforms and not much else. There would be a lot of current Titans fans that would be fans of this team had we gotten the same deal as Cleveland (if the Texans had the name Oilers and retained the Oilers uniforms). A few of them have admitted it. I think Toronto even admitted that in one thread.

How many of you were rooting for the Tennessee Oilers when they looked like this? I wasn't. I was so po'ed at Bud for moving the team they instantly jumped the Cowboys as my most hated NFL team.

I will say though that the Oilers uniform is far better than that ugly thing the Titans have been sporting.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2005-05/17810791.jpg

Thorn
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I'll be cheering the Toronto Bills on to victory. :)

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I bet the 'suspect' will vote 'yes' as well.

As we drag the thread straight downhill... :user:

Which is where this thread belongs. As BA would say......"let's keep draggin".

Texan_Bill
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
This shows you that many fans root for the uniforms and not much else. There would be a lot of current Titans fans that would be fans of this team had we gotten the same deal as Cleveland (if the Texans had the name Oilers and retained the Oilers uniforms). A few of them have admitted it. I think Toronto even admitted that in one thread.

How many of you were rooting for the Tennessee Oilers when they looked like this? I wasn't. I was so po'ed at Bud for moving the team they instantly jumped the Cowboys as my most hated NFL team.

I will say though that the Oilers uniform is far better than that ugly thing the Titans have been sporting.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2005-05/17810791.jpg

Not me.... They died the minute the 18 wheelers hit I-10 or whichever route they took.

Hookem Horns
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I'll be cheering the Toronto Bills on to victory. :)

If the Bills officially move to Toronto who will Toronto (the Titans fan) be rooting for on Sundays? :thinking:

badboy
07-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Read the thread my friend.I did read the thread and do not understand your post. I said I would not root for them. I went on to identify the only reason I would root for another team in any situation.

ChrisG
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
not to high jack but the Canadian govt said something about blocking an move for the bills to Toronto b/c it would detract from the CFL . But that was over a year ago they could change their mind

brakos82
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
not to high jack but the Canadian govt said something about blocking an move for the bills to Toronto b/c it would detract from the CFL . But that was over a year ago they could change their mind
Don't they still wear coon-skin caps, smoke maple leaves, and say 'eh?'.

Showtime100
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I did read the thread and do not understand your post. I said I would not root for them. I went on to identify the only reason I would root for another team in any situation.

You're right. I've got to quit doing other things while I read this board. I'll take my own advice and re-read the thread myself. Sorry about that. :hides:

Texecutioner
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

There is no such thing as the Oilers. They stop existing a long long time ago when they moved to another city.

Rumor has it, their franchise is now called the Titans and I root for their demise every chance that I get.

Dan B.
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM

This sounds a lot more appealing than watching an Oilers/Bills matchup. Way too many bad memories. Honestly I don't know that I can watch that. It'll just piss me off seeing those derricks, and playing the Bills? It's like a cruel joke. Maybe it'll be a moot point and I'll be working.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I absolutely love this poll.

spurstexanstros
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the only way this poll could be even more lopsided , it would have to say Who do you prefer: " Texan Bill or Blazing Arrow". Even BA would vote for Texan Bill.

stevn8r
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I absolutely love this poll.

Indeed! very spirited!
I have a personal hatred for the tacks as it appears everyone else does too.:bat:
It will be very weird watching the game with those colors.
Maybe I can just make the t.v black and white and not look at the helmets...

Thorn
07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
As much as we all love to hate the Tacks, Tits, or whatever, there's no doubt for some of us there'll be a lump in our throats when we see the Oiler uniforms again. Doesn't mean I still won't root for the Bills, but this is going to be a bit of a shock to the system seeing the Oiler uniforms live again.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
As much as we all love to hate the Tacks, Tits, or whatever, there's no doubt for some of us there'll be a lump in our throats when we see the Oiler uniforms again. Doesn't mean I still won't root for the Bills, but this is going to be a bit of a shock to the system seeing the Oiler uniforms live again.

It might be nice to see the ole oil derrick again........but that feeling will be instantly overcome by hatred.

Jeff Fisher is the only thing worth a crap in that organization. The rest of them can.........just fall down.

JCTexan
07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
The question is messed up: "Would you root for the Titans/Oilers?" The Titans aren't the Oilers, and they shouldn't be allowed to wear the colors. The Oilers died when they left Houston, and they should stay dead. It makes no sense for Bud Adams to want to wear the powder blue colors to me, either. The fan base during those years is still in Houston, not in Tennessee. I never rooted for the Oilers, but if they were still in Houston I would have. I will never root for the Titans unless it benefits the Texans in some way.

Showtime100
07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to watch. Silly, but I'd rather not watch.

Hervoyel
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
This is no different to me than if the Titans were playing the Bills and wearing the Texans uniform.

It wouldn't mean they were the Texans. It would just mean that somebody screwed up and gave them the colors and logo of Houston's team. They're suiting up in gear they have no right to wear in my opinion. It just adds another reason to the already adequate list of reasons why I want to see them lose. I don't care if it's the HOF game or the Super Bowl if I see a Titan there I want him to go home disappointed. Now I know they aren't the Detroit Lions so 0-16 isn't likely (pity) but that's what I hope for every single week.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
This is no different to me than if the Titans were playing the Bills and wearing the Texans uniform.

It wouldn't mean they were the Texans. It would just mean that somebody screwed up and gave them the colors and logo of Houston's team. They're suiting up in gear they have no right to wear in my opinion. It just adds another reason to the already adequate list of reasons why I want to see them lose. I don't care if it's the HOF game or the Super Bowl if I see a Titan there I want him to go home disappointed. Now I know they aren't the Detroit Lions so 0-16 isn't likely (pity) but that's what I hope for every single week.

Nothing worse than a team that can't be satisfied enough with their own identity........................if it means more money. Guess Bud will be proudly donning a new blue hair toupe topped with a miniature derrick spewing his abundant scalp oil. :shades:

Silver Oak
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM

that's so funny, cause I was seeing it 33-0 and knowing someone's gonna ruin it.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
The Sparrow has voted. :gun:

Blazing Arrow
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Bill calls this a Thursday.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Damn Canadians.

badboy
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
You're right. I've got to quit doing other things while I read this board. I'll take my own advice and re-read the thread myself. Sorry about that. :hides:No problem. I am the king of typing and talking on the telephone. King of error that is!

FirstTexansFan
07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm intrigued by Brakos threat to create a worst poll.... proceed please :)

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Flaming Sparrow's significant "other" and his brother (Sparrow's quasi brother in law):

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/shawn1771/in-living-color-season-3--200505260.jpg

(Sparrow is behind the Camera).

gwallaia
07-28-2009, 11:28 AM
This throwback uniform deal is about one thing and one thing only.

Money.

It will sell more jerseys.

Corrosion
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I wouldnt root for Buds team after Bud's dead ... Buck Fud

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
You guys aren't going to be excited to see Young in Oilers gear?

TEXANRED
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM

What are you talking about? Steve Young retired years ago.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Actually I will. He'll fit right in throwing picks.

OzzO
07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Nope. But I do think Bud should start Vince at QB - just so he can "stick" it to Houston again.

.. or so he thought.

Thorn
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
So, which Oiler uniforms are they wearing? I'm guessing the old ones from the 60s.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Nope. But I do think Bud should start Vince at QB - just so he can "stick" it to Houston again.

.. or so he thought.

He will probably play against them being it is preseason. Probably the only thing from Texas that can hold a lead against the Bills.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
So, which Oiler uniforms are they wearing? I'm guessing the old ones from the 60s.

Yep and those have no sentimental value to me because the only time I ever saw them wearing those unis was the throwback year in 1994 with Bucky Richardson at the helm. In that season I think they only wore those once and I believe they were playing the Bills at the Dome.

https://www.ecoupons.com/show_image.php?n=http://www.fansedge.com%2FImages%2FProduct%2F35-69%2F35-69669-F.jpg

chicagotexan2
07-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I voted No only because I didn't see the Are effing crazy, there's not way in hell I'd ever root for that team again button.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
He will probably play against them being it is preseason. Probably the only thing from Texas that can hold a lead against the Bills.

Who knows, your team sure proved they couldn't.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Who knows, your team sure proved they couldn't.

