PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good Pitts interview on 610

barrett
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Enjoyable. Talks about the old Texans vs. the New Texans. Some candor.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3894762

Showtime100
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks man. About half way through it now. Good stuff. :tiphat:

Vinny
07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I found out about this from my cool new Texans toolbar (http://www.houstontexans.com/toolbar/) with rss feeds. It's pretty snappy.

m5kwatts
07-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Cliff Notes anyone?

JDizzle
07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Cliff Notes anyone?

I only caught a snippet of the whole thing but I remember him being asked about Carr vs. Schaub. He pretty much said what was said here on TT back then, that he never got the sense that Carr loved the game or put the added effort in like Schaub does, like studying film, etc. He also brought up Schaub calling the whole team when he was traded, said that it's little things like that and intangibles that sets Schaub apart from Carr.

NitroGSXR
07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I'd also appreciate a quick summary or a link to transcripts. I don't believe that website does transcripts.

Specifically... what was he asked and what did he say about THIS season.

MojoMan
07-22-2009, 06:57 PM
It's pretty long. It might be an hour. I am about 80% through it, and it is not really a data dump sort of interview. More like a conversation.

A very enjoyable, excellent interview.

Thanks for posting this Barrett! Rep for you.

nero THE zero
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd also appreciate a quick summary or a link to transcripts. I don't believe that website does transcripts.

Specifically... what was he asked and what did he say about THIS season.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m7d22-Texans-Pitts-explains-it-all?cid=examiner-email

Can anyone explain the tactical difference between an 'over' and 'under' defense?
On Brian Cushing: "He's a machine," said Pitts. "He runs like the wind blows, he's strong as an ox, and he's a smart kid. He likes to play up on the line and we're going to run a lot more 'under' than 'over' this year so that will give him a chance to beat up on tight ends a little bit. Teams may have to shift their runs to weak side more since it will be tough to run over there."

Honoring Earl 34
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
What I got out of it .

Gibbs is a hardass who was impressed by the same 5 OL starting every game . Pitts really likes being good because of the beating they took ... everything was their fault , ESPN commercials ( sacks/draft) and so on . Likes Butler and Caldwell as young OL .

Leave Matt alone , Chester thinks if you want to call Matt out for not being tough , meet him ( Chester ) in the parking lot and see how tough you are . Got to love the attitude .

Young guys have to do it in a game before he declares them players . Didn't sound like he was convinced Babin was all that from day 1 .

He liked Carr but wished he was the team leader a QB needs to be . Matt brings that to the table .

ArlingtonTexan
07-22-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m7d22-Texans-Pitts-explains-it-all?cid=examiner-email

Can anyone explain the tactical difference between an 'over' and 'under' defense?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61213&highlight=defense

Kaiser Toro
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I liked Chester Pitts, but let's call him what he is, the First Texan.

Of course, that was a lame attempt of branding, but he is Mr. Texan in our franchise's early history, in my opinion. :specnatz:

barrett
07-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Totally badass description of the "under" at Battle Red Blog!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/23/958892/a-very-brief-introduction-the-4-3

I'm going to repost this in a new thread because I found it really REALLY informative!

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I liked Chester Pitts, but let's call him what he is, the First Texan.

Of course, that was a lame attempt of branding, but he is Mr. Texan in our franchise's early history, in my opinion. :specnatz:

The NFL network has a show about the 49ers team that one their first Super Bowl . One of the featured players was Randy Cross who stated near the end of the show that we went from the laughing stock of the league to SB champs in three years . He went on to say how they just couldn't believe they could get that good that fast . I hope Chester has the same fate , because like you said .... he's been through the thick and thin ... mostly thin .

nunusguy
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Chester is a charming, intelligent, funny guy who has been arguably
the unspoken, leading stalwart for our franchise during it's breif history. However this interview was just a bit too chatty for me. I'd rather hear them talk more football than have the frivolous chit-chat that went back and forth for 30 to 40 minutes. Too bad the interview wasn't on 1560 with Lance Z.
We'd of really got into the nuts & bolts of the game.

nero THE zero
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61213&highlight=defense

I've read that. I was looking for more of a comparison between the two.

nero THE zero
07-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Totally badass description of the "under" at Battle Red Blog!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/23/958892/a-very-brief-introduction-the-4-3

I'm going to repost this in a new thread because I found it really REALLY informative!

That is another great read on the under.

This just gets me all giddy:
Typically, the 2 best players on your 4-3 under need to be your weak side DE and your SAM linebacker. Conveniently, we have Mario Williams as our uncovered DE and have newly selected Brian Cushing to play SAM. The uncovered DE in the 4-3 under needs to be an absolute beast, being able to take advantage of 1-on-1 matchups in all pass rushing situations while also being the primary contain on outside runs to the weak side. We have a DE who had double digit sacks while being triple teamed - now he is going to see 1-on-1 a lot unless teams are willing to run 2 TE sets all the time. That makes me very happy.

