PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 MLB's currently in the NFL

Mari-OWNED!
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8111b08b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bucky Brooks shows a lot of love for DeMeco naming him the 2nd best MLB in the league only below Patrick Willis.

The Texans' unheralded star is widely regarded as one of the top players at the position because of his exceptional skills and playmaking ability. Ryans instinctively flows to the ball and acts as the designated hitter in the team's resurgent defense. Though his game lacks the sizzles of some of his counterparts, Ryan's consistency and production garners rave reviews from coaches and scouts throughout the league.

Nothing new really that us Texans fans don't already know, but it is good to hear some love for our players.

Also can we get him a contract extension now?

Sheesh....

V3rm0nt3r
07-03-2009, 12:13 AM
im optimistic but "resurgent"? a little premature don't you think?

buddyboy
07-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Sorry, but I think Ryans is getting a little overrated

TheRealJoker
07-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Coming off an injury riddled season where DeMeco didn't get named to even the pro bowl i'd have to say he is being overrated here. Sure he played injured, but he didn't play like a top 5 MLB last season, much less the # 2.

Chance_C
07-03-2009, 03:38 PM
His cousin Brittany Ryans just left my store. The last time she was in here I asked her if knew Demeco Ryans and she said yes. I asked if she was kin to him and she is his 2nd cousin. Well she was just in here and I asked if she was gonna see him this weekend and she said no. I asked if they were close and she said no. Said the last time she saw him was 2 months ago. I told him to go call her and tell him to sign a contract already....:texflag:

Texan4Ever
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
IMO, the top five MLBs are as follows:

1.) Ray Lewis - Still commands respect from opposing offenses and linemen have to know where he is on the field in case he decides to blitz. Not to mention, an outstanding leader and General of the Defense.

2.) Patrick Willis - Has the stats and is consistent in tackles. One of the leagues true All-Stars at his position.

3.) Jon Beason - An up and comming star who is becoming the leader of his defense.

4.) DeMeco Ryans - Stats wise he has regressed but he is a leader and is still an impact player who is respected around the league. :texflag:

5.) James Farrior - Good, all around LB who is still contributing to his defense even with so many star players surrounding him.

El Tejano
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Everytime I see Ryans name, Willis' name is right there too and it makes me cringe at the 2007 Draft.

m5kwatts
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Everytime I see Ryans name, Willis' name is right there too and it makes me cringe at the 2007 Draft.

Give Okoye a break, yeah it sucks right now but lets look back at this in 5 years...furthermore if were talking about "needs" I'd put DT way ahead of LB right now and Amobi appears to be our only one with any upside

TheRealJoker
07-03-2009, 04:41 PM
It seems like "the talking heads" opinion on the 06 draft came a year too early. They claimed that while Mario was good he is not the "all star" like Vince Young or Reggie Bush and he will never have their ceiling.

Yet after the 07 draft the Texans were generally praised for making the right call. But in hindsight we left an "all star" like Patrick Willis and a potential "all star" in Darelle Revis on the board. I still have hope that Okoye will turn out to be a good DT but I cant help but think he will never be the impact player Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis could've been for us. With the way those two are playing we're gonna need Okoye to become the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp or we're constantly going to be looking back at the 07 1st round pick as a "what if..." pick.

m5kwatts
07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
It seems like "the talking heads" opinion on the 06 draft came a year too early. They claimed that while Mario was good he is not the "all star" like Vince Young or Reggie Bush and he will never have their ceiling.

Yet after the 07 draft the Texans were generally praised for making the right call. But in hindsight we left an "all star" like Patrick Willis and a potential "all star" in Darelle Revis on the board. I still have hope that Okoye will turn out to be a good DT but I cant help but think he will never be the impact player Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis could've been for us. With the way those two are playing we're gonna need Okoye to become the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp or we're constantly going to be looking back at the 07 1st round pick as a "what if..." pick.

Revis and Willis are great players right now yes, and Okoye is not. But what if Amobi gets 40 something tackles 5-6 sacks and is a force this year? Heck he got 5.5 sacks his rookie season. I know he was bad last year but this guy is not Travis Johnson. He will be a player in this league.

