PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Texans Missed Draft opportunities

awtysst
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
So, here are the top 5 Texans D'oh :homer: opportunities.

Note: these are made on actual choices, so I am not counting trading picks for players (ie P-Burnt) or choosing supplemental draft players(Tony Hollings) in lieu of draft choices.

1. Julius Peppers-DE: 2002 round 1, pick 1(player taken: David Carr-QB). Yep. Very first draft, very first pick. All Peppers did was become a dominant DE that anchored a stout Panther D line. All Carr did was....oh yeah. D'OH, D'OH, D'OH!

2. An Assortment of players, 2004 (picked instead: Jason Babbin-DE?)
This is #2 because we gave up 4 picks for Babbin. Granted, the Titans didnt do anything with them, but here is a list of who we could have taken:Bob Sanders-S, Chris Cooley-TE, Jared Allen-DE, Michael Turner-RB). Think w e could have used any of these players?

3. Jamaal Brown-OT: 2005, round 1, pick 13 (Player taken: Travis Johnson) You can a lot of things about Asserly. One thing he tried to do was look smarter than everyone else by taking a bizarre draft choice and then trying to make them look great. Shanahan tried to do the same thing here in Denver, actually. Anyway, when pick 13 comes around, most of the Texan nation wanted Longhorn LB Derrick Johnson. I would have been fine with that. I was hoping for Jamaal Brown, though. He looked like the big hulking OT we had desperately needed. Instead Asserly trades his pick and winds up with TJ.

4. Justin Tuck-DE-2005, round 3, pick 73 (player taken: Vernand Morency-RB). This is the classic example of what happens when you reach. Houston needed a RB and saw Morency. As we all know Morency did squat and was shipped to GB for Samokan Gado. Both players are out of the league. Tuck has developed into a solid DE. Think we could have used him? D'OH!

5. Clinton Portis-RB-2002, round 2, pick 33 (player taken Jabar Gafney-WR). This is an example of why the Asserly regime was so bad. They took a system QB with the first pick and then a system WR in the second. Instead we could have had one of the premier RBs in the game.

What are your top 5?

m5kwatts
07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
1. 2007 - Patrick Willis (but I still think Amobi Okoye can be a multi-pro-bowler, I just think Willis is a future HOFer)

2. 2002 - Julius Peppers (obvious but complete revisionist history)

3. 2005 - Roddy White (AJ80 on one side, this guy on the other = disturbing, although Walter cheaply through FA is nice compensation)

4. 2004 - Roethlesberger, Tommie Harris, Wilfork, Steph, Jackson (because Dunta is more trouble than he's worth at the moment)

5. 2003, 2nd round Bennie Jopru, coulda had Anquan Boldin

While these are painful, getting AJ over Charles Rodgers and MW over Bush or VY is remarkably awesome because the alternatives would have this franchise in the gutter, and thats an understatement.

Mari-OWNED!
07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
In 2005, the Texans could have drafted Marion Barber over Vernand Morency...

That one makes me very sick!

NitroGSXR
07-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I dislike woulda coulda shoulda threads.

All are good alternative selections but... eh.

painekiller
07-18-2009, 12:52 AM
3. Jamaal Brown-OT: 2005, round 1, pick 13 Anyway, when pick 13 comes around, most of the Texan nation wanted Longhorn LB Derrick Johnson. I would have been fine with that.

4. Justin Tuck-DE-2005, round 3, pick 73 (player taken: Vernand Morency-RB). This is the classic example of what happens when you reach. Houston needed a RB and saw Morency. As we all know Morency did squat and was shipped to GB for Samokan Gado. Both players are out of the league. Tuck has developed into a solid DE. Think we could have used him? D'OH!

5. Clinton Portis-RB-2002, round 2, pick 33 (player taken Jabar Gafney-WR). This is an example of why the Asserly regime was so bad. They took a system QB with the first pick and then a system WR in the second. Instead we could have had one of the premier RBs in the game.

What are your top 5?

Derrick Johnson was never going to be drafted to play in a Capers defense. He did not fit Capers predetermined mold. Might be why he defenses never reached the heights that Dick LeBeau D's did/do.

