PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst FA signings

infantrycak
06-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Stolen concept from ITB.com expanded upon:

Name the best and worst FA signings - not expansion draft, not trades (RFA compensation does not count as a trade) - for the Texans. For refinement, two pairs - best and worst on the day of the signing and in hindsight.

Mine:

At the time: Mark Bruener & Robaire Smith

After the fact: Vonte Leach (Kevin Walter in 1a) & Todd Wade

Goldensilence
06-26-2009, 02:35 AM
To bad you had to go with the RFA comment. I think Kris Brown would've taken that one.

At the time Steve McKinney looked like the best FA signing. Worst FA signing Matt Stevens.

Hindsight I agree on Vonta Leach, guy has been a monster at FB. Much as i hated seeing Matt Stevens roaming the secondary, Anthony Weaver goes down as the biggest waste of a contract ever.

m5kwatts
06-26-2009, 02:41 AM
best - antonio smith

worst - ahman green

Ckw
06-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Best - Kevin Walter
Worst - Todd Wade (sorry to steal yours icak but the guy was a major bust for us)

Grams
06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
At the time - best - A Green
worst - J Reeves

Now - best - K Walter
worst - A Weaver (Mr. Invisible)

Hervoyel
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
The free agent signing that had me most excited about the possibilities at the time was Eric Moulds. I had visions of AJ and Moulds just going wild on the rest of the division. The one I was most unhappy about was Ahman Green. I just never believed from the day it happened.

In hindsight I'd have to say that the best free agent signing had to be Kevin Walter. I had no idea why we wanted this guy and now he's a force. The worst was (unfortunately) Ahman Green who basically held our running game hostage for the better part of three seasons. Anthony Weaver is a close second.

Todd Wade was (IMO) more a victim of circumstance than anything else. The guy starts 61 games for Miami in four years and is perfectly adequate before coming here and seeing his career wither and die. Houston before Kubiak got here was like some kind of offensive lineman burial ground or something. Rookies didn't develop and veterans regressed. It was like the third circle of offensive lineman hell playing here.

Maddict5
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
In hindsight I'd have to say that the best free agent signing had to be Kevin Walter. I had no idea why we wanted this guy and now he's a force. The worst was (unfortunately) Ahman Green who basically held our running game hostage for the better part of three seasons. Anthony Weaver is a close second.

idk how anyone can say green was worse than weaver, especially given the money each signed for. green played well the few games a season he was healthy. weaver was crap from game 1 to game 48.

just to spice things up il mention deljuan, briesel & eugene wilson as pretty solid pick ups

dalemurphy
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
best - antonio smith

worst - ahman green

Perhaps you are new to Texan fandom because Ahman Green doesn't even make the top 5 worst signing list:

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood
5 (tie). Victor Riley/ Matt Stevens

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey

dalemurphy
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM
The free agent signing that had me most excited about the possibilities at the time was Eric Moulds. I had visions of AJ and Moulds just going wild on the rest of the division. The one I was most unhappy about was Ahman Green. I just never believed from the day it happened.

Todd Wade was (IMO) more a victim of circumstance than anything else. The guy starts 61 games for Miami in four years and is perfectly adequate before coming here and seeing his career wither and die. Houston before Kubiak got here was like some kind of offensive lineman burial ground or something. Rookies didn't develop and veterans regressed. It was like the third circle of offensive lineman hell playing here.

He was even worse when he went to Washington. Considering he got a big signing bonus and about $25 million contract, I'd say it was a pretty darn bad contract. More than that, his dead money and lack of productivity were two of many factors that forced the organization to sign Ahman Green- he was all that we could afford and we needed 2 tackles- both of which we acquired in the draft instead of going after a RB on the 1st day.

buddyboy
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Perhaps you are new to Texan fandom because Ahman Green doesn't even make the top 5 worst signing list:

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey

I disagree with him too, but hey, it's his opinion.

