PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY idea....with poll...new coach

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
shanahan wants back as head coach in 2010 heres link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81158951&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

would we be willing to take a chance

he won 2 superbowls

reason im asking is his son works with us

he would make a verry good coach i think....he worked with a good qp good wr maby he will take us 2 playoffs

untell then lets wait and see this season

the scheme is allmost the same

if you ask me if we dont get play offs we try him

heck we got half the team over here anyways

brakos82
07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I'd rather have Kyle over Mike personally.

But that's just me. :thinking:

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 06:59 PM
good idea....

i just like the guy same schem so maby playoffs faster never no tho

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
if you ask me if kubes does not make playoffs this year hes gone

i say we snag if we can

Texecutioner
07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
If we don't go 10-6 this season, I hope we do find a new coach. 4 years is long enough to get us that far in my opinion.

But man o man, I hear a lot of jokes coming here shortly. Lol! :jogger:

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
If we don't go 10-6 this season, I hope we do find a new coach. 4 years is long enough to get us that far in my opinion.

But man o man, I hear a lot of jokes coming here shortly. Lol! :jogger:

sadly so do i =[

m5kwatts
07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd rather have Gary over Kyle or Mike

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 07:08 PM

just curius

y?????????????????

gary been here 4 years with some of the best players but no playoffs?

i say we need a change!!!!!!!!

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
i hope we do beter with a new coach

Texecutioner
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM
i hope we do beter with a new coach

We have to at least see how the Texans do this season under Kubiak. He might get them into the post season to like a 12-4 record. You never know. He needs at least one more season to see where he can take this team.

m5kwatts
07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!

Well he is the only one of those three whose an employed NFL head coach at the moment for starters. Mike senior was fired because he was supposedly out of touch with today's NFL players. If there's one thing we can say about Kubiak for sure its that his players are behind him and support him fully and would go to bat for him. You can't say that about half the league's head coaches.

I think Kyle is too young for it at this point but he's getting there faster than I thought possible. I look forward to seeing him call the plays this year, although all his calls will be under the Kubiak microscope so Kyle shouldn't get full credit if we improve in the red zone and cut down on turnovers this year. Selfishly, I would like him as the OC for as long as possible and he could be gone as soon as next offseason.

Old School
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!

I voted no thanks. I like the way Kubiak and Smith work together. Besides, the bolded part of your statement is, in my opinion, just not true.

Goldensilence
07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
IMO I think unless Gary Kubiak visibly losses the team and/or they spiral into a 4-5 win season he'll be here next year better or worse.

He's got the staff he wants and he's got some good pieces in place to make a playoff run this year.

Don't care where Shanahan lands, long as he doesn't replace Del Rio in Jax.

The Pencil Neck
07-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I've said it before, I don't think Kubiak gets fired unless the team melts down. And I think this is the best team we've ever fielded.

Second Honeymoon
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM

might I ask why? why? we are talking about a HC who has won 2 Super Bowls and led teams to the playoffs. Gary has done ZILCH as a head coach.

I like Gary but blind homerism like this makes me question some of our fans' expectations, grasp on reality, and objectivity.

I support my team but to act like Gary is a better and more qualified HC than Shanahan is ridiculous. I hope you are an Aggie because that is about the only scenario I could see someone favoring Kubiak over Daddy Shanny.

Carr Bombed
07-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Besides, the bolded part of your statement is, in my opinion, just not true.

I know, that part cracked me up as well.

Carr Bombed
07-20-2009, 08:02 PM
might I ask why? why? we are talking about a HC who has won 2 Super Bowls and led teams to the playoffs. Gary has done ZILCH as a head coach.

I like Gary but blind homerism like this makes me question some of our fans' expectations, grasp on reality, and objectivity.

I support my team but to act like Gary is a better and more qualified HC than Shanahan is ridiculous. I hope you are an Aggie because that is about the only scenario I could see someone favoring Kubiak over Daddy Shanny.