The number one reason why more teams don't run a 4-3 Under is the difficulty in finding a player good enough to play the SAM. He needs to be big, strong, fast, and able to cover or rush the passer at any given time. He lines up on the outside edge of the TE at all times, and harasses him off the line, never allowing a free release, staying underneath on routes because you have your safety over the top. He also gets one-on-one matchups on the outside to pass rush. I'll take Brian Cushing versus Dallas Clark, Bo Scaife, or Marcedes Lewis any day of the weak. He needs to be a great run defender as well, because he CANNOT be reached, or there is a huge running lane to the strong side.

When you have two great rushers on the outside like that, you force the defense to decide to either chip Mario or Cushing with a RB, leaving Mario 1-on-1 with a tackle, or Cushing 1-on-1 with a TE - either way, it's win for the Texans.

badboy
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I only caught a snippet of the whole thing but I remember him being asked about Carr vs. Schaub. He pretty much said what was said here on TT back then, that he never got the sense that Carr loved the game or put the added effort in like Schaub does, like studying film, etc. He also brought up Schaub calling the whole team when he was traded, said that it's little things like that and intangibles that sets Schaub apart from Carr.Another thing that sets Schaub apart from Carr is Pitts is a better blocker now than he was first year with David.

Now that will lead to a few posts.:smiliedance:

Vinny
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Another thing that sets Schaub apart from Carr is Pitts is a better blocker now than he was first year with David.

Now that will lead to a few posts.:smiliedance:
yeah, just keep reminding us of how much of a Carrboy you were back in the day....as if we would forget.

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2009, 12:17 PM
yeah, just keep reminding us of how much of a Carrboy you were back in the day....as if we would forget.

The last of a dying breed , unless it's a relative of course .

badboy
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
yeah, just keep reminding us of how much of a Carrboy you were back in the day....as if we would forget.Yeah and you just keep on reminding that the only facts you consider on Carr is what suits your purpose.

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah and you just keep on reminding that the only facts you consider on Carr is what suits your purpose.

Hmm....it's amazing how the moment Carr was no longer taking snaps here, Pitts just happened to become a better blocker, but then again he wasn't the only one.

dalemurphy
07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah and you just keep on reminding that the only facts you consider on Carr is what suits your purpose.

As a fan who once favorably compared David Carr's first three seasons to Troy Aikman's first 3 seasons, there does come a point when one needs to face reality. We can argue about how much potential Carr had and how much of his regression was the fault of the organization, but in the end, this team is light years better now that he's gone... and, it is better partly because he is gone.

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
OMG ... a Carr fight in 2009 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpTDc4A0

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpTDc4A0

LOL, some people just won't let it go...

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Hmm....it's amazing how the moment Carr was no longer taking snaps here, Pitts just happened to become a better blocker, but then again he wasn't the only one.You don't think Schaub's somethink like 100 less sacks than DC had anything to do with making Pitts a better blocker? I am not trying to start a Carr thread and I do recognize his faults, it's just wrong when Vinny and others trash a player.

JDizzle
07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

But when will Coughlin let Carr call all the plays?

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
As a fan who once favorably compared David Carr's first three seasons to Troy Aikman's first 3 seasons, there does come a point when one needs to face reality. We can argue about how much potential Carr had and how much of his regression was the fault of the organization, but in the end, this team is light years better now that he's gone... and, it is better partly because he is gone.I agree but when others including Pitts or the interviewer brings up a topic comparing Schaub and Carr it opens everything up. Why didn't Pitts say,"David is gone and Schaub is our QB and I am very happy to block for him"?

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpTDc4A0A bit more accurate would have been to say "A Carr fight in the offseason of 2009 when there is actually nothing going on."

Showtime100
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
But when will Coughlin let Carr call all the plays?

Who cares, I'm just happy we have Tony Boselli! :texflag:

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
LOL, some people just won't let it go...You are of course referring to the interviewer who asked and the current Texan who did not re-direct the question?

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Who cares, I'm just happy we have Tony Boselli! :texflag:I thought Boselli was trade to Minnesota for Sage Rosenfels?

JDizzle
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Who cares, I'm just happy we have Tony Boselli! :texflag:

Oh no you di-in't.

Showtime100
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh no you di-in't.

I did, but the record will show he never did....lol. :smiliedance:

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
You are of course referring to the interviewer who asked and the current Texan who did not re-direct the question?

The way I took it was Pitts is getting a little pride in his game after years of being blamed for sacks .

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
You don't think Schaub's somethink like 100 less sacks than DC had anything to do with making Pitts a better blocker? I am not trying to start a Carr thread and I do recognize his faults, it's just wrong when Vinny and others trash a player.

No, I think Schuab's ability to get rid of the ball and having something called pocket awareness has alot to do with 100 less sacks.... Granted, Schaub does have a better overall line, but Pitts has pretty much always been a good consistent Olineman......those first couple of years he was just surrounded by crap, backed up by a even crappier QB who did his Oline no favors.

When Carr went to Carolina, any time he got playing time (preseason or regular season) his Oline mysteriously gave up sacks.

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
You are of course referring to the interviewer who asked and the current Texan who did not re-direct the question?