Best at the time: Weaver; I was really excited about getting a DE after the year of dismal pass rush...of course, that leads us to...
Worst after the fact: Weaver

Best after the fact: Walter
Worst at the time: Victor Riley

infantrycak
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Worst at the time: Victor Riley

I thought about Riley but for after the fact. At the time I thought it was a blah signing of a backup. I think that is what Casserly brought him in to be. Then the dunder headed coaches started his turnstyle butt giving a new definition to swing tackle.

After the fact he loses in my mind because of the money factor. Sure he sucked, but he didn't also eat $10 mil in cap space.

V3rm0nt3r
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood

i'm not sure i'd have Greenwood on my list. i mean he did get replaced by a rook this year but he was borderline solid for the rest of the time he was here. you're probably counting his contract into your analysis and granted, it was a fat one, its still third on the list of our largest cap casualties behind Weaver and Green.

probably my biggest disappointment was the signing of Jeb Putzier. first off the guy looks like the guy from Remember the Titans so that got me excited and then you look at his numbers and it looked like he was an up and comer having 36 and 37 catches for the Broncos the two years before signing here and by the end of TC he had dropped from our number 1 TE to 3 behind a rook and a relic. very disappointed.

Texan4Ever
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
How is Robaire Smith a "worst" FA signee, I thought he had a solid two seasons with us when we were running our 3-4 defense. Sure he didn't get a lot of sacks but he did make 68 tackles his last season with us and was solid on our defensive line.

Old School -

Best: Jeff Posey

Worst: Todd Wade

New School -

Best: Kevin Walter

Worst: Ahman Green

dalemurphy
06-26-2009, 12:19 PM
How is Robaire Smith a "worst" FA signee, I thought he had a solid two seasons with us when we were running our 3-4 defense. Sure he didn't get a lot of sacks but he did make 68 tackles his last season with us and was solid on our defensive line.

Old School -

Best: Jeff Posey

Worst: Todd Wade

New School -

Worst: Ahman Green

Robaire Smith was an unmotivated, fat, lazy turd who spent two years here before destroying our cap. We signed him for over $30 million and ended up with about $9 million dead money on our '06 books.

dc_txtech
06-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Worst: Anthony Weaver

Best runner up: Vonta Leach

Worst runner up: Morlon Greenwood

dalemurphy
06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
i'm not sure i'd have Greenwood on my list. i mean he did get replaced by a rook this year but he was borderline solid for the rest of the time he was here. you're probably counting his contract into your analysis and granted, it was a fat one, its still third on the list of our largest cap casualties behind Weaver and Green.

probably my biggest disappointment was the signing of Jeb Putzier. first off the guy looks like the guy from Remember the Titans so that got me excited and then you look at his numbers and it looked like he was an up and comer having 36 and 37 catches for the Broncos the two years before signing here and by the end of TC he had dropped from our number 1 TE to 3 behind a rook and a relic. very disappointed.

The quality of a FA signing in the salary cap era is all about the cost of the contract. Every move made has an impact on the next move. Guys on my list like Wade, Robaire Smith had enormous impact on the team's ability to sign players- even 2 years after they were no longer on the team.

Jacques Reeves certainly isn't the CB that Nate Clements is... but, he was a much better signing than Clements' $80 million contract.

ChampionTexan
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Agreed that the Moulds looked good when it occurred, but he was acquired via trade (5th round pick), not free agency.

beerlover
06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Best - Kevin Walter

Worst - Ahman Green

:texflag:

m5kwatts
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey

Too many bad signings with the old regime to count....Ahman Green is the worst FA signing from the new regime whom appears to know what they're doing so I guess thats why its extra notable in my mind. I can agree with your Best list though

painekiller
06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
He was even worse when he went to Washington. Considering he got a big signing bonus and about $25 million contract, I'd say it was a pretty darn bad contract. More than that, his dead money and lack of productivity were two of many factors that forced the organization to sign Ahman Green- he was all that we could afford and we needed 2 tackles- both of which we acquired in the draft instead of going after a RB on the 1st day.

Casserly gave him OLT money. He was signed to be a OLT. But one problem, Casserly had the worse pro scouting department ever. And Wade was not capable of playing OLT. He was at best a washed up ORT in a power scheme. Bad signing because the GM did not know the player did not have the skills to play the position he was signed to play.