Well, while Shanahan is a proven coach, on the flip side one can argue he didn't do crap after Kubiak left his staff (not to mention Elway), infact that's when his success and playoff appearances fell off and ultimately he ended up getting fired.

awtysst
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Lets be honest here. What exactly did Mike Shanahan accomplish after John Elway retired?

Elway retired after the 1998 season and Shanahan was fired after the 2008 season.

Here is is record over that 10 year period:
99: 6-10, miss playoffs
00: 11-5, lose to Baltimore in AFC wildcard
01: 8-8, miss playoffs
02: 9-7, miss playoffs
03: 10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
04:10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
05: 13-3, lose to Steelers in AFC Championship
06: 9-7, miss playoffs
07: 7-9, miss playoffs
08: 8-8, miss playoffs

So, in 10 years he made the playoffs 4 times and went out of the first round 3 times. And you know who left the Broncos after the 2005 season...

You can make the case that for the early part of the decade, there was little real competition in the AFC West. While the Raiders did make 1 superbowl, before and after that they were pretty much door mats. The Chiefs have been basically one dimensional for most of the decade. While San Diego has gotten better, it was only after 2004 that they began to step up. Even so, all Denver had to worry about was SD.

In contrast all Htown has had to contend with is a tough Indianapolis team and either a tough Jax or Tennessee. Htown has never been the second best team in the division: only 3rd or 4th.

While it is great to get to the playoffs, Shanahan gets far too much dap for someone who really benefited from one of the best QBs in history, a stout D, and an amazing Offensive Coordinator. He is one of the most overrated coaches in history.

dalemurphy
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Simply because Mike Shanahan has better credentials is no reason to assume he'd be better for this team today. The guy won two superbowls almost 15 years ago with John Elway as his QB, Kubes as OC, and Alex Gibb as OL coach. If this team fails under Kubiak, I don't think Shanahan is the right voice to repair it. He certainly didn't prove to be able to fix an ailing defense in Denver the past 5 seasons. Basically, he would come in here and preach nearly identical philosophies to a group of guys that would have heard it and experienced it fail for 4 years. I just don't see how that dynamic would be an answer to another mediocre or poor season.

Carr Bombed
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Lets be honest here. What exactly did Mike Shanahan accomplish after John Elway retired?

Elway retired after the 1998 season and Shanahan was fired after the 2008 season.

So, in 10 years he made the playoffs 4 times and went out of the first round 3 times. And you know who left the Broncos after the 2005 season...

You can make the case that for the early part of the decade, there was little real competition in the AFC West. While the Raiders did make 1 superbowl, before and after that they were pretty much door mats. The Chiefs have been basically one dimensional for most of the decade. While San Diego has gotten better, it was only after 2004 that they began to step up. Even so, all Denver had to worry about was SD.

In contrast all Htown has had to contend with is a tough Indianapolis team and either a tough Jax or Tennessee. Htown has never been the second best team in the division: only 3rd or 4th.

While it is great to get to the playoffs, Shanahan gets far too much dap for someone who really benefited from one of the best QBs in history, a stout D, and an amazing Offensive Coordinator. He is one of the most overrated coaches in history.

Rep...

Everybody just sees a name and goes goo goo. Now if we struggle and Cowher becomes available, I'll take that guy.

bckey
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Kubiak will be here next year barring a meltdown as others have said. He is a good coach and I believe the Texans will have their first winning season this year. Kubiak has brought this team a long way from the Capers/Casserly era.

Thorn
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
We don't need a new head coach, we have a good one now.

cland
07-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Absolutely not. The 'yes' votes should understand that this is (Kubiak/Gibbs vs. Shanahan). Gibbs isn't a Shanahan fan any longer after he mysteriously axed his son mid-season, indicating his son gave away the Denver game plan to his dad.