Pitts was obviously upset about being blamed for sacks, he made mentions of that way before that question was even asked. To Pitts' credit though, he didn't throw David under the bus, but he did confirm what MANY of us have thought for years.........David didn't have a love for the game of football and wasn't passionate about the game to be successful at it.

I'm begining to wonder what the guy cared more about.......football or his hairdo

badboy
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
The way I took it was Pitts is getting a little pride in his game after years of being blamed for sacks .Nah, Pitts has always been a very good player with tons of pride and confidence.

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
No, I think Schuab's ability to get rid of the ball and having something called pocket awareness has alot to do with 100 less sacks.... Granted, Schaub does have a better overall line, but Pitts has pretty much always been a good consistent Olineman......those first couple of years he was just surrounded by crap, backed up by a even crappier QB who did his Oline no favors.

When Carr went to Carolina, any time he got playing time (preseason or regular season) his Oline mysteriously gave up sacks.

I don't think Pitts trashed Carr as much as he praised Schaub . Schaub holds the ball to long looking down field trying to make a play . Carr held the ball waiting for somebody to be open by a mile .

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't think Pitts trashed Carr as much as he praised Schaub.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my above post.....Pitts could've really thrown him under the bus (I would've) but didn't.

Carr Bombed
07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Nah, Pitts has always been a very good player with tons of pride and confidence.

He has always been a good player......remember when he had to play tackle one year, did a damn good job at that too. Just because David Carr got sacked a ton, doesn't mean every player on that line sucked. There's a reason why Pitts has only missed 7 plays in his career despite multiple positional coaching changes........he's a pretty good player. David Carr apologists just try to knock the players who played around Carr in a attempt to excuse his crappy play. Carr had the physical tools to play the game, but lacked the mental makeup or the drive and work ethic to be a successful player in this league.

barrett
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I like rice crispy treats! But they make you fat.

Texsker
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Pitts was also interviewed yesterday on Movin' the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio. He had a lot of glowing praise for Duane Brown, saying that he'd be shocked if Brown didn't look like a totally different player this year.

He said Brown has been extremely dedicated in the off-season in terms of conditioning, watching film, improving his technique and learning the offense. He said that he expects Brown to play at a very high level this year after a mediocre rookie season. He was very excited about Brown's development and indicated that he's really turned the corner and elevated his game. Hope he's right.

Honoring Earl 34
07-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I like rice crispy treats! But they make you fat.

You know if you only eat half , it reduces the calories by 50% .

CT CSTM
07-24-2009, 10:38 PM
David didn't have a love for the game of football and wasn't passionate about the game to be successful at it.

I'm begining to wonder what the guy cared more about.......football or his hairdo

When the QB and face of the franchise was the first to leave and last to get to the stadium,,,the other players notice it and wonder why he's really even there. David Carr will be perfectly happy being a back up QB the rest of his career. He's made plenty of money,has a happy family and that is all he cares about...

Honoring Earl 34
07-25-2009, 12:09 AM
When the QB and face of the franchise was the first to leave and last to get to the stadium,,,the other players notice it and wonder why he's really even there. David Carr will be perfectly happy being a back up QB the rest of his career. He's made plenty of money,has a happy family and that is all he cares about...

I think the good NFL QBs are borderline OCD with the position . They tend to get married more toward 30 than 20 . Theywatch alot of film and want the ball for that last drive . They are leaders in more ways than one . Meaning they get alot of attention ( Tom Brady / Gieselle ) and as long as their good and win , they're set .

While there are exceptions to some things , the thing that they can't leave out is fire/passion .

ObsiWan
07-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I think the good NFL QBs are borderline OCD with the position . They tend to get married more toward 30 than 20 . Theywatch alot of film and want the ball for that last drive . They are leaders in more ways than one . Meaning they get alot of attention ( Tom Brady / Gieselle ) and as long as their good and win , they're set .

While there are exceptions to some things , the thing that they can't leave out is fire/passion .

that's why they can't let it go when their skills diminish [subliminal voice: Brett Favre]

painekiller
07-25-2009, 03:15 AM

This is off topic but :
Hey CT CSTM, make sure Charles Spencer knows the fans here are pulling for his success in the new league.

Thanks

Malloy
07-25-2009, 04:28 AM

Yeah, but those ARE the best facts! :)

Maddict5
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Hmm....it's amazing how the moment Carr was no longer taking snaps here, Pitts just happened to become a better blocker, but then again he wasn't the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqYhFa7mWA

randomly came across this yesterday. its a VY video but theres plenty of stupid carr sacks in there.. smh @ 1:31. pathetic

barrett
07-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Pitts was also interviewed yesterday on Movin' the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio. He had a lot of glowing praise for Duane Brown, saying that he'd be shocked if Brown didn't look like a totally different player this year.

He said Brown has been extremely dedicated in the off-season in terms of conditioning, watching film, improving his technique and learning the offense. He said that he expects Brown to play at a very high level this year after a mediocre rookie season. He was very excited about Brown's development and indicated that he's really turned the corner and elevated his game. Hope he's right.

Is there any way to get to hear that?

Texsker
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Is there any way to get to hear that?

Not likely. I don't know of anywhere where the shows are archived.