4. Morency was considered a 2nd round talent, and a steal when the Texans took him. Also I am not sure Casserly would have recognized Tuck as a 3-4 DE.

5. Gafney was taken 33rd and Pitts was taken 50th, and then Portis was taken 51st. It was debated that Pitts might have been available when Weary was picked, and even on down to the Charles Hill pick at 83. Sadly I would have taken LaCharles Bentley or DeShaun Foster over Gafney, and then Portis for a 1 - 2 punch that would have really helped this team early. Well maybe not with injury to both starting tackles.

What draft opportunities would I have done?

1. Is Peppers, he was the top talent in a weak draft. I'm sorry Dom but I think he would have been a hell of a DE to go with Walker and Payne in year one.

2. same draft Charles Hill was taken 83, and an all purpose back named Brian Westbrook was passed on.

3. Bennie Joppru never really had a chance due to injuries, but we could have taken Anquan Boldin and Jason Witten with the Peek pick and had two pro bowl players instead of two guys out of the league.

4. In 2008 they took Alex Brink with 223 pick, Brink was consider an UDFA type guy. The could have taken Anthony Alridge from U of H. Instead they where counting on 2 old RBs to carry them, mistake.

5. I've been trying to not copy but in 2005 Casserly trades multiple picks to a rival in cap trouble so they can add better quality bodies. Casserly helped build the Titans back into a threat and set his team back year. We get Babin, instead of (40) Travis LaBoy, (71)Matt Schaub, (103) Nathan Vasher, (138)Michael Turner.

Honorable mention would be a big reach. But Remember I never had David Carr, so in 2004 with the 10th pick I go Ben Roethlisberger. Not because I dislike Dunta, but because even at the time of the draft, I was think "How is Ben till on the board? " I would have grabbed him been very happy.

SteveSlaton20
07-18-2009, 03:54 AM
1. 2007 - Patrick Willis (but I still think Amobi Okoye can be a multi-pro-bowler, I just think Willis is a future HOFer)

what's the point of getting him when we already had demeco?

Maddict5
07-18-2009, 04:22 AM
i cant believe nobidy's mentioned this yet:

1,2,3,4&5 for me. in 2006 the texans passed on the greatest rb ever for some crappy, inconsistent DE from NC sta..... oh wait nvm :)

i dont think i could list 5 because even picks like the TJ pick had some good with them (eric winston) and every team can miss out on probowlers every draft but ones that particularly sting for me are ones where you miss on a great guy in the same position you were targeting:

like in 2006 we took DA in the 7th round and hes been a nice wr for us & made a couple plays. a good 7th rd pick. however 3-4 picks later NO took a wr out of hofstra called marques colston who has gone on to become a top 10 wr in the league. a good pick couldve been a magnificent pick

dalemurphy
07-18-2009, 06:59 AM
It really bothers me that we couldn't trade that first pick in 2002. If Im not mistaken, we couldn't trade any of our picks. Some of those expansion rules really limited the opportunity for our success.

Primarily though, Casserly's dismissive attitude about mid round draft picks was the most damaging. How many times I heard him talk about 2nd and 3rd round picks as if their success/failure was simply a matter of a coin flip... Perhaps good scouting and player development had more to do with the success or failure rate of draft picks than "chance" did. It's at least something he may have wanted to consider!

Marcus
07-18-2009, 08:46 AM

You don't think one of them could have played, and played well on the outside? That was John McClain's excuse for not drafting him, which is moronic if you ask me.

Other than that, you can play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game with any team in the league. But that's moronic in of itself, because you're going with what you know now from hindsight instead of what you knew then.

infantrycak
07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I just wish folks would stop connecting Gaffney and Portis. Pitts was taken one pick before Portis. Foster was taken in between Gaffney and Portis. Gaffney was considered a 1st round talent but in any event PITTS WAS TAKEN WITH THE PICK JUST BEFORE PORTIS.

False Start
07-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I just wish folks would stop connecting Gaffney and Portis. Pitts was taken one pick before Portis. Foster was taken in between Gaffney and Portis. Gaffney was considered a 1st round talent but in any event PITTS WAS TAKEN WITH THE PICK JUST BEFORE PORTIS.