Goatcheese
07-03-2009, 07:31 PM
The reasons he gave for why Ryans is his #2 pick is why I think he belongs in the #6-10 range. He's a solid consistent player, but not a dangerous play maker, or elite linebacker.

Lucky
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Sure, if you are just evaluating MLBs from the 2008 season. If you take a 3 year analysis, there's no question that Ryans is top 5. DeMeco was playing hurt last season. And probably playing too heavy. With a new strength coach, as well as a new DC, I fully expect Ryans level of play to match his '06-'07 production. If the Texans do improve to become a good defense in 2009, a big reason will be DeMeco Ryans.

Vinny
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Sure, if you are just evaluating MLBs from the 2008 season. If you take a 3 year analysis, there's no question that Ryans is top 5. DeMeco was playing hurt last season. And probably playing too heavy. With a new strength coach, as well as a new DC, I fully expect Ryans level of play to match his '06-'07 production. If the Texans do improve to become a good defense in 2009, a big reason will be DeMeco Ryans.

I concur....Ryans was slow to the ball when he was playing hurt but you could still see him flash. If the Texans didn't have such ROTTEN DT play last year it wouldn't have been as noticeable (ie the team D was really awful unless Ryans is at the top of his game). Ryans could start on just about every single NFL team if healthy.

beerlover
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Leadership cannot be denied, stats have to be taken in context with associated defensive groups around him like the DL ability in run support, penetration & QB hurries/sacks as well as the DB's give/takeaway & their run support numbers. Trying to assess individual awards within the context of team achievement, after all the numbers are digested is how well he improves those around him, his flashes of closing/finishing speed & ability to takeaway from the offense its primary weapons. I love that aspect of DeMeco which allows him to take under his wing a potentially great young player to work & help develop him to achieve great things. the fact he works well with lesser talent like Adibi/Diles so that they have the opportunity to shine on the field also is an example of his leadership & mentoring ability.

Franchise commitment and/or ability to commit defenseively has been lacking here in Houston. The mindset Patrick Willis gets from his coach Mike Singletary has not & never has existed with the Texans, alot of those numbers Willis achieves is at least indirectly realted to his environment, leadership, passion & mentoring going on from Mike. DeMeco has taken it upon himself to led by example in the past now it would seem with Bush (former LB like Singletary) entrenched along with new assistant support he will not be alone, so look not as much at individual numbers as much as team improvement amonst the entire LB group.

As the Texans become a Top 5 Defensive Team rest assured DeMeco Ryans will be right there in the middle not just as a stop gap but as director of on the field operations, thats his true value & why he is worthy of consideration :texflag:

http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/texanscamp/images/040.jpg

Maddict5
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/texanscamp/images/040.jpg

I caption this pic:

June 2008: It is announced Richard Smith has kept his job as Texans DC

TimeKiller
07-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I think we added plenty of size to the LBs with Cushing and would like to see DR drop a few to 10 lbs. I know he was hurt but he just looked overweight and a step slow. Let Cushing be the monster, keep Demeco as the all around (hopefully the weight loss and health give him a step back), hope Adibi develops his playmaking with INTs and sacks. That's how I see it anyway.

HOU-TEX
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Hopefully with D-Ryans dropping a few lbs thet he added last year will help him in the passing game this season. His pass coverage seems to be his weakest skill at the moment. IMO, he should not have been a 3 down LB last season, but I'm more than willing to see how a leaner D-Ryans pans out.

I love his game, but don't think it's worthy of top 5 in the League until he can improve in coverage.

Texan JBZ
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I just got through scrolling through you guys' posts, and I have to say that most of you are crazy for underrating DeMeco. He got absolutely not production from his DTs for most of the season AND played hurt and still was a very superb and solid playmaker. I just find it funny that we as Texans fans are saying he's a tad overrated when the rest of the country obviously doesn't. Here's what Rod Woodson thinks:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81118e39/Top-5-Middle-Linebackers

And please stop the garbage about Jon Beason being better than DeMeco. That's total nonsense. Beason is a solid player, but he's not as good as DeMeco.