PDA

View Full Version : Gary Walker opines that Orlovsky is the future QB of the Houston Texans

indiantexan
07-19-2009, 07:08 PM
From houstontexans.com

I think the biggest offseason move (the Texans) made was getting the guy from Detroit, because I think he's the type of quarterback they need in that scheme," Walker said. "He's a big guy that can take a lot of hits. I think he's going to be the future quarterback for the Texans. That's my opinion.

Full article http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5372

MojoMan
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Just because Orlovsky did not make the pro bowl with Detroit last year does not mean the guy cannot be developed into a player. The Lions went 0-16 last year, for crying out loud.

If Walker turns out to be right, I think that could be a great story for our city.

Good luck Dan!

gtexan02
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I wasn't concerned with his probowl miss, I was concerned with his record as a starter...the guy has literally never played in an NFL game that has ended in victory. I don't care how talented you are or how untalented your team is. Some of that goes on teh QB. He has never won a game

Carr Bombed
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
If Schaub fails to stay healthy this season or regresses and Houston regresses, because of it........I agree with him. Orlovsky is only 25 and has all the tools to be a quality starter in this league. This is a BIG season for Schuab and I'm rooting for him, because I'd rather have him squash all doubts (playing wise and injury wise) and lock up the position than have to go through another change at QB.

Hervoyel
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
First things first. I think it's kind of weird and cool that we've been around long enough to have a "Where are they now?" page anywhere on the main site but at the same time if it ends up being a regular feature and ends up talking about a lot of our draft picks that's kind of bad because for most of the people we've selected in the draft the answer to "Where are they now?" is supposed to be "Playing football for the Texans" and we all know that's not the case for most of those selected from 2002-2005.

Now as for the statement about Orlovsky I think Gary doesn't keep up much with the Texans. I don't know where he got that take but it sounds a bit out of date to me. We get our QB's killed because we don't have an OL so they better be big guys who can take a lot of hits? That's what things were like the last time Gary Walker was suiting up so that's what he's talking about.

Not putting much stock in that.

ObsiWan
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I found this rather interesting because it would never occur to me to do such a thing...

"It was hard being an expansion team when people expect you to win right then," Walker said. "You lose a game and go to a restaurant and you have everyone that wants to tell you how much you suck.

"That's why I'm glad to see these guys finally getting big contracts, because you get paid to put up with a lot of that. People wanted to basically provoke you. They say stuff to try to provoke you into hitting them or whatever."

guess I've been somewhat naive about my fellow "fans"

imatexan
07-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Just because Orlovsky did not make the pro bowl with Detroit last year does not mean the guy cannot be developed into a player. The Lions went 0-16 last year, for crying out loud.

If Walker turns out to be right, I think that could be a great story for our city.

Good luck Dan!

Pro Bowl!?!?!?

Lets win a game, win a good amount of games,lead your team,put up good numbers,do not run out of the endzone...

And THEN we can start questioning if he is pro bowl matterial.

Thats a big predicition by Gary though, I HOPE Dan O works out and prove people like me wrong.

But even more I come for the next few years that he wont have a chance because Matt will be playing every game:tiphat:

ObsiWan
07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
First things first. I think it's kind of weird and cool that we've been around long enough to have a "Where are they now?" page anywhere on the main site but at the same time if it ends up being a regular feature and ends up talking about a lot of our draft picks that's kind of bad because for most of the people we've selected in the draft the answer to "Where are they now?" is supposed to be "Playing football for the Texans" and we all know that's not the case for most of those selected from 2002-2005.

Now as for the statement about Orlovsky I think Gary doesn't keep up much with the Texans. I don't know where he got that take but it sounds a bit out of date to me. We get our QB's killed because we don't have an OL so they better be big guys who can take a lot of hits? That's what things were like the last time Gary Walker was suiting up so that's what he's talking about.

Not putting much stock in that.

until Schaub makes it thru a 16 game season (hopefully 18 or 19) for a couple of seasons in a row, his durability is suspect. And if Schaub doesn't show that durability, sooner or later, Smithiak will replace him. I'm thinking the signing of Rex and Orlovsky are the first steps in that direction. For example, if Schaub goes down again this year for a 4-5 game stretch and we win without him, do you honestly think he'll get his job back? Do you think he should?