Lucky
07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Basically, he would come in here and preach nearly identical philosophies to a group of guys that would have heard it and experienced it fail for 4 years.
Are you suggesting that the Texans have failed for the past 3 seasons? Keep that up dale, and you'll have your Sunshine Club membership revoked.

CRAZY idea....
You had me at "crazy".

m5kwatts
07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Read what I said earlier, Mike was fired because it was thought that he was out of touch with today's NFL player, and players tuned him out which led to their horrible collapse and missing the playoffs. Kubiak has the respect and backing of his players and Mike lost that towards the end of his tenure, which led to his firing.

Parcells has Super Bowl rings and for the same reasons as Shanny, he's not coaching anymore.

HouSportsWriter
07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
who else is guna coach next year

ill add the 1s i find

gary
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I am tired of hearing we need a new coach we don't Gary is the guy I am ready for this team to start winning some damn football games and make the damn playoffs once and for all. Lets get Gary brand new long term contract.

swtbound07
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
who else is guna coach next year

ill add the 1s i find

gary kubiak is all we need to coach. He's building a damned fine team. Best we've ever fielded. I think you need to chill out and be greatful for what we have.

dalemurphy
07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Are you suggesting that the Texans have failed for the past 3 seasons? Keep that up dale, and you'll have your Sunshine Club membership revoked.

You had me at "crazy".

If the team plays poorly this year, I will definitely see the past three seasons in a different light than I do now.

Hervoyel
07-21-2009, 12:37 AM
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!

Gary got here in 2006 and nobody in their right mind was talking about how many of the best players he had on the roster. David Carr was here for a year so throw that one (4 game improvement over the previous year by the way) out the window.

2007 brings in a new QB (who gets hurt) and some more roster turnover. Still we get a 2 game improvement over 2006. I'm sorry but I think 2007 was a success even at .500

2008 nets us another 8-8 and we're on damned Rosencopter away from 9-7.

1. That's three years not four.
2. The talent has improved every season he's been here but he started from scratch.
3. Well, I don't have a "3" but luckily I don't need one. 2009 we win 10-11 games and this topic is dead.

HouSportsWriter
07-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Gary got here in 2006 and nobody in their right mind was talking about how many of the best players he had on the roster. David Carr was here for a year so throw that one (4 game improvement over the previous year by the way) out the window.

2007 brings in a new QB (who gets hurt) and some more roster turnover. Still we get a 2 game improvement over 2006. I'm sorry but I think 2007 was a success even at .500

2. The talent has improved every season he's been here but he started from scratch.
3. Well, I don't have a "3" but luckily I don't need one. 2009 we win 10-11 games and this topic is dead.

so im not the only 1 who miss spells =p

Carr Bombed
07-21-2009, 12:57 AM
What???

painekiller
07-21-2009, 01:15 AM
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!

Really, you do not notice the change in the team that went 8-8 this last season and the one that went 8-8 the season before?

Kubiak is a players coach, but he pushes them, inspires them to be more than they currently are. Kubiak is the correct guy for the job.

I say next off season is the 1st time this team is drafting for quality depth, instead of looking for street FA to improve itself. Kubiak inherited one of the worse teams in the history of the NFL. They had no talent, and a GM with no clue about talent. Plus you are in a division with Colts, Pats, Titans, Steelers, Ravens and Chargers. These teams have all been stable in the front office, and for the most part with the HCs, plus they seem to win most years. You have to have a special team to get past these teams.

Had the Texans been in the NFC south or West we would have been in the playoff already, a few times IMO.

Now if they fire Kubiak this next off season then McNair is setting this team back again. The plan is in place and it is working. We are finally starting to mature as a team with core talent.

Vinny
07-21-2009, 01:20 AM

so im not the only 1 who miss spells =p this post reminds me of thunderchicken from the original message boards way back in 2002. Keep givin em hell - even if we have to pause and figure out wth you are talking about sometimes.