I for one, am glad we have Pitts instead of Portis. CP is a great guy and a hell of a ball player at that. :cool:

BigBull17
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Yeah, Willis would be a beast on the outside. He is the one who would move to strong side and give us a VERY good LB corp.

gary
07-18-2009, 10:40 AM
What would have been with RB Davis if he did not get injured. That was a good pick that was taken over by the injury bug and that is ashame.

Vinny
07-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I just wish folks would stop connecting Gaffney and Portis. Pitts was taken one pick before Portis. Foster was taken in between Gaffney and Portis. Gaffney was considered a 1st round talent but in any event PITTS WAS TAKEN WITH THE PICK JUST BEFORE PORTIS.Indeed, and if you look at the rest of the draft there was no quality whatsoever who could play tackle after Pitts. Portis running behind a line with even weaker players would have made for a Dom Davis length career methinks....they were both smallish guys.

One more comment on this thread. Every single team in the league can look at the draft after the fact and cherry pick it...every team. All teams miss on players all throughout the draft. There isn't a single team that wouldn't be "better" cherry picking the draft after the fact.

m5kwatts
07-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Either of those 2 guys could play all 3 LB spots.

Norg
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
hmmm at the time David carr seemed like a sure fire Pick .....

awtysst
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Yeah, but what we could have done is taken Pitts with our first choice of the 2nd and then taken Portis with our second pick of the 2nd.

awtysst
07-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Indeed, and if you look at the rest of the draft there was no quality whatsoever who could play tackle after Pitts. Portis running behind a line with even weaker players would have made for a Dom Davis length career methinks....they were both smallish guys.

One more comment on this thread. Every single team in the league can look at the draft after the fact and cherry pick it...every team. All teams miss on players all throughout the draft. There isn't a single team that wouldn't be "better" cherry picking the draft after the fact.

Yeah, Vinny all teams miss on draft picks, but its fun to look at trends. Clearly, it is evident that Asserly swung and missed a lot.

I disagree with your thoughts on Portis though. We could have taken Pitts with the first pick of the second round and Portis with our second pick of the 2nd. Had we used Portis as our starter and then the next year drafted Dominack Davis to be the 3rd down back we could have had a great punch. Both guys would have complimented each other well. Both can catch out of the backfield, run between the tackles, and can block.

It might have prevented a 2-14 season too.

Vinny
07-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Vinny all teams miss on draft picks, but its fun to look at trends. Clearly, it is evident that Asserly swung and missed a lot.

I disagree with your thoughts on Portis though. We could have taken Pitts with the first pick of the second round and Portis with our second pick of the 2nd. Had we used Portis as our starter and then the next year drafted Dominack Davis to be the 3rd down back we could have had a great punch. Both guys would have complimented each other well. Both can catch out of the backfield, run between the tackles, and can block.

It might have prevented a 2-14 season too.
like I said, every team's fans can cherry pick the draft after the fact and build a super team.

Hervoyel
07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Indeed, and if you look at the rest of the draft there was no quality whatsoever who could play tackle after Pitts. Portis running behind a line with even weaker players would have made for a Dom Davis length career methinks....they were both smallish guys.

To me that's really the thing and there are very few missed opportunities in the draft where you could really say "Hey, that one move was a franchise altering mistake and anybody with any sense would have picked _______ instead". We haven't passed on a lot of guys who were just no brainers and in most cases when we did it's easy to point to another pick where we did the opposite and got a great player by drafting a guy who we all said "Who?" about.

Of all these picks being mentioned I consider the Julius Peppers passover to be the only one that was by itself just unforgivable. Many people who post today and who posted then had a very uneasy feeling about taking a rookie QB and starting the franchise "Cleveland Style". We'd all seen exactly what happened to Couch in Cleveland and heard the talk about building from the lines out by Capers and Casserly. Skipping Peppers because McNair fell in love with David Carr and decided he would be his "Face of the Franchise (TM)" was monumental because it set off a sequence of events that affected drafts all the way up to 2006. It made the Schaub trade necessary. It was an epic mistake with repurcussions that are still being felt.

