PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Chiefs??

thunderkyss
06-28-2009, 04:03 PM
What do you think?

I'm thinking they've got what it takes, to be 2009's Cinderella. They've got an OL. Anchored by Brandon Albert. They've got Dwayne Bowe, Larry Johnson & Jamal Charles.

They've picked up Matt Cassel, Bobby Engram, & Terence Copper.

Defensively, they've got Tamba Hali, Glen Dorsey, Tank Tyler, Derrick Johnson, DeMario Williams & Brandon Flowers.

They've picked up Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel, & Mike Brown.

They also got Tyson Jackson, Alex McGhee, and Donald Washington in the draft.

First Year Head Coach Tod Haley Comes over from Arizona, He helped the Cardinals to a SUper Bowl Appearance, and an offense with 3 1000 yard recievers.

I think, like the Saints of 2006, they have way more talent than a 2-14 team. People are going to sleep on them, and they are going to make some noise in 2009.

What say you?

Texan4Ever
06-28-2009, 04:09 PM
IDK about there offense, but if Cassell is anything like he was last year they should be okay, but there defense is the key. Switching to a 3-4 takes time and IMO I don't think they have the right players to run the system.

Another big question is is what happens to Glenn Dorsey? At 6'1" 300-Lbs he fits a 4-3 defense but in a 3-4 I don't feel he's capable of playing the DE spot let alone the NT spot.

I like there coaching staff but untill I see there defense in action I think its going to be another long season, maybe a 5-11 record? :thinking:

mancunian
06-28-2009, 04:14 PM
5 - 11 maybe 6 - 10, 7 - 9 if they get lucky. Having said that they do play the Raiders and Broncos twice....

Lucky
06-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I think the Chiefs will struggle with new offensive and defensive systems. On the offensive side of the ball, I question whether Haley's system will fully exploit LJ's capabilities. With Gonzalez gone, all of the coverage rolls to Bowe. I'm not sold on Cassel without Moss, Welker, and the Pats o-line.

On defense, I don't think the 3-4 is a good fit for Dorsey or Hali. Vets like Vrabel & Thomas could help. But not enough to avoid being one of the bottom 10 defenses in the league.

The Chiefs play in the AFC Worst, so they could get a couple of wins off the Broncos & Raiders. Arrowsmith is a tough place to play, and that could add a couple of more victories. I would say their over/under win total would be 5. And I would take the under.

Maddict5
06-28-2009, 04:18 PM
alot of young talent there alright... but young talent tends to underachieve. i dont really rate haley that much. they could go anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 though if things go ok

Ryan
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
2010 maybe, but this year...no.

nunusguy
06-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I think the Chiefs will struggle with new offensive and defensive systems. On the offensive side of the ball, I question whether Haley's system will fully exploit LJ's capabilities. With Gonzalez gone, all of the coverage rolls to Bowe. I'm not sold on Cassel without Moss, Welker, and the Pats o-line.

On defense, I don't think the 3-4 is a good fit for Dorsey or Hali. Vets like Vrabel & Thomas could help. But not enough to avoid being one of the bottom 10 defenses in the league.

The Chiefs play in the AFC Worst, so they could get a couple of wins off the Broncos & Raiders. Arrowsmith is a tough place to play, and that could add a couple of more victories. I would say their over/under win total would be 5. And I would take the under.

Valid reasons to question the chances of the Chiefs establishing a good record in a year with as much transition as they are going thru with a new GM, HC, and offensive & defensive systems . And I also got a hunch the Raiders may be a tougher team this year than many realize.
BTW its Arrowhead not Arrowsmith. And it is one of the great Sunday afternoon experiences in the NFL. We can only hope that someday Reliant Stadium will be thought of in the same sense that Arrowhead is in this league.

Lucky
06-28-2009, 05:48 PM
BTW its Arrowhead not Arrowsmith.
I have to blame the toys in my attic on that one.

Goldensilence
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Definitely have the pieces to make some noise next year.

I like Bowe but, without Gonzo to fall back on he's going to have to carry the WR corps and hope Copper can step up as a viable #2. They do have a good stable of RBs with Larry Johnson, Jamal Charles and Dantrell Savage.