BTW they already had sign their ORT in Weigert, they had to move him to RG when Wade did not fit the LT.

Mari-OWNED!
06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
best - antonio smith

Just wondering how you see Antonio Smith as the best free agent signing when he hasn't even played a down of football in a Texans uniform yet? While I do like the signing, for all we know Antonio Smith could be the next Anthony Weaver... (Hope not!)

m5kwatts
06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Just wondering how you see Antonio Smith as the best free agent signing when he hasn't even played a down of football in a Texans uniform yet? While I do like the signing, for all we know Antonio Smith could be the next Anthony Weaver... (Hope not!)

Call it a hunch but I see big big things from Antonio Smith...I have a good feeling about what he's going to bring and when the Texans make the playoffs this year a lot of people will be pointing at Antonio Smith as the big difference maker

beerlover
06-26-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing how he plays against his former team week5.......could be lights out for Warner :goodnight

76Texan
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I saw that Jacques Reeves made the list on both sides of the spectrum! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

IMO, he doesn't make neither list.

Got to add Ferguson to the After-the-fact list.
I thought he would be additional depth, but he had proven to be quite a bit more than that.
And $485K (is this correct?), man the guy busted his hind just for such little change!?!

infantrycak
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Casserly gave him OLT money. He was signed to be a OLT. But one problem, Casserly had the worse pro scouting department ever. And Wade was not capable of playing OLT. He was at best a washed up ORT in a power scheme. Bad signing because the GM did not know the player did not have the skills to play the position he was signed to play.

BTW they already had sign their ORT in Weigert, they had to move him to RG when Wade did not fit the LT.

I don't recall that the same way at all. I believe Wade was signed to be the RT with Wand getting the start at LT. I don't recall Wade ever being considered at LT.

Here is a thread from right after the signing and everyone is contemplating him at RT - Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443&highlight=Wade)

ObsiWan
06-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Worse:
Roosevelt Colvin.
After significant ballyhoo about his pass rushing skills, the dude didn't even make the team. Say what you want about Green or Greenwood but at least they contributed. Colvin didn't play single a regular season down. How many mil did he walk away with by just lasting thru T/C?

Best:
Kevin Walter/Andre Davis
Walter continues to earn his keep as a dependable, "move-the-chains" WR and Davis earned his when A.J. went down in '07 - if used better could do so again (i.e., as 2nd deep threat at #2 WR and let KW work underneath in the slot).

infantrycak
06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Walter continues to earn his keep as a dependable "move-the-chains" WR

I think it is funny how Walter is always described as a possession or move the chains WR and yet his yards per catch is up there in the league. 15 yds per catch last year. Better than Fitz or Santonio Holmes for instance.

painekiller
06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't recall that the same way at all. I believe Wade was signed to be the RT with Wand getting the start at LT. I don't recall Wade ever being considered at LT.

Here is a thread from right after the signing and everyone is contemplating him at RT - Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443&highlight=Wade)

If Casserly signed Wade to that contract to be a RT then he deserves to be on TV second guessing no one.

dalemurphy
06-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Worse:
Roosevelt Colvin.
After significant ballyhoo about his pass rushing skills, the dude didn't even make the team. Say what you want about Green or Greenwood but at least they contributed. Colvin didn't play single a regular season down. How many mil did he walk away with by just lasting thru T/C?

Best:
Kevin Walter/Andre Davis
Walter continues to earn his keep as a dependable "move-the-chains" WR and Davis earned his when A.J. went down in '07 - if used better could do so again (i.e., as 2nd deep threat at #2 WR and let KW work underneath in the slot).

He signed a 1 year contract for about $1 million. And, we signed him after all of our off-season was over. So, while Mr. McNair may not have liked the signing, it had absolutely zero negative impact on the cap or the structure of the football team... Colvin wasn't a bad signing- just a shot in the dark that didn't work out.

infantrycak
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
If Casserly signed Wade to that contract to be a RT then he deserves to be on TV second guessing no one.