NitroGSXR
07-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but what we could have done is taken Pitts with our first choice of the 2nd and then taken Portis with our second pick of the 2nd.

Then we'd be blasted for reaching on Pitts.

Lol. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Second Honeymoon
07-18-2009, 01:30 PM

because demeco doesnt make enough plays. hes a good player but our whole defense is sorely lacking in playmakers...

you can thank crater face Casserley for that....

Mari-OWNED!
07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
because demeco doesnt make enough plays.

You're joking right? Right!?

Any linebacker that makes 100+ tackles/year is doing a damn good job! Also to say that DeMeco is not a playmaker is very foolish IMO.

Carr Bombed
07-18-2009, 03:10 PM
because demeco doesnt make enough plays. hes a good player but our whole defense is sorely lacking in playmakers...

you can thank crater face Casserley for that....

I'd rather blame the defensive coaching staff. We've had a number of players who were better playmakers their rookie seasons, then after a few years in our "system" they lost that playmaking ability.

BigBull17
07-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Any linebacker that makes 100+ tackles/year is doing a damn good job! Also to say that DeMeco is not a playmaker is very foolish IMO.

Number of tackles isnt an accurate judge of playmaking ability. Its things like forced fumbles, INT's sacks, ect. Those are catigories he is lacking in. He's a GOOD LB, but he's not a stud like Willis.

Second Honeymoon
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd rather blame the defensive coaching staff. We've had a number of players who were better playmakers their rookie seasons, then after a few years in our "system" they lost that playmaking ability.

i am with that. i can blame the coaches and have done so, I am just saying we need more from DeMeco because although he has a lot of tackles, we need more big plays. More forced fumbles, more tackles for loss, and more big hits. In his defense, he hasn't exactly had a lot of talent around him at LB but at the end of the day we need more plays. i hope i am not wrong in asking for more plays from Ryans. i watched last season, yeah he was dinged but he was pretty underwhelming as a whole.

i just hope i see a change in defensive mindset. i am sick of the garbage JV schemes that the Texans coaching staff has ran since Kubiak got here, and hiring from within doesnt give me a lot of hope for much change.

Carr Bombed
07-18-2009, 04:18 PM
i am with that. i can blame the coaches and have done so, I am just saying we need more from DeMeco because although he has a lot of tackles, we need more big plays. More forced fumbles, more tackles for loss, and more big hits. In his defense, he hasn't exactly had a lot of talent around him at LB but at the end of the day we need more plays. i hope i am not wrong in asking for more plays from Ryans. i watched last season, yeah he was dinged but he was pretty underwhelming as a whole.

i just hope i see a change in defensive mindset. i am sick of the garbage JV schemes that the Texans coaching staff has ran since Kubiak got here, and hiring from within doesnt give me a lot of hope for much change.

It'd be nice if we could find a big 2 gap DT that could keep our LBs clean and keep blockers off of them. I think that's the biggest problem here. Hopefully Okam can step the hell up (even though I'm not counting on it).

awtysst
07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
It'd be nice if we could find a big 2 gap DT that could keep our LBs clean and keep blockers off of them. I think that's the biggest problem here. Hopefully Okam can step the hell up (even though I'm not counting on it).

According to the Texans Website
Okam: 6'4 342lbs
Cody: 6'4 310lbs
Leonard: 6'3 305lbs
Okoye: 6'2 302lbs
Robinson: 6'3 296
Visser 6'2 275lbs
Smith: 6'4 285lbs
Johnson: 6'3 311lbs

What I think will happen is we will see a lot of D-line rotations.

I think the following DTs will see significant playing time:
Cody
Okoye
Robinson
Johnson
Smith (may come inside on some passing plays)

As much as I want Okam to be the guy, he has not shown it. Okam makes our Defense REALLY scary, IF he plays to his size. Currently he has not.

Mari-OWNED!
07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Number of tackles isnt an accurate judge of playmaking ability. Its things like forced fumbles, INT's sacks, ect. Those are catigories he is lacking in. He's a GOOD LB, but he's not a stud like Willis.