Hook'er
07-21-2009, 06:14 AM
gary kubiak is all we need to coach. He's building a damned fine team. Best we've ever fielded. I think you need to chill out and be greatful for what we have.

swtbound, You took the words right out of my mouth!:texflag:

DocBar
07-21-2009, 06:16 AM
I voted no and am replying w/o reading 90% of the posts. I apologize if I'm repeating someone else.
I don't have a problem keeping Kubiak a couple more years. We've seen the improvement on offense and SHOULD see dramatic improvement on defense. We all knew that Kubes lacked HC experience and the only way to get that experience is by actually being a HC.I much prefer the Steelers method of keeping coaches long term versus the Redskins or Cowboys method of changing coaching staffs/systems every few years. The Steelers, as much as I hate them, keep coaches through good and bad and end up winning far more often than not. The Cowboys/Redskins always seem like they're trying to catch lightening in a bottle and end up losing more often than not. Call me crazy, but I really like the direction we're heading and I think Kubiak is a big, big part of that. Neither Rome nor the Steeler empires were built on a 4 year plan.

Giant Tiger
07-21-2009, 08:46 AM

You got me thinking of Mike Ditka, too. He had a great year, but that's because he had good players. What did he do after that?

Thorn
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I voted no and am replying w/o reading 90% of the posts. I apologize if I'm repeating someone else.
I don't have a problem keeping Kubiak a couple more years. We've seen the improvement on offense and SHOULD see dramatic improvement on defense. We all knew that Kubes lacked HC experience and the only way to get that experience is by actually being a HC. I much prefer the Steelers method of keeping coaches long term versus the Redskins or Cowboys method of changing coaching staffs/systems every few years. The Steelers, as much as I hate them, keep coaches through good and bad and end up winning far more often than not. The Cowboys/Redskins always seem like they're trying to catch lightening in a bottle and end up losing more often than not. Call me crazy, but I really like the direction we're heading and I think Kubiak is a big, big part of that. Neither Rome nor the Steeler empires were built on a 4 year plan.

Great post. Have some rep. :)

chicagotexan2
07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Rep...

Everybody just sees a name and goes goo goo. Now if we struggle and Cowher becomes available, I'll take that guy.

you win. Cowher over Shany for me too. But If we tank this year and Cowher is not available then I could live with Mike Shanahan.

HOU-TEX
07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
What???

:goodpost: That's what I'm sayin

For the love of Pete! We need some camp and pre-season!

Hervoyel
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Well said. That pretty much sums it up for me.

Big Lou
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Kubiak took a 2 and 14 team and within three years had them at a respectable 8 and 8. Yeh, yeh, yeh they were at 8 and 8 again last year, but this team has improved dramatically. I see no reason to get rid of Kubiak. If they hired Shan Sr. then he would inherit a team with quality and depth something Kubiak didn't have the luxury of when he arrived.

Didn't anybody notice when Kubes and Smith left Denver they went to crap?!?!?!??!?!

I may be a Homer, but I'm confident that Kubes has the ship pointed in the right direction. Also remember if Shannahan comes to Houston then Gibbs leaves!!!!!

Speedy
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
A few years ago there was this guy, goes by Fisher, I believe, Jeff was his first name, and he was a 1st time head coach that wasn't getting a whole lot done record-wise in his first FOUR years (7-9, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8). And that's after taking over a team that was 2 years removed from 7 straight playoff appearances. Kubiak came into a much, much worse situation.

As it turns out, I seem to recall that Fisher guy ending up being a pretty good head coach.

barrett
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I think it'd be crazy to get rid of Kubiak without giving him a few more years. I know modern NFL stands for not for long but Consistency will be the key to long term success. DocBar nailed it. I believe that McNair is trying to build this organization in that Steeler organization's image and I expect him to make decisions much more conservatively than several other teams would. It is OBVIOUS that Kubiak has continued to build upon the year prior. He has become a better head coach every year. I see no reason to think that he won't continue to improve.