Carr Bombed
07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I found this rather interesting because it would never occur to me to do such a thing...

Yeah, that also popped out at me, there are some real *******s in this city.

jppaul
07-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I personally would do anything to have a 320 lb. defensive lineman pop me in the jaw. Eating a blended pizza out of a straw seems like so much fun.:whip:

gtexan02
07-19-2009, 09:20 PM
If Schaub fails to stay healthy this season or regresses and Houston regresses, because of it........I agree with him. Orlovsky is only 25 and has all the tools to be a quality starter in this league. This is a BIG season for Schuab and I'm rooting for him, because I'd rather have him squash all doubts (playing wise and injury wise) and lock up the position than have to go through another change at QB.

What tools exactly are you talking about? If you mean "hes tall and can throw the ball a long way" then yeah, I guess so. A certain "he will not be named" also fit that category.

Mental/football intelligence? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhijWrjy8Uo
"When they started blowing the whistle, I was like, 'Did we false start, or were they offsides or something?'" Orlovsky said. "And I looked, and I was just like, 'You're an *****.'"

The "It" factor (otherwise known as, is he a winner): Over his 4 year career, the team he plays on is a cumulative 0-12 in games where he takes at least one snap.

I want him to succeed because I really like his personality and I really like his size/arm strength. But I dont really think its fair to say "he has all the tools" when he hasnt shown them yet

Hervoyel
07-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Same here. "Lets go up to the giant guy who could crush us and tell him how much the Texans suck" would never enter my mind. Just seems like a bad plan from a survival standpoint. Above and beyond that though it would just be really tacky to do that. When I met Corey Bradford in 2002 the first thing he did was apologize to me for the previous weeks loss and honestly, that broke my heart on some level because I could tell that he meant it. He was talking about how they let us down and I spent the whole time I was speaking to him trying to make him understand that we could see the effort and that we'd get em' eventually.

until Schaub makes it thru a 16 game season (hopefully 18 or 19) for a couple of seasons in a row, his durability is suspect. And if Schaub doesn't show that durability, sooner or later, Smithiak will replace him. I'm thinking the signing of Rex and Orlovsky are the first steps in that direction. For example, if Schaub goes down again this year for a 4-5 game stretch and we win without him, do you honestly think he'll get his job back? Do you think he should?

Oh I understand that the durability thing is there but I don't see Orlovsky or Grossman being the QB of choice for Kubiak if Schaub proves he can never stay healthy. They're the new potential versions of Sage and nothing more. Remember that Sage was never honestly considered for the starting job when he was here and I genuinely believe the same will hold true for these two. They're both here to provide quality backup play while being coached up and made into potential trade value guys and nothing more. If Schaub gets crushed and one of these two plays then we'll be drafting a QB regardless of how well we do with either of these guys in the meantime.

painekiller
07-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that also popped out at me, there are some real *******s in this city.

The average citizen in Houston is not from here and would only follow a team here if it was a winner. They do not understand the game, much less the games inside the games.

Few people here know that Matt Schaub is the QB and that we have a pretty exciting and young football team ready to make noise in the NFL. They only know the team sucks, and the coach should be fired because we have not made the playoffs.

I still hear people mouthing off because we did not take VY.

That is the average citizen in Houston.

Now on this board you have the people that bleed for the team, we are not the average guy.

Vinny
07-19-2009, 10:59 PM
"That 3-4 defense took a lot out of me," Walker said. "That defense, you got hit from angles where you couldn't see people coming. I never did really start having injuries until I got in that defense. It took its toll.

"That defense there is just, I don't know, they can throw that stuff away. It's proven to win, but I tell you, people pay a price for it."I remember watching Gary's first year and thought about what a steal he was as he flashed some of his big time skills. Time takes a toll on you, especially in the trenches. Careers come and go so fast....reason 3256 why 5-year rebuilding plans are obsolete today.

TexansSeminole
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
When I read that I just thought he was just taking a shot. I've got alot of friends who do it. They'll say something far from the norm just so if it happens they can look like geniuses. If they are wrong than it is no biggie, but if they are right they look smart. I'm pretty sure that's what he was going for.

mexican_texan
07-19-2009, 11:49 PM
A lot of you have extreme opinions on a guy you've likely never seen more than one game. To call him a "loser" or insist he's somewhat responsible for his 0-12 record is plain wrong. He put the Lions in position to win time and time again, only to see his defense lay down and let the offense run all over them. If you don't think he's a future NFL starter, you didn't watch him play. You didn't see him use Calvin Johnson like a veteran QB, you didn't see him put the ball exactly where it needed to be, you didn't see him make the most out of mediocre WRs, and worst of all, a lot of you saw nothing more than the play where he ran out of the endzone. The same play where Detroit's play caller let a TE block Jared Allen.

Texecutioner
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM

I don't know about him being the future QB or anything. If Schaub goes down and he plays really well that would be really nice, but I think that is a pretty far stretch. He was surely the best QB that played on the Lions last season though even though he never got any victories. He had a pretty nice arm from what I saw. Now as far as other intangibles and decision making, and coming through in the clutch is something that he'll have to learn and prove that he can do in time though.

Carr Bombed
07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
What tools exactly are you talking about? If you mean "hes tall and can throw the ball a long way" then yeah, I guess so. A certain "he will not be named" also fit that category.

Mental/football intelligence? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhijWrjy8Uo

The "It" factor (otherwise known as, is he a winner): Over his 4 year career, the team he plays on is a cumulative 0-12 in games where he takes at least one snap.

I want him to succeed because I really like his personality and I really like his size/arm strength. But I dont really think its fair to say "he has all the tools" when he hasnt shown them yet

:rolleyes: Honestly.......how long are y'all going to harp over that damn safety for? I'm just asking here.... There's been very successful QBs who lined up under guard to take a snap in their first ever NFL start.

The kid had some very nice games last season (games where he played more than good enough for them to win) and I think under Kubiak and with a good work ethic he has the possibility to really grow in this league.

powerfuldragon
07-20-2009, 12:45 AM
he said orlovsky can take a lot of hits.. so our o-line still sucks?

i hope not.

Carr Bombed
07-20-2009, 12:48 AM
he said orlovsky can take a lot of hits.. so our o-line still sucks?

i hope not.

That or he thinks Schaub is soft, either way........not good.

The Pencil Neck
07-20-2009, 12:53 AM
The average citizen in Houston is not from here and would only follow a team here if it was a winner. They do not understand the game, much less the games inside the games.

Few people here know that Matt Schaub is the QB and that we have a pretty exciting and young football team ready to make noise in the NFL. They only know the team sucks, and the coach should be fired because we have not made the playoffs.

I still hear people mouthing off because we did not take VY.

That is the average citizen in Houston.

Now on this board you have the people that bleed for the team, we are not the average guy.

I was at a reunion a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned to a guy that pretty much the only time I come back to Houston is when I come back to see the Texans play. That I lurv my Texans. And the guy was like, "That's rough because they suck."

I was like... "My name is Inigo Montoya. Prepare to die."

Or maybe, "No, they don't."

Or something equally witty.

ObsiWan
07-20-2009, 03:07 AM
I was at a reunion a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned to a guy that pretty much the only time I come back to Houston is when I come back to see the Texans play. That I lurv my Texans. And the guy was like, "That's rough because they suck."

I was like... "My name is Inigo Montoya. Prepare to die."

Or maybe, "No, they don't."

Or something equally witty.

did this "guy" have a favorite team?
or did Inigo Montoya kill him before he had a chance to tell you who they were
:D

The Pencil Neck
07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
did this "guy" have a favorite team?
or did Inigo Montoya kill him before he had a chance to tell you who they were
:D

No one will ever find that body.

Did I say that out loud?

I meant to say, er, I didn't stick around long enough to hear if he had a favorite team or not.

spurstexanstros
07-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Pro Bowl!?!?!?

Lets win a game, win a good amount of games,lead your team,put up good numbers,do not run out of the endzone...

And THEN we can start questioning if he is pro bowl matterial.

Thats a big predicition by Gary though, I HOPE Dan O works out and prove people like me wrong.

But even more I come for the next few years that he wont have a chance because Matt will be playing every game:tiphat:

I cant agree more. I am wondering if some have taken complete leave of their senses. They guy helped to lead Detroit to an 0-16 record, and without him anything on the field to warrant it people want to give him the keys to the franchise and send him to the prow bowl. What is going on?

After recent qb history of the Texans (Carr, Schaub, Rosenfels) shouldnt we temper our expectations just abit? This guy hasnt won a game yet has he?There has to be a reason he was the third string qb of the worst team in the league. I welcome him as a Texan but I am not yet willing to say he should start and most assuradly not saying he is in the same zipcode as a probowler.

I have never negative repped anyone but if I see a start Dan O thread if Schaub has a bad game I think I just might...that or shoot them out of a catapault.....

nunusguy
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
As bad as the Texans offense was in the early years, the defense led by dlinemen Walker & Seth Payne & CB Arron Glenn was really quite good.
But Walkers take on Orlovsky was perceptive because the FA from Motown has the kind of mobility that Schaub doesn't and it's usually thought to be important in the WCO. Plus he's got a strong arm and therefor could perhaps be effective throwing on the roll-out.
BTW, anybody know what Seth Payne is doing in his retirement ? I suspect he's living back East somewhere ?

Goldensilence
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Looking over the season, I'm not really impressed with Dan O's numbers and game logs. That said I was never impressed with Sage Rosenfels when he signed on as BACKUP. I'm keeping in mind that Dan was signed with that role in mind.

I think has he the physical tools to be a solid QB long as he's willing to be coached and forget Detriot. I think the same of Rex Grossman and judging by how Kubiak kept Jake Plummer from making bad decisions I think it's possbile for Rex do well here too.

Vinny
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought Orlovski looked pretty good at times last year. He looked pretty decent against us and he really didn't have much of a coaching staff last season. I think Walker is thinking about all the bootlegs Kubiak offense runs...I believe that Kubiak thought Rosenfels was John Elway last year when he called the Rosencopter play.

Second Honeymoon
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
This sounds like an o blatant troll attempt by a bitter Walker.

dalemurphy
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Walker's motives and insider status aside, it's not an unreasonable assertion that Orlovsky could be the future starting QB for the Texans. I happen to be a Schaub fan but I realize that another injury-riddled season could jeopardize his 3 year extension.

Orlovsky is a young and physically gifted QB. I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that he'll become a better QB than Rosenfels, who is 5 years older and less talented. Also, Orlovsky wouldn't be the first QB to struggle on a bad team and eventually turn his career around elsewhere: Steve Young. I'm not predicting it but I think it's foolish to dismiss the possibility, especially given Kubiak's interest in Orlovsky (as indicated by the rather significant 3 year contract he received during the first week of FA).

barrett
07-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I think if he misses 4-5 games but wins when he's healthy then it's very possible that he could continue to hold the #1 spot. Every pass he throws is 670 more passes in this system than either of those guys. I think he'll have a decided advantage as the leader of the team so long as he produces when he's under center. Like it or not, him staying healthy would be less of a factor if he's playing lights out when he's on the field. I doubt they would go with someone who is less effective just because he's available for all 16 games.

Having said that, I think Orlovsky has great potential with Kubiak's tutorial.

badboy
07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
No one will ever find that body.

Did I say that out loud?I meant to say, er, I didn't stick around long enough to hear if he had a favorite team or not.No you did not and I'll swear to it!:friends:

GP
07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
I thought Orlovski looked pretty good at times last year. He looked pretty decent against us and he really didn't have much of a coaching staff last season. I think Walker is thinking about all the bootlegs Kubiak offense runs...I believe that Kubiak thought Rosenfels was John Elway last year when he called the Rosencopter play.

IIRC, the Lions WRs dropped a lot of passes that killed a lot of drives.

In my estimation, the Lions WRs let that team down against us last season.

At the end of the game, the WRs finally decided to catch the ball and they made a pretty good run at us. Being that it was Detroit, after all.

Orly is going to supplant Matt Schaub. :stirpot: