PDA

View Full Version : Leach faces assault charge

Wolf
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
LUMBERTON Vonta Leach, a Rowland native who is an NFL football player, was arrested this week and charged with simple assault. The alleged incident occurred in a downtown Lumberton restaurant last month.

The charge is a misdemeanor. Leach was taken to the Robeson County jail and released on a written promise. He is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 18.

Leach, when contacted on Thursday by phone, said he could not comment.

A police report said that Leach, 27, of the 5000 block of White Oak Drive, was involved in a fight with Reggie Allen Locklear, 28, of East Seventh Street, at Blackwater Grille at 111 W. Third St., on June 28. That night Leach was holding an all-white dress event at the bar and restaurant.

According to the report, two women began fighting inside the restaurant at about 2 a.m. When Leach attempted to usher the women out of the business, Locklear said he asked Leach "who he was talking to" and Leach hit him in the face with a beer bottle and kicked him.

According to Leach's account, he told the women to leave and Locklear assaulted him and he defended himself.

http://www.robesonian.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Leach+faces+assault+charge%20&id=3026387-Leach+faces+assault+charge&instance=secondary_news_left_column

If this was posted earlier this week, my apologize and I missed it

m5kwatts
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
eek hope for no league suspension

Honoring Earl 34
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I hope the bottle was empty .

distant_texans_fan
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm guessing that'll mean that Boomer Grigsby stays on the team until this is sorted.

I'd hate to lose Vonta, but even worse, I'd hate to lose him and not have a full time back up.

DiehardChris
07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Son of a *****.

Goldensilence
07-24-2009, 05:48 PM
My inital thought somone on the football field filed charges on him after getting blasted by him.

I don't think a simple misdemeanor will cost him his job or the league will put down a suspension. It's not like he's been in the headlines prior to this. If they did I don't think it'd be more then one game.

Sounds like a case of he said, she said and I'm not sure how well that will hold up in court.

DiehardChris
07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
He's also got a history of charity work, and being a solid citizen.

Like you said, I don't think it's at all going to cost him his job... it's just going to bring a little negative press that will ultimately turn out to be no big deal.

distant_texans_fan
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
My inital thought somone on the football field filed charges on him after getting blasted by him.

I don't think a simple misdemeanor will cost him his job or the league will put down a suspension. It's not like he's been in the headlines prior to this. If they did I don't think it'd be more then one game.

Sounds like a case of he said, she said and I'm not sure how well that will hold up in court.

I think you are right and it will amount to nothing. (fingers crossed)

Drew_Smoke
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Hardcore partyin' in Lumberton...lol I am sure the Blackwater Grill is a swanky establishment.

Some guys do it up in NYC, Vegas, Atlantic City, ect.

Others..."Lumberton is the place you oughta be."

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Interesting review (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g49308-d1047752-r25127303-Black_Water_Grille-Lumberton_North_Carolina.html) of the eating establishment:

We had a party of 28 a few weeks ago have a high school reunion and we had it at BWG. I think there may of been 10 other people in the restaurant eating that SATURDAY night. You would of thought our service would of been out standing. My crab cakes were horrible (too much stuffing and little crab). No sign of a manager. Then we got the boot from our area and had to go the the bar area so their deejay could set up. This was kinda ok because we were almost done with our event but it caught us off guard.

Everything was fine at the bar until it filled up with drunks and yuo could not get a drink because their were only two bartenders serving 100.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
As a linebacker at East Carolina, Vonta Leach got his nickname "Big Bruiser" for delivering big hits on the defensive side of the ball. Leach made the switch to fullback his junior season and has been "bruising" linebackers ever since.

Packers.com (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/06/29/2/) recently sat down with the "Big Bruiser" to see how he would take on our random questions.

What is the most trouble you ever got in as a kid?
The most trouble I got in? (laughing) I used to beat up the other little kids.(still laughing) I'd always get in trouble for that.

Further investigation will probably reveal that Vonta took away his attacker's bottle and *****-slapped him with it. :D:D:D:D:D:D

ArlingtonTexan
07-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Hardcore partyin' in Lumberton...lol I am sure the Blackwater Grill is a swanky establishment.

Just for those who won't click on the link this is Lumberton, North Carolina not Texas.

Wolf
07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
I might have to fire up ole google earth and look at the gps street photos (even though the photos might be a year or so old)

CT CSTM
07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Further investigation will probably reveal that Vonta took away his attacker's bottle and *****-slapped him with it.

Wondered where he got the name,,,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/ToddKrueger/IMG_8327-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/ToddKrueger/IMG_8322.jpg

Norg
07-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Dont mess with a NFL Fullback ...... our u get a beat down

ubecool454
07-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing that'll mean that Boomer Grigsby stays on the team until this is sorted.

I'd hate to lose Vonta, but even worse, I'd hate to lose him and not have a full time back up.

Casey can play FB too.

ubecool454
07-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Lumberton is a nice peaceful clean town.."The home of the Lumbee Indian Tribe"

Vinny
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
ugh, the off season was about a week too long for VL

TimeKiller
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I thought that guy from Cincinati might be filing on that hole VL took 250 lbs. of dynamite to in getting Slaton in the endzone.

jppaul
07-26-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.robesonian.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Leach+faces+assault+charge%20&id=3026387-Leach+faces+assault+charge&instance=secondary_news_left_column

I am sure he asked who he was talking to in a very non-threatening or confrontational manner. It is pretty easy to predict how this went. Two girls are drinking and get fired up about something start fighting, Leach goes to break up the fight, says stop and go outside, the so called victim felt that his honor was infringed upon because the girl was his friend, or something else, and replied WHO ARE YOU TALKING TOO, while puffing himself up in a confrontational manner. Leach popped him in the mouth. A beer bottle usually doesn't do serious damage when used as a club, might be a cut or a bruise, etc.

Expect a civil suit to follow.

V3rm0nt3r
07-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Some guys do it up in NYC, Vegas, Atlantic City, VERMONT ect.

REPRESENT!!!

you know how tempers flare when your entire state only has one area code... or maybe you don't...

Wolf
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
He was scheduled to be in court Aug 18th, but I have not found any follow up yet

Jackie Chiles
08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
He was scheduled to be in court Aug 18th, but I have not found any follow up yet

The scuffle with Coleman today doesn't count as a follow up?:aggressive:

Texecutioner
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

He's a pirate. What do you expect? :pirate:

Rrrrrrrrrr!!:pirate: