PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old, in with the new

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2009, 11:19 PM
My guess is we will see at least one major unanticipated impact surprise coming to us during the period that teams must cut down........by trade or through waivers. Besides that looming sign and trade scenario of Dunta, who might be involved on either side, and what position will we go for?...........RB, FS, CB??? There will be a "surprise." The question is what will it be?

Carr Bombed
07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Hopefully some more depth at RB.

dalemurphy
07-18-2009, 11:58 PM
My guess is we will see at least one major unanticipated impact surprise coming to us during the period that teams must cut down........by trade or through waivers. Besides that looming sign and trade scenario of Dunta, who might be involved on either side, and what position will we go for?...........RB, FS, CB??? There will be a "surprise." The question is what will it be?

I just don't see us trading Dunta. If he simply plays out the season and then walks, we almost surely will be receiving a 3rd compensatory pick for him... So, I don't think it makes sense to trade him for much less than a 1st, if we can have him for at least one more season and still get a late 3rd.

TexanBacker93
07-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I just don't see us trading Dunta. If he simply plays out the season and then walks, we almost surely will be receiving a 3rd compensatory pick for him... So, I don't think it makes sense to trade him for much less than a 1st, if we can have him for at least one more season and still get a late 3rd.

Considering it will be a contract year we could get his best season ever. I'd rather have that, get a compensatory pick when he signs somwhere else and look to the secondary on day one next April.

barrett
07-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Can't they franchise him again?

The Pencil Neck
07-19-2009, 02:17 AM

Probably. Sometimes guys make the teams sign an agreement not to franchise them again. But sometimes they can't get that stipulation in the contract.

Was it Walter Jones that just kept getting franchised over and over again?

NitroGSXR
07-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Probably. Sometimes guys make the teams sign an agreement not to franchise them again. But sometimes they can't get that stipulation in the contract.

I think Asante Samuel was franchised twice before he hit the market. I know Terrell Suggs was franchised twice but they removed the second tag at the signing deadline and signed a long term contract.

ChampionTexan
07-19-2009, 02:28 AM

Yeah - it was Jones, although he didn't mind it, so he never fought it. Peppers, Suggs, and I think Asomugha were three guys who were franchised for the 2nd year in a row this year. I say I think on Asomugha because he signed a long-term (very lucrative) deal, and I can't remember whether it was right before or right after the franchise deadline.

If there's no extension of the CBA (ie: the uncapped year in 2010 scenario), we'll actually be able to place a franchise/transition tag on at least two players, and I think it's actually three. Unless there's an agreement to the contrary in the meantime, there's no reason Dunta couldn't be one of them. This would be in addition to RFA's, which in the example I'm using would include both DeMeco, and Owen Daniels (unless of course they sign long-term deals before then).

dalemurphy
07-19-2009, 08:32 AM

each year a player is franchised, the tender increases by 20%. So, next season Dunta would be $ 12 million to franchise. If he was franchised again in 2011, his tender would be $15 million....

ObsiWan
07-19-2009, 10:34 AM

We've got a pretty good squad. Why change anything?
I think we stand pat.
In fact, one could say that picking up Good Rex/Bad Rex was the "unanticipated impact surprise" for this off-season. I know after signing Orlovsky I didn't see that one coming.

awtysst
07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
We've got a pretty good squad. Why change anything?
I think we stand pat.
In fact, one could say that picking up Good Rex/Bad Rex was the "unanticipated impact surprise" for this off-season. I know after signing Orlovsky I didn't see that one coming.

Its never a bad thing to continue to add good pieces if they become available. I can see us grabbing a big RB or a solid DB, if one were cut (such as a Denver RB).

gary
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
You know how Kubes just loves to bring in players from Denver there maybe another RB in the Texans sights. Who knows?

infantrycak
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
You know how Kubes just loves to bring in players from Denver there maybe another RB in the Texans sights. Who knows?

Kubes (geez I hate that, sounds like pubes, anyway) loves to bring in people he is familiar with. As time goes on Denver will be just any other team because Kubiak will not know the folks and they have changed their system away from what we do.

gary
07-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Kubes (geez I hate that, sounds like pubes, anyway) loves to bring in people he is familiar with. As time goes on Denver will be just any other team because Kubiak will not know the folks and they have changed their system away from what we do.I think this is slowly srarting to happen already Chris. Mike is not there anymore and they are already changing the way they run things and probably will continue to do so.

The Pencil Neck
07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I think this is slowly srarting to happen already Chris. Mike is not there anymore and they are already changing the way they run things and probably will continue to do so.

They're probably going to let go of a lot of guys from the old system. We may be able to use some of those guys. So, the connection to Denver might get a lot of work this training camp as guys are cut.

But after this year, not so much.

DocBar
07-21-2009, 05:06 AM
I think this is slowly srarting to happen already Chris. Mike is not there anymore and they are already changing the way they run things and probably will continue to do so. This may actually end up with us having even more ex-Bronco's as the new coaching staff brings in players they want and cut players from the old regime. I don't particularly mind, but I would like to see us steer clear of big contracts for aging vets that have bit us in the salary cap in years past.

El Tejano
07-21-2009, 07:22 AM
I would only trade Duntal for another player. Otherwise keep him and get the 3rd round compensatory pick.

HOU-TEX
07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I would only trade Duntal for another player. Otherwise keep him and get the 3rd round compensatory pick.

I highly doubt they'd give us a comp 3rd for Dunta, unless he has a PB year this season.

DocBar
07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I would love to see RB, DB and a swing tackle, in no particular order. The Texans are quickly becoming an attractive landing spot for up and comers, not just aging vets looking for a final payday. As far as DROB goes, it saddens me that such a favorite of mine is at the heart of our first big contract dispute. IMO, he's being selfish and naive. There's no gain in fighting this in the media and making himself look bad. $9.95 mil. is a TON of money. Sign the damned tender, play your ass off in '09 and PROVE you're 100% over the devastating leg injury. If he played for a team with a powerhouse D, he probably WOULD qualify for a stupidly huge contract, but being the best DB on the Texans just doesn't carry as much weight, add the injury to that and I bet he doesn't get THAT much a year. Being the best Texans DB is a lot like winning 5 gold medals at the Special Olympics. It's better NOT to qualify for them than it is to win them. Hopefully that changes this season.