PDA

View Full Version : Texans 16th on ESPN's Preseason Power Rankings

superdave532
07-27-2009, 02:03 PM
For whatever that's worth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2009&week=0

I'm glad people are getting excited about our upcoming season, I hope we just don't have a start of the season equivalent to the Raider's game last year (or to well, the start of last season) where they seemed to have been under the impression that they had proved something. Opinions?

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
This is about right where we should be, though I don't think the Bears and Vikings are that much better than us.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Meh, I might look at power rankings after the 1st quarter of the season.

spurstexanstros
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I am confused.. Will we still be able to get into the BCS championship game?

badboy
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes, but we have to beat the University of Houston to do so and they have a power back.

brakos82
07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Nope. We don't have a big national market apparently. :foottap:

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I disagree with a good bit of those teams in those respective spots.

Carr Bombed
The 16 spot is good.....back to back 8-8 seasons is, well average/middle of the pack and that's where they got us. Hopefully after the 1st quarter we'll have moved up though. (we better have if we want any shot in hell of reaching the playoffs.....3 or our first 4 games are at home.)

m5kwatts

Actually no, in fact we could beat the best team in our conference 45-35 and still not be eligible

imatexan
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
This is about right where we should be, though I don't think the Bears and Vikings are that much better than us.

Ya The Bears are not better than us, we proved that last year.

Carr Bombed
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Actually no, in fact we could beat the best team in our conference 45-35 and still not be eligible

Ouch...

barrett
07-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Hopefully after the 1st quarter we'll have moved up though. (we better have if we want any shot in hell of reaching the playoffs.....3 or our first 4 games are at home.)

sh!t I didn't realize that was a factor for getting voted into the playoffs. we need someone to really get out there and drum up some sympathy for us!

college football is a joke until that nonsense get eliminated.

Malloy
07-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Yes, but we have to beat the University of Houston to do so and they have a power back.

We're doomed!

NitroGSXR
07-28-2009, 01:30 AM
I really enjoy power rankings. I kind of wish we were lower so I could watch our rise.

I kind of have a small problem with San Diego being ranked as high simply because they play in a bad division. They struggled themselves being 8-8 in a piss poor division. Says something about them. I say overrated. Turner is killing the team.

GP
07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I always enjoy the annual preseason Power Ranking threads around here.

I love the people who get bent out of shape, violently disagreeing with our ranking. "There's no way in hell we're 18th!" LOL.

It really makes no difference to be quite honest. There's 3 or 4 really good teams, and everybody else is behind them.

DBCooper
07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I always enjoy the annual preseason Power Ranking threads around here.

I love the people who get bent out of shape, violently disagreeing with our ranking. "There's no way in hell we're 18th!" LOL.

It really makes no difference to be quite honest. There's 3 or 4 really good teams, and everybody else is behind them.

The only power ranking that matters is that the Steelers are Super Bowl Champions.

Thats the one I want.

Goldensilence
07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I really enjoy power rankings. I kind of wish we were lower so I could watch our rise.

I kind of have a small problem with San Diego being ranked as high simply because they play in a bad division. They struggled themselves being 8-8 in a piss poor division. Says something about them. I say overrated. Turner is killing the team.

AFC West is going to be topsy-turvy this year. Last year the Chargers made a late season run and had to have Denver fold, which they did, and they backdoored into the playoffs. I predict the team folds this year, might not have a terrible record but Turner is going to lose the team. Still can't believe that guy has managed to get multiple coaching gigs.

GP
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
The only power ranking that matters is that the Steelers are Super Bowl Champions.

Thats the one I want.

It should be a "sticky" thread: "Hey, Power Rankings don't mean crap!"

Every person required to read it, asked to refrain from going mental on what some website has us ranked at.

It's like two kids arguing over the baseball card stats of their favorite player.

"My guys better!"

"No he's not!"

"YES HE IS!"

"NO HE'S NOT!"

LOL.

DBCooper
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM
It should be a "sticky" thread: "Hey, Power Rankings don't mean crap!"

Every person required to read it, asked to refrain from going mental on what some website has us ranked at.

It's like two kids arguing over the baseball card stats of their favorite player.

"My guys better!"

"No he's not!"

"YES HE IS!"

"NO HE'S NOT!"

LOL.

My Dad can beat up your Dad!

Vinny
07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
19 (16) Saints 8-8-0 One of the NFL's oldest teams needs better luck with injuries to rebound and contend for the division crown. (Sando) The Saints are one of the NFL's "oldest" franchises? The Saints were an expansion team founded in 1967. ESPN should be leaders and knowledgeable about the NFL but they put this kind of drivel out there and later they probably have lots of marketing meetings about how they can't figure out why they aren't doing so well. I have a hint. Don't publish crap.

Thorn
07-29-2009, 11:08 AM
The Saints are one of the NFL's "oldest" franchises? The Saints were an expansion team founded in 1967. ESPN should be leaders and knowledgeable about the NFL but they put this kind of drivel out there and later they probably have lots of marketing meetings about how they can't figure out why they aren't doing so well. I have a hint. Don't publish crap.

I think they must have meant the average age of the players. It should be obvious to anyone the Saints are far from being an old team in terms of NFL time.

Vinny
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I think they must have meant the average age of the players. It should be obvious to anyone the Saints are far from being an old team in terms of NFL time.
as Emily Litella would say...never mind (http://www.hulu.com/watch/2364/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-emily-litella-on-violins-on-tv) :)

Thorn
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
as Emily Litella would say...never mind (http://www.hulu.com/watch/2364/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-emily-litella-on-violins-on-tv) :)

When i first read the article, what you said was the first thing that came to my mind also. I had to think about it for a minute before I realized what they meant.

SteveSlaton20
07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
It doesn't make a ****.

indiantexan
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
It doesn't make a ****.

You mean "It doesn't mean ****."

Historyhorn
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
You mean "It doesn't mean ****."

No. I think he means what he said. If I'm not mistaken, that's a quote from Bill Bradley when asked by the ref to call the pre-game coin toss against the Aggies in the 1960's.

Go Texans

Vinny
07-31-2009, 08:56 AM

heh, I ended up in Sando's mailbag. Some of the 49er crowd spotted my writing style (upscale drivel).

Vinny from Houston writes: In regards to your preseason NFL rankings, the Saints are one of the NFL's "oldest" franchises? The Saints were an expansion team founded in 1967. You guys should be leaders and knowledgeable about the NFL, but you put this kind of drivel out there and later you probably have lots of marketing meetings about how you can't figure out why you aren't doing so well.

Mike Sando: The "oldest" reference applied to the average age of the Saints' players. By that standard, the Saints have one of the oldest teams in the league. Sorry for any confusion.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-9-470/Mailbag--Thoughts-on-the-Crabtree-situation.html