DeMeco had two forced fumbles to Willis' one last season.
DeMeco and Willis BOTH each had just one sack last season.

The only glaring thing is Willis had one interception while Meco had none.

I guess you're right DeMeco is not a playmaker... :sarcasm:

dalemurphy
07-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Demeco is a very good LB and a playmaker. However, P. Willis is special. Regardless, both LBs could've co-existed on the same LB corp. If any comparison should be made, it is between Okoye and P. Willis.

The Pencil Neck
07-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Personally, the problem of trying to find a way to get Demeco and Willis on the field at the same time would have been a problem I would have liked to have had.

But.

That's just me.

painekiller
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Every single team in the league can look at the draft after the fact and cherry pick it...every team. All teams miss on players all throughout the draft. There isn't a single team that wouldn't be "better" cherry picking the draft after the fact.

Amen, but don't you think Casserly had more than his share of misses?

painekiller
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM

No it means the other guys can not tackle and he is on the field alot.

infantrycak
07-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Well gee, you set the rules so let's compare - (DeMeco/Willis) - 1st two years in the league:

Forced fumbles 2/3 - edge Willis by one.
INT's - 2/1 - edge DeMeco by one.
Sacks - 5.5/5 - edge DeMeco barely
Passes defensed - 14/15 - edge Willis barely.

Clearly based on these categories for play making Willis is a head and shoulders stud above merely good DeMeco.

Hooston Texan
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Primarily though, Casserly's dismissive attitude about mid round draft picks was the most damaging. How many times I heard him talk about 2nd and 3rd round picks as if their success/failure was simply a matter of a coin flip... Perhaps good scouting and player development had more to do with the success or failure rate of draft picks than "chance" did. It's at least something he may have wanted to consider!

What that ***** Casserly didn't realize was that those statistics he always quoted for failures in the middle rounds were for established teams, not expansion ones. Established teams may not see their middle-rounders contribute significantly for a few years, but expansion teams can't afford that luxury. Even if the pick turned out to have a serious talent deficiency, they at least gained important experience by being thrown in the fire . . .

UNLESS you had a guy as godawful as Casserly making the picks--in which case you got a handful of magic beans for what were massively-vital picks. This is the draft history of Charley Casserly from 2002 through 2005 in the critical second, third and fourth rounds:

2002:
(Round 2): Jabar Gaffney, Chester Pitts
(3): Fred Weary, Charles Hill
(4): Johnathan Wells
As lightweight as this group is, the Pitts selection alone makes this probably the best draft Casserly ever had in rounds 2/3/4.

2003:
(2): Bennie Joppru
(3): Antwan Peek, Seth Wand, Dave Ragone
(4): Dominick Davis
DDW was certainly a great pick. I suppose we have to blame cruel fate for Joppru never playing for us. But that's a brutal third round. Why we felt like we needed a left-handed backup to a second-year QB in the draft, I'll never freaking know. Especially when he turned out to be the only QB who played this decade who made Carr look good by comparison.

2004:
(4): Glenn Earl
The rest of the premium picks were sent to Bud Freaking Adams for the wonder that was Jason Babin. There is no redeeming value to this trade. None.

2005:
(3): Vernand Morency
(4): Jerome Mathis
Mathis was/is a good kick returner, but he gave us one good year. Of course, that meagre career puts him in third place for all-time best mid-round pick of the 2002-05 Texans behind Pitts and DDW. The rest of the picks were given away in Casserly's efforts to top his supremely stupid Babin trade: the Buchanon deal.

Yes, every team can construct a "shoulda drafted X instead of the bum we got" list. But for an expansion team to simply throw away picks for bad trades, kick returners and backup QBs is unforgiveable. It was no accident that the team Kubiak inherited was weaker than the one Capers broke camp with in September 2002. The only way to describe the 2002 through 2005 drafts is a few islands of quality in a vast sea of fail. For an expansion team, that just could not happen.

Mari-OWNED!
07-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Personally, the problem of trying to find a way to get Demeco and Willis on the field at the same time would have been a problem I would have liked to have had.

