PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams Is Hoping to Heal Others, and His Image

Kaiser Toro
07-22-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/sports/football/22williams.html?hpw

snippet:
The latest milepost on what Ricky Williams calls his spiritual journey is an acupuncture and massage college tucked inside a strip mall, above a video store, next to sandwich and liquor shops.

Here, where the study hall is named after the philosopher Lao Tzu and one room contains some 300 Chinese herbs, Williams is a massage therapist in training, a running back who generally hopes to avoid contact on the football field now seeking his license to touch.

To Williams, 32, this represents another step toward a career in holistic healing and away from his self-described reputation as the poster child for marijuana. The process has been messy and public and shaped into an all-too-familiar narrative: superstar spits on the American dream, travels the world in search of enlightenment and returns reformed.

Only for Williams, on the verge of his ninth N.F.L. season, its not that simple. And never was.

I get defensive, he said. I like to think Im the same person. I just have more clarity.

Errick Lynne Williams said he first felt the effects of marijuana during his senior year at the University of Texas. He had smoked before, maybe a dozen times at parties, but said he never felt high until one night after a breakup, when his mild depression lifted in a cloud of smoke.

He had no idea then that marijuana would eventually define him in ways he says are neither accurate nor fair.

OzzO
07-22-2009, 01:32 PM
....I just have more clarity

So, that's what the kids are calling it these days.

GP
07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Well, I'm sure there are a lot of differing opinions on this board about the use of marijuana, as well as forms of "clarity" or ways of understanding.

So I'll just say that it's good that he's turning away from recreational drug use and subsequently toward something that is more inline with furthering himself in a better way.

If he's helping others, and he has a purpose, then fine by me.

I'm all about a nice massage, but they can leave the pins and needles in the tray thankyaverymuch.

Second Honeymoon
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Ricky has always danced to the beat of a different drum so this doesnt surprise me. As a fellow recreational pot smoker, I didn't see much wrong with him smoking grass until it was made public by the NFL's own substance abuse policy. The only negative of Ricky smoking grass is that it exposed kids to weed being used by a possible hero/role model. RW getting high doesn't hurt anyone but him being outed as a potsmoker isn't good for kids.

Luckily for everyone involved, Ricky has taken the 'high' road on this one and stopped getting high. Kudos to him. He needed to, not so much for Ricky the person but for Ricky the football player and with his child support situation and his horrible rookie contract (negotiated by the great Master P) he needed to make money and carrying the ball against the Jets pays more than working at an acupuncture clinic.

Goldensilence
07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Sometimes I can't help but be amazed at the way Ricky has been blasted one way or another. It's not like the guy has been Lawrence Phillips. It's not like he was caught with coke and a hooker(Micheal Irvin). It's not like he even ran someoneover while DUI.

I wish he would've gotten treatment for social anxiety a lot sooner and maybe his raod would've been different. He showed his potential in Miami but I think those two years he had the most carries in the NFL if i remember right. Didn't help that he was in prett close contact with Earl and saw how the way he played did his body in. The only thing I'd blast Ricky for is dude....seriously there's a ton of concealers and stuff on the market to beat the tests!

Barring a career that bordered on Terrell Davis' prime there was no way he was going to live up to what Ditka gave to move up and get him. That's his ultimate doom.

Hardcore Texan
07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Sometimes I can't help but be amazed at the way Ricky has been blasted one way or another. It's not like the guy has been Lawrence Phillips. It's not like he was caught with coke and a hooker(Micheal Irvin). It's not like he even ran someoneover while DUI.

I wish he would've gotten treatment for social anxiety a lot sooner and maybe his raod would've been different. He showed his potential in Miami but I think those two years he had the most carries in the NFL if i remember right. Didn't help that he was in prett close contact with Earl and saw how the way he played did his body in. The only thing I'd blast Ricky for is dude....seriously there's a ton of concealers and stuff on the market to beat the tests!

Barring a career that bordered on Terrell Davis' prime there was no way he was going to live up to what Ditka gave to move up and get him. That's his ultimate doom.

Great point.

On a side note, my best friend here in the Austin area dated his mom in '08 for a few months. She took him to a couple of UT football games, they got the royal treatment too, watched the game in a suite, tour of the facility including Mack Brown's office, touchdown club (or whatever it's called), etc.

GP
07-24-2009, 12:33 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant by my post.

In the grand scheme of things, the only thing he's guilty of is not living up to the potential that fans had him pegged for.

You made some great points.