Now that is a fair comment. Wade was regarded that off-season as a top tier OL FA, but at RT. CC or the contract people paid him too much, no doubt. Frankly IMO that makes CC look worse than your version.

Of course ignorant old me, I am still trying to figure out how many seasons have been pissed away on hopes and dreams of getting a LT when Pitts would have done a better job - not pro bowl job, just better than what they fielded. I am under no delusion he would ever have been stellar, but working mano o mano is his gig and I think the coaches on both staffs have made a mistake pigeonholing him to G prior to getting a real LT.

GP
06-27-2009, 11:22 AM

I recall Wade being signed for the right side of the line, as well. Or that might have been what we were all speculating he'd play when we signed him.

Either way, there were some people on here (can't remember who) who said this was a bad deal. The money, his skills, and the projected outcome of Wade on our team was scrutinized heavily by some people on here.

And I remember thinking, when I read their opinions, that I hope they were wrong. We got into the season, and it was pretty apparent that he was doomed. I mean, there was just no way to talk it up. It was bad.

Wade is my choice for worst signing, due to all factors involved. There was a lot of hope pinned upon having that right side to run the ball to.

Best signing: Kevin Walter.

He was buried behind TJ and Chad Johnson in Cincy, and the idea that he could come in and be a contributor of real value was debated. He seemed like a good locker room guy, he seemed like a hard worker, but would he translate to anything of real lasting value on the field where it counted? He has. The guy is consistent. He adjusts to the developing situations, finds the spots where he can catch a ball, and he doesn't make stupid mistakes.

He's automatic; a reliable piece of football machinery that you don't have to worry about. Great free agent signing, IMO.

Second Honeymoon
06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
best - antonio smith

worst - ahman green

before he plays a down he is the best FA? cmon now. the guy is an average to above average DE...nothing more and nothing less.

painekiller
06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Of course ignorant old me, I am still trying to figure out how many seasons have been pissed away on hopes and dreams of getting a LT when Pitts would have done a better job - not pro bowl job, just better than what they fielded. I am under no delusion he would ever have been stellar, but working mano o mano is his gig and I think the coaches on both staffs have made a mistake pigeonholing him to G prior to getting a real LT.

Being older than you, I had the same delusions. But I was always second guessed by the OL coaches we had. I thought Chester was OK at LT his 2nd season, certainly not the worse player on the line. AT that time McKinney and middle seemed to be the problem.

Heck I would have started him (Pitts) at LT until Brown was ready. When will this team train it's OTs by having them play OGs?

texasguy346
06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Wasn't Wong a FA signing? If so I'd have to put him up there as one of our best signings.

V3rm0nt3r
06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
The quality of a FA signing in the salary cap era is all about the cost of the contract. Every move made has an impact on the next move. Guys on my list like Wade, Robaire Smith had enormous impact on the team's ability to sign players- even 2 years after they were no longer on the team.

Jacques Reeves certainly isn't the CB that Nate Clements is... but, he was a much better signing than Clements' $80 million contract.

then we grade signings differently. you look at the amount we are paying a player compared to his play and the quality of play has to break even with the dollar signs we're sending their way. this makes sense in a lot of ways especially for a team like New England and the Giants. but as you and i both know the Texans have been scraping the bottom of the barrel of FA's since their inaugural year which means that the same quality players the Pats are getting for 2-3 million are costing us 5-6 (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) so i believe that a little wiggle room is needed when you look at the contracts that we handed out especially up until 08. that's why i look at the play first and then at the contract numbers.

Greenwood, although he wasn't a god by any means, he did upgrade our LB corps and evolve a below average corps into mediocrity and for that, i think it was an average signing instead of one of the worst.

beerlover
06-27-2009, 12:58 PM

can't mess with V3rmOnt3r he knows his football - BL

numbers aside this thread is more about who sucked most on the field not about who's agent bleed Texans brain trust :shades:

TimeKiller
06-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Worst: Anthony Weaver

Best runner up: Vonta Leach

Worst runner up: Morlon Greenwood

I need not retype it. This is mine too, I guess I've only been paying close enough attention since about 2004

dc_txtech
06-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I need not retype it. This is mine too, I guess I've only been paying close enough attention since about 2004

I try to block out the early years.

dalemurphy
06-27-2009, 02:17 PM

numbers aside this thread is more about who sucked most on the field not about who's agent bleed Texans brain trust :shades:

Well, if it's about who made the Texans suck on the field the most, then you have to factor in the contract and the cap ramifications. FA is all about allocation of limited resources.

