PDA

View Full Version : Death of former Colt results in murder charges

CloakNNNdagger
07-12-2009, 03:55 PM
.................27 years later!

This decision could have unbelievable implications in other liiability cases (eg., injuries caused by drunk drivers) resulting in hemi or paraplegia since these patient eventually succumb to complications of their condition such as pressure ulcers or urinary tract infections (because of the need for continuous indwelling bladder catheter due to paralysed bladder muscles).

Michael Woods joined the Colts -- the Baltimore Colts -- as a second-round pick in the 1978 draft.

In 1982, a man named Victor Gomez shot Woods in the back of the head, leaving him paralyzed.

With Woods' testimony, Gomez was convicted of the crime, and Gomez spent six years in jail.

Now, however, Gomez is charged with Woods' murder.

On May 28, Woods died at age 54 of a kidney infection. But because the infection allegedly traces to the paralysis, which allegedly traces to the lead slug Gomez fired into Woods' spine 27 years ago, Gomez now faces murder charges.

Whether a conviction results is largely academic; the 44-year-old Gomez currently is serving a prison term of 41-to-85 years for sexual assault.

Still, justice should at all times be done, and if a shooting ultimately claims a person's life, the person who pulled the trigger should be prosecuted for murder -- regardless of the amount of time that passes between the entry of the bullet and the ending of the victim's life.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/12/death-of-former-colt-results-in-murder-charges-27-years-later/)

Carr Bombed
07-12-2009, 04:30 PM
If he's already in jail for the rest of his life, why waste the tax payer's money?

mexican_texan
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
If he's already in jail for the rest of his life, why waste the tax payer's money?
Execution?

Carr Bombed
07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Execution?

Is he in a capital punishment state?

I just don't like wasting tax payer's money if it can be avioded. Just slip a note into his file saying he needs to stay in jail for all of those 80 something years.

CloakNNNdagger
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Is he in a capital punishment state?

I just don't like wasting tax payer's money if it can be avioded. Just slip a note into his file saying he needs to stay in jail for all of those 80 something years.

Ohio is a death penalty state. Besides this, there may be a push to establish legal precendence on the question of applicablity of the 5th Amendment prohibition of "double jeopardy," and as it applies to "long-term ultimate" liability (setting the stage for a civil proceeding). Maybe Frog or Steph could offer a more accurate response.

NitroGSXR
07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Why don't we worry about this if he comes up for parole for his sexual assault sentence? Isn't this a separate crime and can be tried for on its own?

This is a silly waste of valuable legal resources and money. I want prosecuters to be focused on putting people in jail, not trying to keep a rotting old man in prison who will most likely die there anyway?

Eh. Pay off another prisoner to finish him off is what i'd do but then again there's a very good reason why i'm not in the legal business. I'd just do away with evereybody. I take a very hard stance on violent criminals. Very hard. FIRM BELIEVER IN THE DEATH PENALTY. I like how China does it. Shoot 'em and bill the family for the price of a bullet.

Stop building prisons and build death chambers.