Last time the Titans played the Bills in the playoffs we put one in the record book. Maybe you recall it ... The Music City Miracle? :smiliedance:

Silver Oak
07-28-2009, 02:07 PM

only since you disparaged our state will I remind you that Texas' team up North of here put a pretty good beating on the Bills in consecutive Super Bowls. Normally I wouldn't ever reference the Cowboys, but then again your NFL historical knowledge is probably limited.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Last time the Titans played the Bills in the playoffs we put one in the record book. Maybe you recall it ... The Music City Miracle? :smiliedance:

You mean the Immaculate Deception? Illegal forward pass on the kickoff return? Yeah I remember that.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 02:46 PM
You mean the Immaculate Deception? Illegal forward pass on the kickoff return? Yeah I remember that.

:ok: It's be reviewed several times and no matter how much you want to believe it was illegal no one in the league agrees with you.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Yup. That's why they included that play on the "10 Most Controversial Plays" on the NFLN.

gwallaia
07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
:ok: It's be reviewed several times and no matter how much you want to believe it was illegal no one in the league agrees with you.

That is neither here nor there. It all paved the way for the world's most hilarious sports blooper starring Kevin Dyson.:fishing:

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 03:03 PM
That is neither here nor there. It all paved the way for the world's most hilarious sports blooper starring Kevin Dyson.:fishing:

FYI ... that game is called a Super Bowl. Its a game played in late January for a trophy. I am sure one of these days you guys will know what it is and what not. Though all of you will be long gone and it will probably be played on Mars at that point.

gwallaia
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
FYI ... that game is called a Super Bowl. Its a game played in late January for a trophy. I am sure one of these days you guys will know what it is and what not. Though all of you will be long gone and it will probably be played on Mars at that point.

Thanks for the lesson Rookie.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Titans NFL trophy case. Hey, it looks like ours also however yours has a lot more dust on it.

http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/508/11/50811-OA1ww-s.jpg

Hervoyel
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Titans NFL trophy case. Hey, it looks like ours also however yours has a lot more dust on it.

Titans should STFU about the Super Bowl when trying to dismiss Texans fans. The only thing that matters about a Super Bowl is a win. No win at the end means that they've got sole claim to the distinction of being let down in the biggest game in team history.

Fortunately we missed out on that one.

Were I a Titans fan I'd just stick to scoreboard when dismissing Texans fans. They've owned us since we came into the league.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM

I literally started laughing uncontrollably. It was even funnier to me when I tried to imagine Pud's ugly grill.. I'm sure his toupee fell off and he spilled whatever he was drinking on his $ 5.00 suit.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the lesson Rookie.

Anytime :tiphat:

gwallaia
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Anytime :tiphat:

Time for another online chess match.

76Texan
07-28-2009, 03:45 PM

The Titans would have to do a bunch of Lindsay Lohans to fill that case! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 03:56 PM
The Titans would have to do a bunch of Lindsay Lohans to fill that case! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Trade fur??

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Actually it has one of these:

http://static.flickr.com/3007/2866266626_bfdc0d788d.jpg

And a couple of these:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2281282000_2eeaff77de.jpg

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Time for another online chess match.

Haha so you can woop me again?

JCTexan
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Wow. Are you seriously bragging about getting to the Super Bowl ten years ago? Maybe if your team won it you'd have something to brag about. :tiphat:

TexansSeminole
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Actually it has one of these:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2281282000_2eeaff77de.jpg

*reads The Houston Oilers won... under the ring*

:thinking:

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM

In case you were unaware they are the same team. That is why we are wearing throw backs this season. Check out my avatar for futher explanation.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Precisely.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
In case you were unaware they are the same team. That is why we are wearing throw backs this season. Check out my avatar for futher explanation.

Same franchise but NOT the same team.

I have a lesson for you:

A) Houston is in the state of Texas
B) The Houston Oilers played at Jeppesen Stadium, Rice Stadium and eventually moved into the Astrodome which all reside in the city of Houston.
C) The Titans are in Tennessee.

And BTW, being proud of the AFL Championships is akin to Cubbies fans celebrating their last world series championship. It happened way before even my time.

JCTexan
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM

So you're bragging about something that happened when they were called the Houston Oilers? That happened while they were in the city of Houston, and whom the people of Houston were fans of at the time? Makes sense.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
So you're bragging about something that happened when they were called the Houston Oilers? That happened while they were in the city of Houston, and whom the people of Houston were fans of at the time? Makes sense.

I was not bragging about anything I was just making the point that we do not have an empty trophy case while the Texans do. Get it?

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Wow!! 50 years of ineptness and futility. Thank you Bud for moving. I guess at the end of the day, I'm better off for it.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

True, the HOUSTON Oilers did win a championship. Actually they won the first 2 AFL championships, albeit it was in a start up league.

The Titans have 0 championships. If you want to call winning the AFC a championship then OK I guess. However division winners are also called champions yet that doesn't mean squat either unless you become the Super Bowl champions.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow!! 50 years of ineptness and futility. Thank you Bud for moving. I guess at the end of the day, I'm better off for it.

Come on now; you are a Texans fan. No winning seasons never even sniffed at a playoff spot. David Carr era ... yup way better off :rolleyes:

BTW ... Moo!

JCTexan
07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I was not bragging about anything I was just making the point that we do not have an empty trophy case while the Texans do. Get it?

Yeah, and that would be bragging... too bad it's almost fifty years ago since they won it, and it came while they were in the city of Houston.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Come on now; you are a Texans fan. No winning seasons never even sniffed at a playoff spot. David Carr era ... yup way better off :rolleyes:

BTW ... Moo!

:spit: Yeah, because 8 seasons is so close to 50 seasons.

The Texans organization is run 10x's better than what Pud ever did. In fact when Cris Dishman left the Oilers he let everyone know what a second rate organization Pud runs. He may have gotten the new stadium he wanted, but I seriously doubt that leopard changed his spots behind the scenes.

JCTexan
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM

BTW ... Moo!

No winning seasons in eight years? The Titans haven't done anything in those eight years that I would be proud of either.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM

BTW ... Moo!

BTW ...... Go brush your tooth!!!

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
:spit: Yeah, because 8 seasons is so close to 50 seasons.

The Texans organization is run 10x's better than what Pud ever did. In fact when Cris Dishman left the Oilers he let everyone know what a second rate organization Pud runs. He may have gotten the new stadium he wanted, but I seriously doubt that leopard changed his spots behind the scenes.

Those are actually liver spots.

And depending on when you want to start it the AFL or when they entered the NFL.

If you go AFL they had two AFL Championships and a playoff appearance and had hit that magical above .500 plateau 4 times.

If you go NFL they had still managed to make the playoffs and have a winning record.

How is that 10x better again? :thinking:

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
BTW ...... Go brush your tooth!!!

My sister is borrowing my toof brush ... we just got done with a hot makeout session. :woot2:

What no gay jokes Bill? You are slipping.

Hookem Horns
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
The record for the first 8 years of the Oilers/Titans in the NFL was 39-71-2 (from 1970-77 after the merger).

The record for the Texans first 8 years in the NFL was 40-72.

Actually very similar except for the fact that the Texans were an expansion team starting from scratch playing in a league of teams that have existed for decades with the exception of Jax, Cleveland, and Carolina. The Oilers had already existed 10 years and were primarily playing in a conference of teams either the same age or younger than them.

spurstexanstros
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
My sister is borrowing my toof brush ... we just got done with a hot makeout session. :woot2:

We have it....on record. He admits it. (So when someone decides to use it...say in the season....he cant whine about it because we have it..ha ha)

The truth its out. Now we know why they chose the name Titans...well other than its the longest word they know that rhymes with Tennesee.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2009, 05:21 PM

There's surprise. :rolleyes:

Those jokes all over the message board about you!!

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
There's surprise. :rolleyes:

Those jokes all over the message board about you!!

I am aware ... :foottap:

imatexan
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

Giant Tiger
07-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll pass... Just a preseaon game involving 2 detestable teams :thumbdown

TEXANRED
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Yep and those have no sentimental value to me because the only time I ever saw them wearing those unis was the throwback year in 1994 with Bucky Richardson at the helm. In that season I think they only wore those once and I believe they were playing the Bills at the Dome.

https://www.ecoupons.com/show_image.php?n=http://www.fansedge.com%2FImages%2FProduct%2F35-69%2F35-69669-F.jpg

I remember those days. You had a choice of Billy Joe Tolliver or Bucky Richardson.

Thats kinda like having to choose between Bush or Kerry.

I can still remember chanting for Bucky at the dome. Only to get my wish and watch him fumble the football and throw a pick.

Texan_Bill
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
I can still remember chanting for Bucky at the dome. Only to get my wish and watch him fumble the football and throw a pick.

:bat:

Second Honeymoon
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
What about Will 'der' Furrer? He wasn't any good either. We had a rough go of it at QB for the Oilers last few years here and by the time they address the position (by drafting Steve McNair), the Oilers are already moving to Memphis/Nashville. A bitter pill and then compounded with the Carr debacle, its been tough. Hopefully Matt can stay healthy and turn the tide.

As for the OT, I could never root for the fakeOilers/Titans. Not as long as Bud still owns the team and I think that guy is going to be around for more than a few more years. This year's Texans v. Titans matchups are going to be truly epic. Both teams are trending upwards but have some possible achilless heels at QB (schaub/collins health).

Double Barrel
07-31-2009, 04:07 PM
The Oilers are dead. A bunch of ICOU strapping that dead carcass to their bodies does not revive the Oilers. It just disrespects the memories with Slug's greed.

Hookem Horns
07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
What about Will 'der' Furrer? He wasn't any good either. We had a rough go of it at QB for the Oilers last few years here and by the time they address the position (by drafting Steve McNair), the Oilers are already moving to Memphis/Nashville. A bitter pill and then compounded with the Carr debacle, its been tough. Hopefully Matt can stay healthy and turn the tide.

Cody Carlson (whom I really liked) going down and out was mainly to blame for the QB issue. Everyone including myself thought he was going to be the heir to Moon. However the Oilers didn't address their ongoing O line issues and got him killed his first season as starter (actually it was the very first game which was against the Colts IIRC). After he went down we were left with Bucky and was Tolliver there yet? I just remember that dreadful 2-14 season with Bucky running for his life and being lost.

TEXANRED
08-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Cody Carlson (whom I really liked) going down and out was mainly to blame for the QB issue. Everyone including myself thought he was going to be the heir to Moon. However the Oilers didn't address their ongoing O line issues and got him killed his first season as starter (actually it was the very first game which was against the Colts IIRC). After he went down we were left with Bucky and was Tolliver there yet? I just remember that dreadful 2-14 season with Bucky running for his life and being lost.

If Carlson doesnt pull his groin (against New England?) then Moon probably would of never gotten his starting job back.

Commander Cody was just OK. He beat the Steelers so I give him props for that.

TexansBlood
08-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I will b cheering for what ever team my capper says to go with:francis:

TITAN1
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
It makes me happy to know their week 1 matchup is vs. the Super Bowl champs in Pittsburgh...now they'll know how it feels to start the season 0-1 and beat upAt least, that is what you hope happens. We owned them last year and match up pretty well with them. But, that is why they play the game.

DutchTexan
08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Just two words: hell no!

Vinny
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM

1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1984 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.

Hookem Horns
08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1994 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.

That's right. I should have remembered because I remember going to see the Oilers at the Vet in Philly on a MNF game and Tolliver started. I was wearing a Moon jersey and remember having fans asking me if the #1 stood for our only win we had so far that season. That was ugly.

Blazing Arrow
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1984 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.

The first year after Moon departed the Oilers had two rookie T if I remember correctly. Billy Joe was getting killed back there.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 04:57 PM
The first year after Moon departed the Oilers had two rookie T if I remember correctly. Billy Joe was getting killed back there.

Left tackle was Brad Hopkins in his first year and RT was David Williams in his 5th year. Note that both were first round draft selections. (BH -13th overall and DW 23rd overall).

Blazing Arrow
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Left tackle was Brad Hopkins in his first year and RT was David Williams in his 5th year. Note that both were first round draft selections. (BH -13th overall and DW 23rd overall).

I just remember him getting hammered every time he dropped back. Didn't get his nose broken that year too?

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I just remember him getting hammered every time he dropped back. Didn't get his nose broken that year too?

Probably. What's funny about that particular year is if you were to look at some of the talent that was on that team, you wouldn't have thought they would be a 2-14 team. Maybe 8-8 just because of the QB situation, but the defense still had some players. Also, the offense still had several players.