Claiming that Colvin is the worst FA signing is like arguing that David Anderson was a worse draft pick than Travis Johnson because Anderson hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup... ignoring the fact that one was drafted in round 7 and the other in the 1st.

ObsiWan
06-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I think it is funny how Walter is always described as a possession or move the chains WR and yet his yards per catch is up there in the league. 15 yds per catch last year. Better than Fitz or Santonio Holmes for instance.

Ain't nothin' wrong with being a "move-the-chains" guy. How many chances would Moss have if Welker didn't move the chains? I can't think of many #2 WRs I'd trade KW for straight up. The aforementioned Welker maybe... Bolden... maybe... but his price tag would be a cap-wrecker.

don't mistake my meaning, I didn't mean it as a slight; having a dependable, move-the-chains WR is crucial to offensive success.

ObsiWan
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Well, if it's about who made the Texans suck on the field the most, then you have to factor in the contract and the cap ramifications. FA is all about allocation of limited resources.

Claiming that Colvin is the worst FA signing is like arguing that David Anderson was a worse draft pick than Travis Johnson because Anderson hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup... ignoring the fact that one was drafted in round 7 and the other in the 1st.

Anderson has contributed to the team's success. Colvin never did.
Pick a better example.

And if this a return-on-investment thread, as opposed to lack of a contribution; then Weaver, instead of Colvin, has to be at the top of the "Worse" list. Walter, Leach (I didn't name him because several others already had - seemed obvious), and A. Davis (use his original contract, not the new one) are still at the top of the "Best" list.

V3rm0nt3r
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM

damn straight.

i apologize for not adding that to my sig but its just getting too ********** long. i guess i've just got to stop making such compelling arguments, eh? sorry my canadian side is showing.

Hervoyel
06-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Agreed that the Moulds looked good when it occurred, but he was acquired via trade (5th round pick), not free agency.

Doh! You're right. I got to find me a new pick for that one.

Hervoyel
06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Pick a better example.

And if this a return-on-investment thread, as opposed to lack of a contribution; then Weaver, instead of Colvin, has to be at the top of the "Worse" list. Walter, Leach (I didn't name him because several others already had - seemed obvious), and A. Davis (use his original contract, not the new one) are still at the top of the "Best" list.

See that's really kind of what I was thinking. There are different ways to look at this. Dale Murphy keeps talking about salary cap damage and that's a legitimate approach to this. I've kind of focused on what I hoped for/expected and what I got and I think that's just as valid a way to answer this question. I think you could probably look at it in just numbers of games actually played/started and come up with a whole other set of guys like Colvin who got signed and never did anything or maybe someone might look at a player who started a lot of games for us but was totally mediocre the whole time and call that the worst signing.

It's subjective.

Instead of a single question like this I'd like to see a series of polls done where each free agent (excluding just total no-names and camp fodder of course) gets thrown out there for people to vote on them as either good, bad, or no opinion. That way we could get the general consensus of the people here on each player and then we can always debate their relative merits/cost/actual vs hoped for outcome/whatever.

dalemurphy
06-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Pick a better example.

The point I was making is that you don't grade a 7th round pick and a 1st round pick the same. Based on what was invested in D.Anderson, there is much less risk and also less expected than that of a 1st round pick. Free Agency should be looked at similarly. Just because Antonio Smith makes the 53 man roster this season does not mean that he was a better signing that Colvin. Smith was given a significant contract and therefore must produce more for the team

mancunian
06-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Reading through the thread we did sign some pretty poor FA - Wade, Riley, Stevens and some who gave flashed but didn't live up to expectations, Green, Smith.