Some good pieces to work with on defense now, and should have a good line up front. Should be interesting to see how Dorsey and Jackson work together again on the DL.

I'll also add how I think think the AFC West will be wide open this year.

San Diego had an 8-8 season to win the division after Denver melted down the stretch. The Turner effect is starting to take hold. I really didn't think it was possible to drag such a talented team down, thanks for proving me wrong Norv!

Denver's off-season is well chronicled.

Oakland is well..Oakland. While they have another unproven HC, they also have a defense that is capable of playing good in stretches and have a good stable of running backs. WR corps relies heavily on Walker being healthy and DHB developing quickly. I'll add that I do like Johnnie Lee Higgins and think he can come on strong as the #3, he's also a good returner.

gary
06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I just don't see KC doing much in one year. Just too many changes and it does take some time to rebuild. 8-8 might land them in the playoffs though.

stingray
06-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Matt Cassel is the key. If he is the real deal and not a one year wonder than they will be a tough out.

Jackie Chiles
06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Their defense last year was like our defense would have been if we never drafted Mario. They literally had zero pass rush, 10 sacks as a team. Losing Jared Allen was a huge blow. They still have no one capable of being a reliable rusher but I think the 3-4 will allow them to scheme up some pressure. The offense could definitely surprise, I could see them winning 6 games pretty easily much like after our 2-14 debacle.

BSofA04
06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I see them with 7-9 wins this year. We'll see how the offense does under Cassell. Todd Haley said that Dwayne Bowe showed up to OTA's 20 lbs. over weight. Not what you want to see from your #1 WR.

LonerATO
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I see them with 7-9 wins this year. We'll see how the offense does under Cassell. Todd Haley said that Dwayne Bowe showed up to OTA's 20 lbs. over weight. Not what you want to see from your #1 WR.

I agree with you on their record next year. I have a feeling Cottam will step up in Gonzo's absence. I still think the D will run in 4-3 till they get the pieces together, but you will see some 3-4. To be honest I have always liked the Chiefs and they have a good year.

GP
06-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Their defense last year was like our defense would have been if we never drafted Mario. They literally had zero pass rush, 10 sacks as a team. Losing Jared Allen was a huge blow. They still have no one capable of being a reliable rusher but I think the 3-4 will allow them to scheme up some pressure. The offense could definitely surprise, I could see them winning 6 games pretty easily much like after our 2-14 debacle.

Agreed.

Their defense will hold them back.

I can see heir offense improving, and I bet they have a better season. The hiring of Herm Edwards a few years ago was interesting. He tanked that Jets team, and went right into another HC job in K.C. where he also had brought his Jets offensive coordinator with him.

Anything that's not Herm Edwards should do better, sort of like our situation when Dom was fired and Kubiak came along. It's almost a given that the team will improve. Herm really screwed that team up. I have a friend who's a Chiefs fan...and he says he now has hope.

HOU-TEX
06-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree with what many have said about the Chiefs. IMO, their defense might be even worse than they were last year. Vrabel and Thomas are not the answers they need defensively. Thomas was horrible for Dallas last season. Hopefully DJ can thrive in this transition.

I think Lucky was spot on describing their offense. Cassel was behind one of the better Oline's in the League last season, but still led all QB's by getting sacked 47 times. He holds the ball way too long in the pocket. If he's unable to improve on this he will consistantly be getting smoked behind his new Oline.

I think that division will be SD's to lose with the Raiders pushing them. The Raiders are a Coach and a QB away from being pretty good. Is Cable their guy?

beerlover
06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
NFL schedule did not favor them at all, if I were a Chiefs fan I would be mad as hell looking at those first six games, they're going to be lucky to win one (Oakland) out of six (Baltimore, Philly, Giants, Cowboys, Skins & Chargers) thats just brutal.

so they come out of their bye week 1-6 scratch & claw @ Jacksonville then @ Oakland in a rematch they probably lose this time. Then the Superbowl champion Steelers come to town, to Quallcomm in San Diego, before finally catching a break @ home for three consecutive winnable games, Denver, Buffalo & Cleveland. maybe a split last two road games @ Cinncinnati & Denver.