But.

That's just me.

Trust me, I would have loved to have Ryans AND Willis on the Texans. I just can't believe when people are comparing the two they are talking about DeMeco as if he's just an average linebacker. That's just crazy IMO.

Second Honeymoon
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Trust me, I would have loved to have Ryans AND Willis on the Texans. I just can't believe when people are comparing the two they are talking about DeMeco as if he's just an average linebacker. That's just crazy IMO.

to be fair, i said Ryans was a good linebacker but that he needed to make more plays before we start unequivocally start taking people off our draft board to accomodate his career. I am not saying Willis is any better than Ryans, I am just saying that Ryans' play needs to improve if we are to give him untouchable status as a starter.

dalemurphy
07-19-2009, 12:02 AM
to be fair, i said Ryans was a good linebacker but that he needed to make more plays before we start unequivocally start taking people off our draft board to accomodate his career. I am not saying Willis is any better than Ryans, I am just saying that Ryans' play needs to improve if we are to give him untouchable status as a starter.

Willis is better than Ryans. I love Demeco and think he's a very good LB but Willis is the best LB to come into the league since Ray Lewis, IMO.

Goldensilence
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok I'll bite. Carr vs Peppers.

I liked the trading back in the spot where we took TJ, But TJ was a pick I'd take back. I was hoping for Alex Barron.

Far as having Demeco and Willis. I'd move Demeco outside and the bigger Willis inside at MLB. Willis vs Amobi I think will be tough after this year. I'm expecting the reins to be let go on the Dl and we'll finally be seeing them play to get upfield and to the QB instead of the "read and react " crap that RS preached.

I hate resposting it but I don't think we NEED the cheeseburger eating DT that some of the guys are foaming over the mouth for. I think if Okam steps up, awesome. If not I think we have what two other successful defenses have, enough depth at DT to roate and keep fresh legs as the game goes on. The DTs for the Giants and Eagles aren't huge but, they play upfield and they have good depth.

If the new staff does nothing else I hope they have the DTs playing upfield. If they do this defense will take the proverbial step forward.

beerlover
07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
#1. 2002 1st overall selection David Carr, QB - Worst Ever. could have drafted Julius Peppers. easy one, build the D first.

#2. Trading a 2nd & 3rd draft picks for P. burn. instead of two starters the Texans aquired nothing, so ends the Casserly era & people wonder why? Corey Webster, 2nd & Justin Tuck 3rd. (helped Giants win a Super Bowl).

#3. 2004 trade-up to get Jason Babin in the 1st rd. projection pick from small school undersized measureables, led to him getting hurt & having little impact, basicly giving up an entire draft with nothing in return. Bob Sanders, 2nd. Matt Schaub 3rd. (Casserly did not grade the QB position worth a crap, surely by this time we all knew a back-up plan had to be installed).

#4. 2004 supplemental draft took Tony Hollings, RB. gave up 1st pick of the 2nd rd. to aquire his rights. another projected pick coming off acl, just terrible resource management & player evaluation. Karlos Dansby, LB Arizona Super Bowl team leader

#5. 2003 2nd rd. pick Bennie Joppru, TE. Took a luxury position too early, not a great blocking TE to help in protection anyway, hurt & never played. Osi Umenyiora, DE could also have played 3-4 OLB.

none of those players Texans drafted or used draft picks to trade up for are with this team anymore, most are out or barely hanging on in NFL while those names mentioned who were bypassed became Pro-Bowl or at least starters for respective teams. All made possible by our friend Charlie Casserly :cool:

NEB74
07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
some friend..

thunderkyss
07-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Even in that scenario, you take Pitts where many other teams passed on him.

& still, this is so easy to do, looking back. But you never know how a player would turn out given a different set of circumstances. Put Gaffney opposite Marvin Harrison with Peyton Manning as the QB, who knows what could have happened?

ObsiWan
07-20-2009, 03:19 AM

I see your point about them both being more or less equal in production but I think the point of the poster is that maybe we could have/would have had P. Willis on the field instead of Morlon Greenwood for at least two seasons.