I think Bruener and Walter have been the best FA signings on offence, and Eugene Wilson did a decent job last season.

I was going to add Sharper and Glenn but I seem to recall they were part of the expansion draft.

Lucky
06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
At the time of signing:

Best Free Agent: Todd Wade - I was very happy that the Texans were trying to upgrade th offensive line. Wade was a proven RT and had helped paved the way for Ricky Williams' best season in Miami. Ankle injuries and a sack-prone QB derailed his career as a Texan.

Worst Free Agent: I usually gave the Texans the benefit of the doubt regarding free agent signings. And still do. But, the Zach Wiegert signing in 2003 bothered me. Wiegert was a reserve guard/tackle for the Jags and Casserly was paying him as a top 10 guard.

After the fact:

Best Free Agent: Kris Brown - Obtained as a RFA in 2002, Brown is an original Texan and has been a key component to many of the Texans victories. Not to mention Brown's poor (yet timely) performance in 2005, which was vital to the Texans winning the Mario Williams sweepstakes.

Worst Free Agent: Anthony Weaver - At a time when the franchise's salary cap was hemorraging with bad contracts, Weaver was inked to a fat $25 million deal. Advertised as a run stuffing LDE with occasional pass rush ability, Weaver left Houston with one sack in 46 games and footprints across his jersey. He was best known as a "coverage end". The wrong player, at the wrong place, at the wrong time makes Anthony Weaver the worst (among many) of the bad free agent signings by the Texans.

76Texan
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Worse:
Roosevelt Colvin.

Best:
Kevin Walter/Andre Davis
Walter continues to earn his keep as a dependable, "move-the-chains" WR and Davis earned his when A.J. went down in '07 - if used better could do so again (i.e., as 2nd deep threat at #2 WR and let KW work underneath in the slot).
Just to clarify this part.
I think Colvin was guaranteed 500K. He didn't make the roster so he shouldnt get the roster bonus and the rest of the money.
Since Colvin was a Ricky's guy, Ima thinking may be Rick convinced Kubiak to give it a shot, but in the end, Kubiak elected to give one of the younger guys a chance.

The Pats did pick up Colvin later on toward the end of the year. They were depleted in the LB corp. But heck, for an old guy to come in and got 3 starts (all wins - including a 47-7 thrashing of the Cards and a shutout at Buffalo), he didn't do too shabbily, except for not logging any sacks.

infantrycak
06-28-2009, 12:47 PM

To invoke the privilege of the thread starter, I think it is absolutely a key element of the conversation to consider the cost of the player.

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Just to clarify this part.
I think Colvin was guaranteed 500K. He didn't make the roster so he shouldnt get the roster bonus and the rest of the money.
Since Colvin was a Ricky's guy, Ima thinking may be Rick convinced Kubiak to give it a shot, but in the end, Kubiak elected to give one of the younger guys a chance.

The Pats did pick up Colvin later on toward the end of the year. They were depleted in the LB corp. But heck, for an old guy to come in and got 3 starts (all wins - including a 47-7 thrashing of the Cards and a shutout at Buffalo), he didn't do too shabbily, except for not logging any sacks.

In 2008, Colvin gets a base salary of $1 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2009, Colvin gets a base salary of $3 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2010, Colvin gets a base salary of $3.5 million, with no guarantee. He gets a roster bonus of $343,000.

Since Colvin was signed in June and released in August, He would have received the $500,000 signing bonus. As far as the roster bonus of $343,750, I don't remember hearing what happened there. It depends if the contract was written specifically to the "active roster," or differently because of the late original signing.

The thing to note is that typically the roster bonus is not counted towards the cap unless it is earned. However, when the signing bonus is guaranteed, the risk of making the team in order to receive payment of the bonus is eliminated because the NFL CBA be treated like a "signing bonus" for purposes of the salary cap. In other words, if it acts acts like a signing bonus it will be treated as such no matter how the parties try to label it in the contract. It leaves me with some confusion as to how much the Texans really were on the the hook cap wise????