so best case as I see it would be 5-11

thunderkyss
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
NFL schedule did not favor them at all, if I were a Chiefs fan I would be mad as hell looking at those first six games, they're going to be lucky to win one (Oakland) out of six (Baltimore, Philly, Giants, Cowboys, Skins & Chargers) thats just brutal.

so they come out of their bye week 1-6 scratch & claw @ Jacksonville then @ Oakland in a rematch they probably lose this time. Then the Superbowl champion Steelers come to town, to Quallcomm in San Diego, before finally catching a break @ home for three consecutive winnable games, Denver, Buffalo & Cleveland. maybe a split last two road games @ Cinncinnati & Denver.

so best case as I see it would be 5-11

Oooh.... forgot to look at their schedule. YOu're right, that's brutal.

Texan4Ever
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Matt Bowen has a different opinion with regards to Dorsey and the 3-4 defense:http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmiFDNHxTll8DKDHCP8y6gBDubYF?slug=ys-nfpdefenders070209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns.

Lucky
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Matt Bowen has a different opinion with regards to Dorsey and the 3-4 defense:
Dorsey struggled as a rookie, and now has to learn a defense he's never played in. His best fit is as a 4-3 undertackle. Why Haley came in and decided to switch to a 3-4, with personnel suited for a 4-3, is puzzling. And it will likely set back this franchise a couple of years until they find the right pieces.

HOU-TEX
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Holy one year wonder, Batman! I sure hope this guy's their answer cuz if not, the chiefs are screwed. Looks like a front-loaded contract too.

Chiefs | Cassel contract details
Comment (0)
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:02:23 -0700

Updating previous reports, John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have signed QB Matt Cassel to a six-year contract extension worth $63 million, according to a source. The deal includes $28 million in guaranteed money. Cassel will receive $40.5 million in the first three years of the contract.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Goldensilence
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Holy one year wonder, Batman! I sure hope this guy's their answer cuz if not, the chiefs are screwed. Looks like a front-loaded contract too.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Man and people thought the Texans were crazy for the contract they gave Schaub. I guess we'll see how well he does without Moss, Welker and the Pats OL.

HOU-TEX
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Man and people thought the Texans were crazy for the contract they gave Schaub. I guess we'll see how well he does without Moss, Welker and the Pats OL.

That's for darn sure.

Texecutioner
07-14-2009, 05:07 PM
What do you think?

I'm thinking they've got what it takes, to be 2009's Cinderella. They've got an OL. Anchored by Brandon Albert. They've got Dwayne Bowe, Larry Johnson & Jamal Charles.

They've picked up Matt Cassel, Bobby Engram, & Terence Copper.

Defensively, they've got Tamba Hali, Glen Dorsey, Tank Tyler, Derrick Johnson, DeMario Williams & Brandon Flowers.

They've picked up Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel, & Mike Brown.

They also got Tyson Jackson, Alex McGhee, and Donald Washington in the draft.

First Year Head Coach Tod Haley Comes over from Arizona, He helped the Cardinals to a SUper Bowl Appearance, and an offense with 3 1000 yard recievers.

I think, like the Saints of 2006, they have way more talent than a 2-14 team. People are going to sleep on them, and they are going to make some noise in 2009.

What say you?

It's certainly possible. If Cassel can be what he was for NE, then they have a pretty nice chance being in that weak division over there.

I think they should use Jamal Charles a lot in the passing game the same way Bush is used in the passing over in NO. Charles can be a real weapon if used properly.

Also Bowe will be in his 3rd season and should do real well this year.

JCTexan
07-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Well, Cassell is more proven then Schaub was when the Texans traded for him. Cassell has one whole year as a starter under his belt. Schaub had what: five games?

Goldensilence
07-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, Cassell is more proven then Schaub was when the Texans traded for him. Cassell has one whole year as a starter under his belt. Schaub had what: five games?

Yeah but Schaub didn't have the supporting cast in Atlanta that Cassell had, which I've already pointed out.

While we gave up 2 2nd rounders we signed Schaub to a 6 year 48 Million dollar contract that included only 7 million in guarantees. Schaub's first 3 years was 20 million as opposed to the whopping 40 Cassell is getting.