Offensive Starters
QB Billy Joe Tolliver
QB Cody Carlson
QB Bucky Richardson
RB Lorenzo White
RB Gary Brown
WR Ernest Givins
WR Haywood Jeffires
WR Webster Slaughter
TE Pat Carter
LT Brad Hopkins
LG John Flannery
C Bruce Matthews*
RG Kevin Donnalley
RG Erik Norgard
RT David W. Williams
Defensive Starters
LDE Kenny Davidson
LDT Ray Childress
RDT Glenn Montgomery
RDE Lamar Lathon
LLB Eddie Robinson
MLB Al Smith
RLB Michael Barrow
LCB Cris Dishman
RCB Darryll Lewis
SS Blaine Bishop
FS Marcus Robertson

Just goes to Show that they opened up a big can of quit.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM

We also had Erv Eatman, Kevin Donnalley, and Bruce Matthews....the line was fine. Looks like Blazing Arrow needs to bone up on his Oiler/Titan lore. Billy Joe was getting killed because he sucked, not because the line had issues.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
We also had Erv Eatman, Kevin Donnalley, and Bruce Matthews....the line was fine. Looks like Blazing Arrow needs to bone up on his Oiler/Titan lore. Billy Joe was getting killed because he sucked, not because the line had issues.

Just posted the roster from that year. The defense was still pretty much in tact.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
We also had Erv Eatman, Kevin Donnalley, and Bruce Matthews....the line was fine. Looks like Blazing Arrow needs to bone up on his Oiler/Titan lore. Billy Joe was getting killed because he sucked, not because the line had issues.I just did some research...Eatman didn't play here till 1995, but the other guys listed were pretty darn good football players.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I just did some research...Eatman didn't play here till 1995, but the other guys listed were pretty darn good football players.

In retrospect, it wasn' nearly as bad as I thought. I seemed to have remembered a bunch of injuries on that defense, but as it turned out, Blaine Bishop only missed 3 games, Glenn Montgomery 2 and Lamar Lathon, Eddie Robinson and Darryll Lewis each only missed 1. That's really not that many for a team that went 2-14.

Blazing Arrow
08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I just did some research...Eatman didn't play here till 1995, but the other guys listed were pretty darn good football players.

From the December 7th, 1994 Victoria Advocate

But Cody Carlson, Billy Joe Tolliver and Bucky Richardson have already been squashed 53 times.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19941207&id=qjMKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MUsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5287,1358377

I would say even with the names on that list the protection was pretty mediocre at best. And Carlson was the one with the broken nose. I knew it was one of the QB that season. He was the walking dead before the nose break then that just sealed it.

Vinny
08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
From the December 7th, 1994 Victoria Advocate

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19941207&id=qjMKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MUsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5287,1358377

I would say even with the names on that list the protection was pretty mediocre at best. And Carlson was the one with the broken nose. I knew it was one of the QB that season. He was the walking dead before the nose break then that just sealed it. Just because a QB gets sacked, it doesn't automatically mean it's the line's fault. Just use guys like Rob Johnson or David Carr as an example, you know, the incredible self sacking QB.

If you think Kevin Donally, Bruce Matthews, Bruce Hopkins and David Williams weren't top NFL linemen you don't know what you are talking about. Yeah, Carlson went on to have such a fabulous career with another team with a better line,....oh wait, he didn't 'cause he was another awful option. The team went out and signed Chris Chandler and then drafted Steve McNair the next season. For some mysterious reason the team improved from then on out.

Blazing Arrow
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
For some mysterious reason the team improved from then on out.

Yeah they moved to Tennessee :smiliedance:

Hookem Horns
08-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I remember in 93 the Oilers starting off 1-4 and Moon was getting sacked alot due to one of our top o linemen being hurt during that stretch. That same lineman (I can't remember who it was) got hurt again early in the Chiefs playoff game and Moon all of a sudden had no time and getting sacked a lot just like the 1-4 stretch to start the season.

I just remember thinking here we go again during that Chiefs game. I also remember that line looking pourous again the following season.

Hookem Horns
08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah they moved to Tennessee :smiliedance:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Titan-Heimlich.jpg

Blazing Arrow
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
can't deny that was a damn funny post ....

Hookem Horns
08-25-2009, 10:26 AM
can't deny that was a damn funny post ....

Yeah, I love to Photoshop stuff for laughs. I think I am most proud of my VY Hall of Fame bobble head bust work (As seen here (http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2402/vyhof2.jpg)). However if we had to give awards out for Photoshop pranks my vote would be for this work here by Hervoyel. It's simply a thread stopper. Who can reply to that? Standing O on this one.