The kicker for Schaub's deal is after this year we can pay him a 10 million dollar bonus that will continue the final 3 years of the deal. While the 48 million looked bad on paper it's really a managable contract given the 3rd year option. Which is going to be close IMO. If Schaub plays anything less then 12 games this year I think we should move on.

Given the way Cassell's contract looks front loaded I can't help but wonder if they have given him a similar stipulation. Even so by the time the third year rolls around he'll have munched out 2/3 of his financial terms.

Not saying the trade or the contract is terrible for KC but it could hamstring them if it's not structured similarly. For what I can remember not very many players have really excelled outside of NE once they leave. Whic his my cause for concern. The best I can do isI think Vinetari won a ring with the Colts.

TexansSeminole
07-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Also Bowe will be in his 3rd season and should do real well this year.

Yea, I think Bowe has a chance to be a top 10 receiver next year. He has the tools to be a top 5 receiver if he has consistent QB play.

NitroGSXR
07-17-2009, 02:53 AM

I don't know... Matt Cassell never started a game until last season. He didn't even start at USC at all! He played backup to two different QBs who moved on into the NFL. At least Schaub had some real playing time in college.

I'm betting that Cassell is a product of Bill Belichick's genius. I've noticed a trend of players and coaching staff that struggle once they leave New England.

Battle Red Flash
07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
What do you think?

I'm thinking they've got what it takes, to be 2009's Cinderella. They've got an OL. What say you?

It's a year or two early for Cinderella. Pioli will get them there soon, though. Cassell was 21 TD's and 11 INT's in NE. In KC, look for 17/15. LJ looks done. Good young players though. Tough sched in '09 will hold them down. 6-10 maybe.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Man, whackin your OC a week and a half before the season? I think the Chiefs are in for a dismal season.

Chiefs fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

It's odd timing with just two weeks to go before the start of the season. Gailey surprisingly survived the initial purge of the Herman Edwards staff and was expected to start the season as the main playcaller. It's not clear what has changed between then and now. Maurice Carthon is a good bet to be promoted as the new coordinator, but head coach Todd Haley will now be calling the plays.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

HoustonFrog
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Man, whackin your OC a week and a half before the season? I think the Chiefs are in for a dismal season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

I was just about to post this. Ruh-Roh Raggy. Not good 2 weeks before the season. Look for alot of Larry Johnson up the middle.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I was just about to post this. Ruh-Roh Raggy. Not good 2 weeks before the season. Look for alot of Larry Johnson up the middle.

Yep, with some Jamaal Charles sprinkled in as well.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Speaking of which, I want to see if LJ can recover from the insane season he had a couple of years ago where he was ridden into the ground like a cheap mule that whizzed on his master's foot.

HoustonFrog
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Speaking of which, I want to see if LJ can recover from the insane season he had a couple of years ago where he was ridden into the ground like a cheap mule that whizzed on his master's foot.

Up until this stuff I had heard that he was primed for a good season and was feeling good. We will see how it works with the starting QB banged up and no OC in place. You'd think they'd use Charles to keep him fresh.

ChampionTexan
08-31-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the Chiefs are in for a long crappy season, but the firing of Gailey doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things.

For one thing, Gailey was a holdover from the last year of Herm, so I'm kind of surprised they kept him to begin with. For another, Haley's a former OC running his offense, so while it may not be a perfect solution, ultimately he's going to sink or swim with that offense, and his guys, and it appears he figured out pretty quick that Gailey didn't fit in. Think of it as the opposite of Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith.

On a related note, I think LJ's seen his best days, and if I had to guess, he'll be somewhere else in 2010. I also think this is a very important season for Duane Bowe. Haley knows what he wants out of a receiver, and while I think Bowe's capable of being a pro-bowl level receiver, I think that if he doesn't get with the program, Haley and Pioli will be willing to move on without him.

The Belichek HC tree has proven to be less than impressive. The Belichek GM tree got off to a much better start with Dimitrov doing what he did last year in Atlanta. We'll see over the next few years whether Pioli adds to that success. Still, even if the future for the Chiefs turns out to be a bright one, it doesn't change the fact that the present is dismal.